PDA

View Full Version : 2014: Happy New Year, GotWoot!

Killa-Eyez
Thu, 01-02-2014, 02:11 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/15dn9z6.pngWe made it, w00t!http://i42.tinypic.com/2gsqxl5.png

Just wanted to wish all you folks a year full of health, luck and anime! Now get ur arse back in the gym! :rolleyes:

Losing 20kg, get the job at Apple, roll into an education and delete/stop watchin pr0n are my new years resolutions... :o

What are yours!?! :confused:

enkoujin
Thu, 01-02-2014, 02:28 AM
Hate to be that guy, but if you tell people your goals, you're less likely to achieve them. Good luck, though!

Nonetheless, the only I think I need right now is to get more sleep, which will hopefully be obtained by better time management and better reinforcement of delayed gratification of staying up late.

Death BOO Z
Thu, 01-02-2014, 05:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gy7Cammisw

get my life on track.

Animeniax
Thu, 01-02-2014, 06:32 AM
Hate to be that guy, but if you tell people your goals, you're less likely to achieve them. Good luck, though!

Is this true? I'd think telling others your goals would make it more likely to achieve them because then you have peer pressure as well as internal motivation.

My resolutions are to get out more, continue to work out, and spend more and save less.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-02-2014, 06:57 AM
Is this true? I'd think telling others your goals would make it more likely to achieve them because then you have peer pressure as well as internal motivation.

I agree with Ani here. That's why I'm not going to say mine because they're not resolute enough (even when you factor in peer pressure). I'll give you a hint though. It'd to do with getting into a healthier lifestyle (waking up consistently early, fat loss etc)

Penner
Thu, 01-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Happy New Year everybody!

I'm gonna jump on the old cliché new years resolution of starting to work out again, been slacking off way too much for some time now lol

RyougaZell
Thu, 01-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Happy New Year guys :) - says Ryouga before returning to real life

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-02-2014, 12:03 PM
I should add that I want to be more motivated and active towards my future career. I have no idea how I'll go about with that, but there. Bring it on, peer pressure!

enkoujin
Thu, 01-02-2014, 07:54 PM

My resolutions are to get out more, continue to work out, and spend more and save less.

Here's a source that supports this and includes a couple of journal articles to back it up:

http://sciencereview.berkeley.edu/when-telling-others-about-your-goals-compromises-them/

Then again, peer pressure may also have an effect on achieving goals. Not sure how much impact it has, though.

Animeniax
Thu, 01-02-2014, 10:14 PM
Here's a source that supports this and includes a couple of journal articles to back it up:

http://sciencereview.berkeley.edu/when-telling-others-about-your-goals-compromises-them/

Then again, peer pressure may also have an effect on achieving goals. Not sure how much impact it has, though.

Berkeley review?? Buncha liberal hacks with their science and open-minded secular views.

Just kidding. It's weird what motivates some will hamper others. Happily for me, telling others my goals is additional motivation for me to accomplish those goals, or else feel too boastful or insincere or unmotivated. Though if that were true, I wouldn't have such a hard time getting dates.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-02-2014, 10:21 PM
That's interesting. Now that I've read it, I tend to agree with him because the whole peer pressure thing assumes that people will piss on you if you don't achieve those goals - and not many people actually do. It's true that while if you've told people your goals, got recognised and then started some training you feel a sense of accomplishment, while if you hadn't told anyone your goals your sense of accomplishment comes from actually finishing it.

Then again, this assumes that your sense of accomplishment hinders you from actually accomplishing something. The study did some tests and inferred the end result from there. It didn't actually look at how well people achieved the goals that they spoke about.

Animeniax
Thu, 01-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Then again, this assumes that your sense of accomplishment hinders you from actually accomplishing something. The study did some tests and inferred the end result from there. It didn't actually look at how well people achieved the goals that they spoke about.

Yeah as with most studies, this study assumes a lot from a very narrow set of parameters and observations. Still, what goes for most people usually doesn't hold for me, so while I can see most people quitting after getting the social approval for setting their goals, I only get that high from actually completing those goals. Maybe it's because I'm used to people doubting that I will accomplish those goals...

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-02-2014, 10:43 PM
I find that majority psychology doesn't hold for me a lot of the time as well. Money is one example. Highschool friends that I grew up with were big spenders when they were kids because they didn't have any sense of how hard it was to earn it. Once they started earning, they cut back because it was touch work for the amount they got. I was the opposite. I spent little when I was a kid because I didn't have any money to spend. Once I earned my own money, I had the money so I spent more freely. Working hard for money wasn't an issue for me. Having the money was.

Same with credit cards: A lot of traditional advice I got was that if I used a credit card (or even a debit card), I can't see the money dwindling in my wallet so I'd spend money without knowing. That's untrue for me. I dislike owing people things, so I try very hard not to use credit cards since I know the money isn't mine (and it also charges me interest if I'm late). On the other hand, money in my wallet is mine. Even if I spend it all, nothing's going to happen - I simply spent my own money. No interest, no repercussions. All mine.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 01-03-2014, 12:26 AM
Same with credit cards: A lot of traditional advice I got was that if I used a credit card (or even a debit card), I can't see the money dwindling in my wallet so I'd spend money without knowing. That's untrue for me. I dislike owing people things, so I try very hard not to use credit cards since I know the money isn't mine (and it also charges me interest if I'm late). On the other hand, money in my wallet is mine. Even if I spend it all, nothing's going to happen - I simply spent my own money. No interest, no repercussions. All mine.

Agreed exactly.

Edort4
Fri, 01-03-2014, 07:20 AM
Happy new year GotWooters!

The risk about credit cards is that lots of people (at least here after the crysis) used it to live on loaned money. It was pretty common to have 2 or 3 different credit cards with high limits (or even without limits) and families ended with huge debts and the rates of credit cards ranged from 10-25% when on red numbers. And all this happened in just a few months. With such high rates even if people wanted to save and payoff their debts they were unable and had to call bankrupcy or sell their assest like houses, appartments, cars directly to the bank/entity that gave the credit card.

Those same banks had their assest covered by central goverment so it dindt "matter" to rise the defaulting rate of families. They got goods (houses etc) and the hole in countable money was covered by central banks. Now things have stabilized a bit but having a bunch of credit cards and suffering an "unxpected" crash in 2008 crack was a fking nightmare.

Animeniax
Fri, 01-03-2014, 08:00 AM
I use credit card to pay for pretty much everything, and pay it off each month without fail. I find it's easier to budget and control spending and see where my money is going since I get the itemized statement each month and can check online daily (I keep $20 petty cash on me for small items but most months don't spend it). It helps establish control and discipline with spending, and is less dangerous than carrying cash.

toonice714
Fri, 01-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Happy new year!

MFauli
Sun, 01-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Happy new year (in here, too).

Credit cards, huh? I have one for when I absolutely need it, otherwise I use REAL money to pay. Feels good, man.

Animeniax
Sun, 01-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Happy new year (in here, too).

Credit cards, huh? I have one for when I absolutely need it, otherwise I use REAL money to pay. Feels good, man.

Feels better to know you have the money in the bank to pay off whatever you spend on the cc, plus whatever rewards program your credit card provides. Mine currently gives money back for money spent, which is usually $15-20 a month ($40 last month).

KitKat
Sun, 01-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Happy New Year my dearest GotWooters, both new and old! I love seeing your 2014 goals, and hope you all exceed them!

I am beginning this year with a new job. It's my first day tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous, but excited. I want to help invent and patent lots of cool stuff! Other goals for the year include choosing sleep over Netflix, being more consistent about working out, and allotting more time for dating. Oh, and also to go along with that last one, incorporating skirts and dresses more into my wardrobe.

Alhuin
Mon, 01-06-2014, 01:13 AM
I'm hoping 2014 is as good to me as the past 3 even-numbered years have been. It's starting out well with the new The Unguided album coming out at the end of this month, but I'm going to push it even further by at least trying to find a new place to live (come spring time). Other than that, I suppose I'd like to make more time for anime, since I didn't watch much over 2013.

Oh, and a road trip with friends. Preferably to some sort of convention. Though that one is unlikely to happen.

Kraco
Mon, 01-06-2014, 03:31 AM
I want to help invent and patent lots of cool stuff!

The world is still missing a laser based instant cookie baking machine. It's all up to you to fix that injustice, KitKat. The world is relying on you.