PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Fantastic Four

UChessmaster
Thu, 02-20-2014, 08:07 AM
http://www.newsarama.com/20370-fox-found-fantastic-four-reboot-cast.html

Go ahead haters, shower me with your words of disagreement over Johnny Storm, my body is ready.

Munsu
Thu, 02-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Looks like a disaster in the making.

UChessmaster
Thu, 02-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Why`s that?

Animeniax
Thu, 02-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Did FF really need a reboot? The cast looks silly, too young for the roles. Reed Richards has always had the graying sides of hair. They were scientists and astronauts who got their powers in outer space. So will these be the youngest astronauts ever? Doubt it. They will probably rewrite their origin story, another reason this movie is a bad idea.

TwisT
Thu, 02-20-2014, 12:52 PM
I'm with Munsu on this one. Cast look bad. The fact that blond and blue eyed Sue Storm's, blond and blue eyed brother is now black. But then again they avoid using Johnny Storm's name. They refer to everyone else by their name but Johnny is referred to as Human Torch. They might not make them siblings.

But in the end i could probably rant for hours about how that cast just looks and feels completely wrong. Sadly i will still watch it no matter how much of a train wreck i believe it to be.

UChessmaster
Thu, 02-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Just like how Heath Ledger can`t possibly play the Joker.

Animeniax
Thu, 02-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Just like how Heath Ledger can`t possibly play the Joker.

That one exception is brought up a lot, but remember that Ledger put himself through the ringer getting ready for the role, something that ultimately cost him his life. I doubt any of these kids will put that amount of effort into their roles for a candy-coated FF movie.

Do you think Ben Affleck will make a good Batman?

Splash!
Thu, 02-20-2014, 03:35 PM
The cast looks silly, too young for the roles. Reed Richards has always had the graying sides of hair. They were scientists and astronauts who got their powers in outer space. So will these be the youngest astronauts ever?

This. After seeing the entire cast, I must say that the race of Johnny Storm is the least of their problems. Reed Richards looks terrible. (the guy playing Ben would have looked better as Reed since he at least has a little bit of an aged look). Also, Kate Mara has always been one of those actresses that looks a lot younger than she actually is so it feeds into the whole kiddy vibe. Johnny doesn't stand out as the younger goofy guy anymore surrounded by a cast like that.

UChessmaster
Thu, 02-20-2014, 03:42 PM
That one exception is brought up a lot, but remember that Ledger put himself through the ringer getting ready for the role, something that ultimately cost him his life. I doubt any of these kids will put that amount of effort into their roles for a candy-coated FF movie.

Do you think Ben Affleck will make a good Batman?

People didn`t want Jack Nicholson or Michael Keaton either, then loved them afterwards.

I learned not to judge an actor by his looks or previous work after Heath Ledger (unlike the internet), the only way I can comment on Affleck is when I actually see the movie.

Animeniax
Thu, 02-20-2014, 06:17 PM
People didn`t want Jack Nicholson or Michael Keaton either, then loved them afterwards.

I learned not to judge an actor by his looks or previous work after Heath Ledger (unlike the internet), the only way I can comment on Affleck is when I actually see the movie.

Nicholson had played roles (The Shining, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) where he could pull off the crazy Joker role. Keaton I can agree with, but it's not like he did a great job as Bruce Wayne or Batman (despite what Maxim magazine thinks).

Ben Affleck could pull off Bruce Wayne, but it'll be hard after Bale played it so well.

This. After seeing the entire cast, I must say that the race of Johnny Storm is the least of their problems. Reed Richards looks terrible. (the guy playing Ben would have looked better as Reed since he at least has a little bit of an aged look). Also, Kate Mara has always been one of those actresses that looks a lot younger than she actually is so it feeds into the whole kiddy vibe. Johnny doesn't stand out as the younger goofy guy anymore surrounded by a cast like that.

To be fair, later in the article (the page is a jumbled mess) it says

The story of the film will reportedly be more based on the Ultimate Fantastic Four comic book than the series that launched in 1961. In the newer book, the team forms at a much younger age, with a teleportation experiment being the impetus of their powers, rather than a botched space shuttle flight. So that explains the youth movement. The movie is still going to suck though.

UChessmaster
Thu, 02-20-2014, 07:08 PM
Nicholson had played roles (The Shining, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) where he could pull off the crazy Joker role. Keaton I can agree with, but it's not like he did a great job as Bruce Wayne or Batman (despite what Maxim magazine thinks).

Yes but that`s not the point, point is people raged when he was casted before they even saw the damn movie, how many times must this shit happen before people learn not to judge a book by its cover?

Munsu
Thu, 02-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Yes but that`s not the point, point is people raged when he was casted before they even saw the damn movie, how many times must this shit happen before people learn not to judge a book by its cover?

There's always going to be "people"... you don't have to give credence to every opinion out there, and doesn't negate that fact that this movie is going to be a mess as far as I'm concerned. We can always be proved wrong, but chances are stacked against this movie being any good as currently presented.

And honestly, I don't recall the Heath Ledger opinions... this recent incantation of Batman was very protective of their casting choices, so even before I knew Heath was going to play the Joker, I was already showered with the multitude of viral content with awesome Joker visuals. Plus Batman Begins was a huge success, so I don't see the parallel you want to draw here with Ledger... or with Nicholson and Keaton for that matter, who were actual movie stars. It just doesn't equate.

UChessmaster
Thu, 02-20-2014, 08:00 PM
doesn't negate that fact that this movie is going to be a mess as far as I'm concerned.

And what do you base this on what? the cast?

And honestly, I don't recall the Heath Ledger opinions...

I`ll gladly remind you. (http://tinypic.com/r/2mpgbxk/8)

Plus Batman Begins was a huge success, so I don't see the parallel you want to draw here with Ledger...

I thought Batman Begins underperformed? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372784/business?ref_=tt_dt_bus)

Munsu
Thu, 02-20-2014, 08:58 PM
And what do you base this on what? the cast?
As a starting point, yes.

I`ll gladly remind you. (http://tinypic.com/r/2mpgbxk/8)

As I said, there's always going to be "people" around to complain about something. Doesn't mean you have to give credence to all of it. And I'll point out, most of those complaints come from trolls with an ax to grind with Brokeback Mountain.

As I mentioned, at least in this forum, when Heath Ledger was indicated as playing the Joker, we had already been salivating on how awesome the Joker had been turning out.

I thought Batman Begins underperformed? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372784/business?ref_=tt_dt_bus)

Don't know about "underperformed", but it was quite successful in the box office, and more importantly for the purposes of this thread, a critically successful.

Animeniax
Thu, 02-20-2014, 10:47 PM

You were 2 when Nicholson's Batman movie came out, so I imagine you read that there was a lot of anger and rage over his casting, not experienced it first or even second hand. Remember the internet wasn't common or heavily used back in 1989, so any anger had to have been localized or the rantings of movie critics in magazines. I guess people who write about it now are just reminiscing about their own feelings from back then.

People will never learn to not judge a book by its cover. It's why beautiful people will always be more successful and coveted than less attractive ones.

Don't know about "underperformed", but it was quite successful in the box office, and more importantly for the purposes of this thread, a critically successful.
It did just fine in the box office, making $48million on opening weekend, $202m lifetime domestically, and $375m worldwide (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=batmanbegins.htm) and spawning 2 more (soon to be at least a third Justice League movie) successful movies.

Y
Thu, 02-20-2014, 11:08 PM
This is the equivalent of those shitty 1-shots Marvel publishes every now and again to retain rights to one character or another. In fact that may actually be the reason this movie exists.

Ryllharu
Fri, 02-21-2014, 05:04 AM
Agreed. Marvel and Disney are deeply interested in regaining all their properties. Equally, Fox and Sony don't want to give them back if they can still make any money at all on them.

Carnage
Fri, 02-21-2014, 10:07 AM
I'm really hoping this bombs so bad Fox sells the FF back to Marvel. It'd be great if something like that happened to Sony as well although that's highly unlikely.

UChessmaster
Fri, 02-21-2014, 11:11 AM
I kinda want Disney to regain the rights to spiderman but continue the amazing franchise.