PDA

View Full Version : Soul Eater Not!

Kraco
Tue, 04-08-2014, 05:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/g4H9Vmm.jpg

"Soul Eater Not! is a side-story to the main series, focusing on a freshman halberd named Tsugumi Harudori, who befriends two other meisters, Meme Tatane and Anya Hepburn. All three take part in the NOT (Normally Overcome Target) class at DWMA and learn to control their powers in order to overcome their difficulties to have a normal life, as opposed to the battle-oriented EAT (Especially Advanced Talent) class taken by Maka, Soul, and their companions." -Wikipedia

Genres: Action, comedy, supernatural, school life, shounen
Links: AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=10254) | ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=12446) | Official (http://www.souleaternot.tv/)
Download: Episode 1 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=540865)

- - - - - - - -- -

One of the shows I was looking forward to. This won't be as good as the main story, or at least the manga and the portion of the anime that followed the manga, but this will still be a treat for a big Soul Eater fan such as myself. The occasional cameos of the old characters really boost the eps as well. Of course I enjoyed watching this in an animated form, like any manga. Just seeing the ridiculous sun again was so nice. The original story had some weight with the madness and heavy fighting I don't expect in this story, at least not nearly to the same degree, but there ought to be some.

Both shows are by Bones, but this felt graphically slightly different. I don't think that will really matter since the emphasis in this one isn't on asskicking. Production values were quite average, but it should work with the story.

I'll definitely keep watching.

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-08-2014, 07:14 PM
After a while, I was enjoying Soul Eater Not more than I was Soul Eater. It's pretty simple to see why, Soul Eater got caught up in its own seriousness and forgot to be fun.

The other downside was that a number of characters were only introduced after things got serious, so this will allow us to see a little bit of the other Meisters (Ox, Kim, Kilik) in a more relaxed setting that they didn't get in the parent story. The best parts of Soul Eater were always the less heavy portions of the story: BlackStar being a dumbass, Excalibur, Kid being a neurotic mess, and Maka and Soul bickering with her father or Blair.

Soul Eater Not even dives right away into ruining Tsugumi's dream of being fought over by meisters...so she gets two girls instead. Or the fact that the other weapon is real proud of himself at his transformation ability, but has to be grabbed by the back of his still human head.

Even the characters are fun. Tsugumi is supernaturally average, Anya is obsessed with getting into contact with commoners, and Meme is the airhead moron who is stupid enough to forget her own name. I suspect that Anya is quite a bit more weak willed that she appears from her backfired nonchalance tsundere tears, and Meme is probably not nearly as incapable as she seems. Tsugumi, being supernaturally average, is likely the moderating force, dragged into others' idiotic adventures.

Sure, the art is more doughy, but the stakes are pretty low here, that much is obvious.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 04-08-2014, 09:59 PM
I hope this gets cool eventually.

Soul Eater did get oppressively grim, but I hope this hits some kind of happy medium and isn't just some kind of yuri love triangle story.

It's weird, I think they've explained more about what Weapons are in one episode of this than Soul Eater did in it's entire series.

What does "gagantous" mean?

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-09-2014, 03:24 AM
Gagantous is a synonym for "gao", "uguu", and "Nyoro~n" but with more shock than disappointment.

From the reaction on the other character's faces, it's complete fabrication.

Archangel
Wed, 04-09-2014, 01:26 PM
This looked TERRIBLE! The story, characters and setting was already inferior but i thought they'd at least try to get the animation style from the previous show, this could NOT look more run of the mill average if it tried.

Maybe my expectations were just silly but i'm so disappointed it's not even funny.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 04-09-2014, 03:50 PM
It's true that Maka's little weapon demonstration was animated at, like, a fraction of the level it was in, say, the first episode of the original series.

It was just some DBZ blurry movement shit.

Archangel
Wed, 04-09-2014, 04:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GJLlxY6_3yo#t=276

This fight scene alone was on the higher level than the whole episode combined, i was hoping for but a sliver of this but there was none.

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-10-2014, 04:42 AM
It looks just like the manga, so I don't know what you're complaining about.

Right there in the title, Not Soul Eater. The manga has minimal if any backgrounds (unlike Soul Eater), has doughy faces, and less well-defined lines. That said, even the later Soul Eater manga isn't that much above. Same questionably defined faces, everything sort of

What's different? The atmosphere. Maka permanently scowling, Soul going crazy, etc. Here, those same characters are happy.

Not to mention that they're both written and drawn by the exact same person. He got lazier as time went on.

Xelbair
Thu, 04-10-2014, 10:14 AM
As ark said on IRC - it looks like K-ONified Soul Eater... i'll give it few eps to prove me wrong.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-10-2014, 10:29 AM
What's wrong with something being K-ONified? Cute is justice.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 04-10-2014, 11:11 AM
What's wrong with something being K-ONified?Nothing if that's your thing. It's just nothing I'd ever watch.

If it's just taking Soul Eater and dialing back some of the darker elements, that's fine. If it's essentially a completely different genre that just happens to be set in the same universe, I don't really see the point. You might as well have just made a new series.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-13-2014, 10:54 AM
I'm slightly disappointed. As per an above comment, I thought this would be more "cool", but a lower-key version of Soul Eater. I'll see how things go, but I sure hope the lore and everything works its way into the story. I'll admit that I didn't read Kraco's description before I watched the the first ep though.

I can sort of get why weapons would want to go to the academy to just live with their powers, but what point is there for the non-combative Meisters?

DarthEnderX
Sun, 04-13-2014, 12:25 PM
Oh god, I didn't read that description either. That sounds terrible.

I think it's a red herring though. Like that's what they're there for, but "things don't always go the way you planned". I mean, it looks like there's what looks to be a scorpion-themed witch in the intro, so there has to be some kind of conflict. Unless the witch just comes to school to spread mean rumors and steal boyfriends.

I can sort of get why weapons would want to go to the academy to just live with their powers, but what point is there for the non-combative Meisters?I didn't even know Maesters HAD powers without their weapons except for Black Star(from a clan of magic ninjas) and Kid(not human), so what are they learning to control exactly?

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Aren't all Meisters training for combat? They might just suck, and not get sent on many missions where they're more likely to die.

Don't forget that the entire purpose of the Academy is to create Death Scythes. The Meisters help the weapons obtain 99 or 100 souls and 1 witch's soul to become a weapon suitable for Death himself to use.

Who has been a "non-combat" Meister in the original series? Everyone fought, even Kim.

Kraco
Sun, 04-13-2014, 01:46 PM
I didn't even know Maesters HAD powers without their weapons except for Black Star(from a clan of magic ninjas) and Kid(not human), so what are they learning to control exactly?

Yeah, the original Soul Eater never really got into the whole meister thing. We know only a bunch of meisters who had anything special going for them: Black Star (basically a fighting machine who could beat unarmed all the other student meister+weapon teams, aside from Kid), Maka (unprecedented soul sensitivity), Stein (could alter his own soul wavelength to match anything), the internal affairs dude (same as Maka). Well, naturally Asura wasn't quite normal, either. And Sid was a fricking zombie.

All in all I think the meisters aren't normal either. There are some very basic requirements for a meister. Back when, in ep 5, the students went to "attack" Stein, we learned the meister pumps his soul wavelength into the weapon. It was compared to an electric guitar and an amplifier. Later we also learned the meister and weapon must match, otherwise it's hopeless (like Black Star and Soul). Furthermore, they must match really well for the resonance and the higher techniques. The group resonance is also up to the meisters.

So, no, I don't think just anybody could become a meister.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 04-13-2014, 02:34 PM
I just wish the series would take the time to explain it.

I wouldn't have even thought Maka was innately supernatural in any way, as all her abilities seem to just come from excessive talent, study, and training. Soul Eater is like if Hermoine was the star of the Harry Potter series.

Kraco
Sun, 04-13-2014, 04:23 PM
I just wish the series would take the time to explain it.

I wouldn't have even thought Maka was innately supernatural in any way, as all her abilities seem to just come from excessive talent, study, and training. Soul Eater is like if Hermoine was the star of the Harry Potter series.

It's a pity the anime chose an original ending. The characters kept developing very nicely and grandly all the way till the end. There would have been some really nice fights to see animated as well. May the Death God curse all anime original endings and feed their souls to the Death Scythe!

DarthEnderX
Sun, 04-13-2014, 08:11 PM
It's a pity the anime chose an original ending. The characters kept developing very nicely and grandly all the way till the end. There would have been some really nice fights to see animated as well. May the Death God curse all anime original endings and feed their souls to the Death Scythe!Yeah, now that the manga has ended, I would have expected them to just redo the original series like they did with FMA.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-14-2014, 05:33 AM
It's not that meisters don't have any powers, but that they should be able to live with their powers without going to some "how to live with yourself but not become a fighter" class. Until they show me that the princess unconsciously pumps her soul into everything she touches, ends up breaking stuff and therefore needs this class to get on with life.. they're just add-ons because the equivalently weak death-scythes need someone to work with.

@Ryll: according to the description, NOT is for those who need this training to live with their powers, not to fight.

Oh, talking about the princess I found it hilarious that she slapped both the meister and the weapon's face. xD

Kraco
Mon, 04-14-2014, 09:38 AM
@Ryll: according to the description, NOT is for those who need this training to live with their powers, not to fight.

I very much doubt that's the whole true. The description might be interpreted that way, but let's not forget that half of the people there turn into weapons literally and the other half are inborn fighters able to manifest spiritual powers most useful in fighting and hunting witches and other aberrations. And above all, the academy is for human weapons and weapon technicians. I'd say this NOT class is the reservist class while the EAT class is for those in more active duty.

For such people to live with their powers means to know how to use them in combat, plain and simple.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 04-14-2014, 11:17 AM
I think it's funny that NOT stands for Normally Overcome Target.

So basically it's the "usually gets defeated" class. :p

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-14-2014, 03:34 PM
They're junior varsity.

You're also working with weapons really lacking self-confidence or only now discovering what they are (something that is never really explained in the first place...). Tsugumi only found out she was a weapon last week. Contrast Tsubaki who knew she was a weapon...maybe even from birth? Or Liz and Patty who had already embraced it when Kidd found them.

As for the Meisters...from her dialogue I'd guess Anya ran away from home, and Meme is clearly an idiot.

Given that Weapons discover what they are at varying ages and Meisters have a change of heart in their current lot in life, there's always got to be a beginner class. It's just they also combine it with the washout class. DWMA recognizes that it's probably better to give them a decent level of control before they get cut, otherwise you end up with a Liz and Patty situation or worse, working for a witch.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-14-2014, 11:46 PM
Lot's of discussion about this, but is this really worth the time?

DarthEnderX
Tue, 04-15-2014, 12:25 AM
Well, we're only one episode in, so...I dunno?

Obviously it's getting more attention because of the series it's connected to.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-15-2014, 06:07 AM
Well, we're only one episode in, so...I dunno?

Obviously it's getting more attention because of the series it's connected to.

I think he means the "drop-out class" discussion isn't worth the attention, not so much the series itself.

It's worth exploring in my case just so I don't continue watching future episodes thinking that it's all based on some stupid idea.

Kraco
Tue, 04-15-2014, 07:15 AM
I think he means the "drop-out class" discussion isn't worth the attention, not so much the series itself.

The fact people of our calibre were discussing it makes it worth discussing. After all, in Soul Eater's world we would all be in the EAT class, so anything we discuss is of immense importance.

Or in other words, there's not yet that much else to talk about after a single episode.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 04-15-2014, 01:14 PM
After all, in Soul Eater's world we would all be in the EAT classI'm a Kishin!

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li46pe1m8I1qh4nf6o1_500.gif

DarthEnderX
Tue, 04-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Ep. 2

--------------------------------------------------

Gomu Gomu No Duuuuuuuh!

Deathbucks Coffee eh. Sounds...appetizing...

I wonder how they're going to eventually deal with the fact that they're two Maesters and only one Weapon.

Kraco
Wed, 04-16-2014, 02:39 AM
I wonder how they're going to eventually deal with the fact that they're two Maesters and only one Weapon.

Considering this is more slice of life and comedy than action, I'm not sure they ever need to deal with it. There might not be any longer or more serious campaigns in the NOT class requiring such a decision, even temporarily, let alone for good. I don't think they are lesbians, either, so I don't expect there to be pressure for Tsugumi to choose one to form such a couple like team as we had in the original Soul Eater (although Kid had a woman for both hands).

The whole two meisters, one weapon thing feels like a parody of the original show's two weapons, one meister teams anyway. We had a couple of those there.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 04-16-2014, 08:45 AM
The whole two meisters, one weapon thing feels like a parody of the original show's two weapons, one meister teams anyway. We had a couple of those there.Well sure, because people can wield two weapons. There aren't many weapons that can be wielded by two people. And a halberd isn't one of them.

Maybe if she was, like, a catapult or something. :p

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-16-2014, 03:55 PM
You're both operating under the assumption that the prevailing wisdom is correct. That only one Meister and Weapon can ideally harmonize their souls. We already know that two weapons are easily used if the weapons are twins (Pot of Fire and Pot of Thunder) as with Kilik, and Kidd and also works with the Thompson sisters.

But the Thompson Sisters alone are already a problem. PoF and PoT basically don't even have a personality, so we can assume they are identical in most aspects. But Patty and Liz are very different disposition wise. Liz is a scaredy-cat who is very serious, while Patty is a childish insane psychopath. Don't forget that Kidd only harmonizes with them because they appear as identical pistols.

So, it isn't hard to make the jump that a weapon can be used by two different Meisters if all of them are on the same wavelength. It's pretty obvious that despite their differences, the trio is already growing very close. They've even given one of them an out in terms of what to do when the other is using Tsugumi. Meme is an accomplished sleepy-master, and given what we've seen from Anya already, I imagine she is quite skilled with ladylike martial weapons (probably even has her own family martial art, as many rich ojou-sans of anime have).

Aside from that, I'm rather pleased we got to see something like dormitory life at DWMA (and it is equally overflowing with insanity). Maka and Soul (and Blair) always lived in their own apartment and we never saw anything else. BlackStar seemed homeless more often than not, and Kidd lived in the castle.

I'm also going to broach the topic since Kraco already hasn't (it was previously discussed in the channel).
Kim Diehl. The original anime never really went into any detail about Kim and Jackie (or Kilik for that matter). Soul Eater Not clearly assumes the viewers are aware of the information that was left out. Can we consider this information (of which I still have yet to detail) as an "Official Gotwoot Disclosure Non-Spoiler"?

DarthEnderX
Wed, 04-16-2014, 07:16 PM
So, it isn't hard to make the jump that a weapon can be used by two different Meisters if all of them are on the same wavelength.I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing the physical mechanics of two people trying to wield a single melee weapon.

I'm also going to broach the topic since Kraco already hasn't (it was previously discussed in the channel).
Kim Diehl. The original anime never really went into any detail about Kim and Jackie (or Kilik for that matter). Soul Eater Not clearly assumes the viewers are aware of the information that was left out. Can we consider this information (of which I still have yet to detail) as an "Official Gotwoot Disclosure Non-Spoiler"?Does whatever you're referring to come up in Not eventually? If so, might as well just wait till then.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 04-16-2014, 07:58 PM
I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing the physical mechanics of two people trying to wield a single melee weapon...
...at the same time.

Edited for clarity.

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Does whatever you're referring to come up in Not eventually? If so, might as well just wait till then.
That's part of the problem. It already has.

I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing the physical mechanics of two people trying to wield a single melee weapon.
Important part is the second part. The girls can very likely toss Tsugumi back and forth between them as needed during a pitched battle. Meme has shown that she can handle herself without a weapon, and I suspect Anya can protect herself as well.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 04-17-2014, 03:14 AM
That's part of the problem. It already has.Hmm. I dunno then. I'll just let the people who know about it decide if it's a spoiler or not. I don't expect there's going to be another Soul Eater anime anytime soon, if ever. So I'll just try not to get bent out of shape about it.

The girls can very likely toss Tsugumi back and forth between them as needed during a pitched battle.Alright. I suppose that could lead to some hilarious Jackie Chan-esque fight scenes.

I suspect Anya can protect herself as well.As do I, given that her itinerary as a princess included "Royal Karate". :p

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Honestly, tossing around a single weapon instead of wielding one each is... yeah.

Kraco
Fri, 04-18-2014, 02:44 AM
Honestly, tossing around a single weapon instead of wielding one each is... yeah.

There's a reason why we didn't see these guys during the campaign against Medusa, Arachnophobia, and Asura.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-18-2014, 02:46 AM
Tossing it back and forth is hardly ideal. Skill aside, you leave Tsumugi open for a steal. This latest episode didn't impress me at all. There are too many obvious "tropes" put in. (I try not to use that word, but I can't find any better expression right now). The keyword is obvious, however.

I'm watching this for the two guys. They're the only thing cool in this show right now.

Oh, and this is another show featuring the whole "pink highlights on every bit of rounded flesh" style again. >_>

DarthEnderX
Fri, 04-18-2014, 07:02 AM
There's a reason why we didn't see these guys during the campaign against Medusa, Arachnophobia, and Asura.Probably because they die at the end of this series!

At the very least, this series takes place before episode 2 of Soul Eater because Sid is still alive. It's hard to tell how long before it it actually takes place yet.

Kraco
Fri, 04-18-2014, 09:13 AM
At the very least, this series takes place before episode 2 of Soul Eater because Sid is still alive. It's hard to tell how long before it it actually takes place yet.

Kilik, Black Star, Tsubaki, Maka, and Soul didn't really seem overly much younger. Probably not really too long before the main series started.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 04-22-2014, 11:26 PM
[HorribleSubs] Soul Eater Not! - 03 - 480p (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=546266) | 720p (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=546267)

--------------------------------------------------

So was the Kim spoiler you guys were mentioning the fact that she's a Racoon Witch? Because if so, that's seems fairly obvious now.

Anyway, this is the first episode where there seems like things going on that are actually going to keep me watching this series.

There's some kind of evil antagonists. And those older students are apparently undercover in the NOT class for some reason. So there's things going on that aren't just girls dating each other but not really.

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-23-2014, 04:09 AM
Yes, the joke (which you likely missed last week) is that the witch of the dorms is an actual witch, but it is much more complicated than that, going into the details of what being a witch means. The first anime skipped that part and went right into an anime-original ending instead. Which still leaves a lot of details about Kim covered by the manga out (and assumed by the producers to have been read judging by the way this series has been going).

Equally interesting will be the way Kim and Jackie become friends. They're so hostile now, but in the other series, they're best friends and even wear matching uniforms. Currently, Jackie is stuck-up, prim and proper, and Kim is exceptionally lazy and evil.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 04-23-2014, 04:29 AM
Kinda disappointed in Anya's royal karate.

Currently, Jackie is stuck-up, prim and proper, and Kim is exceptionally lazy and evil.Oh come on, I wouldn't call her evil. She just charges for all her services is all. And I'm pretty sure she was like that in Soul Eater also.

Kraco
Wed, 04-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Yeah, it's hard to call her evil when she's just like Ox said: She's deliberately driving most people away from her to make sure nobody gets to know her well enough to guess the truth. Yet she still can't help but assist people, so she has to mask it under the business mentality, whenever she remembers to do it. I didn't actually remember she's not yet best buddies with Jackie in SE Not. So, she's really lonely, aside from the constant, unwanted approaches by Ox.

Now we are seeing some of the action I was trying to hint at in the first post. This is still Soul Eater and by the same author, so it would be overly strange to have no action, considering the original had really good action. But at the same time I guess it would be equally strange to have as much action considering this is supposed to be a non-fighting oriented class.

Kinda disappointed in Anya's royal karate.

Isn't she the kind of person who probably excelled in the dojo and could still quarrel at school premises with other students, but when shit really hits the fan out there, she's just a teenage girl? The 10% of the EAT class are exceptions. I think Maka (and the others) were probably already hunting twisted souls at this point, even if not yet witches.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 04-23-2014, 11:01 AM
So I figure, this series is either going to end with these characters getting moved up to the EAT class, or they're going to die horribly.

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-23-2014, 02:50 PM
The two host-like guys are apparently already supposed to be EAT, but are guarding Anya. At least that's what it seemed like, but now Sid seems to imply the two are working for him as bait to lure out this iridescent hair threat.

Any advancement of these three would appear to be almost entirely on Tsugumi's shoulders. Learning to transform effectively and quickly, learning her special ability, etc. Anya is irrevocably attached to her, and Meme is probably too scatterbrained to remember anyone else aside from her roommates.

Kraco
Wed, 04-23-2014, 03:42 PM
The two host-like guys are apparently already supposed to be EAT, but are guarding Anya. At least that's what it seemed like, but now Sid seems to imply the two are working for him as bait to lure out this iridescent hair threat.

I'd imagine everyone's a bait and those two are "demoted" to have more time to watch the streets and catch those Traitors who hunt the students. I reckon the reason why they didn't fight now was to avoid blowing their cover. It's true they seemed to be guarding the main girls, but it could also simply be because the girls took the part-time job and were thus hitting the common streets a lot, making them more likely targets for the villains.

It's easy to see why they would belong to EAT; I think there were much weaker guys around in the original series. Akane even emitted his soul like Black Star and Stein, which is apparently an advanced skill, or even a special talent.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 04-23-2014, 06:34 PM
I liked the bit about how certain people, like Soul Eater, take on codenames. Just another one of those little piece of world building the original series never bothered to fill in.

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Just another one of those little piece of world building the original series never bothered to fill in.
Uhh...it did.

Soul "Eater" Evans. They made a whole point of him breaking the connection to his family, being famous musicians. That's the significance of the piano scenes with the little demon, and why he hesitates to "play." Becoming a weapon gave him the excuse to get away from them.

He changed his name to get away from the association with his family.

Everyone in the series knew it wasn't his real name, and the school accepted it.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 04-24-2014, 09:59 AM
Hmm, I don't remember them ever saying he actually changed his name though, or that it was a common thing for DWMA students. I just thought his name was Soul Eater Evan cause, you know, stupid anime names.

Is BlackStar BlackStar's real name? Or is that a stage name too?

Kraco
Thu, 04-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Is BlackStar BlackStar's real name? Or is that a stage name too?

The clan was Star Clan and his father's name was White Star. So, yeah, it's most likely his real and only name.

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-24-2014, 03:34 PM
The star is actually in his official name too.

Black★Star
ブラック☆スター
黒☆星

DarthEnderX
Thu, 04-24-2014, 08:47 PM
The star is actually in his official name too.

Black★Star
ブラック☆スター
黒☆星I take it the ★ is silent.

Kraco
Tue, 04-29-2014, 05:09 PM
Episode 4 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=549014)

- -- - -- - ---- -

If I remember correctly, Black Star clocked below 6 seconds. This is like one of those classic cases where the branch family was stronger than the main family and eventually the discontent drove them to fell paths.

A pretty standard episode of Tsugumi feeling inadequate compared to her partners and everybody else (from her negative point of view). Still, I enjoyed watching the cafe scene of Akane playing with her. Even if he loses to Black Star in strength and battle prowess, he surely wins in everything else...

DarthEnderX
Wed, 04-30-2014, 12:03 AM
Gendo Pose!

That entire conversation with Clay was hilarious. I lost it at the sketch.

Kraco
Tue, 05-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Episode 5 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=551617)

- - -- - - -

Such a yuri episode. Kim and Jackie, and thus Kim's situation, were quite interesting in the original show as well, so I don't mind the background expanded here. Though it was still good to have a bit of the darker side as well. The three main girls' stunts are getting repetitive, so the show really benefits from other characters and a larger story. Kid, and the wacko pistol sisters, appearing next week should be jolly. Like I've said before, cameos from the main series really spice things up in this one.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 05-06-2014, 08:38 PM
This show is giving me diabetes!

They had me going with that intro though. I was all, "So THAT'S why Ox is having such a hard time!

...besides the fact that he looks stupid."

For a minute there I thought the scorpion witch was actually Eternal Feather. But their faces aren't the same.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 05-20-2014, 08:44 PM
[HorribleSubs] Soul Eater Not! - 07 - 480p (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=556506) | 720p (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=556508)

-----------------------------------------

Yeesh. That went south fast.

Kraco
Wed, 05-21-2014, 01:04 PM
I guess this is still Soul Eater, despite being NOT. Things can turn ugly fast, especially when witches are involved. Even Kim was quite nasty before Jacqueline tamed her (even if it was largely an act). In the original show even a squirt like Angela was rather wicked. Now we got another Gorgon sister, though, so evilness is assured.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 05-21-2014, 07:03 PM
Speaking of Gorgon sisters, have we seen Medusa yet? She's the nurse at this point isn't she?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-22-2014, 12:15 AM
Speaking of Gorgon sisters, have we seen Medusa yet? She's the nurse at this point isn't she?

We've seen Medusa, she's the nurse.

The main trio's still rather lackluster. EAT ftw.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 05-22-2014, 02:07 AM
I was kinda disappointed Maka couldn't do anything to stop Feather. She seemed to have plenty of time.

The main trio's still rather lackluster.I kinda wish they'd show their classes more.

I don't think they've shown them actually in class since their first day. And they don't seem to be learning anything so...

Ryllharu
Thu, 05-22-2014, 03:14 AM
Remember that the series takes place at least 6 months, maybe more, before the start of the regular series. Maka and Soul may not be as good at we're used to seeing them. She's good a twirling him around (really badly animated here), but not much more.

The two should be much faster than this, but they're not.

Kraco
Thu, 05-22-2014, 05:28 AM
Yeah, Maka and Soul developed a lot during just during the beginning of the main series, let alone towards the end. I'm sure they have actually hunted some twisted souls already in this series' time (because they had 98 when the main series launched), but it's totally different to try to stop somebody without causing any damage. Maka is also purely book smart, so if they haven't been taught how to restrain a berserk weapon, instead of liberating the soul for a weapon to eat (that is, kill), she can't do it.

We would have needed either Black Star or Kid here. Eternal Feather would have been down for the count in a second, without the need to even use a weapon.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 05-22-2014, 03:56 PM
We would have needed either Black Star or Kid here.I'm not sure what Kid would be able to do. This seems to take place before he ever started using Patty and Liz as weapons.

Kraco
Thu, 05-22-2014, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure what Kid would be able to do. This seems to take place before he ever started using Patty and Liz as weapons.

No, I'm pretty sure he already does, but those two are merely serving their time on the side, getting used to a civilized society instead of the shadier streets. I imagine he chose them when he saved them from NY or wherever it was. It's not like he would find twin guns easily to satisfy his obsession. Might be once in a lifetime chance. However, Kid wouldn't need them for something like this. He has the death god martial art, which makes him only second to Black Star.

Kraco
Tue, 05-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Episode 8 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=558916)

- -- -- - - - - -

This was the best episode so far, thanks to that fricking Stein. It's no wonder he was so deeply affected by the madness in the main story, considering he's so humorously crazy to begin with. A minor good scene was Soul trying to make Akane leak some info so he could go hunting with Maka.

If I recall correctly, Sid was recently risen in the beginning of the main story. I wonder if he's going to die due to this witch incident. I can't recall if they told who killed him or why.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 05-27-2014, 10:54 PM
If I recall correctly, Sid was recently risen in the beginning of the main story. I wonder if he's going to die due to this witch incident. I can't recall if they told who killed him or why.I distinctly remember him being alive in the beginning of Soul Eater, and then in the episode where Maka and Soul tried to bring Stein to the school was the first time Cid showed up as a zombie.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-28-2014, 07:08 AM
I distinctly remember him being alive in the beginning of Soul Eater, and then in the episode where Maka and Soul tried to bring Stein to the school was the first time Cid showed up as a zombie.

Sid died while protecting the bunch, from memory.

Kraco
Wed, 05-28-2014, 11:46 AM
I distinctly remember him being alive in the beginning of Soul Eater, and then in the episode where Maka and Soul tried to bring Stein to the school was the first time Cid showed up as a zombie.

Sid died while protecting the bunch, from memory.

Hmm... I went through the volume 1 of the manga, and the first time Sid was mentioned, he was told to have died. However, in the anime episode 3 he did appear in the company of Soul and Black Star in an insert scene right in the middle of Kid's intro arc. Unless I really missed something in the manga, I'd say Sid being alive in the beginning of the original show was anime original material, and thus potentially could be rendered null by this manga. In any case the old anime wasn't canon due to the original, premature ending, so it'd hardly matter.

Kraco
Tue, 06-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Episode 10 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=563470)

- - - - - - - -

Hohumm... They aren't certainly fooling around anymore. This was about as dark as anything in the original. I'm glad this didn't give a shit about the old show, probably, and Sid died now, in a pretty grand fashion. Probably because I guess theoretically we could be now past the original series starting point. But if that was the case, things should be changing a lot soon. In any case we are near since it's not like Sid would have been dead for that long before Maka, Soul, Black Star and Tsubaki went after him, I believe. It's quite interesting that whatever is going to happen with this Gorgon didn't really spread much seeing how it affected nothing in the original story (in other words it didn't grow to be too cool or big to change Soul & Black Star). At the same time you can see these folks hadn't yet faced a Gorgon before; they were underestimating the threat so catastrophically.

Looks like Clay & Akane really were around to protect Anya. And work for Sid at the same time. Just another oversight when facing a Gorgon, as if they could have afforded to split roles like that.

Needless to say, this stuff is getting far more interesting and solid as a story than the early episodes made me believe (or the equivalent beginning of the manga). I hope everything won't simply be solved in a goofy and cheap manner to return this to slice-of-life (although the show is ending in two eps, so I guess one can't expect too much anymore).

DarthEnderX
Tue, 06-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Hmm, I remember just recently thinking "Man, if her forgetfulness wasn't being played up as a comedy trope, there's no way someone like this would even be allowed in this school. She's essentially retarded, and that'd be dangerous as hell to give someone like that a Weapon."

Turns out it's all part of the plot.

But, I guess now we know how Cid died.

Probably because, you know, he didn't have a Weapon for some inexplicable reason.

This was about as dark as anything in the original.No, not even close. This was just a guy dying in a fight. A lot of the insanity stuff in the original was way worse.

Kraco
Wed, 06-11-2014, 03:10 AM
No, not even close. This was just a guy dying in a fight. A lot of the insanity stuff in the original was way worse.

Well, that's just my opinion after having read the whole original manga, in addition to watching the anime. Basically here we had one of the main characters, established through 9 previous episodes, turn into a traitor against her will and finally murder another established character in a pretty gruesome manner. There was no justice in sight either, considering the main villain. Add to that the fact these girls were of the NOT class, meaning they weren't meant to face dangerous opponents in the first place. Unlike the EAT class students who pretty much have signed their approval of deadly missions.

The only comparable situation in the original was Chrona, but we knew all the time she was under such circumstances. It never got this bad anyway.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 06-11-2014, 08:05 AM
I dunno, I'd rather watch Sid getting killed again than watch Chrona being forced to murder animals.

Kraco
Wed, 06-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Episode 11 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=565591)

- - - - - - -

I'm quite happy Stein was given such a big role in this show. Especially his funnier side, which was overshadowed by the insanity in the original series. Comparing how he treats these NOT student to the kind of treatment Maka & Co initially got is interesting as well. The contrast serves to highlight the difference between EAT and NOT, now in retrospect (because that's all the spect that exists considering this whole NOT only appeared with this spinoff). Maka and Black Star's performance was quite pitiful in this episode, though. Maka aside, Black Star should have been sending folks to hospital left and right. Since when did he care what sort of motivation his opponents had? He was always beating mercilessly other students (even Maka included), just like the first ep of this very show demonstrated.

Very traditional plot progress all in all. It was clear from the beginning Anya would never leave, but I didn't expect Clay and Akane to push it so far before letting her go. But I suppose that's believable in a sense: Ignoring the airhead Clay, Akane might be trying to play by the book and follow orders dutifully to mitigate Star Clan's bad rep.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 06-18-2014, 04:00 PM
I'm kind of annoyed that a series would have a battle tournament, and not show any of it.

I realize none of this series' characters were even in it, but it wounds me on a primal level.

Kraco
Tue, 07-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Episode 12 Final - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=570218)

- - - - - - -

I was afraid it would end like this just for the sake of the main characters, and not in a way that would make more sense. While it was a good call in my opinion to make the main antagonist a Gorgon witch to make the high power more plausible and also make her feel less like out of nowhere, it also means far too cheap to have her defeated by these NOT amateurs. Considering how much trouble witches, let alone Gorgon ones, were in the original story, with the super genius Stein and Shinigami's own scythe barely able to seemingly defeat Medusa, this feels like nothing but stupid. Since it was clear and established from the beginning these girls belong to the NOT class, I don't see a single reason why the story had to insist on making them alone defeat the witch. It would have been far better to have some experienced fighters there (plenty of them around in Death City) and perhaps have the girls perform a distraction at a crucial moment in the fight, creating an opening.

Since half the reason I watched this show were the cameos by the original characters, it's a pity they got nothing cool to do in this last battle. As far as I can judge, Maka and Black Star never moved anywhere, for example, and didn't really get anything done either. Why where they even shown at all?

This show didn't turn out too remarkable. It had some jolly good comedy, mainly by Stein, but that's it.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-01-2014, 11:19 PM
I want one of those Death Hoodies!

Other than that, Anya should really take up miniskirts.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 07-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Of COURSE the resolution would require some making out fanservice.

Since half the reason I watched this show were the cameos by the original characters, it's a pity they got nothing cool to do in this last battle. As far as I can judge, Maka and Black Star never moved anywhere, for example, and didn't really get anything done either. Why where they even shown at all?For the reason you just stated. To get people like you and me to watch it.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Honestly, I was most disappointed by the fact that Tsugumi didn't eat the witch's soul. Out of order sure, but it was still her first reaped soul.

Not to mention it would be safer devoured than floating about like a balloon, ready to possess someone else like we've seen a Gorgon sister do.

Kraco
Sun, 07-06-2014, 10:26 AM
Honestly, I was most disappointed by the fact that Tsugumi didn't eat the witch's soul. Out of order sure, but it was still her first reaped soul.

I was wondering about the same thing, but it's possible the NOT class hasn't even be taught about eating souls. We do know people who keep eating the souls of ordinary humans will start to turn into kishin. So, it's probably wise not to give them any ideas. They are weak, and thus could be easily influenced or tempted, out of fear, greed, or whatever motivation. The witch soul apparently should grant a power boost as well, and Tsugumi would be better off training herself first in a regular manner, only later turning on the turbo.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 07-06-2014, 07:18 PM
I thought doing it out of order was supposed to be bad for them or something.

Chances are, eating the 99 human souls makes the Weapon stronger, and if you try and eat a witch soul without strengthening yourself first it might be harmful, or worse, turn you evil or something.