PDA

View Full Version : PC gaming from your couch?

Animeniax
Sun, 12-02-2012, 10:03 PM
I want to move my gaming PC or set up an HTPC on my big screen TV and play video games from the couch. What do you all use for a keyboard/mouse tray that can be used comfortably on the couch?

I've checked other online forums and plenty of people resort to a lap tray but I don't think that would be comfortable for long and I doubt it would help your accuracy and speed in FPSes.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-03-2012, 07:18 AM
If I was ever doing this, I'd buy those keyboards that have an integrated trackpad on the bottom, or give those trackball mice a go.

Kraco
Mon, 12-03-2012, 09:32 AM
If I was ever doing this, I'd buy those keyboards that have an integrated trackpad on the bottom, or give those trackball mice a go.

Can you play FPS games with a trackball fluently? I have only used trackballs at work, so I know they are nice enough for Windows use, but I have no idea beyond that.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-03-2012, 09:56 AM
No idea about FPS. I've only seen RTS in action.

Xelbair
Mon, 12-03-2012, 02:27 PM
forget about any decent FPS gaming with such setup. I've been playing Portal that way with my friend - but nothing beats the comfort of normal usage. The only RTS i could play with such setup is Supreme Commander. Also - most fonts in PC games are too small to read them comfortably from couch - only solution to that is to play at lower ress(which is kinda pointless).
You can get x360 wireless pad, plug it into pc and play - but that gives practically the same experience as console.

Animeniax
Mon, 12-03-2012, 02:28 PM
My thumbs don't have the dex to use a trackball for any pointing, much less gaming. Most of the gaming I'll do will be with a controller, but some FPSs too.

I'm surprised no one has come up with a gamer-specific solution for this, as I imagine a lot of people would rather play games on their couch in front of their big screen TV than a small PC monitor.

Xelbair
Mon, 12-03-2012, 04:28 PM
the
http://i.imgur.com/oAZ4r.png
prefers normal screens.

usually TV = console, monitor=PC when it comes to gaming.
but if you are going to use a controller - hook it up and play - but using keyboard/mice combo + TV while sitting at couch is godawful.

Animeniax
Mon, 12-03-2012, 04:37 PM
It is at its current level of tech, but we just need more of a movement to put the PC back into the fold as a viable gaming platform. I searched for solutions and there is a lot of interest in PC gaming from the couch, but no one has a good solution and most just settle on some workaround.

I might have found a solution: