PDA

View Full Version : Spring Season 2014: Early Impressions

MFauli
Sun, 04-06-2014, 10:09 AM
Alright, donīt know if you guys will like this idea, but I encountered the problem of not knowing a) where to post my immediate feedback for new anime that I didnt like enough to create a new topic for an b) where to read about those first impressions by other people. So, this thread is supposed to be for exactly that.

In here, post your early impressions about a newly released anime-series, be that after one or more episodes. This might be incredibly helpful for other people to decide on which new series to give a chance or a closer look. It often happened in the past that there was no thread for an anime, but when I made one, people would stark talking about that anime. So I think a lot of us feel like creating a new thread is sometimes too much. By seeing the early feedback in here, one could estimate if there is proper need for a thread.

Anyway, Iīm about to watch several "episode 1s" in some minutes. Will post my feedback then. Hope to see others posting in here.

MFauli
Sun, 04-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Baby Steps - Episode 1:

I expected as much after reading its synopsis, but thatīs a keeper. Will definitely keep watching this anime. The animation is well done and the focus seems to lie on the actual sports and not some side drama. Ei-chan is an interesting choice for a protagonist. Unlike Ryoma from Prince of Tennis, heīs a total beginner. However, his analytic nature helps him understand the game and his opponents. Itīs actually not too different from your typical hero, but here weīre giving a proper explanation for why he can figure out weaknesses and stuff.

Looking forward to his first real match.

Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro - Episode 1:

Dropped after like five minutes. Just canīt get into this very traditional, old-fashioned artstyle and animation, as well as the sound sounding old, too, if that makes any sense. No judging the story here, but when the visuals are such a turn-off, I cannot force myself to watch it any further. Same happened with Kill La Kill last season.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou - episode 1:

That was fun. Generic setting, rather generic characters, but the whole package was simply enjoyable to watch. The humor is goofy, but not so much that it destroys immersion. Cant say from this episode if thereīs gonna be a real plot or just some events to present comedic scenes. Either way, will watch episode 2.

Daimidaler - episode 1:

Fast forwarded most of this. Might give it one more try for the breas fondling-scene alone. Rest was garbage lol

La Corda d'Oro Blue-sky - episode 1:

Not sure about this one. The most-off putting aspect is the shoujo-like character design. Very feminine, tall males, colorful hair, big eyes. Opposite to that is the shounen-esque story-setup of an orchestra-competition. Generelly rather cheap production value. Might keep watching if Iīm bored enough. Definitely lacks anything special, yet, though.

Seikoku no Dragonar - episode 1:

Dropped. Couldnīt even finish one episode. Everything about this feels generic, and the fan-service pandering was too much for the otherwise rather serious tone.

Haikyuu!! - episode 1:

Yay, seems you can bet on sports anime. Havenīt watched a volleyball-anime ever since Mila Superstar. The main characterīs design looks too childish for my liking, but otherwise itīs a fun series. No surprises in terms of plot, itīs about volleyball after all, but thatīs okay. Will keep watching.

David75
Sun, 04-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Haikyuu

It's about a 15 years old guy who's a tad short but loves volleyball.

I was a surprised. Volleyball and redhead-> Attacker You!
Yup, I'm that generation... so the link was instantaneous. Even more so that I did play volleyball from 12 to 24 because/thanks to Attacker You!

The ep in itself was pretty generic in the motivations and the way everything was presented.
But I was sold on a single scene, when the setter misses his pass and the redhead zipps from one side to the other and spikes, even if outside. They used a very simple visual trick that totally did it and the thing felt quite realistic if you forget the distance and time would not make it possible... What was realistic is the true will/reflexes to try and save that ball regardless of the outcome.

I do not expect much from the show afterwards, but I liked those 5 seconds and probably the will to never give up.

One Week/Isshukan Friends
Well, the synopsis/basis for the story is not really believable/good to me.
But even if the art was average, somehow I liked the atmosphere/OST/VAs enough to try and watch another ep.

Brynhildr in the Darkness
Well, strange title, It was watchable. I will give it more eps, I might watch it till the end even if the biotech enhanced (clone?) witch did put me off a little.

Baby Steps
Well, I might stop after ep 2. For some reason I can't understand that blone girl faces. Strange reaction for an anime right?

La Corda d'Oro Blue-sky
Anime about Classical Music, feels too much of a shounen maybe. It did not move me enough to be interrested.

... Matsutaro ...
A little like Fauli. But what irked me more is that it felt like there was no progression for the full ep.

Captain Earth
Droped. That mech transformation had to be the most useless and cumbersome idea I've ever seen and felt I was losing my precious time I would better have spent being bored to death.

Kamigami no Asobi
Well, Otome?, droped.

Seikoku no Dragonar
Felt very generic, no features I would like, will probably drop it.

Daimidaler
Horrible art, no story, horrible mecha, useless MC and useless side character. I really hated watching that. Felt like Samuraï Flamenco at its worse...

Kindaichi...
Well, it's not my thing and that kind of retro art is not to my liking.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Said it before (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php/22858-Upcoming-Anime-Spring-2014?p=540076&viewfull=1#post540076), will say it again. You guys have bad taste.

Seikoku no Dragonar - The art is terrible. That I can agree to. But the setting and premise itself is interesting. Overall the series has good designs in terms of characters, uniforms, even the dragons and guns. Aesthetically, it reminds me a lot of Scrapped Princess (which is a fantastic thing), but holy shit the production company sucks. 2003 art. I can get past the bad art, I've been watching anime long enough. The plot overall is pretty focused, and it's a classic fantasy series. The MC being a hotheaded asshole about his shortcomings instead of a whiny loser is reason enough to give it more episodes.

Daimidaler - Obviously both of you missed the point. This is 80s or 90s mecha, updated. They fit the profile of sentai/rider series all the way, from the dumbass minions to the shitty looking robots. Then they simply mess with it further. The "good" robot destroys a portion of the city every time it launches. It does just as much, if not more damage to nearby buildings as the "bad" robots do while they fight. The MC, who gets off on molesting girls, adamantly refuses to dress in a modern uniform, preferring to wear the gakuran (popular in the 90s, rare now). As a bonus, the agent is trying to find someone who produces Pervert Particles, and dresses like a slut without realizing it. The bad guys are ridiculously polite...and they also have the "front tail."

Captain Earth - The giant robot has a pirate captain hat.
(a) That's awesome.
(b) I know I don't have to take the series too seriously.
The first episode was basically 90% techno-babble, but the premise they've got is strong. You have some ridiculous base on the backside of the moon, trying to destroy earth, so the plan is to intercept it. There's rockets, there's giant robots, there's dark-skinned beauties, good aliens, a whole bunch of weird shit going on. The sentiment I got out of it was "Fuck it, I'll save the world since you are too lazy."
Also, David, it's cheaper to assemble the robot in space. Most of the fuel is expended just getting into LEO (where the rest of the parts have already been launched piece by piece). As they are intercepting the enemy, the pilot in the one who needs to go back and forth (ideally just stay up there), not the whole robot.

Brynhildr in the Darkness - This on the other hand, was dull as shit. It spent more time going in random directions than Daimidaler. As David mentioned, it's easy to stay on board until they end with "plenty of surgeries and injections." Maybe it is a semi-popular manga, but they would have better spent money adapting Nononono (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=19209) (same author). This is just a rehash of Elfen Lied really (yes, that actually is a bad thing...read the manga to see why if you disagree).

David75
Sun, 04-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Regarding Captain earth, I'm ok with the weight problem. Just the sequence that is pretty absurb, involving lots of ships in a cumbersome alignment and so on...

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-06-2014, 05:29 PM
I thought it was very R-Type, and loved it, but to each their own.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 04-06-2014, 09:00 PM
My early impression is that there's new Jojo and Fairy Tail and that's awesome.

The end.

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-07-2014, 03:16 AM
Update on Dragonar:
Apparently Funimation censors their version (they cut out an entire 2 minute scene from even the broadcast version), plus they have really shitty raw quality (obviously lower, and not just HS's fault).

The AT-X version doesn't look nearly as bad, though it is still not great. I'd put it at 2010 art now. If you are going to watch it, watch the FFF version.

Kraco
Mon, 04-07-2014, 08:57 AM
Update on Dragonar:
Apparently Funimation censors their version (they cut out an entire 2 minute scene from even the broadcast version), plus they have really shitty raw quality (obviously lower, and not just HS's fault).

The AT-X version doesn't look nearly as bad, though it is still not great. I'd put it at 2010 art now. If you are going to watch it, watch the FFF version.

I only watched FFF and I can imagine what Sadimation might have cut.

Other than that, the show gave me heavily similar vibes to Machine-Doll a couple of seasons ago. I managed to watch that show till the end, however much a struggle as it sometimes was, so I imagine I can give Dragonar a chance as well. I didn't hate it based on the first ep, at the very least, though it certainly was nothing to write blogs about.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-07-2014, 10:08 AM
The machine doll comparison is quite accurate. Both are adapted from shounen light novels, so the formula is very similar.

David75
Mon, 04-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Dropped within the first 60 seconds:
Oreca Battle
Hero Bank
Dragon Collection

These are 3 anime for the 6-10 male age group, with card games or pokemon clones.

Last time I forgot Selector Infected WIXOSS... droped.
Title is lame, demographic is similar to the 3 others except it's for slightly older girls.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-07-2014, 02:30 PM
I think the preview pics for those 3 should have told you they are kid's anime.

I'm really surprised no one is talking about Mahouka, positive or negative.

Brynhildr gets better as the story develops. More cute girls, and a genius protagonist. That, and lots of violence and gore. It is really similar to Elfen Lied except the protagonist is intelligent and brave, so if you liked that, you will likely like this as well.

David75
Mon, 04-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Well, Ryll started a thread for Mahouka. Trying to advertise a little?

Regarding the 3 anime I mentioned earlier, well I download and try to watch every new anime without reading any synopsis. Seems like I sometimes can be surprised and watch a show I'd have rejected after reading the synopsis.

Other anime I forgot to mention

Blade and Soul
Well, some nice animations, but the setting and story is not my cup of coffee. MC feels too lifeless for my tastes.

Majin Bone
I did enjoy that first ep a little, even if the CGI sucks big time. Strange character art, feels early 90s maybe?

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Indeed, my understanding was MFauli made this thread for those series that no one bothered to make a thread for, without going too deep into the series. I imagine limited to the 3 episode test.

Since I already made a thread for it, discussion here is not necessary.

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-08-2014, 03:56 AM
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to - Unfortunately, same thing that happened with the manga happened with the anime. The humor just doesn't click for me. I get the jokes, but they're just not funny. I might give it another episode, but I suspect I'll drop it.

Kanojo ga Flag o Oraretara - I like the idea, and I enjoyed the personality of the two leads, but the character design is disgusting. Really and truly awful. The girls look like Strawberry Shortcake, and the boy designs are simply dated. All the skirts curled upward so the edges are perpendicular to the ground on girls who all look 12 is just gross. What (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=character&charid=58079) the (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=character&charid=58077) fuck (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=character&charid=65248). I'm going to struggle to not drop this one, because I do like the concept.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-08-2014, 09:02 AM
The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior - This I feel might be the dark horse this season. Shounen high school dormitory romance with nice art. I really like how the female lead has short hair and is pretty quiet. I miss those types. (Nagato ftw!)

David75
Tue, 04-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Oh. Bokura wa Minna Kawaïso?
Forgot to talk about that one. Well, a little over the top, some fun. Wating for more.

Mangagaka to Ashisu-san
Short format is a reason for drop. These are like 60seconds themes that follow one another, mostly on virgin male urges for that first ep.
I usually like that kind of humor, but for some reason it wasn't conveyed all that well.
Ashisu-san was very pleasing in some scenes.
I'm not sure I'll try next ep.

Kraco
Tue, 04-08-2014, 03:58 PM
The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior - This I feel might be the dark horse this season. Shounen high school dormitory romance with nice art. I really like how the female lead has short hair and is pretty quiet. I miss those types. (Nagato ftw!)

The main character was a bit strange mix of wishy-washy and decent, and after the first ep I can't really say if I like his character, which would obviously be something crucial for a show like this. I guess I'll have to watch an ep or two more to decide. At least I wish he would once or twice kick the pervert roommate's ass - although that might just be a service for the heavy M...

The show reminded me of Mahoraba for a few reasons.

MFauli
Thu, 04-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Ping Pong: The Animation:

Man, bad art and terrible animation try their hardest to turn me off, but the actual plot, characters and atmosphere is really nice. Why cant we have a well-done table tennis anime in the vain of Prince of Tennis? :(
Still, this is a keeper for now. Although Wenge is giving Megane-kun too much credit, having not even played him. And lol @ them picturing their play just by listening from afar. haha.

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Fuuun Ishin Dai Shougun - I'm absolutely certain they are quite embarrassed that their fully-rendered storyboards were forwarded to the broadcasters in lieu of the full episode. That they managed to have enough time to animate one or two things per shot as damage control once the stations notified them of the error is quite the feat.

There are a lot of common things in Edo Era anime. Ninja, prostitutes, corrupt officials, idiot police, someone is secretly the next emperor or shogun, and Japan was the greatest nation in the world then. Guess what? This one hits each and every one of those in the same episode.

It really is too bad they neglected to animate it at all. The ninja is pretty hot at least.

David75
Fri, 04-11-2014, 01:46 AM
Ping Pong: The Animation
I agree, that dirty art/animation design from the 80-90s is truly awful, why would they even copy that?
Then, being able to withstand that, the ep felt particularly generic/usual in its plot and key scenes for a sports anime.
Doesn't mean it's a bad thing, but no surprises here.

Fuuun Ishin Dai Shougun
Droped, too much text written here.

Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin
With the opening and all, I though to myself I would not like it, but it's your nice and usual "I have an unusual girlfriend" kind of anime. Seems like it might be fun, with some light mysteries and everydaylife quest, with a major plot in finding the girl's murderer.

Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka
Pre-purberty girls pedos are welcome here. And I'm ashamed to tell I liked the humor and atmosphere of that first ep. If only for that gun/soldier little girl.

Akuma no Riddle
Felt like they used some ideas from Danganronpa in have a assassins class or something. I can't tell if I hated it or not. I might
even watch ep 2 eventhough this feels like an all female are supreme beings show.

No Game No Life
Well, a strange one, might keep watching if the rules/games are not too tiring and/or repetitive.

Hitsugi no Chaika
MC heroïne is too tiring with her way of speaking. Also her long range gun used as an all magical purpose tool really is a dumb as hell idea because it wouldn't even work as a good dildo...

Soul Eater Not!
Everyday highscool life at death city Highschool? Why not.

Black Bullet
Zombie monsters transforming from human bodies because of a very complex and quick DNA virus that is extremely contagious.
Then lolicon girls that host the virus from before birth and can use its potential to fight against said monster, but with the catch they can turn to monster themselves...
Well no thanks.

Kanojo ga Flag o Oraretara
It was nice for a first ep, I just hope it doesn't get too tiring by overusing the same ideas again and again.

Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san
Had good laughs. Terrible thing is that it's a 3 minute anime, why? but Why?

Knights of Sidonia
Human life forms on a ship/planetoïd wandering in space.
They have an ecosystem that recycle bodies.
They changed their DNA to have a third sex that can change according to the party they choose for mating.
They seem to have clones, lots of them.
They are somewhat self-sufficient and can survive if they find water and other elements in probably quite long time intervals.
They have fighting mechs and fight against fully organic enemy that can live in space and have tentacles...
They had no fights in 100 years. Come our male MC that seems to be the heir to a hero fighter and should prove the only one to be able to hold his own against the enemy, but only in a frame from 100 years ago.
Also, that show is probably 100% CGI, same kind used in that submarine/armore ship from last year.

The main events from first ep were totally predictable. No surprise at all.

MFauli
Mon, 04-14-2014, 01:57 AM
One Week Friends:

The setup seems extremely contrieved. Losing her memory every monday? Makes no sense. Adam Sandler did it better in 50 First Dates.

Not a must-watch, but I might end up watching it if im super-bored.

And yeah, this girl is like the perfect victim for domestic abuse. :/

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-14-2014, 07:28 AM
Black Bullet
Then lolicon girls that host the virus from before birth and can use its potential to fight against said monster, but with the catch they can turn to monster themselves...

They are lolis, not lolicons.

MasterOfMoogles
Tue, 04-15-2014, 12:19 AM
In alphabetical order!

Abarenbou Kishi!! Matsutarou (Rowdy Sumo) - 2 episodes - Dropped - F
Worst main character ever? I just can't stand this guy to keep watching. He is a terrible person with no redeeming qualities. Even if he gets better, I imagine I'll still hate him.

Akuma no Riddle - 2 episodes - B
The plot doesn't really make any sense, but I'm all for mysterious murder games and the characters are interesting enough.

Atelier - not watched yet - expected D

Baby Steps - 2 episodes - B
A refreshing spin on the typical shounen sports anime with a not-hot-blooded protagonist.

Black Bullet - 1 episode - B
Interesting world (if not hilariously reminiscent of Attack on Titan) and fun characters. We'll see where it goes.

Blade and Soul - 2 episodes - B
I was expecting this to be terrible, but it is actually competent and the over-the-top action scenes are great. I look forward to more people dying in ridiculous ways.

Bokura Minna KawaiSou - 2 episodes - D
I'm not digging this so far, pretty boring with some stereotypical characters.
The MC is totally forgettable.
Also, isn't "kawaisou" an adjective meaning "pitiful" or something? Or maybe it is just something sounding similar.

Captain Earth - 2 episodes - D
I can't believe they're spending so much money on this and it is so bad and full of nonsense.
Between the techno-babble and ridiculous launching sequence that doesn't make any sense and isn't even that cool, I'm pretty disappointed in Bones. Star Driver was at least enjoyable for the ridiculous-factor, whereas this is not.

Date a Live 2 - not watched - expected C
First season was meh, but I like the premise of live dating sim with command center. We'll see if it continues to amuse.

Fuun Ishin Dai Shogun - 1 episode - D
The animation... is there animation? I feel like there is art and they move it around on the screen, but I don't know that I would call it animation. I'm sticking around for at least another because of the voice actors.

Gochumon wa Usagi Desu Ka? - 1 episode - C-
I have nothing against cute girls doing random things, but please try to keep it interesting.

Gokukoku no Brynhildr - 2 episodes - B-
After episode 2, I'm starting to get pretty interested in the plot. We'll see where it goes. I feel like the OP is super spoilery though.

Haikyuu!! - 2 episodes - D
Typical sports shounen hot-blooded characters. I'm sticking around until the practice game in episode 3 and if that isn't good, I'm done.

Hitsugi no Chaika - 1 episode - B+
Poor Chaika and her broken speech. Her awesome rifle and the coffin antics were pretty great. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san - 1 episode - Dropped - F
Even though it was a 3 minute show, I stopped to look how much longer was left 2 minutes in because it was so bad.

Isshukan Friends (1 week friends) - 2 episodes - B
I've read 10 chapters of the manga, and the anime has been pretty faithful so far. I wouldn't expect this to really go anywhere, but it is a nice slice-of-life/happy show. Her memory disorder is also pretty freaking ridiculous/convenient.

Jojo - Stardust Crusaders - 2 episodes - A+
JoJo! JoJo! If only the OP were as good as the original. That's pretty much my only complaint so far.

Kanojo ga Flag - 1 episode - C
Harem incoming? The MC has an interesting power (though it doesn't make much sense) so we'll see where it goes.

Love Live! 2 - 1 episode - C
It is Love Live. You're either in or out at this point. Episode 1 being all about stupid emo-nonsense was lame.

M3 ~Sono Kuroki Hagane~ - unwatched - expecting B/C?
No idea about this, but looking forward to checking it out.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - 2 episodes - C
Magic school isn't very interesting yet. Some weird bro-con vibes and a pretty tropey gary-stu MC. I'll stick around to see what happens though.

Majin Bone - 2 episodes D
This show is bad, I'll start there. I'm mainly watching for the lulz, but it might be better to wait for the English dub in that case.

Mangagaka-san to Assistant-san - 1 episode - B+
I read the whole manga and really liked it for its silliness and silly characters. I'm actually really disappointed this is only 12-ish minute episodes.

Mekakucity Actors - not watched yet - expecting A-/B+
Bring it, SHAFT.

No Game No Life - 1 episode B+
So far so good, if they keep building on what they have it should be very interesting.

Ping Pong - not watched yet - expecting D

Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin (Nanana's Buried Treasure) - 1 episode - B+
I like the art/animation so far. Nanana is an interesting character. Lots of potential plot threads dropped in just episode 1. We'll see if they can deliver.

Seikoku no Dragonar - 2 episodes - D
Pretty awful. Not sure why I'm still watching. Maybe we'll have more tsundere girl.

Selector Infected WIXOSS - 2 episodes - C
I'm waiting for some horrible revelation as to what happens when you lose 3 times. Hopefully they can deliver.

Sidonia no Kishi - not watched yet - expecting C

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii - 2 episodes - B+
Super fast pacing so far! I like Nike a lot, and am interested in seeing how she affects this setting.

Soul Eater Not! - 1 episode - C-
Soul Eater was okay (I'd rate maybe a C or C+ overall). Not has less interesting characters. Can it go anywhere?

Leftovers:
Nisekoi - current - A
SHAFT is doing great on this show. It is typical harem to a T, but very well executed.

Nobunaga The Fool - current - C
I'm in it for the voice actors. Gogo Miyano Mamoru! Tomokazu Sugita is always great, too.

Man, that is a lot of shows. Hoping to drop a few more soon-ish. I'm not even going to watch the other kid shows or otome shows.

Kraco
Tue, 04-15-2014, 02:05 AM
Atelier - not watched yet - expected D

I watched the first episode and will try to keep watching, though I can't yet say if it can maintain my interest. It feels like standing behind somebody playing a game and watching it over his shoulder. All in all this is thus very similar to Shining Hearts - Shiawase no Pan or Shukufuku no Campanella. Like I said in the season preview thread, I only wanted to see what Ateliers are like as I've never owned a PS and thus have been unable to play them (even if I wanted).

Very generic fantasy RPG setting and characters. I don't really even know what sort of games Ateliers are (aside from the extremely cute graphical designs), but I find it a bit hard to expect any dirty tactics or backstabbing to happen in this story.

MFauli
Tue, 04-15-2014, 03:08 AM
Since most seem to be done with their first looks:

Can somebody point me to the "serious, quality animation anime" of this season? No sequels included. I need something quality like Shin Sekai Yori or Shingeki no Kyojin. What should I go for?

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-15-2014, 03:23 AM
Can somebody point me to the "serious, quality animation anime" of this season? No sequels included. I need something quality like Shin Sekai Yori or Shingeki no Kyojin. What should I go for?
Based on the 1 or 2 episodes that have aired...Kenzen Robo Daimidaler.

It has a depth and subversive quality that is unmatched by any other series this season. It is also able to transcend the medium a little bit in its second episode by using its shit website (http://www.penguin-empire.com/).

edit:
Honestly it is way to early to make that kind of assessment. A number of series haven't even had a second episode. I can also safely say that there isn't a series like that this season, especially like the former.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-15-2014, 07:43 AM
Mahouka.

MasterOfMoogles
Tue, 04-15-2014, 11:29 PM
I think it is a little too early to say if any of these shows will really be keepers. I ended up not rating anything A.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 04-16-2014, 07:04 AM
It would be amazing if you can rate shows A after the first or second episodes. Anime has a general tendency to taper off as it progresses, and first episodes more often than not fail to represent the rest of the content.

The reverse can also be true. Some start out really slow or generic, but get better as it moves along.

Kraco
Fri, 05-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Knights of Sidonia wasn't as bad as I expected. It feels like a mix between Gargantia (if it had stayed in space) and Macross, though of lesser quality compared to both. Like David said, so far it has been terribly predictable. The military side gives me a headache, nearly everybody's so naive and unprofessional, but I can forgive it a little considering they hadn't seen any fighting for a full century and on the other hand they are so poor and ragged, lacking resources that they can hardly be blamed for not being full of pure Prussian militaristic spirit. However, the show's not all bad otherwise. I've quite liked how the main character is so out of everything.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-09-2014, 10:23 PM
I was really looking forward to Sidonia, but then I get that crappy art style. I've been hit by Arpeggio already then this happens.

David75
Sat, 05-10-2014, 12:13 AM
I'm still following whatching that too.
I admit that if you can bear the almost monochrome and pure CGI art style, well there's something to that show.
The animation feels easy to read/understand even in fast moving scenes.
Anybody can die, easily.
That female commander does not hesitate to take the right decisions, regardless of the costs.

Kraco
Sat, 05-10-2014, 03:01 AM
Anybody can die, easily.

Still too early to say. For all we know, the people who died so far might have been destined to die from the beginning for the sake of creating such an atmosphere. But will central character keep dying through the whole show? Too early to say yet.

That female commander does not hesitate to take the right decisions, regardless of the costs.

Are they really the right decisions? They seem a bit dubious to me. Her decisions are conservative, yet disregard any lives lost. If she doesn't care about the death toll, she might as well accept some more sensible risks. But it's true she doesn't hesitate, which is always good for a military commander.

MFauli
Sat, 05-10-2014, 07:02 AM
I still cant get over just how shitty Ping Pong The Animation looks. Bad art, bad animation. No saving grave. And it sucks, because both plot and characters are to my liking, very down to earth, realistically portrayed. Although last episode was too cruel, when Tsukimoto told glasses-guy "youīre just not talented to play ping pong". Wow. Thatīs kind of a crappy message to send the audience. No, donīt even try, without talent youīre fated to be a loser. Ugh. Makes me hope that thereīll be another player on Tsukimotoīs level that is all about hard working and such, proving that you can overcome a lack of talent.

Nonetheless, this anime could have been so nice with proper animation quality.

Xelbair
Sat, 05-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Akuma no Riddle - its fun to watch and i enjoy it.

Atelier - it is.. fantasy moe anime with possible plot. light, it might be fun if you set your expectations right.

Date a live 2 - its date a live, dumb harem, in which protagonist knows about that.

Brynhildr - ep 2 hooked me, ep1 was weak. I'll keep watching it.

Chaika - weird fantasy setting, interesting characters.

JoJo - its a goddamn jojo, it is fabulous.

Mekakucity Actors - it is fun to watch, but it is SHAFTED hard. 1st ep was intersting, later ones were too.

No Game No Life - really fun show to watch, it is not 'fresh' as world in which everything is decided by games has been used recently(Mondaijitachi, Dog Days) but it is well executed

Mahouka - i know what to expect, i will watch it to just see some parts animated, and i hope that it will deviate from source.

Sidonia no Kishi - surprisingly, i really like this one - despite full CG... well Kingdom kinda made me immune to 'CG cringe'.

Dragonar - not another damned tsundere. nope nope nope.

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii - i've only seen one ep, but i'll marathon it later for sure.

Daimidaler - this is trashy ecchi series about penguins and mecha... what is there not to love?

Edort4
Sat, 05-10-2014, 08:58 AM
I actually find the art in ping pong refreshing. I find that it lacks in motions but I can stand it and like how they overcome it in its own way. I dont know about that message sending thing. Its just common sense that talent plus a bit of work will beat hard work 9 out of 10 times. I actually think that its worse that happy flower message about how you can be whatever you want if you work hard for it. I know lots of anime are focused for kids but any teen should learn truth and not be told blatant lies. Thats how you create the infantile society we have in advanced countries and all the depressions, suicides etc when youngsters (and no so youngsters) face reality.

MFauli
Sat, 05-10-2014, 09:39 AM
Im 28 and I still think you can be whatever you want if you put in enough effort. I also donīt see any "infantile society" with this line of thinking, as you still have to accept the "enough effort" or "hard work" part, which is something most people lack when they choose some high up-dream goals. But youīre not being held down by a lack of talent. Itīs just takes a little more.