PDA

View Full Version : Movie: RoboCop (2014)

Munsu
Wed, 06-13-2012, 11:56 AM
So, they're remaking RoboCop. I for one am not a fan of remakes and reboots, but we'll see. They've attached Samuel L. Jackson, Gary Oldman, and now they have just signed up Hugh Laurie to play the villain. RoboCop will be played by Joel Kinnaman, and it'll be directed by Brazilian director José Padilha.

I only hope the fuckwads don't make it into a PG-13 movie, at least the director Padilha who seems to have little credentials to his name, has been praised for his work with the Brazilian movies Elite Squad. So hopefully he keeps it rated R.

For the time being I'll remain skeptical, but slightly optimistic. RoboCop 2 was passable form what I remember, 3 was awful, but I loved the first one. Hopefully, this can be the start of something good.

Other than these, don't know much about the plan for the movie at the moment. I hear some rumors about how there'll be no Officer Anne Lewis, but a Jack Lewis who used to be Murphy's partner then starts banging his wife while he's "dead". Wife will be played by Abbie Cornish. Not sure how I feel about this change, this switching of genders is always a piece of shit move in my opinion.

Any thoughts?

Uchiha Barles
Wed, 06-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Unless it gets rave reviews, I'm going to ignore this movie's existence. Robocop 1 and 2 scared me more than any other movie I can remember as a child because I could never see him as anything other than human. To this day I'll watch them every once in awhile and still feel some remnants of what I did back then. I don't want anything fucking with that.

David75
Wed, 06-13-2012, 12:22 PM
I knew when watching the first RoboCop it was a cheap movie in terms of special effects... And at the time, it was clear they did not have budget for this.
But at least, the movie was fine, not stellar, not bad, but a nice watch.
After all, the pitch was isn't that creative. It does not leave much room for a marvelous film.
It's all in the war/fight/crime/fear and other bad sides of Mankind, with a touch of excess, apocalyptic society and dictatorship lurking.

But even with all of that, it did fairly well.

Then it turned sour with 2 and 3...
And then, they had to turn it into a TV-show...

Nowadays?
Well all of this remains true, maybe they'll do better in the eye-candy department as "average" special effects are sufficient if well mastered.

But they clearly can make it bad movie. It's not that difficult...

Kraco
Wed, 06-13-2012, 12:40 PM
I agree with Bud: if they make it PG-13, it would take a miracle for it to not suck, but if they go for R and try to enhance atmosphere and some psychology, not only special effects, it could succeed nicely.

Animeniax
Wed, 06-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Robocop with modern CGI/special effects should be visually/technically spectacular.

Y
Wed, 06-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Robocop is a stone cold classic. This is going to contain none of the anti-consumerism brilliance of Robocop though.

Munsu
Mon, 07-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Teaser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzmuvtREnnw

Animeniax
Mon, 07-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Awesome trailer... love the military defense commercial mockery of it. Happy to see the ED-209 walker bot, and it's badass how it wastes that tank.

Animeniax
Tue, 09-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Following an article on cracked.com, I saw the Robocop remake trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INmtQXUXez8

Contrary to what the article says, I think the remake has a cool theme and purpose. Robocop is this automated military-style policeman who upholds the law with no compassion or discretion. It's all black and white to him.

Do we really want policing like that, or do we want police who are members of the community and people like us who share our struggles and can show compassion and understanding? The struggle between man and machine over who is in control of Robocop is an interesting twist on the original and makes this film worth watching. Plus it's got a strong supporting cast including Gary Oldman, Samuel L Jackson, and Michael Keaton.

Carnage
Tue, 09-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Concept seems cool, but the execution looks somewhat cheesy.

Animeniax
Tue, 09-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Yeah it does look kind of cheesy, but I hope the movie is more gritty and dark to match the theme.

One thing that the Cracked article gets right is that the original Robocop was made in the 1980s when crime was a bigger problem. Not that crime isn't bad now, but it isn't so bad that the movie's backdrop would resonate with the general public.

Ryllharu
Wed, 09-11-2013, 03:11 AM
At first glance, it looks like Hollywood learned their lesson from Total(ly Not) Recall, but trailers are trailers. They like to bait and switch.

I'm hesitantly optimistic.

Animeniax
Wed, 09-11-2013, 08:21 AM
I don't think it will be a success or anything, and I doubt I'll see it in theaters, since I'm not a big fan of remakes. The supporting cast has big names, but the main character is relatively unknown Joel Kinnaman.

One thing that bugged me in the trailers is how his hands are uncovered at different points. If he suffered 4th degree burns, his hands would be toast. In most defense situations, you instinctively raise your hands to defend your head/face/body.

Kraco
Wed, 09-11-2013, 12:56 PM
One thing that bugged me in the trailers is how his hands are uncovered at different points. If he suffered 4th degree burns, his hands would be toast. In most defense situations, you instinctively raise your hands to defend your head/face/body.

You see his half-dead body at one point of the trailer, before the operation. He had lost one arm entirely but the other looked still mostly functional with the hand portion especially intact. It was a car bomb anyway, so he had no time to raise his hands or anything at all. The damage to his body would be random.

Animeniax
Wed, 09-11-2013, 02:34 PM
You see his half-dead body at one point of the trailer, before the operation. He had lost one arm entirely but the other looked still mostly functional with the hand portion especially intact. It was a car bomb anyway, so he had no time to raise his hands or anything at all. The damage to his body would be random.

Maybe so but it looks weird that one hand is de-gloved/uncovered when almost all the entirety of his person is covered in armor. Even if his hand is ok, it would make more sense to protect it with a metal gauntlet. Maybe it's a story point where his human hand is needed (http://www.nextnature.net/2012/10/the-soft-touch-of-a-human-hand/) to make contact with E.T.

Kraco
Wed, 09-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Maybe so but it looks weird that one hand is de-gloved/uncovered when almost all the entirety of his person is covered in armor. Even if his hand is ok, it would make more sense to protect it with a metal gauntlet. Maybe it's a story point where his human hand is needed (http://www.nextnature.net/2012/10/the-soft-touch-of-a-human-hand/) to make contact with E.T.

The hand is needed when human rights groups start to accuse the government of having robots killing people. The government can then have the metalman give a warm, human handshake to the activists, to prove there's a person inside the cold exoskeleton. Plus the whole project is easier to get accepted when it's not just a brain in a jar inside a robot but actually a man who got the destroyed parts of his body back.

Ryllharu
Wed, 09-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Hoping a dude gets horribly mutated/melted by chemical waste...then explodes. Not a Robocop movie without it!

Animeniax
Wed, 09-11-2013, 05:54 PM
The hand is needed when human rights groups start to accuse the government of having robots killing people. The government can then have the metalman give a warm, human handshake to the activists, to prove there's a person inside the cold exoskeleton. Plus the whole project is easier to get accepted when it's not just a brain in a jar inside a robot but actually a man who got the destroyed parts of his body back.

That's fine but when he's engaged with multiple hostiles and firing dual wield, he should have an armored glove on to protect one of the last vestiges of his humanity and to decrease the chance he loses the hand and one of his weapons. When it's time to shake hands and hug babies then he can take the glove off. But really it just looks weird.

I also have never liked how criminals never shot him in the mouth.