PDA

View Full Version : Rock Lee interpretation

aphextwinjunkie
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:00 AM
One thing I could never understand is why people like Rock Lee so much. From my interpretation Rock Lee symbolizes a hard working average American. He is not somebody who is talented, exceptional or special in any way but his drive. His credo is; through hard work and determination, I can advance myself. By basically maiming Rock Lee to the point of inability to perform as a ninja, the people responsible for the manga/anime are saying that hard work and determination will only get you so far, you need to be born talented/elite. This makes much sense since Japanese are very elitist (based purely on personal experience, no stereotyping intended). To me, anybody with interest in Rock Lee is celebrating the fact that the Japanese believe somebody must be born with talent to succeed in life.

JusDaMan
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:09 AM
yea ok im in high school so i got no idea wat u just said but ITS A AVERAGE HARD WORKING JAPANESE DOOD not american =P Lol but yea... Wat u just said in my words...

Blah bla bla bla doood shibby ish yea REALLY!

No offence to u =P Just that i do not understand a single sentence that said Lol either the words r too hard or too easy

thetruehooha
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:10 AM
Hard work can overcome anything. It can send men to the moon, and it can overcome inability.
http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/wink.gif

aphextwinjunkie
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:14 AM
Well in American society we would like to think that hard work can overcome most things. The way it seems though is that they are implying hard work can only go so far. And btw, JusDaman, maybe highschoolers speak a different language but i cant understand a word you said either.

~JoY~
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:15 AM
i tot it shd be the other way ard?
rmb dat neji is alwayz telling naruto when u're born ur fate has already been decided and u can't do nth if u aren't born wifout talent blahblahblah?
well.. i guess naruto's suppose to prove him wrong and he is after all the main char.

The Rock Lee part frm wat i think is probably saying even if u dun have talents in sth, u will have talents in other stuff, like his taijutsu... er.. i think.. haha

neway, diff ppl think differently.. ^^;

Power PMV
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:15 AM
I think you have to be born with talent to succeed in live. But I also think that everyone is born with talent just in different areas. For example, there arepeople that no matter how hard they try they will never be able to play piano like Mozart or play basketball like NBA guys, but then they are probably very talented in some other areas, maybe they are very good drawing or are really smart. The point is that to succeed you just have to do what you are good at.

On the other hand I don't think that's what Kishimoto is trying to portray, I think he tries to aim for exactly the opposite. Maybe you have a point with Rock Lee, which I don't believe since he will probably come back anyways and kick more ass than before. But then there are other examples of people who have improved themselves through hard work, the clearest one is obviously Naruto. If you remember the first episode what was Naruto's worst skill? Bunshin no jutsu. Currently what is Naruto's best skill? Kage bunshin no jutsu, a harder version of bunshin no jutsu. So I think Kishimoto actually is trying to say that hard work will take you somewhere.

aphextwinjunkie
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:16 AM
The difference between rock lee and naruto is that naruto was born with the nine tails fox inside him, which translates to some kind of ability. Lee was born with little or no ability and was not much of a ninja untill Gai came along.

thetruehooha
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:18 AM
Forum rules number 10:

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>10) NO ENGRISH&#33; im not joking about this. no more shitty english. this means using PERIODS when they are necessary, no shit like using 2 for to or ne1 for anyone, and using proper grammar whenever possible. spell everything out unless there is an acceptable abbreviation. failure to comply will result in us making fun of you in the IRC channel.
</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

Learn to spell.

aphextwinjunkie
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:19 AM
They have only hinted at being able to revive Rock Lee in the very late chapters of the manga. Finally somebody who can spell and use proper sentences in the post, hah.

Power PMV
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:19 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (aphextwinjunkie &#064; Dec 2 2003, 05:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> The difference between rock lee and naruto is that naruto was born with the nine tails fox inside him, which translates to some kind of ability. Lee was born with little or no ability and was not much of a ninja untill Gai came along. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
so what, he didn&#39;t master kage bunshin no jutsu because of kyubi. Kyubi just provides him with a huge amount of chakra, not with skill. He has been training like everyone else, his skills have improved because of training not because of Kyubi. Even with his Kyubi his chakra control was worse than Sakura&#39;s. How did he fix that? He climbed trees and walked on water. That&#39;s not Kyubi&#39;s help, it&#39;s Naruto&#39;s hard work.

Edit: And about Rock Lee coming back, I don&#39;t think that&#39;s a spoiler. It&#39;s just an assumption. There have been many posts about that in this part of the forum, it seems the most logical thing since Rock Lee is such a popular character.

aphextwinjunkie
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:21 AM
Very true Power PMV... just the way the maimed Rock Lee makes me wonder about the hard work ethic

SeGee
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:24 AM
average hard working american? Where would you see a average american devote his life for something he loves? Rock Lee worked so hard that he made himself special. No one could compete with his power (apart from gaara). He was the best kohona genin. easy kill Neji

+ He has a handicap, only be able to fight hand to hand combat. Mastering Taijutsu the way he did is impressive comparing to the rest. The speed which exceedes most of the jounins (just speculating here, atleast fastest genin).

aphextwinjunkie
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:27 AM
I definitly wouldnt agree with Rock Lee easily being able to kill Neji. Rock Lee wanted to fight Neji, but never had previously been able to beat him. You see Americans all the time dedicating themselves to things.

SeGee
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:28 AM
hm I think you should stop comparing this anime to america... dont think that americans are the only people who are hardworking

Darkflare
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:29 AM
how i see it is that people like rock lee because they like the fact that he is so good in taijutsu. not because they look into the fact that it does kind of show that hard work can only get you so far. but as you can see, even after being shot down, he gets back up and keeps working to accomplish what he has been working for.

Kagari
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:30 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (~JoY~ @ Dec 2 2003, 05:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> i tot it shd be the other way ard?
rmb dat neji is alwayz telling naruto when u&#39;re born ur fate has already been decided and u can&#39;t do nth if u aren&#39;t born wifout talent blahblahblah?
well.. i guess naruto&#39;s suppose to prove him wrong and he is after all the main char.

The Rock Lee part frm wat i think is probably saying even if u dun have talents in sth, u will have talents in other stuff, like his taijutsu... er.. i think.. haha

neway, diff ppl think differently.. ^^; </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
wtf?

anyway yeah, Rock lee has nothing to do with american or japanese. He&#39;s just another character who comes from a different kind of past, one that required him to work harder than others.

aphextwinjunkie
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:31 AM
When did I ever say Americans were the only hardworking people?

SeGee
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:31 AM
I could agree on that. Most Rock lee fans came forward after 48-49 or whatever episode it was, vs gaara

aphextwinjunkie
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:32 AM
I always saw rock lee as a way for japanese to poke fun at americans. But again thats just me.

SeGee
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:33 AM
no where, but after refering almost every answer to americans makes me think that you would

Darkflare
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:33 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (~JoY~ @ Dec 2 2003, 05:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> i tot it shd be the other way ard?
rmb dat neji is alwayz telling naruto when u&#39;re born ur fate has already been decided and u can&#39;t do nth if u aren&#39;t born wifout talent blahblahblah?
well.. i guess naruto&#39;s suppose to prove him wrong and he is after all the main char.

neway, diff ppl think differently.. ^^; </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
translation:

i thought it should be the other way around?
remember that neji is always telling naruto &quot;when you&#39;re born your fate has already been devided and you can&#39;t do anything if you arent if you aren&#39;t born without talent etc..&quot;
well...i guess naruto is supposed to prove him wrong and he is after all, the main character.

the rock lee part from what i think is probably saying &quot;even if you don&#39;t have talent in something, you will have talents in other stuff, like his taijutsu&quot;...i think

anyway, different people think differently

Cyan
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:34 AM
Is the series over? Is Rock Lee dead? Did I miss something?

I don&#39;t read the manga (famous last words, NO this is NOT an invite for a manga reader to make a comment - shouldn&#39;t even be in this forum in my opinion), but he could still make a comeback or become great in something else. sheeeesh negative or what doods? http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/cool.gif

SeGee
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:34 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (aphextwinjunkie @ Dec 2 2003, 06:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I always saw rock lee as a way for japanese to poke fun at americans. But again thats just me. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
poke fun of americans? I dont understand what U mean? This anime has nothing to do with america.. drop it lol

Power PMV
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:36 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Darkflare @ Dec 2 2003, 05:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (~JoY~ &#064; Dec 2 2003, 05:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> i tot it shd be the other way ard?

translation:

remember that neji is always telling naruto &quot;when you&#39;re born your fate has already been devided and you can&#39;t do anything if you arent if you aren&#39;t born without talent etc..&quot;
well...i guess naruto is supposed to prove him wrong and he is after all, the main character.

the rock lee part from what i think is probably saying &quot;even if you don&#39;t have talent in something, you will have talents in other stuff, like his taijutsu&quot;...i think

anyway, different people think differently </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
LOL, does this guy know English?? http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/blink.gif

aphextwinjunkie
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:36 AM
Rock Lee is not dead, he just didnt do too well against Gaara, and the series is not over.

SeGee
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:38 AM
ehm this post is pretty useless, considering that there are crazier fans than Rock lee.. like Shino.. he hasnt said 1 word in the whole series.. ppl think hes just so cool with the bugs.. maybe make a thread about that instead? I see no history in him.. not yet anyways

aphextwinjunkie
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:40 AM
Maybe if you werent so blinded by your rock lee fevor you could look at things in an unbiased manner, but i guess thats too much to ask of you.

~JoY~
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:40 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SeGee @ Dec 2 2003, 05:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> hm I think you should stop comparing this anime to america... dont think that americans are the only people who are hardworking </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
hm.. yeah.. kinda agree since anime is japanese after all.. their cultures and backgrounds are diff.. haha

Darkflare
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:41 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (aphextwinjunkie @ Dec 2 2003, 05:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Maybe if you werent so blinded by your rock lee fevor you could look at things in an unbiased manner, but i guess thats too much to ask of you. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
or perhaps you are stuck on your views of rock lee representing &quot;hard work only going so far&quot; and you also cannot have an unbiased view

aphextwinjunkie
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:42 AM
The only thing i can say in response is http://www.ebaumsworld.com/thesmurfs.shtml ('http://www.ebaumsworld.com/thesmurfs.shtml')

~JoY~
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:42 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Power PMV &#064; Dec 2 2003, 05:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Darkflare &#064; Dec 2 2003, 05:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (~JoY~ &#064; Dec 2 2003, 05:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> i tot it shd be the other way ard?

translation:

anyway, different people think differently </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
LOL, does this guy know English?? http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/blink.gif </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
oO
i&#39;m nt a guy. =x
lolx. and thx for the translations for those who can&#39;t read my english.. -.-||

SeGee
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:44 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (aphextwinjunkie @ Dec 2 2003, 06:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Maybe if you werent so blinded by your rock lee fevor you could look at things in an unbiased manner, but i guess thats too much to ask of you. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
ehm ok.. so what you are saying that shino has better history (which is none) thank Rock Lee? please explain why I am so blind and unbias. Open my eyes for me... I dont see why you could look down on characters that are regular and arent in bloodlines which would make them special and more talented according to U. Like Naruto. You would probably then mention kakashi, sasuke, Neji etc. Rock Lee can appearently kick some of those easilly even without bloodlines

Power PMV
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:45 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (~JoY~ @ Dec 2 2003, 05:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Power PMV &#064; Dec 2 2003, 05:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Darkflare &#064; Dec 2 2003, 05:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (~JoY~ &#064; Dec 2 2003, 05:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> i tot it shd be the other way ard?

translation:

LOL, does this guy know English?? http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/blink.gif </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
oO
i&#39;m nt a guy. =x
lolx. and thx for the translations for those who can&#39;t read my english.. -.-|| </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
just kidding, I can read it. It&#39;s just too funny to see a translation. http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

~JoY~
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:46 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Power PMV @ Dec 2 2003, 05:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (~JoY~ &#064; Dec 2 2003, 05:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Power PMV &#064; Dec 2 2003, 05:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Darkflare &#064; Dec 2 2003, 05:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (~JoY~ &#064; Dec 2 2003, 05:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> i tot it shd be the other way ard?

translation:

oO
i&#39;m nt a guy. =x
lolx. and thx for the translations for those who can&#39;t read my english.. -.-|| </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
just kidding, I can read it. It&#39;s just too funny to see a translation. http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
well.. it works well for me~
just in case some people still can&#39;t read my post.
haha ^^

aphextwinjunkie
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:46 AM
I never mentioned anything about Shino. I like Rock Lee, its just a see him as a metaphor for hard work being useless in the end.

SeGee
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:50 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>To me, anybody with interest in Rock Lee is celebrating the fact that the Japanese believe somebody must be born with talent to succeed in life</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

Take gai as an example. He has no bloodlines, meaning hes hard working and he is the person who tought lee about hard work. And Gai, acordinng to statistics, kicks Kakashi&#39;s talented ass. Keep in mind that probably most of the Jounins arent even in bloodlines.... Rock lee is just an example on that you can push yourself to hard. then again, he also met a hard opponent

jing
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Okay dude, we like rock lee for many reasons. dont base a character by 1 thing that they do. big mistake right there. u forgot to mention the Gai n Lee moments that everyone loves.

aphextwinjunkie
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:52 AM
I always thought that the only thing Gai ever beat Kakashi in was paper rock scissors matchs

Baka-chan
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:54 AM
i actually like lee because he works his ass off, takes criticizim very well and improves upon it. he also has a good personality (= and protects the ones he loves with his life. lee&#39;s a good kid. and he is a badass ninja http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Power PMV
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:54 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jing @ Dec 2 2003, 05:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Okay dude, we like rock lee for many reasons. dont base a character by 1 thing that they do. big mistake right there. u forgot to mention the Gai n Lee moments that everyone loves. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
So true:

*sunset*

Gai: Let me give you my warm message

Lee: Give it to me straight.

Gai: Lee

Lee: Sensei

*shining teeth* http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

SeGee
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:55 AM
ok, ignore my comments. Our comments have appearently persuated U

RaZzy
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:57 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (aphextwinjunkie @ Dec 2 2003, 05:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> One thing I could never understand is why people like Rock Lee so much. From my interpretation Rock Lee symbolizes a hard working average American. He is not somebody who is talented, exceptional or special in any way but his drive. His credo is; through hard work and determination, I can advance myself. By basically maiming Rock Lee to the point of inability to perform as a ninja, the people responsible for the manga/anime are saying that hard work and determination will only get you so far, you need to be born talented/elite. This makes much sense since Japanese are very elitist (based purely on personal experience, no stereotyping intended). To me, anybody with interest in Rock Lee is celebrating the fact that the Japanese believe somebody must be born with talent to succeed in life. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
i dont think you can have talent for taijustu
taijustu is only done by hard work
and since rock lee has talent for hard work, he trains in taijustu

SeGee
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:57 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Power PMV @ Dec 2 2003, 06:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jing &#064; Dec 2 2003, 05:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Okay dude, we like rock lee for many reasons. dont base a character by 1 thing that they do. big mistake right there. u forgot to mention the Gai n Lee moments that everyone loves. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
So true:

*sunset*

Gai: Let me give you my warm message

Lee: Give it to me straight.

Gai: Lee

Lee: Sensei

*shining teeth* http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/sad.gif http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/sad.gif kick ass http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/sad.gif http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/sad.gif

SeGee
Tue, 12-02-2003, 06:59 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RaZzy @ Dec 2 2003, 06:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (aphextwinjunkie &#064; Dec 2 2003, 05:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> One thing I could never understand is why people like Rock Lee so much. From my interpretation Rock Lee symbolizes a hard working average American. He is not somebody who is talented, exceptional or special in any way but his drive. His credo is; through hard work and determination, I can advance myself. By basically maiming Rock Lee to the point of inability to perform as a ninja, the people responsible for the manga/anime are saying that hard work and determination will only get you so far, you need to be born talented/elite. This makes much sense since Japanese are very elitist (based purely on personal experience, no stereotyping intended). To me, anybody with interest in Rock Lee is celebrating the fact that the Japanese believe somebody must be born with talent to succeed in life. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
i dont think you can have talent for taijustu
taijustu is only done by hard work
and since rock lee has talent for hard work, he trains in taijustu </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
well, and because thats the only skill he can train and focus deeply on

ZakuHan
Wed, 12-03-2003, 02:32 AM
I didn&#39;t know what to think of Lee before he fought in the tournament. I wasn&#39;t taking him seriously because of the comedic way they have him outfitted, and the way he acted and talked.

They revealed how hard he worked and how much his goals meant to him in his fight with Gaara.. That is when I really started to like him. Lee would have easily owned Gaara if not for that split second he grimaced during the Initial Lotus, and Gaara switched himself with a sand clone. He also would have won if Gaara hadn&#39;t been so cheapened and his pathetic little sand armor managed to stand up against the beating Lee gave him with FIVE gates open. Kankuro said that the sand armor was inferior to the sand shield because of lower defense and ebbing his strength since it&#39;s attached to his skin.. Yet through the whole fight after taking off those weights, Lee surpassed the shield. He gave the sand armor a beating that could have destroyed any armor, and the thin sand armor withstood it.. Just cheap in my opinion.

Lee will be back. http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/smile.gif

~Chris

Pokyman9
Wed, 12-03-2003, 02:47 AM
Rock lee isn&#39;t out of the game, he&#39;s gonna make a full recovery just like Bruce lee and kick some ass http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/smile.gif.

Krbadass
Wed, 12-03-2003, 03:01 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SeGee @ Dec 2 2003, 05:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>To me, anybody with interest in Rock Lee is celebrating the fact that the Japanese believe somebody must be born with talent to succeed in life</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

Take gai as an example. He has no bloodlines, meaning hes hard working and he is the person who tought lee about hard work. And Gai, acordinng to statistics, kicks Kakashi&#39;s talented ass. Keep in mind that probably most of the Jounins arent even in bloodlines.... Rock lee is just an example on that you can push yourself to hard. then again, he also met a hard opponent </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
Actually no, 49-50 is not kicking someones ass, thats barely winning, and personally i dont think he beat kakashi, ever. i think hes lying, or joking. It was probably rock paper scissors.

SeGee
Wed, 12-03-2003, 03:39 AM
hm I have never heard this paper rock sisors thing.. what episode was this? http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/blink.gif

nek
Wed, 12-03-2003, 04:50 AM
Naw...maybe you&#39;re just overanalyzing the situation. I mean I&#39;m sure with hard work and determination, you would be able to accomplish what you want and get you where you wanna go. So I guess it&#39;s just that Rock Lee is easy to relate to....a average person who works hard to get what he wants. http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/huh.gif

DB_Hunter
Wed, 12-03-2003, 04:50 AM
Personally I think Rock Lee will be back. As for the comparison with Gai, I don&#39;t recall it ever being said that Gai can&#39;t use Genjutsu or Ninjutsu. He just had to work hard like Lee has had too, that&#39;s all.

RaZzy
Wed, 12-03-2003, 04:56 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Krbadass @ Dec 3 2003, 02:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SeGee &#064; Dec 2 2003, 05:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>To me, anybody with interest in Rock Lee is celebrating the fact that the Japanese believe somebody must be born with talent to succeed in life</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

Take gai as an example. He has no bloodlines, meaning hes hard working and he is the person who tought lee about hard work. And Gai, acordinng to statistics, kicks Kakashi&#39;s talented ass. Keep in mind that probably most of the Jounins arent even in bloodlines.... Rock lee is just an example on that you can push yourself to hard. then again, he also met a hard opponent </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
Actually no, 49-50 is not kicking someones ass, thats barely winning, and personally i dont think he beat kakashi, ever. i think hes lying, or joking. It was probably rock paper scissors. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
NO&#33;
Gai ment how many women they both had&#33;
http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

SeGee
Wed, 12-03-2003, 05:15 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Krbadass @ Dec 3 2003, 03:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SeGee &#064; Dec 2 2003, 05:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>To me, anybody with interest in Rock Lee is celebrating the fact that the Japanese believe somebody must be born with talent to succeed in life</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

Actually no, 49-50 is not kicking someones ass, thats barely winning, and personally i dont think he beat kakashi, ever. i think hes lying, or joking. It was probably rock paper scissors. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
we havent see them both fight, EVER. Meaning that we can only speculate around facts. We havent seen Gai&#39;s talent. So I wouldnt draw that stow quite yet and not ally on the statistics given.

Karasu
Wed, 12-03-2003, 06:26 AM
Why dont whoever like whatever they want instead sounds much better than analyzing what rock lee is. Lee represents a group of ppl that might not be born with a perticular talent but have a talent for working hard in getting good at something they put their mind too. We saw that Hard work didnt get Lee past gaara and thats the way it should be. But lee can only become better and better but at the same time the ppl lee so desperatly wants to reach will also evolve and become better and better. So a talent for something+training will almost for sure beat someone with moderate talent for something+trainingx20.

TheAwesomeChow
Wed, 12-03-2003, 07:00 AM
The whole thing about bruce lee getting his back broken by some chump and coming back and defeating him is fictional. stupid hollywood stuff. However he did break his back before (forgot from what, something like working out too much) and he did defeat some &quot;master of martial arts&quot; in under 60 seconds. unfortunately they are two separate things that hollywood made some embellishments upon.

Rock Lee
Wed, 12-03-2003, 08:21 AM
Hey Insomniac he never claimed to have beaten kakashi at bo wan po, he just counts those in his total wins and loses. The gambling part unless you missed the whole meaning of that manga volume was to higher his likelyhood of winning by pushing the consequences way over what they should be hence his promise at the end to Lee. Hes still one win up on Kakashi. If he had not counted that loss he&#39;d be two wins over kakashi.

PoDy
Wed, 12-03-2003, 09:32 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (aphextwinjunkie &#064; Dec 2 2003, 05:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> One thing I could never understand is why people like Rock Lee so much. From my interpretation Rock Lee symbolizes a hard working average American. He is not somebody who is talented, exceptional or special in any way but his drive. His credo is; through hard work and determination, I can advance myself. By basically maiming Rock Lee to the point of inability to perform as a ninja, the people responsible for the manga/anime are saying that hard work and determination will only get you so far, you need to be born talented/elite. This makes much sense since Japanese are very elitist (based purely on personal experience, no stereotyping intended). To me, anybody with interest in Rock Lee is celebrating the fact that the Japanese believe somebody must be born with talent to succeed in life. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

When u dont know the whole story u cant say that u know stuff like this. No one has said that u can only succeed if ur born talanted exept Neji but he still has to prove this to us. We dont know whats gonna hapen yet so save this for later dude.

As far as rock lee, hes just cool and funny http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Black Knight
Wed, 12-03-2003, 10:02 AM
in response to the first post: we love rock for how far he got with hard work. not because of his injury.

boomorman
Wed, 12-03-2003, 10:06 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Rock lee isn&#39;t out of the game, he&#39;s gonna make a full recovery just like Bruce lee and kick some ass .
</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

bruce lee got his back broken. came back and beat the dude who broke his back in under 60 seconds right? perhaps lee will come back and own gaara?

stretch
Wed, 12-03-2003, 10:07 AM
@TheAwesomeChow: yea bruce lee broke his back while he was working out he was lifting weights and as for the master that he beat in under 60 seconds it actually only took him 8 seconds in case you wanted to know the exact time.

ok back on topic, i think that hard work will get u far but the thing is if there is somone with natural talents doing the same thing and they also train hard then the peson with out any natural talnets will not be able to surpass them, so hard work will get u far but there are just people out there that just can do it at a higher level naturally so with training its almost impossible to keep up with them, thats how i feel anywayz

Insomniac
Wed, 12-03-2003, 10:29 AM
if you&#39;re going by Naruto hardwork doesnt get you as far as you want to go

Lee did all that work and said that he would beat a genius and he lost to Neji several times and then to Gaara and now hes wounded bad - now tell me if hardwork overcame anything then why he hurt so badly and why didnt he beat Gaara

Lee is good but as far as the Naruto storyline goes the genius&#39;s or the people born with certain things are the strongest ones, Gai isnt like Lee by the way, he can use other jutsu&#39;s its only Lee that cant.

Even Naruto was born with an advantage of the Kyuubi so you cant say hes all about hardwork either

I wouldnt put too much into Lee&#39;s quotes because if you follow the story you&#39;ll realize that even though he went through all that he still failed, the moral is that hardwork gets you far but you cant sacrafice everything to achieve your goals

and those that said Bruce Lee is like Rock Lee its not completely true, Bruce wasnt only about hardwork and he had alot of talent. Also Bruce Lee is dead isnt he

Rock Lee
Wed, 12-03-2003, 10:47 AM
Yeah Bruce lee is dead, he and his son angered the anchient chinese who threatened to send demons after him and his son. Both died in very bizarre fashions.... Well as long as rock doesn&#39;t go teaching kung fu and Jeet Kun Do and anger the Hokage or whomever in the process im sure he&#39;ll do okay. Oh and GAI wtfpwned Kakashi, its pretty obious how, Gai is the Kakashi antithesis. Taijutsu beats the bejesus out of Sharingan due to kakashi being unable to keep up with Gai. As for the rock paper scissors they were trying to convey that both Rock and Gai were both Hot Blooded, and gai so much so that he kept track of menial things like game of bo wan po or whatever the japenese call paper rock scissors. Lastly you are all forgetting that Rock is a genious maybe not an obvious one but Gai and Kakashi both stated it as such. Sasuke is a genious and he lost to Lee i don&#39;t think the issue has to do with either sides of the scale. The metaphors used in the begining of this thread are poor because the reader probably hasn&#39;t read the manga and has a limited understand of writing because its pretty obvious that Lee will return. Hard work brings sucess but it does so slowly and sometimes at high costs.

As a side note its nice to see something besides the same old same old threads in repetition. Its actually interesting to read this thread.

PuppetMaster Kankuro
Wed, 12-03-2003, 11:03 AM
If you broke your back you would never be able to walk again, right? http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/dry.gif I thought Bruce Lee just got a strained disc in his back and as a result was confined to bed for like a month...

Takuma
Wed, 12-03-2003, 12:24 PM
One of the reason i love him is because he uses only taijutsu plus because he is the Beautiful Green Beast. I also think that since he lost to gara is just gonna show that hard work doesnt finish and he will probally become more powerful when he comes back from hard hospital training. I mean 199 onehanded pushups he is gonna have a lethal (right or left cant remember wich) fist.

Rothman
Wed, 12-03-2003, 12:32 PM
ok..back to the Rock Lee discussion. I say Rock Lee should be respected for his hardwork. His downfall, I think is just BAD LUCK. If during the preliminary matches Rock Lee was to fight against anyone except Garaa...Rock Lee will OWN ASS thanx gg&#33;&#33;&#33;

PS. Rock Lee does have talent ..or else he wouldn&#39;t have been able to open the GATES&#33;&#33;

Insomniac
Wed, 12-03-2003, 01:17 PM
Gai didnt win that rock paper scissors, he claimed the win because he did the extra run after he lost remember?
Gai only says that he beats Kakashi because he imposes those extra rules on himself and claims the win afterwards, not because he actually won lol
i dont see how people miss that when he clearly states it along the lines of &#39;this extra self imposed rule is the key to victory even after defeat&#39; or some crap like that.

its like someone losing to Jet Le then going off and doing 2000 pushups and then saying that they won the battle

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Taijutsu beats the bejesus out of Sharingan due to kakashi being unable to keep up with Gai. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> never happened? i think you&#39;re meaning Lee when he opens the gates but yeah he could follow him when he activated his sharigan

as for Taijutsu owning the sharigan its not completely true, sharigan can read Taijutsu like any other Jutsu, its the sharigan users body that has to keep up and we dont know Kakashi&#39;s speed so we cant make that call

btw i know we&#39;ve both read the manga so i&#39;ve kept this all current to the anime and made no spoils although i could make some good points http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

TheAwesomeChow
Wed, 12-03-2003, 01:59 PM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (aphextwinjunkie @ Dec 2 2003, 05:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> One thing I could never understand is why people like Rock Lee so much. From my interpretation Rock Lee symbolizes a hard working average American. He is not somebody who is talented, exceptional or special in any way but his drive. His credo is; through hard work and determination, I can advance myself. By basically maiming Rock Lee to the point of inability to perform as a ninja, the people responsible for the manga/anime are saying that hard work and determination will only get you so far, you need to be born talented/elite. This makes much sense since Japanese are very elitist (based purely on personal experience, no stereotyping intended). To me, anybody with interest in Rock Lee is celebrating the fact that the Japanese believe somebody must be born with talent to succeed in life. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
heh...correct me if i&#39;m wrong isn&#39;t basing things on personal experience, especially when generalizing a whole group of people, stereotyping. After all, your own personal view is pretty narrow when it comes to the broad spectrum of this world. But you do bring up a good point about what rock represents and that the story line has indeed crushed what he is, but let&#39;s not forget that lee is still alive and not out of the anime.

Xeo
Thu, 12-04-2003, 02:05 AM
Yup, it&#39;s definitely true that Rock has talent which came from hard work. Even Kakashi noted that opening so many gates at once isn&#39;t something that &quot;only&quot; hard work can accomplish.
But along the subject of hard work and one of the main themes of Rock Lee. It&#39;s true that hard work can take us to our potential (and we never know how high that potential is), but there are many factors that weight into how far we go. Hard work will take us so far, talent (much of which I find is confidence) and luck will do the rest.
Rock has the talent and work ethic to acheive his goal, but the person he ran into... Gaara had more talent and was &quot;worked&quot; hard in the ninja ways as well. If Rock had fought anyone else, he would be laughing his way into the 3rd exam. Now, his failure, brings up an IMPORTANT part of life. We may be great, but sometimes things just DON&#39;T work out. Now, in these situations, what are we going to do? Sit and accept it&#39;s done, we&#39;re out, there&#39;s nothing we can do? Or keep reinventing ourselves and working hard to accomplish our new goals.

It&#39;s Rock&#39;s resilience that stands out the most. He&#39;s down, but by the way he&#39;s keeps working, he&#39;ll surprise us all like Naruto http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif While he might be a bit on the stubborn side, it&#39;s good to see someone like that. For a real life example, look no further than Christopher Reeves.

SDShamshel
Thu, 12-04-2003, 02:24 AM
The original poster does not seem to get the point of Rock Lee at all.

It&#39;s not &quot;hard work will get you so far.&quot;

The theme of Rock Lee is &quot;if you reach a set back, you just have to work harder.&quot;

Rock Lee works harder than any other Gennin right now, but he still suffered a terrible injury by Gaara. Is this saying &quot;this is all Rock Lee will ever get?&quot; No, it&#39;s saying that this is just another obstacle Rock Lee has to clear with the power of hard work.

If Rock Lee ended up as a head and a torso, he&#39;d still probably be a great ninja because he can overcome his limitations.

uzuMaki_fox9
Thu, 12-04-2003, 05:04 AM
Sory i havn&#39;t had the time to read all replies so I may be repeating some stuff. Firstly Rock Lee does have talent

(SPOILER SPOILERkakashi pointed it out as he opened the 5th gate)

Secondly the fact Rock Lee is inable to be a ninja presently is not due to the fact that the Japanese look down on hardwork and determinantion. Being a race that has succeeded through the hard work of its people (after the tragic hiroshima bomb), I find that actually Rock Lee is a symbol of how hard work can always prosper against the toughest challenges. I think that we have not seen the last of this special character and he will once agian prove everyone wrong.

Insomniac
Thu, 12-04-2003, 05:58 AM
yeah its not about hard work will get you anywhere, Lee wasnt all hard work either, he had the ability to remove the 5 gates and that was nothing to do with hard work.

i wouldnt read too much into it, yes he was good but most people like him because of how he fought against all odds it doesnt really matter about the outcome.
the journey is more important then the beginning or the end http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/wink.gif
also about Lee whincing when he was executing the move, there was no way he could have stopped that seeing as it was a side effect of the move, he came close but there wasnt a way he could win against Gaara unfortunatly http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/sad.gif
the moral is to try no matter what, even if you dont believe you can do it or even if you cant do it

RamenNoodles
Thu, 12-04-2003, 06:04 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>One thing I could never understand is why people like Rock Lee so much. From my interpretation Rock Lee symbolizes a hard working average American. He is not somebody who is talented, exceptional or special in any way but his drive. His credo is; through hard work and determination, I can advance myself. By basically maiming Rock Lee to the point of inability to perform as a ninja, the people responsible for the manga/anime are saying that hard work and determination will only get you so far, you need to be born talented/elite. This makes much sense since Japanese are very elitist (based purely on personal experience, no stereotyping intended). To me, anybody with interest in Rock Lee is celebrating the fact that the Japanese believe somebody must be born with talent to succeed in life. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

I do disagree that this is indeed what Rock Lee represents. This is purely based upon my belief that the creators wouldn&#39;t stoop so low to drag some kind of stupid international insult into what is an excellent anime. I do however, believe that AphexTwinJunkie has a point that it is possible that Rock Lee could be a negative representation of America and just because you don&#39;t believe it to mean that however doesn&#39;t mean that it isn&#39;t a possibility.

A77ALiSTiC
Thu, 12-04-2003, 06:19 AM
the reason why i think rock lee is so popular, other than because his personality is cool, and would actually sacrifice his life to defend someone that as far as i know, could be just a crush, is mainly because he was able to do so much with hard work and determination. he started out with no talent at all.. but the hard work and determination got him this new talent that everyone must be afraid of now, being able to open the five gates... he is somewhat like naruto... nothin much was expected of him.. everyone thought that he would become a failure.. but he proved everyone wrong.
i guess what the writer is trying to deliver to us is that talent or no talent, to be able to get to ur goal or even be close to achieving it, u must be determined and hard working. naruto is an example of the talent and hard work (kyuubi being his talent) and rock lee is an example of hard work with no talent.
but hey, thats my opinion

Rothman
Thu, 12-04-2003, 06:37 AM
just to wrap things up ROCK LEE = OWNZ ASS

for those who don&#39;t like Rock Lee, u guys are just sadistic slackers who doesn&#39;t believe in hard work....i mean who is going to employ u guys???

PS nuthin too personal

kyuubi
Thu, 12-04-2003, 08:09 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Karasu @ Dec 3 2003, 05:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Why dont whoever like whatever they want instead sounds much better than analyzing what rock lee is. Lee represents a group of ppl that might not be born with a perticular talent but have a talent for working hard in getting good at something they put their mind too. We saw that Hard work didnt get Lee past gaara and thats the way it should be. But lee can only become better and better but at the same time the ppl lee so desperatly wants to reach will also evolve and become better and better. So a talent for something+training will almost for sure beat someone with moderate talent for something+trainingx20. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
I kinda agree with what you are saying, but this whole thing about Hardwork and how it cant get you past someone who has talent and works hard is something I definately dont agree with. I look at Rock Lee and I see a person who works hard toward something he believes in. He achieved the goal he was after, all though he doesnt realize it. He definately surpassed Neji. Neji was fast when fighting with Naruto, but he was not hardly as fast as Rock Lee when he opened the life gates. The way I see it, the message is though you work hard, there is always someone better, so you must keep working to become stronger and stronger. Dont stop just because you reach a level you feel comfortable at. Once you achieve it, surpass it. And I hope that Lee realizes this and works hard to surpass Gaara, and anyone else who appears that is stronger than Gaara. Well...I hope that makes sense to somebody here... http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/mf_w00t1.gif http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/mf_w00t1.gif http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/mf_w00t1.gif &lt;----I just love that smiley&#33;&#33;&#33; http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/mf_w00t1.gif

SirCharlesIII
Thu, 12-04-2003, 10:31 AM
well, i like him cause....he&#39;s awesome? no, really, he&#39;s the most unique character, i feel, he&#39;s very naive, and thus endearing, and his earnest demeanor is like tha of a young child, he&#39;s easy to love as a result. also, he&#39;s funny as hell http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Beautiful Green Beast
Thu, 12-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Yeah,Lee sure owns&#33; And he is one of the most important characters in the whole anime (and manga)&#33;

SeGee
Thu, 12-04-2003, 12:24 PM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SeGee @ Dec 3 2003, 03:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> hm I have never heard this paper rock sisors thing.. what episode was this? http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/blink.gif </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
still no ansswer http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/wink.gif

supereyebrowplatonic
Thu, 12-04-2003, 01:56 PM
dude, it has nothing to do with his hardwork, the orignal rock lee fans, as in when he first came out with his love for sakura, saw his awsomeness and said

&quot; that guy ownz&quot;

thank you

his personality &quot;rocks&quot;, he does thunbs up which i think is just too cool and only works in anime, and his teeth shine. that was awsome. and after he fought sasuke was he known to be a badass

so there

rock lee is too cool