PDA

View Full Version : Nagi no Asukara

Kraco
Fri, 10-11-2013, 03:45 AM
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4452/wz8t.jpg

"Long ago, humanity lived in the sea. But the humans who longed for the land left the sea behind. They cast aside the special raiment they'd been given by the sea god that let them live in the ocean. The thinking of the sea humans and the land humans became as separate as the places they lived, and as countless time passed, they forgot they were once one people. This will change as the land-dwelling human Tsumugu Kihara befriends four students who live in a village at the bottom of the sea." -ANN

DL: Episode 1v3 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=479610) | Episode 2 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=481763) - Underwater-Vivid
Links: AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=9387) | ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=14858) | Official (http://www.nagiasu.jp/)
Genres: drama, fantasy, romance

- - - - - - -- -- - -

This looks like one of the shows few but I and Ryll would pay special attention to here at Gotwoot. That is, calm and with a unique atmosphere of its own. Although this hasn't actually been quite as calm as I thought. In fact, I expected this to be nothing but a picturesque fantasy of strange underwater lifestyle (and merely to contrast it the normal dry land habitation), but this seems to be as much about racism, bullying, the troubles of conservative thinking, modern stress, cultural degradation, depopulation of rural areas... So, not as calm as I thought. However, considering how I had to fight against falling asleep while watching the latest Tamayura, I reckon I prefer a little conflict after all. My only misgivings are caused by the intense love polygon that seems to be brewing and involving every central character of the show.

Voicing the main characters are: Manaka by the ever popular Hanazawa Kana (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=176) who hardly needs introductions, Hikari by Hanae Natsuki (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=31313) (Kiri of Crime Edge, Wien of Tari Tari), Chisaki by Kayano Ai (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=20497) (Ooe Kanade of Chihayafuru, Lucy of Servant X Service), Kaname by Oosaka Ryouta (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=29979) (Maou of Hataraku, Marco of Titan), and Tsumugu by Ishikawa Kaito (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=34296) (Ledo of Gargantia). I have no complaints about their performance.

So far this looks like one of the more interesting shows this season, not that the competition would have looked awesomely fierce, to be honest. Unless this turns really sour drama wise (which I doubt), I'm sure to keep watching this.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-11-2013, 04:33 AM
I'm liking it so far.

David75
Sat, 10-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Same here.
Part of the show has a nice poetic feeling to it, eventhough the tales of the past and the rules of the present remind us human tribes are really uncivilised.
Tsugumu probably is the one leading the show in the right direction. But I don't know yet wether he was or will have feelings for Manaka. It felt like he loves her for what she is-like anything sea related-, rather than have feelings for her yet.

Regarding the childhood friend, although I understand where he comes from, his tsundere side really is gritting.

All in all, it's really nice to watch for now.

Kraco
Fri, 10-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Episode 3 - Underwater-Vivid (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=483992)

- - - - -- - - ---

I totally didn't see the revelation of the last scene coming, that the kids were harassing Akari not because of some childish racism (because they are indeed kids), but because Akari was actually dating a man with a child - and maybe a wife, who knows? He seemed to hesitate about the question of marrying Akari.

This show is working pretty wonderfully.

David75
Fri, 10-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Yup, the pace and plot lines are nice.
Now we know why the village rules are so strict.

Regarding folklore, particularly the maiden sacrifices to the sea God. I wonder if it was really a sacrifice. Maybe those girls were in fact given the ability to breathe under water. But the condition was to never set foot on land again. So for surface people they were as good as dead, explaining the sacrifice naming.
That would be a practice giving more females to the village so that its population can grow.

Last but not least, I did not expect the geezer to be a former village guy
It explains why Tsumugu knows so much.
Back to the folklore idea... I wonder if Tsumugu would be compatible with the process giving him ENA.
That would be nice tom have Akari choosing to go to the surface, the geezer who did the same and Tsumugu choosimg the village. So that it's not just some mysogynic custom and show choice.

Kraco
Fri, 10-18-2013, 05:28 PM
I think it would be pretty bold to assume that it would be possible to migrate the other way. After all, they did make quite a dramatic historical point of the people moving to the dry land to seek their fortune and losing the ability to live in the sea. That's also the general atmosphere, and one reason why the sea folks are so careful not to dry too much: Because there's apparently no way to recover after the utmost limit.

But yeah, otherwise it would be quite cool if Tsumugu could sink to the bottom instead of Manaka becoming a landlubber.

Ryllharu
Fri, 10-18-2013, 05:39 PM
These episodes are surprisingly dense, something I always like to see in anime series.

I'm glad Hikari stopped being a total dick to Tsumugu, and after the consultation between Manaka and Chsaki, Hikari even seems a little less possessive of Manaka. Hikari seems to have understood that she likes Tsumugu in that way, and the most he will ever be is her best friend. Strangely, as Tsumugu grows closer to the sea-kids, I wonder if he is a bit of an outcast on land too. The other children gave the five of them an odd look that morning they were all chatting. Perhaps it is common knowledge among the surface people that Tsumugu's family is led by a banished sea-village man.

As for the Akari plotline, it is impossible not to feel sad for her, but with the reveal at the end, there may be a lot more going on than we realize. However, I was disappointed that Hikari didn't hug her as she started to lose it. She definitely needed the comfort. He's nowhere near the asshole he was the first two episodes, but that would have been a nice touch to the story they were going with in this episode.

Kraco
Sat, 10-19-2013, 01:50 AM
Strangely, as Tsumugu grows closer to the sea-kids, I wonder if he is a bit of an outcast on land too. The other children gave the five of them an odd look that morning they were all chatting.

At least Tsumugu seems like the strong, cool & silent type, so I can't see him getting bullied. But then again, even the sea kids haven't been bullied that much of late.

As for the Akari plotline, it is impossible not to feel sad for her, but with the reveal at the end, there may be a lot more going on than we realize. However, I was disappointed that Hikari didn't hug her as she started to lose it. She definitely needed the comfort. He's nowhere near the asshole he was the first two episodes, but that would have been a nice touch to the story they were going with in this episode.

To be fair I can't see a guy of that age hugging his sister very easily (or anyone, for that matter). Especially one with his kind of aggressive, bravado filled personality.

Kraco
Fri, 10-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Episode 4 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=486322)

- - - - - ----

A fine episode. Sometimes Tsumugu feels a bit unfair character, always being so cool, composed, and correct while everybody else is making mistakes or being hasty, but I guess he needs to be like that for the plot to work. After all, he's the bridge character between the sea and land folks, so both sides need to respect him at least to a degree. Still, I have to say the way Hikari and the dude made up was far better than any smooth and (physically) painless way Tsumugu could have come up with. Somebody needs to fix the doors, though: I don't think they are supposed to come off their rails like that.

It's pretty funny it seems to me like Hikari already won over Miuna. The whole relatioship mess was far less a mess than everybody made it out to be. The wife is three years dead already, so it's not exactly strange for the widower to be looking at other women. Maybe the case will be solved when Miuna comes to think she will get a cool onii-chan in Hikari if she accepts Akari.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-25-2013, 10:10 AM
The relationship mess was like a fake out. The background story was actually fine, but then again, the main story is absolutely chaotic.

Does Isaki actually like Chisaki? Nothing blatant says so, but any anime/manga/LN/VN fan knows it is practically solid.

I usually hate characters like Hikari (though I obviously love the name) because they are straightforward and simple, but being able to be this honest and true deserves admiration.

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-26-2013, 06:25 AM
Any ideas what the "I know, Lord Sea God. We can't let the surface have the people of the sea right now," meant?

That line was rather ominous.

Kraco
Sat, 10-26-2013, 06:39 AM
Yeah. I thought maybe they are considering stopping the underwater human way of life. The society seems to be deteriorating anyway, with lack of children, lack of marriage partners, lack of work... Maybe they are waiting for the appropriate moment to end it all and migrate all the sea people to the dry land. After all, once the (working age) population has dropped below a certain point, they can't anymore maintain a decent quality of life. They would get demoralised well before that, as well.

But since tensions are still high, the time is not yet at hand.

I hope Manaka will invite Tsumugu for a visit at some point. He could just borrow diving equipment like Akari's man.

Kraco
Fri, 11-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Episode 5 - Underwater-Vivid (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=488731)

- - - - - -

I don't know why, but for some reason I thought unnecessarily harshly of Miuna. Her reason for not accepting Akari was really cute, in the end. I guess the fact she's a tiny ice queen allowed her to keep up the harassment to drive Akari away. Hikari managed to solve the issue quite smoothly, especially considering he's not any giant of intelligence. But I suppose he was able to see all the sides of it and Miuna clearly started to like him as well. In any case I'm glad that issue seems to be over, with Akari looking like she's again ready to leave the sea.

I'm happy Tsumugu played no role. He's too competent as it is (I'm not complaining, he's the coolest of the characters).

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-02-2013, 05:56 AM
I think Hikari really redeemed himself the last couple of episodes. He was such a little prick in the first two, but he's probably grown more mature faster than anyone else in the series. He had some really cool lines to Akari this episode, Miuna too.

On the downside, Akari's crying did get a bit over the top and shrill. It kinda killed the immersion just a bit. Her VA is better than that.

I'm not sure what to make of the Chisaki plotline yet. Of course, I'm always on the side of the overdeveloped jilted girls. Speaking of which, Kayano Ai seems to always play the busty (or even bustiest) character of late. It's hard to say if Manaka is really upset or not. She doesn't really view Hikari as a boyfriend kind of thing, because she's not really emotionally mature. While Manaka is definitely more attracted to Tsumugu, she really only sees Hikari as her closest male friend.

I do wish that Kaname got more screen time or development. He's basically the Shioshishio equivalent of Tsumugu. Calm, collected and wise, but it feels like they forgot to give him a personality. We basically don't know anything about him.

Kraco
Sat, 11-02-2013, 06:16 AM
I'm not sure what to make of the Chisaki plotline yet. Of course, I'm always on the side of the overdeveloped jilted girls. Speaking of which, Kayano Ai seems to always play the busty (or even bustiest) character of late. It's hard to say if Manaka is really upset or not. She doesn't really view Hikari as a boyfriend kind of thing, because she's not really emotionally mature. While Manaka is definitely more attracted to Tsumugu, she really only sees Hikari as her closest male friend.

I'm sure Manaka acted like she did because she was embarrassed over hearing something she wasn't meant to hear, plus, like you said, she's so immature she simply didn't know how to react. I'd be very surprised if there was even 1% of jealousy over there. I wonder if Chisaki realises she needs to do something proactive if she dreams of getting forward. Supporting Manaka is admirable, but in the end love is selfish business. But maybe she believes she would hate herself if she tried to drive Manaka and Tsumugu together to get Hikari for herself.

I do wish that Kaname got more screen time or development. He's basically the Shioshishio equivalent of Tsumugu. Calm, collected and wise, but it feels like they forgot to give him a personality. We basically don't know anything about him.

Kaname? Who's that? Haha, yeah, I don't really see what his role is in all this. He hasn't basically done anything at all. Is he there simply to build the polygon but nothing more?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-14-2013, 07:28 AM
HS - Episode 06 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=490838)

-----------------------------

This show's ED is beautiful. So is Chisaki. :p

Any ideas what the "I know, Lord Sea God. We can't let the surface have the people of the sea right now," meant?

It sounded to me like they can't have any more sea->land migrations because their society is/will break down if they do so any further. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the land people also stopped giving offerings this year (the school did it on their own accord), and the offering actually does have some tangible effect on Shioshishio life.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 11-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Hikari should just give up on the Tsumugu fanatic and go for the loli. It would make for really fun family dynamics.

Kraco
Thu, 11-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Hikari should just give up on the Tsumugu fanatic and go for the loli. It would make for really fun family dynamics.

Hah hah. You reckon Miuna actually fell for Hikari? It's pretty clear she likes him in some way, but maybe not romantically. I hope not. It would be immature infatuation she would never confess, and Hikari would hardly reciprocate either if she did.

The underwater community seems to be finished anyway, so I don't think the words were meant to refer to saving it, but perhaps saving the individuals still left.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-14-2013, 12:24 PM
HS - Episode 07 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=493030)

----------------------------------------------

The underwater community seems to be finished anyway, so I don't think the words were meant to refer to saving it, but perhaps saving the individuals still left.

Why would you need to save the individuals? The Messenger himself seemed pretty alright with freezing them, so he seemed more interested in preserving their bloodline or just keeping them physically "intact" underwater than trying to promote their wellbeing.

Remind me if they've already covered this and I missed something: Sea people can survive just fine above water, as far as we've seen. Their Ena develops cracks after some time without seawater, but we've yet to see some lethal repercussions. Do they lose their Ena permamently if they're dry for too long? Gramps kept his. It may either be a visual residue that serves no function, or he kept his functional Ena due to his work, so his keeping it doesn't rule out the lose-Ena hypothesis completely.

Manaka couldn't put Hikari's change into words, but it's basically trying hard to do something he doesn't care about/like for someone else. As an adult you've got to do that sometimes, but I'm not sure I agree with what's happening here. It's definitely not all that healthy if he's forcing himself. He'll turn into a Chisaki at this rate.

Kraco
Sat, 11-16-2013, 06:09 AM
I believe it has been said the ena will simply cease to function, if not disappear, and they can't ever go back to living in the sea. I'm not anymore sure of the sea god's intentions. However, it's still clear the sea city is already finished. These kids seem to be pretty much the only children, as the sea school closed down already when the transferred. Akari commented how difficult it's to find work or partners undersea, so the only chance is to go to dry land. What future does such a community have? None at all. It might be the sea god doesn't want to end it before they have (all) realised there's not much difference between the land and sea people and are in some sort of harmony. Otherwise every person leaving the sea will only make the remaining sea people more and more angry and the land people gleeful thinking they have bested the "enemy" once again.

Or at least I seriously hope it's something like that. Otherwise the sea god would be really petty and not worth any ceremonies.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-16-2013, 09:08 AM
I believe it has been said the ena will simply cease to function, if not disappear, and they can't ever go back to living in the sea.

I had a look at ep1 and ep3 (where Ena cracks, and inheritance is explained respectively), and it hasn't been explicitly explained. It does make sense that if Ena cracks when its dry that you can eventually lose it all. Whether it will regenerate (when partially or completely lost) is another matter. I don't expect them to go into further details on this though. Physiology seems be just a pretext to all the drama.

Kraco
Sat, 11-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Episode 8 - Underwater-Vivid (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=495570)

- - - - - - - - -

This is the kind of show where nothing is easy. At least some of the characters still try to stay smiling despite all the hardships. I'm starting to get a bit annoyed by Chisaki, though. She's advicing and encouraging other people all the time, but fails consistently 100% to follow her own advice. Plus her ever more morbid mood is beginning to poison even the encouragement she tries to deal out. At least she hasn't tried to do anything to undermine Tsumugu directly, to maintain her nothing should change wish, since Tsumugu obviously doesn't belong to her circle. Tsumugu is as crafty as ever, not really doing anything much but still managing to be at the right place at the right time and helping everybody. I do hope he gets more proactive at some point, chasing Manaka, but who knows. Since everybody else is having problems of some sort, I can't help but wonder if he hasn't got as well.

At least the Itaru+Akari+Miuna family is shaping up nicely, finally. But let's see if the sea god and Eroko can't still somehow try to sabotage that.

Kraco
Sat, 11-30-2013, 05:05 AM
Episode 9 - Underwater-Vivid (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=498044)

-- - - - - - - - -

Though all evidence is still quite insubstantial at best, but the sea god is starting to look more and more like the petty gods of the classical age. I suppose the final decisive factor is whether the calamity is going to be natural and the sea folks simply decided not to share the info with the surface people (because the older folks of both places mostly seem like scumbags for some mysterious reason) or if it's indeed something produced by the sea god because people don't worship him enough anymore. If it's the latter, then it's especially nasty considering how hard the students were working to make the ceremony happen. The end of this ep didn't really make the calamity sound like a tsunami or something, so I don't know why it's so urgent a deal. Nevertheless, I don't see how Hikari would ever agree not to inform at least his sister. Manaka is kind of weak, so I could see how her parents might successfully prevent her from informing Tsumugu at the very least.

Tsumugu failing to communicate with Chisaki was a welcome scene; the dude has been pulling off everything so perfectly so far that he could use a failure. Not to say Chisaki wouldn't have been just as guilty, but she's a wreck anyway, so it was to be expected.

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-30-2013, 05:37 AM
But he 'doesn't dislike the way she is right now'. That doesn't bode well for Chisaki's long term plans. It's actually the worst possible outcome.

It was nice to see Akari already slipping into the mother role.

The really weird part for me Sayu falling for Kaname. Unexpected to say the least. I guess she's so hot headed she likes "cool" guys.

Kraco
Sat, 11-30-2013, 06:24 AM
But he 'doesn't dislike the way she is right now'. That doesn't bode well for Chisaki's long term plans. It's actually the worst possible outcome.

True. I was mainly commenting on how the scene went superficially, that Tsumugu didn't manage to calm down Chisaki and return her to the boat building. It's still more than likely Tsumugu was correct, as always, and Chisaki hates him all the more because she knows it herself.

The really weird part for me Sayu falling for Kaname. Unexpected to say the least. I guess she's so hot headed she likes "cool" guys.

It's possible she's so hot-headed she fell for him in the instant he treated them like princesses. In addition to what you said. Naturally it also means she will forget him just as soon.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-30-2013, 07:39 AM
If it's the latter, then it's especially nasty considering how hard the students were working to make the ceremony happen.

I don't think it's to do with the lack of ceremony, since you can't actually have a "lack of ceremony" until the ceremonial date passes without anything happening. It's somehow to do with people leaving Shioshihio permanently that's causing this phenomenon. From what we know thus far, I wonder if the idea is to make the surface so cold that the sea is the only habitable place on the planet. Humans won't be able to live in the sea, but at least it'll maintain the current Shioshishio population.

Hmm, I don't feel the same way since the clues were dropped in when Kaname told her off for destroying the props. I was already under the impression a few episodes ago that she was falling for Kaname in exactly the same way that her friend was falling for Hikari.

Kraco
Fri, 12-06-2013, 05:56 AM
Episode 10 - Underwater-Vivid (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=499785)

- - - - - - - - - -

This episode had kind of a funny atmosphere. It would have worked differently if this had been located in the distant past, but as it is happening in modern times, it all sounded like nothing but religious mumbo jumbo and hysteria, especially when Hikari tried to preach about it on the dry land. Not to mention modern world is connected. Although we haven't seen the world of this show beyond that small town by the sea and the bigger one some ways off, but considering they have cars and everything, there has to be a wider world out there. That one student also indicated so by saying she wanted to travel overseas. So, why would this single village matter so much? Even more so the undersea village that apparently only has a few dozen people left. If that's everything that has kept the sea god floating, it certainly shouldn't be a god powerful enough to either doom or save the whole world.

I hope the boat drift ceremony will still happen, regardless. We have been hearing about it for the duration of the whole show, so it would be a pity to miss it entirely.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Thumbs up to Kaname.

I see where Kraco is coming from, but I am able to suspend my disbelief in this regard.

Ryllharu
Sat, 12-07-2013, 11:50 AM
You want to talk about suspension of disbelief? Mine has been eroded episode after episode to the point where I'm spending a lot of the time focused on all the things in the background.

Why?

Buoyancy. Things that should float, don't.

Salinity really can change things, but not to the degree, and certainly not in that direction. The higher the salinity, the higher things float, that's how hydrometers used for water work (specific gravity, blah blah, etc.).

You can easily ignore all the stuff with the people because Ena is this amazing thing. But anyone who played in a bathtub as a child or swam in pool should notice something wrong, all over the place. Weights can only do so much.

But there is also the house layouts, the kitchens specifically. They still use sinks...while immersed in water! Foods don't float right off the plates! Liquids are poured into glasses...Alcohol is lighter than water!

They got as far as the sacred fire...but didn't go far enough. I'm empathizing with the characters, generally enjoy the story, but this is an anime series, it's not that hard to pull off a few better designs. They do it for space series all the time.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-12-2013, 11:53 PM
They got as far as the sacred fire...but didn't go far enough. I'm empathizing with the characters, generally enjoy the story, but this is an anime series, it's not that hard to pull off a few better designs. They do it for space series all the time.

For me this is a fantasy series as opposed to a sci-fi one, so all this water-dwelling stuff might as well be magic. That makes things much more forgivable.

HS - Episode 11 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=501756)

Kraco
Fri, 12-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Is it going to be an ice age or something? But that hardly develops so fast that the abrupt decision to start hibernating seems appropriate. Though the sea village being buried in salt flakes might be such an inconvenience they don't have much choice. Regardless, every time the dry land is shown I still can't help but feel it's nothing but religious hysteria. Not to mention I almost feel insulted every time those happy southern island dwellers talk about the temperature dropping.

Somehow it's only feeling more and more like romantically nobody but Akari & Itaru are going to get happy, while all the main characters will be left unsatisfied. Tsumugu isn't really helping the situation by only sticking his nose in other people's business but not having any business of his own.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-13-2013, 10:11 AM
It's going to be an ice age. The sea is already becoming one and I'd expect it to require hibernating within a year max at this rate. The surface.. maybe a couple more years or a decade? Nevertheless it would follow. I'm not sure what's stopping the kids from living on land (while taking salt baths) until the land becomes uninhabitable. Perhaps the village be buried in 20m of snow?

Kraco
Fri, 12-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Episode 12 - Underwater-Vivid (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=504176)

- - - - - - -

Despite being such a straightforward, observant know-it-all Tsumugu does produce some funny scenes occasionally, or perhaps exactly because he's like that. Like the very end of this ep, asking Manaka what's wrong when she's, again, hanging in the air in the fishing net. I guess being so observant allowed him to immediately deduce something's bothering Manaka, aside from getting fished out of water like a fish, but from an outsider's pov the scene was getting pretty close to the legendary Utawarerumono scene of a soldier directing that question at another soldier who was lying on the ground with arrows sticking out his back.

Such a fine unidirectional chain of romantic intests in any case. I wonder how this is all going to end.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 12-20-2013, 02:27 PM
But Manaka thought of Hikari. There might still be one happy couple born from this.

Kraco
Fri, 12-20-2013, 03:03 PM
But Manaka thought of Hikari. There might still be one happy couple born from this.

Maybe, but that would leave Tsumugu alone, and to be honest it would be kind of lame if the sea kids all paired with each other. While Hikari has got considerably better of late, I still can't forget how annoying he was in the beginning, making Tsumugu look all the better in comparison.

Still, if the sea folks go to sleep and wake up 200 years in the future, I guess it's all a moot point.

Anyway, I was all the time thinking this is a 13 eps show and thus the next ep would present an ending not altogether happy and fluffy, but now that I checked it the ep count's bloody full 26.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 12-20-2013, 08:05 PM
I actually think Tsumugu is extremely boring. He is like the ultimate Gary Stu with perfect timing in this show.

David75
Sat, 12-21-2013, 04:02 AM
If it's a 10 years sleep, the underage girls will be the right age. Even more if the sea people age a little in the process, like 0.5 speed.

Only Tsumugu would lose a great deal, or not as he might get a late teen manaka when he's in his late 20s... Or he gets someone else since he'd have ten years of life and experiences. And that is a lot when you're a teenager.

Kraco
Sat, 12-21-2013, 05:31 AM
I actually think Tsumugu is extremely boring. He is like the ultimate Gary Stu with perfect timing in this show.

He is, but at least he's competent. He complements the cast, which wouldn't otherwise have his type of character. We have an airhead, a hothead, a negative one, and... what exactly is Kaname? A whisperer who says things the others would rather leave unsaid.

If it's a 10 years sleep, the underage girls will be the right age. Even more if the sea people age a little in the process, like 0.5 speed.

Why would they only sleep 10 years? Hardly anything can happen in a time so short. It has to be centuries, surely, if they are sleeping to wake up when things are better again.

Ryllharu
Sat, 12-21-2013, 08:36 AM
I don't know if I only noticed it these last couple episodes, but the slight echo that makes it sound like voices are travelling further underwater helps a bit to make up for the buoyancy problem I had (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php/22698-Nagi-no-Asukara?p=537244&viewfull=1#post537244).

I actually think Tsumugu is extremely boring. He is like the ultimate Gary Stu with perfect timing in this show.With this series now being 26 episodes, they've started to expand on his character. The extremely uncomfortable scene with his mother was quite telling that beneath that calm, knowing, aura, some things are not at all well.

Only Tsumugu would lose a great deal, or not as he might get a late teen manaka when he's in his late 20s... Or he gets someone else since he'd have ten years of life and experiences. And that is a lot when you're a teenager.

Why would they only sleep 10 years? Hardly anything can happen in a time so short. It has to be centuries, surely, if they are sleeping to wake up when things are better again.
For a while, I was hoping that the hibernation wouldn't occur, but now I'm really looking forward to it and desperately hoping that it is both short, and extremely asymmetric. They've been foreshadowing that possibility heavily, restating every episode that people won't wake up at the same time necessarily.

I'd love to see all of them fall asleep, but because Hikari has been eating (as have the others to a lesser degree) wake up at mostly different times, with the rest of the Shishishioshishishi residents remaining in hibernation. Perhaps something with the town now regularly performing the ceremony, and thus messing with the stability of their hibernation.

It would be great to see Hikari and Kaname wake up first, but now having Miuna and Sayu be high schoolers middle schoolers in the same year. Then you'd have Chisaki wake up a few months after to make a mess of things. Manaka would stay asleep. The downside to that would be that it would be really unfair to Tsumugu, but honestly I'm not sure he really cares about Manaka that way. Then again, there's been plenty of romances with a large age gap, even in this series. Akari is much younger than her soon-to-be husband.

Side note: I'm really starting to like Sayu's character, when I used to find her annoying. She dresses rather femininely when compared to Miuna, and is certainly a little more emotionally mature than her as well (because she knows she wants Kaname, just describes it as being "evil" instead of being in love, hah).

Despite that, she's a huge tomboy. She headbutted Hikari's father...

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-21-2013, 10:10 AM
This is 26 episodes? Fantastic.

I was wondering how they were going to conclude this in the remaining 1 or 2 episodes, but an entire cour is more than enough.

Ryllharu
Thu, 12-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Nagi no Asukara - 13 [underwater-vivid] (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=506168)

-----------------

Hmm. What an abrupt change in tone. Things were going steadily, and led me to believe that the ceremony would occur, but not change anything. Instead, the Sea God decided he very much did want a new bride. He's a bit of a vengeful dick, ain't he? Manaka was right, recently it deliberately has been trying to take back Akari or otherwise separate loved ones unless they both happen to be sea dwellers. The only way to save Akari was to sacrifice someone else. The Sea God also took out his wrath on construction. Only one column though, just enough to be a pain in the ass.

I'm quite confused as to what will happen now. Kaname might be dead, though I suspect he was dragged down like Manaka was, the underwater town is now sealed off in holy ice or whatever, and Chisaki is trapped on the surface. Hikari's fate is presently unknown.

Kaname didn't seem too happy about Chisaki being concerned about Tsumugu, which was a bit odd. She wasn't panicking about him romantically, she was panicking about him as a friend who can't breathe underwater. Yet Kaname was devastated by the sight of Tsumugu being allowed to use Chisaki's plump thighs as a pillow. I didn't see why that was a big deal to him, especially considering he helped her save Tsumugu, but it was.

The scene before the OP was also interesting. Manaka referred to Tsumugu as the Sun. Normally a very romantic line, but this was followed up by what the Sun means to Manaka, which is quite the opposite. To her, the Sun is a radiant, amazing thing, but something that she knows she can never be allowed to reach. Was she actually telling him that they can never be anything more than friends? Quite the unexpected shift.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 12-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Kaname didn't seem too happy about Chisaki being concerned about Tsumugu, which was a bit odd. She wasn't panicking about him romantically, she was panicking about him as a friend who can't breathe underwater. Yet Kaname was devastated by the sight of Tsumugu being allowed to use Chisaki's plump thighs as a pillow. I didn't see why that was a big deal to him, especially considering he helped her save Tsumugu, but it was.

Because Kaname is the most perceptive of them. Ever since that line Gary Stu said to Chisaki (I like the current you or something to that effect), Chisaki has been more conscious of him romantically, blushing at one time when they made physical contact. Now she panics when she sees Tsumugu fall, but didn't when all her close friends started diving in the rumbling ocean. This is understandable because Tsumugu is human, but her panic still felt it went a little beyond friendly concern, especially due to the short time they have known each other.

Also, it wasn't a lap pillow. Chisaki was embracing Tsumugu to her chest and pressing her face against his head dearly. It felt like something a lover or at least a close family member would do in that situation. Kaname's surprise and pain from that scene is perfectly understandable.

David75
Fri, 12-27-2013, 01:07 AM
Someone explain why Akari suddenly is unable to breathe underwater when her Ena seems fine if the ena-glowing fabric is any indication?

How can you feel any sense of danger in those scenes for Hikari, Manaka and Akari?
Even Kaname's fall was dull, until the pillar was like falling on him.

Only Tsumugu's predicament was something to worry about.
And maybe Manaka hitting sea ground at high speed.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 12-27-2013, 01:22 AM
Someone explain why Akari suddenly is unable to breathe underwater when her Ena seems fine if the ena-glowing fabric is any indication.

Why would you say she was unable to breathe? She was unconscious and descending, but I never thought she couldn't breathe.

David75
Fri, 12-27-2013, 01:44 AM
It doesn't seem like she had any physical hit when she was thrown out of the ship.
So it's a little strange she would faint.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 12-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Being thrown out of a ship is a physical hit.

People faint for far less.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-27-2013, 04:51 AM
When Akari mentioned that she would like to be the figurehead instead just like the old days, I thought she was slightly insincere in that she wasn't really prepared to sacrifice herself (or was she? She was unconscious so we won't know). I wasn't fully expecting something to happen during the ceremony though.

I... actually rather approve of Chisaki x Tsumugu for some reason. Maybe it's because they both have a physically mature look, or because of their previous exchanges. Despite their time together, Kaname and Chisaki had very little heart-openning interactions. That's partly because while Kaname may arguably be even more perceptive than Tsumugu, he's been far less helpful.

There's no need to be sad though. He's still got Sayu.

Ryllharu
Fri, 12-27-2013, 05:51 AM
There's no need to be sad though. He's still got Sayu.
Sayu is definitely, definitely more evil than Chisaki! :3

How can you feel any sense of danger in those scenes for Hikari, Manaka and Akari?
Even Kaname's fall was dull, until the pillar was like falling on him.

Only Tsumugu's predicament was something to worry about.
And maybe Manaka hitting sea ground at high speed.I would say Hikari's level of panic was a good indicator. The sea god was stealing Akari, and the two of them know exactly what he's capable of because he's nearly killed them once already when they tried to leave. I would say the others responded accordingly.

Kraco
Mon, 12-30-2013, 06:20 PM
That's partly because while Kaname may arguably be even more perceptive than Tsumugu, he's been far less helpful.

Kaname's actions are muddled by his own interests. So, even if he was as perceptive as Tsumugu, he won't act exactly like that. Tsumugu, however, hasn't really shown really personal interest in anyone beyond what his concept of a friend would do. He has helped them all equally, whenever necessary. Maybe his troubled past is the reason or maybe he simply has such a personality, lacking all passion.

An interesting episode in any case. It was given something would happen to ruin the ceremony plans, but once again I've to admit the sea god's pettiness surprised me.

Ryllharu
Thu, 01-09-2014, 09:03 PM
[HorribleSubs] Nagi no Asukara - 14 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=510190)

---------------

This series has been quite cruel to poor Chisaki, who didn't really deserve it.

I was close (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php/22698-Nagi-no-Asukara?p=537609&viewfull=1#post537609).

It would be great to see Hikari and Kaname wake up first, but now having Miuna and Sayu be high schoolers middle schoolers in the same year. Then you'd have Chisaki wake up a few months after to make a mess of things. Manaka would stay asleep. The downside to that would be that it would be really unfair to Tsumugu, but honestly I'm not sure he really cares about Manaka that way.
Miuna and Sayu are indeed middle schoolers now, and Sayu's now-serious outlook is a little cliché and disappointing. Hopefully that will change a little when Kaname wakes up. Sayu being a lovesick spaz was half the fun of her character.

I'm really impressed with Miuna. She consoled Akari right away. All of the anxiety she felt about calling her "mother" disappeared immediately, and she was able to let Akari rebuild a family without too much disruption. She kept things stable while Akari lost it, and the flexibility Miuna gave her was something Akari definitely needed more than anything, thinking everything going wrong was her fault. Long hair is a plus too, though I can't help but feel she's been keeping it close to a specific length (Manaka's specifically) as a way to entice Hikari upon his return. Rejecting the boy was fantastic, and I liked the way she went right for it, despite Tsumugu telling her CPR doesn't do a lot (if anything) for sea-folk. It's hard not to root for Miuna now that she has the age advantage, and Manaka will presumably stay asleep from the new OP.

But Chisaki...she had it rough. She was left as the sole-singular sea-folk. Akari is a surface dweller with her own family now, as stated, and Tsumugu's grandfather is too. I don't think she really deserved 5 years of suffering, but she's made a life of her own now. Unfortunately, she's now close to 20 (coming of age ceremony referenced) as is Tsumugu and the rest of the surface classmates. Even if she wanted to rekindle things with Hikari, I don't think she ever would. Not could, would. Chisaki is the type to get bothered by age gaps. I also liked that she refused to see the Tomoebi, because it wasn't the same without the other three.

Moreover, it seems she and Tsumugu have grown close over the years. They're family, but at the same time, they're a lot more than family.

I do wonder what woke Hikari. Was it the Tomoebi (I couldn't tell whether or not it was a regular occurrence or something that only happens every few years, despite frequently happening underwater), or was it Miuna wishing she could be reunited with her lost love? How much is the Sea God continuing to meddle in the relationships of young ones?

At least Chisaki is legal now. It's not creepy to be attracted to her anymore!

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-09-2014, 11:31 PM
Nagi no Asu Kara - I have a dark horse feeling about this one. Reminds me of AnoHana.

And the feeling is correct.

I am so glad there are still original anime who try to challenge plot twists like this one without delving into surprise randomness.

David75
Fri, 01-10-2014, 12:49 AM
It does seem Tsumugu likes Chisaki. Wether she someday shares the same feelings or not is all up to her.
Miuna closing the age gap with Hikari is a really good thing, and I loved how bold she was, Hikari yelling Manaka's name was surely a big hit, but at least she got to kiss him first!
Now the question is at what rate the others will keep coming. I guess it will be a mater of months, couple of years. Or the dynamics of the story might not work very well if the age difference between sea people gets too wide.
I guess Kaname waking up as a young teen when chisaki is already a full grown woman will come as a shock. He never had his chances when they were the same age, with a 5 years difference, it's over...

shinta|hikari
Fri, 01-10-2014, 12:51 AM
I hope this show proves otherwise. Betraying expectations in anime is better than meeting mediocre ones.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-10-2014, 11:39 PM
Tsumugu likes Chisaki, but won't make a move on her because he knows/thinks she likes Hikari. Chisaki likes Tsumugu too (perhaps to a lesser, less obvious degree) but can't move to him because until now she never knew the fate of Hikari and couldn't put closure to that part of her life. Now that Hikari is here, hopefully that'll change.

I would expect Manaka to be asleep forever, or until the final episode. The sea god was serious about taking in a girl. With her out of the picture, we can clean things up pretty cleanly now.

Kraco
Sat, 01-11-2014, 05:48 AM
It does seem Tsumugu likes Chisaki.

I wouldn't be so sure of it. Or even if he did, he might have thicker walls in place than Chisaki. I reckon Tsumugu might be the most anti-family person in this show, despite having shared some words of wisdom with the others in the past. There must be something very wrong with his own parents, making him doubt relationships, and no matter how you look at it, the old geezer isn't any warm and fuzzy person either but a tough old bone. Tsumugu might keep refusing any relationships for himself. He has been a distant person for all of the show. Chisaki is super hesitant on her best days, broody on her normal ones, so even if Hikari reappearring in his old brat form now somehow makes Chisaki give up for good, it's a bit hard to see how she would ever approach Tsumugu and win over his frozen heart for real. Otherwise it would be a cold and painful, loveless relationship between them. After five years of suffering, I don't really hope such a fate for Chisaki.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-11-2014, 06:24 AM
I wouldn't be so sure that he isn't.

He seemed really agitated that she was putting so much effort into smoothing out the futon for the professor. Not jealously, but something else. It was the way Tsumugu said it that seemed...different. He was certainly annoyed that the professor was praising her and implying that they were together. Not that Tsumugu was against the idea, just that he wasn't allowing it to happen. If anything, he's giving Chisaki room out of courtesy. Just the same overly courteous Tsumugu we knew from 5 years ago.Whatever wounds Tsumugu has about his family are without doubt a contributing factor to his standoffishness, but the flashback montage showed him changing, slowly but surely. He's also protective of her now. Not in an adoptive sibling or guardian kind of way either.

That faint, almost-smile on the boat during the flashbacks was a softening we haven't seen in Tsumugu's expressions...ever. Chisaki wouldn't have seen that from the shore. He gave her time to recover at first, and we saw his relief (another thing we've never seen before) during the dinner scene. The boat scene wasn't relief, it was something more. In the hospital scene, Tsumugu switched to a more protective overwatch of Chisaki.

Chisaki didn't start getting interested in Tsumugu until they began high school. Everyone else in the town has noticed it, that's why they call her the lonely housewife. Emphasis on wife.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-11-2014, 06:38 AM
He seemed really agitated that she was putting so much effort into smoothing out the futon for the professor. Not jealously, but something else.

I think he felt annoyed that she put in so much effort for someone who means so little to both himself and her. She's doing it out of courtesy. He's so strong and independent that he watching her servitude felt degrading. The proff didn't physically need her help, nor was he entitled to it relationship-wise.

For such a sad episode overall, it was heartwarming to see the teacher still teach with such enthusiasm. Everything about him shows that he cares.

Kraco
Sat, 01-11-2014, 07:58 AM
Tsumugu has been always helping people out of nowhere and trying to sort out their difficulties. He dug the pond for the sea folks to bathe in, to name one example out of nowhere. But he has always kept his own distance at the same time, so that he wouldn't get overly involved even if he by all evidence wanted others to get involved with each other. There's many ways to interpret what was going on in the discussion with the professor. You might be right and there's still a man somewhere inside Tsumugu desiring a shapely woman like Chisaki. I'm not really denying that. However, I think he was just generally annoyed by the subject, which would make perfect sense for two reasons: Chisaki is stuck in the past, so it's quite bothersome if she's treated like Tsumugu's girlfriend, and on the other hand Tsumugu himself isn't, I still say, ready for relationships for whatever personal reasons.

I rewatched the futon scene and he certainly didn't seem overly agitated. It was more like he thought it was completely unnecessary assistance for an adult man.

It would be interesting to know how much Tsumugu in fact has been at home. Has he been avoiding the place, staying in the city? If I've judged him correctly, he might be wary of being there overly much to avoid creating any more rumours of being together with Chisaki, plus on a more concrete level it would also help him not to get too attached to Chisaki. He's still a man and she's a beauty.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-11-2014, 08:34 AM
I think Tsumugu is doing all he can with the research so Chisaki can see Hikari, just like Hikari did all he can back then so Manaka will be happy (and ultimately end up with Tsumugu). He's more subtle than Hikari, but I do think that's the case.

He loves the village, but I think the people (and Chisaki in particular) mean more to him than the physical village does. He just doesn't crumble when one of them is being taken away from him.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-16-2014, 12:46 PM
HS - Episode 15 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=512798)

-------------------------------------------------

This show is warming in that the characters try so hard to stay positive in the face of problems, but overall I still have to say that the themes are quite tense/gloomy. Chisaki got two different opinions here, (she's changed, she hasn't changed). Neither is necessarily more true than the other but the outcome will come down to how Chisaki sees herself. She's happy to hear that Hikari said she hasn't changed, but should she come to the conclusion that she really has changed, she would eventually appreciate Tsumugu more.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-16-2014, 11:25 PM
I am starting to hate Tsumugu a lot less as a character. He has become more human, with emotions, faults and weaknesses. His outburst in the dining room, his blatant affection for Chisaki, and the extremely stupid decision to blame ask Hikari about not seeing Chisaki.

These people must be absolute idiots. Waking up to a world 5 years later is enough to break a person, and all they do is say "You must be tired after sleeping so long." I really loved Hikari in this episode. He is probably the strongest out of all the characters in the show. He lives honestly and accepts the consequences of that, something not many people can do.

I am rooting for the Miuna pairing, but sleeping beauty is bound to make a comeback sometime. I cannot wait for Kaname to return. It should throw another cog into the train wreck machine we already have.

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-17-2014, 05:00 AM
That is what makes Hikari a great character (honestly it is his natural charisma to reference the other thread), though it ultimately made things worse for him in this episode. He was able to slip right back into things almost immediately, which is why so many of the side characters acted like nothing had changed and their connection to Hikari hadn't altered.

It's true that for Hikari, it didn't, but the other people didn't realize that they had changed, which brought additional stress to Hikari. Thankfully, he's nothing if not persistent and resilient, falling into a new stable pattern by the end of the episode.

I also agree with him that Chisaki might be the only person he knows who didn't change, she just got more attractive to others. She is still constantly fussing about where she fits in and where she wants to be, who she wants to be. Physically she's changed, emotionally, a lot less so.

Tsumugu had some damn fine lines in his pursuit of Chisaki.

I'm interested to see Sayu blow up next episode. Miuna has it good now. She's the same age, she lives with him, her feelings haven't changed at all, and she presently doesn't have any competition (Chisaki wouldn't dare and Tsumugu would be more active in his own pursuit even if she did). It's not surprising that Sayu, still waiting for her undersea prince to be upset while Miuna gets to be happy. She's still a lovesick spaz after all, just like I hoped. Perhaps she has been preparing for years to show that she is a "mature" and pure maiden, and her serious attitude has all been a sham.

Kraco
Sat, 01-18-2014, 04:53 AM
I don't agree overly much with you, especially Shinta. The dry ground people had to experience the beginning of a minor ice age, or something, in addition to losing all the contact with the people undersea, so it's not like they would have just happily and gleefully continued their old lives while the sea folks were hibernating. Objectively speaking the sleeping undersea people got the easy card out of the deal. So, treating Hikari all happily and not understanding his stress and suffering is nothing but a single side of a coin. Still, Hikari himself seemed to realise that after his outburst with Tsumugu.

The relationships really are a mess in this story. Chisaki certainly hasn't changed at all, aside from her age and body, and I reckon that's the reason why Tsumugu is keeping his distance most of the time, assuming he really is chasing after her like you seem to believe. I'm not so sure of that, but for the sake of the argument I'd reckon that he won't make bold moves until Chisaki changes also emotionally. Who knows if Chisaki can ever forget Hikari on her own or if pushing her would allow her to move forward or break her. I guess Tsumugu doesn't know either.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-18-2014, 05:01 AM
If it wasn't obvious (it's debatable) it is after this episode: Tsumugu has the hots for Chisaki. There's really no question about that. He's not making any aggressive moves, but he's sure not backing down when people are rude about Chisaki. Like I've said before, neither Tsumugu nor Chisaki made obvious moves because the latter still couldn't reach closure regarding her relationship with Hikari, and the former knew it.

I'm not sure if Tsumugu will start making any bold moves (50/50 I think right now), but if not then he's definitely on 'standby', ready for when Chisaki finally gets over Hikari.

Kraco
Sat, 01-18-2014, 06:10 AM
but he's sure not backing down when people are rude about Chisaki.

Tsumugu has always been a sympathetic person (in actions, even if not in expressions) and was helping the sea folks well before he could have developed any special feelings. He would defend Chisaki even without a romantic interest. She was left all alone on the surface and has now been living for five years under Tsumugu and the geezer's care. There's no way he wouldn't treat her preciously just for that fact alone. He would have needed to hate her for that not to happen.

Well, I'm not saying he's not having an interest in her. I'm merely saying that it's still slightly possible he doesn't and far more possible he has but nothing at all will ever come out of it. After five years it's safe to say Tsumugu isn't overly likely to ever try to actively push Chisaki forward, perhaps due to being afraid that could sever whatever connection they now share.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-18-2014, 06:38 AM
Tsumugu defended the four in school before, but never the way he's defending Chisaki now. He doesn't tolerate anyone saying a bad thing about her.

He's also never called a girl pretty, just fish attached to their knee, or their ena itself.

There's exceptionally little room for doubt.

Kraco
Sat, 01-18-2014, 09:47 AM
Aside from that, I suddenly realised that instead of the wooden Tsumugu, how is the situation viewed from the opposite perspective? If what you say is correct and Tsumugu is so obviously in love with Chisaki, how much of it does Chisaki see? She's always so unsure of herself and doesn't think much of her own worth that does she feel guilty of having lived in the Kihara house for so long yet not responding to Tsumugu's feelings? Obviously that sense of paying back must be a part of why she's so dutiful, taking care of the geezer and preparing the bed for Tsumugu's boss, but is she feeling she should go beyond that? You could certainly interpret her behavior and expression as guilt when she was getting back home and met Tsugumu at the door. As if she was betraying Tsumugu by meeting Hikari (even though Tsumugu encouraged their meeting).

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-18-2014, 10:35 AM
That could possibly be so. Chisaki's feelings toward Tsumugu and his gramps are already that of family and beyond though. Recall her breakdown when the old fellow went to hospital. Tsumugu's been showing us affection towards Chisaki, but I don't think he does it much (if at all) while she's around. She was family around him for 5 years and he was more or less comfortable with their relationship thus far. His "is becoming pretty not enough" comment seems to be the first time he's said anything directly to Chisaki like that.

She may well feel guilt since she feels indebted to them, but at the same time I think she understands that such debts should not override your romantic feelings. She certainly feels uncomfortable now that Tsumugu knows she's met with Hikari. She doesn't like change after all, and this meeting kind of sets that off.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-18-2014, 12:20 PM
She's probably almost certainly of the "If I confess and get rejected, I'll have nowhere to go but I wouldn't be able to stay!" mindset.

So the two of them are suppressing their feelings on both ends. Tsumugu doesn't want to make her uncomfortable by pressing things further, and Chisaki doesn't want to lose the only family she has left. He started loving her when she stopped crying all the time (and over time things gradually strengthened) and she started admiring him when they began high school.

Hikari's reappearance won't make of mess of things, I think it will finally push them in the right direction. Chisaki, who hasn't changed emotionally these five years, will slowly realize that she can't keep staying this way, caught in standby mode. Tsumugu will see Hikari as a threat to Chisaki's attention, and might actually make a move. He's already started by consoling her and telling her she's pretty.

Kraco
Sat, 01-18-2014, 12:55 PM
Tsumugu will see Hikari as a threat to Chisaki's attention, and might actually make a move. He's already started by consoling her and telling her she's pretty.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Considering Tsumugu's personality, he might see Hikari more of a key than a threat. With Hikari now here, Chisaki can't anymore keep herself unchanging with the excuse of waiting for Hikari. She will have to decide things for herself, one way or another. I believe that's why Tsumugu wanted them to meet; it would finally force Chisaki to do something. Of course it might also mean Tsumugu could lose, but he was slowly losing anyway, with both of them growing older but Chisaki's heart stuck frozen in the past.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-24-2014, 04:54 AM
HS - Episode 16 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=515366)

I think the sea folks are waking up based on how much they didn't fast prior. Hikari probably ate the most while Kaname followed closely afterwards. This discounts Manaka since she's trapped by the sea god.

Kraco
Fri, 01-24-2014, 05:08 AM
That is a good threory, although on the other hand both Hikari and Kaname are abnormal cases also because they were left wherever to sleep. There might be some epicenter to the phenomenom, and we know there's the border than cannot be passed around the sea town. Were Hikari and Kaname even properly inside of it?

Miuna starting to breath underwater came out of nowhere. It also could be the first time people could move from the land to sea, so it should be quite a significant event.

Based on the preview, did Kaname move to the Kihara household? That might be somewhat awkward. Maybe he's only bunking there for the moment.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-24-2014, 05:12 AM
That is a good threory, although on the other hand both Hikari and Kaname are abnormal cases also because they were left wherever to sleep. There might be some epicenter to the phenomenom, and we know there's the border than cannot be passed around the sea town. Were Hikari and Kaname even properly inside of it?

Not sure, but they sure weren't recovered during any form of rescue event. We never saw any scuba-diving in this show, but they did mention that the humans couldn't reach Shioshishio.

Miuna starting to breath underwater came out of nowhere. It also could be the first time people could move from the land to sea, so it should be quite a significant event.

It could be, but then I remembered that her mother was a seafolk. Whether humans are now gaining underwater abilities from this event, or whether it's just by chance that Miuna can breath there is still a debate I'm having.

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Miuna gaining ena really came out of nowhere. I expected the phenomenon to be Kaname returning to save her. Ultimately it was both.

Not sure, but they sure weren't recovered during any form of rescue event. We never saw any scuba-diving in this show, but they did mention that the humans couldn't reach Shioshishio.
Miuna's father (now Akari's husband) attempted to scuba dive with borrowed equipment to ask for her hand properly. He failed and nearly drowned because he wasn't certified and had no idea how, not so much the sea god interfering. Hikari (and possibly Kaname or Manaka) saved him. Don't remember the episode.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Gaining Ena isn't entirely out of question. Offering a woman to the sea god was supposed to save the seafolk from complete extinction, right? What if the entire weather phenomenon is supposed to do exactly that? The seafolk sleep and wait while the humans on top experience the cold and the environment reactivate the Ena that they thought they lost?

I'm pleased to know that Kaname was much more level-headed when he popped out of the water (or at least those were the first words he said). At the same time, that level of calmness and intelligence suggests jealous trouble when combined with his unrequited love.

But hey, this show is all about jealous trouble and unrequited love, right?

David75
Sat, 01-25-2014, 02:51 AM
Miuana is a Land/Seafolk hybrid. Although she didn't have ENA at birth, it reactivated.
My guess is it was activated by those glittering effects that are showing the seaGod's power.

Now, we could always think that the parade with the statue and folklore and the story behind it were in fact describing what happened to Miuna: offering new females to the sea people. It's just that with time, nobody remembered exactly all of that works and the festivities became just that and it did not work anymore.
Miuna is a special case, being an Hybrid. If her female friend also activates an ENA, it could become a lot more fun.

Kraco
Sat, 01-25-2014, 03:11 AM
Aren't they all hybrids, in a sense? According to the old legends, everybody were sea people at first, but then some migrated onto dry land and lost their ability to live underwater. Ena is the only physical difference between them, and it doesn't seem anything genetic. Considering that, anybody should be a viable choice for reenafication, should the sea god choose so. Bill's theory might be correct, in addition to the attitude of the person in question, perhaps, since it seems likely not everybody swimming in the waters right now gains ena.

Kaname was always level-headed, though in a bit different manner compared to Tsumugu, so he behaved exactly like I expected.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-25-2014, 03:46 AM
Kaname was always level-headed, though in a bit different manner compared to Tsumugu, so he behaved exactly like I expected.

I didn't say it in my post, but I did mean in comparison to Hikari.

And you're right that the Ena isn't a genetic difference. Supposedly you retain Ena if you were born in the sea, since the amniotic fluid surrounds you and remains on your skin or something instead of bursting and washing away on land.

When that was first mentioned, I wondered why people didn't have sea-births anyway just to maintain their 'citizenship'. Then I remembered that the villages cast you out anyway when you left, so there's not too much point. For the child, having a physical inability to go underwater may be less painful than knowing they're being shunned.

David75
Sat, 01-25-2014, 05:30 AM
I did understand (probably wrong) that casting out women that chose to mate with a surface guy was in the newborn interrest... as hybrid babies are born without ENA and would die should the mother give birth underwater.

Kraco
Sat, 01-25-2014, 06:35 AM
I didn't say it in my post, but I did mean in comparison to Hikari.

Of course I understood that. A mushroom eating viking berserker would be more level-headed than Hikari. But since you mentioned level-headedness, I thought to compare him to the other character who likes to keep his head cool and think stuff through.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-25-2014, 06:39 AM
I did understand (probably wrong) that casting out women that chose to mate with a surface guy was in the newborn interrest... as hybrid babies are born without ENA and would die should the mother give birth underwater.

You're not wrong David, Buff's just being crazy again. A large amount of the info he's been posting in this thread lately has been horribly misremembered, often backwards.

Children born from surface-people and a woman from the sea drown during birth as they are not born with Ena. Akari said it when Hikari was getting all fussy to their father about her relationship. Not sure if it was to Hikari, Manaka, or Miuna though.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-25-2014, 07:50 AM
You're not wrong David,

That does seem to be the case.

Horriblesubs said that Ena was like amniotic fluid and that people from the surface break through it when they're born, while people from the sea have it wrap around them. That got me assuming that if people on the surface took birthing precautions to not break through their amniotic fluid, they'd have the equivalent of Ena. Back in episode 3, I did think Tsumugu's conclusion (that hybrids don't have Ena) was funny, but I guess that's more factual.

Please do take the effort to correct my errors. It's rather welcome. Do you actually mean this thread, or GW-forum?

edit:

A large amount of the info he's been posting in this thread lately has been horribly misremembered, often backwards.

Actually, I changed my mind. Do point them out Ryll. I don't want to leave this hanging.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-31-2014, 05:40 AM
HS - Episode 17 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=517960)

Even though Kaname isn't actually in a relationship with Chisaki, it keeps feeling like he's being NTR'ed - and I like it. There's some strange satisfaction about the fact that Chisaki/Tsumugu are getting along really well without him even though he did nothing wrong. You just get that feeling that he could well be a much darker person inside.

The best thing was watching how quickly Sayu's walls got broken down. Her regression back to a little kid too what... 3 seconds and a pat? :3

Kraco
Fri, 01-31-2014, 05:54 AM
Even though Kaname isn't actually in a relationship with Chisaki, it keeps feeling like he's being NTR'ed - and I like it. There's some strange satisfaction about the fact that Chisaki/Tsumugu are getting along really well without him even though he did nothing wrong. You just get that feeling that he could well be a much darker person inside.

Kaname felt absolutely the same, the one most out of everything, even though he could have Sayu any time, should he ever want to have her. Speaking of a darker person inside, for the first time during this episode I got a feeling it's Tsumugu who has such darkness inside him. Obviously he has some complicated family circumstances that give him genuine background in darkness of some kind, but in this episode with Kaname in the background it seemed to me like Tsumugu might suddenly snap and explode. As if he's actively holding back a lot and is not honestly calm and composed as his basic nature. But maybe that's just me. If he ends up living with both Chisaki and Kaname for a while, I guess the truth will be revealed.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-31-2014, 06:49 AM
As if he's actively holding back a lot and is not honestly calm and composed as his basic nature.

Well, that's a given. He doesn't like Chisaki looking after other guys. Since Tsumugu is taking a rather passive role while letting Chisaki get over things on her own, I believe he actually values their time together. Anyone who intrudes that pisses him off more or less.

Tsumugu is '1st in line' for Chisaki while she's deciding over Hikari... and Tsumugu doesn't like queue jumpers.

Private-time-invasion aside (and the threat that being under the same roof brings along), I think Tsumugu would also be nicer to Hikari (besides his obvious threat status) because:

a) Hikari doesn't like Chisaki
b) Chisaki likes Hikari.

I don't believe that Tsumugu is conscious of all of this though, but that should be what's going on.

edit: forgot to say, that CGI was rather obtrusive. Obtrusive CGI = bad CGI.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 01-31-2014, 10:31 AM
I am actually rooting for Miuna and Sayu now. They are much better people than the original 4. I hope Hikari ends up with Miuna and Kaname with Sayu. I really felt bad for Kaname this episode. Really, he deserves better than being one upped by two people just because Chisaki doesn't give a damn about him and his feelings.

Kraco
Fri, 01-31-2014, 11:44 AM
I really felt bad for Kaname this episode. Really, he deserves better than being one upped by two people just because Chisaki doesn't give a damn about him and his feelings.

Come on. A person can't split in two, so I'd say it's more merciful not to give false hope. Chisaki could get all friendly with Kaname, but it would be nothing short of cruelty considering she already has two other people she care for more. Actually maybe even three; after these five years the Kihara geezer might matter more to her than Kaname, haha.

But obviously I'm also rooting for Miuna and Sayu more now. It's always nicer to root for people who actually are here than those who aren't present and with no predictable prospects of returning (unless you go beyond objectivity and evaluate it based on drama traditions). I suppose it might be a bit sad if Manaka manages to return eventually and finds all the others have already paired with each other. But then again, she's the one who proclaimed herself not interested and not understanding anything about man-woman relationships.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 01-31-2014, 01:42 PM
I'd be pleasantly surprised if they take the less trodden path of having Manaka never return, and everyone finding a way to move on from that.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-31-2014, 05:59 PM
I'm actually putting money on Manaka not returning. At the very least, only after everything settles (like everyone else being either dead, long dead, or in their 80s).

David75
Sat, 02-01-2014, 12:26 AM
There's that one liner I think I head from Chisaki that was incredibly cruel and selfish... in which she basicly said she was relieved Kaname really was the same: ie he still loved her, but she doesn't and that it was really nice for her ego. Totally my interpretation there. But really a bitchy RL life experience.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-01-2014, 01:45 AM
There's that one liner I think I head from Chisaki that was incredibly cruel and selfish... in which she basicly said she was relieved Kaname really was the same: ie he still loved her, but she doesn't and that it was really nice for her ego. Totally my interpretation there. But really a bitchy RL life experience.

She didn't say that she was relieved. She just asked him if she's changed. Her facial expression afterwards was a little hard to interpret.

Reasons she could be happy about his response:
1) He's still the Kaname she knows
2) Kaname still considers her to be more or less the Chisaki he knows/likes

Reasons she could be troubled by his response:
1) She still has to worry about his feelings and how to respond to them

Now that I watch the episode again, I feel a little bad for Kaname as well. I think my initial response to view him negatively was because I found him threatening my Tsumugu/Chisaki pairing, even though anime logic dictates that he has no chance. In a way, he's even more good natured and passive than Tsumugu.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 02-01-2014, 11:16 PM
I usually dislike characters like Kaname (i.e. Setsuna) because of certain dark and conniving qualities included in the archetype, but Kaname actually has the opposite ones. Instead of being cowardly, he is courageous enough to move when he feels the need to. Instead of dragging other people down, he tries to move up instead, but less forcefully. I just feel that Kaname is elegant, even when faced with such adversity. Tsumugu is harder to relate to because he is too robotic.

Kraco
Thu, 02-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Episode 18 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=520403)

- - - - - -- - -

I can't help but feel that Uroko transferred Manaka's ena to Miuna. Obviously he purposefully made the ena chips to float in front of Miuna to guide her here and there. Because she had always wanted to see the underwater town? Who knows. Uroko seems to be doing totally random things and stuff for his own amusements, nothing else. I certainly can't see too many reasons why Manaka of all people would deserve to suddenly lose her ena.

In any case, with this Manaka is not at all late to the polygon party, unless you count her maturity which seems to be lower than pre-time skip Miuna and Sayu's... Who knows where this will lead.

Ryllharu
Fri, 02-07-2014, 04:46 AM
I don't think Manaka will wake up simply because they took her from the sea god and brought her to the surface. That would be too easy. I suppose it does provide a different reason for the ED if she does. It's not that she woke up decades after the others, it's that she can't live underwater anymore.

I also think it was Manaka herself that was guiding Miuna around. Not just because she accidentally said her name when guided by the ena flakes, but because Manaka was her friend too and wanted to be reunited with the lot of them.

The only reason I can think of for her ena eroding is that she's a sacrifice to the sea god. She has to drown, like the original bride/sacrifice for it to count.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-07-2014, 07:21 AM
I too think she's drowning. That's the whole point of the sacrificial ceremony and how people didn't treat it seriously when it was, in fact, serious. The hand was also metaphoric for the sea god.

I'm a little annoyed that Manaka's back in the loop now. She's my least favourite character. It sounds mean to say "I wish she remained 'dead' ", but that is in fact how I feel.

Kraco
Fri, 02-07-2014, 08:11 AM
The only reason I can think of for her ena eroding is that she's a sacrifice to the sea god. She has to drown, like the original bride/sacrifice for it to count.

And she took five years to drown for what reason? If that was the only reason why it's happening, it would have happened a long time ago. It can't be a coincidence Miuna gained her ena and Manaka is now drowning, at the same time. Though I don't really know why it's happening at all, aside from what I said: Uroko (Sea god) does whatever they want, following simple whims.

Ryllharu
Fri, 02-07-2014, 04:09 PM
It can't be a coincidence Miuna gained her ena and Manaka is now drowning, at the same time.
It can be a coincidence. The same noise Miuna is now attuned to is the same one we heard when Hikari woke up. It was also the same one we heard when Kaname woke up, which was coincidentally the same time Miuna gained her ena.

Kraco
Fri, 02-07-2014, 04:34 PM
Well, I suppose that one could be a coincidence, but that still doesn't explain why it took Manaka five years to start dying if she was to die as a sacrifice to the sea god. Unless you think Manaka's dying wish was to show the undersea town to Miuna, and Uroko needed to wait five years for Miuna to take a dip. Maybe he got tired of waiting and woke up Hikari to give her a push. Then he kicked Kaname out of the sea to make sure they would have the group born bravery to go diving.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-07-2014, 08:06 PM
If we're having an exchange of Ena, why is it that Miuna can survive with 5% (let's say that's what got transferred) while Manaka is seemingly dying with 95%? The fakes are also not heading towards Miuna personally.

It actually seemed weird to me this episode because Miuna was following where the flakes were going as opposed to following where they were drifting from, which would make more sense for me really.. but perhaps she got confused between them and Uroko etc.

Kraco
Sat, 02-08-2014, 04:27 AM
Nah, if you are referring to my earlier post, it's an exchange in a figurative meaning, not concrete. One person from the land gets ena, one from the sea loses it. Not that Manaka's old ena would cover Miuna's skin. I have no doubt Uroko could grant an ena to a person, should he wish so. He can make a fricking fish grow out of a person's knee, after all.

Keno
Sat, 02-08-2014, 02:23 PM
I kept hoping Miuna wouldn't suddenly start drowning in the bottom of the sea if Manaka ever woke up there. Wondering what type of repercussions taking Manaka out of the sea will bring. Maybe the whole village will be frozen (sleeping?) forever now because of that? Maybe Manaka (pls not Miuna or Chisaki) would have to re-submit herself later to the sea once they figure this out? Miuna's height marking gave me weird death flag feelings.

Kraco
Sat, 02-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Uroko said arranging the ceremony will have no effect whatsoever. It's quite possible what happened during the ceremony, Manaka's fate included, was nothing but a coincidence, caused by the creation of the strong currents and the dome over the sea town. It's likewise quite possible the ceremony was always meaningless, other than to the participants themselves. Uroko also did nothing at all to prevent them from taking Manaka back with them. Before the time skip he once stopped people from leaving, although relenting shortly afterwards, so I reckon it's more likely he would have now done something, had rescuing Manaka been bad in the sea god's eyes. He was also humouring Miuna, despite it being obvious she wouldn't let Manaka die if she could help it.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Uroko isn't the Sea God himself, but a scale of him. I was under the impression that during the ceremony, the Sea God suddenly changed its mind due to the passion everyone put in. It decided to accept their offer in return for saving the Earth (or whatever). Until then, Uroko was right in that the ceremony shouldn't have had any impact.

That's my take anyway. See the Sea God's "hand" grabbing Manaka.

Kraco
Thu, 02-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Episode 19 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=522702)

- - - - -- - -

Hibernating underwater aside, I think sleeping for a week on dry land, in room temperature, would require at least hydration. Not to mention more complicated things such as preventing pressure ulcers.

It's a pity Chisaki's love for Hikari was so rekindled by the coincidence of deciding to visit the sea village at the same time. Although I suppose it would have happened anyway sooner or later. The scene of Chisaki and Tsumugu drinking was nice, but I also liked how Tsumugu remained so composed during all the scenes, especially compared to Kaname. I don't care if he's too robotic in general, but right now I enjoyed such calmness instead of the usual over the top anime reactions. Maybe in the long run reaffirming her feelings will help Chisaki move forward. At least it could push her to decide what to do about Tsumugu (and Kaname, but I don't care about that dude). She's still living in his house, so maybe loving another dude yet remaining there would start to bother her after a while and give her a concrete reason to make a final decision.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-14-2014, 07:56 AM
I think she'll find Tsumugu to be as "gentle" as Hikari was, and realise why.

Ryllharu
Fri, 02-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Interesting admission from Tsumugu to Kaname that one of the reasons he has been holding back from pursuing Chisaki is because they other three weren't there. Now he and Chisaki can start moving forward again. He may be soon making is move after all.

Secondly, the alternate way to take his words to the dosing Chisaki, "fulfill what you lost with new things," was that he did love Manaka, but that things in suspension left him unable to come to a conclusion, and he started filling the loss with growing affection for Chisaki. It's not that he treated Chisaki as a rebound (nor she him), but that you take a longer look at other things that make have passed your notice before.

Kraco
Sat, 02-15-2014, 03:44 AM
What has me worried, though, is that like Hikari and Kaname have been saying, Chisaki hasn't changed. She's still stuck in the past: reminiscing her childhood, or even wanting to relive parts of it, trying the old middle school uniform, being really happy when the old friends tell she hasn't changed. It feels like her fresh profession is the only new thing she embraces. Will she be able to overcome that aspect of herself?

Kraco
Thu, 02-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Episode 20 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=525017)

- - - - - -- - --

I've been feeling, during the last eps, that this show has shifted more towards oppressive drama from the airier, atmospheric episodes of the beginning. Consequently the predictability has increased. Thus Manaka waking up right now was hardly a surprise; it was about the time if the story intends to truggle forward the path it seemingly has chosen.

But perhaps something will still change and mystery will prevail. I suppose that will depend on whether the weather phenomenon including the sea god or the love polygons will be more prominent from now on.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-21-2014, 08:47 AM
Curses, the annoying girl's awake now. :(

I was wishing/envisioning Tsumugu trying to drown himself in the ice-cold water himself to test the adaptation theory since he has some Shioshishio blood in him to a degree as well. I suppose that was a bit too far-fetched though.

And I totally empathise with him about being envious of others having so much emotion and passion. I'm somewhat like that myself.

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-22-2014, 06:31 AM
Come on, it was still cute the way Manaka woke up. Hikari getting all fired up to the point that she had to wake up and hold him back. Pretty much exactly what Tsumugu told Miuna to do, create extreme circumstances where change will happen.

This episode also reinforced Miuna's choice is hair style and length. She knows that Hikari prefers girls like Manaka, and kept her loose hair in a nearly identical cut.

Overall, I felt this episode returned toward the airier, goofy episodes, despite the numerous confessions and admissions and sad faces everywhere. We had Kaname and Hikari getting all bothered over Chisaki's curvy hotness, Akari being the best mother ever, the wake-up scene, the contrast of Sayu being responsible and acting like an adult but getting bored and reading Snow White, and Sayu and Miuna discussing how they want to be part of the group again.

Really, I don't know why the two of them didn't try harder to worm their way in now during this episode. There is no greater chance for them to get in. They're the same age as three of them, and Chisaki's 5 years on the surface has changed her and made their group a lot looser. Sayu and Miuna need to strike now.

Kraco
Sat, 02-22-2014, 08:37 AM
Really, I don't know why the two of them didn't try harder to worm their way in now during this episode. There is no greater chance for them to get in. They're the same age as three of them, and Chisaki's 5 years on the surface has changed her and made their group a lot looser. Sayu and Miuna need to strike now.

Indeed. It's too bad they are holding back because they seem to think they have no chances or that pushing forward now would make them look like bad people. Although now with Manaka awake as well, the latter shouldn't be such a problem.

Tsumugu obviously has played himself out of the group more or less, looking very much like an adult in the company of kids when he's with them. Chisaki is hanging somewhere in the middle, with how much she's looking behind her back all the time.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Tsumugu is doing it out of purpose as well. I think he's giving Chisaki space to decide for herself how "back in time" she belongs.

Kraco
Thu, 02-27-2014, 01:38 PM
Episode 21 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=527367)

- - - - - --- - - -

Hmm... After what seems like a good while, this show managed to surprise me. I wonder, though, if Uroko realised that for a scientist like Tsumugu that won't be a curse but a blessing. One might think it would serve some kind of higher purpose, especially considering the episode title, but the fact it appeared right after Tsumugu noted they could bribe Uroko with porn mags suggests otherwise. Unless Uroko, being a man of refined humour, was simply waiting for a moment like this to make his move.

Quite a nice episode all in all. Manaka was certainly a lot more energetic and happy than I expected; she's really an airhead. The most I enjoyed the calm scenes of Chisaki and Tsumugu, although the family scenes back at Shiodomes were jolly as well. When Chisaki left the others, it felt like she realised she doesn't anymore belong to the company of kids goofing around, having turned adult for good. I hope it really was so because that would spell well for Tsumugu.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-27-2014, 11:37 PM
The blank look in Manaka's eyes during dinner and the fact that she does not remember her promise with Hikari is worrying.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-28-2014, 05:31 AM
So Chisaki's grown out of cream puffs and moved on to the more 'adult' coffee jelly. Good to hear!

Firstly is it possible to curse someone who isn't Shioshishio? I thought those were bits of Ena coming off Tsumugu's show there.

Ryllharu
Fri, 02-28-2014, 09:39 PM
When Chisaki left the others, it felt like she realised she doesn't anymore belong to the company of kids goofing around, having turned adult for good. I hope it really was so because that would spell well for Tsumugu.
I definitely agree. Despite how much Manaka and Hikari claim that Chisaki hasn't changed, she has, and when compared to the rest of them, it starts to stand out. On the roof she could tell she didn't fit with the others. They're still kids (as are Sayu and Miuna), and she's had a long and lonely five years. The memories are still there, but the chemistry is starting to fade. She grew intimately close to Tsumugu and given the natural way the two interact, I'd even say she grew closer to him in five years than the four did all the time they were growing up.

Chisaki is past her awkward love stage, the rest are still figuring life out. Though it isn't her taste in confections, it's how well she can still relate to the middle school five. The problem that I think she's starting to grasp is that she can't. It's just part of growing up.

It definitely felt like she was growing more distant to the other three, just over the course of this episode.

The blank look in Manaka's eyes during dinner and the fact that she does not remember her promise with Hikari is worrying.It was a blank look, but with a smile. I'm actually wondering if she's really Manaka. I was guessing that she was momentarily possessed by the Sea God, or that she's the Sea God in disguise.

If it is the latter, one thing I'm certain of is that Manaka isn't dead, she's still down under the water, hidden away. I think it more likely that she's channeling the Sea God.

It could also be that he's still taking things from her. Ena was first, memories are next.

Kraco
Thu, 03-06-2014, 01:09 PM
Episode 22 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=529831)

- - - - - - - - - - -

Quite a believable explanation for the Sea God's all douchebaggery. If the powers, emotions, and consciousness are separated and all messed up, it makes sense very petty things could happen. Up until now I thought Uroko was only avoiding responsibility and hiding excuses when he kept saying he's nothing but a scale, but in the end he's literally one. He was surprisingly open this time, though it won't seemingly do much good for mankind, at least with Hikari asking the questions. It was pretty funny how Hikari hardly gave a shit about the land becoming uninhabitable compared to Manaka not being able to love. The dude has his priorities right.

Tsumugu getting more serious with Chisaki is a very welcome thing. He really was waiting for everybody to get back before pressing the issue, but now he's patience is finally nearing the limit. Not that you could tell that from his unpassionate face, but still.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-07-2014, 07:30 PM
One thing I do like about Tsumugu is how frank he is. That's perhaps the biggest difference between him and Kaname. They're both smart and observant, but the latter tests the water with statements before double-backing with "Just kidding" and so on. It makes him look less sincere and more scheming. By comparison, you can count on Tsumugu being 100% serious when he opens his mouth, for better or worse (better, in this case - particularly since Chisaki seems to be so insecure about herself).

Kraco
Sat, 03-08-2014, 03:38 AM
One thing I do like about Tsumugu is how frank he is. That's perhaps the biggest difference between him and Kaname. They're both smart and observant, but the latter tests the water with statements before double-backing with "Just kidding" and so on. It makes him look less sincere and more scheming.

Kaname is still a kid, so such behavior suits him better, giving him leeway, but an adult like Tsumugu would get a dose of maliciousness with jokes like that. Of course Chisaki herself is an adult now as well, so behaving like that will hurt Kaname's chances as it ought to make him look more like a brat in Chisaki's eyes.

Kraco
Thu, 03-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Episode 23 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=532108)

- - -- - - - - - - -

When this ep began I was afraid it would be all about Manaka and Hikari. I can't really connect with those two for various reasons, the foremost being Hikari's bratty personality and now Manaka's weird, flawed personality. I suppose I still haven't really gotten over the fact Manaka's absence kind of removed her from the pool of characters for me. Fortunately the ep didn't deal solely with those two, though, and things got a lot more intriguing when the others appeared.

Naturally the ending is what made this episode. First the fight with Tsumugu totally overpowering Hikari but being totally cool about it, and then the real deal. I certainly hadn't foreseen Tsumugu's confession to turn out like that, an accident, but perhaps it was for the best. The earlier scene suggested he didn't really know how to choose the moment. What Chisaki said during the gathering probably made it only worse: It might be hard to confess when the other person has just told she could be happier without the emotion of love. When he jumped after Chisaki, I was really happy. He looks so calm and emotionless all the time, and has even lamented his lack of expressions, that doing something stupidly romantic like that was really nice. The last golden touch was so successfully comparing Chisaki to the sea. He really is a cool dude.

I'm looking forward to the next ep!

Ryllharu
Thu, 03-13-2014, 07:45 PM
I still love Sayu in lovesick spaz mode. She finally admitted all the grown-up attitude, becoming a model student, and other stuff was because she was trying to make herself become the perfect girlfriend for Kaname (whenever he happened to come back). Now she's all fired up to give it her all to, win or lose. I can't wait to see how badly it will going, with Kaname being kinda a dick lately, and Chisaki probably reciprocating Tsumugu's feelings (we all know it by now, even Kaname can see how well the two mesh).

Tsumugu compares Chisaki to the sea, but he is too. He's very calm on the surface, but full of inner turmoil underneath. We finally got into his thoughts as he dove into the sea, possibly for the first time ever. He was willing to let himself die to make sure he didn't lose the chance. I guess the good parts of the Sea God's emotions answered, and gave him ena.

I do feel like they glossed over the reveal about his parents. They hinted at it being a much bigger deal when he saw his mother in the city. Then they just brush it off with a few sentences.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 03-13-2014, 09:25 PM
I actually really liked Hikari recently. He has grown so much as a character, and his natural charisma is amplified because of it.

I'm pretty sure Manaka was going to confess to Hikari after the festival, but since I like Miuna more, I am conflicted whether I want Manaka to regain her emotions. I certainly do not want to condone cutting off someone's feelings without their consent (regardless if it is for their own or everyone's good) but I want the Hikari x Miuna ending as well.

Kaname is so screwed, and I feel sorry for him. That is, until I realized that if he just accepts twin tails' love, he will be a much happier than being with bat crazy Chisaki.

Kraco
Fri, 03-14-2014, 04:10 AM
I do feel like they glossed over the reveal about his parents. They hinted at it being a much bigger deal when he saw his mother in the city. Then they just brush it off with a few sentences.

It still fits Tsumugu's personality not to dwell on it, even though the issues definitely felt much bigger. It's not like he would have ever opened up that much and complained about anything, big or small. He just silently deals with everything. That makes his decisive chase after Chisaki, to the point of accepting death, all the better.

Kraco
Thu, 03-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Episode 24 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=534236)

- - - - -- - - -

Man, everybody's so dramatic. Tsumugu was a bit more forceful than I expected with Chisaki. Though he's still so stuntend emountion wise that it's hard to judge if it was out of passion at all but simply because he though logically it might serve his goal of capturing Chisaki the best, since he claims he can read her. There's quite a bit of difference between reason somebody's feelings of the moment and guessing how the person will feel about and after some action. I reckon Tsumugu falls short on the latter front. I hope he manages to stop Chisaki before she jumps. It was lucky he happened to be there when she mused about it. He should recruit the others as well to keep an eye on Chisaki.

Kaname is my least favourite of the characters, but I still felt pretty happy for him. Tsumugu+Chisaki should have been easy enough, but of course Chisaki being so annoyingly stubborn about all the wrong things, it can't be helped it fell through. It's pretty hard for Tsumugu considering the consequence is Chisaki moving out, as expected.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 03-20-2014, 11:26 PM
I actually like Kaname a lot. His type is what people tend to dislike usually, and I can sympathize with that. He acts as cool and adult as Tsumugu, but gets the short end of the stick every time, while the Tsumugu only gets the best outcomes.

Miuna was great this episode. She and Hikari really do resemble, and deserve each other. I wonder if that ending is still possible.

This show really has developed into something much more than I ever expected it to be. It is complex, unpredictable, and yet not forced.

Kraco
Fri, 03-21-2014, 04:25 AM
while the Tsumugu only gets the best outcomes.

That's an exaggeration. Tsumugu isn't a very natural person with his emotions, making him either awkward or blunt with others, and I think he has paid the price for that plenty of times. Like the others, he also had to live years next to the person he loves knowing the love won't be returned, at least not for a long time, perhaps not ever knowing Chisaki. Add to that the very reason why his love won't be returned coming to him and asking him to pretend to love somebody else. Even now he's trying a pretty desperate plan to change the situation. This doesn't really sound to me like always getting the best outcomes.

Kaname might have in fact gotten a far better outcome with this episode, since it looks like he might not be like the others, unable to get over his first, futile crush. I don't think he was lying when he told Sayu he would now try to look at her as well from now on.

I guess Tsumugu is pretty lucky academically, though: He's like one or two years into university studies and is already doing fieldwork with a professor.

Ryllharu
Fri, 03-21-2014, 04:59 AM
I was disappointed the Kaname-Sayu exchange didn't use lines like, "I can't say that I like you back yet." and "I'll make sure that you only look at me!" Especially after Sayu called him a tragic heroine. Amazing line by the way.

It's not that great when she wins over Kaname's heart just by saying she was waiting for him, and he only accepts her because he finally found someone to fall back on. The whole scene felt like they had forgotten about it until now, and wrapped it up too neatly.

As for Miuna, I do hope she is the winner, but that's looking somewhat less likely. She's approaching the sister zone. It's still love, just not romantic love. Her warm and melty eyes gazing at Hikari on the porch though...he's an idiot if he can't see her true feelings.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-21-2014, 09:14 AM
@Kraco - I said outcomes. The process might have taken a long time, but Tsumugu is always the winner, unlike Kaname and Miuna who are likely doomed in their love, or even Chisaki who fell in love with someone she didn't want to.

Kraco
Fri, 03-21-2014, 11:32 AM
It's not that great when she wins over Kaname's heart just by saying she was waiting for him, and he only accepts her because he finally found someone to fall back on. The whole scene felt like they had forgotten about it until now, and wrapped it up too neatly.

I didn't feel like that at all when watching the scene. We have seen Sayu plenty of times lamenting her situation or trying to encourage herself and Miuna. Kaname is a different story because he never thought about Sayu in that way before this scene, so it's unfair to say he would have needed some foreshadowing. But we have certainly seen him feeling lonely and left out, and getting beaten by Tsumugu to approach Chisaki.

@Kraco - I said outcomes. The process might have taken a long time, but Tsumugu is always the winner, unlike Kaname and Miuna who are likely doomed in their love, or even Chisaki who fell in love with someone she didn't want to.

I don't personally think the best outcome requires long years of suffering. The best outcome for Tsumugu would have been Chisaki accepting her new feelings during the five years. There was no particular reason preventing that either, since she did know Hikari loves Manaka. It's actually harder to understand why she didn't want to move forward and instead chose the limbo, well, aside from her personality which isn't the easiest and thus explains everything.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Kaname is a good guy, and knows how unrequited love feels, especially if you are not even considered as partner material, which is why he reacted so well to Sayu's confession.

Panicking and saying stupid things after being confessed to are stuff dumb and/or selfish people do (i.e. Manaka, Chisaki).

@Kraco - I don't really see living with your loved one for 5 years as years of suffering. Having trouble holding back is only one aspect. He definitely got a lot out of it too.

Kraco
Thu, 03-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Episode 25 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=536630)

- - - - - - -- --

Man, Chisaki really is looking for any chance and opportunity to sacrifice her own happiness for the sake of others, whether those others actually need saving or not. I hope she won't be like that forever but will actually accept her role as Tsumugu's happy girlfriend once this is all over. But if Miuna remains in the sea for long, who knows, Tsumugu might need to constantly keep an eye on Chisaki so that she won't try to sneak down there to take Miuna's place. The after the ED scene makes it hard to judge if Miuna sleeps for a long while or a short. Standing naked on the beach kind of suggests she didn't come up with Hikari and Tsumugu.

Tsumugu might be quite emotionless and wooden, but I'd say that makes his scenes with Chisaki all the better. Especially since Chisaki herself seems to be amused by his robotic way of trying to understand feelings using logic.

If nothing else, the sea god is certainly predictable. I wonder why nobody expected this.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Tsumugu might be quite emotionless and wooden, but I'd say that makes his scenes with Chisaki all the better. Especially since Chisaki herself seems to be amused by his robotic way of trying to understand feelings using logic.

That guy is gold. It's hilarious how matter-of-factly he states that Chisaki loves him, yet it's 100% truth so there's no denying it.

As for Miuna, the preview certainly did look bleak. It looked as if an era had ended and the world was beginning anew. I too have no idea how long she'd have been asleep for. At the very least Manaka would be past reproductive age.

I had the feeling that one of the girls would be taken, but wasn't sure who.

That's the thing with sacrifices, you must do it properly or it's insincere. Personally it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but if you're going to sacrifice someone, don't scramble around when it gets taken.

Ryllharu
Sat, 03-29-2014, 03:48 AM
Miuna deserves far better than the lot she is repeatedly given.

I was annoyed at Manaka's wishy-washiness before she was ever taken the first time compared to the way Miuna has been more assertive and upfront about it (even if she's trying very badly to hide it), and now Manaka gets to escape and has her Ena restored while Miuna loses everything. I already kinda disliked Manaka, but now I actually hate her.

That's the thing with sacrifices, you must do it properly or it's insincere. Personally it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but if you're going to sacrifice someone, don't scramble around when it gets taken.
That's the problem though, isn't it? They're trying to sacrifice the statue (even one with Manaka's feelings close to it), but the Sea God keeps taking real girls. Their only stupid mistake was letting Akari stand in it's place the last time, then be surprised she was actually taken. This time the Sea God is just being greedy.

edit: What I mean is that it feels like Manaka gets everything without ever doing anything. Much of her time is spent running away from things, just like Chisaki. But where Chisaki suffers because she realizes what she's doing...Manaka gets rewarded for her evasive behavior! Miuna ends up putting in a huge amount of effort for her happiness, and doesn't get that much to show for it, so far, just Akari as her new mother. The scene with Manaka having Miuna cover her ears is pretty representative of Manaka's actions throughout the series.

Kraco
Sat, 03-29-2014, 04:18 AM
It doesn't matter how much effort you put in if the other person simply doesn't love you back. And that's all Miuna hasn't gained. It's not a matter of effort. She simply never had a chance in the first place. You say Manaka is rewarded for doing nothing, but her personality of gleefully running around is what Hikari apparently loves, so she's doing that. She also dropped into the sea and started to drown, which is exactly the same way the others got their ena as well.

I had a feeling Miuna wanted to fall down there and get rid of all of her wasted feelings by sleeping there. Maybe those feelings of hers resonated with the sea god's ones, and that's why she was chosen. After all, the sea god apparently has no wits left, only feelings and power floating around (and Uroko).

Kraco
Thu, 04-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Episode 26 Final - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=539035)

- -- - - -- -- - - -

A really good ending, I think. Very conclusive as well, which still feels nice, I guess even nicer than Pupipo's after this many episodes of character development. Sure, it was pretty Hollywood with Miuna immediately returning as well and accepting her lost first love, but to be honest I preferred it this way. I was mainly caring about Chisaki+Tsumugu at this point, but considering Chisaki's personality, if Manaka hadn't be cured and Miuna hadn't returned, Chisaki wouldn't have allowed herself to be happy and the favourite pairing would have been ruined, thus ruining the whole ending. So, it had to be like this. I suppose so many people gaining ena and thus the sea village invigorated was kind of extra sparkle on the icing, but it was also a nod toward the beginning of the show when this show seemed to be about otherwordly scenery, atmosphere, and alternate history (or perhaps reality) rather than drama.

One of the best shows of the season, no doubt. I'm not generally speaking any big fan of heavy drama and especially triangles, but this show had so many other elements I couldn't help but enjoy every episode.

Last but not least Tsumugu's grandpa rocks. The grumpy geezer didn't utter a single friendly sentence during the whole fricking show, did he? Yet he's still loved by his grandson and the grandson's wife-to-be. During the last scene of him in this episode, I came to think we see the generation gap in the grandfather and the grandson: During the grandfather's days it was quite plausible to be so ill-tempered and impolite, but during Tsumugu's modern days it wouldn't get you too far in the normal society. So, his problems with his emotions manifest differently.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Excellent show. And since I AM a fan of drama and love triangles done properly, I am classifying this as a masterpiece. The show knew what it wanted to do and where it was going, and achieved it.

I also like the message at the end. Changing, or not changing, can be the right answer. It really captured the struggles of everyone in the story in such concise words.

The ending was nice and conclusive, which is extremely rare in anime. Original productions like this give me hope that excellent shows can still be produced in the anime industry. Side note: Madoka Rebellion also made me think this as well.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-04-2014, 05:55 AM
I actually didn't think much of this ending. For one the Sea God released his girl because he saw her crying. The implication was that she was crying every now and again about her loved one. Someone who's moved on (to the Sea God) doesn't cry like that, so the Sea God actually made the right call in my books. Since that didn't make sense to me, the whole ending seemed to be flawed.

Everyone gaining Ena also wasn't explored. It didn't need to be, but if the story hinged on "We were being asses because we thought humans couldn't re-gain Ena", then I think a little explanation would have helped.

I liked the story overall, but contrary to the above I found the ending comparatively underwhelming.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-04-2014, 07:48 AM
She was crying for the same reason as Chisaki. She was crying because she was forgetting about the dude on land, not because she wanted to go back. Her feelings leaned towards the Sea God and their children, and she likely felt guilty or simply felt sad that she is forgetting her old love. The Sea God misunderstood that and sent her back, much like how Hikari tried to get Manaka and Tsumugu together.

I think the Sea God's story nicely represented and wrapped up the love polygons in the show.

The Ena thing and the sea god will flame thing I just chalked up to mystery. Nothing supernatural in this show made much sense anyway. It was all about the characters and their relationships.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Chisaki cried probably within the first year of losing Hikari, but I don't think she kept crying afterwards. If the maiden only cried initially after meeting the Sea God, then that fits. I got the impression that she cried more recently though. Ah well, whatever.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Chisaki cried when she realized she was in love with Tsumugu. She even vocalized it by saying that she only spent 5 years with Tsumugu compared to her entire childhood with Hikari, but she now loves Tsumugu, and she hates herself/feels guilty about it.

The ojoshi-sama was crying recently before she was sent back, because the reason she is crying will never resolve itself until she completely forgets about the dude on land, which is exactly what she does not want to do. It is a continuous cause of emotional pain for her, but not the type that the Sea God imagined.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Chisaki cried when she realized she was in love with Tsumugu. She even vocalized it by saying that she only spent 5 years with Tsumugu compared to her entire childhood with Hikari, but she now loves Tsumugu, and she hates herself/feels guilty about it.

Oh, that part. Yeah, I didn't associate that with the Ojoshi-sama's cry because that felt like it only happened when Chisaki was "forced" into realising. What you say makes sense.