PDA

View Full Version : Consumerism

Animeniax
Sat, 11-24-2012, 01:26 PM
I make it a point to never pay full retail price for anything but I also prefer stress-free shopping experiencing. Most people at Costco are bad enough, and even then I've left quickly because I was too disgusted with their behaviour and because I get anxiety from overcrowded places.

I'm exactly the same way. I hate paying full price, I feel like I'm being cheated or wasting my money even if I can afford it easily. But then other times I do waste money so it's a strange distinction. I definitely prefer stress-free over good deals. I get anxious in crowds too, but I've learned to enjoy it more and relax. I like to people-watch, even in a potentially stressful situation such as shopping.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-24-2012, 09:30 PM
So for you guys, does full price equate to over-priced? Or does full price mean the average, non-special retail price?

Animeniax
Sat, 11-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Full or retail pricing is over-priced. I've worked in retail before so I know a little about markup and it bothers me to pay it. Plus being an avid internet shopper, you can always find something cheaper online if you're willing to wait a little longer for shipping.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Full or retail pricing is over-priced. I've worked in retail before so I know a little about markup and it bothers me to pay it. Plus being an avid internet shopper, you can always find something cheaper online if you're willing to wait a little longer for shipping.

I see.

When I buy, the biggest moral issue I encounter within myself is whether I feel right about using a brick&motar shop as a showroom/live-demo for a product before buying through the internet. I've also worked in retail and while I understand that there's a good % mark-up for an item, the shop is should also be adding value for that via customer service, warranty assistance, live demos and timely purchases/convenience. It's fair to say that the survival between the retail and internet model should be decided by the revenue customers generate for them.. but I feel like I've taken unfair advantage of a shop if I used their assistance to make a third party purchase online.

I'm supportive of the "survival of the fittest" idea, but the above behaviour seems to compromise that.

Animeniax
Sun, 11-25-2012, 03:41 AM
I have that same moral issue. I feel bad going into stores just to try stuff out, fully knowing there's no way I'm paying retail for that item when I can order it online for a lot cheaper. So I read online reviews and talk to buddies for advice instead.

With Best Buy going the way of the dodo, I wonder how brick&mortar stores will compete in the future. Taxing Amazon purchases is one way to even the playing field, but not really. Maybe if they reduced taxes on in-store purchases, that would help. For now, storefronts will survive only because people aren't computer literate enough to shop online, and some outright don't trust online shopping as safe and secure.

We should move these last few posts to another thread, though I'm not sure which one.

fahoumh
Sun, 11-25-2012, 09:30 AM
So for you guys, does full price equate to over-priced? Or does full price mean the average, non-special retail price?
In most cases, yes...but there are some things where the regular price is a good deal. My girlfriend thinks I'm cheap but I consider myself to be an economist. Plus, I work too damn hard for my money to just toss it away.

I've worked in a retail for most of my life and it's kind of driven me crazy with information. Like when I see HDMI cables for $70 I know it's a rip-off because I know the store's cost is like $7. The internet has really opened up the retail world for anyone who's willing to do a little work for potentially huge savings.

I see.

When I buy, the biggest moral issue I encounter within myself is whether I feel right about using a brick&motar shop as a showroom/live-demo for a product before buying through the internet. I've also worked in retail and while I understand that there's a good % mark-up for an item, the shop is should also be adding value for that via customer service, warranty assistance, live demos and timely purchases/convenience. It's fair to say that the survival between the retail and internet model should be decided by the revenue customers generate for them.. but I feel like I've taken unfair advantage of a shop if I used their assistance to make a third party purchase online.

I'm supportive of the "survival of the fittest" idea, but the above behaviour seems to compromise that.

I have that same moral issue. I feel bad going into stores just to try stuff out, fully knowing there's no way I'm paying retail for that item when I can order it online for a lot cheaper. So I read online reviews and talk to buddies for advice instead.

With Best Buy going the way of the dodo, I wonder how brick&mortar stores will compete in the future. Taxing Amazon purchases is one way to even the playing field, but not really. Maybe if they reduced taxes on in-store purchases, that would help. For now, storefronts will survive only because people aren't computer literate enough to shop online, and some outright don't trust online shopping as safe and secure.

We should move these last few posts to another thread, though I'm not sure which one.
I still like brick-and-mortar stores for the human interaction (assuming I get some decent customer service, which seems to be mostly dead here in Canada) and for the ease of returning something I don't like, is broken, etc...

Xelbair
Sun, 11-25-2012, 10:05 AM
The only things I'm not buying via internet are shoes and groceries.
Customer service is not so good in most stores, prices are way higher(for example - brick-and-mortar store 200pln, online 80pln(with delivery)), less wares available in normal stores etc.

when it comes to returning stuff, stores usually just send it to manufacturer via longer route(for example store->storage->manufacturer) so it takes even longer time.

Animeniax
Sun, 11-25-2012, 02:22 PM
I still like brick-and-mortar stores for the human interaction (assuming I get some decent customer service, which seems to be mostly dead here in Canada) and for the ease of returning something I don't like, is broken, etc...

I've found sales folks at stores don't know what they are talking about a lot of the time, so while I appreciate a knowledgeable guide, I can find that just as easily with an online review from a trusted source. I'll admit I like shopping at stores for other human interaction, like chicks.

The only things I'm not buying via internet are shoes and groceries.I wouldn't buy a big screen TV online, but I have purchased monitors and they arrived in perfect condition. But the hassle of returning a damaged big screen wouldn't be worth it to me.

Xelbair
Sun, 11-25-2012, 03:32 PM
most of bigger TVs have in-home warranty - they come to pick it up or fix it in your home.

Kraco
Sun, 11-25-2012, 03:44 PM
most of bigger TVs have in-home warranty - they come to pick it up or fix it in your home.

Indeed. That was fricking awesome when my TV developed a solid vertical stripe across the screen. After a couple of phone calls, they had a car fetch the screen from my home, and after a period of time returned it fixed to my doorsteps as well, all the while keeping me sufficiently informed.

After all that and the fact they had to change the panel (obviously the most expensive part of a tv), I bet the manufacturer lost all the profits it had gained from my purchase, if not more...

I've found sales folks at stores don't know what they are talking about a lot of the time, so while I appreciate a knowledgeable guide, I can find that just as easily with an online review from a trusted source.

Yeah. I've been continuously disappointed by that. In ye olde times it felt like the sales personnel knew stuff, but now if you have read reviews and forums a couple of evenings before visiting the brick-and-mortar stores, it seems you will know more than 99% of the clerks (about the specific item you are interested in). So, the only reason I like to visit local stores is the ease of returning broken items and just chatting with the people, and I suppose to support their existence. But I won't pay premium for all that. I'm willing to pay a little bit more but not much.

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-25-2012, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't buy a big screen TV online, but I have purchased monitors and they arrived in perfect condition. But the hassle of returning a damaged big screen wouldn't be worth it to me.
Many online purchases of televisions come with "complimentary white-glove" delivery service, rolled into the cost of the set. It is in their interest to ensure that the television arrives unbroken and in working order. It is as much about making sure that they are not being scammed in some way as much as it is about you getting a quality product. They'll test it to verify that it works, though they usually won't hook it up to your systems.

It's just like ordering furniture or mattresses, but they won't even charge you extra for it.

Animeniax
Sun, 11-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Many online purchases of televisions come with "complimentary white-glove" delivery service, rolled into the cost of the set. It is in their interest to ensure that the television arrives unbroken and in working order. It is as much about making sure that they are not being scammed in some way as much as it is about you getting a quality product. They'll test it to verify that it works, though they usually won't hook it up to your systems.

It's just like ordering furniture or mattresses, but they won't even charge you extra for it.

Ahh very nice, good to know. The last time I considered ordering a TV online was 3 years ago, and I felt the price that made it worthwhile to order online couldn't possibly include that kind of extra service. Plus I checked forums and people had the same concerns about damage and shipping that I did, though they might have been just as ill-informed as I was. Maybe the e-tailers realized these concerns and added the white-glove service?

The hang up for me then would be having strangers in my house to install a big ticket item like that. I know it's a bit of paranoia, but studying law enforcement and criminology has given me that mindset.

Animeniax
Sun, 11-25-2012, 04:05 PM
D'oh, double-posted on accident.

Yeah. I've been continuously disappointed by that. In ye olde times it felt like the sales personnel knew stuff, but now if you have read reviews and forums a couple of evenings before visiting the brick-and-mortar stores, it seems you will know more than 99% of the clerks (about the specific item you are interested in). So, the only reason I like to visit local stores is the ease of returning broken items and just chatting with the people, and I suppose to support their existence. But I won't pay premium for all that. I'm willing to pay a little bit more but not much. When I worked at a Best Buy, it was a point of pride to be knowledgeable about what I sold in my department, but I was in the minority. Sales staff at places like Best Buy focus mostly on selling extended warranties.

Kraco
Sun, 11-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Sales staff at places like Best Buy focus mostly on selling extended warranties.

Haha, that's so bloody true. Extended warranties and trying to convince you why choosing just a little bit more expensive model would the wisest of decisions.

darkshadow
Sun, 11-25-2012, 05:23 PM

Sony does it exactly once, after that you are fucked and have to pay, even if you miss the appointment for whatever reason.

fahoumh
Tue, 11-27-2012, 11:05 PM
The only things I'm not buying via internet are shoes and groceries.
I usually never buy shoes online but I did recently from Zappos because they were the same as a pair I already had but in different colours. I would never buy groceries online...that's just too weird for me.

I've found sales folks at stores don't know what they are talking about a lot of the time, so while I appreciate a knowledgeable guide, I can find that just as easily with an online review from a trusted source. I'll admit I like shopping at stores for other human interaction, like chicks.
When I bought a camera lens at Best Buy for my girlfriend on her recent birthday, the dumb shit sales punk tried to convince me that the because the lens has a lot of moving parts it was pretty well guaranteed to break and that I should buy extended warranty. It's a $700 Canon lens that's one step down from their top-of-the-line L-series and he's trying to tell me it's junk. Give me a fucking break. Sorry for the excessive foul language; I'm still annoyed from that experience.

Sony does it exactly once, after that you are fucked and have to pay, even if you miss the appointment for whatever reason.
That's fucking LAME.

Animeniax
Tue, 11-27-2012, 11:50 PM
I usually never buy shoes online but I did recently from Zappos because they were the same as a pair I already had but in different colours. I would never buy groceries online...that's just too weird for me.

When I bought a camera lens at Best Buy for my girlfriend on her recent birthday, the dumb shit sales punk tried to convince me that the because the lens has a lot of moving parts it was pretty well guaranteed to break and that I should buy extended warranty. It's a $700 Canon lens that's one step down from their top-of-the-line L-series and he's trying to tell me it's junk. Give me a fucking break. Sorry for the excessive foul language; I'm still annoyed from that experience.

When I worked overseas we had to order from netgrocer.com, which is an online grocer. When you think of groceries, are you only thinking of produce and meats? We'd order canned and non-perishables mostly.

Some of the guys I worked with sold a lot of extended warranties by scaring people into thinking their purchase could break or fail in a million different ways. I never liked that tactic, hence I wasn't much good at selling the warranties. But really it's the company's fault, they really stress the warranty sales because it's basically pure profit for them. Still understandable that it would be upsetting to hear some of the sales bs.

fahoumh
Wed, 11-28-2012, 12:35 AM
When I worked overseas we had to order from netgrocer.com, which is an online grocer. When you think of groceries, are you only thinking of produce and meats? We'd order canned and non-perishables mostly.
Mostly, yeah...I'm really trying to stay away from canned and frozen food. I'd prefer to eat home-cooked things because there's more control in the quality of ingredients plus the salt and fat content; my family has a history of heart disease and I need to be careful even though I'm naturally skinny.

Some of the guys I worked with sold a lot of extended warranties by scaring people into thinking their purchase could break or fail in a million different ways. I never liked that tactic, hence I wasn't much good at selling the warranties. But really it's the company's fault, they really stress the warranty sales because it's basically pure profit for them. Still understandable that it would be upsetting to hear some of the sales bs.
I worked at Future Shop (it's a Canadian company owned by Best Buy, and is basically the same store inside and they even use the exact same SKUs) and it was exactly the same: sales staff were encouraged to sell service plans and some did sell them through fear. I bought the lens with my Visa and it offers a 1 year warranty extension on most purchases so I'm automatically covered.