PDA

View Full Version : Charisma - Who has it?

neflight86
Thu, 01-16-2014, 12:30 AM
New season, new shows, and I find myself, out of all the other fine series, watching episodes of Space Dandy twice (in English, even). I had to stop and ask myself ‘why’? I keep coming back to the conclusion that I like Dandy’s character. His unfounded confidence, zany movements and unabashed old-school styling draw me back to a time when I thought it was okay to accept someone as ‘cool for coolness sake’ Stupid as that sounds (and is), it got me thinking about the impact that truly charismatic characters have in pulling me back to my favorite anime. In my personal top X, I can think of at least a single character in each that I really enjoyed/admired and desired to watch and experience years later.

A quick snip from Wikipedia to insure I am using the phrase “charismatic” correctly:

“The term charisma (/kəˈrɪzmə/; pl. charismata, adj. charismatic) has two senses: (1) compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others, (2) a divinely conferred power or talent.[2] For some theological usages the term is rendered charism, with a meaning the same as sense 2.[3] Since the 1950s, the term has become widely used, with varying meanings, in religion, the social sciences, the media, and throughout Western societies. This article describes the theological and personality senses of the definition of charisma, the history of the term, and 21st century uses of both senses in particular sectors of society.”

Followed by:

“The English term charisma is from the Greek χάρισμα khárisma, which means "favor freely given" or "gift of grace". The term and its plural χαρίσματα (charismata) derive from χάρις (charis), which means "grace". Some derivatives from that root (including "grace") have similar meanings to the modern sense of personality charisma, such as "filled with attractiveness or charm", "kindness", "to bestow a favor or service", or "to be favored or blessed".[4][5] Moreover, the ancient Greek dialectwidely used in Roman times employed these terms without the connotations found in modern religious usage.[6] Ancient Greeks applied personality charisma to their gods; for example, attributing charm, beauty, nature, human creativity or fertility to goddesses they called Charites (Χάριτες).”

Fluff aside, I simply find the magic formula that might elevate a fictional character above pandering or annoying to favor freely given fascinating.

Obviously, I expect most studios to be attempting to capture this in their characters and character designs, especially if their stories call for it, but most contemporary anime leads come off to me as fairly bland or… uninspired. I can see why in things like Visual Novels, but not anime, it being the visual and bombastic medium it is.

Do you have any specific characters that inspire you or generally give off a special vibe due to their features? I don’t specifically mean to ask about ‘favorite’ characters, but ones that have impacted you in a meaningful way that may have lasted after you finished watching; a smirk at a person with a similar hairstyle IRL; muttering a catchphrase under your breath after a personal achievement; striking a pose for any reason, if any of that makes any sense.

Thoughts certainly welcome before this sinks to the bowels of the GW forums.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 01-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Kamina from Gurren Lagann springs immediately to mind.

And I'm generally a fan of the traditional shonen idiot hero archetype. Luffy, Natsu, Naruto etc. The "more balls than brains" thing is appealing to me in a main character.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-16-2014, 02:37 PM
C.C. from Code Geass.

She has so little screen time but people still love her, despite her hair being green.

MFauli
Thu, 01-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Gin from Gintama.

The ultimate slacker, but a heart of gold and an infinite will to win.

KrayZ33
Thu, 01-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Kiritsugu Emiya

his background story, his views on the world and how they change and changed, his own abilities and limits to fulfill his quest, they all add up and make him a great character and so much more believable than others in my book

I'm also a fan of his quotes

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-16-2014, 05:25 PM
I don't think he is charismatic. Kiritsugu is a dark and brooding anti hero that requires the viewer to know his background and character before they come to like him. Don't get me wrong, Kiritsugu is one of my most favorite characters.

Charisma should be more immediately effective.

KrayZ33
Thu, 01-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Charisma should be more immediately effective.

but how is that even possible
(it isn't)

edit: no really, how?
if I were impressed by how people look, act and speak alone I'd consider pretty much every politician as charismatic, sure thing, its not like it doesn't play a role but:
I believe its more about what they say and do to win you over, its always good to hear about their experience and their hardships too

Kiritsugu is a dark and brooding anti hero

I'd call him a tragic hero
and thats what makes him likeable

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Many politicians ARE charismatic. So are a lot of actors.

You are listing reasons why you like Kiritsugu, while charisma actually means the opposite. It is even called the X factor that attracts other people. It isn't logical.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-17-2014, 08:14 PM
Charisma makes you naturally like someone, or want to help someone, or want to be around someone. It is "illogical" in that the reasons don't necessarily beneficial (eg following someone because they're good looking), but there are a few common traits:

1) good looking (or at least, not off-putting)
2) confident
3) good natured (honest?)
4) Positive (goes with confident - we can do this), jolly?
5) wise? (This does not mean smart. It also doesn't mean intelligent. It doesn't mean the person won't ever be confused. It simply means that the person has their vision/morals in the right place and acts in concordance with them. Sometimes it's as simple as having their heart in the right place)

You don't have to have all of the above qualities, but that's the general gist of things. I generally think of two types of charismatic people:

- the powerful type who you want to be next to because they're cool, and you kind of know things will work out if you stay with them. Power through knowledge counts too.

- the warm/fuzzy type who aren't as competent as the powerful type, but can make up for it by being more jolly, good natured and spirited. They usually have a good heart but may lack the means to achieve his desires. You want to be those means to achieve their vision.

I agree with shinta about politicians and actors. Without knowing much about them (how many people really understand politics or the art/personal story of acting and the actor?) Obama is(was?) popular outside of the US (to general TV viewers who only see him on the news) because of his charisma. Those inside the US may have a different opinion since they can match his deeds to his face and make a more informed decision).

Alucard (Hellsing) is pretty fucking charismatic.

Motoko from GITS is too.

Gilgamesh from the F/SN universe definitely counts as being charismatic (at least as far as stats are concerned), but that has a lot to do with his power (to kill you). As far as natural charisma goes, I would put more into Iskandar.

Takahashi Ryosuke (Initial D) is also charismatic. Cool and calm along with knowledge gives you security since he knows everything.

Xelbair
Fri, 01-17-2014, 10:01 PM
Satsuki-sama is great example. Charisma Incarnate.
Lelouch/Zero is another great one. Charisma through power of intelligence, with a bit(large bit) of theatrics.
Ovan in .Hack//Roots. His charisma is based on mystery-aura around him.