PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Gravity

Sapphire
Sat, 07-13-2013, 11:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ufsrgE0BYf0

Does this remind anyone else of Planetes (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=895)?

Animeniax
Sat, 07-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Will the entire movie be this astronaut girl trying to prevent being sucked into the vastness of space? It sorta reminds of that movie Open Water.

Yukimura
Mon, 10-07-2013, 02:59 PM
I saw this over the weekend. The visuals were optically orgasmic and the dramatic tension was quite palpable. I was literally on the edge of my seat several times despite knowing how things were likely to turn out. I would recommend anyone go see the film, in IMAX 3d if feasible, as this is definitely the kind of movie we need more of.

As a space nerd I really liked the nods to physics and the mechanics of being in space of which there were many throughout the film, however the fidelity to realism ended up being a double edged sword. There were still several times when physics or reality were put in on the back burner in favor of the storytelling or dramatic tension. I think these were done in a way that was as subtle and believable as possible and shouldn't bother anyone not versed in orbital mechanics, but for a big enough space nerd like me the unrealism of those scenes robbed them of the punch they could have had b/c they made me feel like I was watching a movie again instead of watching something that could really be happening to someone.

When all was said and done I found comfort in interpreting the movie as something that takes places more in the main characters head, without her realizing that it's not 'real'. That way I can focus on the most positive aspect of the films story, the emotional journey that Sandra Bullock's character goes on. With the all in her head interpretation I write off all the stuff that felt less realistic and more for dramatic effect as her subconscious coming up with a bunch of horrible worst case scenarios with very narrow paths to survival that she has to muster the courage and tenacity to find a way to make it through.

Y
Fri, 01-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Gravity is almost a transcendent experience. I guess you could say the script is weaker than Cuaron's Children of Men, but the script (aside from Bullock's two fantastic monologues) is really beside the point compared to the total assault on the senses that is this film. Holy hell.