PDA

View Full Version : One Piece Episode 588

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-24-2013, 12:04 AM
[HorribleSubs] One Piece - 588 [360p] (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=416218)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

How can he switch hearts between Tashigi and Smoker if he already pulled Smoker's heart out?

I was disappointed when the rest of the Strawhats didn't get all switched up as well.

And hey! Head and legs together! I guess that fart talking does adequately explain one of my previous questions...

That is, like, the only situation not involving disguises that that guy's Devil Fruit power would be useful...

Kraco
Sun, 03-24-2013, 04:08 AM
How can he switch hearts between Tashigi and Smoker if he already pulled Smoker's heart out?

Switching hearts to switch personae is only metaphoric. He removed Smoker's physical heart, which is just a blood pump. It's rather interesting he can switch personalities at all between bodies. In physical terms that would require switching brains, which would be quite a feat, especially between men and women who even have different average brain volumes, and in One Piece the head volumes are regularly vastly varying. So, likely he's not switching brains but metaphysical souls.

I'm actually exceedingly happy the whole crew was not affected. Now it seems like a part of the bigger story (like it was, Law making sure they don't escape too far with the children if they want to get back into their original bodies) and not just a worn-out comedy plot element.

I saw some fan art of Smoker in Tashigi's body before, but I didn't even realise it was canon. But then again, I should count myself lucky to have forgotten it and thus not being minorly spoiled. I wonder if there can be any kind of heated meeting between Tashigi and Zoro anymore under these circumstances...

Assertn
Sun, 03-24-2013, 04:17 AM
Switching hearts to switch personae is only metaphoric. He removed Smoker's physical heart, which is just a blood pump. It's rather interesting he can switch personalities at all between bodies. In physical terms that would require switching brains, which would be quite a feat, especially between men and women who even have different average brain volumes, and in One Piece the head volumes are regularly vastly varying. So, likely he's not switching brains but metaphysical souls.

It's not much more abstract than Moria stealing a person's shadow and binding it to a corpse, effectively bringing the corpse to life with the characteristics of the shadow's owner.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-24-2013, 06:20 AM
Switching hearts to switch personae is only metaphoric.Oh. Alright then.

It's rather interesting he can switch personalities at all between bodies. In physical terms that would require switching brains, which would be quite a feat, especially between men and women who even have different average brain volumes, and in One Piece the head volumes are regularly vastly varying.Ah, see now, science aside that's still how they should have done it.

Kraco
Sun, 03-24-2013, 07:04 AM
It's not much more abstract than Moria stealing a person's shadow and binding it to a corpse, effectively bringing the corpse to life with the characteristics of the shadow's owner.

Yes, indeed within One Piece it's no big deal. But looking at Law's power it's very concrete otherwise. He cuts and rearranges physical objects however he wants. Switching souls between bodies isn't necessarily an integral part of such a power. It looks more like an extension in my opinion. Although considering severed parts stay alive, even outside of the zone, it's quite magical already, so it's hardly a stretch in any way.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-24-2013, 11:55 AM
I just think it's needlessly confusing to have him both physically removing hearts, and then to visualize the soul swapping ability as switching hearts as well.

This again leads me to wonder why, if removing the heart has no adverse effect on someone, as Tashigi says, why did Smoker pass out in the first place when his was removed?

Now it seems like a part of the bigger story (like it was, Law making sure they don't escape too far with the children if they want to get back into their original bodies)What exactly WAS the point of doing that to prevent them from escaping with the children...but then totally directing Luffy to them so he could help them escape?

Assertn
Sun, 03-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Yes, indeed within One Piece it's no big deal. But looking at Law's power it's very concrete otherwise. He cuts and rearranges physical objects however he wants. Switching souls between bodies isn't necessarily an integral part of such a power. It looks more like an extension in my opinion. Although considering severed parts stay alive, even outside of the zone, it's quite magical already, so it's hardly a stretch in any way.

I think a better question is: If a person has been split up, how does this affect them, exactly? If we go by the samurai's experience, you still retain control over all the parts of your body regardless of circumstance, however, clearly Tashigi is controlling Smoker's body right now, and vice versa. On that note, if Brownbeard received his alligator body from Law, shouldn't the body still be under the control of the alligator the same way that the samurai's legs were when Luffy attached them to his back?

Penner
Sun, 03-24-2013, 02:32 PM
What if you attach the alligator body to a human, then kill/destroy the original alligators head, does the body die aswell? or maybe then control over it transfers to the human that's currently attached to it?

Or maybe Law (or the Clown dude?) can just control all of this as he pleases?

This is some magical shit going on right here lol, kinda hard to figure out how this all works without the show actually explaining it.

Kraco
Sun, 03-24-2013, 03:26 PM
What exactly WAS the point of doing that to prevent them from escaping with the children...but then totally directing Luffy to them so he could help them escape?

He switched their bodies so that they would need to return to him if they want their souls to return to the original bodies. Luffy & Co being with them doesn't change that one way or another. In fact it makes them more likely to return since Luffy doesn't consider Law a bad guy, and by helping them reunite, Law is for his own part showing he doesn't have anything in particular against them. It's not like they would board their ship and leave the island with the kids with half of the crew in wrong bodies.