Sat, 10-05-2013, 09:48 PM
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9027/vxog.jpg
Alternative title:
Daiya no A (Japanese) [others: Diamond no Ace, Dia no Ace]
ダイヤのA (Japanese)

Genre:
Comedy, Shounen, Sports (baseball)

Summary:
The story follows Eijun Sawamura, a pitcher who joins an elite school with a brilliant catcher named Kazuya Miyuki. Together with the rest of the team, they strive for Japan's storied Kōshien championships through hard work and determination.

Links:
ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=15337), AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=9881), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/18689/Diamond_no_Ace)

HorribleSubs - Episode 01 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=480023)

MFauli
Sun, 10-06-2013, 10:26 AM
pretty run of the mill-sports anime, but enjoyable. didnt like the "girl in the team"-thing, is that even allowed in reality? other than that, well, this looks like a "you get what you want"-anime, no surprises, simply some good team work and friendship, coated in baseball. will keep watching.

David75
Sun, 10-06-2013, 11:09 AM
I had some laughs, so I can forgive any shortcomings.
Will happily watch ep2

MFauli
Mon, 10-14-2013, 03:10 PM
continues to be great, however, that scouter women is too hot, it´s honestly distracting, lol.

David75
Mon, 10-14-2013, 11:44 PM
Beating Azuma was a bit anti-climatic.
But I guess he served his purpose and they didn't need him for more than that.

KrayZ33
Wed, 10-16-2013, 04:54 PM
lets see how the first match will look like, so far its a few leagues below Oofuri

MFauli
Sun, 11-10-2013, 08:02 AM
surprisingly fun match between the beginners and more experienced players. Looking forward to a training arc, now that we´ve witnessed Sawamura´s limit.

I actually grew to enjoy his goofy, loud-mouth nature. Just hate it when it´s combined with underestimating the opponent. But that didnt happen here, so it´s good.

MFauli
Sun, 01-19-2014, 04:55 AM
huh, this thread got buried deeply.

still enjoying this anime a lot. but why the hell do the rookies have such a problem eating their meal? makes no sense to me. doing sports all day => lots of hunger afterwards. At least that´s me. :>

David75
Sun, 01-19-2014, 05:37 AM
huh, this thread got buried deeply.

still enjoying this anime a lot. but why the hell do the rookies have such a problem eating their meal? makes no sense to me. doing sports all day => lots of hunger afterwards. At least that´s me. :>

I guess you never really had sports in your life... you can't even begin to understand.

When you're really serious about it, you need so much energy that your body can't even afford digestive functions and you get sick if you eat anything. When you're there, that just shows you need to train your stamina even more.

If you don't know that, all you did was have fun. Not sports...

MFauli
Sun, 01-19-2014, 05:46 AM
well, thx for the passive-aggressive insult. I do know that right after doing an extensive sports session, youre not necessarily feeling hungry. But some time has gone by when they´re sitting in front of their meal. Seemed odd to me.

KrayZ33
Sun, 01-19-2014, 01:47 PM
edit:meh

I don't really enjoy watching this, I dropped it right after they went up to the first string... its too "over the top" for me + pseudo drama

gos27
Wed, 01-29-2014, 07:58 AM
I absolutely love this, look forward to it every week more so than anything else!

Killa-Eyez
Sat, 02-01-2014, 08:51 PM
I absolutely love this, look forward to it every week more so than anything else!

Except for HnI: Rising, I agree. Though it is over the top and the story is nothing new, this series is just simple fun (especially if you started out with a batch of 16 eps). I am on a quest to watch the best possible anime that could be created so I was gonna call quits after the 3rd ep. Glad I didn't.

MFauli
Sun, 02-02-2014, 06:12 AM
Feels weird. Everybody was praising Sawamura´s slide step or whatever, but wasnt it just pure luck/coincidence that the ball landed in his glove? If I were the coach, I definitely wouldn´t consider him the ace of the team, since he´s far too reliant on spontaneous occuring circumstances.

Sure, from an anime-watcher´s point of view that makes it more interesting to observe, but an ace simply needs more continuity, more stability in his play. When every single throw turns into a gamble, something´s wrong.

David75
Sun, 02-02-2014, 12:44 PM
The coach thinks those guys are incredibly talented noob pitchers. Since they are noobs, he needs them to get real game experience.
That match exactly is that. It's even better that they are exhausted from the camp. The coach can see for himself how they behave at their limits in a top-tier game.
Remember that their team lacks a monster pitcher. Tanba is top-tier, but he can last a season alone and isn't in the monster class.
Seidou is extremely lucky to get two probable monster pitchers. But they need to have them grow fast, Sawamura being the MC, he's the one that should outgrow everyone, with Furuya being a catalyst, Miyuki and Chris giving guidance.

gos27
Sun, 03-02-2014, 06:00 PM
It seems like every episode ends in a cliffhanger :mad:

MFauli
Mon, 03-03-2014, 03:09 PM
What I dont understand is what´s in it for these girls. Oh, so youre "managers", okay. So what? All you´re doing is cleaning up stuff and handing out drinks and food to the boys. Submissive much?

shinta|hikari
Wed, 03-05-2014, 10:26 AM
They want to support their team in any way they can. By doing so, they become a factor for their success, and can take some credit for that. They also go with them to the Koshien if they win.

MFauli
Sun, 07-27-2014, 02:04 PM
man, i wonder if every game from now on will take as many episodes as the one against the last team. I could see this getting boring rather sooner than later. But since Seido´s next opponent only seems to have one special guy, maybe one or two episodes are enough to portray the outcome of the match.

MFauli
Sat, 08-23-2014, 08:42 PM
episode 45 is out
-------------------

kinda pisses me off that theyre wasting so much time on this match. As if Inashiro would lose here.

MFauli
Sun, 10-05-2014, 04:27 AM
episode 51 is out
-------------------------

nice, Narumiya awakened his angel powers. now let´s see what captain Ikari´s batters can do :D

MFauli
Sun, 12-28-2014, 03:21 AM
episode 62/63 are out
---------------------------

man, you´d think that some of them are about to kill themselves. super heavy stuff.

I wonder how they´ll go about the next arc. Captain election, okay, but then? Hope they skip a lot of time, so we can re-enter watching at a state where the leftovers have already turned into the monsters they need to be.

MFauli
Sun, 02-22-2015, 04:44 AM
episode 70 is out
---------------------

hm, it is somewhat interesting whats currently going on with sawamura, but i have two complaints:

1.) This happened in the past several times: Im fearing that at some point theyll randomly shrug off this gloomy, desperate mood with some goofy comedy. Which sucks, cause they always spend so much time on a serious build-up, then be like "oh whatevs". So my hope is that Sawamura comes to a realization and thus improvement on his own and without mood-changing. Seeing him all gloomy reminds me of Yuki-senpai, the previous captain, and it´d be somewhat nice if sawamura became more like him, especially since the team is missing a level-headed, ambitious leader right now (sorry, glasses-kun, youre no yuki-replacement).

2.) The biggest problem: Baseball is about throwing balls and trying to hit balls. Unless Seido suddenly becomes a team of perfect scores, their pitchers balls ARE DESTINED to be hit occasionally. The current sawamura gives off the impression that he´d falter with any given hit AGAIN, so he really needs a new approach to when this happens. And it will happen, cause even the best pitcher gives away some throws, see Inashiro.

MFauli
Sat, 04-25-2015, 04:53 AM
second season starting with 3 weeks of flashbacks. wtf

David75
Sat, 04-25-2015, 05:31 AM
I guess they didn't see another season beig greenlite, so they needed those recaps to deliver further episodes on time...

Munsu
Sun, 04-26-2015, 10:10 AM
Well, just caught up.

I used the read the manga when it first came out but didn't keep on reading, so watched this instead which went beyond where I left off.

In general, as a baseball series is solid. But same problems with most spots anime, in particular baseball, it's so damn slow... this series being among the slowest, at times at a ridiculous level.

Secondly, it's too narrow focused on the baseball games. There's no life outside of it, no character interactions, etc. This guy could learn a thing or two from Adachi.

Oh well, hope to see this continue after these last 3 episodes of recaps, what the fuck is this, Naruto?

Munsu
Sun, 05-03-2015, 08:21 AM
Episode 4 of season 2 is out... AKA, the real first episode of season 2, new OP and everything.

Anyways, really enjoyed this one. Is it just me, or is the atmosphere/music throughout the episode a bit different than usual?

Regardless, looking forward to seeing Sawamura bouncing back soon.

MFauli
Sun, 05-03-2015, 09:23 AM
I hate how this show ALWAYS self-destructs any serious feelings/atmosphere. One moment, Sawamura is super depressed, then one dialogue later he´s super motivated. It makes all those events less interesting, because ... why should I care about a situation that´s likely to change within minutes? It also makes me think how Sawamura thinks of ever being the ace - after all, a single homerun would send him back into full-on depression.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-03-2015, 11:53 PM
Watch Major.

Munsu
Tue, 07-28-2015, 09:16 AM
I've been rooting for the opponent in the latest episodes. In part I kinda like them, and for another I want to see Sawamura pitch.

Anyways, we're up to episode 17 of the second season now.

MFauli
Tue, 07-28-2015, 09:43 AM
I HATE that small guy with the drug-influence, half-closed eyes. Such an annoying mascot character. Seriously, I want him to be shamed by Kuramochi and the others >_<

Anyway, looking forward to next episode, finally Sawamura´s turn.

Also, why is this thread only on page 2, lol? A quality, long-running anime, and nobody cares? Pff!

David75
Wed, 07-29-2015, 04:59 AM
Slow pace and nothing really out of the shonen anime tropes, if only some slow paced character evolution.

MFauli
Mon, 08-03-2015, 08:55 AM
new episode is out
----------------------

man, this anime really needs more variety when it comes to cliffhangers at the episode´s end. always ending with a ball in air. yawn.

Munsu
Mon, 08-03-2015, 05:32 PM
Can you include the episode number instead of the generic "new episode is out"? It helps for discussion reference.

Anyways, just got home from work, will watch soon.

Munsu
Mon, 08-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Well, just watched episode 18... what a terrible and boring episode. After marathoning the Haikyuu!! series during the weekend, this in turn was tedious.

And further more, the 2nd half of the episode had one of the most ridiculous sequences I've ever seen in a baseball anime... 6 minutes to throw one freaking pitch, to say nothing of how once the catcher signals and takes position it takes about 4 minutes for Sawamura to throw the pitch. I mean, that just borders the absurd.

MFauli
Tue, 08-04-2015, 01:31 AM
Ume-chan is pretty much Freezer at this point, and Sawamura is channelling his inner super saiyan :> So 20 more episodes

MFauli
Mon, 08-31-2015, 12:28 PM
ep 22 is out
------------------

ffs, can Sawamura PLEASE just for once not enter his goofy-mode, where he plays like shit?

I don´t want him to give away any points to this opponent team. He needs to show off his skills/strength, and that won´t be the case if he lets them have some points, before getting a grip and shutting them down. He needs to be good from the beginning, not after making several mistakes, sigh

David75
Tue, 09-01-2015, 02:06 PM
I was also hoping he would be awesome and do at least as well as in training.My basis for hope was the fact is natural style was the palm grip he was so used to before he got to Seido.
Sadly, they had to sabotage that in the first ining...

Munsu
Fri, 09-04-2015, 10:17 PM
I was also hoping he would be awesome and do at least as well as in training.My basis for hope was the fact is natural style was the palm grip he was so used to before he got to Seido.
Sadly, they had to sabotage that in the first ining...

Completely agree.

I also can't make up my mind with the new coach. He sometimes acts like a complete villain and an asshole, but he also shows a lot of insight. So I'm up and down with him.

David75
Sat, 09-05-2015, 12:32 AM
I can understand that second coach stance, somehow. Right now he either is unneeded as there's already a coach, or he needs to take the place by force. It's quite similar to the ace position in the team.

Back to Sawamura: I wanted to precise that it's a shame they had to sabotage so soon in the first inning. Of course it happens in a match that pressure catches you back even when you're at the top of your game, but I was really hoping that would happen in the second or third after he shows how great he can be.

Munsu
Fri, 09-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Episode 23:

Well, at least Sawamura bounced back though some of his potential breaking balls had to be limited. I was hoping that when the opponent's coach was day dreaming about taking down a mammoth and landing on the Moon and such, that Sawamura would've struck-out the side while he wasn't paying attention. Thought it would've been funny.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 09-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Adachi would've done exactly that.

Munsu
Fri, 09-11-2015, 01:42 PM
Adachi would've done exactly that.

Now that you mention it, you're exaxtly right.

MFauli
Mon, 09-21-2015, 09:53 AM
episode 25 is out
----------------

yeah!
its so good to see Sawamura NOT screw it up for once. Nice.

I also really don´t like Furuya. He gives the impression that he wouldn´t be able to be part of team as NOT the ace. Never understood what makes him so good anyway, cause the only special thing about his throws is their speed.

Munsu
Mon, 09-21-2015, 10:26 AM
episode 25 is out
----------------

yeah!
its so good to see Sawamura NOT screw it up for once. Nice.

I also really don´t like Furuya. He gives the impression that he wouldn´t be able to be part of team as NOT the ace. Never understood what makes him so good anyway, cause the only special thing about his throws is their speed.

Yeah, nice game for Sawamura... but you know what's going to happen in the next game right? He'll screw it up somehow lol.

As for Furuya, I agree to a degree. Considering how Sawamura acts when Furuya is pitching, hard to really criticize him for it if you don't apply the same objectivity to Sawamura as well.

A bit disappointed Haruichi's brother wasn't around to see the home run and the defensive play.

MFauli
Mon, 10-05-2015, 11:20 AM
episode 27 is out
-------------------

good episode. However, I just cant shake off the feeling that Ochiai kouchi is planning something terrible. Hope that Furuya doesnt get too strong again with his new sliders.

The 1st vs 2nd string game should be neat, although the outcome feels obvious with ALL the popular fielders/hitters being on the first string team. Then again ... if Sawamura manages to fend off every single batter, that would be awesome.

Edort4
Mon, 10-05-2015, 05:48 PM
I fell behind and watched a bunch of eps. I like how Sawamura became at last a reliable pitcher even though the gap with Furuya seems to keep growing after those fast - breaking balls and the whole bunch the coach has in mind for him.

Dunno what to think about this match. I think that it should be a close match until mid game, due to the thrive for recognition of the 2nd team but as teh game goes on their weakness must start to show and the maturity/experienice of the 1st string should be enough to wipe them out in the last innings.

I have 2 different feelings about this. Is the coach trying to show the 1st string (and those listening to the new coach) that his methods of rushing things are dangerous or is this to settle the thing about leaving/resigning the team showing that Ochiai is a good coach that can help them grow faster and get victories so giving them the feeling that even if his methods are different he is still a great (selfiss) coach.

I wonder how Sawamura will do against the 1st string. I can see him getting Home Runned a couple of times by Miyuki.

MFauli
Mon, 11-16-2015, 08:31 AM
episode 33 is out
------------------------

omg, please dont have Sawamura fail again :/ We had that already.

Edort4
Mon, 11-16-2015, 02:14 PM
I dont think Sawamura has failed so much. He was just 1 of the factors that made them lose against Inashiro and not even the major one. Tanba failed completely at that game and Kawakami did a "poor" job. The anime makes it look as if it was the end of the world but Sawamura did better than both Tanba and Kawakami. He closed 7th inning. 8th got 0 gave 0 runs and 9th he loaded bases but left with 2 outs. If the next pitcher would have done its job (like he did in 7th) they would have won.

Its true that if you compare him to Furuya always looks like he is failing, cause Furuya always overperforms. Anyways going into the current events I have the feeling that they should lose here. If they win they go finals, and losing again on finals is to redundant and if they win finals they go to nationals and what motivation is left for the 2nd year of Sawamura and 3rd of Miyuki. Sawamura should make Miyuki go to nationals on his last year. Not on this second rating summer nationals for "drop outs" that only "losers" take seriously.

MFauli
Mon, 11-30-2015, 11:07 AM
episode 35 is out
---------------------

omg, Miyuki sooooo cool :D

And it was so nice that Kawakami got a chance to prove his worth to the team, too.

Very curious to find out about the final. Looks like Miyuki might be too hurt to play :>

MFauli
Mon, 01-04-2016, 10:53 AM
episode 39 is out
----------------------

man, so good.
buuut ... i get the feeling they´re already emotionally setting up Yakushi for a win. :/ With Furuya being injured, I can just see Seido lose. Really would love to finally see them play at Koshien. Also, I want them to prove that their old coach is a-ok.

David75
Mon, 01-04-2016, 04:14 PM
Kawakami is the weakest pitcher in the team, even in his best moments except his last game closing.
Miyuki will probably have troubles finishing the final.
But they can always have Sawamura shine when he's least expected to.

MFauli
Mon, 01-18-2016, 03:56 PM
episode 41
------------------

nice episode, developing many of the side-characters. My favorite part was Todoroki being a shy guy outside of baseball, lol. Hope we get a post-game scene when his school friends react to finding out about him.

Kawakami ... I just always feel pity for him. Compared to Furuya and Sawamura, he just seems so fragile. Like, one wrong move and his heart and soul are broken. That´s really why I dont even wanna watch him pitch. He´s kinda adorable, like a pet :>

MFauli
Tue, 03-01-2016, 08:58 PM
episode 47 is out
----------------------

good episode that doesn´t end on a typical cliffhanger, nice.
Also great to see Sawamura taking out both Raichi and Sanada! He´s basically achieved the maximum that can be achieved against Yakushi, taking out their two best players. Well, now he´s gotta repeat that :>

Edort4
Wed, 03-02-2016, 05:37 PM
If they are already showing and giving lots of air time to next year players I would say this is a no go. Dunno if the writer wanted to end it a close call or they will get some homeruns in the 9th inning and leave Sawamura traumatized (wanting to overcome his weakness, blah blah blah) for the next arc until his 2nd year.

MFauli
Mon, 03-14-2016, 02:14 PM
episode 49 is out
----------------

omg, those steals! so tense!

Don´t fuck it up, Zono!

Seido has to win! No meaning in repeating the whole pre-Koshien tournament again. They have to!

MFauli
Mon, 03-21-2016, 02:47 PM
episode 50 is out
---------------------

I hate how this series keeps shifting away focus from Sawamura. It´s my one biggest peeve with this show. Sawamura was clearly introduced as THE hero of the anime, yet he keeps getting relegated to side-character status.

Now just don´t fuck this up, Furuya.

Although I admit that Sawamura is lacking the stability and reliability expected of an ace. Hope he gets another significant training session from the new coach.

MFauli
Tue, 03-29-2016, 07:50 AM
new episode is out
-------------------

Was that ... the last episode?! :/

Edort4
Tue, 03-29-2016, 02:59 PM
My toughts. Was that season finale or series finale? Looked more like series finale to me. But they still need to beat Inashiro and win at Koshien and a bunch of other things... I hope we get to see that in the future.

Munsu
Thu, 08-04-2016, 01:51 AM
Just managed to finish the series, I was struggling to get through it.

Was very disappointed how the series treated Sawamura, they made him too much of a running gag for my tastes. Hard to take him seriously as the main character. The series had good supporting group of characters, but the MC was completely ruined. Just the same, the series never really gave him a real opportunity to shine.

Anyways, last game was good overall. Everyone had their moments.

As for a third season, I see it very doubtful. Maybe in the far future, but by the looks of it, they're too caught up with the manga to really keep going.

As I see it, the anime pretty much covered the First Act of the manga completely, about 46 volumes.

There's a Second Act series, but it's only about 2 volumes ongoing at the moment. So very little. Maybe we can get a short series after a handful of more volumes, I guess it depends on what arcs the series currently has. Since they're beginning the tournament as far as I can tell, unless it's a quick exit, I just don't see it. And if that's all they have to offer, I don't see a reason to animate that alone either.

Anyways, not sure how I feel about the series. Just know I expected much better, particularly I expected a much better MC.

Edort4
Thu, 08-04-2016, 05:48 AM
Thx for the info. Judging by the time they will need to make another 40 volumes I doubt Ill see more of this. I think MC was Ok-ish. They didnt treat him well but in the end I liked that. Felt somewhat believable.

MFauli
Thu, 08-04-2016, 06:27 AM
Nah, I also thought Sawamura was handled badly. Every time you thought "fucking finally! Now he´s going to show everyone!", it was followed up by him doing something stupid and killing all the momentum. Meanwhile, his rival got to throw without any downtime, even got to be a hero when he threw despite an injury. For the entirety of the series, I had hoped to get to the point where Sawamura becomes a reliable hero. He never did. :/

Munsu
Wed, 04-03-2019, 12:39 AM
What's this? A new season?

Episode one:

https://nyaa.si/view/1132024/torrent

MFauli
Tue, 06-25-2019, 10:03 AM
Season 2 - episode 13:

God, Kuramochi is so awesome. He's a hero wasted as a side character in this anime ;(

MFauli
Tue, 09-03-2019, 11:10 AM
Season 2 - Episode 23:

Bah, dumb episode wasting all its time on other teams. But next week is gonna be hype. Sawamura!

I just hope he doesn't self-sabotage with some unintentional 'funny' bs again. Let him finally be a hero.

Nobody else watching?