PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Tail Ep. 154

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-26-2012, 09:42 PM
HorribleSubs
Fairy Tail
Episode 154

480p (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=367074) | 720p (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=367072) | 1080p
(http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=367078)

----------------------------------------

hahaha, Happy you asshole. That kick was totally deserved.

Poor Erza :'(

DarthEnderX
Sat, 10-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Fucking good! Jellal doesn't deserve Erza!

Also...free Super Saiyan powers. Cheap plot device.

Kraco
Sat, 10-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Fucking good! Jellal doesn't deserve Erza!

Then who does? He was and likely still is one of the most powerful mages around. They have a shared past, in good and bad, plus Erza certainly doesn't hate him. You would rather see her with the "Meeeeeeeeen!" Ichiya or something?

Happy's last jab was funny indeed. That was just like Happy.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-27-2012, 09:17 PM
I've come to the conclusion that one of the only ways to convincingly have a strong female warrior character fall in love with someone (without lowering her strength or pride) is to have the male partner's strength appeal to her in your youth and steal her heart while she was still "vulnerable".

Given that, Jellal is the only convincing partner for Erza. Stronger FT members include Gildartz, Laxus and Mystogan, but any of those would seem kinda weird.

I was actually a little afraid Jellal's fiance was going to be Ultear there.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 10-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Then who does? He was and likely still is one of the most powerful mages around. They have a shared past, in good and bad, plus Erza certainly doesn't hate him..No no. You're right. That guy she knew for like a year when they were 10 who then spent 20 years being a psychopath is totally deserving to be with her and not one of the countless people she grew up and fought beside and was happy with the majority of her life.

It's no different than the connection Sakura thinks she has with Sasuke. "Oh, I knew him for a short time when we were kids, but he grew up to be an asshole, but I spend my whole life being in love with that person he hasn't been for ages."

At least Jellal is actually stopped being a douche. He's got that over Sasuke at least. Still, spent a decade being a dick, been good for 6 years now, but it's not like she's been around for any of that time.

Given that, Jellal is the only convincing partner for Erza. Stronger FT members include Gildartz, Laxus and Mystogan, but any of those would seem kinda weird.I'm confused as to why Erza would need her partner to be stronger than her.

If anything, that seems like an antithesis of a strong female character is requiring that she not be as strong as the person she's with.

I was actually afraid a little afraid Jellal's fiance was going to be Ultear there.Yeah, that would be super messed up.

"Hey, I used to mind rape you when you were little. Let's get married!"

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-28-2012, 01:21 AM
I'm confused as to why Erza would need her partner to be stronger than her.

If anything, that seems like an antithesis of a strong female character is requiring that she not be as strong as the person she's with.

It's just my general perception that female characters are attracted towards those they can depend upon (or is better than them).

But didn't she know about Sigfried when he was serving as a Council member? He didn't acknowledge that he was Jellal, but I'm sure she had her suspicions.

Kraco
Sun, 10-28-2012, 03:08 AM
It's just my general perception that female characters are attracted towards those they can depend upon (or is better than them).

I don't think that's it. Erza wouldn't need anybody to depend on plus with her personality she wouldn't care. She's actually super friendly and encouraging to all the weaker people in Fairy Tail and never lets them feel she wouldn't count on them to pull something off just because she knows they are weaker than she is. She might choose to fight instead of them, but only because she likes to protect those around her (no wonder considering her past as a child slave and the example Jellal gave back then). On the other hand, I can't remember any scenes where she would have felt envious of someone else's strength in a malicious manner.

However, I do think a couple being more equal in terms of power is a significant factor, especially if both are fighting men and women. It means neither will be poisoned by envy or doubt. You can say that's a weakness of spirit, to grow envious of your partner and think you aren't good enough for her (or even him in some cases), but fiction is full of such failures, and no doubt reality as well (not fighting power but for example men bothered by the career/education success of their wives, feeling inadequate). As an icing on the cake, Jellal's powers are very different from Erza's extremely straight-forward fighting style, so they would be hard to directly compare. As a strawberry on top of the icing, Jellal would be easily strong enough to accompany Erza anywhere, so he wouldn't need to sit back at home, worrying about her, and vice versa. A perfect couple with the love between them easily visible as well.

The only thing holding them back is that the shounen textbook Mashima is following to the letter is forbidding successful romance.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 10-30-2012, 07:37 AM
I don't see how Jellal is even that strong.

He was the main villain, like, 5 arcs ago.

Most of the main cast has defeated stronger opponents since then.

Kraco
Tue, 10-30-2012, 08:31 AM
His power level is unknown, that's true. However, back in his arc Erza had troubles with him and it took Natsu some extraordinary methods to defeat him. And that was Jellal as a pawn. I guess it doesn't say so much to have been selected into the (useless) council, in the bigger picture, but he achieved that as well. Now, however, he has had years to get stronger, and apparently they have been fighting and researching much of that time. So, he should be strong. I'm not saying the strongest, because he's not, but definitely somewhere close to the top.

TwisT
Thu, 11-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Decided to give this anime a try and marathoned the entire thing. First of all, damn they have many GAR cameos. I kind of like it. Miss GAR. Second of all, has the last 30 or so episodes been fillers? Ever since that dragon blasted them into the future it has been boring as hell. It was fine for a few comedy episodes right when they came back but once those boring (but supposed to be a serious threat) villains showed up it became lame. And then they transfer old beaten villains to the present. I really hope it's fillers or i start to doubt i will continue.

Kraco
Fri, 11-02-2012, 03:53 AM
Yeah, there was a long stretch of fillers (that I skipped to spare my sanity). The last few eps have been canon based, though. Things ought to pick up speed from now on. The manga has some good material.

However, the manga isn't still that much ahead of the anime. Too bad they couldn't just stop the show for a year or two. The FT manga doesn't have so awesomely lots of content per chapter, so they are eaten fast animated.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 11-02-2012, 01:11 PM
However, the manga isn't still that much ahead of the anime. Too bad they couldn't just stop the show for a year or two. The FT manga doesn't have so awesomely lots of content per chapter, so they are eaten fast animated.I really wish Japanese TV had seasons the way US TV does. Then we'd never have to deal with filler.