PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Tail Ep. 169

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-15-2013, 10:52 PM
[HorribleSubs] Fairy Tail - 169: 1080p (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=404515) | 720p (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=404512) | 480p (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=404510)

----------------------------------------------------

. . . ?!

That was.. anticlimatic. Raven Tail completely sucked.

Wendy's fight was alright, but that's only the build-up. I'll decide when she inevitably busts out Milky Way.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 02-16-2013, 01:49 AM
Anticlimactic? Fuck that! Laxus soloed Raven Tail!

I went into this episode thinking his defeat was a forgone conclusion, but the instant he one-shotted the power negator I knew they were going to go the other way with it.

And looking at it now, his victory isn't that surprising. 3 of the 5 just aren't that powerful. They basically had to cheat in order to defeat people much weaker than Laxus. And Ivan's power seems to be awesome illusions, which he stupidly used on everyone EXCEPT Laxus. So once the guy that could simply turn Laxus' magic off was KO'd his victory was pretty much assured.

I thought at least they would be able to cover up their cheating though even though they lost. I wasn't expecting them to be exposed and banned from the tournament.

I kind of lol'd when Ivan said "I put together this team specifically to exploit Fairy Tail's weaknesses!" I was all, "You fool! Fairy Tail doesn't HAVE any weaknesses! HAHA!"

Okay, so Wendy said she's used up all her magic. Which means her container is empty, which means she SHOULD be able to expand her container and eat the black wind if she's able to do the same thing Natsu did. It's just a matter of whether she knows or will figure out to do it.

I'm guessing this God Slayer magic is supposed to be badass, but it's hard to be impressed when the character that introduced it to us got completely owned.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-16-2013, 02:17 AM
And looking at it now, his victory isn't that surprising. 3 of the 5 just aren't that powerful. They basically had to cheat in order to defeat people much weaker than Laxus. And Ivan's power seems to be awesome illusions, which he stupidly used on everyone EXCEPT Laxus. So once the guy that could simply turn Laxus' magic off was KO'd his victory was pretty much assured.

I was hoping Ivan was going to be stronger than what he showed us. Being "anti-FT", one would expect that in concept they should at least have some sort of advantage (like water pokemon against fire pokemon style). Since Laxus is his own son, I would have thought Ivan would understand his power the most (Ivan was the one who implanted Laxus's lacrima too).

Perhaps the biggest thing that led me on this episode was how Ivan used those paper-men whose red-blue design suggested that they used magnetism somehow - which would allow Ivan to use electromagnetism to make himself immune to electricity.

And then they all got one-shotted - which means I only got to see Laxus use 5 attacks. :(

Okay, so Wendy said she's used up all her magic. Which means her container is empty, which means she SHOULD be able to expand her container and eat the black wind if she's able to do the same thing Natsu did. It's just a matter of whether she knows or will figure out to do it.

Exactly - though she's not as experienced as Natsu.. and normally when you expend all of your magic 100% you're pretty screwed so it's not the first thing to come to people's minds.

Not to mention, Wendy doesn't have a habit of breathing in other people's air (for good reason I suppose, since there's plenty of it around).

DarthEnderX
Sat, 02-16-2013, 05:29 AM
I was hoping Ivan was going to be stronger than what he showed us. Being "anti-FT", one would expect that in concept they should at least have some sort of advantage (like water pokemon against fire pokemon style). Well, to be fair, it's supposedly an Anti-FT team, with only 5 wizards, and there are 10 FT wizards in the competition.

If you're type picking specific wizards to counter specific members of FT, then you still end up with 5 wizards you haven't accounted for.

It's possible that Raven Tails team was selected to counter Fairy Tail A, and he had no idea that Fairy Tail B was even going to be in the tournament(since Fairy Tail A didn't even know).

Not to mention, Wendy doesn't have a habit of breathing in other people's air (for good reason I suppose, since there's plenty of it around).Well, has she ever actually fought another wizard that also uses wind attacks before?

I mean, Natsu does it all the time, but that's because he constantly ends up fighting other fire wizards for some reason.

Aside from that one guy from early in the series that's from before Wendy was even in the series, I don't remember there being another Wind wizard.

Kraco
Sat, 02-16-2013, 06:30 AM
You guys are giving Ivan and his guild too much credit. Ivan is basically a coward with no real strength. Even if he in theory should have real power, his lack of willpower and his petty thinking and ambition prevent him from putting it to good use. Such a man wouldn't, either, build a guild with members nearly as strong as he is himself, out of the fear. Not to mention it used to be a dark guild. You can see his mortal flaws and the subsequent pettiness in all of his actions: He's chasing after Lumen Histoire, he made Laxus an artificial dragon slayer, he tried to build a guild specifically targeting the enemy's weaknesses, he heavily relies on subterfuge and cheating (spies, this 5 vs 1 fight). In short, he has always suffered from an utter lack of self-confidence and thus rather than work hard to become strong, like most strong people have in this show, he's always looking for short-cuts and any indirect means to get to the top. He's a loser and so is his whole guild. There's no way whatsoever they could have posed any challenge to Laxus.

Forgetting Laxus's lousy luck in getting a proper fight, I did enjoy Wendy's trial. That one announcer was calling it cute too many times, but I still have to agree there's something cute about her giving her all to fight violently. I have never tried to think of her as a mere mascot of Fairy Tail, but it is the feeling she sometimes gives, despite being a central character, so it's good she occasionally gets a chance to really get her hands dirty without a backup just like everybody else does in her rough and aggressive guild.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Well, to be fair, it's supposedly an Anti-FT team, with only 5 wizards, and there are 10 FT wizards in the competition.

If you're type picking specific wizards to counter specific members of FT, then you still end up with 5 wizards you haven't accounted for.

It's possible that Raven Tails team was selected to counter Fairy Tail A, and he had no idea that Fairy Tail B was even going to be in the tournament(since Fairy Tail A didn't even know).

If Ivan's current team wasn't built for countering Laxus, he certainly didn't show it. His realisation was the very definition of WTF?!

Why did did Obra's (Ivan's trump card, pretty much) magic not work is a nice question. The only real explanation is Laxus's speed, but that should have been taken into account. I guess I must be giving Ivan too much credit, as Kraco says. He doesn't seem to be terribly smart either.

Well, has she ever actually fought another wizard that also uses wind attacks before?

Good point. Totally forgot about that.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Well, to be fair, it's supposedly an Anti-FT team, with only 5 wizards, and there are 10 FT wizards in the competition.

If Ivan's current team wasn't built for countering Laxus, he certainly didn't show it. His realisation was the very definition of WTF?!

Why did did Obra's (Ivan's trump card, pretty much) magic not work is a nice question. The only real explanation is Laxus's speed, but that should have been taken into account. I guess I must be giving Ivan too much credit, as Kraco says. He doesn't seem to be terribly smart either.

Well, has she ever actually fought another wizard that also uses wind attacks before?

Good point. Totally forgot about that.

There were two wind mages in this series prior to Wendy's debut: The dark guild fellow with his scythe, and the mage from Phantom who sucked Markrov dry. (edit: hmm, maybe he was technically Air magic.. don't remember anymore)

DarthEnderX
Sat, 02-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Why did did Obra's (Ivan's trump card, pretty much) magic not work is a nice question. The only real explanation is Laxus's speedThat was the conclusion I came to. That Laxus took him out before he could cast his spell.

but that should have been taken into account. I guess I must be giving Ivan too much credit, as Kraco says. He doesn't seem to be terribly smart either.Keep in mind also that Ivan didn't realize Garjeel was a triple agent. He was probably basing most of his plan on information Garjeel was feeding him, most of which was probably false.

It's probably simply a matter of Laxus being much stronger than Ivan was led to believe.