PDA

View Full Version : Haikyuu!!

MFauli
Sun, 04-13-2014, 08:33 AM

A chance event triggered Shouyou Hinata's love for volleyball. His club had no members, but somehow persevered and finally made it into its very first and final regular match of middle school, where it was steamrolled by Tobio Kageyama, a superstar player known as "King of the Court." Vowing revenge, Hinata applied to the Karasuno High School volleyball club... only to come face-to-face with his hated rival, Kageyama!

A tale of hot-blooded youth and volleyball from the pen of Haruichi Furudate!!

----------------------------

I guess sports anime are just really easy to get into, so it´s no surprise that I´ll follow this one. Other than the girlish voice of Shouyou (cant call him Hinata, lol), these first two episodes were really fun to watch. My last volleyball-anime was Mila Superstar, what, twenty years ago? Not expecting anything special, but just some typical shounen-sports series is exactly what I want from this.

The "king" is a good rival to keep the hero motivated. Obviously, they´ll grow into a deadly combination. Though I don´t find the glasses girl hot at all.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-14-2014, 10:13 AM
I got bored during some parts of this show, and I rarely get bored during marathons. That said, it's watchable. I get really annoyed hearing about how Hinata admires the Little Giant though. I don't mind the main character being an underdog, but when he admires an underdog it irks me. Maybe it's because it feels like he's just trying to be a v2.. or that Little Giant is so awkward to say..

David75
Sat, 06-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Why do you think the little giant is an underdog? Because he is only there to deceive the blocks and has no other uses and does not have the fame of an ace?
My guess is that he chose that guy at first because he's short like he is, then he understood the guy was actually efficient. He also had fun and was an integral part of the team, probably even a leader. Since our red head has a size complex, I can understand why he wanted the little giant as a role model.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-14-2014, 07:26 PM
I understand why he chose Little Giant as a role model since he's the same build as he is etc etc. He's going to be this little guy who can defy big fellows by jumping to the right place at the right time. What I don't enjoy so much is that he's not being the first person to do it, but instead is Little Giant The Second.

In other words, I would have liked it better if we didn't have a Little Giant to begin with, and Hinata was actually the first one to be such a figure.

As for the underdog statement, well I called them underdogs because they lacked the obvious advantages that make them natural winners (basically, because they're not tall). It's not an entirely correct way of using the term I'll admit, but that's what I meant when I used it.

MFauli
Sun, 06-22-2014, 05:41 AM
Episode 12:

Ya know, I keep wondering if this is a sports anime made for girl. Of all the sports anime I´ve watched, this one is the hardest to do so. Animation is fine, artstyle better than average and it has its typical sports anime-moments, but ... there´s soooo much talk about feelings, emotions, flashbacks even. My 100% politically incorrect first-thought would be to call all of this "gay".

Anyone else feeling (lol) like that? In crass contrast to this, Baby Steps is exactly what I want from a sports anime, focus on the sports, the action, and the hero´s development.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-22-2014, 07:41 AM
This episode actually felt like one of the better ones. The ending actually felt short. I agree with your analysis. For starters, Kageyama doesn't even need to improve it seems. He's already boss all round.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-26-2014, 10:45 PM
HS - Episode 16 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=577512)

--------------------------------

I was going to suggest that they should give us some more girls volleyball for eyecandy's sake, but in the end I decided that it wasn't worth it. Unless they fully develop their personalities it probably isn't worth the time. Our main team has enough substance to keep this up without girls. The manager doesn't really count since she doesn't do anything.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-27-2014, 07:32 AM
HS - Episode 17 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=580448)

-----------------------

Either this week is filled with some blood-pumping episodes across various shows or I'm just in a particularly good mood. Those special attacks rocked. Karasuno's receiving being a weak point has been the subject of their training for so long that I almost forgot how good their offence actually is.

David75
Sun, 07-27-2014, 07:43 AM
It's just they finally were able to put everything into place in this match.
But I remember doing that at the same age... Second line attack, decoy, two stage attack and the likes.
Differences were that the balls were quicker (they have been slowed since then), tie break didn't exist, you could serve only from half the width of the filed and you had no libero. Also, you didn't get point from getting the serve back. Yup, it was that far in the past :D
The only thing we had trouble with were the quickies, because it's a lot more difficult than anything else.

Chibi is starting doing that, but we didn't see it that much: slow/low power balls. They can be done by the setter too and are very effective because the guys in front are waiting for a powerful attack, yet the ball is elsewhere with no power... so you need good reflexes and precision to lift the ball again with enough power.
Karasuno needs to improve the serve and receive parts too.
But they are on the right path.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-27-2014, 07:58 AM
Regarding balls with now power, that was exactly my thought after the ball landed in Dateko's own court despite their block - just tap it in.

I also had to look up what a libero was after starting this anime since it wasn't around during my highschool years.

David75
Sun, 07-27-2014, 09:01 AM
There's another ace card they can use:switch your spike from your dominant arm to the other.
Sure, the attack lacks in power, but you can target other parts of the court and more than anything you trick the block and receivers.
I loved doing that.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-03-2014, 08:07 AM
HS - Episode 18 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=583211)

--------------------------------

"Bring it here" -> Hinata

I also take back what I said a few weeks back. Keep the girls team around, even if they're cheering. They're very welcome.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-10-2014, 05:43 AM
HS - Episode 19 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=586068)

-------------------------

Well played Kageyama, well played.

The coach must have noticed that Oikawa would learn about the opposite team as well, so their signs would have been changed to accommodate for this.

Munsu
Mon, 08-03-2015, 01:55 AM
Just watched the first season, and it was fairly solid overall. I thought the main character was going to be better, had a good first episode, but after that he was a bit of a let down.

The side-characters were good, though severely limited. Too much time spent with team members and no room for anyone else. Had a few good funny moments as well.

I guess what I liked the most was the animation. From all sports anime, this one had the most entertaining animation... quick points, lots of activity, and the games weren't overly long. So that was a big plus. But suffers from the same thing most sports series go through, too much set-up, too much training, too much practice matches.

Plot was a bit meh.

Anyways, 2nd season will start in October.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-03-2015, 07:46 AM
You're talking about the small guy right? I kind of like him the way he is at the moment. He's a key player, but he's a decoy, not the ace. That already makes this something different, unlike most other strikers (soccer) or pitchers (baseball) where you're essentially the centre of the team.

The other thing I guess is that there's no main girl. There's a mascot/manager/idol, but no main girl.

Munsu
Mon, 08-03-2015, 08:02 AM
You're talking about the small guy right? I kind of like him the way he is at the moment. He's a key player, but he's a decoy, not the ace. That already makes this something different, unlike most other strikers (soccer) or pitchers (baseball) where you're essentially the centre of the team.

The other thing I guess is that there's no main girl. There's a mascot/manager/idol, but no main girl.

I meant more about some of his personality traits and overall some of the skills he had, the show was very inconsistent with them.

And yeah, the lack of female characters sucked.

Munsu
Sat, 10-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Taking the place of Baby Steps this season, here's the first episode of the second season:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=740397

Looking forward to it.

MFauli
Wed, 10-07-2015, 08:16 PM
just watched the first ep.

god, i hate how overplayed that "evil grin to display a mixture of confidence and recklessness" thing is. For fuck´s sake, keep it for special moments! When almost everybody makes this face, it cheapens its effect, making everybody look like arrogant, lunatic fools.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-23-2015, 05:39 AM
Episode 03 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=745899)

------------------------------------

Shimizu is an entirely different person in S2. She actually talks and stuff. The mum crying was pretty awesome.

Munsu
Fri, 10-23-2015, 08:27 AM
Episode 03 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=745899)

------------------------------------

Shimizu is an entirely different person in S2. She actually talks and stuff. The mum crying was pretty awesome.

I'm heading for work and don't have time, so I'll just copy paste what I mentioned in another thread:

Haikyuu!! 2 - Nothing to complain about here. If you enjoyed the first season, you'll be enjoying this one. Glad another female character was introduced, with more female character dialogues as well. I wonder why they never integrated more of the female volleyball team to the series, particularly their captain.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention.. the subtitlers screwed up. Karasuno won their practice match, not the other way around.

Munsu
Sun, 10-25-2015, 11:39 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention.. the subtitlers screwed up. Karasuno won their practice match, not the other way around.

In episode 4?
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=748522

Or in the previous ones? Because episode 4 had a lot of them.

Anyways, good to see more female characters. Hope this one also sticks around more often.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-27-2015, 08:07 AM
I was talking about Episode 03. I only saw 04 just now. That was fine, no errors there.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-13-2015, 09:24 AM
HS - Episode 11 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=765387)

Someone is going to get absolutely OWNED next episode. :D

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-20-2015, 02:05 AM
HS - Episode 12 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=767423)

----------------------------------------

It's here!!!!!!

The other team was nicely characterised for a cannon-fodder team. It makes me feel a little bad about pwning them. Oh well, that's life. It sucks that you can only have one manager on the caught. So left out :'(

Also, nothing beats a good rally.

MFauli
Sun, 02-21-2016, 11:39 AM
new episode is out, whatever number, since nobody is watching anyway
---------------------------------------

just because someone´s drawn in a different artstyle doesnt mean he´s stronger ;O

and ive gotta say: i really HATE the teacher of Karasuno. He looks just as young as the players, and he´s so awfully close with them. Either he´s a pedophile, or gay.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-21-2016, 05:43 PM
The one with glasses? I don't see the problem with him. If he's as young as them, that makes him less of a paedophile right?

There's not much to talk about (like most sports anime that don't have a romantic subplot actually), but it's good. This is one of those anime that I'm eager to watch weekly.

MFauli
Sun, 02-21-2016, 08:38 PM
I wish I was as eager as you :/ This anime TRIES to replace Kuroko, but it´s just not exciting/manly enough. With Kuroko, each episode would have me pumped up from excitement and tension.
In Haikyuu, everybody is so ... nice. It needs more true rivary and antipathy.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-21-2016, 09:05 PM
Kuroko killed itself but being too magical. The early days were good.

I've always thought of this as more of a "Knight in the Area" thing that actually worked properly: King of the Court's been looking for someone who can receive his passes, while the scorer's needed nurturing/backup to make his skills useful. Unlike Knight in the Area, you actually follow through instead of throwing in some psychological bullshit.

I can see the Kuroko comparison though. They're both sausage fests.

In Haikyuu, everybody is so ... nice. It needs more true rivary and antipathy.

I'm cool with this. It's interhigh sports. You don't need to make assholes out of each other.

Munsu
Sun, 02-21-2016, 10:39 PM
I'm still watching, but not giving it too much thought.

MFauli
Mon, 02-22-2016, 07:19 AM
Lol, I totally forgot about Area no Kishi. How did it end again? Did he fuse with his dead brother´s mind and become the best player ever? ;D

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-07-2016, 04:10 AM
The mix of adrenaline and comedy in this show is great. They're timed well and don't overstay their welcome.

http://i.imgur.com/1uiEgGE.jpg

Munsu
Fri, 03-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Just caught up. Was worried about the latest game being too long, but it was overall entertaining from start to finish.

I still think that Hinata's impact on this team has been highly diminished since the beginning of the series, at times going through most of the episode without him taking part in any portion of the game. So we're both seeing a lessening of his role on this team (despite getting better and finding new weapons to compete with) and a lessening of his role in the series as a whole (at least in games as it were).

I was surprised when the opposing coach commented on how there's not much to do with Number 10, he'll get his points... but he really hasn't been all that featured.

Minor rant over.

Seems like there's one more episode to go for this season to end.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-25-2016, 10:52 PM
I think it's slightly better that way since he's supposed to be a decoy as opposed to an ace. He's flashy, but doesn't necessarily top-scores.

He's really got to get those wipe-outs down. It's the best anti-block thing ever.

Munsu
Fri, 03-25-2016, 11:29 PM
I think it's slightly better that way since he's supposed to be a decoy as opposed to an ace. He's flashy, but doesn't necessarily top-scores.

He's really got to get those wipe-outs down. It's the best anti-block thing ever.

This doesn't come into since his "decoy" play doesn't get featured either. He's often non-existent on the floor from a viewers perspective.

I have no problem with him being a decoy, and him being the main character and all, he should be featured more during the games.

My 2 cents.

David75
Sat, 03-26-2016, 12:49 AM
I don't know how the final against that powerhouse team will play out, but maybe they had in mind to show everyone else progress in the team and then they will put the lights on Hinata again showing how he still evolves and makes the difference.
Their level as a team and on an individual level was below the average.
Now we know everyone is better and they can beat strong teams. But they clearly aren't that strong yet.
To me, the greatest weapon Hinata has is his hability to see everything around him and choose the best spiking spot, as well as his speed and ability to spike/block anywhere. Coupled with imba sets, he should become unstoppable when he masters that kinetic vision.
Because otherwise he's small and his spikes lack power. So he can only work on his speed and kinetic vision to make a difference.

Munsu
Wed, 04-20-2016, 08:05 PM
Well, finished watching episode 25, last of season 2...

Overall, I enjoyed the first season more, but still a solid sports anime. I think the practice matches arc was a bit overlong, and not all that entertaining, so that was the biggest flaw for me even though I usually enjoy training segments.

Now the wait for season 3, which comes out this fall.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-03-16/haikyu-volleyball-tv-anime-gets-season-3-in-fall/.99844

With the first arc being about playing Shiratorizawa, how do you think it will turn out.

I mean, if story wise it was a win, then I'm sure they would've included it as the conclusion of season 2. But who knows.

I'm leaning towards the season beginning with a loss. Not sure what it will mean for the seniors, we'll see.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-21-2016, 02:22 AM
I think it'll be a win. They can then spend the time playing in the Nationals.

This can be a cliffhanger.

Munsu
Thu, 04-21-2016, 07:49 AM
I think it'll be a win. They can then spend the time playing in the Nationals.

This can be a cliffhanger.

Yeah. Could go either way. Beating this last team was a goal as it was, so it does fit as a season ender even if there was a bigger fish to fry around the corner.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Season 3 - Episode 01

-------------------

And it's back. More of the same, so I can't complain.

MFauli
Mon, 10-10-2016, 07:09 PM
I dunno. I had to force myself to finish s2, but this first ep of s3 was a lot more fun to watch. I like how they´re taking their time setting up this big match that´s about to span the entire 10 episode-season. Makes it feel more like Kuroko, really focusing on one match.

Loved the scene where Hinata was told to do "that" and everybody´s like "OHHHHH!".

Definitely more hyped for s3 than I was for s2.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-12-2016, 05:31 AM
HS - Episode 05 S3

-------------------------------

These episodes have been really good.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-02-2016, 08:40 PM
HS - Episode 09

-----------------

CLIFFHANGER.. FUCK. (well, judging from the preview it's easy to see whether that hit went in or not)

Season 3 has been the tightest season yet. They better win after all of this.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-09-2016, 09:42 PM
HS - Episode 10

------------------

Oh yeah.

I'd forgotten that Kageyama is the real genius in this team after all the crazy shit they've been doing. Go on the trip I say, and bring back something valuable. Don't forego it for "training with the team".

David75
Sat, 12-10-2016, 01:45 AM
I wonder if we will really esacape the usual choice Kageyama will face : should I prioritize myself and test if I'm a real genius and can become a national volley teal setter, or should I vow loyalty to the team of friends that got me selected in the first place and needs me to compete in the nationals to come.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-10-2016, 02:50 AM
Oh, he'll contemplate about it. The team will get him to go. Hopefully he does actually go and we have some individual training arcs. He's stupid if he decides to stay. I do wonder how he'd grow as a setter though. He's already great, and he's mastered the idea of making the ball easy to hit. His serves are also on point. In fact, if they all work on serves it'd be an easy upgrade.

They could have him come back early to integrate with the team, but I think an even better approach is to have him review videos of the team's progress even when he's away (thanks to the hard working managers). That shows he cares about the team even when he's improving himself.

David75
Sat, 12-10-2016, 03:12 AM
I still think he's weak with not so good balls he has to send to spikers other than Hinata.
He could also organise the attack better when he's the one defending
He has to be better at blocking and the follow-up too.
Training with national level contenders, equipement and national level coaching staff will probably help him better all of his weaknesses, and strengthen his core qualities. And also broaden his ability to adapt to any spiker.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-26-2020, 11:23 PM
Season ?4 E3

------------------------------

The first 3 episodes were a bit of a drag, but we're finally talking about techniques and training to improve now. I get that they needed to show us how lacking Hinata was in insight, but that's enough now.

KrayZ33
Mon, 01-27-2020, 12:31 AM
I enjoy these training episodes far more than any game. This could continue for another 3 episode and I wouldn't mind.
As long as we see improvement and we get to experience that in action later.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-15-2020, 05:23 AM
S4E06

-------------------------------

It's a match!!

Let's see what uptight Kageyama ends up bringing to the team. They left it quite cryptic up until now. Something along the lines of the setter asking for things from the spiker/team rather than always the other way around.

Great comedic effect with the "Go Home" line in the snow.

David75
Sat, 02-15-2020, 06:57 AM
My guess is Kageyama is too predictable, then easy to read. So the blockers will continue to own him... until he starts being unpredictable again.
Probably comes from the fact his tossing choices are always striving for the optimal smash. The optimal smashes set is a lot smaller than the scoring smashes set. It also stripes smashers from showing how great they are, adapting to very hard to strike balls and growing in the process. His asumptions are probably too much on the safe side, not giving him and his team mates room for improvement and impredictability.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-21-2020, 07:21 AM
S4 - Episode 11

-----------------------------------

That was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Finally an episode where the entire team comes together, everyone puts in what they've learned to slam that ball down as hard as they can into that court. Best episode this season thus far.

Aside from the obviously flashy moves from the younger fellas, having the Karasuno Alumnis watch from the top and giving the 3rd years' "growth" was a clever idea. Those guys never had a lot of change in their technique per se but formed the bread and butter of regular volleyball that the "talents" get to fall back on.

No joke, I actually had red eyes here at the end of the episode seeing Karasuno finally make it big. I didn't expect that from this show.

KrayZ33
Sat, 03-21-2020, 10:22 AM
It wasn't that emotional for me but I loved how Hinata kept tackling the ball instead of recieving it properly

It was his moment of truth, and the second time he did it I couldn't help but laugh and stop the video for a few seconds.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-25-2020, 04:37 AM
The latest episode's pacing felt a little off.

I don't really care about Nekoma much so I feel quite unsatisfied. I want to see Hinata beat the twins.

Munsu
Tue, 10-27-2020, 11:58 PM
The latest episode's pacing felt a little off.

I don't really care about Nekoma much so I feel quite unsatisfied. I want to see Hinata beat the twins.

Agreed, particularly when it occurs right in the middle of another match

KrayZ33
Thu, 10-29-2020, 10:43 AM
Same.

I didn't even watch it.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-31-2020, 12:42 PM
Episode 18

--------------------

Started with bloody Nekoma again.... but it ended up being actually pretty good. How hilarious was that guy's "Oh."

But now, finally back to our main team.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-05-2020, 12:08 AM
Episode 23

------------------------

The last couple of weeks feels a little like the match is dragging on. I'm not bored... I think. It's more that there's not anywhere near as much satisfaction or emotional drive going into each episode as some of the Haikyuu of old. There are still moments, but they are fleetingly here and there on a backdrop of an ongoing volleyball game as opposed to a particular theme being the driving point of the game.

For example, let's look at what we've learned this game:

-Silver twin was actually better than Blonde twin in the beginning, but Blonde is considered slightly better right now due to this hard and passion.

-Our libero can feel down at times as well, but he can recover.

-The match started off with showing Hinata being able to run into balls, then he finally receives one properly. There's no follow up from this though to show it's a game changer.

-Bald spiker doesn't just spike hard but can read people's blocks properly. Now we know he's good at line shots and cuts.

-Glasses still gets tired, but he's keen to work.

-Kageyama serves, sets and blocks well. In fact he's supposed to block even better than Glasses.

Anyway, the point is that episodes spent time to develop each and one of these strengths.. then the match seems to just reset to a point as if the development didn't happen. Plot points introduced made no meaningful difference aside from when they happened.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-11-2020, 07:36 PM
Episode 24

---------------------

Aaand they won! We all knew they would, but damn it's still nice to watch. It seems a little farfetched that Daichi managed to get a ball back by running right after Glasses AND get it up from such a low position but eh.

edit:

Holy shit, I had forgotten that this happened. It adds a whole extra meaning to that "Memories" scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMqCG8oz-io&feature=youtu.be&t=116

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-12-2020, 06:26 AM
Holy shit, I had forgotten that this happened. It adds a whole extra meaning to that "Memories" scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMqCG8oz-io&feature=youtu.be&t=116

You mean that last attack? Yup, that was awesome and it fit really well.
Or what do you mean with "Memories"?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-12-2020, 06:34 PM
Bit of both.

Like, the twins pulled off the last attack thanks to their motto of not having memories and always charging forward, looking for something new.

But... Hinata/Kageyama managed to counter that because they had memories of speed being fallible.

Inarizaki's captain noted that memories aren't useless, and that final bit kind of symbolised why Karasuno beat them.