PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Iron Man 3

Penner
Wed, 03-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Just wanted to post some pictures of some new suit models from IM3 that has been revealed.

Gotta love that 'Mark 38' lol

1470 1471 1472
1473 1474

Animeniax
Wed, 03-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Any idea if these will be seen merely as pieces in a showroom, or will they actually be used in fight scenes? Also, any idea who the villain will be?

Penner
Thu, 03-28-2013, 12:15 AM
'The Mandarin' is the villain. (Played by Ben Kingsley)

Not sure how many of the suits will actually be used, since the plot of the movie will involve Stark getting his 'world' destroyed by the Mandarin.

Here's the story from the official site:

Marvel's "Iron Man 3" pits brash-but-brilliant industrialist Tony Stark/Iron Man against an enemy whose reach knows no bounds. When Stark finds his personal world destroyed at his enemy's hands, he embarks on a harrowing quest to find those responsible. This journey, at every turn, will test his mettle. With his back against the wall, Stark is left to survive by his own devices, relying on his ingenuity and instincts to protect those closest to him. As he fights his way back, Stark discovers the answer to the question that has secretly haunted him: does the man make the suit, or does the suit make the man?

Aldrich Killian (played by Guy Pearce) is also in the movie, so i guess the 'Extremis' stuff will have some part in the story aswell.

Penner
Thu, 03-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Yet another suit model released:

1476 1477

Carnage
Thu, 03-28-2013, 12:08 PM
The Hulk Buster actually will be relevant in the movie. The other models I think will be remote controlled based on the trailers.

Animeniax
Thu, 03-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Gotta love that 'Mark 38' lol

Haha just noticed it's codenamed "Igor".

The Hulk Buster actually will be relevant in the movie. The other models I think will be remote controlled based on the trailers.
Was the HB actually effective against the Hulk in the comics? It looks like a cross between Nimrod and the Juggernaut.

Roko
Fri, 03-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Was the HB actually effective against the Hulk in the comics? It looks like a cross between Nimrod and the Juggernaut.

At first, yes - Stark held his own against the Hulk. But with the Hulk, the madder he gets, the stronger he becomes, so the suit got torn apart eventually. It was only capable of buying some time.

Penner
Fri, 03-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Hi there Roko, I don't think i've ever seen you post before lol (atleast not in the parts of the forum i browse), but we can always use more people to keep things active in the TV/Movie section :P

darkshadow
Sat, 03-30-2013, 11:47 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img12/4125/im308.png

Penner
Sat, 03-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Damn, Stark sure has alot of suits, and now i want to know the functions and codenames of all of those :P

Pepper Potts is apparently going to 'suit up' in the movie aswell (you even see it briefly in trailers/teasers).

darkshadow
Sat, 03-30-2013, 12:54 PM
Mark 42, so 42 suits; pepper only suits up during the mansion attack so she's safe.

Ryllharu
Sat, 03-30-2013, 03:45 PM
I hope all these suit reveals is all a preclude to an Armor Wars focused Iron Man sequel or Avengers sequel.

Justin Hammer didn't die, he just got arrested.

I know Iron Man 2 used elements of it, but it was a major letdown that they were all robots.

darkshadow
Sun, 03-31-2013, 01:44 PM
Armour wars is done, it's heading towards extremis now.

Animeniax
Sat, 04-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Rhodey in the Patriot armor. Kinda corny but multiple suits should be cool.

Penner
Tue, 04-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Check out this IM3 tech/suit video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMMiDPTduNo

Looks pretty damn sweet!

Animeniax
Tue, 04-16-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm shocked, what kind of weapon could incinerate the Iron Man suits so easily?

lilphatboi88
Thu, 04-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Kryptonite?

But seriously, they better have a good explanation for incinerating these suits so easily.

darkshadow
Fri, 04-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Oh right, I saw this a couple of days ago...

Janice
Sun, 04-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Currently in Bogota. Tickets were only $4.50 USD for 3D lol. Great movie, better than the first two and the Avengers IMO. They did the 3D really well. No cheap tricks like stuff flying out of the screen etc.

oyabun
Sun, 04-28-2013, 01:05 AM
Really? I for one thinks the movie is not that great at all. Especially the Mandarin. Lolz

Ryllharu
Wed, 05-08-2013, 03:55 AM
Saw the movie, liked it a lot, other than a few things here and there in the second half (real minor stuff not worth mentioning spoilers in the thread for).

Pretty interesting article (http://movies.yahoo.com/news/robert-downey-jr-and-‘avengers’-cast-ready-to-rumble-with-marvel-over-sequel-money-and-strongarming-215344618.html) about pay disputes and the business backend of what's going on with future movies. It's hard to side against the stars given what this article says about the Marvel management and Disney's stand-off approach.

lilphatboi88
Wed, 05-08-2013, 04:27 AM
I don't see what the problem is. Actors get paid a certain a amount. Movie does unexpectedly well. Actors want a raise. Marvel (or Disney?) says they can get a raise based on how well the movie performs. Isn't that fair? The actors are already raking in a decent pay up front, so why do they want to squeeze the studio's balls? Marvel will pay, they just don't know how much better a sequel will be.

Ryllharu
Wed, 05-08-2013, 04:36 AM
Unexpectedly well? Iron Man did unexpectedly well. After that, Marvel knew they had one of the biggest blockbuster series in decades on their hands.

It's one thing to ask for a raise on a sequel. It another to be contracted to 4-6 movies, and the actor only gets a bonus when a given film makes Half a Billion dollars. Neither Captain America nor Thor made that figure.

lilphatboi88
Wed, 05-08-2013, 05:05 AM
But they want more upfront movie. Imagine if every actor decided to want to paid up front and the film flops? The studio loses hundreds of millions of dollars.

The actors were the ones who signed the contracts. They even got bonuses if the film did well. But all of a sudden, these actors decide they're hot potatoes. For Pete's sakes, Scarlett Johannsen does not deserve $20 million for the Avengers 2. That's ludicrous.

Carnage
Wed, 05-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Normally I would say RDJ is the fucking face of the franchise, and the other actors don't really have a place to be whining about relatively lower pay. But considering the gross sales The Avengers, I think its fair to say that they're all worth the $5 million up front that they're demanding. The replacement cost would likely be much more than that to Marvel if it decided to cut them loose, considering the fans are already used to them.

Animeniax
Wed, 05-08-2013, 11:36 AM
I'd say RDJ is the only non-expendable cast member of the franchise. Rhodey has already been replaced before and Gwyneth Paltrow has gotten a lot of flack in the media for being a pretentious dingbat. I don't think fans have any affinity for her as a love interest for Stark either, they'd rather see some young hot thing.

Carnage
Wed, 05-08-2013, 11:51 AM
True, but the price that the actors are demanding is probably much less than the interest they'd lose from viewers if they replaced the cast. $5 million per hero seems like a paltry sum for a movie that grossed $1.51 billion and had a budget of $220 million (minus marketing probably, but still). It would be wise for Marvel to lock in all the actors now for not only Avengers 2, but the third wave of movies. They have a goose that lays golden eggs so long as they dont drastically change anything, why take the risk over $20-40 million?

darkshadow
Wed, 05-08-2013, 12:26 PM
RDJ already had a 5 movie contract, he also doesn't want to keep it going without it being fun. So no IM4 or Avengers 3 for him.

Animeniax
Wed, 05-08-2013, 12:26 PM
True, but the price that the actors are demanding is probably much less than the interest they'd lose from viewers if they replaced the cast. $5 million per hero seems like a paltry sum for a movie that grossed $1.51 billion and had a budget of $220 million (minus marketing probably, but still). It would be wise for Marvel to lock in all the actors now for not only Avengers 2, but the third wave of movies. They have a goose that lays golden eggs so long as they dont drastically change anything, why take the risk over $20-40 million?Ahh, I missed the link Ryllharu posted. I'd be surprised if all the primaries didn't warrant $5M salaries, and maybe less for Black Widow and Nick Fury. It seems Marvel's "break-even points" are a bit ridiculous, and they play with the numbers to reduce residuals and lower up-front pay. They should be careful like you said, messing with a proven product by short-sticking the talent can cost them big.

Ryllharu
Wed, 05-08-2013, 02:34 PM
...Rhodey has already been replaced...Terrence Howard was replaced for Iron Man 2 because he was asking for even more money than RDJ was getting. He recieved more money for IM1 than RDJ did (was actually the highest paid of the entire cast), and was allegedly not a great person to deal with around the set (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20236884,00.html).

Animeniax
Wed, 05-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Terrence Howard was replaced for Iron Man 2 because he was asking for even more money than RDJ was getting. He recieved more money for IM1 than RDJ did (was actually the highest paid of the entire cast), and was allegedly not a great person to deal with around the set (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20236884,00.html).

Well to be fair, prior to IM1 RDJ was still on the mend from his off-camera shenanigans. It was IM1 that put him back on the Hollywood A-list, meanwhile Howard was on the rise. It's still shocking that he was paid more than anyone else considering his role wasn't that big in the movie. Paltrow was a big enough name in 2008, but not a top draw. Really any number of actresses could have played Potts and been just as successful with the role.

Ryllharu
Wed, 05-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Well to be fair, prior to IM1 RDJ was still on the mend from his off-camera shenanigans. It was IM1 that put him back on the Hollywood A-list, meanwhile Howard was on the rise.
From what?

Crash had been 4 years prior, and Hustle & Flow was 3 years prior.
In between those and Iron Man, there was: Get Rich or Die Tryin' which was...what it was, Idlewild was financially a failure and critically mediocre, Pride didn't break 10 million, but I guess The Brave One did alright.

He's always been overpaid, and from the sound of things, usually a bit of a prima donna.

Animeniax
Wed, 05-08-2013, 06:12 PM
From what?

Crash had been 4 years prior, and Hustle & Flow was 3 years prior.
In between those and Iron Man, there was: Get Rich or Die Tryin' which was...what it was, Idlewild was financially a failure and critically mediocre, Pride didn't break 10 million, but I guess The Brave One did alright.

He's always been overpaid, and from the sound of things, usually a bit of a prima donna.That's Hollywood celebrity culture for you. He hadn't been in anything too successful but there was plenty of talk about him being the next big thing. He got a lot of credit from Hustle and Flow and Get Rich (50 cent movie when 50 was hot shit).

As far as talk about his behavior on set, I've heard of directors talking shit about actors who they found were "difficult to work with". It usually comes out that it's as much the director as anyone else who causes tension on a set.

lilphatboi88
Fri, 05-10-2013, 03:56 AM
He's actually not a bad actor, I really missed him for Iron Man 2. But he was overhyped and should've kept a low profile and continue to ride the new-age marvel train.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-26-2013, 09:06 AM
I watched this movie today.. and boy was it bad.

-Evil guys need Stark for a cure.
---- umm.. they seemed pretty stable to me. No one exactly blew themselves up when they were fighting Stark

-Mortality of the bad guys
---- I still can't figure out what exactly kills them

-Suits don't work well when evil guys grab them and overheat them
---- All the suits didn't seem to have nearly as much problem

-Charging out of a battery
---- Isn't that what the big magnet on your chest is for?

-Stark's suits are coded so Rhodes couldn't use one.
---- Yah, so it makes sense that Iron Patriot is up for grabs to whoever.

The best part of the movie was the kid, and the military guy because he looked like my old boss, so it was fun watching him fly a heli and all.

edit: This site (http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/2013/05/10-reasons-to-hate-the-terrible-iron-man-3/) covers almost everything. There are probably 2 points I don't agree with, but it otherwise represents my views pretty well.

Y
Tue, 08-27-2013, 06:23 PM
The best Iron Man movie, the best Marvel movie, and one of the better and smarter comicbook films of the last decade. It's also quite funny and even the groan-worthy introduction of a kid sidekick is handled well.

Ryllharu
Tue, 08-27-2013, 06:53 PM
I got no words Buff. Reading your post is like reading a post from someone defending Spiderman 3.

The sole singular problem I had with the movie is the "wrap it up" epilogue regarding curing Pepper, and that is really an extremely minor quibble. I still think Iron Man is a better executed movie as a narrative (though Iron Monger was slightly underdeveloped), but Iron Man 3 is right behind it.

The overall moral tone and social commentary of Iron Man 3 is fantastic.

edit:
Also, heat transfer and metal fatigue. Not the fun kind of getting baked.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Iron man was awesome, and I do agree with you about Iron Monger being the slightly weak link in that movie. Iron Man 2 started out good with Stark's identity crisis, but then it felt like they gave up (or couldn't go any further) half way in, threw it all out the window - and had him blow up shit for the next 30 minutes.

Iron Man 3 was the worst of the bunch because it felt like a movie made from a melting pot of ideas that lacked coherence within itself and externally with the other 2 movies. Its sole purpose seemingly is to bridge a way for extremis iron man to appear in Avengers 2.

Power scaling is very important for me in an action narrative. I need to know where the protagonists/antagonists stand in terms of might and what separates them. After establishing that, the protagonist needs to overcome this in a non-BS way if he is to defeat the enemy.

Iron Man did this in a satisfactory manner when they gave Iron Monger the stronger arc reactor, but Tony the brains, Javis and prior flight knowledge. (also, beams). I bashed Avengers before about the Hulk being turned from a ticking time-bomb to your invincible buddy in the way it happened.

Iron Man 3:.. it just doesn't exist. Apparently chest beams can kill, but palm beams sometimes don't. Detonating a suit doesn't work, but Pepper's beam + rocket ammo did the trick. The chick from town was also never seen alive again after she got blown onto a powerline from an exploding microwave. :S ??

Honestly, given that the "mutants" required heat generation (or at least cause it as a by-product), I would have thought that either extreme heat (their excess heat would cause them to overload) or excess cold (if heat is a required part of the process then dipping them in water/ice would not allow them to heal).

And what did the president have to do with anything again?

Iron Man 3 was made for the sake of making an iron man movie (and paving way for Avengers 2) without being something decent in its own right.

The overall moral tone and social commentary of Iron Man 3 is fantastic.

I liked the idea behind the movie. It's the fact that they ended up with some rather unforgivable plotholes that makes it suck.

Ryllharu
Wed, 08-28-2013, 03:17 AM
You put "Iron Man 3" instead of "Iron Man 2" in your second paragraph.

The rest of your post is just, utterly wrong. Guy Pearce's character explains perfectly why the president gets involved, twice. You also don't seem to have understood anything about the extremis stuff, which was again explained multiple times. They also made it very clear that willpower, determination, and control were more important than the drugs in not exploding.

You should probably rewatch the movie, because I'm reasonably sure we didn't see the same movie.

Animeniax
Wed, 09-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Just watched IM3 and I'm with Buff, this movie was a mess with a lot of plot holes, random shit, and a lot of unsatisfactory parts. The setup was awesome, I love the fake Mandarin and Ben Kingsley's performance (though it was a bit of cribbing from Batman Begins with the decoy Ra's al Ghul).

It falls apart when Stark, NOT Iron Man, goes ninja on the Miami compound. It gets worse with the hackneyed involvement of the president and VP, and then falls apart when once again 2 unarmored heroes infiltrate the secret lair of the villain with handguns. The "house party" scene had the potential to be absolutely epic, but turned out silly and unimpressive. An army of Iron Man suits swarm and half get destroyed or attack in the most ridiculous and contrived methods possible. The first suit to attack actually engages his enemies hand-to-hand. The worst part of that mess of a scene for me was the playful banter between Stark and Rhodes at the shipyard. They wrap up the movie like they ran out of time or budget or interest, spending all of 5 minutes to explain the fate of everyone involved.

All in all, the worst of the 3 IM movies. Like Buff said, the entire point of this movie was to make another IM movie and to segue into Avengers 2.