PDA

View Full Version : Baby Steps

MFauli
Sun, 04-13-2014, 08:38 AM

Maruo Eiitirou (E-Chan), a first year honor student, one day decides he's unhappy with the way things are and lacks exercise. He finds a flyer for the Tennis Club and decides to check it out. He's instantly captivated by it.

With no prior experience and poor physical conditioning, join E-Chan as he embarks on a tennis journey using his smarts, dedication, and work ethic.

---------------------
---------------------

Another jolly good sports anime, tennis this time around.
E-chan is a somewhat atypical hero, in the way that his behavior actually lays the foundation for a pseudo-realistic explanation for his, obvious, future growth. In other anime, heroes "somehow" manage to find out stuff. E-chan IS the kind of person to analyse each and everything, so itīs not coming out of nowhere.

The preview for next episode indicates relationship-bullshit, but Iīm confident weīll get enough good tennis-action from this. Interestingly, just like with Haikyuu!!, the main girl in this anime is not hot at all imo. Herp derp face.

MasterOfMoogles
Mon, 04-14-2014, 11:44 PM
I really enjoy this not having the typical hot-blooded shounen sports thing.
I'm way more interested in this than Haikyuu this season for that reason.

I really like some of the jokes driven by Ei-chan, like him asking how big the court is and other random stuff no normal person would care to detail.

MFauli
Sun, 04-20-2014, 07:33 AM
So far this anime manages a good balance between realistic improving speed and exciting events. Looking forward to see if Ei-chan manages to return a single ball.

MFauli
Sun, 04-27-2014, 06:14 AM
Horrible Subs - Episode 04 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=548071)
---------------------------

Fantastic pacing. Finished the contest against Takuma AND weīre already done with the training "arc". Next episode seems to cover the first match already, too. And yet it doesnīt feel rushed.
I liked the trainer peeking into Ei-chanīīs notebook.

Still, highlight of the episode: Brunette glasses-girl. Iīm not typically into meganekko, but sheīs super cute. Way better than the blonde herp derp-face.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-27-2014, 08:15 AM
Seems like this isn't getting the attention it deserves. I blame PoT and KnB for deterring people from watching sports (magic) anime.

David75
Sun, 04-27-2014, 08:21 AM
But it seems that tournament is still earlier than the one he plays in Ep01.
Because the tournament he enters now is at 4 months since he started, and the one in Ep01 was at one year at least?

MFauli
Sun, 05-04-2014, 05:50 AM
SHARINGAN KAKUSEI!

:D
Great episode as usual. Itīs so much fun to watch an outsider/beginner take his first steps into the world of tennis. If you think about it, Ei-chan is the villain here - playing tennis for 4 months and already on the attack? Heīs the genius, attacking the hardworkers. Although Ei-chanīs genius kinda is being a natural hardworker, haha.

What was stupid, though, was Ei-chanīs weak serve. So heīs been playing for 4 months and ... never practived serving? Dumb.

David75
Sun, 05-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Ei can only work so many basics at a time when he's so toroughful about how he trains every little detail.
It's already a marvel he can master serve returns on both sides that well in such a short time.
He clearly didn't have time to really train his serve. And serve also is about technical details and hours of pratice.
So his serve is more about getting the ball into play without faults, for now.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-06-2014, 08:52 AM
That hair .... >_> (Reminds me of my bedhair sometimes actually)

Nat-chan is prodigy-girl-who-likes-you done right. Her lackluster intelligence and good nature gives a good reason for her to support the MC. This is particularly the case when Ei-chan has the talent and work ethic to continuously deliver results worthy of those expectations and feelings.

It's good that they've dropped the brat-kid and Takuma-likes-Natsu antics. There's really no room for them with all this tennis going on.

Art-wise, this reminds me a lot of Knight in the Area.

MasterOfMoogles
Fri, 06-06-2014, 11:40 PM

Are they related? I can't unsee this on Tsugumi now.

MFauli
Sun, 06-15-2014, 06:30 AM
oh god, for some time i though maruo would lose this match again. so glad he won. would have felt so stagnant otherwise.

i guess next episode weīll get a quick "and he lost the next match" ending for this tournament. If thats the case, I wonder how many year this series will use up until maruo gets to win a tourney.

MFauli
Sun, 06-22-2014, 06:44 AM
Episode 12:

VERY NICE! He actually beat the next opponent, too, and without problems at all. Unexpected!
The advice of that american coach was, truth to be told, really good and Iīm thinking about applying it to my own daily life. Imagining memories of good situations to boost your current spirit low.

Hope he manages to beat the 3rd seed, too, donīt like this guy.

And just to repeat myself, Sasaki-chan, the pig-tails glasses girl, is super cute.

MFauli
Sun, 07-06-2014, 06:11 AM
Episode 14:
----------------------

Win by default, hm.

Anyway, I just donīt see Maruo defeat Araya. Speed and Power? Well, thatīs like everything his opponent has then lol.

I guess the goal to win is for Maruo to gain the conviction of becoming a pro, and why heīd follow that path.

David75
Sun, 07-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Last two eps were very weak due to that stupid idea they had with this opponent wanting to draw masterpieces with ball trajectories.
That show is enjoyable to some degree, let's hope they get back to something better.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-06-2014, 07:49 AM
The conviction to win is what I'm looking at. Maruo wanted to play against power/speed because it'd be fun, but he needs to look into winning and strive towards that.

If Araya only has speed/power, then he could lack technique and agility.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-13-2014, 09:33 AM
HS - episode 15 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=574527)

----------------------------------

Sasaki is cute but I think Nat-chan still wins it for me.

I'm also happy to see that Araya was finally getting good. Watching him get played by Maruo in the beginning felt to unfair. Now I'm back to rooting for Maruo. It's stimulating to see him think logically even when he loses a point. He's not annoyingly depressed but also isn't senselessly optimistic without a plan.

MFauli
Sun, 07-13-2014, 10:46 AM
I'm also happy to see that Araya was finally getting good. Watching him get played by Maruo in the beginning felt to unfair. Now I'm back to rooting for Maruo. It's stimulating to see him think logically even when he loses a point. He's not annoyingly depressed but also isn't senselessly optimistic without a plan.

Youīre right, objectively speaking. However, thinking with anime-logic makes me feel like all of the above is actually a bad sign for Maruo. In anime, the hero is not supposed to be strong from the start of a fight. The fact that Maruo is imo paints the picture of a cruel incoming defeat. Of course, I expect him to win this match (unless weīll have another 1 year-time skip), but I also see him losing contenancé at a soon rather than later point, expressing depression and helplessness. Which he will overcome and proceed to victory.

Also, Sasaki <3

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-27-2014, 06:23 AM
HS - Episode 17 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=580429)

--------------------------

Soo close! I'm happy with the result, but still what a shame.

I don't know when it was that I stopped thinking that his hairstyle was ridiculous and not cool, but it must have been a long time ago now.

MFauli
Sun, 07-27-2014, 06:43 AM
It had to happen at some point. Iīm actually shocked that Araya and Takuma are considered equals (with a one-sided victory record, mind you), since Maruo went toe to toe with Araya. Applying shounen logic here, he should be able to beat Takuma next year.

Sucks that he cant participate in that junior open tournament

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-27-2014, 07:07 AM
He should be able to beat the current Takuma, who is in a slump mind you.

His growth was huge, but I would expect it to die down more as he matures and diminishing returns start kicking in.

That said, the growth would still be substantial. Souji's introduction just moved Ei-chan's goalpost from Prefecture #1 to International.

David75
Sun, 07-27-2014, 07:11 AM
Some frames had nice tennis movement animation from head to toe in the Takuma/Araya match.
Enjoyed the ep.

MFauli
Sun, 07-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Some frames had nice tennis movement animation from head to toe in the Takuma/Araya match.
Enjoyed the ep.

ah, forgot to comment on that! yeah, the animation there was super sweet. looked like motion capturing. maybe they used what was used in Sakamichi no Apollon? Anyway, looked really great.

MFauli
Sun, 08-03-2014, 06:42 AM
episode 18 is out!
--------------------

Nice to see Ei-chan actually go the pro-route now. Although the pressure must be enormous ... he HAS to win it all or has to give up his dream because of his parents.

Excited for next week. I expect it to be similar to when Ei-chan first played Takuma ... being overwhelmed for most of it, then making a single excellent return.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-03-2014, 09:10 AM
I'm happy Natsu isn't chasing So-chan. Otherwise, Ei-chan would have to compete and win against him, which would look like Natsu was hunting only good tennis players if she ended up pairing with him later on.

The mother/father reaction was entirely predictable, though still enjoyable. Typical mother.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-10-2014, 07:22 AM
HS - Episode 19 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=586084)

----------------------

Rejoice MFauli, you get your Sasaki episode next week!

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting to see more Natsu tennis....

MFauli
Sun, 08-10-2014, 07:27 AM
Rejoice MFauli, you get your Sasaki episode next week!

:D

Good episode. Lots of acknowledgment for Maruto. Taking a point from Ike Soji and having his note taking-style be affirmed by the All-Japanīs 2nd seed player.

Next episode seems a bit filler-ish. Wonder if weīll get another time skip, since the couch said Maruo wouldnīt participate in any tournaments between now and next yearīs All Japan.

David75
Sun, 08-10-2014, 12:04 PM
I thought it was a 2 months with no matches... not a whole year?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-10-2014, 05:21 PM
I thought it was a 2 months with no matches... not a whole year?

You're correct.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-17-2014, 08:41 AM
HS - Episode 20 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=588819)

-----------------------------

Too bad for Sasaki (and by extension, MFauli), this turned out to be very much a Natsu-focued cultural festival.

Go for it Ei-chan!

I also felt a little bad for Terashima since it got owned so badly. Ei-chan earned his victory though, so there's not much to be said there.

MFauli
Sun, 08-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Good episode. Ei-chan showing true progress in terms of tennis ability.

And wtf, this was one of the best romance scenes Iīve ever seen in anime. No sudden topic change or tsundere behavior. Just straight forward love talk between Maruo and Nat-chan. Wouldnīt have expected that much progress on this topic in a sports anime.

Iīm, okay with this coupling, Buff, but it sucks that Sasaki completely turned down Maruoīs best friend. That guy really spends a lot of time with her and, from his quiet expressions, cares about her, as well. Hopefully this coupling has a chance, too.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-25-2014, 05:46 AM
HS - Episode 21 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=591945)

-------------------------

I've heard about Prince of Tennis, how does this compare to that? Because this is pretty damn tight. I would imagine that PoT is like the Major of baseball while this is closer to an Adachi baseball anime in presentation.

MFauli
Mon, 08-25-2014, 11:40 AM
HS - Episode 21 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=591945)

-------------------------

I've heard about Prince of Tennis, how does this compare to that? Because this is pretty damn tight. I would imagine that PoT is like the Major of baseball while this is closer to an Adachi baseball anime in presentation.

PoT is like the Dragonball/One Piece/Naruto of tennis. Really fun to watch, but not going for realism.
Baby Steps is much more of a realistic depiction of the sports (said someone who doesnt know about tennis outside of anime).

If you like shounen and tennis, definitely watch it.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-31-2014, 06:14 AM
HS - Episode 22 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=594574)

------------------------------

47 points. That's tough. I do hope that this match will be over within 2 episodes. Having such an omnipotent guy to play against really wears you don't, even when I'm watching. It doesn't give you any easy or obvious ways to attack either.

MFauli
Sun, 08-31-2014, 07:05 AM
The ending part of this episode was super hype. For a sports anime that is generally ground in reality, this "100 fields-style tennis" sounds awesomely shounen-like :D But unlike any unrealistic fantasy-moves, itīs a play style thatīs somewhat believable.

Munsu
Mon, 09-08-2014, 12:59 AM
Horriblesubs 23:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=596547

Well really liked how this match ended. In any case, have always wondered why he never seems to watch the chick's game, despite him being infatuated with her. Always reasoned he was busy with his own matches, so he couldn't see her games, but this time around he was free to go watch her yet he never gave it a thought to consider watching her game. Which is odd. That said, looks like we'll get to see a game of hers in the next episode.

MFauli
Sun, 09-14-2014, 08:25 AM
ep 24 is out
--------------

damn, new coach, stop wasting our time with sidestuff and get back to playing tennis :>

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-14-2014, 02:10 PM
I was thinking that Kageyama was such a good friend and being supportive and totally forgot his selfish motive that goes alongside it. Bring on the romance!

Munsu
Sun, 09-21-2014, 10:08 PM
HorribleSubs Baby Steps Episode 25 (http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=600386)

Didn't realize this was going to be the last episode, well there's going to be a second season during Spring next year.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 09-22-2014, 12:37 AM
There better be a conclusion to the romance by the end of all this.

Munsu
Tue, 09-23-2014, 08:42 AM
There better be a conclusion to the romance by the end of all this.

We should know by now that this will be dragged through the rest of the series... so yes, let's hope that at least at the end we have something to show for it.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-24-2014, 02:24 AM
We should know by now that this will be dragged through the rest of the series... so yes, let's hope that at least at the end we have something to show for it.

I'm not thinking as far ahead as marriage, but I'm hoping for something more than a confession to Natsu. So maybe a proposal.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-05-2015, 09:11 AM
HS - Season 2 Episode 01 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=674317)

--------------------------------

YESSSS! More Baby Step!

I don't really know what to say.. more of the same goodness I suppose.

MFauli
Sun, 04-05-2015, 10:14 AM
Argh, its so frustrating to see Maruo lose match point after match point in the matter of seconds :/ Come on, if youīre so good at analyzing the opponent, do so within the given time. sigh

And yeah, more of the same. Which isnt a bad thing.

Edort4
Mon, 04-06-2015, 08:06 AM
I guess this is the arc for him to realize how big the world is and how being a pro isnt just a (mental) decision. We also get remembered that he actually is a noob and is still learning even some "basics" everytime he plays. Basics that should help him define his tennis (I liked the mention about how grass and clay players have different approaches for each sufarce). I really like this show even is its slow paced.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-12-2015, 08:34 AM
S02E02 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=677448)

-----------------------------------

Another good ep. The expectation was that Nat-chan would be the trigger to get Maruo out of a losing streak, but strings thankfully turned out to be the answer. While I'm cheering for their romance it's best if Maruo's tennis can stand independently as his own.

MFauli
Sun, 04-12-2015, 09:33 AM
Now that he has started winning, I hope he keeps at it. This anime likes to show the hero a glimpse of light, only to throw him back to hell, so Im a little afraid Maruo might get himself another couple of losses yet again. This anime seems, at times, absurdly hellbent on not making the hero appear as truly competent, skillful, powerful. Thatīs okay, too, ya know. As long as it doesnīt reach Echizen Ryoma-levels, itīs all good.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-19-2015, 07:52 AM
HS - S02E03 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=680420)

-----------------------------------

Now that he has started winning, I hope he keeps at it.

And so his immediately next match is a thrashing xD.

The romance chatter was the highlight for me here. Everything else is same old.

MFauli
Sun, 04-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Meh, too much realism here. Iīd have preferred a close match against Souji. Itīs somewhat frustrating to see Eiichiro fail this miserably. At least he won against Alex.

And poor A-chan, was about to fall in love with Alexī sister, only to find out sheīs just 13 years old ... gotta wait one more year for dat japanese legal age of consent :D

Munsu
Sun, 04-19-2015, 06:48 PM
I've found these first 3 episodes to be fairly boring. I kinda enjoyed when he first arrived to the States, the novelty and change of scenery did it good, but since then nothing of interest has occurred.

Munsu
Sun, 04-26-2015, 10:49 AM
Episode 4 is out somewhere, in all a solid episode.

MFauli
Sun, 04-26-2015, 11:00 AM
man, it takes all of luck for Ei-chan to get a win, eh? Really hope he continually manages to impress once heīs back in Japan. Im growing tired of the overly realistic tone theyīre going for here. Itīs okay to WIN!

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-26-2015, 11:09 AM
man, it takes all of luck for Ei-chan to get a win, eh? Really hope he continually manages to impress once heīs back in Japan. Im growing tired of the overly realistic tone theyīre going for here. Itīs okay to WIN!

It is okay to win, but don't forget that this guy's gone pro. Ei-chan still needs to win that Junior comp before he's even there.

If he wins easily after two weeks of training then this would be right up the shounen power-up alley. I particularly liked that they pointed out control wanes as you get tired. Ei-chan still needs to train his body even if he's not going down the power/speed route.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-03-2015, 08:23 AM
HS S02E05 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=686313)

------------------------

Oh Takuma, I feel sorry for you but annoyed at you at the same time. Not gonna happen though.

MFauli
Sun, 05-03-2015, 09:20 AM
Yeah, that is annoying. Spend 10 years doing nothing, then get jealous when another guy actually hits on her. lol

Btw is Takuma pro already? Must have missed that; but since heīs ranked 500, heīs gotta be, right.

Next episode looks like filler-stuff, meh

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-03-2015, 10:26 AM
I'm actually not too sure. I think he's gone pro because they said he was in a slump sometime. The thing is, I can't remember what Souji's big deal was if Takuma was already a pro.

Munsu
Tue, 05-19-2015, 09:48 PM
And let the games begin... Up to episode 7 now.

Nice to see Maruo's progression in real matches, good start to the tournament.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-20-2015, 07:22 AM
That 1st round thrashing was a delight to watch. That's what you get for looking down on Maruo! (It would have been better if it was Araya though, this guy felt good partly because of misinformation).

The downside to these tournaments is that Maruo now has plot armour. If he'll stop playing tennis on the first loss, it's not going to happen.

David75
Wed, 05-20-2015, 11:18 AM
But he can lose the all japan... And with a twist still continue his tennisman carreer.Like losing in the final on bad luck and he gets a sponsor or anything resembling a plot twist

shinta|hikari
Wed, 05-20-2015, 01:46 PM
Or his parents can just, you know, support their talented and hardworking son with loads of potential?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-25-2015, 11:49 AM
HS - S02E08 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=694222)

----------------------------

As always, the movements are great to watch.

Munsu
Mon, 05-25-2015, 09:51 PM
I really enjoyed this last match, might be my favorite in the series so far.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-31-2015, 06:48 AM
HS - S02E09 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=696618)

------------------

Ha! "Mental training" meant something totally different to me. I didn't think males were that much more dominant over females in tennis though.

MFauli
Sun, 05-31-2015, 06:55 AM
ugh, the wait!!1

And I guess the Araya match will last for at last 2 episodes. ugh.

i really hope Eiichiro wins this and they dont pull another overly realistic lose-situation.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-31-2015, 08:19 AM
He won't lose.

He can't lose, so he won't.

^ definition of plot armour.

(Disclaimer: I suppose he can lose in that he'll go to the All-Japan Junior, but losing to Araya here won't be good since he isn't the top of Kamogawa region.)

David75
Sun, 05-31-2015, 11:37 PM
They insisted on the fact he qualifies for the All-Japan Junior if he wins 2 matches, which he did very easilly and is only targeting the bonus from being seeded.
Since they insisted so much, even if he loses, it's alright. After all, seeded or not, he has to beat everyone at the All-Japan.
And the under-dog gives more oportunity for the show.
Araya is a very tough oponent, with incredible body strenght. It might be Maruo has to forfeit because he's at his limits physically and is at the point of hurting himself bad if he wants to try and beat Araya. A good lesson to learn, reinforce his body weaknesses to come back even stronger at the All-J, even unseeded.

And I'm not totally surprised by the difference between Maruo and Natsu. They are the same age and teenage hormones already kicked in. Before 10 of age, the match could have been more balanced. But at their level and age, it doesn't feel possible.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-21-2015, 06:44 AM
HS - Episode 12 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=703527)

----------------------------------

You were right. Superior body won. Grrr....

The gathering of "rivals" next week looks fun.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-05-2015, 06:34 AM
HS - S2 E14 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=708208)

It's official! Ei-chan got beaten to the punch, but his reasoning wasn't wrong. The relationship would feel awkward and strange if he never went pro. I too would be worried about that and think about whether I should have confessed at all.

Nat-chan's reasoning of "I like you so let's go out" still holds superior despite that.

MFauli
Sun, 07-05-2015, 06:43 AM
Ugh, Im about to re-confess to a girl in about 2 weeks, but Iīm not as hopeful as Ei-chan :>

Anyway, okay episode. Dont like these in-between-matches episodes much. Now I hope that Ei-chanīs match against this blonde boy doesnīt take up two episodes or more. Go finish him off quickly!

David75
Sun, 07-05-2015, 11:17 PM
Everyone is so sure Nat-chan is to go pro... Eventhough she's strong and all, she might be the one to throw the towel.And she perfectly manages her free time, seizing all opportunities to spend good times.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-06-2015, 12:03 AM
Well unlike Ei-chan, she hasn't set herself the goal of quitting if she doesn't win the nationals. She's been playing tennis for so long that it's long been part of her life and seems to be well accepted by her family. Ei-chan had to strike a deal with his and promised to quit if he doesn't become the junior national champion. It's a lot riskier for him.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-06-2015, 12:34 AM
And Natsu is actually top level in her sex group.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-06-2015, 12:45 AM
Aki-chan does give her a run for her money, but yes. Top level stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/OApb3M4.jpg

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-06-2015, 08:07 AM
Why does Natsu look so horrible in the anime.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-06-2015, 09:38 PM
The anime has fluctuating proportions for people. Ei-chan doesn't look particularly bad because he's not particularly good looking I suppose.. and we're more focused on his tennis.

MFauli
Sun, 07-12-2015, 05:57 AM
episode 15 is out
-----------------

lol, setting up Ei-chan as the villain here :D
Gonna be so sweet when he beats this goody good guy ... I hope ...

neflight86
Sun, 07-12-2015, 12:12 PM
And was Saber the ref for his first match this ep, or am I hearing things?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-12-2015, 02:25 PM
And was Saber the ref for his first match this ep, or am I hearing things?

Not sure where this comes from. "Lose by default" sounds something like that, but that's the only matching audio I'm hearing.

The only person Natsu will finish her match early and cheer for Ei-chan. That's the only voice he needs to hear.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-19-2015, 07:41 AM
HS - Episode 16 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=713656)

Great job in turning Ide's fandom against him (from our perspective). I'm disliking him even though he's done nothing wrong. Hurry up with your romantic support Natsu.

MFauli
Sun, 07-19-2015, 07:47 AM
Beat him badly, Maruo!

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-26-2015, 06:56 AM
HS - Episode 17 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=716267)

---------------------------

Still waiting for the Natsu cheering :(

MFauli
Sun, 07-26-2015, 09:09 AM
Still waiting for the Natsu cheering :(

Iīd prefer for him to overcome this smug enemy by his own strength, but yeah, I kinda expect this to become the turning point: Natsu appearing on one side of the audience and shouting something like "Ei-chan, donīt you dare losing! If you win, Iīll give you a kiss!" all while sheīs standing next to the wheel chair kid and caring for him, thus winning over the audience.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-26-2015, 09:17 AM
I don't need her to use a kiss as a reward. I only want her to cheer him on so that he realises just as Ide plays to please his fans, he's playing to keep up with Natsu. The kiss can come automatically afterwards, but dangling it in front of Ei-chan cheapens the purpose of this tennis.

MFauli
Sun, 08-02-2015, 07:06 AM
new ep is out
---------------

man, that was fucking awesome! ffs, the second half made me feel like i was watching one of the better battles in Hunter X Hunter ... which doesnt make much sense, lol.

next week looks to be boring, though.

Munsu
Sun, 08-02-2015, 07:55 PM
I thought that the whole pressure and measuring it was completely idiotic.

Other than that, the final game of this match was really good particularly from an animation standpoint. A lot of quick hits and rallies, and some fun shots made.

Was hoping the episode wouldn't end right at the end of the match, wanted to see some of the aftermath in this episode.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-03-2015, 07:42 AM
Natsu made all the right moves - cheering when Ei-chan required it, then just confidently believing he'd win. I'm with bud, the erasing thing seemed weird. I don't know if anyone actually does it so literally (the whole pen/paper/erasor thing), but I can actually see as a thought.

1) count the things against you
2) slowly forget about it (but not entirely to the point where you're 100% relaxed)

It seems like it'd work. I'll go ahead and say literal imagery looks better animated.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-03-2015, 08:09 AM
It's probably just a concentration and relaxation ritual, like writing "hito" on your palm and eating it, or seeing the audience as vegetables.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-03-2015, 08:18 AM
But you're not allowed to eat the whole hito. You must also leave a eyes on the vegetables.

MFauli
Sun, 08-16-2015, 06:01 AM
episode 20 is out
-------------------

good, maruo will win this. seeing how his opponent is clearly and asshole, or "evil", thereīs no way theyīd let the hero lose here. I had doubts when this match started, but itīs all clear now. Final will be boring though. Heīll be fighting Nabae and I donīt see him win here. Will probably be kept for the All-Japan tournament.

David75
Sun, 08-16-2015, 07:55 AM
Somehow, that match feels a lot like some bits and pieces taken from the Lendl/Chang Roland Garros match era.
They redistributed some attributes, but you get some vibes.

Back to the show, somehow Maruo gets to play so many different and talented players he can analyse and use as experience. that's clearly a bit too much. It's good for the show, so I won't complain.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-16-2015, 08:39 AM
I might be ahead of Maruo in this regard since I'm cool with (ab)using the law to your advantage. I don't feel much aggravation from seeing someone do that.

Munsu
Sun, 08-16-2015, 02:52 PM
I'm fine with the psychological warfare, but the whole "he's starting at me" crap, and how due to that it throws his game was idiotic.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-23-2015, 09:06 AM
HS - Episode 21 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=725783)

----------------------

Nabae had a huge weakness? Somehow I think it's girls - or Natsu.

MFauli
Sun, 08-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Not too excited for the next match. I just donīt see Maruo beating Nabae. Thatīs a moment theyīll want to keep for the all-japan tournament. Unless Takuma participates there, too, and becomes Maruoīs final hurdle in becoming a pro.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-23-2015, 10:24 AM
I don't think Maruo's on-the-fly analysis is as good as Nabae's, nor is he as detailed regarding specs. He's still got his born talent for vision though. I don't think Nabae's born with any gifts other than his mind for analysis.

Munsu
Sun, 08-23-2015, 11:18 AM
So many dumb things happening lately that it's irritating me to no end.

2 point lead in a tie-breaker, so logically "let's try something I've never done before to see what happens". /me shakes head

Thankfully he won handily, so there's that at least.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Thankfully he won handily, so there's that at least.

I found it funny when Maruo stopped giving a shit about him and just won.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-30-2015, 08:34 AM
HS - Episode 22 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=728162)

-------------------------------------------

Next week:

http://i.imgur.com/nocccF2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/lkNBCiB.jpg

MFauli
Sun, 08-30-2015, 09:44 AM
lol

anyway ... THE ZONE! Canīt wait for when Nabae also enters the zone, forcing Maruo to find the zone within the zone!

Whatever. The beginning of this match is a nice surprise, but Iīm still skeptical Maruoīs chances of winning it. Especially the phone call wit his mom ... felt like a typical "too good to be true" offer.

And I keep thinking ... if Maruo won against Nabae here, what would be left in the All-Japan tournament? Takuma would be the only "enemy" left, and tbh I donīt see whatīs so amazing about him, his ace shots aside.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-30-2015, 10:04 AM
anyway ... THE ZONE! Canīt wait for when Nabae also enters the zone, forcing Maruo to find the zone within the zone!

That's not going to happen. They're not playing doubles yet.

Maruo could still win against Nabae, then lose against the guy who beats Araya. That way he gets to play against another unknown player (to us), and reinforce the notion that upsets can still happen.

If his mum starts watching his tennis from the next match onwards, it paves the way for him to be able to lose in the All-Japan, yet still be allowed to continue his tennis. He's got Natsu now, and if his parents are willing to let him I'm sure he won't feel too bad about breaking his vow.

David75
Sun, 08-30-2015, 10:22 AM
They had to remind us several times Nabae is an average player with incredible control/analysis/experience/seriouness/careful training. They even had him notice Maruo is a genius of the Ikke caliber when it comes to how quickly he evolves, even telling us Takuma doesn't compare. They've been as far as showing us a potential weakness Maruo could activate (by becoming the one that plays like a wall... for example).So I think he has his chances with what we've been shown. They were even careful enough to tell us Natsu's love isn't a deathflag :D

Of course, all of this might be a trap...

Munsu
Sun, 08-30-2015, 11:53 AM
No game or anything exciting, but I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. Honestly didn't care for the Nabae tantrums... I give that portion a big MEH.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-30-2015, 11:56 AM
It's foreshadowing why Nabae will crack before Maruo.

Munsu
Sun, 08-30-2015, 12:23 PM
It's foreshadowing why Nabae will crack before Maruo.

Doesn't mean I can't find the whole segment boring.

MFauli
Sun, 08-30-2015, 01:20 PM
You know, it would be a nice surprise, if Maruo actually won the damn thing. Have Arata win his match, so Maruo can also show off his new tennis prowess against this foe, and have everything set up for the showdown against Takuma in the All-Japan tournament.

Wonīt happen, but itīd be a nice variation to the perfectly predictable assumption that Maruo is gonna lose this or the final match. And itīd be too nice to see everybodyīs reaction. "Omg, this Maruo guy, who is he!? He beat everyone! All those seeded players!"

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-31-2015, 04:07 PM
You know, it would be a nice surprise, if Maruo actually won the damn thing. Have Arata win his match, so Maruo can also show off his new tennis prowess against this foe, and have everything set up for the showdown against Takuma in the All-Japan tournament.

Wonīt happen, but itīd be a nice variation to the perfectly predictable assumption that Maruo is gonna lose this or the final match. And itīd be too nice to see everybodyīs reaction. "Omg, this Maruo guy, who is he!? He beat everyone! All those seeded players!"

That would be cool. He and Natsu go off on a nice holiday, then when they hit the All Japan Junior every player will be gunning for them.

Also, that means Natsu will be introduced to family next match. :3

Munsu
Sun, 09-06-2015, 10:35 AM
23:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=730770

Man I just want to punch repeatedly Mauro's "I can't believe it" face. Seriously, I really hate his expressions on how he reacts to just about everything when it doesn't go his way.

MFauli
Sun, 09-06-2015, 10:56 AM
For all his data, it pretty much ALWAYS fails him. When Maruo explains what he needs to do, you can bet it will fail lol

Munsu
Sun, 09-06-2015, 10:56 AM
For all his data, it pretty much ALWAYS fails him. When Maruo explains what he needs to do, you can bet it will fail lol

Right, and for all about aiming at the lines, the shot he took was the same as he always did... O.o

Munsu
Sun, 09-20-2015, 08:19 PM
Well episodes 24 and 25 are out... and with this the season is over.

Maybe the series? In all the final match was entertaining, so no real complaints on that regard. But Maruo is a major jackass for not going to Natsu's games.

Anyways, hope we get to see more animated. There was no announcement this time around, so people seem pessimistic particularly for how the last moments of the last episode were handled.

MFauli
Sun, 09-20-2015, 08:27 PM
No new season announced? Ugh. Well, if this isnt getting continued, at least i can binge the manga.

The match went the way I expected it to go, which is boring. And itīs ridiculous that Araya won in the final. Come on! Not only is Araya a worse player, it also makes NO sense for Nabae to, as they implied, throw the game because he kept thinking of the future. Just how arrogant is that, too?

Since Maruo said heīd have to beat Nabae to win the All Japan-tournament, I just hoope their third match is 2 episodes at most.

David75
Sun, 09-20-2015, 11:40 PM
Maruo thinks about the future and his mother: he loses...Next step is the all japan. But it's true the last moments of the ep were not an opening to another season...

Munsu
Tue, 09-22-2015, 07:54 PM
Maruo thinks about the future and his mother: he loses...Next step is the all japan. But it's true the last moments of the ep were not an opening to another season...

Personally I'm not reading too much into it at the moment. In general NHK has done a good job going the distance with the series they pick up. So we'll see what happens. Guess I'll prepare to continue with the manga if needed be, but I'm not going that route yet.

David75
Sun, 11-11-2018, 06:53 AM
Just a small update, there's a very short special (5 minutes) featuring Natsu, and Maruo having a match with Shingo Kunieda to promote Tokyo 2020 paralympics.
Watched it today on the NHK world channel.
Crunchyroll article:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/08/24/baby-steps-teams-up-with-shingo-kunieda-to-promote-tokyo-2020-paralympic-games

MFauli
Sun, 11-11-2018, 06:08 PM
Proper continuation when? :(

David75
Mon, 11-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Well, they at least still know how to re-start all the production.