View Full Version : 「K」(K-Project)

Buffalobiian
Thu, 10-04-2012, 10:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kMZ5zSX.jpg

Alternative Titles:
K-Project
K: Memory of Red (manga)

Genres: action, supernatural

Synopsis: Set in a world where history has taken a slightly different course from the one we're familiar with, K follows the story of a young boy whose life is caught in a psychic war between seven kings.

Ashinaka High School is known for its unique setting: the entire campus is built on an island. Yashiro Isana, aka Shiro, is having lunch with a cat on one of the school rooftops. After his lunch break, Shiro goes on an errand for his classmate Kukuri to prepare for their upcoming school festival, only to be chased by some intimidating-looking men. -MyAnimeList

Commie - Episode 01 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=358817)

K: Missing Kings sequel movie:
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=683260

K: Return of Kings 2nd series:
https://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php/21153-%E3%80%8CK%E3%80%8D(K-Project)?p=552138&viewfull=1#post552138

animus
Fri, 10-05-2012, 07:36 PM
The word that kept popping in my head as I was watching this was pretentious.

Also, every time I hear the main character's voice I'm reminded of Hetalia.

David75
Sat, 10-06-2012, 03:22 AM
Same here. Nice overall quality, feels pretty empty though.
We'll see with ep 2

Archangel
Sat, 10-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Really? It didn't feel pretentious to me, if anything it felt like a much less pretentious Guilty Crown with a bit of Persona 4.

It's kind of homosex though, hope they don't dig that part too deep.

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-06-2012, 02:51 PM
It's kind of homosex though, hope they don't dig that part too deep.
[Ryllharu scrolls up to the promo image...]

Yeah...there's no chance of at least a little shonen ai not happening.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-07-2012, 07:46 AM
It reeks of boy's love.

It does feel way too pretentious. It tries too hard to be something impressive, when at the core it is barely interesting.

The voice of the protagonist pisses me off so much.

Archangel
Sun, 10-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Episode 2:

Big fat cat tats!

I hope they start shedding this aura of mystery soon, it's just annoying when i'm not even sure of what it is i'm watching.

Archangel
Mon, 10-22-2012, 04:11 AM
Episode 3:

The puzzle is coming together... kind of.

Kraco
Wed, 01-02-2013, 04:27 AM
After the whole thing:

I have certainly watched worse shows. Fortunately the shounen-ai vibes never got over a critical threshold, and there was Neko constantly hanging around, so this was, all in all, quite a solid story in my opinion. The whole destined king theme suited my tastes very well, and while the fights never seemed to reach much of a conclusion apart from the last king fight, I have no complaints about the action either. It was certainly hot-blooded enough, yet with plenty of different personalities, like the traitor Saruhiko, who hated people with a big heart, to mention one. If I had to name one annoying thing, it was the wishy-washy main character, but you can't really say that wasn't partly necessitated by the story. Even if he had no memories for most of the show, he was still the same dude who had only sat aboard his zeppelin ever since WWII, doing nothing at all, so it made more sense he still had no motivation to do anything but survive after he got kicked out of his own body (and the flying ship), with an empty head to boot.

So, I'm actually looking forward to the sequel that got announced (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-27/k-anime-gets-sequel-green-lit) already. If only to see Neko reunited with her king...

Xelbair
Wed, 01-02-2013, 09:44 AM
We might see the other 2 kings/clans in sequel(so far Silver, Golden, Blue, Red, Colorless out of 7 colors total).
The only major problem with this show was lack of funds/lazyness - too many still shots in combat etc.

Archangel
Wed, 01-02-2013, 12:09 PM
That and repeated frames of animation.

Yukimura
Wed, 01-02-2013, 04:44 PM
For all the glitz and glamour of the visuals and the decent attempt at wold building I felt like K just sort of petered out into nothing in the end. I couldn't get into why the Red King and Blue King were fighting because most of the back story and worldbuilding we got focused on the Silver and Gold kings and their experiments in the past. I suppose Shiro and his journey towards affirming who he is was the overall main thread of the season but I couldn't really get into as much because the Red/Blue situation seemed to take a lot of focus for itself despite being relatively divorced from Shiro's journey towards self rediscovery.

Despite my misgivings I'm willing to see if the second season can pull things together enough to mak more out of this world than we've gotten so far but I am going into it with much lowered expectations than I had after the first ep of season 1.

Kraco
Thu, 01-03-2013, 03:38 AM
I couldn't get into why the Red King and Blue King were fighting...

That particular case was actually explained, but in the bigger picture the whole king situation certainly is a flaw in the background building of this story. We know the stone tablet can make living beings kings, granting them awesome powers and the ability to form clans, but beyond that the whole thing wasn't explained pretty much at all. I wish kings were driven to fight each other, as a price for gaining the power, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

What we do know is that the kings may deteriorate for whatever reason (visibly shown as their Sword of Damocles becoming all ruined), and that may cause a major catastrophe. The Red king and Blue king were fighting because Suou was close to blowing up the neighbourhood, yet giving a shit about the possibility, and Munakata is some self-proclaimed hero of justice and thus wanted to prevent it from happening. In the beginning of the show Munakata tried to do it peacefully, but since Suou only wanted to hunt down and slay Shirou (it should have been the Colourless king, but Suou was probably too close to dying to care about such details), it couldn't be helped and Munakata decided to end Suou's life instead, to prevent half of the city blowing up at some random point. So, their fight made perfect sense.

Munsu
Tue, 09-15-2015, 11:54 PM
So, is this series worth catching up to?

A movie came out last year, did any of you watch it?:

And a sequel series, K: Return of Kings, comes out next month... mainly why I'm asking if I should catch up.

MasterOfMoogles
Wed, 09-16-2015, 01:02 AM
If you like everything blue, then yes.
Otherwise no, I thought it was pretty bad. One of the few shows I won't be watching the sequel to.

Nothing really made any sense, and everything is shaded blue for no reason. I'm serious. The whole show it is like somebody accidentally put on a blue filter.

Kraco
Wed, 09-16-2015, 01:48 AM
Quite a decent movie, in the spirit of the series itself. It had lots of action as well. The new red king is cute and Neko is still chasing after Shiro, who continues to linger, so the pieces are alright.

It was very blue, though, like Moogles said. I'd find it hard to believe the encoder would have messed with the video like that, so the director must be a fan of the blue king.

Munsu
Wed, 09-16-2015, 01:57 AM
Quite a decent movie, in the spirit of the series itself. It had lots of action as well. The new red king is cute and Neko is still chasing after Shiro, who continues to linger, so the pieces are alright.

It was very blue, though, like Moogles said. I'd find it hard to believe the encoder would have messed with the video like that, so the director must be a fan of the blue king.

Will you be continuing with the sequel then?

Kraco
Wed, 09-16-2015, 02:49 AM
Will you be continuing with the sequel then?

Yes, I will.

Munsu
Sat, 09-19-2015, 06:30 PM
Just watched the first episode. Don't care for the shounen-ai tendencies, but I thought the potential action, the animation and the score are good enough to carry me through it. In all, enjoyed the first episode, we'll see how that goes.

Munsu
Sun, 09-20-2015, 12:37 PM
Just finished the first series. Overall I enjoyed it, but it had too much head scratchers and impulsiveness just to make the drama work.

As mentioned previously, I'm glad the shounen-ai tendencies were held at bay.

Main charactet was hit and miss since I hatr characters with his demeanor (and shitty feminine sounding VA), but I think his fairly clever ways to keep himself alive made it work enough for me.

Neko was great.

The blue overlay sucked balls.

Well, I'll get to the movie in the coming days.

Munsu
Wed, 09-23-2015, 10:25 PM
And finished watching the movie K: Missing Kings...

Sad to see Daikaku die off, I'm guessing old age and maybe being away from the Dresden Slate played into it? He was the only real character that showed some testosterone in the series, so he'll be missed. But what saddens me more is that we didn't see much of him during the series as it was, so lamenting that more than anything.

So the new Red King is Anna, pretty much as expected. I'm still curious how the new King is chosen, as I don't think they need to be touching the Dresden Slate to make it work, so coincidental that it occurred where it did. That said, it seemed like she had been in denial for quite some time, so it was simply about acceptance at that point.

Right now we have two Kings at least that don't seem to combat ready (Shiro and Anna) besides whatever power they've been provided. At least Gold, former Red, Blue, and Green (maybe) seem like they're all capable fighters one way or another.

With that in mind, I'm curious what role being in possession of the Dresden Slate plays and it's proximity/touch other than providing Kings around some sort of unknown perimeter.

We'll see what the Green King's goal is and why he needs Shiro to do it (or kill him for that matter if that's his purpose). We need more chick ninja of course, that scene with Fushimi was abruptly cut, so not sure what happened there. Did she get detained or did she get away?

I also want to see more of what powers Silver's Clansmen have. A bit disappointed with Neko in her role in fights, she seemed a bit more useful early in the series, but as things got revealed she became more of a joke when it mattered. I know also that Shiro being away might be part of why Kuroh and company haven't really manifested Silver-like powers that I could see, but I'll be disappointed if have nothing to show for it once Shiro returns.

Wonder who'll take the mantle of Gold and Colorless as well, probably an unknown?

In all, it was a good movie in the vein of the series itself, with plenty of action to keep me entertained and certainly a good bridge to get into the sequel, K: Return of Kings.

Munsu
Sat, 10-03-2015, 08:09 AM
K: Return of Kings

http://i.imgur.com/9E8Ayls.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXKYCOShfAI

Plot Summary: (Has spoilers of the prequel series and movie)

In modern Japan there are seven "Kings" who share power with their fellow clansmen. The Blue King Reishi Munakata, the leader of the Blue Clan "Scepter 4," held great responsibilities on his back. The tower that Gold King Daikaku Kokujōji supervised called the "Dresden Slate" was still on his mind, and he felt a great burden by killing the previous Red King, Mikoto Suoh. On the other hand, the former Red Clan "HOMRA" clansman Anna Kushina experienced the attacks from the Green Clan "Jungle" and awakened as the next Red King. By doing this, she bound her comrades through a strong bond once again. Finally, White Clan members Neko and Kuroh believe that the White King Yashiro is still alive, and seek his whereabouts. However, it was not just them searching for the White King. With "Jungle" once again jumping back into action, the fates of the various Kings are brought together.

Seems like this one might be related to the K: Dream of Green manga

K: Return of Kings episode 1:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=740042

Will be watching it after work.

Kraco
Sat, 10-03-2015, 12:56 PM
As flamboyant as ever. The HS 720p release had so bad video quality I thought I had just downloaded an avi from decades ago. The 1080p was a bit better. Considering this is quite visual heavy as an artistic style, it's strange the video quality would be so bad.

Nevertheless, I liked this first episode. This is supposed to be a bishounen show, but it sure did give the Blue lieutenant time to showcase her wonderful assets. Of course I wouldn't be watching this in the first place if it wasn't so, naturally with sexy Neko foolishness thrown in the mix. The tiny new Red king is also doing her best in the middle of all those dudes. No doubt Munakata will find it easier to deal with her than Suou. Although it looks like he will soon follow the Red king to death.

I'm looking forward to Shiro and Neko reuniting. It could be a warm and fluffy scene.

lelouch
Sat, 10-03-2015, 02:56 PM
I can't find an english sub for the movie. Anyone know where I can find it?

Munsu
Sat, 10-03-2015, 03:04 PM
I can't find an english sub for the movie. Anyone know where I can find it?

I had linked to it in my first post of this thread, here it is:

Munsu
Sat, 10-03-2015, 07:12 PM
As flamboyant as ever. The HS 720p release had so bad video quality I thought I had just downloaded an avi from decades ago. The 1080p was a bit better. Considering this is quite visual heavy as an artistic style, it's strange the video quality would be so bad.

Nevertheless, I liked this first episode. This is supposed to be a bishounen show, but it sure did give the Blue lieutenant time to showcase her wonderful assets. Of course I wouldn't be watching this in the first place if it wasn't so, naturally with sexy Neko foolishness thrown in the mix. The tiny new Red king is also doing her best in the middle of all those dudes. No doubt Munakata will find it easier to deal with her than Suou. Although it looks like he will soon follow the Red king to death.

I'm looking forward to Shiro and Neko reuniting. It could be a warm and fluffy scene.

Man, those Awashima fanservice were ridiculous and overboard, but I won't complain. Not a fan of gratuitous shots like her awesome ass and boobs, but this time I'll forgive them. I think they feel they might be losing some viewers because of the shounen-ai tendencies, limited as they are, so they're putting an effort to balance it out. Seri is hot through and through, so it was welcomed. Though I hope it's more restrained in the future.

Other than that, didn't care all that much for this first episode, it was a bit messy and seemed like it hadn't moved forward at all from where the movie left off. I'm also getting incredibly tired of the Fushimi and Yata confrontations. They never lead anywhere, and Yata's loudmouth is annoying as heck, so less of that would be for the best. Unless they finally kill one an other, then all would be good.

Anyways, waiting for Shiro to arrive since the series certainly misses him.

lelouch
Sun, 10-04-2015, 11:02 PM
My prediction is the finale will have Anna kill Munakata in a similar fashion to how he killed Suoh.

Kraco
Sat, 10-10-2015, 04:10 PM
Episode 2 - HS

- - - - --

My prediction is the finale will have Anna kill Munakata in a similar fashion to how he killed Suoh.

Perhaps not. Seems like the duty might belong to Awashima, as much as she would abhor it. But perhaps it's best to be done by one who wouldn't want to do it. Maybe it would also be quite romantic if she did it. I also think a little girl like Anna shouldn't need to kill anybody. They did say the Red King is destined for destruction, but I'd like to believe a cute thing like Anna would be able to avoid such a fate. Just seeing her playing with Neko was so nice and heartwarming.

I hope the reunion already happens in the next episode or at the very least in the one after if the next ep is dramatic buildup for it. I wouldn't want to say it, but I kind of get tired of Neko's constant and single-minded lamentation. She needs to get together with Shiro to get over it and focus on something else again.

Munsu
Sat, 10-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Episode 2 - HS

- - - - --

Perhaps not. Seems like the duty might belong to Awashima, as much as she would abhor it. But perhaps it's best to be done by one who wouldn't want to do it. Maybe it would also be quite romantic if she did it. I also think a little girl like Anna shouldn't need to kill anybody. They did say the Red King is destined for destruction, but I'd like to believe a cute thing like Anna would be able to avoid such a fate. Just seeing her playing with Neko was so nice and heartwarming.

I hope the reunion already happens in the next episode or at the very least in the one after if the next ep is dramatic buildup for it. I wouldn't want to say it, but I kind of get tired of Neko's constant and single-minded lamentation. She needs to get together with Shiro to get over it and focus on something else again.

Yeah, Neko the character went a bit downhill after the first couple of episodes in the first series. She promised to be a very interesting character, but she's been severely dumbed down when she initially looked to be quite a clever mastermind.

Anyways, second episode was boring but didn't mind much of it. I kinda like the new Anna expression, and Awashima contemplating the steps needed to take in order to stop her captain if needed be. Guess that's all worth pointing out for now.

And agree, Shiro needs to me an appearance and get that part done already. We know he's alive, so it's a bit pointless to keep dragging the audience through the "mystery" of the return.

Kraco
Sat, 10-17-2015, 05:06 AM
Episode 3 - HS

- - - -- -- -

Hopefully things will now start to move forward with Shiro back in action. At the very least Neko might again become a more worthwhile character. Perhaps Kurou will also get more powerful, that is, grant a more even fight with Yukari. They haven't been so good now with the constant underlying feeling Kurou won't stand a chance and thus Yukari won't even go all-out. I'm also looking forward to how Shiro is going to deal with the other kings. The same as for Munakata, It's safe to assume it's easier for Shiro to deal with Anna than Mikoto... Mikoto seemed like a man who didn't listen to anybody.

Sukuna is a tough brat to fight against both Misaki and Saru at the same time. Green isn't helpless fighting power wise even if the huge horde of low ranking members is entirely useless when shit really hits the fan.

Kraco
Sat, 11-21-2015, 04:45 AM
Episode 8 - HS

- -- - - - - - -

No doubt of the worst episodes of the whole title. Perhaps the author, and the series director, are capable of very nice and graphical action sequences, but quite incapable of forming a sensible bigger picture as far as action goes. That actually goes for this whole season so far as little of the action seen has served any purpose. But this was the peak of the unfortunate events. It's exceptionally difficult to imagine what purpose the individual component here served and why everything ended like it did.

The two Green lieutenants attacking first was somewhat sensible as their role was to reduce physical defences (doors, that is). Then the Green king breaking through seemed to serve the same purpose, nothing else. However, it still didn't change the fact that there were three kings vs the Gray king who finally made it there. However, for some mysterious reason Shiro and Anna just stood there with their hands in their pockets, doing practically nothing. Once Munakata was defeated, Shiro and Anna apparently didn't do anything at all to stop the Gray king from taking the tablets, even though it would still have been 2 vs 1.

To make the whole thing even more stupid is the fact Green + Gray could have arrived on the helicopter to begin with, removing the need to go through who knows how many floors of the building. That way Green would also still have had batteries left and he could have probably beaten Blue, Silver, and Red all alone (had they all been there), leaving Gray to prepare for the tablet theft.

I hate it when the plot makes no sense whatsoever just for the sake of making later things possible. Such gross incompetence.

lelouch
Sun, 11-22-2015, 09:10 PM
fushimi obvs infiltrating jungle

Kraco
Mon, 11-23-2015, 02:25 AM
This was all just big theater to allow Fushimi to infiltrate the Green? Considering how easily they let the tablets go, it would certainly make sense, but I feel like we saw too much for that to be true. The risk would also seem far too big. What would the reward be anyway? They already know the Green want to make the whole mankind kings and clansmen with powers, and they already know who the Green core people are. What else is there to learn by infiltration? Obviously now some locations, but if they hadn't lost the tablets, that would have been trivial.