PDA

View Full Version : TV: Sleepy Hollow

Ryllharu
Fri, 10-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Please tell me I'm not the only one watching this.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/6545/63s6.jpg

Follows the story of Ichabod Crane, of Headless Horseman legend (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Sleepy_Hollow) "fame" who is reimagined to have been a spy working for George Washington. He kills beheads a ruthless Hessian soldier and is mortally wounded in the process. He wakes up in the modern day Sleepy Hollow and partners with Lt. Abbie Mills to stop the pending apocalypse. Tons of supernatural stuff combined with two warring ancient societies and, conspiracies everywhere, and good chemistry among the cast.

Nicole Beharie is very cute as the police lieutenant, and Tom Mison convincingly plays someone in the wrong century, but so used to weird shit that he mostly takes it in stride. It comes off well without devolving into a series of time traveler jokes (they're there, but they never overdo it).

What really stands out is how naturally the special effects just work. Either the filters they're using to film it or the lighting or whatever, the production values come off much higher than they probably are. In four episodes, there's really only been one scene where the CG is pretty obvious (if any is used at all, usually they get away without it). It's easy to compare this to Agents of SHIELD, where despite the huge backing, the effects are sometimes a little hokey.

Good cast that plays well together, interesting storyline with separate events frequently tying back together so that it ends up not being just a Monster of the Week/Supernatural Procedural affair, and quality special effects that don't overdo it or rely on CG.

This has been my favorite show airing on network TV this year, by far.

UChessmaster
Fri, 10-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Does the headless horseman makes an actual appearance?

Ryllharu
Fri, 10-11-2013, 07:35 PM
In the very first episode. He should be back at some point too.

No flaming pumpkin head though, but supernaturally-heated axe and hatchet instead.

Sapphire
Sun, 10-13-2013, 09:25 AM
You mean this is worth watching (rather than the latest cheesy mccrap crap to help pass time?)? A classmate of mine is watching this.

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-13-2013, 10:35 AM
McCrap Crap?

Well, for one, it isn't on CW, ABC Family, or TNT.

Alhuin
Sun, 10-13-2013, 11:09 AM
I'm watching, but I haven't quite figured out how much I like it. The direction they're going is interesting; a new spin on an old legend. However, without the horseman, and being in modern day, it just feels like a supernatural mystery show (kinda like, well, Supernatural), with the name "Sleepy Hollow" tacked on.

I do like Ichabod's character though. Much more intelligent and brave than his legendary counterpart.

I'll watch until the end, if for nothing more than to know how it ends. Plus, my coworkers are watching, so it's great conversation material.

Munsu
Wed, 12-25-2013, 10:39 AM
I'm watching, but I haven't quite figured out how much I like it. The direction they're going is interesting; a new spin on an old legend. However, without the horseman, and being in modern day, it just feels like a supernatural mystery show (kinda like, well, Supernatural), with the name "Sleepy Hollow" tacked on.

I do like Ichabod's character though. Much more intelligent and brave than his legendary counterpart.

I'll watch until the end, if for nothing more than to know how it ends. Plus, my coworkers are watching, so it's great conversation material.

This is pretty much where I'm at with this show. Not a fan of the female lead though, doesn't do anything for me, though I find her sister much more interesting. But it seems like the show is trying to make her and Ichabod a couple at some point, and it just doesn't seem like the right way to go for this show. But whatever, I've been enjoying those show enough to keep going.

FOX has had a bunch of turds in their channel since they cancelled 24 and Prison Break, so I guess it's good to finally see something worth watching on that channel again, even if it's not the best thing out there.

Alhuin
Wed, 12-25-2013, 01:13 PM
FOX has had a bunch of turds in their channel since they cancelled 24, Prison Break, House and Lie to Me, so I guess it's good to finally see something worth watching on that channel again, even if it's not the best thing out there.

Fixed for you.

I've honestly stopped watching the show until the season ends and I can marathon it. Ichabod's character is not enough to interest me weekly anymore. Like Bud, I dislike the female lead. I feel she useless, and I hate the hinted "couple" plot the show has going on (Ichabod's witch wife is so much better). I was really hoping this series would be like a second Supernatural, but it's severely lacking.

Supposedly it's already been renewed for a second season. Hopefully the end of this season will be enough to warrant that.

Sapphire
Wed, 12-25-2013, 01:23 PM

Until the end?! That's quite a commitment, considering these types of shows don't end.

They just get cancelled.

I like the female lead, especially after seeing her deal with Michael Fassbender's erectile dysfunction in Shame (2011). I'm not really feeling this show compared to Almost Human, though. Did it get out of it's "Monster of the Week" habit yet? Scandal managed to, so this show can too.

Alhuin
Wed, 12-25-2013, 01:32 PM
That's true... watching until the end is quite a commitment. I failed it with Bleach and Naruto (but then again, who didn't), so I'll probably fail with a network television show that I don't find interesting.

But like I said, if the end of this season justifies having a second, then maybe it won't be so bad.

Also, like I mentioned in my post before yours, I'm just going to marathon the series instead of watching weekly. Should make it easier.