PDA

View Full Version : Battle Royale

Dank
Tue, 12-02-2003, 02:08 AM
seen the movie, liked it http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/smile.gif
i might just buy the manga if it's as good as you say http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

Xollence
Tue, 12-02-2003, 04:58 AM
Do you know if there are any online?

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 12-02-2003, 05:08 AM
I haven't bought the BR graphic novels...yet...

I bought the Ring one and finished it in like 3 hours (and it cost nearly twice the amount two 1200-page stephen king books would have cost me) so I'm a bit hesitant to buy any more...very costly for a student like me...

I've read the proper book of BR though and that was fucking brilliant (even better than the film).

Though the Ring manga was short, it was well cool so I'll probably try to get the BR ones off ebay or something...

snoogins
Tue, 12-02-2003, 08:05 AM
Ok Battle Royale everybody knows this big Japanese cult movie school kids kill each other very bloody. Well this is the manga and if you liked the movie you will love this.

I have only seen 3 volumes available. The story is basically this n the not to distant future in Japan there is a government program basically called "The Program". This is broadcast on TV and is a constant ratings winner. Every year one class from a list of fifty "wins" the lottery to be choosen. Then the class get taken to the area the Program will take place. Past programs have been abandoned prisions or a military compound. This year is is a secluded island surrounded by water. They wake up to find they are in a living nightmare as they must kill each other and only 1 can leave alive.

Ok thats the basic stuff out of the way. The manga like the movie focus mainly on Shuuya Nanahara. A pretty boy that likes to rebel this is most symbolic in his guitar, this down to rock and roll being banned.

This is where the manga comes into it's own unlike the movie they manga focus' more on the other classmates giving them more of a background story and more depth. Another point is the sheer graphic detail in this. This is definetly not for the faint hearted (or weak stomachs), body parts a blown of with visceral effects and there are scenes of sexual assault. The side story in volume 3 "Fallen Angel" about Mitsuko Souma I found very hard to read with many of the themes it explores.

I could be here all day and this is only 3 volumes i dont want to spoil it any more but i just can't recommended this highly enough

Black Knight
Tue, 12-02-2003, 10:00 AM
is there an official translated version out there or do we have to rely on fan translations?

maxthelostboy
Tue, 12-02-2003, 01:26 PM
Great manga! Love it! I like the movies too!

snoogins
Wed, 12-03-2003, 09:33 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Black Knight @ Dec 2 2003, 10:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> is there an official translated version out there or do we have to rely on fan translations? </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
No there is an offical translation. It is done by Tokyopop

Tokyopop Homepage ('http://www.tokyopop.com')

pandaexpress79
Thu, 12-04-2003, 05:51 AM
i like battle royale its good but i just think the hype was to built up around it...
like my friend kept saying its all bloody and its really groosome its like all kickass and he made sound so kickass i went and bought it, and i liked it it was bloodly and it kickedass but it wasn&#39;t as good as all the hype he built around it was and alot of people tend to do that which pisses me off the movie was kinda lame though instead of a knife lets give him a pot lid yeah thats a great change and i think some characters were missing to ugh also i think the guy from MXC (dubb name vic ramano) was the &quot;teacher guy&quot; host in charge of the &quot;program&quot; it proably wasn&#39;t him but they look similar

SirCharlesIII
Thu, 12-04-2003, 09:50 AM
its generally just kinda bizarre...

lol, but did you guys catch it in kill bill, when the girl from the film version is the insane bloodthirsty body-guard of lucy lui&#39;s character? it was the coolest moment when they showed her first, a brilliant homage.

Dank
Sat, 12-13-2003, 06:19 AM
I knew i had seen her before&#33; just couldn&#39;t place her http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Neo32
Sun, 12-21-2003, 05:59 AM
um... the tokyopop version seems a little unfinished? damn... anyone know if the manga is out in asia? s

Tachikoma
Fri, 02-20-2004, 07:22 AM
Is there anywhere you can download this from?

Rock Lee
Sat, 02-21-2004, 03:11 AM
Battle Royal was bloody and it definatly had its moment, but the down right disturbing award has to either go to Ichi the killer, or &quot;Hen&quot;. There both borderline snuff films in nature and they just fucked up. I&#39;m not generally squimish however someone hanging from hooks while a man whos mouth is kept together with closepins pours boiling oil on him and drives senbon through his mouth and tounge, all while the camera is watch is just plain fucked. I saw those movies because i heard they were wierd but i was expect just cheesy effects. I don&#39;t wanna recall Hen at all....

Toruxxx
Sat, 02-21-2004, 04:07 AM
lol i got ichi the killer but i aint seen hen i will try and get it to watch lol but ichi the killer was a gr8 movie. BR2 is good aswell but i think BR is better.

Swallow Your Soul
Sat, 02-21-2004, 12:20 PM
The movie is based on the novel, and the manga sounds like it is based on both the movie and the novel from the description in the first post...

I really want to get the manga books but manga is so fucking expensive its untrue...each part is like £6 each - the novel only cost me like £7 + P&amp;P&#33; I want the hellsing manga too but I might wait until more volumes are available then buy a load at once - amazon tried to charge me 50% of the cost of the book in P&amp;P&#33;

Might have to check suprnova - that seems to have plenty of manga to BT.

Xollence
Sat, 02-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Was the movie made first or the manga?

Toruxxx
Sat, 02-21-2004, 01:47 PM
i think the movie was coz i saw an interview with the director of it and he said nothing about copying it from a manga so the movie was out 1st i thinkz