PDA

View Full Version : TV: Helix

Munsu
Mon, 01-13-2014, 09:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojbf0NmK0Eo

Helix started last week on Syfy, I enjoyed the first 2-hour episode... has a bit of 28 Days Later in it.

Helix is an intense thriller about a team of scientists from the Centers for Disease Control who travel to a high-tech research facility in the Arctic to investigate a possible disease outbreak, only to find themselves pulled into a terrifying life-and-death struggle that holds the key to mankind's salvation...or total annihilation.

Helix is the product of some of the biggest names in genre television, starting with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore (Battlestar Galactica). Also Executive Producing are Lynda Obst (Contact) and Steven Maeda (Lost, CSI: Miami, The X-Files).

http://www.syfy.com/helix/about

Animeniax
Mon, 01-13-2014, 09:49 AM
I'll check it out since I like these types of movies, though I tend to not like the low budget sci-fi movies that Syfy (or any other production company) puts out. Science fiction movies, in the absence of some truly insightful or mind-expanding notion, needs strong visuals to make it watchable, and low budgets fail at that.

Munsu
Mon, 01-13-2014, 10:21 AM
I'll check it out since I like these types of movies, though I tend to not like the low budget sci-fi movies that Syfy (or any other production company) puts out. Science fiction movies, in the absence of some truly insightful or mind-expanding notion, needs strong visuals to make it watchable, and low budgets fail at that.

I agree, but I think they did good enough with the visuals here so it shouldn't distract. That said, I agree with the SyFy original movies, they usually suck with their visuals, but with Ronald D. Moore as an executive producer, who did Battlestar Galactica for them, I think it'll have a good budget.

Animeniax
Mon, 01-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Syfy could use another mega-hit like BSG to finance future projects. Sharknado will only get them so far. Here's hoping Helix has staying power.

Sapphire
Mon, 01-13-2014, 12:22 PM
The IRL version of Pam from Archer is in this!

Enough said.

I just hope this show has great leaps of plot development instead of some infinitely winding shit show like Lost was.... Though Lost was indeed fun while it lasted! Until the last episode.... :( :( :( where everyone was like OH GOD IT WAS PURGATORY? IT WAS PURGATORY ALL ALONGGGGGG!!!! WHY U TROLL US WRITERS? WHY? WE WERE KIDDING ABOUT THAT

I need to stop watching TV.

Munsu
Mon, 01-13-2014, 12:23 PM

Nonsense.

Animeniax
Mon, 01-13-2014, 12:43 PM
The IRL version of Pam from Archer is in this!
Does her voice sound the same? Carol's voice actor kinda sounds the same irl but sexier on the show

As someone who grew up not being allowed to watch much TV (strict Asian household), I think it detracts from your imagination and potential to not watch TV. Yes there is a lot of garbage on TV, but there's also plenty of good shows to stimulate your mind and expand your horizons.

Ryllharu
Mon, 01-13-2014, 05:31 PM
That said, I agree with the SyFy original movies, they usually suck with their visuals.
I think that for some of the SyFy Originals, the bad effects are deliberate, especially of the "mash two animals together, say it is prehistoric or from the ocean depths, and making it giant" monster movies. They're trying to channel the B-movie vibe, and bad CG is even cheaper than puppets, costumes, or Sinbad film style video editing.

Helix on the other hand, had pretty good CG imo. It didn't feel out of place at all.

@Ani: You mean Cheryl, and I think Saph just meant it looks like Pam (and is similar in demeanor), she isn't played by Amber Nash.

Animeniax
Tue, 01-14-2014, 12:19 AM
I think that for some of the SyFy Originals, the bad effects are deliberate, especially of the "mash two animals together, say it is prehistoric or from the ocean depths, and making it giant" monster movies. They're trying to channel the B-movie vibe, and bad CG is even cheaper than puppets, costumes, or Sinbad film style video editing.

Helix on the other hand, had pretty good CG imo. It didn't feel out of place at all.That does make sense if true. Since they have low budgets anyway, might as well embrace the B-movie roots of a lot of sci fi movies.

@Ani: You mean Cheryl, and I think Saph just meant it looks like Pam (and is similar in demeanor), she isn't played by Amber Nash.Haha you're right. Yesterday I watched the first couple episodes of season 1 including where she changed her name from Cheryl to Carol.

After only seeing the first 20 minutes of Helix, I see who you guys are referring to, but I don't think she really acts like Pam.