http://cdn1.wakanim.tv/actus/actualite/g/i/gitsarise12023.png

Official Website
http://www.kokaku-a.com/

Release Date
Some time in 2013

Official Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb1c-T-ox-E&feature=player_embedded

Story
Apparently this is going to be about Kusanagi's youth within Kokaku. I have found nothing better to explain the plot yet.
Studio: Production I.G.
Writter: Gen Urobuchi(Fate/Zero, Phantom of the Inferno, Madoka)

My Impressions
HOLY SHIT. to see something like this come back is for me something very emotional, case and point : I've never created a thread in General anime ever and I've started Gotwooting while Reagan was still alive. Do not expect anything unbiased from me about this show.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-01-2013, 08:35 PM
It looks so weird that they're young, but whatever. I'm in.

tnynyn
Sat, 03-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Could of sworn Saito didn't join until later on as explained in one of the GIT SAC series (forgot which one, but the episode was called "Poker Face", my fav of the series)

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Could of sworn Saito didn't join until later on as explained in one of the GIT SAC series (forgot which one, but the episode was called "Poker Face", my fav of the series)

That would have been 2nd GIG, but yeah.. during his fight with Motoko she was already an adult.

Inazuma
Sun, 03-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Motoko is known to switch between older and younger bodies depending on the situations - I really dont think her physique can be used as a reference point for the timeline.

EpyonNext
Thu, 03-07-2013, 05:27 PM
The only one who would really be out of place in that pic is Togusa. As far as I know, Saito was "recruited" before Kusinagi joined Section 9. I cant read or speak Japanese so I assume the "2027" flash in the trailer is the year this takes place in(S.A.C. is 2030). That would cause a continuity issue as Togusa was (again, as far as I know) recruited into Section 9 just before S.A.C. began.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 03-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Yeah, this doesn't make sense. It gives the impression that the exact same team has been working together for, like, ages.

If it's really only 3 years before SAC, then the Chief must have had a really stressful 3 years.

einbreaker
Thu, 03-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Is it officially in S.A.C. continuity?

EpyonNext
Fri, 03-08-2013, 12:28 AM
Pazu and Borma are in the cast above and they are considered to be S.A.C. specific characters.

I will say that the Major's look is growing on me. It's like a combination of her movie and TV series appearances.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-25-2013, 06:04 AM
Ghost In The Shell: Arise OAV - 01 [BD 720p AAC] v2 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=446143)

Kraco
Tue, 06-25-2013, 01:30 PM
I got a release by RIPinpieces and it needed the audio to be adjusted by 500ms and there were occasional minor font problems. So, it was hardly worth archiving but otherwise watchable. I hope a better one appears at some point by a ripper knowing what they are doing.

I liked this well enough. It feels like the plot was made to look more complicated than it was, but it worked. Not to mention this naturally had an underlying intro feeling. It had a pretty good balance between physical and cyber as well, now that I look back to it. I had no problems whatsoever with Motoko's looks and voice, either.

If I had to choose a (violent) way to die, I think being hugged by a cute mobile mine wouldn't be a bad choice!

The MS Surface ad was almost as strange as the Nokia communicator in the Star Trek movie...

shinta|hikari
Tue, 06-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Motoko is so hot. I usually hate blatant fanservice in more serious shows, but this was yum.

I feel sorry for Batou. It seems it is his destiny to be Motoko's punching bag.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-27-2013, 03:15 AM
Young Motoko's got some character (read: retaliation) in her that isn't found in the other continuities. I like that. Quite a lot.

I'm having some trouble telling apart the fabricated memories from the real ones, but that's alright. Maybe if I come back to it some other time it would make sense.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 06-27-2013, 03:34 AM
Good point on Motoko's personality. She certainly seems a lot more human, which makes sense because of her youth. Her personality in the future is given a lot more perspective because of the contrast.

Kraco
Thu, 06-27-2013, 06:15 AM
Yeah, I also thought her personality difference suited this episode. She wasn't yet a squad leader in Section 9 but a military underling in every sense of the word, not even owing her own body. Quite rebellious, though, that was for sure, but that's something that was evident even in the old shows - she tended to do things her way. However, becoming a leader did change her personality logically if we compare this Motoko and the older one. Although she never did become a very bossy boss who would delegate much or rely on her squad - half the time the other people have no idea what she's doing, after all. That was showing through already in this episode.

Inazuma
Fri, 06-28-2013, 09:45 AM
I am a big fan of GITS but this was a let down.

The voices felt wrong, the continuity feels out of whack, the exposition is not subtle. " BATOU THE RANGER OMG !!!111!!1! "
And the animation felt below par.

Am I just too picky or can this be agreed upon ?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-28-2013, 10:33 AM
The continuity was the main thing that had me raising eyebrows, but now that I know they're only roughly sticking with SAC I don't really mind.

Kraco
Fri, 06-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Once I got over of Motoko sounding like Shiki, which took a few minutes, the voices were good for me. I didn't really care for any continuation errors because the general atmosphere was similar and the characters as individuals pretty much the same, apart from plausible differences arising from being younger and not yet part of Section 9.

The animation was just fine, and the visuals at large as well.

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Sakamoto Maaya did a fine job as the Major. I was skeptical for the longest time, but after watching it, I fell into a rhythm with her voice. She's still a young pup, but she's the Major all the same. Well done on her part.

I also found the shift that she's never had a real body to be rather intriguing. Since she was downloaded to a full cyberbrain right from the start, they simply modeled her body after her mother's. It's an interesting change from her previous incarnations either wrestling with whether she really exists at all before entering the net as an ethereal being, or being put into a cyborg body at age 6 and being forced to adapt. This take opens up the way for some rather thoughtful interludes that I hope they address at some point possibly with Togusa or Batou (or if we're super lucky, Aramaki).

einbreaker
Fri, 12-06-2013, 09:59 PM
cough border 2 (http://tracker.anime-index.org/download.php?id=4f2746bab3c3ad768369a285bc4cf17567 f7825a&f=[Seiakusetsu]%20Ghost%20in%20the%20Shell%20Arise%20-%20Border%202%20-%20Ghost%20Whispers%20(BD%201280x720%20h264%20AAC) %20[fca22784].mp4.torrent)

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-07-2013, 01:29 AM
Batou beat Motoko in a melee!?!

WTF.

Then the anime gods helped her out with a wounded Paz shot.

Poor Batou.

I really liked how buffed and useful Batou was in this.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Batou beat Motoko in a melee!?!

WTF.

Then the anime gods helped her out with a wounded Paz shot.

Poor Batou.

I really liked how buffed and useful Batou was in this.

I like that too. It gives Batou some sort of edge against Motoko. The last come of times I remember them fighting, Motoko always won via eye-hacking I think. It also shows a little weakness in Motoko's character since she's supposedly young here.

I'm not sure that I like Saito's change though. His poker face thing was so cool in SAC2.

Kraco
Wed, 12-11-2013, 12:02 PM
I liked the first movie more. Although this one had good action and it was nice to see most of the old gang again, the plot felt kind of lackluster. This would have worked better as episodes of a regular weekly show, but it's kind of pity to wait for a movie about traffic congestion for half a year. Because that's honestly what this movie seemed mainly to be about. The setting didn't really make much sense, either. As if blocking somebody's net access could ever be that hard. I also don't quite remember from the earlier GitS shows the traffic to be under such a strict control either.

I hope the next movie will be better again.

Inazuma
Thu, 12-12-2013, 06:27 AM
Actually about the traffic. Its something thats recurrent.
First movie, Gits series, ...

Theres going to be a single phrase about " Motoko you shouldnt dive and drive. " or " Send a virus to slow traffic down so we can catch up. "

Its completly forgetable and is a sucky theme compared to organ trafficking in SAC, memory manipulaiton, forced child labor ...

I hope that the next movie will suck a lot less just like Kraco.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 12-23-2013, 09:54 PM
I love how they seem to have no compunctions about mowing down characters, but the ones that end up joining the team just seemed to be spared completely arbitrarily.

With Batou it makes some sense because she knows him sorta.

But then you have a character like Borma. Who, like, EVERYONE around Borma gets slaughtered, and there's really no rhyme or reason to why he gets spared when everyone else gets blown up and gunned down.

She certainly seems a lot more human, which makes sense because of her youth.DOES that make sense for someone that's never been human? What is her "youth" other than they kept her in a smaller body for awhile.

I'm not sure that I like Saito's change though. His poker face thing was so cool in SAC2.Same. That episode is pretty much my favorite thing in GitS ever. And the fact that he doesn't even seem like the same character in this is a letdown.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-23-2013, 10:33 PM
DOES that make sense for someone that's never been human? What is her "youth" other than they kept her in a smaller body for awhile.

Youth = Lack of knowledge and experience.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Ghost_in_the_Shell_Arise_Ep_3_[1080p,BluRay,aac,x264]_-_THORA.mkv

--------------------------------------------------------

Yep, naive and exploitable Motoko is fun to watch indeed. You know she can be tricked much more easily.

I would have guessed that the evil Colonel was the one that Motoko knew, but I can't remember if she was in the normal SAC series as a good person.

Kraco
Thu, 07-31-2014, 06:16 AM
Yep, naive and exploitable Motoko is fun to watch indeed. You know she can be tricked much more easily.

It was kind of a strange feeling to watch this episode with Motoko seemingly the least competent of the whole bunch under these circumstances. But I suppose it's plausible experiences such as this are what made the older Motoko we know better.

Togusa was lucky he didn't die with his natural body getting hit like that by a cyborg.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Ghost In The Shell ARISE 4 [720p] (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=596561)

Munsu
Wed, 09-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Well, just watched the first two episodes and quite enjoyed it. I liked the first one a lot more though. That said, I quite miss the soundtrack from the tv series.

I'm still confused about where this series is taking place. Anidb lists it as an alternate version from Stand Alone Complex, taking place rather in the continuity of the original movies. But I see a lot of you mentioning that the seems to be set within the Stand Alone Complex sequence in some manner.

Though if mix the two suggestions, can we say this takes place in the original continuity but borrowing ideas (and characters) from Stand Alone Complex?

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Probably. I gave up on the continuity thing and just decided this was pre-Sect9. Saito and Togusa had different origins than SAC, that's for sure. Possibly Batou as well.