Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-02-2013, 11:33 PM
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6592/0tu5.jpg

Alternative title: コッペリオン (Japanese)
Genres: action, science fiction
Themes: military, post-apocalyptic

Plot Summary:

-ANN-
Many years after a great tragedy killed 90% of the people in Japan, three girls arrive in the ruins of Tokyo. In the devastated capital, their unusually clean clothes set them apart. But that's not the only strange thing about them - they also each wield supernatural powers. They call themselves "Coppelion," and are on a mission to save the people of Tokyo.

-AniDB-
The story is set in 2036, after radioactive contamination from a nuclear accident has put Tokyo under a blockade. Three high school girls have been sent to this dead city. Thanks to genetic engineering, the three girls have been impervious to radioactivity since birth. They form a special forces unit, codenamed Coppelion, in the 3rd Division of Japan's Ground Self-Defense Force.

Links: ANN (https://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=11859), AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=7933), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/9479/Coppelion)

[HorribleSubs] Coppelion - 01 [720p].mkv (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=479008)

kenren
Thu, 10-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Hey guys! It's been too long since I last visited GW! The community still looks pretty good. Graduated overseas and finally got the chance to get back into watching anime! (University times are hectic :\). Browsed into Tokyotosho, gave Coppelion a go and BAMMM! I remembered why I love watching anime so much! It felt like I was watching Bokurano back in the days for first time.

Back to Coppelion, the doll definitely gave me the uneasiness that something is lurking around but I never thought it would be a wolf at the end. Judging from the previews, it probably won't be just wild animals :P

animus
Thu, 10-03-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm different, I thought that this was boring as hell.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 10-03-2013, 07:31 PM
I found this episode to be a bit disappointing as well.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-04-2013, 01:46 AM
I'm different, I thought that this was boring as hell.

Hoh, I felt that way but thought it was just because I was tired. Guess not.

I'll hang in for another episode or two to see if it picks up, but a few things didn't click for me. For one, the picture looked.. cheap. I didn't what it was exactly, but it just didn't look great. It's probably the older art style (which I'm normally quite good with, even prefer), thick lines and the occasional jaggies. The paleness of the characters may or may not have anything to do with it. I think it's more to do with the three girls' personalities being tacky and "there for the sake of being there".

But yeah, like I said I'll stick with it for an ep or two if only to keep Ken company.

edit: and lol at Angela rapping.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-04-2013, 02:00 AM
The thick outlines that kept randomly appearing around the characters were really annoying.

MFauli
Fri, 10-04-2013, 11:50 AM
wait, wait, wait, wait, wait!

i was about to ignore this show since the cover art looks like some dumb "sexy girls are somehow saving the world"-crap.
now i read someone comparing it to Bokurano. Can anyone comment on that?

kenren
Fri, 10-04-2013, 01:02 PM
wait, wait, wait, wait, wait!

i was about to ignore this show since the cover art looks like some dumb "sexy girls are somehow saving the world"-crap.
now i read someone comparing it to Bokurano. Can anyone comment on that?

It's nothing like Bokurano. It just gives me that personal vibe lol.

Give this show a chance :). At least one or two episodes will do.

Ryllharu
Fri, 10-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Coppelion can either be good or suck hard, because the first episode was honestly pretty dull.

It seems like it would make an amazing 4 episode OVA or 2 hour movie. Of course, what was implied to have happened at the end of the episode would have actually had to happen. As it stands, it's obvious that she's pretty much fine (even if the preview didn't flat out give it away).

I don't know how they're gonna get 12 episodes out of this.

edit:
Also...Tomatsu Haruka's kansaiben sucks. They either shouldn't have bothered or gotten Kotobuki Minako (Ueda Kana nor Chihara Minori fit the character).

MFauli
Sat, 10-05-2013, 12:23 AM
btw is this from the same studio as hanasaku iroha? the hot girl to the left of the opīs image reminds me strongly of one of those characters :> (Mako-chan, i think)

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-05-2013, 12:32 AM
You're thinking of P.A. Works. They're doing Nagi no Asukara this season.

Go Hands has done the animation for Coppelion. They worked on Mardock Scramble, Princess Lover, and K.

MFauli
Sat, 10-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Saw ep 1. First, I absolutely hate the thick outlines of the characters. Totally unnecessary, adds nothing, just trying to be unique. Kinda embarrassing.

As for the story, ... well, we havent gotten much. Though for now, and including the preview, it seems that this anime is almost too realistic/plain. Like Im watching some US-tv show, only animated instead of real actors.

My biggest complaint is definitely the three main characters being young girls. Itīs just too much of a trope, and too typical for modern anime. I mean, I like hot girls, but I hate it when you mix them with serious stories ... doesnīt go well together and usually ruins the story. If at least one of the was a boy, itīd be a lot better. Oh well.

Will keep watching, for now.

PS: the ending song has some real nice parts.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-06-2013, 12:20 AM
You do have a point. If they wanted genetically altered people to do missions and save others, I would think that at least one guy would be in there. There is a lot of physical labor involved after all.

Yukimura
Mon, 10-07-2013, 04:17 PM
The first ep felt impressively dull, the only hook the set was in the last 30 seconds with it was barely a hook at all. Why do I care about the girl that got grabbed? Did she say more than 2-3 sentences in the whole ep? And weren't most of the lines spoken by the non center girl just complaints anyway. Whatever the motivation for watching this show supposed to be I'm not feeling it.

I hope they don't expect dangling the potential for 1-2 minor panty shots per episode amidst a lot of three girls walking around a bombed out city and complaining will be enough to pull people in and hold them (shout out to the background visuals though). Still, I had more engagement in both the plot and the characters by the end of the first ep of the idol-truned-pro-wrestler anime!

Ryllharu
Mon, 10-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Still, I had more engagement in both the plot and the characters by the end of the first ep of the idol-truned-pro-wrestler anime!Yuki, I think I love you.

Thinking more about it, I don't really know where they can really even go with this. The only conflict at all is the girls either being incredibly stupid and getting themselves injured, or the leader one with the disappointing kansaiben using up all their medicine saving everyone and then having a fight with their commander.

I guess it will just be a ton of flashbacks or something? Then finding out the radiation bomb was something super suspenseful but totally expected by that point.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-07-2013, 07:23 PM
I hope this goes the Kino path and shows how small communities managed to adapt and live in the radiation infested area.

kenren
Sun, 10-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Having watched episode 2, it is weird that they did not encounter any other aggressive creatures/animal while looking for the girl in the vast field. Could it be due to heavy contamination that even animals cannot survive? I'll continue watching I guess (probably alone :( )

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-21-2013, 12:15 AM
HS - Episode 03 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=483558)

-------------------------

I was telling myself that I'll drop this after seeing the 3rd episode, but it's kind of interesting.

I'm surprised that military-trained girls couldn't even recognise a B2 without needing supervision.