PDA

View Full Version : Ping Pong The Animation

MFauli
Fri, 05-16-2014, 11:37 AM

Makoto Tsukimoto (nicknamed Smile) is a quiet high-schooler who's been friends with the loud and energetic Yukata Hoshino (nicknamed Peco) since childhood. They're both in the local table tennis club and both have a natural talent for it, although Smile's personality always prevents him from winning against Peco. The club teacher, however, notices Smile's talent and tries to make him gain some sportive tenacity.

----------------------------

Just watched episode 6.
As shitty as artstyle and animations are, the underlying story and characters are great. The ending of this latest episode made me decide to create a topic for this anime. When older Peco told the old lady "I want to become world champion!", it gave me the chills. Grabbing.

I dont even know who´s the good guy at this point. The Kaio guys are those typical nazi-experimental soldier-like school. Wong is from China, so he´s also an opponent. But then you have Tsukimoto, who really is like a robot and speaks shitty lines about "quit, youve got no talent". Suddenly, it seems like Peco, the arrogant guy that took winning for granted, is about to jump into the hero-spot. Having seen rock bottom, he´s finally willing to put effort into the sports he was always talented in.

Again, proper animation would have made this a must-see anime of the season. As is, I can only recommend it to those who are hardcore-fans of table tennis.

MFauli
Fri, 05-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Horrible Subs - Episode 07 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=557111)
----------------------------

I really like how realistic, yet still interesting this anime is. All of the four big players are presented somewhat believably. Even though we´re inmidst of a training arc, using shounen-vocabulary here, I have no complaints about these "power-ups". Tsukimoto has always been good, but is serious now. Peco is a bit late with his training, but his talent makes up for it. Skinhead is a training freak, and Wong is a chinese prodigy who´s also constantly training. Four totally "could be real people" characters. I like it.

Also, the opening is kickass. Maybe the best opening of any anime this season.

MasterOfMoogles
Fri, 05-23-2014, 09:45 PM
This is definitely one of my favorite shows this season.

David75
Sat, 05-24-2014, 01:57 AM
It's true that despite horrible art and animation, this sport show... more over Ping Pong that is all about speed and precision, still manages to catch attention and be somewhat enjoyable. Quite a surprise I admit.

MFauli
Thu, 06-12-2014, 01:24 PM
haha, this anime is so great. it looks like pure shit, but damn, is it enjoyable!

Peco vs Dragon was a fantastic match.

The opening and the anime itself make me feel like crying at times, from sheer nostalgia. Yeah, it somehow creates a nostalgic feeling, seeing these boys put their everything into this one sport they like, doing it in different ways and succeeding either way. Maybe it´s because I used to play table tennis in a club, too, but this just hits home too close ... even though I´ve never been some god-like player like any of them :D

MFauli
Thu, 06-19-2014, 01:34 PM
last episode.

nice anime overall. could have been a lot more popular if it didnt look like crap.

if you like table tennis, it´s a must--see