PDA

View Full Version : RWBY (Red, White, Black, Yellow)

Dark Dragon
Thu, 03-21-2013, 02:06 AM
The folks at Rooster Teeth (creator of Red vs Blue) are working on a new animated project.

The show will center around four girls base around the four colors indicated in the title. There will be a total of 4 trailers to introduce each girl, so far only red and white are out.

R is a girl name Ruby who represent the color red and her weapon is a scythe that double as a gun. W is Weiss who represent white and her weapon is a Rapier that is capable of changing elements and cast magic spells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYW2GmHB5xs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt9vl8iAN5Q

I really like the music for the trailer and the animation style is interesting. It certainly looks different enough and is worth checking out.

MFauli
Thu, 03-21-2013, 03:23 AM
Interesting? Well, itīs an anime produced on a videogame engine.

Anyway, I like the super serious presentation in these two trailers. I just wonder, is it gonna be typical magical girl-bullcrap, like Sailor Moon, Kämpfer, Wedding Peach, etc., or is the fact that itīs four girls of four colors not that important to the plot? Because I cant stomach such series these days.

Oh, and Rubyīs transforming weapon totally reminded me of the switch axe in Monster Hunter <3

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 03-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Monty Oum...I knew it recognized that name. He also did a few episodes for Red vs Blue and had his own series of Dead Fantasy. That always looks amazing.

darkshadow
Thu, 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM
It's not a videogame engine.

Ryllharu
Thu, 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM
If anything, the character models bear a strong resemblance to the 3D Custom Girl software by TechArts3D (though I would hardly call that a "game").

The draping of the hair and clothes is almost identical.

darkshadow
Thu, 03-21-2013, 05:32 PM
It's not whatever that is either.

MFauli
Thu, 03-21-2013, 05:48 PM
stop being so anal. it looks like a videogame, thats what i meant to say.

darkshadow
Thu, 03-21-2013, 07:58 PM
I love it when people don't say the thing they actually meant; looking like a videogame and being produced on a videogame engine are 2 entirely different things, you stupid fucking idiot.

Just say what you mean, instead of saying some dumb shit only to crawl back after being called out on said dumb shit.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 03-21-2013, 08:47 PM
So, I'm guessing the four titular characters are all supposed to be takes on various fairy tale women.

Ruby is Red Riding Hood.

Weiss is Snow White.

I'm assuming Yellow is Goldielocks. No idea who Black is supposed to be.

I love it when people don't say the thing they actually meant; looking like a videogame and being produced on a videogame engine are 2 entirely different things, you stupid fucking idiot.

Just say what you mean, instead of saying some dumb shit only to crawl back after being called out on said dumb shit.What are you Monty's personal blowjob manager? Grow up.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Flaming stops here.

DS, what do you think it is?

MFauli
Fri, 03-22-2013, 04:15 AM
So, I'm guessing the four titular characters are all supposed to be takes on various fairy tale women.

Ruby is Red Riding Hood.

Weiss is Snow White.

I'm assuming Yellow is Goldielocks. No idea who Black is supposed to be.

well, usually Snow White features black hair, so Iīd rather Black as Snow White. Even though the name fits better, yeah.
But then I have no idea, who White could be.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-22-2013, 06:00 AM
Sleeping Beauty?

Yellow could be Rapunzel.

darkshadow
Fri, 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM
well, usually Snow White features black hair, so Iīd rather Black as Snow White. Even though the name fits better, yeah.
But then I have no idea, who White could be.

Another fucking stupid post...
Her name is Weiss..aren't you from germany? You know that means White right?
And if that wasn't a big enough tell for you, there is a snowflake in her hair, a snowflake on her back, snowflakes in the windows and snowflakes in her magic...snowflakes fucking everywhere.

What are you Monty's personal blowjob manager? Grow up.

That's one of the dumbest things I've read on the forum to date, my reply wasn't even remotely related to "monty"...or in other words
http://narwhaler.com/img/qi/t/that-post-gave-me-cancer-spiderman-qITRWJ.jpg

Told you to stop. Banned for 7 days.

MFauli
Fri, 03-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Another fucking stupid post...
Her name is Weiss..aren't you from germany? You know that means White right?
And if that wasn't a big enough tell for you, there is a snowflake in her hair, a snowflake on her back, snowflakes in the windows and snowflakes in her magic...snowflakes fucking everywhere.[/img]

Alright, what is your damn problem?
Maybe Weiss IS Snowwhite, but that doesnīt change the fact that one of Snowwhiteīs most prominent features is her "ebony black hair". Maybe this anime will ignore that, but if itīs based on these fairy tales, it would make more sense for Black to be Snowwhite. And thatīs all there is to it.

Report problematic posts instead of responding to them in future. It doesn't completely excuse insults.

darkshadow
Fri, 03-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Alright, Mr. Apex-Asshole, what is your damn problem? Stop raging like a girl on her period.
Maybe Weiss IS Snowwhite, but that doesnīt change the fact that one of Snowwhiteīs most prominent features is her "ebony black hair". Maybe this anime will ignore that, but if itīs based on these fairy tales, it would make more sense for Black to be Snowwhite. And thatīs all there is to it.

My problem is that the part of your brain that should be taking care of logic seems to be failing in every single post you make.
Her name is White and Snow is her theme... 1+1 = 3? Stop being such an idiot.

Also just to humour you, I googled "RWBY Weiss" and the very first result tells me her full name is Weiss Schnee...if you really are from germany even your defective frontal lobe should be able to figure out what that means.

Stop being so hung up on the hair, red riding hood has been depicted as a blond plenty of times but you aren't bitching about that, mfauli logic etc..

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Can't you all just shut the fuck up and settle this through PM's instead of spamming the thread?

darkshadow
Fri, 03-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Can't you all just shut the fuck up and settle this through PM's instead of spamming the thread?

nope, this is pretty relevant to the thread:rolleyes:

darkshadow
Fri, 03-22-2013, 05:32 PM
"Black" trailer.

http://youtu.be/ImKCt7BD4U4

meh...

Shinji Ikari
Sat, 03-23-2013, 06:40 AM
US people should not be allowed to dub anything, even products made in the US. US voice actors are beyond critique, they are so bad they make their moms faking orgasm sound real.

Black voice acting was some of the worst I've ever heard.

Edit: Who would by the way want to watch a copy of a copy of a copy? They can't make their own art style so they copy someone else. They can't make their own themes so they copy old characters and they can't make their own setting so they copy that too.

And of course anyone not agreeing to me would say "Everyone copies someone else". Yes they do, but at least some of them don't turn that copy into crap.

MFauli
Sat, 03-23-2013, 07:02 AM
US people should not be allowed to dub anything, even products made in the US. US voice actors are beyond critique, they are so bad they make their moms faking orgasm sound real.

Thereīs really nothing worse than anime with englisch dubs. Maybe Iīm biased, because itīs my own language, but maybe itīs because dubbing is more prominent here. Anyway, when it comes to anime, the Japanese original voices are always the best, while German dubbing is often times surprisingly well done, too. Of course, German dubbing ruined Naruto, so thereīs that, too ...

Dark Dragon
Sat, 03-23-2013, 10:58 AM
@Shinji+MFauli

I call bullshit.

From your comments, i really doubt either of you have seen enough dubs to be able to judge what is good and bad.
The voice acting industry is much more prominent in Japan, so it will obviously attract more talented people and produce quality product more often.

To say that all English voice actors are bad stinks of so much weeaboo, it makes me wants to vomit. Are you guys also going to go piss on Mel Blanc grave after this?

American cartoon in general mostly all have good voice acting, because cartoon is a prominent business over here. Anime is more of an afterthought so it doesn't attract the talent.

Just compare shows like Avatar or any comic book animation to most attempt at anime dubbing and you'll see what i'm talking about.

There are still many good example of dubbing in anime despite all that.

Cowboy Beebop, Baccano, Samurai Champloo, Trigun, FMA and Death Note just to name a few.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Easy on the language (all parties)..

DarthEnderX
Sat, 03-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Maybe Weiss IS SnowwhiteIt's also made pretty obvious by the fact that the song that plays during her trailer is called Mirror Mirror.

Even after the trailer, I still have no idea who Blake is supposed to be.

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 03-23-2013, 04:28 PM
I think Black is supposed to be inspired by Belle from Beauty and the Beast.
Additionally, Adam is the name of the Beast from that story.
Yellow is most likely going to be Goldilocks inspired.

I also thought the voice acting was pretty bad.
Blake sounded so dull and it didn't really fit with the action going on.
Adam sounded like he was trying way too hard to sound cool.

Also, the topic is wrong, "Blue instead of Black" haha.

Dark Dragon
Sat, 03-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Yeah, i just realized that.

I was thinking of Red vs Blue when typing out the title.

If a mod could change it, it'll be great.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 03-23-2013, 07:05 PM
American dubs of DBZ is superior to Japanese in my opinion.

MFauli
Sat, 03-23-2013, 07:18 PM
American dubs of DBZ is superior to Japanese in my opinion.

ANY dub of DBZ is better than the Japanese one due to SonGoku being voiced by a woman.

Penner
Sat, 03-23-2013, 09:29 PM
I'm curious, why does the VA being female matter? Isn't both Naruto and Luffy voiced by women as well?

Shinji Ikari
Sun, 03-24-2013, 03:34 AM
@Shinji+MFauli

I call bullshit.

From your comments, i really doubt either of you have seen enough dubs to be able to judge what is good and bad.
The voice acting industry is much more prominent in Japan, so it will obviously attract more talented people and produce quality product more often.

To say that all English voice actors are bad stinks of so much weeaboo, it makes me wants to vomit. Are you guys also going to go piss on Mel Blanc grave after this?

American cartoon in general mostly all have good voice acting, because cartoon is a prominent business over here. Anime is more of an afterthought so it doesn't attract the talent.

Just compare shows like Avatar or any comic book animation to most attempt at anime dubbing and you'll see what i'm talking about.

There are still many good example of dubbing in anime despite all that.

Cowboy Beebop, Baccano, Samurai Champloo, Trigun, FMA and Death Note just to name a few.

Unfortunately The US has taken it upon themselves to dub every god damn game I've ever bought since childhood (of course when I was a kid VA wasn't an issue in games since no one talked out loud to begin with). So yes, I consider myself after playing over 200 games and watching over 200 anime shows to be pretty damn informed. Even watched Skyrim trailers in Japanese and OH MY GOd they were sooo awesome.

I say this regarding dubs. The US people have NO IDEA how to convey feelings and settings created by Japanese people. So whenever they open their mouth they either sounds exaggerated or it doesn't convey any feelings at all. I'll be damned if they destroy another FF or Tales game for me.

Actually most American cartoons stink, with the exception of Spider-Man from the 90's. But they figured out a way of destroying him too with the new series which makes him look like a moron and act even worse.

Voice acting from the west can be good, but almost only when the game/cartoon is created by US people to begin with. And games have good voice acting because they hire famous people who have acted in countless movies.

So speaking purely from experience, it does seem I have a lot more experience than you do. Anime dubs is a NO. Game dubbing is a NO. They can make their own cartoons, but I will never watch them cause they are crap to begin with.

Shadow Skill
Sun, 03-24-2013, 04:35 AM
English voices or not, I will watch. I would prefer Japanese voices but I think it's an American company producing it?

Japanese woman voicing Goku is 1000x better than English dub.

MFauli
Sun, 03-24-2013, 05:10 AM
I'm curious, why does the VA being female matter? Isn't both Naruto and Luffy voiced by women as well?

Listen to it and you know.
And no, the problem isnīt "a woman is voicing a guy". The problem is "a woman is voicing a guy and makes him sound like a woman". Completely ridiculous. Same goes for Jean in Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water. I could never watch these anime with their original Japanese VA.

Shadow Skill
Sun, 03-24-2013, 06:57 AM
ROFL Buff. I doubt that could incite an uncivil response. :P I Thank you for being a rigid moderator of these fine forums. :P

MFauli, discuss RWBY instead of DBZ. Goku didn't sound like a girl to me. He sound childish, which I think was the purpose. How many boys do you know that sound like men (Even though Goku is a man when the series ended, but not the point).

I can't wait to see Yellow.

Lucifus
Sun, 03-24-2013, 07:48 AM
Looks like an entertaining watch all things considered, regardless of the flaws you guys have identified.

Has Monty-Oum ever seen any of his projects through to the end? If memory serves, Dead Fantasy remains unfinished ya?

Anyone aware if he's finished any commercial projects after his DF hiatus? I think he worked on Red vs. Blue; anything else?

On another note, these forums have gone to hell; I only come by to browse the releases nowadays. Jesus, has everyone's lives turned to shyt and they're here to vent, or are some folks just victims of substance abuse?

We're all such supreme cyber douche-bags; KitKat would be ashamed.

I blame the shirtless ArchAngel; everyone must feel insecure about their own bodies after seeing his flawless physique.

Just my two cents observing the ceaseless kindergarten bickering thread after thread, don't mind the second half of this post.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-24-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm curious, why does the VA being female matter? Isn't both Naruto and Luffy voiced by women as well?Goku's voice was fine when he was still a kid, it just doesn't seem to fit him once he became an adult.

Actually most American cartoons stink, with the exception of Spider-Man from the 90's. But they figured out a way of destroying him too with the new series which makes him look like a moron and act even worse.Gargoyles solved this by having everyone voiced by Star Trek: TNG actors.

Obviously this solution should be applied to everything.

Kraco
Sun, 03-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Alright, if there's one more post about English voice acting vs Japanese voice acting, I'll split all the posts even remotely touching that subject into their own thread. Right now I'm unwilling to do it, but you decide.

Apart from that, I have to say White was best in my opinion. The werewolves were completely useless in Red. Black had too much talking and although the boss robot was cool, its shots had no power despite looking so flashy. White's opponent, however, was alone yet managed to put up a fight and even draw blood.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 03-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Red is probably my favorite so far. The scythe/rifle is just too awesome and lends itself to the coolest choreography.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 03-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Ruby is my favorite. That innocent yet smug look when she was staring at a growling werewolf was awesome. Her weapon is also the coolest by far. Using recoil for slashing and propulsion is great.

Kraco
Mon, 03-25-2013, 01:58 AM
That innocent yet smug look when she was staring at a growling werewolf was awesome.

It's probably due to the pure computer rendered origins of the graphics that make all of them look consistently sort of expressionless or at least very cold in my opinion. Even when they did sports some valid, obvious expressions during closer shots, they still looked quite plastic. It's the exact same thing with computer games. Hard to say why I don't get this feeling from anime, maybe it's because of the more organic origins or I'm simply hugely biased.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 03-25-2013, 02:29 AM
They could certainly use more expressions in RWBY.

FelixZeroAlastor
Mon, 03-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Ruby was the best one so far imo. Her weapon was quite interesting. Also liked the white trailer.

The black trailer was awful though. I didn't really like the girls weapon and the guy was just... I don't know. After playing Metal Gear Rising, I just knew he was going to fire his sword out like a gun. After that, it was just unimpressive.

Kraco
Tue, 03-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Now that I think about it, wouldn't one consider the Black train fight to be heavily inspired by Sucker Punch? Fighting multiple robots on a train, including cutting them with a katana.

Dark Dragon
Thu, 06-06-2013, 05:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QCw_aAS7vWI

Xelbair
Thu, 06-06-2013, 06:46 PM
can't wait for the full series... thankfully voice acting is a bit better than in black trailer.

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 06-07-2013, 10:53 AM
The creater really loves the whole bullet propulsion huh?

MFauli
Fri, 06-07-2013, 11:01 AM
lol, i pondered if i should click this thread. thought the anime was already being released, since weīre on page 3. guess not. lol, all that just for trailers.

FelixZeroAlastor
Fri, 06-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Ugh, the voice acting from some characters is awful. You'd think since this is coming out of rooster teeth, it would have the same quality of voice acting that red vs blue has.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-07-2013, 01:12 PM
I liked Red a hundred times more before she spoke.

Why couldn't she have just been mute?

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 06-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Agreed. Hell, I liked Red and White better because they didn't speak in the trailer. Ahh well.

MasterOfMoogles
Fri, 06-07-2013, 10:15 PM
I looked up the voice actors on the wikia for this. They are like Rooster Teeth's marketing person, receptionist, one of their girlfriends...
Can't believe they didn't even try with the voice acting.
The script isn't really fantastic either, but the voice acting is just terrible. Yellow is probably the least bad so far, in that regard.
Red... oh my goodness...

Alhuin
Fri, 06-07-2013, 10:59 PM
The creater really loves the whole bullet propulsion huh?

My very first thought when I saw this trailer. It was cool in the beginning, but now it's just overused.

I also agree that Red was much more awesome before she spoke, but I'm going to take it a step further and say the whole "sister" thing was a disappointment as well.

FelixZeroAlastor
Sat, 06-08-2013, 12:03 AM
The whole bullet propulsion thing is kinda annoying. I liked Red's weapon, but I don't really like the others' weapons. Black's is the worst of the four.

Yellow's was quite unoriginal. Seemed to me like he saw Bullet from BlazBlue and decided to use her weapon much like he did when he did the Kairi x Namine thing for Dead Fantasy. It wouldn't surprise me since he likes to use combos from various fighting games in his work. I didn't even understand why he had her reload those gauntlets. They seemed to have infinite bullets to me. The lead up to the fight was also stupid. Will keep watching though when it comes out in July to see if it gets better.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 06-08-2013, 02:58 PM
I feel like this would make a better fighting game than it would an anime...

Actionwise, I felt like this was the best one since the first one.

Ugh, the voice acting from some characters is awful. You'd think since this is coming out of rooster teeth, it would have the same quality of voice acting that red vs blue has.RvB voice work isn't that quality. Most of the characters that sound natural sound like that because the VAs are just playing themselves.

The rest sound about as bad as the voices in this trailer.

Sarge is the only really great voice in RvB.

Kraco
Sat, 06-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Back when I was making maps for a certain game, the voice acting I was getting from other players and editors was similar to what you hear in these trailers. It's hard to guess how much directing has gone into the voice acting in this project. From the experience I mentioned, if you just send over a script with brief notes in parenthesis after the dialogue line telling what sort of emotion you want, it's kind of random what you will get in the end from complete amateurs. Although it's still awesome for the creator of the project to watch the characters with voices for the first time, coming alive. Thus I'm sure the dudes at Rooster Teeth are happy with the voices, even if more objective outside observers aren't.

FelixZeroAlastor
Sat, 06-08-2013, 09:52 PM
I feel like this would make a better fighting game than it would an anime...

Actionwise, I felt like this was the best one since the first one.

RvB voice work isn't that quality. Most of the characters that sound natural sound like that because the VAs are just playing themselves.

The rest sound about as bad as the voices in this trailer.

Sarge is the only really great voice in RvB.

It probably would make a better fighting game then show from what we have seen so far.

I understand RvB isn't the best VO work out there but they have been pretty good through the seasons they have done so far. The last season was mostly story based with the Freelancer program and the VOs were still spot on even from the non core characters.

I know it's not good now but, hopefully it will get better. The first seasons of some of RoosterTeeth's shows were stiff VO wise in their first seasons. This will hopefully follow suite as the VAs grow into their roles.

Ryllharu
Sun, 06-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Yellow's was quite unoriginal. Seemed to me like he saw Bullet from BlazBlue and decided to use her weapon much like he did when he did the Kairi x Namine thing for Dead Fantasy.Between the styling of the armor on the gauntlets and the weapon in it, I thought the influence was far more Nanoha StrikerS, though I guess with the costume, Bullet seems more likely.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 06-09-2013, 01:33 PM
If you want to go just by looks, Yellow's gauntlets are totally Ieyasu Tokugawa from Sengoku Basara.

FelixZeroAlastor
Sat, 07-20-2013, 09:24 AM
The first episode is out. You can watch it here on the roosterteeth website (http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=7872).

Not sure when they will post it on their youtube.

Pretty good first episode. Ruby Red's VA seems to fit perfectly now. The action was good and I liked the opening story. Should be interesting.

neflight86
Sat, 07-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Any word on whether this is weekly, or...?

FelixZeroAlastor
Sun, 07-21-2013, 12:58 AM
If it is like their other series it will be weekly hopefully. Guess we will find out next week.

TheBladeChild
Sun, 07-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Episode will be coming out weekly:

from RTX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoJzEb7qH28

around 29:50

TheBladeChild
Sat, 07-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Episode 2:

http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=7897&carousel=1&cid=1

Way too short =(

neflight86
Thu, 08-01-2013, 11:39 PM
3 is out. I am apparently a sucker for any character that is a spitting image of Ron Stoppable....

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-04-2013, 01:32 PM
and he wields a sword, so he can't be useless, everyone can use a sword just "swish swish! stab!"

@ topic, its actually pretty fun to watch, but the voice acting is nowhere near RvB Season 8 onwards. what a shame, they can do better

didn't google the VA's and can't make them out without their helmets on, so wheres my South Dakota, Carolina and most important, Tex?

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 08-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Ep 4 is out.

Ahh Jean....you lady killer.

lelouch
Fri, 08-09-2013, 08:45 AM
This show... is a huge disappointment from the trailers.

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 08-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Well I think the first couple of eps are kind of an intro to all the characters. Seeing as how only the actual characters are actually animated instead of being just black templates. The headmaster did talk about destroying/killing stuff so I think there will be a lot more action in the next one.

lelouch
Fri, 08-09-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm skeptical. It seems that the creators are trying to appeal to too many different audiences. The trailers made this show out to be a serious, deep anime, and now the episodes are about fan-girlism and retarded shy boys trying to figure out how to get by at a school where they don't fit in. It lacks a genre / focus.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 08-10-2013, 05:51 AM
I agree with you there but like I said earlier. I think everybody has now been introduced or at least shown so that they can focus on an actual story/combat.

Kraco
Sat, 08-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Wasn't the school supposed to be an elite academy where only the best get in? Even this test right off the bat suggests as much, after all, as it apparently poses a lethal danger according to the headmaster. So how on Earth does that Jean fit in? How did an idiot like that get enrolled in the first place? I'm only waiting for it to be revealed his dad is the biggest sponsor of the academy; nothing else would suffice.

I can't help but agree with lelouch: the plot doesn't seem too solid and lacks focus.

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-10-2013, 02:10 PM
The trailers made this show out to be a serious, deep anime

say what?
trailers were screaming "made by Monty Oum " and nothing else

lelouch
Thu, 08-15-2013, 09:32 PM
Episode 5 is out:
-------------------------------------------------------

What do you know, another 4 minutes of "be my friend, be my friend, oh please be my friend." Yes, this is exactly what we saw coming from the Ruby trailer.

At this point, I'd rather just watch Inferno Cop.

lelouch
Tue, 09-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Anyone still watching this?

darkshadow
Wed, 09-11-2013, 07:26 AM
no........

Inazuma
Wed, 09-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Because it's shit

Yukimura
Wed, 09-11-2013, 03:38 PM
I am, I really enjoyed the latest ep (8), 7 sucked majorly and was basically just filler but 8 contained everything good I expected out of the series and more. The voice acting felt even weaker than usual which did take it down a notch or two for me but I'm into it mainly for the fight choreography and the silliness of characters and on those fronts I was not disappointed. Ep 8 was 12 minutes long as opposed to the 3-5 min most of the previous eps have been and at least 10 of those minutes were action of the same style, if not caliber as seen in Dead Fantasy 2 which is exactly what I want out of the show.

neflight86
Wed, 09-11-2013, 06:05 PM
I'm still enjoying it... though admittedly more like a Saturday morning Disney channel cartoon or younger kid's anime. It fits that role just about perfectly by my estimate.

Two concerns though; I feel that the content would be better served in episodes of twice the length, even if that meant airing with half the frequency. This last episode ended the first mini arc and felt like a much better length for what is being portrayed here. I noticed DVD box set pre-orders listed on the site. I wonder if any formatting to splice these episodes together will take place on that release...

My second concern is another production related one. I am largely indifferent that Rooster Teeth chose to have English voiceover, mixed as the results may be. What that inadvertently does (no subtitles) is draw my attention to the sparse scenery and admittedly low fidelity animation standard RWBY has set for its non-action scenes. I suppose if I had to pick an area to skimp in to make this possible... there could have been worse choices.

Thoughts?

KrayZ33
Thu, 09-12-2013, 03:52 AM
I'm still watching this, stuff is decent, some jokes are better than others

I've seen anime that is worse
the biggest downside is that the episodes are way to short.... so short that its not worth watching / visiting their site for just 1 episode

red vs blue was more fun to watch though

DarthEnderX
Thu, 09-12-2013, 08:25 AM
I am largely indifferent that Rooster Teeth chose to have English voiceoverI'm not really sure why you think a Texas-based company would "choose" to have English voices. What other option would there be?

Kraco
Thu, 09-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Episode 8 wasn't so bad, as have been said. Because it was longer than a single scene and it had lots of action instead of what goes for dialogue in this show.

I can't help but pity the team that got the joke Jean as their leader. First he was established as so incompetent he probably couldn't have brushed his own teeth, but then he suddenly devised a plan to defeat the giant scorpion out of nowhere. And he still can't use any magic. The spear and shield girl seems to be hungry for his cock, but I don't see what the hell the other two, who seem pretty powerful, would benefit from having the doofus as their team leader.

lelouch
Sun, 09-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Yeah there's really no excuse for making a show this bad - I don't care how small their team is. There's really nothing good about it except for those four intros and the OP.

lelouch
Fri, 09-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Episode 10 is out: http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?sid=rwby&v=more

This is a terrible show...

KrayZ33
Sat, 09-21-2013, 06:18 PM
its terrible because all that happened so far should've happened in 2 episodes, not 10 over 10 weeks :/

I could keep watching that, but now I'm losing interest, animation got even worse too, it wasn't good in the beginning, but now its just not worth the time

TheBladeChild
Tue, 04-15-2014, 03:50 AM
Dunno if anyone is still watching. But heres the intro to season 2

http://xekstrin.tumblr.com/post/82446914176/xekstrin-viperas-fresh-from-pax-east-at-the

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 08-02-2014, 10:44 PM
Season 2 has 2 episodes out now.
Anybody else watching this?

They've stepped up their animation a little bit, which is nice. The characters look a little bit better than last season.
Same mix of ridiculous action sequences and very silly comedy antics. Dialog is as ridiculous as always.

If you enjoyed season 1, you'll probably like season 2.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Ridiculous as in horrible? I sampled season 1 and the dialog was less than juvenile, and that is coming from an anime otaku.

EDIT: Maybe it was influenced by the voice acting. I remember being shocked by the 1st episode after loving the trailers.

neflight86
Sun, 08-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Season 2 has 2 episodes out now.
Anybody else watching this?

They've stepped up their animation a little bit, which is nice. The characters look a little bit better than last season.
Same mix of ridiculous action sequences and very silly comedy antics. Dialog is as ridiculous as always.

If you enjoyed season 1, you'll probably like season 2.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll get to watching.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 08-03-2014, 02:28 PM
Yes, the dialog is pretty horrible. You definitely shouldn't go in expecting seriousness or good writing.
That said, I think the show has some charm in a way, even if it is kind of dumb.

The VAs have gotten a little better over time, too, in my opinion.
They're a bit better than they were at say, the end of the Yellow trailer.
I still wouldn't say they're great though.

Xelbair
Sun, 08-03-2014, 05:47 PM
I enjoyed S1 - pretty mindless fun, with decent fights - gotta check out S2.

neflight86
Sun, 08-03-2014, 07:32 PM
Ok caught up. Let the good/badness continue! It's like Monty started the project and said to the production staff "Tell me when theres a fight, I'll do those".

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 08-03-2014, 09:26 PM
I thought it was pretty clever to explain their setting through the main characters playing a strategy board game.
Unfortunately, I didn't realize that immediately and wasn't really paying attention close enough to remember any of the details. And I don't care enough to go back and look again.
Pretty sure one of those countries is related to the badguys.

Also, while episode 1 of season 2 was ridiculously silly, it was a good way to have a cool fight scene early on. I kept trying to guess how they were going to get a scythe out of that, but they didn't do it. Slightly disappointed.

lelouch
Tue, 09-16-2014, 09:43 AM
Anyone watching S2? It's actually not bad.

Had to mention this though. For the RWBY OST, I love (sarcastically) how the tracks are all authored by "Jeff Williams" and FEATURE Casie Williams, even though Casie Williams is the singer and clearly makes the songs with her voice. Clearly an inferiority complex by Jeffy. I've never heard of songs being authored by a singer's pianist or songwriter and have the singer listed as "Featuring". He really makes himself look like an insecure tool by doing that.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 09-16-2014, 09:51 AM
I've never heard of songs being authored by a singer's pianist or songwriter and have the singer listed as "Featuring"Happens all the time with dance music. The songwriter in question makes the song, and then just hires a female singer to sing the lyrics.

For example, there's no David Guetta singing in this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRfuAukYTKg). Hell, in the 90s, when the genre was at its most popular the singer would be lucky to even get a "featuring".

lelouch
Tue, 09-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Right but the RWBY OP songs are all about the singing, it's not dance music.

I'm willing to bet it's definitely an ego thing. He doesn't want to be a "featured" in his daughter's song.

Munsu
Tue, 09-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Well, I'm surprised there's been 5 pages of discussion on this series so far and all I've seen around is how terrible you guys think this show is basically.

Haven't tried it yet, but by the looks of it not worth it?

neflight86
Tue, 09-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Here's the low-d: Imagine if Disney channel tried to make an anime-stylized show and the producer set it in motion and forgot about it until it was time to air; that includes forgetting to fund it. Lo and behold the show is produced anyway when its time to air and the timeslot has been spoken for by another program (this producer is not long for his job). So, as a gesture of goodwill to the production staff, it is released to the unforgiving and cynical viewership of the internet to much jeering and hissing, as promo material aired by our now absent executive painted the show to be what it is not. Opinions are divided between "crap" and "cult classic", but the show must go on...

I think that captures the spirit of most of what came together to create RWBY.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 09-16-2014, 03:56 PM
as promo material aired by our now absent executive painted the show to be what it is not.A million times this.

The trailers for this series made it seems like some kinda super over-the-top actionized take on fairy tale characters.

It's actually some kinda high school drama with fight scenes in it.

NeoCybercoin
Tue, 09-16-2014, 06:40 PM
Well, I still watch it and like it. There is character development but not in drastic ways. You got your love problems since hey, they are teens. But the action scenes are pretty good and well executed. Hell the latest episode made me laugh rather hard.

MasterOfMoogles
Tue, 09-16-2014, 09:07 PM
The show has a certain charm to it, and the action scenes are fantastic.
The drama/dialog certainly isn't going to blow you away, though.

I think the key is to just have the right expectations. I would definitely recommend the show.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-08-2015, 09:02 AM
I'm so glad I never watched this...

Because Japanese dub (https://youtu.be/m-CdE1k9U2s?t=411) is coming.

Ruby Rose: Saori Hayami
Weiss Schnee: Youko Hikasa
Blake Belladonna: Yuu Shimamura
Yang Xiao Long: Ami Koshimizu
Jaune Arc: Hiro Shimono
Nora Valkyrie: Aya Suzaki
Pyrrha Nikos: Megumi Toyoguchi
Lie Ren: Souma Saitou
Ozpin: Kazuhiko Inoue
Glynda Goodwitch: Masumi Asano
Cardin Winchester: Subaru Kimura
Penny: Megumi Han
Roman Torchiwick: Shin-ichiro Miki
Sun Wukong: Tomoaki Maeno
Mysterious Narrator: Kikuko Inoue
Cinder Fall: Yuuko Kaida

KrayZ33
Sun, 11-08-2015, 10:38 AM
Saori Hayami <3

Will probably watch it again... kinda amazed that they managed to pull this off
Doesn't really matter whether you watched this or not, because the story is really not interesting at all and the jokes are really bad.
It's all about the fighting scenes imho. However, might enjoy the rest a bit more when professionals handle it now, who knows.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 11-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Huh, that's a new one. An original american animated show being dubbed Japanese.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-08-2015, 12:21 PM
Doesn't really matter whether you watched this or not, because the story is really not interesting at all and the jokes are really bad.

It's a personal thing. I don't rewatch anything save a few rare exceptions.

vejita613
Sun, 11-08-2015, 10:43 PM
I'm so glad I never watched this...
Because Japanese dub (https://youtu.be/m-CdE1k9U2s?t=411) is coming.

But is it coming here? Will we have access to it?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-08-2015, 11:22 PM
The internet is your friend.