Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-18-2014, 07:50 AM
http://i.imgur.com/vqNEvTp.jpg

Alternative title:
Sidonia no Kishi (Japanese)
シドニアの騎士 (Japanese)

Genres: adventure, science fiction

Themes: mecha, military, real robot, space opera

Plot Summary: It's been a thousand years since the Gauna, a strange alien race with no known method of communication, destroyed the solar system. A portion of humanity managed to escape using enormous "seed ships" like the Sidonia, which have allowed them to maintain the population while drifting through space. Nagate Tanikaze is a young man who has been raised deep in the bowels of the ship. When he goes into training to pilot the huge robotic weapons known as Gardes, Nagate is entrusted with piloting the legendary unit known as Tsugumori. Nagate and his fellow pilots put their lives on the line against the Gauna, in the ultimate battle for the survival of humanity. -ANN

Links: ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=15496), AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=9892), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/19775/)

[DeadFish] Sidonia no Kishi - 01v2 [720p][AAC].mp4 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=544646)

[DeadFish] Sidonia no Kishi - 02v2 [720p][AAC].mp4 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=546813)

[DeadFish] Sidonia no Kishi - 03 [720p][AAC].mp4 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=547345)

[DeadFish] Sidonia no Kishi - 04 [720p][AAC].mp4 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=549846)

[DeadFish] Sidonia no Kishi - 05 [720p][AAC].mp4 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=552354)

[DeadFish] Sidonia no Kishi - 06 [720p][AAC].mp4 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=555540)

--------------------------------------------

I can't believe they killed off Hoshijiro?! :'(

She was really sweet. I felt bad about Izana never getting a chance but if it was Hoshijiro then I was okay with it. I don't know if I want to watch this anymore now.

I bet you it's that asshole's fault. Everything happened during that battle was his fault.

Xelbair
Sun, 05-18-2014, 08:05 AM
Probably yeah, and he made MC take all the blame.

David75
Sun, 05-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Hard to tell what happened, but we'll have an explanation next week.
Regarding Hoshijiro, she had deathflags over her head for all of the ep... the batiscaph being the greatest one.
And I do not think she somehow escaped her death, unless they go the -"I feel like they can't communicate with us, but I might be able to do something about it"- route.
She voiced something like that, and there are the scenes with the girl's assimilation and then morphing copy. Also the scene with the first even gauna to try to take some kind of human form.

Isn't Izana some kind of Trap, being thirdsex and all? She's nice and all, but Hoshijiro grew on me faster.
And I guess there's another girl who wants to get near our MC.

That ep was more and more about political struggles and how that kunato tries to take the light, but also the older generations and how they manage the ship. Hard to know why that leader wanted to confront the Gaunas, maybe to get rid of those elders in their strange coffins?

I hope we get back to action soon. I think what got me hooked to that show was the mech action that is so cristal clear and easy to read and feels very smooth.

Kraco
Sun, 05-18-2014, 04:54 PM
Deadfish? Really, Bill? Not that I care, taking everything from bots, but that's just sad.

Hoshijiro had a dead flag hanging over her from the beginning. I assume Izana is the real deal, and Hoshijiro was merely a device to develop both Tanikaze and Izana. Obviously Izana has liked Tanikaze for a long while now, but perhaps now enough to go for the female gender in order to be with Tanikaze as a girl. I guess that third gender needs to decide sooner or later which one to become. It was a bit cruel Hoshijiro got such nice development despite being doomed to die, but of course it wouldn't otherwise have had much believability.

I feel like this was quite annoying dramaturgic play, though, to skip the fight and only show the end result. Naturally it was effective in the sense that Tanikaze's amnesia was this way shared with the audience, but I can't help but think we missed a badass fight where Hoshijiro heroically sacrificed herself to save Tanikaze.

Kunato being the real reason behind this sounds quite plausible. That man is a real snake.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-19-2014, 03:47 AM
The dead flag was raised indeed. It doesn't take away from the frown that's on my face for them doing that though..

@Kraco: It's deadfish or Underwater, and the latter encodes using twice the size and also with 10bit instead of 8bit. That generally means takes longer to download, uses more HDD space and plays less smoothly on my smartphone if I had to watch it that way. Deadfish has no problem.

Kraco
Mon, 05-19-2014, 06:24 AM
@Kraco: It's deadfish or Underwater, and the latter encodes using twice the size and also with 10bit instead of 8bit. That generally means takes longer to download, uses more HDD space and plays less smoothly on my smartphone if I had to watch it that way. Deadfish has no problem.

I bet it does wonders to the video to reencode it from 10-bit to 8-bit and halve the file size in the process. It probably only looks good on that tiny phone screen.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-19-2014, 07:49 AM
I bet it does wonders to the video to reencode it from 10-bit to 8-bit and halve the file size in the process. It probably only looks good on that tiny phone screen.

Are you saying that that raws come in 10-bit format? I don't see that being the case.

I've also watched both and don't notice any quality difference.

Kraco
Mon, 05-19-2014, 08:43 AM
Are you saying that that raws come in 10-bit format? I don't see that being the case.

I've also watched both and don't notice any quality difference.

I don't know about the raws. But there's something very suspicious about how all the Deadfish releases always appear right after the releases of established groups. If some show has a couple of subbers, it might get two Deadfish releases. I'd bet a beer on Mr. Deadfish pushing the whole mkv into his encoding program and processing it into 8-bit mp4. A process of a few mouse clicks. Of course I could be wrong as well, but this isn't really even the thread for that. My mistake for starting this offtopic discussion with what I intended only a sarcastic remark.

David75
Mon, 05-19-2014, 01:16 PM
I'd fear losing some clarity and worse losing some fluidity in the animation.
Moreover DF is flagged in red by nyaa... that's reason enough to avoid them. And Kraco is right, it's probably just a fast re-encode.
But everyone's free of downloading the version they see fit.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 05-20-2014, 09:14 AM
I just marathoned this last night and it was pretty good. It has finally caught up to how far I have read in the manga, so it will only get more interesting for me from here.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-23-2014, 05:58 AM
Underwater - Episode 07 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=557342)

David75
Fri, 05-23-2014, 07:12 AM
Kunato is a war criminal bastard on so many levels. It was expected, but at that level it's quite impressive.
Not much to tell about the ep, I just hope our new XO will be able to put a stop to Kunato's ill behavior. After all, she was able to hack to system to get Tanikaze's flight data in ep2. She should be able to get traces of Kunato's private audio channel. Even if she does not get audio, the time stamps for the opening and closing of audio channels are enough to get a good idea of what happened.

Preview
So Gaunas adapt that quickly. Nice red, easier to tell who's who in close combat.

Kraco
Fri, 05-23-2014, 01:25 PM
So Gaunas adapt that quickly. Nice red, easier to tell who's who in close combat.

As long as we won't get any "No, I can't fight it, it's Hoshijiro!" scenes from Tanikaze.

David75
Fri, 05-23-2014, 03:05 PM
He was on the verge of that with that girl that hated him... so I hope they didn't use that easy story plot.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-23-2014, 10:29 PM
I am thinking of so many ways to mutilate Kunato right now. I can't remember the last time I had such sheer dislike for a character. Guess I just adore Hoshijiro that much.

I'm all for seeing her again. If the Gauna doesn't just look like her, but also acts like her then I might even defect over to them. You'd seriously think that in a place like Sidonia where a militant government is everything that there'd be taps on all communication lines. I'm not a fan of monitoring civilian conversations, but I do believe that high risk and work environment communications should be logged. Even if they're not actively monitored and stored in some server, a black-box system for post-accident investigation should be a no-brainer.

David75
Sat, 05-24-2014, 01:55 AM
They are not civilians, they are pilot soldiers. Even more reasons to have full monitoring. The private channel being just a way of passing specific orders without spaming everyone, and not a way of hiding coms from everyone including the chain of command.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-24-2014, 02:17 AM
They are not civilians, they are pilot soldiers. Even more reasons to have full monitoring. The private channel being just a way of passing specific orders without spaming everyone, and not a way of hiding coms from everyone including the chain of command.

Yeah, which is why I'm pissed that the convo wasn't actually known about. I simply wanted to point out that I wasn't a fan of monitoring civilian lines (1984, rumoured current USA practices), but that military lines should be.

Kraco
Sat, 05-24-2014, 04:13 AM
They didn't even ask Tanikaze, when he woke up, for his version of what the hell happened, so it's safe to say nobody gives a shit anymore. They might even already know Kunato's stupid trick with the com lines, as such a thing should be exceedingly easy to check, like you said. If they even bothered to check the logs.

All in all, as funny as Tanikaze's ignorance, naivety, social ineptness, and general immaturity were in the scenes where it didn't matter, I still think this was a bloody good lesson for him. Too bad about Hoshijiro, she was a heavy price to pay to give him a lesson, but he surely and sorely needed it. Perhaps he will become more jaded, less trusting, and generally more like a soldier as a result. He has spent enough time already wandering around like a little kid, gawking at things and being made fun of.

Besides, Hoshijiro's death was his fault. The failure to cut the tail was Kunato's fault, but Hoshijiro's blood is solely on Tanikaze's hands. He remained behind, sitting still in the middle of the battle, making Hoshijiro sacrifice herself to save him.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-24-2014, 05:25 AM
What I would say is that Tanikaze was the direct cause of Hoshijiro's death, while Kunato indirectly caused it. However, I would say that Tanikaze is not criminally liable for his actions, while Kunato is.

Kraco
Sat, 05-24-2014, 06:17 AM
What I would say is that Tanikaze was the direct cause of Hoshijiro's death, while Kunato indirectly caused it. However, I would say that Tanikaze is not criminally liable for his actions, while Kunato is.

I wouldn't be so sure of Kunato's liability what comes to Hoshijiro's fate. He's naturally 100% liable for the partial failure of the military operation, but when you look at the battle objectively, everybody's life is at great danger all the time and anything could happen, so they should be 100% concentrated on their own fight or they almost invariably invite disaster. Even if they had successfully destroyed the tail, something could have happened. Right in the beginning of the battle some mecha/pilots went quickly out of commission. By ignoring the orders to withdraw and regroup and instead sitting still Tanikaze risked not only the precious vehicle he was piloting but also his unit's efficiency. I'm pretty sure he also committed a transgression by doing that. But seeing how much he already suffered for causing Hoshijiro's demise, I guess he doesn't need another punishment.

This is basically what I was saying in my previous post: Even if shit happens, he still needs to keep piloting, not lose it. Interestingly enough in the previous battle he was able to do that. It must be his utter naivety that caused his brain freeze this time, as he couldn't cope with human error (even if it was an error made on purpose).

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-24-2014, 06:32 AM
It was more the fact that this bizarre "error" caused the death of other pilots. That was the shock to Tanikaze. I suppose if you look at it from the viewpoint of Hoshijiro voluntarily sacrificing herself for Tanikaze then the main fault lies with him...

This issue's a little hard for me to work out since while they're pilots they don't seem to have the mental conditioning of soldiers, so whose fault is it that one breaks down in battle like that?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Underwater - Episode 08 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=559773)

Kraco
Fri, 05-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Hoshijiro made quite a comeback. As something unnatural and with multiple clones, to boot. At least Tanikaze didn't get paralyzed by this surprise, even if he probably wasn't fighting with 100% intention to kill, despite the most efficient Hoshijiro decimating a whole team. Kunato's behavior or performance, however... Well, I'm sure he won't be gathering much praise and interviews this time.

Looks like there won't be much rest for Tanikaze if he's to either participate in every fight or land in a prison cell.

David75
Fri, 05-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Space fights are still well done in that anime. And by contrast, face animation and body language/motion are abysmally awful.
Some background to the story was needed, we got some.
The only downside to the ep is that Hoshijiro really became an hybrid/bridge between humans and gauna. I just hope they do not go too far in tropes when bridging the gap. Because that's already borderline lame.

Xelbair
Sat, 05-31-2014, 05:18 AM
I find it interesting that Kunato was basically incapacitated because he had to fight Hoshijiro clones.

Kraco
Sat, 05-31-2014, 06:19 AM
I find it interesting that Kunato was basically incapacitated because he had to fight Hoshijiro clones.

Yeah. The dude can backstab others even if it means failing a critical mission, but he can't fight against clones of dead people in an honest fight. Quite a soldier.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-31-2014, 07:39 AM
Space fights are still well done in that anime. And by contrast, face animation and body language/motion are abysmally awful.

I don't mind the face so much since it's not terribly important here, but the space fight themselves still feel choppy. :(

I'm really hoping that Kunato's not this way simply because he knows Hoshijiro, but because he feels guilt for killing her indirectly. I wanted him to die this episode, but maybe seeing him suffer for a little longer would quench my thirst for revenge better.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 05-31-2014, 08:20 AM
Well, Hoshijirou dying was not part of his plan. Part of the reason he wanted Nagate dead is because he got so close to Hoshijirou after all. He definitely feels guilt and regret towards Hoshijirou at least.

Kraco
Sat, 05-31-2014, 10:59 AM
I wanted him to die this episode, but maybe seeing him suffer for a little longer would quench my thirst for revenge better.

Does it even matter? This episode at the latest proved he's a really small fry and probably inconsequential on his own, though he might become somebody's tool. I like to hate villains, especially backstabbing, scheming ones, as much the next viewer, but I don't really feel like Kunato deserves much of anything. He's just negligible, and he knows it himself by now.

Kraco
Fri, 06-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Episode 9 - Underwater (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=561944)

- - - - - - -

Even though they are irreplaceable and thus need to be kept in the safest possible location, it still seems a bit unwise to collect them all in a single compartment. Sidonia has got invaded before in the history, with grim consequences, so it would make sense to divide them somewhat, lest they find themselves in a situation where they can't access the lances at all. I hope the scientist has the wits to report this finding immediately.

I'm kind of glad it seems now like Hoshijiro is more a spy, knowingly or unknowingly, than really a resurrected person. Not because my initial assessment of her role in the show would be proven wrong, but because I'd rather have Tanikaze move on. More specifically I'd like that third gender person Izana to step forward and become a girl. That could be interesting. More interesting than Tanikaze dreaming of a corpse.

I'd expect Kunato to sneak downstairs at some point to manage to get all hell break loose by dealing with the resident mad scientist. Kunato is exactly the kind of person the detainee could use: Arrogantly sure of his own worth (and equally sure of other people's wothtlessness), obsessed with power, fame, and glory, thinking he's above the commoners' law, has lots of resources at his disposal, and has already sullied his hands with blood yet will easily blame others for his own mistakes. A mad scientist couldn't possibly hope for a better tool.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-06-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm rooting for placenta Hoshijirou. The way she made those sounds with that stoic face was so cute.

Why did they have to kill off the cutest girl in the show..? I prefer XO over Izana. I like the third sex angle, but the character design and personality does not appeal to me much.

It really does seem like the Gauna will not attack humans if they just let go of the Kabizashi, and I think Kobayashi and the other immortals know it. Why then do they obsess with exterminating the Gauna?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-06-2014, 10:43 PM
Why did they have to kill off the cutest girl in the show..? I prefer XO over Izana. I like the third sex angle, but the character design and personality does not appeal to me much.

Izana's grandmother's on the list.

Does it even matter? This episode at the latest proved he's a really small fry and probably inconsequential on his own, though he might become somebody's tool. I like to hate villains, especially backstabbing, scheming ones, as much the next viewer, but I don't really feel like Kunato deserves much of anything. He's just negligible, and he knows it himself by now.

Gotta kill the small fries while they're small. Now he'll help the mad scientist guy and piss me off all the more.

Kraco
Sat, 06-07-2014, 02:44 AM
It really does seem like the Gauna will not attack humans if they just let go of the Kabizashi, and I think Kobayashi and the other immortals know it. Why then do they obsess with exterminating the Gauna?

Do you remember from the history lessons how the long war and exodus began? I seem to recall humans had no luck whatsoever fighting the invading Gauna until they found some wreck and gained the Kabizashi. Or was it the other way around? Humans found some wreck and after they were fooling around with Kabizashi, the Gauna attacked? If it's the former, then the people leaving Sidonia and settling down somewhere without defenses would only survive if the Gauna have evolved not to care anymore. If it's the latter, then they might have good chances.

I guess the Kabizashi are somehow linked to the Gauna on a deeper level than merely being able to slay the things.

Xelbair
Sat, 06-07-2014, 04:44 AM
I would rather say that Kabizashi attracts Gauna, but lack of Kabizashi does not prevent Gauna attacks.

David75
Sun, 06-08-2014, 01:57 AM
I have mixed feelings about placenta Hoshijiro. She's something else, yet is the closest thing to late Hoshijiro.
That girl stated she's 100% placenta, so Nagate should just keep that in mind. Not that it would change a lot if he had to meet placenta animated corpse Hoshijiro...
Also, there's another Hoshijiro around, the one with top notch pilot skills still flying around. That could be the corpse placenta animated one. Nagate would get several flavors of Hoshijiro, if he can survive meeting them :D
It seems that version is a lot more evolved, if it's the one that was talking on their coms, it also come with perfect speech and the brains that support speech and context speech.

Other than that, the ep felt slow because of politics and other details. I know it's important for story building, but it's the action that attracted me to the show in the first place.

Kraco
Fri, 06-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Episode 10 - Underwater (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=564300)

-- - - - - - -- -

Pretty significant things happened in this episode. It's also quite fitting for a space combat opera that right when they thought they gained a new, effective weapon against the enemy, the enemy simply summarily sends in some new, terrifying thing of its own, rendering the progress null. Nevertheless, it has to be healthier especially for the green pilots to be able to shoot from a distance instead of closing in with a lance.

Other than that, it's getting pretty hard to consider Izana a third gender anymore and not a girl. She was certainly more girly than Midorikawa in this episode. I was also satisfied with how she couldn't be happy about the promotion, realising it's a veritable death sentence. I'm not sure what to think about Hoshijiro's gauna clone's development, and especially how Tanikaze is clearly transferring his love to that monster.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-13-2014, 02:41 PM
More Hoshijirou love!!!

I wonder if humans and gauna can procreate.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-13-2014, 09:51 PM
More Hoshijirou love!!!

I wonder if humans and gauna can procreate.

Well.. that depends on how exactly Odaichi managed to "create" that hybrid.

I'm not sure what to think about Hoshijiro's gauna clone's development, and especially how Tanikaze is clearly transferring his love to that monster.

Same. It's clearly not going to work out, even if things are happy right at this moment.

deathnightwc3
Sat, 06-14-2014, 12:34 AM
With the way things have gone so far, I expected her to burst through the barrier and kill the girl with glasses. I'm just waiting for it to happen.

Kraco
Fri, 06-20-2014, 07:44 AM
Episode 11 - Underwater (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=566246)

- - - - - - --

The fights in this show are deliciously brutal and merciless. I can't blame Izana for being sorry because of her promotion. It's truly a death sentence. The new guns didn't end up mattering a whole lot with an enemy that numerous. The more capable clone participating in the fight certainly didn't make things easier. It looks like it was mainly responsible for single-handedly annihilating the second platoon. Sidonia really needs to get rid of it. Too bad they can't afford any time right now.

In the preview, was it Izana dead or wounded? If it was her, I doubt she would be dead, though. Or at least I hope so. At the very least I don't want an Izana clone fighting for the enemy.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-20-2014, 10:26 AM
I'd say Izana was wounded. Normally dead would require a lot... more.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-20-2014, 10:28 AM
More what.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-20-2014, 10:49 AM
More what.

More "visual injury". Seeing a pilot in their cockpit unconscious with only some blood dripping down (not coughing it up) doesn't shout "dead" loud enough for me.

Xelbair
Sat, 06-21-2014, 07:49 AM
I really love fights in this show - every bullet, every weapon takes quite some time to travel - no instant hits etc.
Also - i really like that translator used Exterminatus as a name for planet killing warhead(i hope that at least some of you got the reference).

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-27-2014, 06:48 AM
HS - Episode 12 (END) (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=568533)

----------------------------------

Good to know there's an S2 coming. Izuna should realise now that she can't beat a real girl. Kunato coming back into the picture is a bad sign. He's sure to backstab again.

I'm guessing placenta-Hoshijiro disappeared now that her main body was killed.. though it appears that she's not fully dead yet. Maybe her real body is a giant Hive type and everything that comes off it are just sentient nodes.

Kraco
Fri, 06-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Izuna should realise now that she can't beat a real girl.

Was I just misinterpreting something in the past when I thought this third gender is supposed to develop into either men or woman at some point (possibly to suit a partner)?

Kunato coming back into the picture is a bad sign. He's sure to backstab again.

Who knows. He seemed to be genuinely moved, unless he was crying out of envious frustration and self-pity. I still think he will unleash something hellish by releasing the mad scientist locked downstairs. But he might do it out of wanting to do something good for Sidonia, after all. The worst deeds are done with the best of intentions, like they say. However, if that happens, I'd kind of expect the hellspawn he releases to be of use later in some form, after much struggle. They can't keep losing 3/4 of their pilots/units in a battle, after all, so they need to come up with something new again.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Was I just misinterpreting something in the past when I thought this third gender is supposed to develop into either men or woman at some point (possibly to suit a partner)?

You're correct, that's the case. Izana should change already.

David75
Sat, 06-28-2014, 01:11 AM
Didn't Izana develop some breast?
Seems like some curves appeared. I remarked that in the Izana/Ren scene.

Kraco
Sat, 06-28-2014, 03:08 AM
You're correct, that's the case. Izana should change already.

Didn't Izana develop some breast?
Seems like some curves appeared. I remarked that in the Izana/Ren scene.

I thought so as well. In other words, she merely needs some time to be ready to compete for Tanikaze's favour. In fact I reckon it might be even interesting for Tanikaze to watch Izana develop into a proper woman over most likely a relatively short time. Still, considering how many girls seem interested in the dude, who knows if she has any time to waste. It doesn't really look like she has the aptitude to win over a man, despite being relatively aggressive on Sidonia scale.

David75
Sat, 06-28-2014, 04:59 AM
She's aggressive and she's the one who saved his ass too, with a passionate mech embrace too. Strange to write that those two mechs in that configuration did exude some passion/feeling. But that's how I interpreted it at the time.
But the thing is, Tanikaze was out cold at the time and anything Izana does might prove useless if Tanikaze feels nothing more than friendship or generic "love for all Sidonian" as even Judas can have it...

Kraco
Sat, 06-28-2014, 05:08 AM
But the thing is, Tanikaze was out cold at the time and anything Izana does might prove useless if Tanikaze feels nothing more than friendship or generic "love for all Sidonian" as even Judas can have it...

He's just dense, which in this case is a bit forgivable, more so than in shounen anime generally, since he spent his whole life in isolation, only with a grandpa and a mecha fight simulator as his companions. I wouldn't be so sure he has really realised he was in love with Hoshijiro. He probably doesn't recognize the feeling. He needs a girl to really push herself on him and tell him what's what. If the Hoshijiro clone is now gone, perhaps real girls (including Izana) will have a better chance. But they really need to be aggressive as the dude himself is only aggressive in combat.

lelouch
Sat, 06-28-2014, 11:08 PM
wait what happened?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-28-2014, 11:16 PM
wait what happened?

-Benisuzume killed off the Group 2 who were supposed to take out the tail
-Benisuzume tried to go for Group 1
-Tanikaze took on Benisuzume in a fight and won
-Laser was fired to break a whole in the placenta of giant Gauna
-Group 1 flew in and killed giant Gauna
-Anti-planet missile blew up the planet that giant Gauna was riding with so that it wouldn't collide with Sidonia
-Placenta-Hoshijiro seems to have disappeared
-A more advanced, humanoid Gauna suspected of being ?another Hoshijiro appeared.

lelouch
Sat, 06-28-2014, 11:25 PM
Why did Hoshijiro disappear? If that new gauna humanoid (gaunamoid? gaunam? gundam?) is another hoshijiro, why didnt she disappear too? Sidonia seemed relatively far away - what was the point of the anti-planet nuke if the gauna was already bubbling away? Seems like an anti-climactic season finale..

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-28-2014, 11:36 PM
Why did Hoshijiro disappear? If that new gauna humanoid (gaunamoid? gaunam? gundam?) is another hoshijiro, why didnt she disappear too?

The new humanoid seemed even more flamboyant/advanced than the Benisuzume that Tanikaze killed. I guess that as clones/nodes are created they're less advanced. Placenta-Hoshijiro disappeared because the Benisuzume she was created from died. Benisuzume was created from our new unknown Gauna, which is why the new one is still alive.

Sidonia seemed relatively far away - what was the point of the anti-planet nuke if the gauna was already bubbling away? Seems like an anti-climactic season finale..

First Sidonia tried to evade the Gauna, but that didn't work.
Then they tried the Exterminatus to blow them up, but the Gauna caught onto it and tried shooting it down.
In response, Sidonia lasered the placenta so the humans could kill the Gauna first.

I suppose you could argue that without a Gauna to change follow Sidonia, the rock could have missed. We won't know that. The missile may not have been able to be deactivated from afar. The laser was a last-ditch approach (and therefore used after the missile idea) because it used up the vast majority of Sidonia's particles. Missiles weren't quite as expensive.
The laser approach was only possible as well after they confirmed that the Gauna was hollow for the most part.

Xelbair
Sun, 06-29-2014, 09:07 AM
If i recall right cutting off part of Gauna before destroying the core keeps the part alive for some time before it bubbles up. That might explain why Hoshi-Gauna disappeared.

MFauli
Wed, 07-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Just finished watching episode 3. Can anyone tell me why I ignored this anime? I certainly cannot.

Fantastic atmosphere, reminds me totally of Blame!. Computer-animations are noticable, but good enough not to ruin it.

Really like the artstyle, looks so gritty, again, reminds me of the good, old stuff like Blame! or even Akira.

The setting is nicely unique, the whole structure of their home planetoid. And the third gender-thing is a nice twist, too.

Will catch up soon enough, unfortunately.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 07-02-2014, 11:28 PM
I can tell you. You ignored the active threads in GW. While some good stuff gets ignored, this forum usually only posts on stuff that is relevant, be it good or bad.

David75
Thu, 07-03-2014, 12:18 AM
That's it exactly. If average, you won't get much comments. Because we only have lazy gourmets in here, so the level of awesomness has to be quite high before a thread get created and gets traction.

One of the things that got me hooked probably is the camera movements/angles.
They introduced some movement in the camera, as if it was actualy on a ship, or a steady cam or whatever depending on where the view is taken. This is subtle, but really changes the perception. It was even a little too repetitive, the camera movement being too easy to get, in the last ep. But still quite good.

MFauli
Thu, 07-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Aaand done. Wow. That didn´t happen in most recent times that I´d just plow through a whole season in like 2 days.

Why is this thread only 3 pages and why is there no big discussion and hype about this anime on-going? Imo this is that season´s Attack on Titan. Only with better pacing and more substantial writing.

Happy to hear that second season is in the coming.

MasterOfMoogles
Thu, 07-03-2014, 09:15 PM
I also didn't get to this show until recently due to waiting to watch it with somebody.
And man, this was basically the best show of the season. Super impressed with how good it was.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Just finished watching episode 3. Can anyone tell me why I ignored this anime?

No, but you can thank me for making this thread later.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-04-2014, 12:02 AM
I was actually promoting this in the impressions or season thread even before anyone cared about it.

Thank me too.

David75
Fri, 07-04-2014, 12:08 AM
I think I did too, not chasing thanks though ;)

MFauli
Fri, 07-04-2014, 03:43 AM
Thanks to all three of you then, lol.

Just make sure to notice everybody when season 2 arrives :P

Alhuin
Tue, 07-15-2014, 09:20 PM
So this is really a "Netflix Original Series"?

I haven't watched it yet, so I don't want to scour the posts and spoil myself.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-15-2014, 09:40 PM
It just meant they have the sole rights to it or something. Just treat it like any anime, that whole Netflix thing doesn't mean anything ultimately.

Xelbair
Wed, 07-16-2014, 06:06 AM
It is "Netflix Original Series" because they've done the dubs - including translation and casting.

MFauli
Fri, 07-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Just got my order of three mangas, volume 1 each: Biomega, Abara and Knights of Sidonia. Quickly read the latter to see the differences to the anime-version. Almost a 1:1 adaptation. For now, they changed the more traditional beach site into the underwater area we got in the anime.

Anyway, Nihei <3

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-12-2015, 10:29 AM
Mexibros - S02E01 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=677506)

Kraco
Mon, 04-13-2015, 08:19 AM
Looks like the hellspawn Kunato released was quite a bit more nefarious than I expected. It's exceedingly strange the lab was only superficially sealed considering how dangerous the stuff inside is. But then again, I imagine the authorities might have only soft-sealed it thinking that if the worst case scenario happens and there's nothing to lose, the mad scientist and his experiments can be quickly revived. In some ways the sheer attitude of the scientist is far more dangerous than this stuff he developed. After all, it's kind of obvious he wants to replace humanity with something totally different.

I reckon Yuhata is losing the game of chasing Tanikaze. Her commanding position sets them apart and creates a gap between them, like was made easily evident in this ep. Izana just need to hurry up and become a girl! For all we know, a strange Hoshijiro clone could return any time. Somehow I believe it would only positively amuse the mad scientist if the hero Tanikaze started dating a "superior" human hybrid.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Tanikaze x Hoshijiro all the way. Don't you know that mixed babies are the best babies?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-13-2015, 09:13 AM
Coz they have tentacles and shit.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-19-2015, 09:04 AM
Anon - Episode 02 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=679841)

------------------------------------------

Coz they have tentacles and shit.

Oh shit.. I didn't realise that this is a mixed baby despite them telling me in the face.

The tail wag was cute, stuff all the other people for misinterpreting it and shitting themselves. Cute as it was, I can't deny that the chibi-form shares similarities with the Chestburster of Alien fame.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-19-2015, 09:08 AM
Voice Acting is a godly profession for being able to make a monster like that cute.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-19-2015, 09:25 AM
What was the literal translation from the whole "keyhole" conversation shinta?

MFauli
Sun, 04-19-2015, 09:57 AM
Caught up, still godlike anime.

Now I just wish the whole Chimera-thing would be cleared up more quickly ... just reveal that it´s Hoshijiro´s personality, come on. On that matter, I wonder if a Gauna that fully mimicks a human being, truly turns human in turns. Or if there always remains an "evil" core that would at some point wreak havoc. If the former was the case, Tanikaze could actually get back his true love.

Lots of weird stuff happeneing, though. This whole nematode business is coming out of nowhere. Sucks to see Kunito being offed like that. But Im not really complaining, weird stuff is natural to anyone who´s familiar with BLAME1.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-19-2015, 12:12 PM
What was the literal translation from the whole "keyhole" conversation shinta?

Do you have a timestamp? I don't remember that.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-19-2015, 10:24 PM
Do you have a timestamp? I don't remember that.

From around 21:21 onwards, where Ochiai's clone comes in.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-20-2015, 08:09 AM
Key and keyhole were the literal translation. He is the key to the auxiliary brain, and the dude suggested that maybe he also fits well in a different keyhole. The keyhole part and the pervy old man laugh (before he died) implied that he was screwing Kobayashi.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-20-2015, 09:45 AM
Key and keyhole were the literal translation. He is the key to the auxiliary brain, and the dude suggested that maybe he also fits well in a different keyhole. The keyhole part and the pervy old man laugh (before he died) implied that he was screwing Kobayashi.
I wondered whether or not that was a liberal translation since it worked out so well and the comments for the torrent suggested there were a few translation errors in this one.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-20-2015, 10:52 AM
I want to screw Kobayashi.

Kraco
Tue, 04-21-2015, 03:07 PM
That was a smooth military coup. I guess the senile council had really outlived itself, as proven by the fact they could no absolutely nothing to defend themselves, yet thought they were the supreme power. Heavily reminds me of Nanoha Strikers and the three brains in jars.

It makes sense Tanikaze was so quick to accept the chimera considering his background, not only Hoshijiro's case. He grew up all alone, so a human isn't such a heavy standard for him, unlike for the regular folks who grew up normally in a human community.

I wonder how long it takes before something goes terribly wrong. Ochiai (Kunato) is such a technocrat that safety must be a small concern compared to results.

Edit: Underwater released ep1 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=681621). Now there's something worth archiving!

David75
Fri, 04-24-2015, 04:29 AM
Caught up with Underwater subs.
I'm slowly getting back into this. Lacked some suspens and action compared to S1, but since we get acustomed to their universe, a shift is needed. That shift includes some goa'uld like mind/body control for Kunato and I do not think this is such a good idea. Kunato had the potential to be like that without that cheap SF overused trick.
Changing Hoshijiro so much is a bit of a shock. We had a build up with what she looked like. Changing her to that massive faceless Gauna is a hard shift. I still giggled a little at the tentacle groping scene. Its giggles scene was amusing too.
As for Tanikaze, he has a very flexible way of thinking, he can accept facts for what they are. When he saw a Gauna attack another, he was quick to understand he did not need to antagonize it immediately. His broad thinking probably is a bonus most of the time, but could also be the reason of his downfall when he fights a more cunning enemy.

The death of the shadow concil is a good thing, honestly that part of the story probably was the weakest and most boring one.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-24-2015, 05:31 AM
This "Hoshijiro" is different from Benisuzume though, which I still consider to be the "real" reincarnation of Hoshijiro. This one's more like one that merely inherited the remnant feelings.

MFauli
Fri, 04-24-2015, 08:00 AM
has ep3 been released already? i havent yet found out about the regular release schedule, nya didnt show anything :>

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-24-2015, 09:17 AM
has ep3 been released already? i havent yet found out about the regular release schedule, nya didnt show anything :>

No. But it's close.

http://www.mahou.org/Showtime?o=ET

David75
Fri, 04-24-2015, 09:27 AM
I hope UW won't lag too much...

And we still do not know how much Hoshijiro there is in the Benisuzume. From 0% to 100% reconstructed, or not... Fully copied, 100% original cells arrangement etc.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-25-2015, 07:43 AM
I just watched some snippets of Underwater's subs and it feels inferior to the Anon one posted above. I'm not sure whether the discrepancies were "translation liberties" or due to incompetence.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-25-2015, 11:00 PM
Underwater - Episode 03v2 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=682956)

---------------------------------

So Nagate got NTRed by Kunato/Ochiai....

Kobayashi's intentions remain to be seen. I've never seen her as a pro-Ochiai before this.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 04-25-2015, 11:44 PM
NTR. Gotta love it.

Maybe they used Nagate's cells to produce a good pilot.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-26-2015, 01:28 AM
Maybe they used Nagate's cells to produce a good pilot.

Let's be honest. What would you have done?

I didn't think Ochiai liked Nagate's original much.

Kraco
Sun, 04-26-2015, 03:01 AM
Let's be honest. What would you have done?

I didn't think Ochiai liked Nagate's original much.

He would have needed to use someone who is obedient and can be controlled. Kunato himself was a treacherous bastard, so he's clearly out of the question unless Ochiai is feeling suicidal. The same goes for the original Ochiai's cells; you shouldn't create a super powerful entity that's also potentially smarter than you are. Ochiai was a technocrat, so I doubt he would let his personal feelings prevent the use of Nagate's cells if they otherwise would grant the optimal result, which is a killing machine under control. Tanikaze is kind of naive despite being a godly pilot, so he wouldn't necessarily be a bad choice at all. Naive people are easy to control. Tsumugi seems plenty naive, as a matter of fact.

It's a pity Izana doesn't seem to be developing. I was really looking forward to seeing "her" as a full girl. There's pretty much nothing happening anymore in the romantic department in this show, which gives me a feeling they are saving it all for a possible Hoshijiro reunion.

MFauli
Sun, 04-26-2015, 03:10 AM
Are we having differing definitions of NTR here? Apparently they used Nagate´s cells to impregnate placenta-Hoshijiro. No NTR in my book.

Aaanyway (seriously, why would you even bring this up lol), Tsugumi always gives me the creeps. "She" is behaving like a human being, a nice girl at that, but if you only take a short moment to think about it ... she´s made of these creepy Gauna-things. If at any moment she decides to kill you, you will die. There is no way to protect yourself. I assume even sitting inside a Gardes wouldn´t help much. When I see Nagate, Izana und Kunato hovering next to Tsugumi in space, all I could think of was "crap, what if ...?!" It doesn´t help that she´s made of gross placenta meat. eww

I don´t understand Ochiai. Isn´t he a clone fully under control of Kobayashi´s?

And agree on Izana. She should make a more aggressive move.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-26-2015, 03:20 AM
Apparently they used Nagate´s cells to impregnate placenta-Hoshijiro. No NTR in my book.

What do you mean "apparently"? Did Kunato say he used Nagate's cells? I only heard him say he impregnated the placenta with human (?)sperm (ningen no ko).

I don´t understand Ochiai. Isn´t he a clone fully under control of Kobayashi´s?

Ochiai's mind has somehow been able translocate. A copy was in his lab in the form of a Gauna or something. The clone is a clone, just like Nagate is. He's not under strict control but is obedient to Kobayashi. I vaguely remember Ochiai's consciousness manifesting itself in him when they used him to access data.

MFauli
Sun, 04-26-2015, 04:09 AM
That was weird, too. Why can there suddenly be miniature-Gauna inside of Sidonia?! Why are they bearing human minds/memories? Kinda sucked how Kunato was "killed" just like that, too.

I also wonder what Kobayashi´s/The Council´s goal is. You´d think it is their people´s surival, but at several occasions now it felt as if there is a greater/deeper mystery to it all. "The Gauna mustn´t enter Sidonia". Why? Not only have some of them already, but also what if? Sure, it´d do a lot of damage, but you can still fight inside, too.
Makes it feel as if there is some NGE-esque "mustn´t reach Adam"-agenda going on.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-26-2015, 04:56 AM
That was weird, too. Why can there suddenly be miniature-Gauna inside of Sidonia?! Why are they bearing human minds/memories? Kinda sucked how Kunato was "killed" just like that, too.

They're not necessarily pure Gauna. Orchiai was experimenting with body modifications and sort immortality/perfect-organism as his goal. It comes to reason that he'd first make himself such an organism.

Does he not remind you of Orochimaru?

As for the council, who knows. I was under the impression that their survival was their utmost goal, as opposed to humanity in general.

Kraco
Sat, 05-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Episode 4 - Underwater

- - - - - - - - -

Tanikaze still kicks ass even if they had now hybrid monsters on their side too. I'm not sure how he made the rocket packback navigate through the obstacles, but since it's basically the engine of the mobile suit, I suppose it's possible it has obstacle avoidance systems in itself, just for safety measure redundancy. Very good thinking, nonetheless, since just shooting seemed to get them nowhere. It takes a main character to pull it off, naturally.

Tumugi is certainly loyal. More so than Ochiai anticipated. I wonder how things will turn out for her. The body doesn't look too good anymore. Tanikaze has a lot to worry about now, so he's lucky he's apparently not badly wounded.

David75
Sat, 05-02-2015, 11:54 AM
I still like this show for camera choices, movement, and so on.
But somehow I do not get the same pleasure I had with season one. Maybe because I'm a little spoiled.
Or mainly because we've not had someone important die recently, so it becomes a bit of a hunting, instead of a real war.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-02-2015, 01:47 PM
When you've got best girl a giant chimera protecting you, it's a little hard to get scared for Sidonia - but I felt it anyway.

I do watch previews, and man you better not kill another fav char. T_T

David: the death toll is quite low this time with Kunato making those core-piercing bullets. They used to rely on the spears, leaving everyone else basically as distracting cannon-fodder. There was also always the chance of him stabbing you in the back while fighting Gauna, so that made twice the tension then.

Long range bombardment vs close combat does make a difference.

Still great.

edit: oh wow, I just noticed this episode was 860MB.

Kraco
Sun, 05-10-2015, 06:17 AM
Episode 5 - Underwater

- - - - - - - - -

Even without a battle, this was quite an interesting episode. Tanikaze really cares for Tsumugi, but I guess he cares for all of his friends. His personality is otherwise pretty thin, but that makes sense considering he grew up alone doing nothing but scavenged food and sitting in a simulator fighting gauna. Gotta say Izana suddenly got a real boon out of the blue. A bit strange Yuhata didn't try to exploit the situation, but perhaps she's right now far too busy to notice Tanikaze was getting kicked out of the dorm. They didn't show much in the bath scene, but it would be hard to think Izana wasn't behaving like a girl there. She's definitely going down that path. Other than spending lots of time with Tanikaze she hasn't been too proactive. I hope the artificial arm and leg won't make her feel unsure of herself and withdraw.

The preview looked a bit ominous, but truth to be told, any scene with Ochiai-Kunato is ominious. You never know what a mad scientist could be planning.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Didn't you see those multi-fingers? Unsure of herself? You've gotta be kidding me.

MFauli
Sun, 05-10-2015, 10:31 AM
That made noooooooooooo sense at all. I mean, sure, it´s nice to push yourself to readyness for duty, but given the choice between some mechanical prothesis or regrowing a fully natural body, who would choose the former?! Granted, their technology seemed to be extremely futuristic and responsive, but still ...
My guess is that it is a way to power up Izana. Wouldn´t surprise me if these protheses enable super human strength and, of course, immunity to heat, cold and maybe acids - all of which could become relevant in some sort of emergency situation.

Otherwise boring episode. And for some reasons, I find this "cute" substitute of Tsumugi way grosser than her real pseudo-Gardes body.

kmkze04
Sun, 05-10-2015, 10:46 AM
I'm enjoying that this season is putting some effort into more comedic relief, though my favorite relief scene was definitely the Izana/Lala scene where she ends up dangling out a window in S1.
I'm still thinking Nagate doesn't see anything in Izana, to him she's more a he. His relationship with Tsumugi was hinted at but finally more or less voiced in this episode... Tsumugi is essentially Hoshijiro to his mind whether or not he consciously sees it. Which correct me if I'm wrong Kunato (or Ochiai, not sure whose actual DNA got input) injected basically his cells into Gauna Hoshijiro and out popped Tsumugi or G-Hoshijiro was morphed into Tsumugi with the addition of new DNA, beats me how Gauna childbearing works... either way, some portion of Hoshijiro is present in Tsumugi, which is also evident in her attraction to Nagate. I wouldn't be surprised if the creepy placenta tentacle reaching scenes from S1 with G-Hoshijiro repeat themselves at some point with Tsumugi. Actually wouldn't surprise me if Hoshijiro somehow comes to the surface of Tsumugi at some point in a reaction to Nagate's presence.

David75
Sun, 05-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Prothesis seemed to be over the top. I'm surprised we did not get to see more of those.They already are highly DNA modified human beings. Gardes being so hard to pilot, it's a little strange they did not program hands instead of feet. Those are as efficient as feet for walking and allow for more actions, even more in an environnement subject to zero gravity.
And then, having 4 hand for piloting would create quite a difference.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-10-2015, 09:21 PM
You guys are dumb. The extra fingers are obviously for under the sheets stuff with Nagate. Wait for next episode.

Kraco
Mon, 05-11-2015, 02:02 AM
You guys are dumb. The extra fingers are obviously for under the sheets stuff with Nagate. Wait for next episode.

Cold, hard metal (or composite) fingers? I wouldn't be as excited about the idea as you are.

kmkze04
Tue, 05-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Maybe they have a heater function...

MFauli
Tue, 05-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Man, you all need to get laid!

Me, too :/

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-15-2015, 12:22 AM
Double the fingers doesn't seem like a terrific benefit for that kind of stuff. Deidara-hands is the way to go.

As for Chibi-Tsumugi, the rubber sound effects whenever she's around is quite amusing. I can understand prostesis if they're really high tech. I'd expect arms to take months to grow, and it could possibly require Izana to stay hospitalized during that time.

Tanikaze sees Izana as a girl, or at least he knows she's a potential girl and acts girly. That doesn't mean he sees her as a potential partner though. Not all girls are potential partners.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-15-2015, 12:39 AM
Squeeze toy SFX = moe.

The director really knows his shit.

I feel like I'm saying that a lot this season.

Kraco
Sun, 05-17-2015, 05:58 AM
Episode 6 - Underwater

- - - - - - - -

This show presents quite an interesting setting in the sense that the main character is somewhat out of everything big going on, apart from saving the day during the occasional battles. He's just living his own life like anybody would. When he's piloting, he's still no different than any other pilot, apart from kicking ass twice or thrice as much as the others. Based on the paper, they haven't even given him any special military rank, just a senior pilot. Giving him the permission to live anywhere was quite smart as it assures he won't be regularly sneaking without a permission to any place strange. Instead he will stick to his house in a strange place, which is much more predictable. He has a tendency to do things his own way, without consulting others, probably due to his lonely childhood.

Izana was drawn with boobs in this episode, so that seems to be settled for good, if there ever was any ambiguity in the first place. You'd think Tanikaze would treat her like a girl after having a firsthand feel of the assets, but who knows. It seems more like he treats her as a colleague pilot and that's it. It shouldn't have been that easy to ask a girl to move in with you to a new apartment.

Based on the preview a lot will happen in the next episode. The graviton cannon going berserk is a likely candidate, seeing how it was already growing tentacles in this episode, possibly to integrate itself with the ship's power grid.

MFauli
Sun, 05-17-2015, 07:44 AM
I realize we so figurines before, but ... a whole shop for plastic models? You´d think ressources are rare and ought to be treated with care. Okay.

It shouldn't have been that easy to ask a girl to move in with you to a new apartment.

Lol, yeah. That scene basically simply neglected both their reactions as they should have followed. Like, Tanikaze being nervous about asking a girl to live with him, and Izana questioning his motives. Weird. It sucks that our hero is trapped in his guilt-love with Hoshijiro, trying to make best with that gross tentacle variant of her. Seriously, do we know how that placenta stuff smells? It looks so gross and I always imagine its smell to be akin of rotten flesh. Eww, sleeping with that.

I still hate that both Kunatos were randomly killed by some miniature Ochiai-cell clumps. At least somebody should unmask their real identity sooner rather than later.

Kraco
Sun, 05-17-2015, 08:13 AM
Like, Tanikaze being nervous about asking a girl to live with him,

If Tanikaze hardly even recognizes Izana as a girl, then it's more plausible, especially with his lacking social grace. However, I'd hate that option as it would mean nothing could ever happen between those two. What comes to Izana... Well, yeah. I'm sure she doesn't actually question his motives as she must be aware he's dense and absolutely harmless (I'd rather expect Izana to sneak into Tanikaze's bed than the other way around), but it was still too sudden.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-18-2015, 08:59 AM
Izana has been friendzoned since forever, so Tanikaze acts mostly pretty freely around her.

I imagine Tsugumi to smell like ammonia.

Kraco
Sat, 05-23-2015, 04:06 PM
Episode 7 - Underwater

- - - - - - -

Damn, this turned out to be one of the most amusing eps after the morbid beginning with the mega cannon going berserk and then self-destructing. At first I thought we were getting just a tasteful eyeful from the fanservice sisters En & Ren, but then we suddengly got the hilarious "I want to photosynthesize" scene with Samari (she must have taken lessons from Saber. Somehow I feel like she won't approach Tanikaze with intimate intentions for a second time, though). As if that wasn't enough, the next turn was reserved for Izana with her exploding space suit. More seriously, if you can call it that, it's at this point useless to claim Tanikaze wouldn't be viewing Izana as a girl. The atmosphere was so super awkward afterwards, made no less so by Tsumugi's oblivious comments. Lots of this stuff is naturally such tropes they have been seen a thousand times before, but they worked exeptionally well here with Tanikaze's exceptionally foolish personality.

The captain is going really gung-ho with weapons and offensive. I hope it won't majorly backfire when she's relying on prototypes so heavily, especially with some of them so unstable.

David75
Sun, 05-24-2015, 03:06 AM
I had some troubles adjusting to the new season's rythm, but I have to admit it allowed for a very well balanced ep, with very bad things brewing at the start and end, and a rather pleasing fanservice theme in between with some humor.It also seems the director is more careful with scenes when people movement and faces felt fishy, like overall they master that new tool and get more awesomness out of it. I mean on the art side of it and and we the audience feel about it. Or maybe I just don't mind about those and only get the good parts.

MFauli
Sun, 05-24-2015, 04:52 AM
Tbh I didnt quite get the situation with the Gauna-infested super weapon. Apparently it really did self-destruct, but I had thought at first that it entered Sidonia, digging a hole into the ship´s walls. Guess everybody´s lucky for that not being the case.

As for the whole romancing part of this episode ...
Samari came out of nowhere. Not only do I feel sad for the other pilot that made it clear many episodes ago that he loves Samari. It´s also a bit too bold ... first meeting, then already photosynthesize ... which, as we know, is almost on par with having sex here. Duh.
My biggest hope is that Tanikaze stops being such a super fool, and ideally chooses Izana. She´s loyal, nice, caring and now also truly hot. Tanikaze, please stop living in the past and forget about Hoshijiro. :>

Btw. do we know what the "end game" for Sidonia is? From what I gather, the captain is heading to an area with even more, denser Gauna activity. Are we to assume that there is a known Gauna origin and Sidonia attempts to eradicate the Gauna at their core (fufu).?

David75
Sun, 05-24-2015, 05:28 AM
Regarding the gauna blackhole explosion, I feel like it was Kunato's doing, or at least the simbiots in the infested sidonians...Because honestly, that kind of explosion is useless in defeating the enemy: sidonia. A full scale explosion, giving a high amount of thrust in one part of the ship with a massive distorsion shockwave would be near fatal to the ship.
But that explosion serves other purposes: hidding proof. And it's also useful on a political and masses manipulation...

Kraco
Sun, 05-24-2015, 05:43 AM
Regarding the gauna blackhole explosion, I feel like it was Kunato's doing, or at least the simbiots in the infested sidonians...Because honestly, that kind of explosion is useless in defeating the enemy: sidonia. A full scale explosion, giving a high amount of thrust in one part of the ship with a massive distorsion shockwave would be near fatal to the ship.
But that explosion serves other purposes: hidding proof. And it's also useful on a political and masses manipulation...

Hmm... I feel like you are giving Kunato too much credit. If he had such control, things shouldn't have gone that far in the first place. After all, they lost lots of resources in this incident, and if the captain wasn't so militaristic, the project might have been cancelled. I'd bet he just got incredibly lucky. The thing was still a cannon and the annihilating explosion was basically what it was intended to do, like it did to the planetoid. Only it wasn't under any control now, so perhaps it merely couldn't control the power and instead of a proper emission beam, it just emitted the force omnidirectionally right where it was sitting, destroying everything nearby in the process, itself included. After all, I doubt the thing had any brains to speak of. It was like giving a monkey a hand grenade.

David75
Sun, 05-24-2015, 06:09 AM
Of course it's possible it's as you describe. Reminding us of the symbiot was my only basis for extended hair pull :D

Remains thee political use of the attack that is a given I guess.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-26-2015, 03:16 AM
Regarding David mentioning the captain making Sidonia head for increased Gauna activity, I don't know if that's the case. This is in light of that last scene with Planet 7's staff talking about "there's no Gauna here". I don't know whether that scene was a flashback to years ago, or a current snapshot (I assume those guys left Sidonia a long time ago).

If it was a flashback, then they were wrong - and Gauna were indeed heavyweights in that area of the galaxy.

If it was not a flashback, then their words have more credit and the arrival of a giant Gauna points more to Sidonia attracting them instead.

@MFauli: thing is, Izana needs better hair. That's why most girls > Izana.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 05-26-2015, 09:19 AM
Tsumugi is better than Izana.

Kraco
Tue, 05-26-2015, 11:17 AM
Tsumugi is better than Izana.

Aren't we talking about girls, not 20 meters tall slimy aliens?

shinta|hikari
Tue, 05-26-2015, 11:32 AM
Who happens to be female.

MFauli
Tue, 05-26-2015, 02:44 PM
I still dont know why Tsumugi cannot simply transform into a hot girl or even Hoshijiro. Clearly she can create that tentacle freely by will.

Kraco
Tue, 05-26-2015, 03:07 PM
I still dont know why Tsumugi cannot simply transform into a hot girl or even Hoshijiro. Clearly she can create that tentacle freely by will.

It's possible the thought hasn't even visited her mind. She's not human, so assuming a human shape is something she would need to want to do and possibly practice to do. If she starts to feel jealous or something witnessing the girls' interaction with Tanikaze, then perhaps she will.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 05-26-2015, 04:55 PM
Yeah, probably that. Screwing her will feel like screwing a blow up sex doll though, especially with the squeaky noise.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-27-2015, 07:13 AM
I don't even care from a sex point of view.

Tsumugi = awesome company. Sex is not required.

David75
Wed, 05-27-2015, 09:25 AM
But I understand the statement that Tsumugi, with proper training, coild become an incredibke sex partner with all kind of reconfigurable sex tools for every body/tool interactions you can desire.Only that she's very much a child and probably isn't aware of sex matters. She probably doesn't view herself as female as she's portrayed.
Also, in a love/sex relationship, both partners need to enjoy what happens at high levels at some points in the act. And it's hard to tell,if she's equiped with something a human can act on, that would give her pleasure that is in the same register as sex. She probably has got it, if the dna material has been preserved though. But it's uncertain how it would develop and if it will.
I have no doubt Tsumugi would be please to learn and give pleasure though. Boys and girls.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-30-2015, 11:55 PM
Underwater - S02E08 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=696439)

------------------------

http://i.imgur.com/9LW15Uj.jpg

Shinta's changed camps. He can't resist this much waki.

The engineer girl's as old as Yure then. Never aging must be nice.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-31-2015, 12:21 AM
But Izana did not show any decent waki at all. Shippai da...

Look at all those fingers!

Rubber ducky FTW.

But really, Yuhata build fighter is the best.

Kraco
Sun, 05-31-2015, 04:55 AM
Man, Tanikaze is dense. However, it does look like he has some healthy interest in girls, even if he's totally devoid of any relationship sense (and some other common sense as well, considering he didn't doubt the explosive in his neck at all). He even continued to hold Izana's hand willingly. I'm not sure what to think of all the harem stuff, though. I'd rather not see too much of it, even if it gave some amusement now. Although I doubt the action will be forgotten for more than this single episode.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-31-2015, 05:45 AM
I thought the title "Reunion" would have referred to Tanikaze and Benisuzume. Even if something does start between Izana and Tanikaze, his inevitable meeting with Benisuzume again would spark things up. This would give him grounds and guidance for what he should be doing relationship-wise (unless he wants to date a Gauna), but I don't think it'll be that simple. Izana never really struck us as heroine material I think.

Then again (Naruto spoiler: Hinata) wasn't considered seriously for most of the story either.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-31-2015, 08:36 AM
Well, Izana did die and got Sunrisen from the dead, just like Hinata.

Too bad she only got finger tentacles instead of full body ones. Tentacute girls FTW.

Yuhata is probably gonna die.

MFauli
Sun, 05-31-2015, 11:38 AM
FUCK THAT TEASE!

You cannot do that! A Blame!-anime with that production value would be my most looked-forward anime of all times ...

fucking fuck ... there i had thought it was an advertisement ...

argh

@episode: Shinatose is best girl now

Kraco
Sun, 06-07-2015, 03:33 AM
Episode 9 - Underwater

- - - - -- -

Things got pretty tense again. The days of the Gauna evolving are certainly still here. It looks like they are trying vastly different approaches every time. That ought to keep Sidonia on their toes as well, regardless of the killing machine Tsumugi on their side. It's kind of interesting the mecha side hasn't developed so hugely of late, so more and more depends on Tanikaze's genius. Even the much touted Hayakaze was completely useless. Kunato seems to have a new hybrid almost ready. I wonder if it's going to go berserk very soon, since Tsumugi has been developed as a personality so deeply that she seems an unlikely candidate as an internal threat.

I don't understand why Izana got so angry after noticing it was her grandma who gave the "mission" to Tanikaze. Shouldn't she have been thankful, instead, for the chance? She did mutter earlier that Tanikaze should drop the act, but if she knows Tanikaze at all, which she should after all the time they have spent together, she should at the very least know Tanikaze is totally incapable of acts like that. As much as I like Izana and hope she wins Tanikaze, I was disappointed by her.

MFauli
Sun, 06-07-2015, 03:42 AM
all things considered, this season is shit. I mean, I do enjoy watching this romance stuff between the various characters, but come on: This is supposed to be a super serious, dramatic, apocalyptic story about mankind´s survival! Spending 20 minutes on a love quadriangle, then showing 1-2 minutes of Gauna being scary is misbalanced.

This is another 12-13 episode season, right? Assuming it´ll go on break again afterwards, this is ... ridiculous.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-07-2015, 09:07 AM
No, this story is about developing character relationships then killing off one of them.

And I love it.

Goodbye Izana.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-07-2015, 11:42 AM
I don't understand why Izana got so angry after noticing it was her grandma who gave the "mission" to Tanikaze. Shouldn't she have been thankful, instead, for the chance? She did mutter earlier that Tanikaze should drop the act, but if she knows Tanikaze at all, which she should after all the time they have spent together, she should at the very least know Tanikaze is totally incapable of acts like that. As much as I like Izana and hope she wins Tanikaze, I was disappointed by her.

On the other hand, Tanikaze is shy - so it still makes perfect sense for him to pretend if he actually mustered up the courage to ask Izana out. Either way, she was pissed that he was simply following orders instead of being truly interested in her. (we'll have to wait for his answer I suppose)

I hope Izana makes it out of this. I'm happy for the neuro-link give her a reasonable upgrade in piloting ability.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-14-2015, 12:27 AM
Underwater - Episode 10 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=701127)

----------------------------------

Please don't die Tsumugi. Benisuzume is visually detailed, but I like your personality so much more than that evil laugh. I'll have to reconsider if she starts talking properly to us, but for now I choose Tsumugi.

Izana's become way more awesome since she became a girl.

The new model's structural integrity is pretty BS.

MFauli
Sun, 06-14-2015, 06:32 AM
Fantastic episode!

The visual scenery on that planet was so breathtaking, when Izana spread their shield´s wings to use the wind. I REALLY want a videogame for this anime :>

Seeing Benisuzume again really ramps up the danger levels. But I agree with Buff: If she cannot develop speech, she´s infinitely inferior to Tsumugu, who I hope wont die here. At one point I had hoped for a Gauna-based Hoshijiro to become Nagate´s girl, but now that I´m rooting for Izana, just die, Benisuzume!

And yeah, the new MK 3 is ridiculous. Even if there was material so sturdy ... unless it has an enormous anti gravitation aggregate built-in, Nagate should have been pushed to potatoe mash by that impact.

David75
Sun, 06-14-2015, 09:21 AM
That mkIII plot armor twist really was the weakest moment of the show, all eps included.I wish they had cut that silly scene and keep showing the planet.
As stated above, visuals have been really good from the start of the show, and that planet does not disapoint.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-14-2015, 10:06 AM
I think they added that in for flashier fights. Paper dolls don't make for good struggle scenes.

Kraco
Sun, 06-14-2015, 01:40 PM
They should have made Tanikaze fly through a thinner floating island, reducing his speed considerably, and then be stopped by a second, with a more realistic impact. I can't help but think the Mk 3 has been fitted with some material inspired by the gauna structural innovation, like the ammunition is. Hard to imagine the sudden jump in toughness otherwise.

Benisuzume being back certainly elevates this particular gauna hosts' level of danger. The name alone is nefarious among the pilots.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-21-2015, 08:43 AM
Underwater S2 E11 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=703547)

----------------------------

Benisuzume confirmed for Evil as Fuck.

or so I wanted to say, but I still can't shake the feeling that maybe, just maybe there's a bit of Hoshijiro left in her.

Damn that was good. Tanikaze hilariously uses his frame as a battering ram now. OP.

MFauli
Sun, 06-21-2015, 03:45 PM
the fighting coreography is so damn fun to watch. So gorgeous. Makes me want a Sidnia videogame more than ever.

kmkze04
Mon, 06-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Even without speech G-Hoshijiro seems to have a lot more intelligence than Tsumugi. She's shown a strong grasp of battle tactics, then she successfully managed to emotionally manipulate Tsumugi into hesitating on the death blow, and disabled Tsumugi completely rather than kill her outright. At first I thought it was an animalistic combat instinct, but this changes that idea. Her being where Sidonia was heading may also suggest she moved independently based on where she expected Sidonia to go. And now she's taking over Tanikaze by presenting herself to him... I'm sure she would have killed him immediately if she didn't have conscious thought about the situation. Very curious what is going to happen in that cockpit. The sword he was given will probably come into play next ep. But this was his first love, I wonder if he can really do it?

There was another hint in there too. Tsumugi said she felt it was her responsibility to end G-Hoshijiro and/or Benisuzume. I doubt that's just because Benisuzume was responsible for the deaths of pilots before Tsumugi's time. She probably has at least some knowledge of her connection to the G-Hoshijiro clone. I would venture a guess that was why she hesitated. Killing G-Hoshijiro would be like killing her mother. We already know she's a bit naive and childish, so wouldn't be a stretch...

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-22-2015, 01:44 PM
Benisuzume sometimes has her "evil eyes" and at other times has red (but otherwise normal) pupils. I do hesitate to call her out on being 100% emotionally manipulative as opposed to flicking back and forth between ruthless and "Hoshijiro" modes unintentionally.

Kraco
Mon, 06-22-2015, 04:43 PM
Tsumugi became a third-rate hunter after spending so much time with humans. It's kind of a pity, but at the same time it's possible she would have never won over all the people otherwise the way she did, and who knows if her mental stability could have handled isolation.

As good as the new machine was and as godly as Tanikaze is, it looks like his options are running dry now. Quite a fight, nonetheless.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 06-25-2015, 12:35 AM
Finally watched this til the end.

My conclusion:

Nagate: "Boobies!"

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-28-2015, 07:36 AM
Underwater - Episode 12 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=706001)

-------------------------------

I need more of this show. Nothing's resolved thus far.

Kraco
Sun, 06-28-2015, 09:49 AM
I need more of this show. Nothing's resolved thus far.

Yeah. This was like the Star Wars IV ending.

I've come to appreciate this show for a few different reasons, which do raise this among the top shows of the season. It's an intriguingly well working mix of a traditional shounen hero and big mecha added into a world of ruthless action and military politics fitting a seinen series. Lack of mecha worship or deifying that mars any Gundam shows (and some others) is also gratifying. They are just capable machines of war, but that's it. Nobody's prostrating in front of a Super Hornet in RL, so it's annoying when they do that in fiction. Naturally it also means the pilot matters as much as the vehicle, yet aside from the MC, people still die in battle, no matter the skills.

Another thing I said before is the fun of Tanikaze being so out of everything but fighting. He's being used to no end, yet he's not bothered by it, let alone trying to change everything alone like a shounen hero, since flying and fighting is anyway the only thing he can do. Considering his social awkwardness, it's a bit cruel his prospects for a wholesome relationship with a girl are made so unsure. I guess if Hoshijiro hadn't been lost, he would already be steady with her. Hoshijiro probably would have seen to it. With the relative lack of competition back then, she might have succeeded where the many girls now fail.

David75
Sun, 06-28-2015, 01:34 PM
Kunato's last line was refering to many people like himself and Tanikaze... So it might the placenta they got is 100% Hoshijiro on all physical/dna aspects. The only thing is she might not have her spirit/soul (character, experience, memories). Unless for some reason Gauna preserved her for so long.Tanikaze coming back with 3 lovers was a bit too much too :D

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-28-2015, 08:16 PM
Those were tentacles coming out of her mouth. As interesting as that sounds, I can't call that 100% Hoshijiro.

David75
Sun, 06-28-2015, 11:22 PM
True, forgot about that. Though that might be 101%... The last 1% being a gauna parasite like in Kunato qnd some others.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-29-2015, 08:41 AM
I hate the expression 101% or anything beyond 100%. It just doesn't make sense.

David75
Mon, 06-29-2015, 09:36 AM
Well, in French there's a play on words where the pronounciation of 100 has the same meaning as "without". So basically 101% can be understood as 100%+1%, or without 1%, nothing at all or not even 1%
It's also the title for a show I follow on my favourite french channel, in fact the only tv I watch, Nolife...

Being a Cartesian myself, sometimes being nonsensical can be a good thing :D

If you go further the analysis, economics, measures, growth can use percentage over 100% to show evolution.

In our case, since we're discussing a similarity factor, I guess excluding that extra percent sums the fact that maybe we have Hoshijiro and a little something else that is alien.

Sorry for activating one of your pet peeves, we all have some :D

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-29-2015, 09:41 AM
It simply makes more sense to say she is 99% Shizuka and 1% hentai porn.

David75
Mon, 06-29-2015, 10:04 AM
I don't know if we tire our fellow gotwooters with that little rant, but I disagree with the 99+1 statement.Because otherwise, if you get the alien part out, you get 99=100.
The mistake is that we are comparing oranges and apples. So the percentage is wrong in the first place for the Hoshijiro+Alien system...
And I know I'm the ine who started it :D

I can rephrase that mistake, without the alien part, that placenta might be 100% Hoshijiro that was preserved who know how and why by Gauna...

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-29-2015, 10:15 AM
That's not how percentages work, David. In my statement, if you take the 1% hentai porn out of Shizuka, she becomes 100% Shizuka again. 100% refers to her entire being, be it part alien or not. It is a ratio of her composition, not a sum of parts.

Kraco
Mon, 06-29-2015, 10:55 AM
It simply makes more sense to say she is 99% Shizuka and 1% hentai porn.

I don't really care about your percentage discussion, but I think Shizuka without any alien parts would still be good for great many kinds of hentai porn.

MFauli
Mon, 06-29-2015, 11:24 AM
everybody stop being obtuse. for arguments sake: Right now, there´s the Benisuzume pilot. It´s 100% Hoshijro and an unknown percentage of Gauna placenta. We don´t know to what part this pilot is what, though. And that´s all. Assuming, that this is the real Hoshijiro at all.

@last episode: I liked it, but is it really over now? There´s so much left untold. I reeeally hope this show returns as soon as possible. And in the meantime .. fucking animate "BLAME!", ffs.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-29-2015, 11:37 AM
We weren't arguing about the exact percentage because no one knows that (and it doesn't matter, tbh). We were arguing about the notation. I would've understood if you complained about it being off topic, but your reply is, well, obtuse.

kmkze04
Mon, 06-29-2015, 01:17 PM
The kiss and flowers blooming was strange. In a good way though, it raises a lot of questions. The pilots we've seen consumed have been simply consumed, so we don't know what happened in the inner workings. Was this how Gauna convert humans into Gauna like Hoshijiro? Or is there something special that still exists between G-Hoshijiro and Tanikaze that could have led to some kind of different connection between Gauna and Human? Very curious on what exactly she was doing to him. Benisuzume definitely had a personality, and with every personality comes motive, not simply animalistic instinct like the other Gauna appear to be operating by... That ending sequence did seem a bit final... I sure hope it isn't, there's wayyy too much left out.

Actually, in a way, this series seemed very like Candidate for Goddess, but much more realistic in the overall scheme. And as was said earlier, less of the godly worship of machines thing. Although I really did like the Candidate for Goddess Pilot/Repairer aspect, that part at least would've been nice to see through before it got cut.

David75
Mon, 06-29-2015, 01:33 PM
From the begining, it could be interpreted that Gauna were trying some kind of communication. But it was also stated that communication could be near impossible, like humans with ants.

I'm also wondering wether Gauna really is from alien origin, or created by humans...
Kunato's comments, Gauna affinity for humans are, that led me to that idea.

And yes the story is far from completion. I wonder where the manga is for example.

MasterOfMoogles
Thu, 07-02-2015, 03:55 AM
Finally caught up and finished it.
This season was awesome. Tsumugi ftw.

Her sound effects have to be made using balloons.
Where can I buy a Tsumugi hug pillow?

I found this season to be pretty amazing on the comedy aspect. I just want their ship to turn around and we'll have the Tanikaze harem show.

Great juxtaposition after defeating Benisuzume. Tanikaze had a placenta girl in his lap and then his robot also had a slightly different placenta girl in its arms.

I took a peek at the manga to see how far it is, and it looks like this season ended around chapter 41-42 or so (this manga is monthly).
Currently up to 75 have been translated. Though scanning through to find the right chapter, it looks like maybe they changed the timeline of some stuff and swapped stuff around. I didn't look to hard, though.
Either way, the art doesn't seem to be that great, so I think I'm just going to wait for the next anime instead of reading the manga.

I look forward to the misadventures of Tanikaze and our favorite balloon animal.

Found this great fanart:
http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=2285913

And this figure (though she looks a little too fleshy to be cute in this rendition):
https://myanimeshelf.com/upload/dynamic/2015-02/05/izana020494.jpg

kmkze04
Mon, 03-27-2017, 08:26 AM
Resurrecting! Anyone hear of any projected dates or if they are even continuing the anime at all?

MFauli
Mon, 03-27-2017, 08:54 AM
The worst kind of bump :(

MFauli
Sat, 07-23-2022, 08:27 AM
Has anyone seen the movie btw? Afaik it's the quasi-season 3 of the anime. Any good?

MFauli
Wed, 07-27-2022, 04:35 PM
ABOUT THE MOVIE:

At the half way point and I just need to share this quote:

"You're not too big at all! You're only 15 meter taller than me!"

:D

(movie is good btw., feels 1:1 like another season)

EDIT:

It's really a 3rd season and I loved that. It's more Sidonia, which is what I wanted.

As for the ending, I guess what I'm disappointed about is:

- so what exactly were the Gauna what was their goal, beyond killing people?
- why was Yuhata suddenly male? That was kinda dumb.
- are we supposed to believe that the Gauna danger is over now?

And while I like a good happy end, espcially in a story that often is as cruel and hopeless as this one, Tsumugi getting the Hoshijiro-body just was a bit too much wish-fullfilment for Tanzikaze. Like, that's what a horny weeb like me might dream about, but it's not what you'd put in the actual story. I actually enjoyed the Tanikaze-15m alien relationship. I actually thought that when Tsumugi was burning down inside the sun, that he body would end up in just the right size, lol. That would have still left her with an alien appearance, but a more everyday-szie to live with Tanikaze. Oh well.

Oh, I was super mad though at the scene where Ochiai killed 120 Gardes with his one energy blast. Like, wtf, I literally said out aloud "too many". Sidonia doesn't have that many pilots no the material to recuperate such losses. I guess that's how you know it's the end of the story. Still, so many pilots dying ... and not enough reaction from the others.

Ah, I'll stop complaining, because it makes it look like I didn't enjoy the movie. I really liked it. Mostly fast-paced, good action, creepy scenes, as well as nice, happy scenes. Could have been better, but it could also have been much worse. I'll take this. Now please turn BLAME! into an anime.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-31-2022, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I don't get some of this movie.

So Ochiai talked to Gauna.. and then what did he do? He left it as "it's got too much data to sort out right now" but does it have sentient will etc? We didn't get much.

They made a big deal about using manual machines to beat the intelligent Gauna because they could read inputs, but then they just turned Autonomous mode off...

In order for the Blood Worm thing to work, Tsumugi would have had to know about it and be able to produce one first. I don't think there was any scene depicting that as such, so it kinda came out of nowhere. I also don't know if that "Hoshijiro" was a human body or not.. but apparently it is and can reproduce normally so whatever.

Other little details were weird, like the lakeside scene where Tanikaze lost his balance because Tsumugi was boiling water, but he landed on her and kissed her. No burns.

I'm glad they explained the bear.

----------

edit: read through some Sidonia Wiki, seems like the movie changes a few things (like Kanata).

MFauli
Mon, 08-01-2022, 03:50 AM
Yeah, I don't get some of this movie.

So Ochiai talked to Gauna.. and then what did he do? He left it as "it's got too much data to sort out right now" but does it have sentient will etc? We didn't get much.

They made a big deal about using manual machines to beat the intelligent Gauna because they could read inputs, but then they just turned Autonomous mode off...

In order for the Blood Worm thing to work, Tsumugi would have had to know about it and be able to produce one first. I don't think there was any scene depicting that as such, so it kinda came out of nowhere. I also don't know if that "Hoshijiro" was a human body or not.. but apparently it is and can reproduce normally so whatever.

Other little details were weird, like the lakeside scene where Tanikaze lost his balance because Tsumugi was boiling water, but he landed on her and kissed her. No burns.

I'm glad they explained the bear.

----------

edit: read through some Sidonia Wiki, seems like the movie changes a few things (like Kanata).

Regarding the "is Hoshijirou a human body?": I kinda always thought that the Gauna and humans are somewhat similiar in how the Gauna looked like flesh/muscles. They also kept trying to get closer to being human, first with the Benisuzume, then the Hoshijirou-body, then Tsumugi, at last Ochiai. This is what frustrates me a bit about the abrupt ending: It ignores all the higher concepts and just gives us the happy end for Tanikaze - which is nice but eh.

Buff, feel to post the differences in the manga in spoiler tags or send me a pm, I don't plan on reading the manga now that the anime is finished. thx