PDA

View Full Version : One Piece Episode 587

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-17-2013, 05:25 PM
[HorribleSubs] One Piece - 587 [360p] (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=414091)

--------------------------------------------

So...if only the tip of Smoker's jutte is Seastone, why couldn't Law just cut through it like he could Tashigi's sword?

Also, why does pulling out Smoker's heart make him pass out? Losing parts via Law's power doesn't effect anyone else negatively.

Also, why does pulling out Smoker's heart even effect him at all? He's a Logia user.

Funny that Tashigi still sucks.

Kraco
Mon, 03-18-2013, 01:32 AM
Also, why does pulling out Smoker's heart make him pass out? Losing parts via Law's power doesn't effect anyone else negatively.

Also, why does pulling out Smoker's heart even effect him at all? He's a Logia user.

Maybe Law was suppressing its beating. Who knows. But apparently for logia users getting parts removed by Law's power is different from more normal means, at least if the logia person was in a human form when it happened.

Regardless, Law kicks ass.

Funny that Tashigi still sucks.

Yeah, although seeing how even Smoker lost, I suppose relatively speaking losing to Law doesn't make her that weak.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-18-2013, 03:24 AM
Maybe Law was suppressing its beating.That's true. He did have it in a little box. So maybe he was squeezing it or something.

Yeah, although seeing how even Smoker lost, I suppose relatively speaking losing to Law doesn't make her that weak.Well, it doesn't help matters that he one shots her then CALLS her weak.

At the very least, it's safe to say she hasn't done much to catch up to Zoro in the past two years.

Kraco
Mon, 03-18-2013, 04:47 AM
Well, it doesn't help matters that he one shots her then CALLS her weak.

At the very least, it's safe to say she hasn't done much to catch up to Zoro in the past two years.

Well, yeah, if you compare her to the fighting oriented central characters from whom we expect continuous growth in battle prowess, then most certainly she hasn't done much if this fight is of any indication. However, I'm not too sure she was that sort of a character to begin with. She's very idealistic and orderly. Does she even strive to become uber strong personally? Zoro has been willing to risk his life from the beginning and is doing little but training, sleeping, and eating drinking. Maybe for Tashigi strength is the strength of Marines as an organization.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-18-2013, 06:56 AM
Well, yeah, if you compare her to the fighting oriented central characters from whom we expect continuous growth in battle prowess, then most certainly she hasn't done much if this fight is of any indication.Who else would you compare them against? Since the whole point of this G5 unit seems to be to set them up marine foils for the Strawhats.

Smoker and Luffy are going to fight again at some point, and I expected that Tashigi and Zoro would fight at some point as well. But the way she is now, there's really no point.

I don't know what the point of keeping pre-timeskip characters around after the timeskip would be if not to also have those characters grow and stay relevant.

For example, I'm fully expecting Coby to be a badass when we see him again. In fact, I was kind of expecting him to have been assigned to Smoker's unit since Garp retired. But sadly, that doesn't seem to have been the case.

Kraco
Mon, 03-18-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm not personally expecting anything quite that linear from all the old opponents and acquaintances of the Straw hats, but who knows. Coby was never any uber fighter, though by general Marine standards he was certainly exceptional already, but the last we saw him, he was gaining the mantra style haki and was becoming quite the pacifist. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he had something else in mind for his future than hunting down and beating pirates, rebels, and other outlaws.

I'm not really sure what Smoker and Tashigi's role is in the bigger picture, but right now I'd judge somebody like Akainu far more dangerous. That bastard wouldd really enjoy watching Luffy die, after all, and would be quite a bit more capable of seeing it done than Smoker, no doubt. Smoker seems more like an obsessed small man chasing the coattail's of someone far greater. But perhaps we will learn something more of their role before this arc ends. I hope so. I know I'd enjoy a scene of Tashigi meeting Zoro again.

Assertn
Mon, 03-18-2013, 01:09 PM
So...if only the tip of Smoker's jutte is Seastone, why couldn't Law just cut through it like he could Tashigi's sword?
Haki users can imbue their weapons with haki, just as Rayleigh was able to cut Kizaru with his sword.

The man is gripping your heart. You don't want to mess with that.

Smoker and Luffy are going to fight again at some point, and I expected that Tashigi and Zoro would fight at some point as well. But the way she is now, there's really no point.
How is she ever expected to catch up to Zoro? Zoro was way ahead pre-timeskip, and now he's personally received training from the world's greatest swordsman. Zoro vs Mihawk would be a more interesting fight to have now.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-18-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm not really sure what Smoker and Tashigi's role is in the bigger picture, but right now I'd judge somebody like Akainu far more dangerous.i don't expect Akainu to be a direct antagonist for the Strawhats until very near the end of the series.

In the meantime, I expected Smoker and the G5 unit to represent the Marines ongoing attempts to harry the Strawhats.

Personally, I think this would be more effective from a storytelling perspective if Smoker's unit had more actual named characters in his unit. Just him and Tashigi doesn't make them a credible threat. But maybe with Hina, Fullbody, Jango, Coby and Helmeppo, with 2 years of increased abilities, they'd at least feel like a faction that, I dunno, mattered.

Right now, they don't.

How is she ever expected to catch up to Zoro? Zoro was way ahead pre-timeskip, and now he's personally received training from the world's greatest swordsman. Zoro vs Mihawk would be a more interesting fight to have now.Through a plot device obviously.

There are other ways to get powerful besides just training after all.