PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Godzilla 2014

vejita613
Tue, 02-25-2014, 06:15 PM
So, no one is hyped for this at all? Or is everyone still burned by the '98 movie?

1st trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjKO10hKtYw&feature=share&list=LLN-wuTgC00OgdPdxDE9OPSQ&index=27)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjKO10hKtYw

2nd trailer (http://youtu.be/vIu85WQTPRc)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIu85WQTPRc

Personally, I think it looks great. All I ask for at this point is his atomic breath.

Hail to the King, baby.

Munsu
Tue, 02-25-2014, 06:23 PM
Godzilla vs. Blue Meth

Animeniax
Tue, 02-25-2014, 06:30 PM
I like that Godzilla looks (and sounds) more like the one from the 50s-70s, and less like a giant lizard like in the last movie. What would be really mind-shattering is if they made a sequel where the Pacific Rim bots fight Godzilla.

Godzilla vs. Blue MethAhh come on man, Bryan Cranston is so much more than Walter White.

Munsu
Tue, 02-25-2014, 06:32 PM
Ahh come on man, Bryan Cranston is so much more than Walter White.

Your point?

Animeniax
Tue, 02-25-2014, 06:33 PM
Your point?

No need to bring up WW or BB or blue meth.

Alhuin
Tue, 02-25-2014, 07:21 PM
I plan on going if I can find a group to go with. I don't do theaters by myself.

I grew up watching the old school Godzilla movies, so I'm pretty excited that this one is supposed to be similar.

We won't even talk about the Matthew Broderick monstrosity.

Munsu
Tue, 02-25-2014, 09:37 PM
No need to bring up WW or BB or blue meth.

Excellent argument.

Animeniax
Tue, 02-25-2014, 10:37 PM
Excellent argument.

If you really must pigeon-hole an actor/actress based on one role, that kinda sucks. He does come off as frantic Walt in some of the scenes in the trailer, but he still deserves some respect as a great actor.

But back to the topic, I like the inclusion of Godzilla's Japanese roots. Of course, it'll probably be a bunch of Koreans playing Japanese.

Munsu
Tue, 02-25-2014, 10:54 PM
If you really must pigeon-hole an actor/actress based on one role, that kinda sucks. He does come off as frantic Walt in some of the scenes in the trailer, but he still deserves some respect as a great actor.

But back to the topic, I like the inclusion of Godzilla's Japanese roots. Of course, it'll probably be a bunch of Koreans playing Japanese.

You're so off-base on what you're saying and in what you're interpreting from what I said that it's not even worth bothering about. I'll give you a hint, nothing of what I said has anything to do from what I perceived from Cranston's character or his acting, or anything that was found in the trailer or outside of it as far as this movie goes as it relates to that particular aspect.

I don't know, I'll give you a hint.. maybe I was giving homage and adding a bit of humor to the old Godzilla "vs" titles, based on the seemingly plot setup to make the Cranston's character into the hero that is our only hope to stop him.

But of course, I was obviously making a snide demeaning remark about Cranston, and his acting based on his most popular role by far (and I'm well aware that he's had other well known projects that I've actually watched), regardless of how long of an acting pedigree he has going for him.. I'll just have to remind myself not to make any Jack Bauer jokes in the future too or Dexter or... well I hope you get the idea.

A sense of humor might help.

Animeniax
Tue, 02-25-2014, 11:51 PM
You're so off-base on what you're saying and in what you're interpreting from what I said that it's not even worth bothering about. I'll give you a hint, nothing of what I said has anything to do from what I perceived from Cranston's character or his acting, or anything that was found in the trailer or outside of it as far as this movie goes as it relates to that particular aspect.

I don't know, I'll give you a hint.. maybe I was giving homage and adding a bit of humor to the old Godzilla "vs" titles, based on the seemingly plot setup to make the Cranston's character into the hero that is our only hope to stop him.

But of course, I was obviously making a snide demeaning remark about Cranston, and his acting based on his most popular role by far (and I'm well aware that he's had other well known projects that I've actually watched), regardless of how long of an acting pedigree he has going for him.. I'll just have to remind myself not to make any Jack Bauer jokes in the future too or Dexter or... well I hope you get the idea.

A sense of humor might help.If you had posted anything besides "Godzilla vs blue meth", I might have seen the humor. Whatever, back to the movie.

UChessmaster
Wed, 02-26-2014, 05:49 AM
What`s wrong with the 90`s movie?

shinta|hikari
Wed, 02-26-2014, 09:38 AM
I was at first surprised about the changes, but I still think it was a good movie overall.

Godzilla vs. Heisenberg

Animeniax
Wed, 02-26-2014, 01:33 PM
What`s wrong with the 90`s movie?

I can't remember if I even saw the whole thing, that's how forgettable it was. The biggest problem was the departure from the classic Godzilla, turning it into more of a lizard/gator creature that a dinosaur. While this was more scientifically accurate, it went against the original design.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 02-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Do you mean that it is forgettable because of the monster design?

TwisT
Wed, 02-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Why can't you identify an actor with a character that he/she played? Specially if that actor didn't anything really remarkable other then that character and series/movie. What other things other then Breaking Bad have Bryan Cranston done that you guys have watched that make him a great actor deserving of such respect that you can't identify him as his most successful acting of his career? Would you even know who Bryan Cranston was if not for Breaking Bad?

All i have seen Bryan Cranston in that i could remember when i first watched BB was "Malcolm in the middle" and a returning episodes of "How i met your mother" as Hammond Druthers. And MITM wasn't even a show i followed. Total Recall remake was after BB. Other then that i couldn't recall anything of his. Not then when i first saw it and not now. For me he is Walter White. He will probably always be.

Some other actors that are far bigger and greater is identified as one of their characters. Munsu mentioned Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer. Hugh Laurie as House. Patrick Stewart as Picard, James Spader as Alan Shore, Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy. It's not a bad thing. It means they made such an amazing job, that role is etched in to our brains. I believe that your name as an actor need to overshadow the character (the greater the character the bigger name you need). But back to what i first wanted to know. What has Bryan Cranston done that make his name more recognizable then his character?

MFauli
Wed, 02-26-2014, 03:21 PM
I can't remember if I even saw the whole thing, that's how forgettable it was. The biggest problem was the departure from the classic Godzilla, turning it into more of a lizard/gator creature that a dinosaur. While this was more scientifically accurate, it went against the original design.

The 90s Godzilla-design was infinitely superior to the original Godzilla, you suck. Never understood the complaints about the Emmerich-movie. Yes, there was too much focus on human drama (which could ruin this new movie, too), but all the Godzilla-scenes were fantastic.

I still hate that we never got a sequel to that one, since it ended with such an obvious hint for one.

Ryllharu
Wed, 02-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Yes, there was too much focus on human drama (which could ruin this new movie, too), but all the Godzilla-scenes were fantastic.

I still hate that we never got a sequel to that one, since it ended with such an obvious hint for one.

There was the cartoon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla:_The_Series)...which unlike the movie, was awesome. It took the more "Godzilla is a anti-hero" track of the later Toho films and had Godzilla Zilla (Toho reclassified it to divorce it from the series) and much of the team from the film hunting down other kaiju-type monsters. Connected to the film by the scene at the end of the movie with the new hatchling.

If you need a reminder (http://www.earwolf.com/episode/godzilla/) of why the 1998 version sucks and why this one looks better.

edit:
Or a different, shorter reminder (http://youtu.be/l_ufBleUNos) of why it is mediocre at best.

edit 2:
There's always some element of cursory human drama in Godzilla films. But the destruction is always the key focus. It hasn't been about the message since the first film.

UChessmaster
Wed, 02-26-2014, 04:41 PM

To be honest, there`s not that much of a difference between a giant lizard and a giant dinosaur, they both look alike more or less. And you have to consider that it was a reimagining, saying it`s bad because it`s different doesn't fares well with me.

Animeniax
Wed, 02-26-2014, 04:52 PM
The 90s Godzilla-design was infinitely superior to the original Godzilla, you suck. Never understood the complaints about the Emmerich-movie. Yes, there was too much focus on human drama (which could ruin this new movie, too), but all the Godzilla-scenes were fantastic.

It was more realistic, if a giant monster lizard were to arise from the sea and wreak havoc and destruction on the world. But I'm a purist and "reimaginings" and reinventions piss me off, for the most part. How about some originality? Stop bastardizing other people's work.

To be honest, there`s not that much of a difference between a giant lizard and a giant dinosaur, they both look alike more or less. And you have to consider that it was a reimagining, saying it`s bad because it`s different doesn't fares well with me.
Go watch it and see for yourself. I remember Matthew Broderick being a sissy (how did Ferris Bueller turn into such a wuss?) and unlikable.

Y
Wed, 02-26-2014, 11:51 PM
The funny thing is Bryan Cranston was clearly cast to channel some of his Breaking Bad rage monologues. Or maybe the casting director was a huge Malcolm in the Middle fan.

This looks very good, but that's the easy part. Here's hoping it has a brain.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-27-2014, 12:04 AM
What can you expect from a monster movie? What kind of plot complexity can they deliver with the source material that they have? Eye candy is all I am expecting from this.

Animeniax
Thu, 02-27-2014, 01:20 AM
I'm hoping for something more than a special effects mess like most disaster/giant monster movies coming out of Hollywood these days. I want an homage to the classic giant monster movies, something that harks back and makes us nostalgic. Otherwise it will just be another shitty movie rehash.

Kraco
Thu, 02-27-2014, 04:45 AM
A trailer is a trailer, but I liked how there seemed to be more desperation and mystery in this one. The 90's one was kind of too clinical and realistic. I'm somewhat contradicting myself here, though, since I'm almost always annoyed by monsters that don't give a damn about weapons that could penetrate a meter of solid steel and thus many more meters of flesh and bone, but I'm hoping there are some plausible explanations in this one or the script and direction otherwise make technological human efforts largely pointless.

I didn't especially mind the 90's movie, it was entertaining enough for what it was. It even had Jean Reno.

MFauli
Thu, 02-27-2014, 12:54 PM
Btw there´s a scene where you can see part of another monster. And, well, may sound silly, but to me it looks like the arm of that monster from Cloverfield. Crossover?

Anyway, I´m curious how they´ll include a human side in the story, since even a nuke couldnt kill this version of Godzilla. Emmerich-Godzilla was rather week, a bunch of rockets took it down. But when a nuke fails, there´s not much left to try. Which, in turns, diminishes the role of humans even more.

I´d say a best case-scenario would conclude a bad end, basically have the whole movie be about Godzilla fighting that other monster, while the military explores option after option to kill these rampant beasts, but keeps failing. And at the end, they´re completely disillusioned and just watch the chaos and terror unfold. If it needs to end on a less apocalyptic note, they could make it a double-ko, where only these monsters were capable to kill their kind, leaving the humans shocked and too scared to celebrate. "We got lucky ...", and then the screen goes black. Bamm!

Animeniax
Thu, 02-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Btw there´s a scene where you can see part of another monster. And, well, may sound silly, but to me it looks like the arm of that monster from Cloverfield. Crossover?

Anyway, I´m curious how they´ll include a human side in the story, since even a nuke couldnt kill this version of Godzilla.

No, there's only the one monster. I think the scene you're talking about shows his tail, which is rather long.

Also, they show plenty of human reaction to the devastation, just like in any disaster movie. Elizabeth Olsen as the doctor, Cranston as the "I told you so" scientist, and the soldier guy... we'll probably get to see it all from their perspectives. Hooray!

I think in the end it will be a virus or something small that kills Godzilla.

Ryllharu
Thu, 02-27-2014, 03:42 PM
I think in the end it will be a virus or something small that kills Godzilla.
Haven't either of you two seen the original movie?

Godzilla was released by nuclear weapons, when it used to be appeased in ancient times by human sacrifices. After a number of attempts to destroy this creature essentially created by nuclear power, they resort to using another, even more horrific weapon to destroy it, the Oxygen Destroyer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_Destroyer) which destroyed all life in Tokyo Bay...but later turned out to cause the creation of the evolving mutant The Destoroyah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destoroyah), and the tactics used to defeat that ultimately rendered Tokyo an uninhabitable nuclear wasteland.

Godzilla is created by human vanity and irresponsibility, and the only way to stop that is to create something even worse. The lesson is that you can't really make up for your mistakes without the cost of even more life. Once you open the door to weapons of that terrifying magnitude, you can't go back.

vejita613
Thu, 02-27-2014, 04:20 PM
The Destoroyah[/URL], and the tactics used to defeat that ultimately rendered Tokyo an uninhabitable nuclear wasteland.
For all of like what? Five minutes? Still one of my favorite movies though. I'm not ashamed to say that I still get teary-eyed at the end.

Godzilla is created by human vanity and irresponsibility, and the only way to stop that is to create something even worse. The lesson is that you can't really make up for your mistakes without the cost of even more life. Once you open the door to weapons of that terrifying magnitude, you can't go back.

It's funny. I've seen some fans on tumblr complaining about the fact that, instead of being created by nuclear weapons, the U.S. was trying to use them to kill Godzilla. Apparently, they felt Legendary is distorting his origin and that the U.S. is trying to make it look like Godzilla is "not our fault" and that Edwards "missed the point of Godzilla entirely", etc. I kind of said what you have here but you hit the nail on the head. Fact of the matter is that this is the year 2014 and we KNOW that nuclear testing was and is bad. The message has already been received loud and clear and Edwards mentioned before that this movie was not going to center around that anyways. The point is that humanity messed up some how, some way, and Godzilla our penance.

Ryllharu
Thu, 02-27-2014, 04:31 PM
Yeah. I'm eager to see how we released Godzilla if this time we were "testing" nuke to try and kill him. That part alone in the trailer sets it apart from the original. I also took the trailer that we were cooperating with the Japanese (and whoever else knew about it, French, Russians, whoever) by using the nukes.

Please don't let it be climate change. We don't need another The Happening (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Happening_(2008_film)).

vejita613
Thu, 02-27-2014, 07:52 PM
Article from Empire Magazine in case anyone wants to read it. (http://imgur.com/a/SxTJA)

I'll have to read it tomorrow. I have to get up early in the morning.

Animeniax
Thu, 02-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Haven't either of you two seen the original movie?Yeah, but a long time ago and in a galaxy far far away. I'll have to see the original again instead of this new one.

Reminds me of this clip from the Simpsons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0MliUWEZA8

Y
Sat, 03-01-2014, 09:53 PM
What can you expect from a monster movie? What kind of plot complexity can they deliver with the source material that they have?

Try watching Gojira and get back to me on that one.

vejita613
Wed, 03-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Facebook interview with Gareth Edwards (http://www.scified.com/site/godzillamovies/highlights-from-yesterdays-live-godzilla-2014-qa-with-director-gareth-edwards)

Photos from Godzilla Roadshow in Mexico (http://www.scified.com/site/godzillamovies/godzilla-2014-movie-news-roundup-photos-from-the-godzilla-roadshow-in-mexico)

If anyone is interested.

Kraco
Thu, 05-15-2014, 01:00 PM
My impression of the movie (obviously spoilers):

While I think this was a better movie than the previous Gozilla when evaluated the whole package, this still had its own weaknesses. Interestingly enough the greatest weakness was a natural flip side of the biggest strength this had compared to the old one. The good points were that this was a smooth movie from the beginning till the end and in my opinion managed to deal nicely with the fact humans were totally irrelevant in this (aside from providing radioactive material). That's not necessarily an easy feat. That meant the monsters got the center stage and they were jolly good. Very single-minded and following their animal objectives with no nonsense. They simply searched food and breeding opportunities like beasts should. I also quite liked the fact they weren't any product of random nuclear tests but something ancient and only surfaced now again because they suddenly had food available again. Their nuclear physiques worked well, from the EMP to the heat blast. All the action was a joy to watch, with the destruction splendid. The deaths of the two mutos were good, especially the bigger one's.

If I had to mention a couple of the weaknesses, aside from nitpicking details like the totally unnecessary parachuting only done to grant grand visuals (since they were actually so close to the piers they could carry the fricking megaton warhead there, so they could have just arrive by boat as well), I'd mention the lack of Jean Reno, that is, the lack of interesting characters at all. Since the humans were irrelevant, all the characters were more or less irrelevant as well. This also led to the fact there was no thrill in this movie. While watching the monsters fight each other was magnificient visually, it's not like I'd have had too much emotion invested in the match.

A good movie well worth watching.

Animeniax
Thu, 05-15-2014, 02:21 PM
Kraco, your review makes the movie sound nothing like what was presented in the trailers. While this is often true of trailers, are you sure you're talking about Godzilla 2014 and not Pacific Rim?

vejita613
Fri, 05-16-2014, 07:39 PM
I’m still processing what I saw, but my initial impression is that it was a good movie. Not great, but good. There are a lot of things I’m nit-picking on, but the atomic breath gave me goosebumps (despite the fact that I got spoiled). I saw the tail start to glow blue and I had an immediate reaction of "oh s@#$!!". Sadly, even his breath wasn't that impressive. Looked better than the Showa series, but definitely not nearly as powerful as Heisei or Millennium.

I'd mention the lack of Jean Reno, that is, the lack of interesting characters at all. Since the humans were irrelevant, all the characters were more or less irrelevant as well. This also led to the fact there was no thrill in this movie. While watching the monsters fight each other was magnificient visually, it's not like I'd have had too much emotion invested in the match.
Yeah, shifting the focus from Joe to Ford seemed like a wasted opportunity imo. I think I would have cared more if he had watched G crush the Muto. I think it would have given him closure. Him and Serizawa were the only human characters I really cared about and you didn't really see as much of them.

I know there are a lot of talks on the interwebs about how you didn't really see a lot of Godzilla even though it's his movie. In truth, I would say most Godzilla films featured the monsters maybe 40% of the time. So, it didn't really come as much of a surprise to me. These films are really about how humans cope with monsters changing their world. They are the narrators and spectators (and eventually the solution) of the story. But ultimately, they are not what draw people into the movie theater.

Kraco
Sat, 05-17-2014, 02:33 AM
Kraco, your review makes the movie sound nothing like what was presented in the trailers. While this is often true of trailers, are you sure you're talking about Godzilla 2014 and not Pacific Rim?

I think Pacific Rim was more like the trailers than this movie. When I watched a Godzilla 3D trailer, it showed so much of the final parts of the movie and some other similar glimpses that I got an impression this would be a very chaotic and desperate movie where the humanity, and the audience, doesn't know much of the time what's going on, only that something terrible and monstrous is out there, and they have to do what they can mostly blind and by guesswork. However, that was very much not the case. While humanity was more or less powerless, there was hardly any despair, terror, or chaos for most of the movie. Although thankfully there was destruction at the very least. Despite the material and lives lost, this was a very smooth sail for humans. Those tracking the monsters knew most of the time where they were and they were hardly ever at a loss about what to do next. Their plans didn't really work out, well, ever, but that was given considering this was Godzilla's show.

It may look like I'm criticizing this heavily, but that's not altogether correct. While I was somewhat betrayed by my expectations, that's my own fault, and this movie was still very entertaining by its own right.

vejita613
Sat, 05-17-2014, 07:48 PM
. While humanity was more or less powerless, there was hardly any despair, terror, or chaos for most of the movie. Although thankfully there was destruction at the very least. Despite the material and lives lost, this was a very smooth sail for humans. Those tracking the monsters knew most of the time where they were and they were hardly ever at a loss about what to do next. Their plans didn't really work out, well, ever, but that was given considering this was Godzilla's show..

A valid point that I didn't think of. In fact, I think that's the thing that's been bothering me this entire time more than anything else. Which I find funny since at the end of the movie, people regard G as a sort of Hero, but they have no idea what from. Really, they should have seen him as much of a threat as the Mutos as he helped cause a lot of that destruction too.

UChessmaster
Sun, 05-18-2014, 09:01 PM
I thought the movie was bad, 2/10

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-18-2014, 10:57 PM
I guess it tried to stick to the original, maybe too much for today's audience. The only thing I liked about it is how they tried to get a hit on the previous adaptation by having Gojira smash through a suspension bridge AND take missile hits like it was nothing.

vejita613
Mon, 05-19-2014, 03:01 AM
Not even for the atomic breath?

Apparently they've already decided to do a sequel. (http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/godzilla-2-sequel-warner-bros-legendary-gareth-edwards/)

UChessmaster
Mon, 05-19-2014, 05:17 AM
The breath is what gave it a point, that said, isn`t his atomic breath radiation based? since Godzilla also absorbs radiation? Then how come that attack did any sort of damage to the radiation absorbing Cloverfield?

Kraco
Tue, 05-20-2014, 02:45 AM
The breath is what gave it a point, that said, isn`t his atomic breath radiation based? since Godzilla also absorbs radiation? Then how come that attack did any sort of damage to the radiation absorbing Cloverfield?

Nuclear power plants are also radiation based, but in fact the power generation itself is based on heat. I imagine the effect of Godzilla's breath is the same: It has the very high temperature and the consequent pressure doing the damage.

UChessmaster
Tue, 05-20-2014, 06:07 AM
Nuclear power plants are also radiation based, but in fact the power generation itself is based on heat. I imagine the effect of Godzilla's breath is the same: It has the very high temperature and the consequent pressure doing the damage.

But radiation is hot (http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0209043), how would fire hurt them...?

Kraco
Tue, 05-20-2014, 07:50 AM
But radiation is hot (http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0209043), how would fire hurt them...?

I think radiation in this case mainly refers to alpha, beta, and gamma radiation. If any radiation would do for these mutos, they would just bask in the sun like any lizards. I don't think these monsters needs a chain reaction (with the massive amount of heat generated), they need just the natural radioactive decay. All solid matter has their upper thermal limit before they starts to melt or take damage even before melting, living matter all the more so. That's why the military folks in the movie intended to wipe out the monsters with a nuclear explosion. They would have been vaporised like anything near enough the ground zero.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 05-21-2014, 11:26 PM
The military is stupid trope is something of which I am so tired. They could have easily figured out (I did, after all) that transporting a nuke anywhere near a Muto would lead to it being intercepted. They should have baited the Muto with some radioactive material intentionally to distract it, so they can transport the actual nuke to the intended location.

I really hate it when people lack common sense in fiction. It just screams rushed or bad writing.

UChessmaster
Sun, 05-25-2014, 07:49 PM
Godzilla plummeted 66% at the box office during its second week. SHOCKING!

vejita613
Mon, 05-26-2014, 05:39 AM
Yeah, thanks DOTFP. Oh well, at least Godzilla is getting a sequel.

And by sequel, I mean trilogy. (http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/godzilla-3-joins-godzilla-2-legendary-plan-monster-trilogy-1449762)

UChessmaster
Mon, 05-26-2014, 06:40 AM
Yeah, thanks DOTFP. Oh well, at least Godzilla is getting a sequel.

And by sequel, I mean trilogy. (http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/godzilla-3-joins-godzilla-2-legendary-plan-monster-trilogy-1449762)

And bad word of mouth (http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3848&p=.htm), don`t forget that.

vejita613
Mon, 05-26-2014, 01:04 PM
True, and hopefully they will take this into account when they make the next movies.