PDA

View Full Version : name some oldskool rpg's

KDM
Tue, 12-02-2003, 02:43 AM
Breath of fire 3.
It's your basic sprite styled RPG. You get to transform into different dragon types and kick ass. It was also the first RPG I played that allowed you to use your weapons outside of battle. 9/10

Vash105
Tue, 12-02-2003, 03:01 AM
http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif All Star Mario RPG *SNES yEaH I hope it comes back on GBA* good game !

Power PMV
Tue, 12-02-2003, 03:52 AM
All the Final Fantasies (1-3 for NES 4-6 for SNES), Chrono Trigger (SNES), Tales of Phantasia (I think this is the one for SNES) and Breath of Fire (1-3 SNES).

I would rank them like this:
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy IV
Tales of Phantasia
Breath of Fire III
Final Fantasy V
and then the 3 NES ones.

I may give a review for each later if I have time. You can probably find some online, though.

Xollence
Tue, 12-02-2003, 04:48 AM
FF series, also check out Landgrisser series for Genesis.

Assassin
Tue, 12-02-2003, 08:15 AM
well my exams finish in about 2 weeks, and i plan on sitting on my ass playing games untill skool starts again.

so if u guys can plz gimme the names of some good rpgs for snes....i plan on *trying* to finish ff6/3 which i started like 4 years ago. i couldn't get past that stupid coral eating treasure chest http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/dry.gif

anyway, post a description of the rpg as well, and any other intresting things, and give a rating outta 10.

Aclypze
Tue, 12-02-2003, 10:05 AM
chrono trigger-a fun game~~9/10

secret of mana-another fun game8/10

Shikai
Tue, 12-02-2003, 11:42 AM
Hmz.. how about Final Fantasy 7.. Ok it doesn't sound old.. But that is what I played during my skool time... Or Breath of Fire,the early games..

Tenshi28
Tue, 12-02-2003, 12:03 PM
River City Ransom! NES Style!

Geist
Tue, 12-02-2003, 12:06 PM
Illusion of Time: I played this ages ago and if I recall correctly it's about a boy who's searching for his lost father. You don't have a party and you can change into 2 (?) other fighters later. It was my first SNES Rpg. 9/10

boomorman
Thu, 12-11-2003, 03:15 AM
If you plan to go the route of emu and roms get a sega one too!!

Snes

lufia 1: 7.5/10 Score would be better, but the battle system is like the older ff’s

lufia 2: 9.5/10 Better battle system then the first. Good plot

Both are very cool games. They planned to make a second one from the start so the first is the second one in an odd sorta way. The 99 floor cave that constantly changes can keep you going for days alone.

final fantasy 3 8/10 imo the first good ff.

Secret of mana 9/10 Fun game, for it’s time very unique. Good battle ai system too.

Super Mario rpg 8/10 One of the last games they made for the snes so they pushed the snes for all the graphics it could handle. Fun game, and one of the best looking snes games.

Chrono trigger: 8/10 Fun good steady plot, a few side quests/ mini games too.

Sega

Phantasy Star 4!!!! 12/10 Great rpg! Anime influenced still panned cut scenes . Great plot …a little sad tho. Lots of weapons, skills, techs, and vehicles… you also travel to different planets. You can combine techs, and skills with other characters for better attacks. A lot to this game.

Phantasy star 3 9/10 Fun a bit like 4, but not as good still very much worth playing.

Phantasy star 2 6.5/10 Fun, but it doesn’t stand the test of time as well as the others.

Shining Force 1 8/10 Fun, Good strategy rpg. Kinda easy tho.

Shining Force 2 7/10 Not quite as good as the first one. a few of the characters are to strong, so if you like a challenge you end up picking the weak characters for your party.

Shining in the Darkness: 8/10 a dungeon rpg, fun, but not that big. If you sat down and really tried you could beat it in a day.

Dungeons & Dragons rise of the eternal sun. 5.5/10 Good enough to mention, but there are a few silly glitch type things in the game. When in caves or dungeons creatures won’t attack if they are 4 spaces away, but you can still do distance attacks on them i.e magic or throwing weapons. So you can kill a red fire dragon at lvl 1 by doing this.

KakashiSensei
Thu, 12-11-2003, 03:19 AM
I have all the SNES and GENESIS games but no emulator http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/sad.gif can someone help me out??

shadowmantis
Thu, 12-11-2003, 03:37 AM
http://www.zophar.net/ ('http://www.zophar.net/')

zophars domain had a buncha emulators back in the day. try it.
if not, there's always vimm ('http://www.vimm.net')

Baka-chan
Thu, 12-11-2003, 04:40 AM
man, i played Legend of the Dragoon day in and day out a few years ago. not the best graphics, battles get a little boring, but its one of those games you still like to play because you wanna know whats gonna happen. and i love those kinda games http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Terranigma is a badass SNES rpg, just started playing it. and a good place for roms and emu's is Cherry ROMS ('http://www.cherryroms.com')

Legendary Nin
Thu, 12-11-2003, 05:23 AM
Tales of Phantasia,best RPG EVER FOR SNES,and one of the BEST OF ALL TIME!!!

so DOWNLOAD TALES OF PHANTASIA RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully you'll get the emphasis.

Jman
Thu, 12-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Chrono Trigger from back in the day when SNES was on top.

Magus owns!

cxxxxxxx{===============================>

[matrim]
Thu, 12-11-2003, 01:27 PM
Besides from the final fantasy games the breath of fire serie is quite good.

also secret of mana is a 9'er aswell as Terranigma (has another name but can never remember)

I have always been into RPG's so I think I know most that will be mentioned in here

Drunken_Lord
Fri, 12-12-2003, 02:09 AM
Alright, I gotta throw in my 2 cents for a game that is often overlooked. Illusion of Gaia. This game is sweet. It combines elements of story telling, action RPG, and puzzle solving in such a way that there is never a dull moment. Find a complete review, w/ screen shots, here ('http://www.netjak.com/review.php/456').

joker-kun
Sat, 12-13-2003, 06:26 AM
mario and the 7 stars

CreamOfNature
Sat, 12-13-2003, 07:21 AM
I CAN NOt BELIEVE NO ONE MENTIONED THE LUNER GAMES!

I know there not for snes there for playstation. Im sry. BUT people these are great games! Lunar Silver Star Story And luner 2 Eternal Blue complete. It all in sprites And is filled with Animne FMV sequenes that are just beutiful. Play them!

ANd i know Super Metriod isnt really an RPg but youll have just as much fun with it as you would an rpg.

Drunken_Lord
Sun, 12-14-2003, 11:50 AM
CreamOfNature, yea, those games were sweet. I also highly recomend them.

BTW, does anyone know if they are better on the playstation or the Sega CD?

Assassin
Mon, 12-15-2003, 02:56 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Legendary Nin @ Dec 11 2003, 04:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Tales of Phantasia,best RPG EVER FOR SNES,and one of the BEST OF ALL TIME&#33;&#33;&#33;

so DOWNLOAD TALES OF PHANTASIA RIGHT NOW&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Hopefully you&#39;ll get the emphasis. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
i was playing tales of phantasia already actually (havent played since summer though).....i believe i was at the point where midgard and alvanista are on the verge of war. its a good game, but i dont like how only the one guy can use the spirits. o well, its still a good game

Rock Lee
Mon, 12-15-2003, 04:30 AM
Well you could always play the first rpg ever made on Famicon (nintendo) Dragon Warrior 1. I still pick it up and play it through every year or so fun game.

Uzumaki Naruto
Mon, 12-15-2003, 04:45 AM
Zelda the one for the SNES that one was kik ass ooo and play the breath of fire games they kik ass to ooooooo and XENOGEARS one of the best RPG game there is

Jman
Tue, 12-16-2003, 12:43 PM
Mother of All Cliches, the. In every single RPG, without exception, you are trying to save the world.
(For some reason i still enjoy a good rpg now and then)

CreamOfNature
Tue, 12-16-2003, 01:44 PM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>CreamOfNature, yea, those games were sweet. I also highly recomend them.

BTW, does anyone know if they are better on the playstation or the Sega CD? </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

They were better for the playstation Drunken_Lord. The sega cd couldnt contain the complete story or some thing. And the Fmv&#39;s Were on a tiny 2&quot; 2&quot; window with a black screen as background.

Since were all basically naming our favorite rpgs i wanted to ask if anyone played and loved XENOSAGA as much a me?

Baka-chan
Sat, 12-20-2003, 04:56 AM
xenosaga was the shit, i really enjoyed the gameplay and it had badass cutscenes

ninetails
Sat, 12-20-2003, 07:28 AM
You guys are missing 1 more SNES game. ZELDA&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; THAT WAS THE BEST GAME EVER&#33; Also, there was Secret of Mana, that was a good game, but if you&#39;re using an emulator, try getting Seiken Densetsu 3, or the second Secret of Mana. That is the stuff. FF 2 and 3 were really good too.

boomorman
Sat, 12-20-2003, 01:09 PM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I CAN NOt BELIEVE NO ONE MENTIONED THE LUNER GAMES&#33; </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

There for the sega cd and psx I thought this was like nes sega and snes.

I had/have a sega cd. The first lunar was pretty good. The 2nd rocked. perhaps the biggest game of it&#39;s time. Vay however would be the best rpg for the sega cd. other rpgs.... Shining force cd was odd... the worst of the shining forces without a doubt. I still played and beat it, but it wasn&#39;t as good as the other 2. Popful mail hehe... panty shot when she died.... I think I played that rpg just for panty shot. really those are about the only games worth playing on the sega cd.

For the psx I played lunar silver star ocean very fun lots to do in it.

EnergyCallingMe
Mon, 12-22-2003, 05:12 AM
what about that one game that had the phrase &quot;all ur base are belong to us&quot; suprised no one said that one

EnergyCallingMe
Mon, 12-22-2003, 06:41 AM
really i always though it was

boomorman
Mon, 12-22-2003, 08:57 AM
thats not an rpg tho.