PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Anime: Spring 2014

shinta|hikari
Wed, 03-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Link (http://anichart.net/spring)to the chart.

Kitaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

Finally, finally, Mahou Koukou no Rettousei is going to be animated. I have waited, and waited, and it is finally here!!!

Gokukoku no Brynhildr!!!
Mushishi Season 2!!!
Mangaka to Assistant To!!!

Just these 4 titles make the next season one of the best in recent memory in my book, provided they don't ruin the adaptation.

Other things that will definitely be good are Baby Steps and Sidonia no Kishi.

And of course, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders!

I cannot wait to see Shiba Tatsuya show why he is the epitome of badassery.

MFauli
Wed, 03-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Much better season than the last one.

But damn, the contrast is stark as never before imo. Itīs either really interesting ... or moe shit. No in-between.

Is that Jojo-anime a direct continuation of the one we got last year?

vejita613
Wed, 03-05-2014, 04:02 PM
Will Watch:

-Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara, manga was enjoyable at times.
-Keroro - I had no idea this was coming back. Hell yeah I'll watch it.
-Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - Enjoyed the manga.
-Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to - same.
-Soul Eater Not! - same.

Maybe:
-Fairy Tale - Missed it the first time around. Is it really that good?
-No Game No Life - Seems interesting enough.
-Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii - Couldn't get past the first chapter of the manga but maybe the anime will change my mind.

And maybe I'll get around to Attack on Titan this season so I can finally see what all the hype is about.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 03-05-2014, 04:07 PM
JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Stardust CrusadersFuck yeah!

Fairy Tail (2014)Fuuuuck yeah!

Although, it's listed as "a reboot". Are they really going to start the series over already? Is that necessary? The previous one only had, like, 4 filler episodes, the whole series was in HD, and the anime never splintered off from the manga. So what's the point of restarting it exactly?

Soul Eater Not!I read that manga for a little while. Did that ever actually turn into anything that didn't suck? Or did it just keep being, like, highschool girl friends story that just happened to be set in the Soul Eater universe?

Magi: Sinbad no BoukenOoh, wazzis?

Is that Jojo-anime a direct continuation of the one we got last year?Yep. Or at least, it's the manga arc that follows the one the last series ended on.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 03-05-2014, 04:28 PM
The contrast is indeed stark. We have around <10 really good looking ones, then the rest is garbage.

Ryllharu
Wed, 03-05-2014, 06:00 PM
FOOLS! Your selections and claiming this season will be better proves to me and my mind's eye that you are fools of the highest caliber!

Captain Earth - Tanned beauty (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=character&charid=62890) character! Must at least try. Plus most of the staff comes from Star Driver, and that was a well received show around here.

Soul Eater Not! - Because it is what Soul Eater wanted to be, before it got excessively grimdark.

Fuuun Ishin Dai Shougun - Exhaustive Yamashita Shunya (https://www.google.com/search?q=Yamashita+Shun%60ya&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=oaYXU8mqN4i20AGn9YCICQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1209&bih=908#q=Yamashita+Shunya&spell=1&tbm=isch) artwork of the ninja woman (he created all the characters actually) means that I must try this as well. Alternate version of Japan where the Meiji Restoration never happened, so I believe it will not suck. Old timey mechas! Really, really strong voice cast attached to this one too, so that gives me a bit more confidence in it.

Date A Live II - Because DATE A LIVE was retarded, good fun, with entertaining (if brief) fights. It actually takes seriously the idea that you can simply date girls and convince them not destroying your city, while being stalked by a psychotic and possessive classmate. It doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is.

Gokukoku no Brynhildr - Very disappointed that Shinta failed to mention that this series is from the same author as Elfen Lied (as terrible as the manga version might be...). The manga is generally well received (though I can't verify this personally), and...screw it, I'm watching it.

Kanojo ga Flag o Oraretara - It looks stupid in a great way.

Kenzen Robo Daimidaler - Seriously, look at that promotional image. It's easier to see if you look to the lower left. How can you not at least try this?!

Also going to try:
Sidonia no Kishi - Cuz it looks weird in a good way, and the anime will probably end before the series starts to fall apart.
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - Whatever, I'm only in it for Hayami Saori and Uchiyama Yumi.

If I am bored will try:
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san - I did not think the manga was funny. Read two volumes and didn't laugh once. Hayami Saori though...

Not Watching:
Break Blade (tv) - They already fucked up the series once, now they're going to do it all over again. The only interesting thing is this is going from a movie into a rehashed tv series, not other way around which is typical.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 03-05-2014, 06:40 PM
I actually read the source of most of the adaptations I mentioned, so I know they are good. I read through the summaries, and some of them are interesting, but they were overshadowed by the fact that most of the manga/LN that I love are getting animated.

Mahou Koukou no Rettousei's description does not do the story justice. It is a lot darker than it lets on.

Edort4
Wed, 03-05-2014, 06:44 PM
Matsutarou must be an obligee for lolicon and moe lovers. That GotWooter that loves 10 year olds 2d characters must be mesmerized by this show.

Nothing apart from mushishi ring my bell. I like the art of Atelier escha whatever but by the description it looks like some shounen boring shit. Sidonia also caught my eye and Im always for some sports anime so may watch that volleyball one.

Ryllharu
Wed, 03-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Mahou Koukou no Rettousei's description does not do the story justice. It is a lot darker than it lets on.It's still a light novel. The quality of an anime based off a light novel is inversely proportional to the enthusiasm of the novel's fans towards the announcement of its adaptation. A sad but brutal truth.

The only thing it has going for it is the aforementioned Hayami Saori and Uchiyama Yumi (Momiji from Binbougami ga! / Nagi from A Channel).

shinta|hikari
Wed, 03-05-2014, 07:03 PM
I'm going to stay optimistic. It will be really hard to ruin that story, and based on the previews, it looks pretty good.

Some LNs actually do get good if not great adaptations, even with a lot of hype (i.e. Baccano, Fate/Zero, Kara no Kyoukai, Haruhi 1st season, Horizon, etc.)

I just watched some of the previews out there, and even with mostly face shots, I am already salivating. The art looks really nice and clean, a style I really prefer. I hope this is a 2 cour adaptation.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 03-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Soul Eater Not! - Because it is what Soul Eater wanted to be, before it got excessively grimdark.And what's that?

Ryllharu
Wed, 03-05-2014, 08:17 PM
And what's that?

Fun.

Compare earlier episodes to anything after the fight over BREW. Compare arcs with Blair in them (in any capacity) to arcs with Marie Mjolnir in them. Compare the fights with the heroes and teachers/Eruka/Medusa to Giriko/late Crona/[redacted]. Compare Excalibur to...oh wait, there's no comedy relief in the second half.

The setting and art style are wasted on what the story eventually became. The author knew it too, which is why he started writing Soul Eater Not on the side.

edit:
And the manga is even bleaker.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 03-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Does it still have the exciting parts of early Soul Eater eventually though?

Because up to the point I stopped reading, it was pretty much a high school relationship story, only one of the characters happens to turn into a weapon.

Alhuin
Wed, 03-05-2014, 09:26 PM
I don't watch ongoing series anymore since I don't have time, but I looked at the chart, and I'm confused with "Break Blade". The movies ended without really solving anything, but according to the description, it's not a continuation. What's the point of doing it again?

Other than that, I see some interesting titles that I'm looking forward to on Bluray in a few years.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 03-05-2014, 10:02 PM
It's the movie divided into episodes with new scenes. Utter cash grab.

I actually liked the early parts of soul eater. It felt fresh and a little less shounen than the latter parts.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 03-06-2014, 02:28 AM
I actually liked the early parts of soul eater. It felt fresh and a little less shounen than the latter parts.I liked the early parts of Soul Eater too. I just didn't like the early parts of Soul Eater Not, and I never got past the early parts, so I don't know if I should care about this upcoming series or not.

Xelbair
Thu, 03-06-2014, 06:33 AM
I actually read the source of most of the adaptations I mentioned, so I know they are good. I read through the summaries, and some of them are interesting, but they were overshadowed by the fact that most of the manga/LN that I love are getting animated.

Mahou Koukou no Rettousei's description does not do the story justice. It is a lot darker than it lets on.
This - it is not the greatest work ever... but it will be really fun to watch.

MasterOfMoogles
Fri, 03-07-2014, 01:49 AM
Is Mahou Koukou even going to be that good?
I feel like I started the manga and dropped it because it seemed pretty generic.

This season ended up being pretty bad, but I don't particularly think Spring looks amazing or anything.
JoJo, of course, will be amazing and I am definitely looking forward to that.
That might be better than any single thing from Winter excluding carryovers (KlK, Log Horizon, Hunter x Hunter).
Mangaka to Assistant should be funny. The manga was enjoyable.
No Game, No Life has potential (the manga only has a few english chapters, but it was fun).

We'll see if SHAFT can do any good with Meikaku City Actors.

I'll probably watch the majority of everything else, just because, but I'm not expecting any hits.

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 03-07-2014, 05:16 AM
Sweet.

Break Blade
Blade and Soul-Though I play Tera is it'd prefer it if they made an anime for Tera instead XD
Captain Earth.
Date A Live 2nd season
Fairy Taill!!!
Gokukoku no Brynhildr- Been reading the manga since it came out.

Prolly as a few more as they come along.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-07-2014, 08:43 AM
Mahou Koukou looks generic in the 1st few parts, but then becomes something darker. The characters are also generally more mature than other High School shows.

I suggest giving it 3-5 episodes to warm up. The latter arcs are much better than the earlier ones.

tnynyn
Mon, 03-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Mushishi Zoku Shou - yeaaaahhh!! loved mushishi
Sidonia no Kishi - looks good. I like the art style

lelouch
Tue, 03-18-2014, 12:19 AM
Wow is it just me or is this season packed with some good stuff for once?

Also, are we ever gonna get season 2 of accel world of AoT?

Xelbair
Tue, 03-18-2014, 10:42 AM
Kraco will enjoy Mahou show - mc is not a wimp.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 03-18-2014, 11:10 AM
If you liked Kazuma from Kaze no Stigma, you will probably like Tatsuya.

Kraco
Tue, 03-18-2014, 12:24 PM
Kraco will enjoy Mahou show - mc is not a wimp.

If you liked Kazuma from Kaze no Stigma, you will probably like Tatsuya.

Sounds jolly good to me.

I haven't yet had any sort of look at the coming season. I don't think RandomC's site has been updated with a preview either, or at least wasn't a few days ago.

Kraco
Sat, 03-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Surely:

Fairy Tail
Soul Eater Not!
Mahou Koukou no Rettousei (if it's as good for me as the guys above say)
Magi OVA

Interested in checking out:

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii (the setting is like made for me, but too bad vejita's post suggests otherwise)
Sidonia no Kishi (sounds pretty standard, but who knows)
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san (I think I had a look at the manga once upon the time)
Hitsugi no Chaika
Gokukoku no Brynhildr (the name sounds so good)
Atelier Escha (I've never played the Atelier games, so I want to see what they are all about)

I'd also have a look at Keroro if I knew Alisa Southerncross made an appearance...

I'll end up checking out many more shows, but these stood out from the chart.

KrayZ33
Sun, 03-23-2014, 04:21 PM
let's see what /a/ posts and I'll pick up stuff according to the pictures they add.
its the only reasons why I picked up Nisekoi and Inari this season and I'm glad I did.

absolutely everything sounds kinda boring this season, they really don't know how to do trailers/previews for shows and movies on that island

vejita613
Sat, 03-29-2014, 03:56 AM
Probably doesn't matter by now, but RandomC (http://randomc.net/2014/03/27/spring-2014-preview/) finally put up their preview for next season.

Adding DBZ kai and Seikoku no Dragonar to my "will watch" list.

MFauli
Fri, 04-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Dont know if it deserves its own thread yet, so ill post here:

just watched Majin Bone episode 1. Guess itīs because I was really bored, but I enjoyed it quite some. Although Ive gotta say it arrives at the worst of all times. Just when Samurai Flamenco is finally over, another Power Rangers-like series is coming. The CGI-graphics are super bad, too. And the three "mysterious guys" look very generic, the leader being a Griffith-knock off.

Ill give this anime one, maybe two more episodes before deciding.

Ediut:

Watched episode 1 of Blade and Soul. I guess this anime is for man hating women. All main characters are female (not a single male person in the opening, too) and the, obiously, male opponents are slaughter by the dozen to hype up the heroines.
Dropped.

I wanted to try selector infected WIXOSS, but the coverart implies that itīs an all-female anime, too. Seriously, what is up with this bullshit? How about some male heroes please :(

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 04-10-2014, 01:00 PM
So is Queens Blade about man hating women as well? Not a single male main/support character in that?

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-10-2014, 01:01 PM
And there is a male character in Blade and Soul. He is the huge dude who is also seen in the OP.