PDA

View Full Version : TV: House of Cards

Alhuin
Sat, 03-16-2013, 05:34 PM
http://geekworldinreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/house-of-cards-kevin-spacey.jpg

Set in present day Washington, D.C., House of Cards follows the story of Francis "Frank" Underwood (Kevin Spacey), an ambitious Democratic congressman and the House Majority Whip. After his assistance in ensuring the election of President Garrett Walker (Michael Gill), Underwood is informed by Chief of Staff Linda Vasquez (Sakina Jaffrey) that the existing agreement to appoint him Secretary of State will not be honored. Furious at Walker's betrayal, Underwood and his wife Claire (Robin Wright), an environmental activist, begin seeking out pawns in a protracted political war against Walker. Soon brought into the fray are troubled Congressman Peter Russo (Corey Stoll) and Zoe Barnes (Kate Mara), a young political reporter for the Washington Herald newspaper.

I'm not much of a political person, but this series has been extremely entertaining so far. I originally started watching it because it starred Kevin Spacey, who is an amazing actor, and plays the villain role very well. Spacey may not be the villain in this series, per say, but he's definitely someone you don't want to piss off. I don't really know the other actors/actresses that well, except Kate Mara, who played in American Horror Story.

Has anyone else seen this?

TwisT
Sun, 03-17-2013, 02:16 PM
No i had missed this one. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Will try 1-2 episodes and see if it's my cup of tea.

Munsu
Sun, 03-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Haven't watched it yet, heard good things about it so certainly will give it a shot soon.

Alhuin
Mon, 03-18-2013, 12:02 AM
Netflix apparently didn't really promote the show until after it was released, or so I've read, so I'm not surprised you all haven't heard of it until now. Even I didn't catch it until it popped up in my "recommended" list. Of course, it was only after my friend mentioned it to me, and I learned that it featured Kevin Spacey, that I decided to give it a try.

I'm almost finished with the season. As of right now, the beginning was much better; it felt like more happened to further the goals of Spacey's character. I suppose that's typical of TV series though. You get your "filler" episodes towards the middle of the season. Hopefully the closing episodes redeem it.

Sapphire
Tue, 12-24-2013, 07:38 PM
I came for Kevin Spacey. I stayed for EVERY CHARACTER, EVERY PLOT POINT, EVERY THINGGGG!!!

Freakin' gem of a show. And I was beginning to get depressed by having nothing to watch this holiday season while my lab is closed. Well, I guess I'm depressed again because I already marathoned this season in one day....

Next season comes out February. (Lucky me~)

-

I disagree about the middle, I thought everything was very concise. The long form of a TV series allows for more simmering, more development but not really stagnance like the feeling you get from Walking Dead or even Boardwalk Empire (cough or Breaking Badcough).

The historical Shakespearean one-liners are definitely more prevalent in the first three episodes, though. It was obvious from episode one that the creator of this show is actually a playwright. The eloquence of some of Kevin's monologues are almost nonexistent in modern TV unless you count some liberal translations from some of the better anime translators.

Kate Mara is annoying but still a damn good character.

Munsu
Sun, 01-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Well, finally started watching this... up to episode 4 now and this is quite awesome, well acted and good dialogue. Should finish up later today.

Animeniax
Sun, 01-05-2014, 03:28 PM
Haven't watched it yet, heard good things about it so certainly will give it a shot soon.

Same boat, need to start watching this series.

Munsu
Sun, 01-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Same boat, need to start watching this series.

Not the same boat, I'm 6 episodes in now.

Animeniax
Mon, 01-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Saw the first episode. The show has promise, if it can get past it's over-use of cliches and smarm. Underwood's lines are straight quotes from a political intrigue novel, and his wife's are even worse. "The iron's in the fire." "I like iron... I like fire too."

I can't think of two hotter sisters in Hollywood than the Maras.

Munsu
Mon, 01-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Saw the first episode. The show has promise, if it can get past it's over-use of cliches and smarm. Underwood's lines are straight quotes from a political intrigue novel, and his wife's are even worse. "The iron's in the fire." "I like iron... I like fire too."

I can't think of two hotter sisters in Hollywood than the Maras.

I get what you mean, but it fits... I think you'll enjoy it if you keep with it.

Animeniax
Mon, 01-06-2014, 04:47 PM
I get what you mean, but it fits... I think you'll enjoy it if you keep with it.

Yeah I think so too. I like pretty much everything Kevin Spacey has been in, and there's enough T&A to keep the show from being like visiting an old folks home.

I loved the part when they're looking for someone they can use and control, and he says one candidate is "too queer." I had a Middle Eastern buddy who loved Spacey's work, then wanted him dead when rumors were that Spacey was gay.

Munsu
Tue, 02-04-2014, 06:44 PM
House of Cards has already been renewed for a 3rd season, and season 2 hasn't begun yet. Season 2 begins in 10 days, which is an odd date for a premiere... no pun intended.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/netflix-renews-house-cards-season-677027

Munsu
Sun, 02-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Well season 2 is out and about, any of you watching it or have watched it yet?

Alhuin
Mon, 02-17-2014, 01:45 AM
I haven't watched it yet... I plan on it soon, but I'm catching up on other shows first. How far have you gotten?

Munsu
Mon, 02-17-2014, 07:46 AM
I haven't watched it yet... I plan on it soon, but I'm catching up on other shows first. How far have you gotten?

Not watching it yet, I'm waiting a bit.

TwisT
Mon, 02-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Just finished the whole season. So much scheming and backstabbing. Oh how i love this show. Only thing im sad about is I'm already finished with season 2 and it just came out 3 days ago. Gonna be a bitch waiting a whole year.