PDA

View Full Version : Gaming mouses

Archangel
Mon, 12-03-2012, 09:14 AM
My mouse has been acting kind of gay lately, anyone know any decent and affordable gaming mouses?

Don't need many buttons, i only play LoL these days anyway.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-03-2012, 09:25 AM
I've been meaning to bring up a topic like this in General Discussion with polls and shit, but never got motivated enough..

Razer lists 3 different grips and some recommended mice for each of them:

Palm Grip (http://www.razerzone.com/mouseguide/ergonomic)
Claw Grip (http://www.razerzone.com/mouseguide/ergonomic/clawgrip)
Fingertip Grip (http://www.razerzone.com/mouseguide/ergonomic/fingertipgrip)

Grips compared (http://www.razerzone.com/mouseguide/ergonomic/advantage)

I use the fingertip grip (I wrongly called it the Claw Grip, for those who remember our IRC discussions).

Xelbair
Mon, 12-03-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm using RAT 7(fingertip grip) - pretty cool but pricey mouse - great plus is that you can adjust it to fit your hand perfectly(nearly perfectly). I would recommend Logitech G5 or G500 Ark - they feel great and shouldn't be that pricey. There is MX version of that mouse with the same shape - but it has lower DPI... but it is way cheaper.

Animeniax
Mon, 12-03-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm using the Logitech G500 and would recommend it, except it's wired and at $60 I wouldn't call it cheap.

Ryllharu
Mon, 12-03-2012, 03:33 PM
If it is an option for you, absolutely test mice in the store. You can't tell from pictures what will fit your hand the best and feel the most comfortable.

I use a Razer Mamba I got on sale at Best Buy. I've very happy with it. Aside from the now rare old laser Logitech beasts, there are few manufacturers that make mice with a really nice, high curve for palm grip users.

Separate from the ergonomics (the main reason), the variable, on-the-fly dpi adjustment was a large part of the reason I got it. I have it set quite high for regular computer use, and drop it a notch or two for games.

The only problem I have with it is the thumbgrip drifts toward the front of the mouse, long term use wore the glue down. I could clean it and reapply some kind of rubber cement, but I'm too lazy.

Archangel
Mon, 12-03-2012, 04:50 PM
I found this one after looking a bit

http://www.amazon.com/Raptor-815865012637-Raptor-Gaming-LM2/dp/B004E2G2FM

I can buy it locally and the specs sound nice. Then again i cheaped out on this one as well and that didn't turn out so well...

Killa-Eyez
Mon, 12-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Has anyone got any experience with the fairly new Razer Ouroboros (http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-ouroboros)? Looks like the design has been ripped off a little from the Mad Catz R.A.T. mouses. Specs are impressive.

Archangel
Mon, 12-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Looks like something out of Star Trek

Animeniax
Mon, 12-03-2012, 10:05 PM
I found this one after looking a bit

http://www.amazon.com/Raptor-815865012637-Raptor-Gaming-LM2/dp/B004E2G2FM

I can buy it locally and the specs sound nice. Then again i cheaped out on this one as well and that didn't turn out so well...

Not liking the reviews on this mouse. Way too many poor ratings. It has some better reviews on other sites, but something tells me you'll be back here hating on this mouse shortly.

Has anyone got any experience with the fairly new Razer Ouroboros (http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-ouroboros)? Looks like the design has been ripped off a little from the Mad Catz R.A.T. mouses. Specs are impressive.

Their site says it releases in Q1 2013.

Killa-Eyez
Mon, 12-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Their site says it releases in Q1 2013.

It says it ships in Q1 2013. I think it's because they're out of stock or have been cancelled for revisions due to issues with it. It seems there were a few.

Animeniax
Mon, 12-03-2012, 11:28 PM
It says it ships in Q1 2013. I think it's because they're out of stock or have been cancelled for revisions due to issues with it. It seems there were a few.

Ahh my bad, you're right. Check this for some reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Ouroboros-Ambidextrous-Gaming-RZ01-00770100-R3U1/product-reviews/B008U5ZM7I/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Though at $129 that's pretty steep for a mouse.

Killa-Eyez
Tue, 12-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Ahh my bad, you're right. Check this for some reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Ouroboros-Ambidextrous-Gaming-RZ01-00770100-R3U1/product-reviews/B008U5ZM7I/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Though at $129 that's pretty steep for a mouse.

It's the only reason I still haven't bought it. I'm waiting untill prices drop. Maybe a couple issues will be resolved by then also. Read that it had some trouble with scrolling and wireless connectivity. I'd use it wired anyway but if I spent money on it, it better be working, ya know?

Animeniax
Tue, 12-04-2012, 12:47 AM
It's the only reason I still haven't bought it. I'm waiting untill prices drop. Maybe a couple issues will be resolved by then also. Read that it had some trouble with scrolling and wireless connectivity. It'd use it wired anyway but if I spent money on it, it better be working, ya know?

I can't imagine any mouse having features making it worth anywhere near that price. Overall reviews for Razer mice have always been iffy, but that could be the discerning nature of the people who would buy a high-end gaming mouse.

Xelbair
Tue, 12-04-2012, 04:31 AM
seems nice - it really looks like RAT made by razer, but specs are sky high. It has few problems - for example you need to REGISTER it online before it even works. and that's retarded.

Kraco
Tue, 12-04-2012, 04:36 AM
seems nice - it really looks like RAT made by razer, but specs are sky high. It has few problems - for example you need to REGISTER it online before it even works. and that's retarded.

And I thought Logitech made good hardware (although even that isn't true anymore) but lousy software. Who knows why anybody would want to break that record by making even worse software.

Archangel
Tue, 12-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Right now i'm thinking either the g400 or g500, i'll try to get some hands on experience tomorrow and then i'll choose.

Kraco
Tue, 12-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Right now i'm thinking either the g400 or g500, i'll try to get some hands on experience tomorrow and then i'll choose.

G400 is almost the same as my MX518 and I can tell it's an excellent basic gaming mouse. The major difference seems to be doubled dpi. If my MX518 ceased to work right now, I might be tempted to get G400.

I have to note, though, that I haven't installed Logitech's software at all, and thus one of the extra buttons doesn't work for me. The two thumb buttons work naturally with generic Windows drivers (both in Windows and games supporting extra buttons). The dpi buttons are hardware controlled, so they work as well. My experience from years past is that Logitech is only capable of producing bloatware, which is why I never installed it. The hardware is good, though.

Janice
Wed, 12-05-2012, 01:33 AM
I just replaced my mx518 with the G500. Liking it so far but i'm not completely used to it yet. I used the mx518 for a looong time so it's gonna take a while I think.

Animeniax
Wed, 12-05-2012, 02:33 AM
I just replaced my mx518 with the G500. Liking it so far but i'm not completely used to it yet. I used the mx518 for a looong time so it's gonna take a while I think.

I made the same move not long ago. I don't see that much difference between the two except the G500 is a lot more responsive and jumpy. Did you install the weights to improve the feel of the mouse?

Penner
Wed, 12-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Replaced my trusty old mx518 with a G400 a year ago, feels damn near identical except my 518 had a glossy surface, while the g400 is more of a textured "smooth" kind of surface (it's by no means a "rough" texture, its very slight).

Loved the shape/feel of the mx518 so i just continued with the updated version :P

Janice
Sat, 12-08-2012, 04:35 PM
I made the same move not long ago. I don't see that much difference between the two except the G500 is a lot more responsive and jumpy. Did you install the weights to improve the feel of the mouse?
I only added one of the small weights. Moved the dpi down to 500 and things feel much better.

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 01-01-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm half burried in failed logitech mice and I think I've about had it with the company. The mice are ideally designed for me but lack severely in construction. Any recommendations of which companies tend to produce well built and durable mice?

Animeniax
Tue, 01-01-2013, 11:47 PM
What are you doing with your mice to cause such high failure rates? I haven't had any failures with any of the Logitech mice I've used. My MX518 had some small issue with the left click getting stuck because I banged the mouse on the table in frustration so many times, but it still works ok.

Kraco
Wed, 01-02-2013, 02:28 AM
That's indeed strange. I have ever had three Logitech mice. The first I bought in mid 90's, a fancy (yes, back then) three buttoned one. It was replaced ages later, when the optical mice started to become the mainstream, with Dual Optical. I used it for great many years as well, until I got my current mouse, Mx518. Three Logitechs to span 15 years. I don't know how much more durable one can realistically want a mouse to be.

Uchiha Barles
Wed, 01-02-2013, 04:42 AM
What are you doing with your mice to cause such high failure rates?

I wish I knew, then I could stop doing it. Right now, the answer seems to be "using the mouse" which is why I'm considering the switch. I used to slam my mice down when I started doing arenas in WoW, but I'm not even considering those. Right now it's my g500 that's failing with an alternately unresponsive/hyper responsive left click in less than a year of use. Before that, a g700 had 3 of the 4 thumb buttons break off and fall out of the side of the mouse. Before that, it was a slew of mx518s, most of which had the clicking issues on the left and/or right mouse buttons. I did have 2 mx518s that lasted awhile with no problems, but those I either slammed to hell or put through a monitor.

Animeniax
Wed, 01-02-2013, 11:11 AM
I wish I knew, then I could stop doing it. Right now, the answer seems to be "using the mouse" which is why I'm considering the switch. I used to slam my mice down when I started doing arenas in WoW, but I'm not even considering those. Right now it's my g500 that's failing with an alternately unresponsive/hyper responsive left click in less than a year of use. Before that, a g700 had 3 of the 4 thumb buttons break off and fall out of the side of the mouse. Before that, it was a slew of mx518s, most of which had the clicking issues on the left and/or right mouse buttons. I did have 2 mx518s that lasted awhile with no problems, but those I either slammed to hell or put through a monitor.Haha I thought it was just me who was dumb enough to destroy his own peripherals to avenge in-game defeats. I've ruined a couple keyboards in the same manner.

I guess gaming a lot will shorten the life of the mouse. I always thought game designers made you rapidly press a button in-game so you would wear out your controller/mouse/kb faster.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Once I had a wireless keyboard stop functioning for a few seconds while I was playing a game. It regularly did that, but not at critical moments.

I broke it in half.

Archangel
Fri, 01-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Once I had a wireless keyboard stop functioning for a few seconds while I was playing a game. It regularly did that, but not at critical moments.

I broke it in half.
lol .

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Well, they're not actually that bad.

They can get interference problems, but for the most part that their convenience balances that up. (as long as you get that interference problem sorted out soon enough)

My brother had to put his wireless receiver on the front USB port of his case instead of the back, and he's not had any problems since.

Animeniax
Fri, 01-04-2013, 11:38 PM
I stopped using wireless keyboards for gaming because they would hiccup and lag and piss me off to the point I'd hammerfist them into oblivion. I only use wired keyboards and mice for gaming now. I consider them tethered so less likely to end up across the room or smashed through my monitor.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-05-2013, 09:05 AM
I stopped using wireless (or even fancy) keyboards for two reasons:

1) The batteries always abruptly die. Sometimes during a game, sometimes when writing a post, or while you're trying to chat. It's always at the worst possible time too.

2) They can't go in the dishwasher like most regular ones can.