Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-05-2013, 09:39 PM
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/1482/6dku.jpg

Alternative title:
ホワイトアルバム 2 (Japanese)

Genre:
Drama, Romance, Slice of life

Synopsis
Fall, when graduation is only half a year away.

Haruki Kitahara, the final member of the light music club that dissolved, plays his guitar by the window after school in preparation for the school festival. It was the one and only adventure of a good student who spent two diligent years on his studies.

But when a flowing piano melody and a voice as a clear as bell harmonize with his guitar… He goes from being alone, to being two, then three in the light music club, as the semester he dreamed of, no, hoped for, began.
-MAL

Links: ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=15274), AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=9823), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/18245/White_Album_2)

HorribleSubs - Episode 01 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=479930)

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-06-2013, 07:03 AM
I was hesitant to watch this because it will only cover the highschool arc (aka introductory chapter) of the VN, but after seeing my beloved characters again and reminiscing from the dialogue and music, I must say I will definitely watch this. It reminds me of how much I loved this kamige.

I really identify with Haruki. I love giving lectures to people I know as well.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-14-2013, 01:56 AM
UTW Episode 02 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=482686)

Touma!!!

Is anyone else watching this? Even as a high school anime, I find that the motivations and dialogue for this are better than others, so it is worth a watch even if you don't know anything about the VN or the first anime.

fireheart
Wed, 10-16-2013, 06:14 AM
I was reluctant to watch this since I remember not liking the first one at all but finally gave it a shot and I'm glad I did. Haruki has so far been a great male lead, not dense/pervert/idiot and gets things done and it goes a long way to have a likable male lead. Too early to say much about the girls though.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-20-2013, 09:01 PM
UTW Episode 03 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=484853)

Touma!!!

Did the brother just say that Touma was superior in looks to Setsuna? Height and breasts aside, how does someone who looks better than the school idol be left alone like that?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-17-2013, 12:38 PM
UTW - Episode 04 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=487277), 05 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=490701), 06 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=491657), 07 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=493931)

[ASL]_Uehara_Rena_-_WHITE_ALBUM_2_OP_ ED_-_Todokanai_Koi_13_[MP3]_[w_Scans].rar (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=490328)
[ASL]_Uehara_Rena_-_WHITE_ALBUM_2_OP_ ED_-_Todokanai_Koi_13_[FLAC]_[w_Scans].rar (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=490327)
---------------------------------------------

Wow. What an episode to catch up to (ep7). As fireheart said, the male lead really does make a difference. For once, he really does seem to deserve his harem appeal. Episode 07's love reveal came as a shock to me though. I thought the entire time (thanks to grayscale scenes in ep1) that Haruki liked Touma (who did or didn't like him back but had to leave anyway) while Setsuna's love was unrequited.

It's not that I mind how it turned out. WA2 accomplished a rare thing: it made my like both the female leads at the same time. Equally. Furthermore, it happened to girls who I'd normally have an issue with: the brutally blunt and the cutesy idol. WA1 was infuriating to watch in many ways, but one of those reasons is because it was deadlocked when Ogata Rina > all. In particularly, I had no liking for Morikawa Yuki. WA2 has me completely torn between the two. I really do want a Harem End because I can't be happy with either choice alone.

Plot-wise, the tightness is also what made this enjoyable thus far. The characters have a small goal and aim to acomplish it. The constant deadline countdown really helps put things into perspective too. Combined, we have a small but solid progression that I don't see too often.

I've found that this show has a weird habit of using the "shadow over eyes" look when it's unnecessary. Generally it's a meme to show that the character is hiding something in an upset/angry/unsatisfied way. It's mostly the case here, but sometimes (last happened during the concert when the camera had an extreme close up of Setsuna and a close up of Haruki) it seems to be used for no reason (budget?). It throws me off a bit.

The animation is otherwise good. The atmospheric use of lighting and sky colours remind me of ef. It lacks the detailed backgrounds of the latter though, so perhaps Kamisama Inai no Nichiyoubi is a better comparison in a way (that one looks cheaper though)

Did the brother just say that Touma was superior in looks to Setsuna? Height and breasts aside, how does someone who looks better than the school idol be left alone like that?

Anime dakara.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-17-2013, 07:28 PM
This really deserves better animation, but at least they actually showed Haruki's fingers moving in his guitar solo.

I completely agree with you that both female leads are very likable, but I love Touma more because she is just so innocent and clumsy.

Setsuna works as a character because she is probably the most complicated person in the show. She knows more than anyone else, and moves using that information, yet she does not appear devious at all.

I love the audience commentary about Touma's abnormal talent. Playing that well on so many instruments when your main is the piano is just amazing. That should have shut up all those who ever questioned her skills after transferring to the normal department.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-25-2013, 01:41 AM
HS - Episode 08 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=495909)

----------------------

"Kazusa, if only you were a boy I'd..." (filling in the blanks :3)

I feel rather bad for Setsuna. Her love is genuine and she really does want everyone to be happy. She's got the initiative but is also perceptive and kind enough that she feels guilty about having Haruki to herself. Add in the fact that Haruki and Kazusa are having such a close relationship (It's really just Haruki at the moment since Kazusa is trying to maintain the friend-zone now) and you really feel how Setsuna's silently suffering. The sympathy will be transferred to Kazusa at some stage though once (if?) Haruki starts developing obvious feelings for her.

Are Japanese in general okay with going to unisex baths?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 11-25-2013, 02:29 AM
No, not really. This is anime. I guess it just shows how much they all mean to each other.

So everyone, including the monkey guy, thinks that Haruki is closer or more interested in Touma than Setsuna. I wonder why they stopped the monkey from saying it out loud. It's not like Setsuna was there to get hurt, or Haruki was there to change his mind.

Were Haruki and Setsuna meeting secretly after school? I think Setsuna split off first, then Touma, but then Haruki met with Setsuna again right after. Why the need for such secrecy?

Touma's sudden change is suspicious. It feels somewhat forced.

Haruki failing at directions was a surprise at first, but then it dawned on me that I suck at directions too, despite having many nosy but responsible qualities similar to him. I believe that a sense of direction is instinctive, not intellectual.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-25-2013, 03:02 AM
So everyone, including the monkey guy, thinks that Haruki is closer or more interested in Touma than Setsuna. I wonder why they stopped the monkey from saying it out loud. It's not like Setsuna was there to get hurt, or Haruki was there to change his mind.

I think it was to stop further discussion on the matter because they thought it was bad to gossip like that. If you gossip once, why not gossip twice? Then it eventually reaches one of the three's ears and drama ensures. I suppose it's like the whole "This is a secret, so don't tell anyone else but.." scenario.

The girl(?) wondered why Haruki made the decision so quickly, so at first I thought she found him unsure about the two girls. After on she states that he should have waited till after graduation though, and I was confused. It could be her cop-out reason for not mentioning the real one (undecided commitment), but if it was true it simply confuses me. Why wait for graduation when you can go out now?

Were Haruki and Setsuna meeting secretly after school? I think Setsuna split off first, then Touma, but then Haruki met with Setsuna again right after. Why the need for such secrecy?

I'm not sure. Maybe Setsuna was just surprising him. She could also be doing it so Touma doesn't have to see them walk off to the station together holding hands and such. It's probably out of habit too since being all flirty at school could be bad for both of them given Setsuna's school idol status. Knowing she's dating someone is much less rage-inducing than seeing her getting all close and cuddly with another male I suppose.

Haruki failing at directions was a surprise at first, but then it dawned on me that I suck at directions too, despite having many nosy but responsible qualities similar to him. I believe that a sense of direction is instinctive, not intellectual.

Interesting. I've never wondered about that. Have you ever met a person who was great with directions but not intellectual? Perhaps even sucking at maths?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 11-25-2013, 06:20 AM
Just to clarify, directions in the geographical/location sense, not instructions.

Oyabun.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 12-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Nice plane ending, here we go!

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-08-2013, 12:07 PM
HS - Episode 09 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=498207), 10 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=500244)

--------------------------------

As enjoyable as it is to see Kazusa's side of the story, I still feel sorry for Setsuna the most. Kazusa's sure to have spent more time knowing Haruki, and the two obviously liked each other but they missed their chance. Now Setsuna's caught in their drama while they find out they both liked (or still like, rather) each other.

Seriously, people. If you like someone, persevere until you no longer like them. Don't just pretend you've gotten over them and move on to someone else, only to "regret" doing that and causing collateral damage in the meanwhile.

Actually, this was mostly Haruki's fault. He never openly confessed to Kazusa, while after the concert he calls Setsuna "the girl he's always admired" like Kazusa has no business there. He was the one who never asked Kazusa how she felt.

Even before this episode he's all "I have to confirm this (his feelings, I assume?)" Confirm this before you hop into a relationship.

I'm pissed off now.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 12-08-2013, 01:09 PM
I actually think this is more of Setsuna's fault. She already knew the two liked each other, but she still confessed her feelings just so she can remain in the trio. She is probably afraid that if the two become a couple, she will become the third wheel.

Haruki also likes Setsuna to a certain degree, which is why he accepted her confession, believing that he has absolutely no chance with Touma and that turning down Setsuna would hurt her. It was really short sighted but understandable.

Haruki is also an idiot for not even openly and bluntly (I mean, the signs were all there) expressing his feelings for Touma at least once. Actually, the two are similar in that regard. Everyone knew (or at least felt) how they felt for each other just from how they acted towards each other, excluding themselves. They are both too dumb and dense for their own good.

Haruki and Touma both acted ignorantly, and not out of calculated malice. Setsuna on the other hand, intentionally stole Haruki from Touma, knowing how the two feel about each other. She even forced Touma to keep close to them by calling Touma her best friend (Haruki also allowed this to happen, but he does not know Touma likes him and is therefore suffering). In the HS versions, Touma described the situation as "nightmare", but she actually said "torture" in Japanese. She felt as if she was being hurt intentionally, and she was, by Setsuna's greed in wanting both a boyfriend and her best friend. Now she is going to face the consequences of her actions.

Just to be clear, I don't think badly of Setsuna at all. What she did is also natural, because she really likes Haruki. I am just saying that the chaos is triggered by her confession with full knowledge of the risks and damage it might entail.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-09-2013, 12:09 AM
I see what you mean by "this wouldn't have happened if Setsuna didn't confess", but I feel the same could be said about Touma/Haruki being a cause because they're too conservative. edit: I think my stance really comes down to this statement:Given a choice between faulting a person for being honest with themselves or the two people who weren't, I'd choose the latter.

-----------------------------

Setsuna on the other hand, intentionally stole Haruki from Touma, knowing how the two feel about each other

Haruki was iffy. Setsuna knew how Touma felt and also declared her own feelings. She openly made war at the restaurant, so to speak. To me, it's still on Haruki for not being honest with his feelings in the first place (towards Touma), and now decides to double-dip after starting a relationship with Setsuna. Just as Setsuna has every right (and I do think she should exercise that right) to confess, Haruki also needs to decline if he feels that way. It's his bad decision.

I agree that Setsuna may have seen this coming, but I don't think it was out of malice. She was perceptive enough to know that Touma liked Haruki, and that Haruki may have lingering feelings for Touma. However, she's not perceptive enough to see through Touma's lie and wants to trust Haruki too much to confront him. Her confessions and actions are deliberate and intentional, but by no means carry the desire to harm. In fact, it's the other two's dishonesty that is constantly causing Setsuna to feel guilty. They're not telling her that they're in pain, but she's constantly in doubt and feels bad about it.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-09-2013, 01:16 AM
The two being honest about it would end up badly for Setsuna either way. If they were honest before Setsuna confessed, they would be a couple and Setsuna would be heartbroken. What we are getting now is the after confession scenario. If Setsuna wants the three of them together, there is simply no way for that to happen in their current situation.

Haruki clearly said this episode that he thought he absolutely had NO chance with Touma. They were blurting out their true feelings at that point, so he was not lying about that.

I think Setsuna knows the situation all too well. She knows Touma still likes Haruki, and that Haruki still likes Touma. That is why there are many scenes of her looking sad or guilty. My choice of words may be too harsh when I said malice (though I did not equate it to Setsuna's actions, it may have been read as so). The intention was not to harm them (though she knew it was going to happen, seeing as she apologized to Touma a lot) but to prioritize herself at the expense of the other two, which isn't wrong, but isn't admirable either.

I guess to summarize, I just want to say that I think the fault lies more on the party with more knowledge before taking action/inaction. If Haruki had known that Touma likes him (even just a little), I'm sure he would have turned down Setsuna's confession. He practically said so himself this episode.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-09-2013, 01:49 AM
The two being honest about it would end up badly for Setsuna either way. If they were honest before Setsuna confessed, they would be a couple and Setsuna would be heartbroken.

That's true, but I don't think it would have been to the same extent. She would have been turned down because Haruki liked someone else more than her. Right now Haruki's accepted her confession but ends up dumping her partway through a relationship. To me that's a lot more harsh and involves an element of betrayal.

What we are getting now is the after confession scenario. If Setsuna wants the three of them together, there is simply no way for that to happen in their current situation.

That would have been a problem for Setsuna to deal with since she has to balance two wishes, and that's more simple. Right now though, it's all... mangled.

Haruki clearly said this episode that he thought he absolutely had NO chance with Touma. They were blurting out their true feelings at that point, so he was not lying about that.

He thought he had no chance with Touma so did not pursue her. He however still had feelings for her and therefore couldn't like Setsuna wholeheartedly. I believe that you have to do that if you're to accept someone's confession. If you choose to accept the confession anyway then at least disclose that you're not fully committed at the moment but you'll try.

I think Setsuna knows the situation all too well. She knows Touma still likes Haruki, and that Haruki still likes Touma. The intention was not to harm them but to prioritize herself at the expense of the other two...I guess to summarize, I just want to say that I think the fault lies more on the party with more knowledge before taking action/inaction.

Hmm, see I believe that "knowledge" should not be guessed (as that is what Setsuna was doing), but told. I hate "reading the air" because it gives room for error. I also believe and support feedback loops. If someone was being dishonest (which is fine if they choose to be) or say things they don't mean (such as Touma saying to Setsuna that she's okay with Setsuna confessing), they have to pay the price for it should things go south.

It's also uncomfortable for me to think that the smarter of the two must make a call between taking/witholding action just because the rest of the party are wallowing in their own dishonesty and incompetence of expression. Touma is at fault here too because she couldn't decide on whether to be friendly with Haruki as per her own feelings, or keeping her distance as per her teacher's instructions. Going back to the feedback loop idea, I admit I believe that Setsuna should be rewarded for her straightforwardness. "Reward" doesn't mean the relationship has to work out. By "reward" I mean it should be encouraged, rather than discouraged (such as us blaming her here).

If Haruki had known that Touma likes him (even just a little), I'm sure he would have turned down Setsuna's confession. He practically said so himself this episode.

This part I have particular trouble accepting. Haruki shouldn't be accepting Setsuna as a backup, but for who she is. He should accept her once he is fully over Touma. That way, if Touma does end up confessing to Haruki after Haruki/Setsuna are a couple, Haruki would be able to describe his feelings for Touma in past tense (and no longer relevant) as opposed to present tense (and leading to himself being torn between the two).

------------------------

I really didn't expect our opinions to differ so much haha, given past experiences.

Given that you think the one with more knowledge had to make the call, would you say that Setsuna should have informed Haruki that Touma likes him before she confessed so he could make an informed decision? But then what about Touma's right to privacy? I think the fact that she told Touma about her intentions beforehand was very generous and sportsman-like already.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-09-2013, 02:17 AM
I think the best decision Setsuna could have made was to get the two together and move on, and if she is able to do that, the three of them can still be friends.

Setsuna isn't straightforward. She is smart and calculating, as well as very perceptive. I would not say that everything she did was calculated, but I am pretty sure the timing of the confession was. Any earlier or later might not have worked.

Haruki accepting Setsuna's confession was indeed wrong of him, but like I said, he probably also has feelings for Setsuna, just not to the degree of Touma, and he gave up on that love thinking he has no chance. He was doing fine with Setsuna (which was probably his intention when he accepted the confession) until Touma decided to reveal her feelings. All he did was be late to a party (that he didn't know was only for two, if he did he might have not gone off to Narita since he knows he is leaving Setsuna all alone) if that didn't happen. Now they are crying their eyes out and confessing on a road.

When I say it is mostly Setsuna's fault, I am not saying she is evil or wrong at all. It is just that she pulled the trigger (knowingly). If she did nothing, the other two would probably eventually come together, which is what was happening with the recent flow of events (staying over, teaching music for nights, taking care of the fever, etc.). The mess I believe is due to that confession, but I don't blame her for doing it.

I don't really disagree with you on anything major. I do find fault in every character in this show, and also redeeming qualities in each. All of their decisions make sense to me and I can sympathize with, especially if seen from their perspective. It all boils down to preference, because in terms of females, I prefer the clumsy pure dedicated ones versus the perceptive calculating manipulative ones. I don't really see one as being better than the other.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-09-2013, 03:01 AM
All he did was be late to a party (that he didn't know was only for two, if he did he might have not gone off to Narita since he knows he is leaving Setsuna all alone) if that didn't happen. Now they are crying their eyes out and confessing on a road.

Ah. I forgot about that. That's Setsuna suffering the consequences from her dishonesty right there (about holding a large party and everything).

I didn't quite get that part actually. She specifically made it sound as if it was one really large party even though Haruki requested a small one. It doesn't make much sense for her to do that. I suppose Haruki would be surprised to know if/when he turned up, but that would only because of a sense of artificially created disappointment.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Why would it be disappointment? Wouldn't any guy be happy that his girlfriend is finally going to open her legs to him?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Why would it be disappointment? Wouldn't any guy be happy that his girlfriend is finally going to open her legs to him?

He asked for a small/private party, but she said everyone would be there... only to actually have a one-on-one (maybe Touma may have turned up, but I only remember seeing 2 plates). He'd be surprised that it was a private party after all, but that's only a happy surprise because she tricked him and turned down his original request in the first place. That makes the expectation for a large party artificial, and a relative disappointment.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-09-2013, 08:21 PM
The setup was for a pleasant surprise, like pretending that you forgot someone's birthday (therefore lowering their expectations), then throwing a surprise party (thus taking advantage of the lowered expectations giving greater happiness and satisfaction). This is also in effect when people give fake crappy initial gifts only to follow up with something much more valuable.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-09-2013, 08:44 PM
I suppose. I was ticked off because he specifically requested something and got declined.. only to get it back.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-09-2013, 08:48 PM
No, I'm ticked off too. It's just like Setsuna to plan something like this. And it backfired on her again.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Really? I never really thought of Setsuna as being manipulative, and I thought this was out of character. She can act sweet and set up surprises, but I never expected her to do so by saying "No" to a request.

I think "timing" a confession right is something anyone with a few brain cells would try to do. Her wish to keep the three of them together was.. inconsiderate, but it wasn't calculated IMO (she wasn't thinking "Touma can't decline me if I play xyz card").

What other things lead you to think so (relative to my views) badly of Setsuna?

-----------

edit: Actually.. after some thought.. Setsuna from this episode vs my image of her is only one step apart. It might be a fairly significant difference for me but in the grand scheme of things it's not unlike her.

edit2: I just thought of how I wanted to express this: The main issue I had here was that Setsuna denied an earnest request from Haruki which left him pretty depressed. The seriousness of his idea being shot down due to playful antics was what made me think Setsuna took things too far this episode. And I agree with your last part - it's backfiring now.

Granted, I can't hate her entirely for it either. She sacrificed a fair bit on her end, declining (their last?) family outing together and all.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-09-2013, 09:26 PM
We have lots of hints of her manipulation. Even her declaration of her love for Haruki to Touma, the confession right after the live, her apology to Touma (making Touma pull back and give up), calling Touma her best friend (this was really unnatural. Touma does not treat anyone well enough to make them think they are best friends), meeting Haruki behind Touma's back, the hot spring trip that was designed to keep the 3 of them together, and now this birthday plan all point towards that.

This was definitely not out of character. She, from the very beginning, admitted that she shows a fake self in front of others and acts nice as if it were nothing (scene at the park with Haruki). She is a talented actress, and knows how to get on people's good side. There is something underneath what you see, even if it is not explicitly shown in the show, and I believe this is part of what makes WA2 great. It has depth.

She isn't a criminal mastermind or anything. It's just that compared to the other two, her plans and actions have influenced the situation (and the others' behavior) far more than the others.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-09-2013, 09:41 PM
We have lots of hints of her manipulation. Even her declaration of her love for Haruki to Touma, the confession right after the live, her apology to Touma (making Touma pull back and give up), calling Touma her best friend (this was really unnatural. Touma does not treat anyone well enough to make them think they are best friends), meeting Haruki behind Touma's back, the hot spring trip that was designed to keep the 3 of them together, and now this birthday plan all point towards that.

She isn't a criminal mastermind or anything. It's just that compared to the other two, her plans and actions have influenced the situation (and the others' behavior) far more than the others.

Well.. I suppose if you're equating influence with manipulation then Setsuna's really got a hand on top of the other two. (PS: made an edit2 to the previous post while you posted)

This is reminding me of a certain character in Magi (really tempted to just say it since no one else is here anyway...) [highlight: how can you not be like that if you're smart enough to see the situation and see the true value of things? -Sinbad]

her declaration of her love for Haruki to Touma, her apology to Touma - I really do think that's more about playing fair. She was bringing Touma's feelings out as well at the restaurant. If anything she knew Touma liked Haruki and wanted to play fair. After she told Touma her feelings, both girls knew they both liked Haruki. Confessing after the live was the best thing for any of them to confess so their feelings wouldn't distract from their preparation/performance. The apology was because Touma backed down for her (even though she didn't ask for it).

I really think she'd feel a lot better if Touma declared her feelings for Haruki as well, because then she wouldn't be all guilty. That's a really defining point for me. If the opposite was true I'd totally put her in the manipulation camp.

The hot spring plan was just a good-willed wish (both her and Haruki wanted that, neither of them realised how hurt Touma actually was.) Both of them saw Touma as a very good friend as well, so that's the one part I completely can't agree with you on.

Setsuna's is more perceptive and has more initiative than the other two (I actually fault the other two on this). Influencial.. yeah, on a relative scale. Up until this birthday thing (perhaps even now) I still admire her overall compared to the other two for knowing what she wants, being honest with herself and taking actions to realise it. Her considerations for the other two have been more than satisfactory*.

* excepting the birthday thing towards Haruki. That.. wasn't so satisfactory.

----------------------------

Are you able to describe why the closing part for WA2 is so highly rated (without spoiling)? I'm really curious about what becomes of this triangle but I'm not too confident that this will get a further adaptation.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-09-2013, 09:59 PM
There are 3 other heroines in the college stage and each of their paths are great and unique.

Other than that, there is the main girls' paths that continues to working age. Everything is well written, and you get attached to all the characters, even those you hate.

As an interesting side note, Setsuna's true happy end is my favorite ending, as much as I would hate to admit it.

The apology was because she confessed first and succeeded. I think she actually said something like taking/stealing Haruki away from Touma in that scene.

I'm pretty sure Setsuna knows that Touma is getting hurt, even if that is not to the extent of making her leave the country. Setsuna is not evil, but she is far from being as straightforward and nice as she seems. Just because you are doing something with a main motive, does not mean you do not have underlying intentions or other advantageous side effects you are aware off.

In terms of admiration, I would say I admire Setsuna the most among the three. She is the smartest, and played her hand in the best possible way. She tried to get a happy ending where there was none. However, I can empathize a lot more with Haruki (because we are similar) and Touma (because she is my waifu). I dislike Setsuna's ability to act nice and cute (something she admits to doing). I don't like characters who act kind and achieve results but are not so much on the inside.

fireheart
Tue, 12-10-2013, 10:30 AM
I think I share more of Buffalobiian view on Setsuna, manipulative feels like abit too strong of a word to describe her if nothing else because it has more of a negative connotation at least for me. Though thinking about it her actions does give mixed feelings, the fact that she honestly told Touma her feelings and tried to get Touma to admit her feelings could be seen as one of the best possible action depending on how Touma would react. But her calling Touma a friend all the time and going as far as calling Touma her best friend makes it hard for Touma to admit those feelings since she seem to treasure Setsuna as a friend as well. Anyway the point is if that's why Setsuna told Touma about her feelings because she was aiming for that outcome then yes I could see her as manipulative but otherwise no.

But otherwise the one that has been flaunting the relationship the most is Haruki. Setsuna hasn't really gotten that cozy with Haruki while Touma has been around and seems to want to keep things on the friendly level when all three are together, instead it's Haruki that initiates all the skinship. Then again it's understandable that he does.

Also I'd say the underlying motive is that she doesn't want a repeat of what happened with her other friends since that seemed to have left her quite hurt and scarred, perhaps that's why she's as perceptive as she is.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 12-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Also I'd say the underlying motive is that she doesn't want a repeat of what happened with her other friends since that seemed to have left her quite hurt and scarred, perhaps that's why she's as perceptive as she is.

You hit the nail right on the head with this one.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-18-2013, 02:33 AM
HS - Episode 11 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=502439)

------------------------------

Kitahara Haruki. I want to punch that guy SO badly. Touma was right that it's her personal choices which let things slip away, but Haruki double-dipping is by far the worst contribution to this shit.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 12-18-2013, 09:08 AM
So Setsuna saw Touma kiss Haruki after the live, which made her decide to take the initiative and risk the kiss confession. The risk didn't pay off, and now she is about to face the losses.

Haruki's only way to fix this would be to beg for forgiveness from Setsuna (not expecting to get it) then break up with her, then chase Touma to wherever. He's smart, so he can probably manage that.

I find it interesting that Touma's reason for slapping Haruki was not about guilt towards Setsuna, but jealousy from all the kissing that Haruki did with her. She really is a selfish brat.

There were some parts in the VN extra that these 2 episodes covered that didn't make it into the anime due to time constraints. The flashback has already ended so this isn't really a spoiler but supplementary information, but I wanted to add this here to flesh out Touma a bit more. It might have been implied in the anime, but it was not explained.

Spoiler:

All the instruments in the music room Touma uses is hers (her mother's). She brought all of them in and learned them in an amazingly short amount of time just to guide Haruki indirectly like she did with the piano. She never got the chance because of the events in the 1st episode.

It was Haruki's decision to make Touma use all of those instruments in the live to show the world how awesome she is, not knowing all of that skill was developed for his sake.

When Haruki gave Touma the book, he told her that he did not have time to practice because of exams, and Touma was disappointed. This gives a new twist to the scene this episode where Touma commented that Haruki got better after hearing his playing, because Haruki was lying about skipping practice. He was practicing his ass off, from about an hour in the past to 10 hours a day (like Touma half seriously suggested) likely to please Touma because he was never into music in the first place.

There was also a note inside the book which was only discovered after Touma found the book again, making all her effort finding it worth it. The content of the note was what he said directly to Touma when he handed off the book in the anime. The difference is that Haruki is a lot more shy and indirect when expressing his feelings towards Touma in the VN extra, and that scene was pretty touching.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-18-2013, 09:36 AM
So Setsuna saw Touma kiss Haruki after the live, which made her decide to take the initiative and risk the kiss confession. The risk didn't pay off, and now she is about to face the losses.

I'm... not sure how to read this. On one hand I see what you mean by "risk". On the other hand though, it gives it a bad tone as if she shouldn't have done or, or that she's now reaping what she sowed. The matter would have been simple if Haruki decided upon what he really wanted to do (and not just take what he can get). His pulling out here is what's causing a problem.

I still want to punch him for it.

If Setsuna "saw this coming", then that would mean she saw Haruki as a potential cheater. If I was in her shoes, I would have wanted (and chosen) to believe that my boyfriend was honest and sincere too.

Touma really is a sweet girl. I feel bad for her being caught up in this too. Sure, part of it is due to her stubbonness, but... fucking Haruki. I'm not sure that Touma slapped Haruki entirely out of jealousy. I think a lot of it was due to her realising how many times Haruki must have killsed Setsuna to be so well-practiced, which reflected how far the two's relationship has gone. I think the fact that Haruki will so readily kiss her (Touma) despite that angers her more than "How dare you kiss Setsuna so much". It wasn't the first thing that came to my mind.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 12-18-2013, 02:02 PM
The slap I'm pretty sure was out of jealousy. If it had been the reason you stated, she would not have worded it that way. She would have said something along the lines of "How can you kiss me bla bla" or "I can't do this because of Setsuna bla bla."

Saying "How many times have you kissed Setsuna!?" indicates that the problem lies in "kissing Setsuna", not the current kiss, which she was happily enjoying until Haruki went all tongue master on her. Guilt would not have necessitated many kisses or even one. Guilt should exist because Haruki and Setsuna are in a relationship, (and they are cheating) regardless of how developed that is. Jealousy on the other hand, directly increases with the amount of closeness the two have, which I believe was reflected in her outburst.

I don't think Setsuna saw this coming to this detail. Of course she didn't think Haruki would cheat (and I am willing to bet the characters in the show and the audience didn't really think so either), but she had to know that the chances of their relationship going well when she knows her boyfriend and best friend are in love with each other is pretty bad. That probability simply came true in the worst form possible.

Setsuna confirmed that Touma loves Haruki (a lot) when she saw that sleeping kiss. Remember how she acted when she wanted to get permission from Touma? She acted like she was unsure of how Touma felt, and that she was convinced that they (the 3) were going to be fine when Touma said so. She did all that, knowing how deeply Touma felt, and how clumsy she is in being unable to express that. How can she even think that it is going to work out after seeing that kiss?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 12-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Finale (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=506862)

I am quite happy with this adaptation. It was quite accurate and had most of the important stuff in there. Seeing Touma moving around made this worth watching. Since they kept the cliffhanger ending the introductory chapter had, I am hoping there is a plan to create a sequel.

@Buff - Why isn't anyone watching this here? It might have rage inducing moments, but overall it is a very solid story with great characters and dialog.

Ryllharu
Sun, 12-29-2013, 05:52 PM
@Buff - Why isn't anyone watching this here? It might have rage inducing moments, but overall it is a very solid story with great characters and dialog.
I can answer that, without having watched any of it.

(Why am I in the thread today in the first place? To see if it is just you and Buff posting. Thankfully not.)

White Album (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6026) was pretty good. But then White Album 2nd Season (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6970) was shit.
Tears to Tiara was bland as hell. To Heart 2 INFINITUM...no thanks. Needless to say, there's no way I'm watching something else from them. Utawarerumono is the only good thing Aquaplus has done. All they've done since then has been one disappointment after another. Maybe White Album 2 is the exception...but I'm sure as hell not taking that chance.

Why is no one watching it? Because it is titled White Album.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 12-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Try one or two episodes at least.

fireheart
Wed, 01-01-2014, 09:16 AM
Finally watched the final episodes... not sure how I feel about it. Can't say what I expected from the ending of the show, sure there was bound to be drama and angst that was a given since it's a love triangle but still... it just felt way to incomplete. And I'm pretty disappointed in Haruki, sure almost all the drama wouldn't have happened without him but wished he acted more like he did at the start of the show and didn't go 100% angsty.

On the bright side I'll watch the continuation if they animate it, if not I'll play the VN if they translate it if nothing because I need more of complete ending than what this gave.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-01-2014, 02:54 PM
This really isn't a complete story with just that. It is simply a prologue of the actual story.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-02-2014, 04:05 AM
Yep, I'm with Ryll, the name White Album is pretty off-putting if it makes you think about the previous anime. I never watched the 2nd season so perhaps that explains why I'm still here.

The ending was rage-inducing. If Kazusa/Haruki want to kick things off, do it after you conclude things with Setsuna. The actual love isn't a problem, it's the overlap of responsibilities/feelings/promises between everybody that is screwing this up. This mess actually highlights one outlook I have about interacting with people: act in your own interest. Consider[I/] other people's and balance the two, but never let the other override your own.

I would definitely be interested in WA2, season 2.. but I'm also afraid since I know they need to choose [I]only one route.. and once that route becomes obvious the ultimate outcome would be too (unless they choose a bad end to that route?)