PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Ender's Game

Sapphire
Sat, 05-11-2013, 04:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vP0cUBi4hwE

After years of production hell, my childhood favorite novel is finally coming to the big screen!

Ryllharu
Sat, 05-11-2013, 05:06 PM
It might just be clever editing to mislead audiences that haven't read the books into thinking Ender's Game is about something else, but given the trailer, it looks like shit.

It seems to entirely miss the point and underlying moral of the original novel, even if Card himself has forgotten it (considering he is a producer of the film). I say that given the tone of his more recent works when compared to the Ender's Game quartet.

Kraco
Sun, 05-12-2013, 06:35 AM
I read the book ages ago, and I had to read the Wikipedia article to even remember anything but the biggest idea of the novel. If the movie works otherwise, I doubt I'd especially mind Ryll's misgivings. But still if Card himself is a producer and he's not diagnosed with Alzheimer or something, I'd say it's pretty arrogant to say at this point the movie would be missing the most essential messages of the source material. After all, it's up to Card himself to decide what those might be.

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-12-2013, 07:00 AM
I'd say it's pretty arrogant to say at this point the movie would be missing the most essential messages of the source material. After all, it's up to Card himself to decide what those might be.Disagree. OSC has become a much worse writer over the years, and he's become much more vocal about his terrible personal beliefs which have gone from minor subtext to overt sermonizing in his works.

There is a strong chance that the film will be adapted with a "reinterpretation" more in line with his current views.

Or as I said, it could be a trick with the trailer editing to attract the average movie-goer by making it look like a blockbuster rather than what the book actually is.

UChessmaster
Sun, 05-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Will skip this movie because OSC is a douchebag.

Kraco
Sun, 05-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Haha. I guess I'm lucky I haven't been keeping in touch with anything concerning the dude, then, if he has been losing it of late. A pity. Maybe there's slim hope he has enough decency not to touch such an old work overly much. Or the studio/director won't allow too much alteration.

Sapphire
Sun, 05-12-2013, 02:04 PM
I think the next trailer will be able to show us more. I wasn't quite as excited upon seeing this either, but it could have just been a bad trailer. However, I still get this gritty/natural "Hunger Games" tone from it, which I would love to see.

Apparently the people who wrote Game of Thrones had a script for this, but it got thrown out? I would have loved to see that script with these effects.

Y
Sun, 05-12-2013, 04:43 PM
But still if Card himself is a producer and he's not diagnosed with Alzheimer or something, I'd say it's pretty arrogant to say at this point the movie would be missing the most essential messages of the source material. After all, it's up to Card himself to decide what those might be.

Didn't we have this discussion in IRC?