PDA

View Full Version : Got an e-mail about 5 failed login attempts

Canadian
Sun, 09-22-2013, 02:35 AM
It says the attempted login came from the IP address: 188.143.235.81

This concerns me a little bit, though I don't really visit this forum anymore. :-/

David75
Sun, 09-22-2013, 04:44 AM
Maybe there's some bot trying to brute force their way in. They use the login name and try every easy password around.

But the 5 erros limit is a good failsafe, isn't it?

Canadian
Sun, 09-22-2013, 04:54 AM
Maybe there's some bot trying to brute force their way in. They use the login name and try every easy password around.

But the 5 erros limit is a good failsafe, isn't it?

Suppose so. I might improve my password. I feel like any forum I've joined is worth at least maintaining an account on, I haven't joined many.

When did Gotwoot start anyway? Guess I joined a while ago :O

Kraco
Sun, 09-22-2013, 06:46 AM
If memory serves, a while ago a whole bunch of users got similar warnings from the system, that somebody/something had tried to log in using their name but failed five times. It was back then that I doubled the length of my password as well, just to be sure.

I believe the tale of Gotwoot began in 2003.

Sapphire
Sun, 09-22-2013, 02:35 PM
I got the email too.

complich8
Sun, 09-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Yeah, gotwoot dates back to 2003. I actually got an email about the same on my regular-user account on the dev forums. Don't even know how they _found_ the dev forums.... it's a little bizarre.

Regardless, I suspect they're just iterating through a list of common passwords on every account that shows up in /memberlist.php.

The IP is part of a range of russian dedicated servers. I'm firewall-blocking the whole /17 now, and adding a few other worst-offenders to the blocked ip range list.

So much badness on the internet these days. Regardless, if you've got a crappy password, you should stop doing that.

Shadow Skill
Wed, 09-25-2013, 09:40 PM
I didn't get an E-mail. Nobody cares about my username :/

Your join date should be listed under your name when you post. :P