PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Tail Ep. 174

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-22-2013, 10:33 PM
[HorribleSubs] Fairy Tail - 174: 1080p (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=415886) | 720p (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=415879) | 480p (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=415870)

----------------------------------------------------

That was... actually pretty boring. Levy and Happy's post-ED commentary were the best parts, but the rest was just sea-sawing "I'm testing you out" shit with commentary cut-ins.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 03-23-2013, 02:07 AM
WHAAAAT? Who cares! The fight is still fucking awesome so far!

I mean, yeah, if someone was just describing it to you, it would sound boring, but it's the way it's being animated and cooreographed that makes it so amazing.

Expecting an epic climax next week! Sabertooth has been going all out, but Natsu hasn't used his Thunder Fire OR his own Dragon Force yet.

Poor Garjeel...Natsu is stealing the spotlight.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-23-2013, 02:16 AM
Maybe it worked for you, but it didn't work for me. The entire fight lacked the awesomeness that you felt. The Sabertooth dragons also lacked in having a variety of attacks. They brought out 3 a few unique ones, but that was it. Shadow's a one-trick pony thus far. Light was better, but currently their fight is just full of self-enhancing power-ups.

In general, I also hate the whole:

This, no THIS, no THIS.. or maybe THIS is my true power shit. Sometimes it's alright - particularly if a strong move has a huge setback - but not when you use it for the entire episode.

Then there's the "the crowd's gone silent, I wonder what it means" x 3.

It just screams "we need to drag this out for one episode... and we're having trouble making the other dragons more interesting."

Kraco
Sat, 03-23-2013, 04:49 AM
Though you might not have realised it, Bill, but that sort of "true power shit" actually suits very well Sting and Shadow, and the whole guild of Sabertooth. It's a bunch obsessed with looking like the strongest for the sake of looking like the strongest. It's full of fancy mages and techniques but they are all standing on nothing solid at all because they aren't fighting and developing for any greater purpose, not even to develop themselves but just giving the impression of being unbeatable. After all, they would get kicked out otherwise. Such an environment doesn't encourage anybody to seek true strength in a steadfast way, but by any quick and possibly shady means available. That means fancy techniques yet an inability to put them to good use or to keep fighting under unexpected pressure. The simple fact Sabertooth is like it is tells it has never faced any kind of crises comparable to those Fairy Tail has gone through.

This is like putting greenhorns with the latest toys against battle scarred veterans with all their knowledge, experience, toughness, and battle proven weapons.

In short, if this fight lacked a bit of thrill, it was very successful at demonstrating the fundamental difference between Fairy Tail and Sabertooth.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 03-23-2013, 06:21 AM
Maybe it worked for you, but it didn't work for me. The entire fight lacked the awesomeness that you felt. The Sabertooth dragons also lacked in having a variety of attacks. They brought out 3 a few unique ones, but that was it. Shadow's a one-trick pony thus far. Light was better, but currently their fight is just full of self-enhancing power-ups.

In general, I also hate the whole:

This, no THIS, no THIS.. or maybe THIS is my true power shit. Sometimes it's alright - particularly if a strong move has a huge setback - but not when you use it for the entire episode.Personally, I found it hilarious. It's like watching someone go Super Saiyan, then SS2, then SS3 and each time having FT just go "Nope. That's not gonna do it." Which is something protagonists don't get to do very often.

That said, I don't know what the point of the Drives was. They're powerups, but not as strong as Dragon Force. Which is like introducing SS2, when the series main character has already used SS3 in the past.

Then there's the "the crowd's gone silent, I wonder what it means" x 3.No shit. Get a viewing lacrima in the hospital or something guys.

TwisT
Sat, 03-23-2013, 08:37 AM
So it was Lector all along that twisted Sting into being someone that only cares about being strong and beating Natsu. Sting was a pretty cool and laid back person until Lector came crying like a bitch.

BTW how weak was Sting and Rogues dragons? They beat them at such a young age, and still they are only that level now. Have they not developed anything in those last 7 years (even though they say they did) or was their their dragons so weak Lucy could have killed them back when she first joined Fairy Tail? Only thing i can see is that their dragons willingly allowed them to kill them. I can't see Igneel getting beat by Sting and Rogue together as they are now.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-23-2013, 09:35 AM
In short, if this fight lacked a bit of thrill, it was very successful at demonstrating the fundamental difference between Fairy Tail and Sabertooth.

Except it doesn't make sense if you considered what happened to Lucy. Natsu should be itching to wipe the floor with them. The first burst of attacks were consistent with this - then it was just "let's see how far these guys go". Where's all the hatred?

Oh, and the whole "I'll lie down long enough for you to brag" - wtf's with that? It happened in Wendy's case too. Lying down for one manga panel while I read Sting's speech bubble might not be so bad.. but a 2min speech? That judge should have called them defeated already.

Yeah.. in general, almost EVERYTHING rubbed me the wrong way this episode. The only saving grace aside from the ones I mentioned before was the soundtrack - and even that wasn't EPIC ft standard because of how drawn out it was.

@DE RE Drives: I don't mind them using drives, but it was comical that FT could counter without using them. Just why were they letting themselves get beat up for so long anyway if "standard form" could withstand Dragon Force.

I don't quite get why Dragon Force is supposed to be so special for 3rd Gen Dragon Slayers. Natsu activated it by getting a dose of external power (Eterion, Flame of Guilt). Someone told me (so I haven't confirmed it) that Laxus could activate Dragon Force. The requirement then, is that a dragon slayer only needs to dope himself with a giant amount of mana - and he's in Dragon Force mode.

2nd Gen Laxus and 3rd Gen Sting can do it because they can dope their container with the mana within their Lacrima. I bet you Natsu can do it because his 2nd Origin acts in a similar manner as a separate container of power. Since dragons had to teach humans to use it (whom I assume were able to learn the technique successfully), it must mean the dragon slayers of olden days were also capable.

Powerful, but certainly not exclusive.

@Twist: Yeah, no way kids could have touched that dragon. Either the dragons let them kill it, or they died via other means and Sting thought he killed it. The flashback showed that they weren't that powerhungry as kids though, so they must be acting tough (being a Sabertooth thing) and actually did love their dragons.

Kraco
Sat, 03-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Except it doesn't make sense if you considered what happened to Lucy. Natsu should be itching to wipe the floor with them. The first burst of attacks were consistent with this - then it was just "let's see how far these guys go". Where's all the hatred?

Because Fairy Tail isn't an evil guild.

RE Drives: I don't mind them using drives, but it was comical that FT could counter without using them. Just why were they letting themselves get beat up for so long anyway if "standard form" could withstand Dragon Force.

Those drives meant nothing to Fairy Tail mages. They are just gimmicks used by n00bs who think they are tough yet have never been in a fight of catastrophic proportions.

Against the Dragon Force they were getting beat up because they couldn't respond to the speed. Let's not forget Dragon Force gives an immense speed increase. It even allowed Natsu to keep with with Jellal back in the tower arc. However, it's a different thing from actually taking damage. Besides, they might have even accepted some punches just to show they can take it. Nothing shakes your opponents more than proving their best technique has little effect.

I don't quite get why Dragon Force is supposed to be so special for 3rd Gen Dragon Slayers. Natsu activated it by getting a dose of external power (Eterion, Flame of Guilt). Someone told me (so I haven't confirmed it) that Laxus could activate Dragon Force. The requirement then, is that a dragon slayer only needs to dope himself with a giant amount of mana - and he's in Dragon Force mode.

Sabertooth and the rest of the world would know this how? I bet Sabertooth would make no secret of it because it would make them look stronger, but very few ever saw Natsu and Laxus use it and I doubt too many read any reports that might have been written. Sting and Shadow might as well think it's a 3rd generation thing since they never heard of anybody using it before.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Sting and Shadow might as well think it's a 3rd generation thing since they never heard of anybody using it before.

Imagines
Laughs
Sighs

Man, this show is belittling Sting and Shadow so much, I feel a little bad for them...

DarthEnderX
Sat, 03-23-2013, 11:19 AM
@DE RE Drives: I don't mind them using drives, but it was comical that FT could counter without using them. Just why were they letting themselves get beat up for so long anyway if "standard form" could withstand Dragon Force.I don't mind it, I just don't understand what it's for.

Like I said, this episode introduces them as like a powerup that's not as powerful as Dragon Force. Which is weird, because Natsu has used Dragon Force but not, like, a Fire Drive.

Honestly, looking at how they used it, it almost seems like the Drives turn their bodies INTO their elements. Almost like a Logia user from One Piece. Whereas Dragon Force seems to turn their bodies into dragons.