PDA

View Full Version : Golden Time (TV)

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-05-2013, 09:53 PM
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9299/m32y.jpg

Alternative title: ゴールデンタイム (Japanese)

Genre: Romance, Comedy, Seinen, Supernatural

Synopsis: Tada Banri, a newly admitted student at a private law school in Tokyo, found himself completely lost after the opening ceremony, trying to find his way to the freshman orientation. At that moment, he ran into another lost freshman from the same school...

Links: ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=15548), AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=9771), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/17895/Golden_Time)

HorribleSubs - Episode 01 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=479267)

David75
Sun, 10-06-2013, 12:11 AM
I have mixed feelings after watching that one.
I failed to see why I would like to watch another ep. But I will not discard it because it could fit in the "I have nothing else to do anyway so why not" slot.

animus
Sun, 10-06-2013, 08:28 AM
I only tried this because the blogger on Randomc gave it such great praise, but after watching it I was kinda mellow on it.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-06-2013, 08:39 AM
The effing OP was filled with spoilers.

David75
Sun, 10-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Unless I like the music/song, I never watch OPs and EDs. Which is more than 80% of the time...
I also do that because of spoilers and because it's a waste of time.
It comes from my young days, when I did not have to power to skip them (live tv) and the french songs where terrible and I had to suffer them. Also because the spoilers in those OPs and EDs never came true when most series where not fully aired, eps broadcast in a strange order, some omitted...

Long story short, I'm not yet spoiled for that show!
I'll give it another ep at least.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-07-2013, 10:16 PM
The effing OP was filled with spoilers.

I saw the OP then watched the rest of the episode and was confused as hell. But that's mainly why I'm still watching - for what's to come.

Kraco
Wed, 10-09-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm not the most extroverted person around, but I find it ridiculous this dude started to stalk the girls like a creep instead of, lo and behold, asking them where to facility is. And then moments later this same man starts to hand out roses to all women passing by. What the fuck? On what scale is asking a fellow student for a direction of higher difficulty than giving flowers to strangers?

Aside from that illogicality I found the episode quite amusing. Looks a bit too much like pure drama (the likes of which I don't watch), but we will see.

Kraco
Fri, 10-11-2013, 06:25 AM
Episode 2 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=481681)

-- -- - -- - - -

It must be hard to be Japanese and thus not being able to say no. And not being able to tell Kaga to set her head straight and explain why the victim of a stalker won't be too eager to voluntarily seek the stalker's company. Tada doesn't really seem so crafty he'd planning (or rather he seems too stupid to be) on maintaining the status quo on purpose in order to get closer to Kaga while Mitsuo is doing his everything to avoid her. But perhaps he's doing it inconsciously. Quite a tenacious fellow in any case to have the stomach to listen to the "Mitsuo, Mitsuo, Mitsuo" ramblings every time he meets her.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Tada respects autonomy! That's points already. That's also the reason why he merely suggested that Koko talks to other students instead of commanding her and saying out loud what her problem is.

I sympathise with Koko as well. It's always thought of the "too pretty, out of my league" thing to be off-putting.. for someone to be so good/pretty that people actually don't approach them. :(

It must be hard to be Japanese, but for a different matter: sticking out too much is a negative trait.

At this stage I don't know if I should be expecting a full-on breakdown when Koko confronts the end of her (one sided) romance with Mitsuo. I don't really want to watch it because it could feel dramatic in a weary way. Perhaps it would make me feel really bad for her as well. If Banri can work his way in slowly and make her realise she loves him instead, it could end without all the fuss.

I wonder if he knows she finally got his name right?

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Dumbass OP caused all that speculation.

Ryllharu
Fri, 10-11-2013, 04:15 PM
If this series has a problem, it is that it doesn't seem to know if it is supposed to be a comedy or a drama. You have comedic things all the time with Kaga, Mitsuou, and the Tea Club, but every scene where she isn't being a comedic stalker, Kaga is a pitiable figure. She has no friends (other than Banri), no one talks to her (other than Banri), and she spends most of her time alone.

It's not necessarily a bad thing that the series doesn't know what it is at this point, because so far it has been going about it the right way. I just don't know if I'm supposed to take the suffering Kaga is going through seriously or not.

By the end of this episode, it was pretty obvious that Koko and Banri will be getting together.

I also suspect that the Festival Club president/member knows Banri. Perhaps she was a secret admirer upperclassman from his hometown (another stalker!)? Love Hina style young love from when they were both kids? The way she acts around him is just far too suspicious. Whatever it is, they're telegraphing it heavily. There are these flashes of...something from her, similar to what we see from Koko. She gets familiar and friendly with him and then abruptly backs off.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-12-2013, 01:02 AM
I think this is going for a mix of both comedy and drama, without splitting it into arcs or episodes like Key stories. The setting itself is not supposed to be goofy, which makes Kouko's attitude all the more baffling/annoying/interesting. No one acts that way in reality, and she is actually doing it in such a setting.

Wasn't Banri hit by a motorcycle at the end of episode 1?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-12-2013, 01:10 AM
Wasn't Banri hit by a motorcycle at the end of episode 1?

That was a segment from his memory that came up when he saw the missed call from a hospital. The icy landscape didn't look like Tokyo either.

I do think he got hit regardless.

Kraco
Sat, 10-12-2013, 02:10 AM
Kouko is the daughter of a hospital owner. Did Banri actually meet Kouko after the incident by accident? It seems like he was somehow connecting the flashback to Kouko. Though it's quite a mystery why he apparently escaped the hospital to run in the forest. Was he going to meet someone, got hit by a motorcycle and hospitalised, but wanted to keep his promise and tried to run back to the meeting place straight from a hospital bed? That would certainly seem like something a man of his kind of limited mental capacity would do.

Maybe the Festival club member is the one who biked over him, haha. Or was supposed to meet him, although if the latter, it would be strange Banri didn't already know her.

David75
Sat, 10-12-2013, 04:19 AM
Hit in the head, memory loss/alteration. No wonder he would not recognize some poeple.
And his dreams might replace someone from the past with someone he just met.
Hard to really get any usable input from that.

Now the Mitsuo/Kaga couple is something that starts to get a bit too long for my tastes.
We keep talking about Kaga, but Mitsuo probably also has his own flaws. Even if Kaga is a busy body, his attitude also is negative at least for himself. After all, he always thinks about her, uses most of his energy to avoid her. Hard to build anything from that.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-12-2013, 06:21 AM
What's this thing about escaping from hospital Kraco? Isvthis all derived from the missed call from a hospital or were there other clues?

Kraco
Sun, 10-13-2013, 08:46 AM
What's this thing about escaping from hospital Kraco? Isvthis all derived from the missed call from a hospital or were there other clues?

The very beginning of the episode. He's walking through forest wearing what looks very much like hospital patient clothing and there's a bandage around his head, to boot.

Actually now that I watched it for the second time, it seems to me the person holding the flashlight might be the Festival club woman.

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-13-2013, 09:02 AM
Actually now that I watched it for the second time, it seems to me the person holding the flashlight might be the Festival club woman.This has been what I'm thinking. That's why she's acting so weird around him. Does he not remember her because he was on painkillers and still hurt?

Ryllharu
Thu, 10-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Golden Time - 03 [HorribleSubs] (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=483896)

Universal Snowflake Parade Unificarians!

-----------------

Okay, now I am convinced that Linda is Banri's old girlfriend or whatever. Banri lost his memories, refused to see anyone "Old Banri" once spent with, and he spent a year recovering in the hospital (and they are a year apart in college).

That would perfectly explain all the weirdness around the way that she acts. That kind of familiarity, but sort of a hesitant reserved distance. It's like she starts to get close to him, only to realize that she shouldn't be acting this way with a stranger wearing the face of someone she was close too, or something is different from the Banri she remembered.

Japan sure seems to have a lot of really strange creepy cults that love to hang out on the mountains (the real life ones are even weirder). I have to hand it to Banri though, that was some quick thinking to get everyone out of there, even if Koko nearly blew it. On the other hand, if Koko wasn't there, maybe they would have brainwashed him!

I know Koko said a lot about how she's only "complete" when she's near Mitsuo, but it's really hard to believe her when she's a more natural, honest self when she doesn't have to worry about him seeing her act out. It feels more like she's been trying to cling to the idea of marrying Mitsuo and being compatible with him for so long, that she's forgotten who she actually is.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 10-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Japan sure seems to have a lot of really strange creepy cults that love to hang out on the mountains (the real life ones are even weirder).

Must be their general lack of religion as a nation. Shinto is more of a tradition than a belief.

I know Koko said a lot about how she's only "complete" when she's near Mitsuo, but it's really hard to believe her when she's a more natural, honest self when she doesn't have to worry about him seeing her act out. It feels more like she's been trying to cling to the idea of marrying Mitsuo and being compatible with him for so long, that she's forgotten who she actually is.

This. She is a lot less annoying when she is with Banri. I don't even see how she and Mitsuo ever got along at all, or how she even thinks that Mitsuo is a tsundere.

Kraco
Fri, 10-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Must be their general lack of religion as a nation. Shinto is more of a tradition than a belief.

Some of them really must be sponsored by yakuza as well. Surely that's not all fiction, considering how they are more often than not all about money.

Okay, now I am convinced that Linda is Banri's old girlfriend or whatever. Banri lost his memories, refused to see anyone "Old Banri" once spent with, and he spent a year recovering in the hospital (and they are a year apart in college).

That would perfectly explain all the weirdness around the way that she acts. That kind of familiarity, but sort of a hesitant reserved distance. It's like she starts to get close to him, only to realize that she shouldn't be acting this way with a stranger wearing the face of someone she was close too, or something is different from the Banri she remembered.

If she was also the one who drove over him (by accident, I'd reckon), it would explain her behavior all the more, and why she didn't insist on seeing him and why she hesitates now.

I guess the Festival club was using the real seminar building they passed on their way to the cult temple. That would explain Barbara Linda's presence there.

I have to forgive some of Banri's behavior now in retrospect, seeing as how his circumstances are quite harsh.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-18-2013, 10:34 AM
I felt really sorry for Banri. His explanation of amnesia really made me see it in a different light. He was afraid he would disappoint everyone because he was no longer the same person. That is indeed extremely lonely and scary. Even people trying to be mindful of his condition will trigger such a reaction from him.

Kouko (not Koko) really needs to forget Mitsuo. Banri and her have a much better combination going. I would have rooted for the pairing had it not been blatantly declared by the OP.

I think that other girl with the strange hair colour is deplorable. I dunno, but I think she is the pretend to be cute but is actually an ass type of person.

Kraco
Fri, 10-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Episode 4 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=486254)

- -- - - - - - - -

A jolly good episode. You can also see this show is the real deal with Banri confessing this early. He thought the timing was unfair, but I think it was quite a cool timing: Kouko got her feelings rejected earlier, but now she definitely knows someone loves her, and not just any nanpa dude but somebody who has seen her at her worst and best. At least she shouldn't feel all alone and worthless knowing someone is admiring and thinking of her.

I have to say the scene where Kouko stormed the stage was pretty funny. I guess she genuinely is a bit of an idiot.

Nobody was surprised by the photos Banri found back home, though, since we all had already guessed pretty much that much.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Just to add to the believability of Kouko's rampage and the sudden confession, in the LN, they were both pretty drunk.

It seems the anime version will cut out all the alcohol, so I suggest that if you see something hard to believe, it is probably because they were drunk in the original text.

The anime pace is amazingly fast. It'll probably catch up to the translated novels in the next episode or two. That is great, because the translated text is harder to understand than moonspeak.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Nobody was surprised by the photos Banri found back home, though, since we all had already guessed pretty much that much.

No surprises there besides the fact that Banri went back on his own accord to early on. I don't really understand his motives for doing so, since he was saying that accepting his old self would destroy his current self. Linda's haircut was a surprise I suppose. It could have just been a growing up thing, or it could have been symbolic for her trying to cut her ties with her old self to move on.

Kouko was a total bitch here, more so than any previous episode. Had Chinami been more noticeably hurt I would have thought it was completely unforgivable.

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-26-2013, 05:00 AM
Buff, you forget that Kouko is a complete idiot. She's spent years making sure that Mistuo believes she is this perfect woman, a perfect match for him. She hides all of her flaws with a psychotic diligence. Her week-long preparation and retrieval of her scrap books (6 volumes of only her an Mitsuo!!?!) shows how delusional she is. She took a single phrase that Mitsuo never took seriously even though he remembers it too (how could he not with her around), and turned it into her life's goal from kindergarten until now.

Banri is the only person who has seen the real Kouko in probably a decade, other than maybe her immediate family (but we have no idea what they're like). He likes the real Kouko, not this illusion she's created. That's why his confession wasn't just thrown aside as pity. The two of them understand each other on a level few others can. Banri is an illusion to his family and former friends. But the reason he distanced himself from them is because if he pretended, he would be a fraud to himself. Kouko's persona is a complete fabrication. Her confidence, assertiveness, bitchiness...all fake. What she is is an idiot, desperately and hopelessly in love, and an extremely diligent worker.

I'm also really glad that they cast Horie Yui. I can't imagine anyone else playing her. Kouko has so many similarities in personality to late-volumes Naru (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=character&charid=42)it is uncanny, though in personality she's more like one of the two female leads in Haganai.

Regarding Chinami, I agree with one of shinta's earlier posts. If she had outright cried, I would have been convinced she was faking it. There is something...off about the way she reacted to Kouko's panic-induced bitchiness. She takes it quite casually until Kouko steps on her foot. She's a year older than the other three, and in the film club, so being good at acting just like fake-Kouko isn't beyond her reach. I think she was just taken aback by the extreme level of assertiveness that Kouko went to. Something like the intensity of Kouko's attack broke the perky mask she likes to wear. The same way that Mitsuo's sudden anger broke Kouko's in front of Banri.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Just as a matter of definition, I only call someone as wearing a "mask" if they do it deliberately to deceive. Kouko's sounds more like a knee-jerk reaction contrary to her own desires. I also have some trouble writing off Kouko as just an "idiot". She's delusional and in love (perhaps delusional because she's in love), but I don't think she's mentally inept. On second thoughts, perhaps she is an idiot.. but I just don't like how they write her off like that. It seems irresponsible when they do.

As for Chinami, I can't remember the last time someone with shoes stood on my exposed toes.. but I think I would be in quite a bit of pain and annoyance. I certainly would not be standing around going "umm... my toes are...".

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-26-2013, 10:18 AM
She's not a brain-addled idiot, like the friend in Kill la Kill or Astraea (http://i.imgur.com/Qmedfcu.jpg). She's an anime-idiot. More like "manifestation of our idiot blood" from the best show last season that no one watched or magical girl Ilya. The kind where you use "ahou" instead.

Ryllharu
Thu, 10-31-2013, 03:31 PM
Golden Time - 05 [HorribleSubs] (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=488627)

-----------------------

Well...the whole "spirit of Tada Banri" is lame, but necessary so we can understand his missing past. I still think it is stupid, but without a Regaining All His Memories at Once "I remember everything!"-type cliché, there's not really a good way to do flashbacks, considering this series is only from his viewpoint, with occasional cuts to Kouko being lonely.

I wonder if anyone else in the series thinks that its weird how Linda only refers to Banri by full name, and everyone else is addressed normally. Considering she was probably his girlfriend, she's a good actress. She either convinced him in his addled state to follow her to Tokyo, or she got caught in her own lie and had to attend school in Tokyo herself if she was going elsewhere.

As for Kouko, now that she can finally be herself, she's a little crazy. Her angry wrath toward Yana after being rejected is funny, but her clingy, neediness toward Banri is a little creepy. She's doing girlfriend-like things with the matching mirrors, but adamantly stating that they are friends after he confessed to her. I think it is largely because she doesn't know how else to act. She's been stalker-girlfriend to Yana for so long, and I doubt she had any real friends in the meantime. She's just been focused solely on him, and doesn't know how friends act with each other, so she's forced to fall back on girlfriend-tactics. It's funny and pathetic at the same time.

Kraco
Thu, 10-31-2013, 04:50 PM
Kouko is certainly strange, but it all makes sense based on the earlier eps. She was strange before the rejection in the extreme stalker way, now she's without a husband target, so the craziness is bursting out in different ways. I found it quite cute, like you said, that while she's emphasizing "friends" all the time, in many ways she's still acting like the girlfriend she has never been outside of her delusions. I'm somewhat happy she didn't simply switch from Mitsuo to Banri. It would have felt a bit hollow and this way she's actually showing character growth. On the other hand it's a bit cruel toward Banri, but I wonder if she's got a clue at all about that detail. Surely she does realised, at the very least, that she hasn't given him any sort of answer, but the longer she keeps repeating "friends", the more that will become the final answer, no matter how understanding Banri might be.

Still, Banri has other things to ponder about right now, so that will buy Kouko time. I just hope there won't ever appear too heavy a triangle. Perhaps the OP indeed told without doubt how this will end making it a useless worry, but I would really feel sorry for Kouko if Banri now switched to Linda for the sake of his lost memories and the ghost hanging behind his shoulder.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-01-2013, 01:03 AM
at the very least, that she hasn't given him any sort of answer

To all intents and purposes, they both know that he's rejected for not (wee 10:22). The only difference is that she'll be implying him to stop advancing on her if she said it out loud properly.

wonder if anyone else in the series thinks that its weird how Linda only refers to Banri by full name, and everyone else is addressed normally.

I think someone, sometime would pick up on it down the track. It seems like a way for Linda to "stranger-zone" Banri for now. If she refers to him by something more friendly she won't be able to keep up the act. I find the current Linda to look not only older, but tired. Maybe she's just not cheery, or it comes with her act. She's definitely not cute.

Did anyone else laugh at the idea that Banri the shepherd goes to Kouko every morning to deliver his "cheese"? I did. :p

Kraco
Fri, 11-01-2013, 03:02 AM
To all intents and purposes, they both know that he's rejected for not (wee 10:22). The only difference is that she'll be implying him to stop advancing on her if she said it out loud properly.

Oh, right. For some reason I misread that as something like because I was rejected...

So, she's so desperate to have even a single friend around (now, before she can make more the normal way and tell Banri to let go and forget her) that she doesn't care how cruel this is to Banri?

Man, a part of me is already starting to hope Banri will drop her promptly and go for Linda... I'll have to take back everything I said in my previous post.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-01-2013, 03:21 AM
Horrible typo on my part.. but you made enough sense of it anyway. I think they're doing alright at the moment anyway, considering Banri and Kouko's relationship. Kouko's not ready to really consider Banri as a proper candidate yet. Banri got the confession off his chest, but I don't think he's after a solid answer at the moment either. Both would rather continue their friends-yet-secretly-admiring relationship, so I don't consider it particularly cruel. If it went on for many more months without Yana-san in the loop then I'd have agreed.

Kraco
Fri, 11-01-2013, 04:50 AM
Both would rather continue their friends-yet-secretly-admiring relationship, so I don't consider it particularly cruel.

I guess it's up to Banri to decide what to make out of it and in what light to consider it. Since he likes her, I guess just being able to be near him is enough for him, for a while, especially since he's sensitive enough to realise things aren't easy for Kouko either, after her make-believe lifelong affair with Mitsuo ended. However, since Kouko had dedicated her life to a one-sided love, you'd think she realised Banri's position and that it can't continue forever. It has to end one way or another and in the meantime the more friendly she is toward him, the more he will suffer.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Did anyone else laugh at the idea that Banri the shepherd goes to Kouko every morning to deliver his "cheese"? I did. :p

You are not alone.

Ryllharu
Thu, 11-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Golden Time - 06 [HorribleSubs] (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=490911)

-----------------

I guess it is a good thing that Spirit Tada Banri no longer inhabits the body, because...what a fucking loser. Current Banri is a better person in pretty much every way. He has confidence, determination, and while he certainly has his fair share of troubles, given what we saw with Drunkoko, he's not overwhelmed by them. He's not the type to whine about wanting an answer. He either gets one, or is content to move on.

Sure, I feel a little bad for Linda, because due to her reaction the answer was probably (but not guaranteed) a yes. She might just be overwhelmed with guilt, so I'll leave the interpretation of her answer open. She'd be better off forgetting about old Banri (a tall order no doubt) and realizing that current Banri is superior in every conceivable way.

Too bad she missed her chance twice. Kouko decided she can't live without him. I'm sure that there's a lot more to go through, maybe even a breakup-separation-reconciliation phase cliché, but Kouko finally gets to be herself with someone, and Banri gets to become his own person.

I did like Banri's line about him being just as guilty as trying to erase everyone from his past. Further proof that current Banri is a man while Spirit Banri was, and still is a little boy.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-08-2013, 09:49 AM
I don't get why Banri is suddenly so conscious about his old self. He's constantly said he's a new person who doesn't remember anything about the old one. He sure doesn't remember anything to do with Linda, so what's so wrong about Linda treating him as Tada Banri and not the old Banri?

He pretty much left home because he didn't want the expectations, but now he's being having a fallout when someone does exactly as he had wanted? That sounds like a whiny bitch to me still. He's gotten better, but it's still here. He's a kid who tells people not to be so overbearing to him, then gets upset when they actually stop.

He's not the type to whine about wanting an answer. He either gets one, or is content to move on.

The "repeat falling" act sounds more like he wants to move backwards.

As for Oka-chan... I agree with your previous comment. She's not as "cute" as she looks/acts.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Oka is fucking evil.

Banri treating Linda differently is eons away from Linda treating Banri differently. Banri did not even know they were acquainted, and he had no choice in ANY of his interactions. I think he was being way too strict when he judged himself negatively for his actions.

Linda on the other hand, knows everything. She clearly had a choice to reveal herself or not, but chose the latter because of her guilt. Imagine knowing someone is acting in front of you intentionally for an unknown reason. That is how Banri feels right now, at least before Linda confessed her feelings.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Linda on the other hand, knows everything. She clearly had a choice to reveal herself or not, but chose the latter because of her guilt. Imagine knowing someone is acting in front of you intentionally for an unknown reason. That is how Banri feels right now, at least before Linda confessed her feelings.

But doesn't he want that? He wanted people to treat him as the current Tada Banri, not a shell of the former Banri. Linda tried to do just that. He just suddenly decided that it's not a great idea after all and wants to to retrace his past? Seems... a little forced.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-08-2013, 11:39 AM
He does not want to be treated as a new Banri. He does not know which Banri is real. He doesn't even know who the old Banri was. He is confused, and rightfully so. Treating him without prejudice relating to his loss self is different from pretending that valuable memories did not even exist, or blatantly pretending to be a different person who is unacquainted with his old self.

Linda did not even consider Banri's feelings. She clearly said so herself. She felt that Banri was a bomb that would explode if she touched him. It was not about Banri, but Linda's feelings.

Imagine knowing someone is faking every single action related to you. How would you feel about that person?

Ryllharu
Fri, 11-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Oka is fucking evil.
I wouldn't say evil. Two-faced for sure, but it is a bit too soon to say whether she is actively malicious, or just after being the center of attention and popular by playing cutesy.

But doesn't he want that? He wanted people to treat him as the current Tada Banri, not a shell of the former Banri. Linda tried to do just that. He just suddenly decided that it's not a great idea after all and wants to to retrace his past?
The difference is, like shinta said, in their relative knowledge level and their intentions. Banri realized he was being as just much of a dick as Linda is a liar by pretending he doesn't know his own family or old friends. Sure, they'd be hurt at first, and interact with him using kid-gloves, but eventually they'd get to know the current Banri if he allowed them to do so. He was pushing them away out of fear of hurting them.

Linda on the other hand, was actively deceiving him. What tips Banri off is those shoes. He knows Linda knows him at this point, and that they used to be quite close. He's amazed that a pair of shoes that a club member is trying to sell fit him perfectly. They're 20k Yen shoes! Then he finds out that Linda was trying to sell them. Moreover, once she finds out it's Banri who fits them, she gives them away for free. That wasn't a "impulse buy" and a sale, that was a very specifically chosen gift, but delivered in a very bizarre method. He's noticeably weirded out at each step in this process of that scene, but covers it up too at the end so the others don't notice.

Banri was unintentionally hurting others without realizing it, but he has no memories of them. They're strangers who tell him they're family. He thought by keeping them distant, that he was keeping them from being hurt by his not Tada Banri existence.

Linda has been clandestinely keeping Banri in her life, keeping him just within arm's reach, while very deliberately lying to his face.

Kraco
Fri, 11-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Banri has said that he's greatly bothered by people either expecting his current persona to disappear and the old one come back (=heal from their perspective) or that he's (mistakenly) getting the feeling they think so even if they don't. That would make him pretty sensitive to people being dishonest in his company. Once he found out Linda did know and was a pretender, it was all over.

I wonder if Kouko simply wanted to live without love, free, for a while. She had dedicated a good chunk of her life, in vain, to loving Mitsuo, so it's not altogether incomprehensible she might have felt that way. Although at the same time she has never felt what it's like to be loved back. She's sort of psycho, though, so she's better off with a target of obsession.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Judging from the preview, that does not seem to be the case. Heart shirt omg.

She was probably just confused because she was in love with a different guy for so long. Maybe she felt it cheapens her long held feelings if she switched to Banri all of a sudden.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Imagine knowing someone is faking every single action related to you. How would you feel about that person?

I'm not entirely sure since I don't share his circumstance.

Based on how I understand myself at the moment, I would prefer that people treat me as who I am now and not who I used to be. If it requires them to suppress their "first" response to remember that I am no longer the old Buff, then so be it. I'll give them some time. If it drags on long enough and they still can't interact with me for who I currently am, then I'd present to them with the same choice that Tada Banri gave Kouko: "You can't seem to forget an 'old someone'. I can't be with you like this. Please choose to either forget them or we'll just part ways. You'll become somebody 'Banri' used to know and vice versa".

That's how I thought Tada Banri looked at himself too. He felt uncomfortable with everyone at home interacting with him when they were simply waiting for the old Banri to come back. No one actually wanted Tada Banri to stay.

Tada Banri's a confusing mess for me this episode. He didn't care about his identity before since he can't remember it.. but now he does (even though he still can't remember it). All of our flashbacks have been from Ghost Banri. Tada Banri's not slowly reliving them through his dreams. I can't understand why he suddenly changed his outlook. According to my above analysis, he also took 2 different approaches to treating Linda compared to Kouko.

edit: missed a page.

The difference is, like shinta said, in their relative knowledge level and their intentions. Banri realized he was being as just much of a dick as Linda is a liar by pretending he doesn't know his own family or old friends.

That's the point. Tada Banri wasn't pretending he doesn't know them. He legitamately doesn't. No pretending there.

After reading your (multiple posters') posts, it seems you're thinking that Linda hopes or expects old Banri to come back while she interacts (deliberately) with Tada Banri? In that case, I'll agree. She's a dick there since she's not interacting with Tada Banri for who he currently is, but for who he was.

Her case is fundamentally different to how Tada Banri treats his family however. I still can't see the connection besides "people get hurt by what I'm doing" commonality. That in itself isn't really significant.

Linda has been clandestinely keeping Banri in her life, keeping him just within arm's reach, while very deliberately lying to his face.

If she's keeping him within arm's reach, then sure. See my comment about "forget the old me or GTFO".

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-08-2013, 10:10 PM
I think Banri wishes for his current self to be recognized, but even so, he still finds the fact that Linda acting indifferently and blatantly lying to him displeasing. I think the approach Linda should have done was to openly introduce herself to Banri, yet still see the current Banri without pressuring him to recover his memories.

Rather than caring about his old self, I think it is simply the deception and his confusion as to the reason for it that caused his outburst towards Linda.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-08-2013, 10:18 PM
I think Banri wishes for his current self to be recognized, but even so, he still finds the fact that Linda acting indifferently and blatantly lying to him displeasing. I think the approach Linda should have done was to openly introduce herself to Banri, yet still see the current Banri without pressuring him to recover his memories.

That would make her into the same people as the rest of his family. She might not be pressuring, but she'd hell be preferring and expecting Tada Banri to merge, if not change to his old self.

Besides the shoe issue, I don't think Linda really lied if we consider Tada Banri and Banri as two different people. She doesn't know the current Tada Banri (besides the hospital escape scene). If they're as separate as Tada Banri would like them to be, then I truly believe that Linda isn't lying to him. If anything, she's lying to herself since she considers them both to be the same person.

On the other hand, if Tada Banri considers his old self to still be a part of himself.. then he should be more accepting of people's views about the whole issue.

Linda is the first person who knew Banri's past but actively tries to deal with just the current Tada Banri. Tada Banri suddenly doesn't like the results so he's reversing all the views he had, is that right? :S

Rather than caring about his old self, I think it is simply the deception and his confusion as to the reason for it that caused his outburst towards Linda.

Yeah, the "confused about reason" part gets to me. For me the obvious (from Tada Banri's eyes given his perspective on himself) reason to do so would be because he isn't the old Banri, so there is no reason to interact with him and expect him to be.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-08-2013, 10:31 PM
But Linda clearly stated her reason. She said that she saw Banri as a bomb, and that if she told him the truth she would lose him again. Linda was not acting in order to treat Banri as a new person, or even in his best interest. She was pretending because it was easier for her and because of her fear.

Considering the old Banri and the new Banri as 2 different people only works if Banri is unaware of the old connection. In fact, he was getting along with Linda just fine until he saw the pictures. Whether he likes it or not, old Banri is still him, so are his relationships and deeds. From Banri's perspective, Linda was lying her socks off. Banri asked about her motive, and judging from his reaction, he certainly thought it was negative. You have to admit that it is certainly creepy for a close friend to pretend to be a stranger.

Also, Linda's actions cannot be said as actively trying to deal with just the current Banri. Her extra attention, kindness, the shoes, all those would not be there if they were not close friends before. She is doing all those either because of affection or guilt which should not exist if she really intends to treat the new Banri as a different person. Heck, Banri would probably be even less relevant than the senpais in the background.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-08-2013, 11:45 PM
edit: tldr - my main gripe is why Tada Banri had a sudden change of mind about his outlook all of a sudden that someone actually pretends not to know him. It's not even that - he wondered long and hard about what Linda and old Banri's relationship was. Why does it matter when he doesn't remember it and didn't care about remembering it until not too long ago?
But Linda clearly stated her reason. She said that she saw Banri as a bomb, and that if she told him the truth she would lose him again. Linda was not acting in order to treat Banri as a new person, or even in his best interest. She was pretending because it was easier for her and because of her fear.

That was indeed her reason, but only after Tada Banri pumped it out of her. He was acting weird towards her before she disclosed her reason. He didn't know why she was acting the way she did, but he didn't like it either way. That fact alone was part of the problem I had with him.

Also, Linda's actions cannot be said as actively trying to deal with just the current Banri. Her extra attention, kindness, the shoes, all those would not be there if they were not close friends before. She is doing all those either because of affection or guilt which should not exist if she really intends to treat the new Banri as a different person. Heck, Banri would probably be even less relevant than the senpais in the background.

So is the the problem here that Linda's pretending that she didn't know the old Banri, but isn't doing enough and is letting some "old affections" coming into play? I'll agree here. If I was Tada Banri (who I thought was all about "accept the new me or get out"), I'd get Linda to either accept me as who I am now (or put up a perfect act), otherwise just spill the beans and I'll leave.

Considering (Buff's Q: Who is doing the considering? Tada Banri, or other people?)the old Banri and the new Banri as 2 different people only works if Banri is unaware of the old connection. In fact, he was getting along with Linda just fine until he saw the pictures. Whether he likes it or not, old Banri is still him, so are his relationships and deeds. From Banri's perspective, Linda was lying her socks off. Banri asked about her motive, and judging from his reaction, he certainly thought it was negative. You have to admit that it is certainly creepy for a close friend to pretend to be a stranger.

It does seem as if Banri is now not separating himself like he did at be beginning of the show. I admit(ted?) that. What I don't see is why got such a transition all of a sudden.

-------------------

Personally speaking, I'd still be able to and prefer to keep my pre-amnesia self separate. If I was in Linda's physical position during the toilet scene (and I was to make an argument about why I pretend to not know him), I'd say something like:

"I know a guy who cried when the class forgot his picture. I knew a guy who we grew up with me throughout highschool, who (insert xyz experiences here). Do you (Tada Banri) have any recollections? That guy happened to look like you. His name was also called Tada Banri. But he got in an accident one time and I never saw him again. I met you, Tada Banri, not too long ago. I don't pretend not to know you. I don't know you."

shinta|hikari
Sat, 11-09-2013, 01:15 AM
@TLDR: Because pretending to not know someone you were close to after he/she loses their memories is weird. It is normal to feel displeased/angry when people lie to you, especially if you do not know the reason. Banri didn't change his outlook.

If Linda and Banri never met after the memory loss, I don't think he would care much even after seeing the picture.

Kraco
Sat, 11-09-2013, 03:49 AM
Banri didn't even know what his and Linda's relationship was. Perhaps he was afraid they were already a couple and thus he hesitated to approach her after he saw the pics. From the beginning of the show he has been pretty eager to get his first girlfriend, I'd say, but then he suddenly found out he might have had one before the accident. Since he's a very decent guy, he might have initially even felt a bit bad chasing Kouko if Linda was still technically his girlfriend.

Even though he hopes everybody would treat him as the new Banri, he's not stupid enough to expect that to happen. His family is the most troublesome lot of all, naturally, and the same ought to go for old friends. The worst detail of it all is that those people logically shouldn't mean anything to him. He's told they are his family, but he feels absolutely nothing, yet sees the desire in their faces. It's like an adult man absurdly adopted into a family without his own consent, just because he happens to look a lot like the family's original, dead son. Linda isn't any exception. Trying to treat him as a perfectly new acquaintance is underestimating his intelligence.

David75
Sun, 11-10-2013, 12:34 AM
I'm following Kraco on this.
He had a very good female friend he was in love with and was waiting an answer from her to start and share her life in Tokyo.
Although very differently, he was basically chasing a love target like Kouko is.
He clearly doesn't know what to do anymore, he's angry after himself for being in love with Kouko and chasing her when he was so in love with Linda and chasing her too... and the fact he was able to forget so completely something/someone so important.
Since he couldn't do much about that anger, he turned it towards Linda and Kouko, using the fact he doesn't want to wait anymore. After all he was in a similar position both time: waiting for his love target to share his feelings, but that was draging on both times.

Now we need a better explanation for the accident. Linda was very late the day she had to give an answer to Banri on that bridge. She sped up quite a bit I guess. But I wonder how/why she ran over him. That part feels strange, because I see no good explanation to how it can happen.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-10-2013, 12:53 AM
After all he was in a similar position both time: waiting for his love target to share his feelings, but that was draging on both times.

That would suggest that he's prone to using that move on a girl. If that's what you mean, that is.

He can only be angry at forgetting Linda. He can't be angry at forgetting all the important things they did (such as waiting for her at the bridge, or that he was chasing her for years) since he doesn't remember it and has never been told it.

Archangel
Sun, 11-10-2013, 02:44 PM
First he mans up by telling Koko to fuck off and then he runs off into the bathroom after a semi confrontation with his ex, talk about hero to zero.

This is all progressing too smoothly, if i had to guess i'd say this will end with Koko finding out what she's feeling isn't really love but some need for companionship or how a need to love in general. Anyway i predict lots and lots of drama.

If Oka turns out to be a two face maquiavelic bitch i'm giving this show a 10/10, fuck Toradora now this is how you tell a love story.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Judging from the way she turned down Mitsuo, I'd say she is.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-14-2013, 09:53 PM
HS - Episode 07 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=493100)

---------------------------

Having just caught up on Nagi no Asukara, this is all like child's play. Comedy comes first before any sort of romance now. Oka might not be as malicious as I thought. She's still very situationally aware though.

Linda's answer turned out to be rather convenient. Now that even the rich parents are okay with Banri, things seem like smooth sailing from here on (except for the whole Paris thing. Poor Banri. xD )

Kraco
Fri, 11-15-2013, 03:03 AM
I thought the funniest scene was first Mitsuo running when Oka appeared, then Banri doing the same when Linda appeared.

Mitsuo was right: It takes an exceptionally tolerant man to suffer Kouko's nature. Banri not only tolerates it, he actually enjoys it. Somehow I get an impression he will also continue to enjoy it. It's quite funny the parents are realistic enough to know what sort of daughter they have.

Kraco
Fri, 11-22-2013, 03:48 AM
Episode 8 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=495272)

- - ---- - -- - -

Looks like Banri is longing for his lost past, after all, despite telling the opposite earlier and fearing for his current personality. I suppose that's natural. I wonder if that past is gradually trying to restore itself. Maybe it's beginning with feelings rather than concrete memories if his outburst means he's (re)developing romantic interest for Linda. That's going to be sad and tough for Kouko. Normally I'd say Kouko knew what she was getting into by going together with a brain damage patient, but Kouko is not really a normal person herself. In fact I still can't decide if Kouko's interest in Banri is 100% genuine. Or if she's even capable of normal, pure love.

Regardless of the outcome, I do hope Banri isn't such a giant douche he would secretly keep meeting and communicating with Linda, getting more and more strongly attached to her behind Kouko's back. Considering he really does like Kouko, that would only mean his memories are coming back and are replacing his current self. Because, honestly, his old self was such a wussy it would two-time out of fear (insecurity), indecision, and general loserness.

Archangel
Sat, 11-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Banri is such a fucking bro, holy shit

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Rather than "remembering", it's more like Banri is being re-possessed. A split-personality mess would be really heavy though. Interesting.. but hella messy.

Kraco
Mon, 11-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Rather than "remembering", it's more like Banri is being re-possessed. A split-personality mess would be really heavy though. Interesting.. but hella messy.

You think the ghost isn't actually memories and the old personality being restored, but rather the new Banri trying to recreate the original one based on the bits and pieces he has been learning and even more so imagining? I'd consider that quite a stretch. Although psychologically speaking the more he tries to deny it and tell himself the old one doesn't matter, the more he's actually thinking about it, which might even restore genuine memories.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-25-2013, 11:02 AM
You think the ghost isn't actually memories and the old personality being restored, but rather the new Banri trying to recreate the original one based on the bits and pieces he has been learning and even more so imagining? I'd consider that quite a stretch. Although psychologically speaking the more he tries to deny it and tell himself the old one doesn't matter, the more he's actually thinking about it, which might even restore genuine memories.

I think Ghost-Banri actually possessed him for a sec.

Kraco
Mon, 11-25-2013, 11:33 AM
So, the original Banri exists within the new one, safe and sound, but is locked in some kind of coma, while the new Banri without any memories is in control? But now that control is cracking?

That's quite strange, indeed. But then again, I haven't studied medicine, so I wouldn't know if such things happen.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-25-2013, 12:07 PM
So, the original Banri exists within the new one, safe and sound, but is locked in some kind of coma, while the new Banri without any memories is in control? But now that control is cracking?

That's quite strange, indeed. But then again, I haven't studied medicine, so I wouldn't know if such things happen.

Ghost-Banri got knocked out of Banri. He's currently hanging around Banri because that's where he gets his supply of essence. Right now he managed to re-control his body for a moment before being kicked back out again. He may or may not realise what is going on. Banri should have no idea what is going on and just suffers from lapses in memory. Ghost-Banri eventually should figure out what's happening and since he's watching Banri while he's "out", he'll know everything.

That's my idea anyway. This isn't based on medical knowledge but more on weird-anime-plot inspiration.

Kraco
Mon, 11-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Umm... Maybe, but for the moment I'd like to think this isn't that much of a fantasy story, but rather the ghost is just symbolic for the sake of the audience or it indeed represents old memories and feelings that are slowly returning to Banri (and is real in that sense). In other words either a dramaturgic device or a depiction of the real, suppressed original personality in the damaged brain, trying to heal itself. Or a bit of both, naturally.

Ryllharu
Mon, 11-25-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm going with Kraco. Banri isn't a ghost, he's a "locked-in" personality. Like a coma in that he can't control the body, but gets all the sensory information, and has access to his own memories. The same way that Tada Banri is "locked out" of his old memories.

Though I also agree with Buff that old Banri "possessed" the body for a minute there. Tada Banri thought he fell asleep, a pretty common reaction from the more recent realistic portrayals of DID.

It's more like split personality stuff than it is recovering lost memories or anything supernatural. They've been separated for so long they they've become separate. Old Banri implied that if he 'drifts too far,' that is, loses his focus and concentration on the present sensory information, he'll disappear and be locked in permanently. He describes himself as the "spirit" of Tada Banri, which I take to mean "the intent" of Tada Banri, like "in the spirit of...". The persona of the past Banri.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 11-25-2013, 08:12 PM
So why the hell did Linda just ignore it like that?

Also, was she really telling the truth about the "No"?

Ryllharu
Mon, 11-25-2013, 08:18 PM
It's hard to tell because she is such a good liar, but I would wager that she actually would have answered "yes" to wuss Banri, judging solely from the flashback where she felt looked absolutely gutted after finding out he had heard every word. Maybe she really means the "no" toward the new Banri, who isn't nearly as needy or lacking in confidence.

edit:
I got totally caught up in the discussion about Banri and forgot about the scene with Oka and her natural enemy, a prideful and selfishly obsessive Koko. Perhaps Koko instinctually recognized that Oka uses her tears and true, less cheerful personality as weapons to ensnare the hearts of men.
(As if Koko is any different...)

Kraco
Thu, 11-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Episode 9 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=497656)

- - - - - - - - - -

Well, this is getting interesting, even if not necessarily all positively in my opinion. Still, a really long chunk of the episode was about cheating and eternal faithfulness, which is pretty funny considering Banri's current situation. Of course the new Banri is as oblivious as always, but if the old Banri is indeed regaining the body back, he would have a splendid opportunity to prove to the whole world just how insensitive he is by running to Linda. Not that he really would have any best options available, though. He's not really responsible for the new Banri's deeds and interests, but they are still the same person. Since no memories seem to be leaking to the new Banri, it looks like a genuine split personality case. A bit unfair, though, with the old Banri seeing everything the new Banri does but not vice versa. On the other hand that leaves the old one no excuse to simply ignore the new Banri's life.

This will leave Linda in an equally tight spot. I'm sure she wouldn't particularly enjoy robbing Kouko's man, especially when she's reminded of such antics every time she sees her brother. But if old Banri comes back, he won't love Kouko, so it would be a pretty empty affair in the long run. Kouko wasn't living her strongest moments when Banri pushed her into their relationship proclaiming his love, so maybe we will get a jolly nice boat ending if the old Banri comes back and drops Kouko like a rock to chase Linda once again. Honestly, every flashback we get of the old Banri makes him look more and more capable of performing the vilest of things all the while wearing the innocent smile of a child.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-28-2013, 11:47 PM
I don't like where this is going. Like I said earlier, shit's going to get hella messy.

Ryllharu
Fri, 11-29-2013, 07:56 AM
I don't like where this is going. Like I said earlier, shit's going to get hella messy.
Quick, someone call Yuki!

I'm not too happy with past-Banri regaining control, even if it is temporary, but I guess he wasn't quite as much of a pussy as I thought he was. He had some good lines back then too, so we can sort of see where Banri gets it from.

Koko doesn't deserve this heartache though. She's not sick at all, that's for sure. I don't get why he wouldn't go visit her though. Phone calls aren't enough when your girlfriend tells you she is helplessly anxious...unless they are a complete psychopath with major trust issues, but Koko isn't that kind, she's the stalker type. She was probably awake and heard everything on the balcony, when she was stopped from sneaking outside for some alone time with Banri.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-29-2013, 11:09 AM
She was probably awake and heard everything on the balcony, when she was stopped from sneaking outside for some alone time with Banri.

Yep, that is definitely what happened.

The shitty part about all this is that old-Banri doesn't give a shit about Kouko. She also has no emtional support. Linda has the rocker-senpai to cheer her up. Banri is the cheer-up person for Kouko. Mitsuru could listen, but she'd have to be really desperate before she resorts to him.

Archangel
Sat, 11-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Messy isn't even a strong enough word, shit's about to hit the fan in a very big way.

Kraco's right, interesting. Very interesting.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 12-01-2013, 07:11 AM
I for one like this development. A ghost banri trying to act normal as he tries to figure out if his control is permanent, and if it is okay to steal his life back sh ould be great comedy and drama.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-13-2013, 02:24 AM
HS - Episode 10 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=499686), 11 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=501856)

-----------------------------------------

I'm glad the development didn't turn out as serious and convoluted as what episode 09 suggested. I was relieved when Kouko showed up to in episode 10. The atmosphere just feels so light with her around.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 12-13-2013, 12:52 PM
An admitted stalker, who knows how irritating she is. Interesting to say the least.

Is Banri going to cheat? It is no longer a matter of ghost takeovers. It seems the two (or at least the emotions) are merging into one.

Kraco
Fri, 12-13-2013, 02:10 PM
I feel like the past few episodes haven't really build anything between Banri and Kouko. More like the opposite, even when they are together, they are drifting apart because Banri keeps thinking about Linda so much. Contrary to that, Banri and Linda seem now closer than they ever were, including the time when Banri hadn't yet lost his memories. Back then Linda clearly wasn't actively interested in Banri, or hadn't realised her feelings in other words, but after she lost Banri, it suddenly hit her what she had lost. Now she can't keep herself in check, despite some superficial efforts.

Considering all that, nothing fancy even needs to happen between those two to make a big difference. A seemingly little step and Banri can't think of anything else anymore, seeing how he struggles even now. He's a dude with little mental fortitude and willpower. The kind of solidity we saw in the beginning of the show was forged by the harsh experience of losing his memories, forcing him to build a wall around himself. Even though he isn't concretely regaining his memories yet, it seems to me like his behavior is getting closer to what it was before the accident. That must be due to his isolation and self-proclaimed special status disappearing. When he keeps socializing with people, getting new friends and experiences, becoming just another student among others, he's not anymore a special case of emptiness but a regular person again, most of the time.

Is he going to cheat? I reckon he already has, more or less. At the end of the day he hasn't yet got that far with Kouko, so relatively speaking he doesn't need to do anything much to get farther with Linda. The fact he's not a man enough to speak to Kouko tells something about him as well, even if he could use some fancy excuses to explain it later, if he cowardly chooses to.

David75
Fri, 12-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Linda likes Kouko, Kouko likes Linda. Why not have both girls? :D

Ryllharu
Fri, 12-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Kouko does not really like Linda. She's not fond of any girl that is overly friendly with Banri. Kouko tolerates Linda.

Kraco
Fri, 12-13-2013, 05:18 PM
It still amuses me every time Kouko calls Oka Miss Ultrasonic.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 12-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Miss Ultrasonic's first line and greeting in this episode made me cringe due to pain in my eardrums.

Her nickname is apt.

Archangel
Thu, 01-09-2014, 07:50 PM
Episode 13:

Holy shit this fucking punk ass bitch ghost, someone call an exorcist. Ghost Banri can choke on a bag of dicks

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-11-2014, 04:55 AM
Seriously. Fuck you Ghost Banri. You were a loser, your life is over. Making Badass Banri miserable and not kiss his girlfriend isn't going to hook him up with Linda. Linda had her chance too, and gave the correct answer at the time. She doesn't love ghost Banri, she feels bad that he "died". At best, she loved him the same way an owner loves a puppy, not as a man.

The best thing that ever happened to the collective entity of Banri is ghost Banri disappearing, and the new Banri emerging. He's a better person in every way.

Koko continues to be hilarious though. She's pathetic in an amazing way, but one that only makes you like her more.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 01-11-2014, 01:03 PM
The thing is, I think Linda is falling in love with the current Banri anyway. So the love triangle is most certainly alive.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Yeah, but that's because current Banri is great. Ghost Banri is still a fucking loser.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 01-11-2014, 04:21 PM
That has crab mentality.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-25-2014, 08:14 AM
Golden Time - 15 [HorribleSubs] (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=515555)

----------------

Fuck you Ghost Banri, eat shit and die once and for all. Sure, maybe he took control of the body and saved them from a head-on collision, but it was his curse in the first place.

Banri has the personality and drive to enjoy life no matter what is thrown at him, as shown in the rain scene. There's no way in hell that Ghost Banri taking back over could ever have a superior outcome. He's the worse version no matter how you look at it.

Oka wasn't too bad in this episode either. She's starting to grow on me. However, I do wonder about her obsession with the Okamera. it's not good to always be the observer, as Koko pointed out. She can capture good memories, but when she's behind the lens or has it on her, it is harder to participate. It reminds me of one of the themes of Tamayura, where Fuu has no photos of her father (except the one) because he was always behind the camera.

I was initially surprised that Koko has a license, but then again, a pro-stalker must always be prepared!

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-08-2014, 08:10 AM
Golden Time - 16 [HorribleSubs] (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=518064)
Golden Time - 17 [HorribleSubs] (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=520480)

----------------
Eps 16:
Koko is so adorably insane. But Banri, he is such a fucking man. Best protagonist in ages. Whatever happens, he just rolls with it. Such a nice split from the normal male lead...who happens to be how Ghost Banri is. Koko's family is a little nuts too, her father is oddly needy and pathetic inside the house, a huge contrast to how we've seen him outside.

Even if Banri somehow manages to lose his memory again, I don't think Koko has much to worry about the way Linda did. Koko would just stalk the hell out of the newest Banri and make him hers again.

Eps 17:
Mitsuo is such a man-ho. He goes from pushing Koko away to lusting after Oka, and then just gave up on her immediately, now he's after Linda. Oka has even hinted she'd still be open to a relationship with him, but she wasn't going to accept his advances without knowing her or vice versa. But instead of trying again, Mitsuo just gave up on the spot. What a wuss. He wasn't too bad the first half-dozen episodes, but he's pretty pathetic lately.

It's not like the scenario where Linda gave up. She had good reasons to not pursue Banri too hard. Every minute she's around new and awesome Banri, she's tortured by remember the old Banri she threw away before losing him forever.

I'm not too sure why Mitsuo is so seriously agitated about Banri and Linda possibly knowing each other. It seems a bit of a jump for the sake of the story. Shizuoka is a big city (700,000). However, Koko blew it. As much as Koko proudly states she knows every little thing about Mitsuo...he definitely is close to the same level with her. The non-concerned reaction she gave told him everything he needs to know. Koko is definitely the type to go a little over the deep end in worry about someone she's loves as much as Banri. The knowledge that he was seriously injured in the past would be something she'd be concerned about, especially after the car accident.

I'm disappointed that Banri didn't offer to take Koko home with him and meet his folks. The pair are pretty serious now, and he's already met her father a number of times (and even boiled water for him!). I guess that the Japanese don't bring girlfriends or even wives to school reunions the way people in the US do.

David75
Sat, 02-08-2014, 08:48 AM
I guess the slightly better story line has to do with the fact that the protagonists are a little older than in every other "romance" shows. And from the start they've been quite good at keeping everything very plausible. It is a story where too much happens, but appart from the ghost thing, everything could happen.

Archangel
Sat, 02-08-2014, 12:23 PM
I'm getting tired of this back and forth, first they want to forget original Banri and then they want to know him again. Make up your minds, the guy is dead anyway so either choice is fine but this going back and forth is just annoying.

Archangel
Thu, 03-27-2014, 05:14 PM
Well... that ending made no sense.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-28-2014, 10:34 AM
It made sense, it just sucked.

David75
Fri, 03-28-2014, 01:40 PM
It was alright, it just lacked some Koko fun.

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-02-2014, 04:39 AM
No, it didn't make any sense.

This show almost redeemed itself. Almost. When Banri looked at the mirror he had, and it flashed to being broken, all his memories of Koko came back. They had finally fixed some of the fucked up way that the author was treating amnesia (which most definitely doesn't work like multiple personalities).

Then they ruined it when phantom Linda came rushing onto the bridge. That basically blew the whole thing, and returned it to the pile of shit it's been the last several episodes.

Omitting Phantom Linda alone would have made it make sense, and actually resulted in the series not being terrible.

...then they drove the nails in and ruined it twice, with the ring reappearing in his pocket by magic, and giving Koko an out of character line that made her sound retarded.

I can't remember a time a series has fallen so hard. I may have even said something similar before, but this was a new low. This started as one of the best series of the season, and ended as one of the worst. I went from watching this the minute it came out, to waiting days and days and days to watch it.

Best character of the series? Nana-senpai (not to be confused with Linda). She's basically a saint. That and the tea-club girls.

Archangel
Wed, 04-02-2014, 01:48 PM
I can't remember a time a series has fallen so hard. I may have even said something similar before, but this was a new low. This started as one of the best series of the season, and ended as one of the worst. I went from watching this the minute it came out, to waiting days and days and days to watch it.

Ok ok, though i agree with the sentiment i still believe there was enough good in the beginning to counter the way things turned out. The way i see it the novels are still running, the characters and the setting is still all there so there is room and hope for redemption, and if that doesn't come to be i'll still choose to remember the good over the bad.

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-02-2014, 02:16 PM
Let me describe it in a different way:

Author: "You know that really great main character we have?"
Viewer: "Yeah, I really like how he's assertive, not whiny, and not weak willed. He's got confidence. Pretty rare these days."
Author: "Yeah...that's cool and all, but I want to make him more relatable."
Viewer: "How so?"
Author: "I want to make it so he was a whiny little bitch constantly pining after his childhood friend."
Viewer: "Oh...I guess that's okay. He's a pretty cool guy now at least. I can live with that."
Author: "Welllllllll...I also want to make it so that happens in the present too."
Viewer: "You mean like have his childhood friend show up again to bring back that drama."
Author: "Yeah, I guess...but that's not really enough drama. I also want to make him randomly a little bitch like he used to be."
Viewer: "Oh, that's kinda weird, but as long as their is a good enough reason for it."
Author: "Amnesia!"
Viewer: "..."
Author: "I know, it's such a good idea that you're speechless! I'm also going to make it so he starts becoming more and more of his old self."
Viewer: "A whiny little bitch?"
Author: "Yes! Exactly! Isn't it great? It's an effect of the amnesia. Sometimes he might even talk to himself or his old self will be an observer."
Viewer: "That sounds like multiple personalities."
Author: "Nah, this is how amnesia works. I saw it on a live action drama once."
Viewer: "..."
Author: "Then his old memories will sabotage him, and there's even a little supernatural elements to it."
Viewer: [clutches head]
Author: "And then, in the end, he'll return to being a little whiny bitch and in love with his childhood friend, only to get back his memory after making a big deal of permanently losing it. Oh, and more supernatural stuff."
Viewer: [just walks away]

shinta|hikari
Wed, 04-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Were there ever really supernatural stuff? I had always assumed that the ghost scenes are image representations of emotions and internal changes in Banri. Even the last part with Linda shouting "yes!" was just showing that the old Banri was content when she admitted her feelings.

What he has really isn't amnesia though. It is more like his accident created a new personality, so DID.

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-02-2014, 06:09 PM
What he has really isn't amnesia though. It is more like his accident created a new personality, so DID.I agree with you, but they repeatedly call it memory loss. The doctors also treat it like amnesia from physical trauma with the occasional bout of anxiety. If they had called it DID, I'd be happier.

Also, his new personality was the better one, but they decided to do away with it, and leave him with the original terrible personality. Koko rejected him once before when he lost the confidence and carefree attitude that attracted her in the first place.

I feel like their relationship will always be on shaky ground now. He's back to being relatively weak-willed, not someone who can handle an adorable nutcase like Koko.