PDA

View Full Version : Visual Novel Recommendations

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-20-2012, 09:35 AM
In the tradition of the other recommendation threads in GW, this is the VN recommendation thread. Please request and give recommendations here. Discussion about the validity of recommendations are welcome, but please do not discuss specific VN content or things that may be considered spoilers so that anyone can go and visit this thread without fear of being spoiled.

David75
Fri, 07-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Clannad

Being a huge fan of the anime, I decided to dive into the very long VN of the same name.
It even was my very first VN and in fact Clannad was my only reason to enter the realm of VNs
It's incredibly long, and probably too long. No really. But when you love something...
No sex again.
The advantage was to go in depth/details for everything about Clannad. Nice story and all.

EVER17

Overall nice VN. No ero scenes (I do not think I got a censored version).
The AI route was the one I liked the most.
It was my second VN. I thought I might stop there, since I had had Clannad already and Ever 17 was fine but not
overwhelming enough to play VNs regularly.

Sharin no Kuni

A must play. No really. If you have to play only one VN, this is the one.
Sex scenes. Some installers can strip the game from those scenes if you want.
Very nice story with nice scenario and all.

Fate Stay Night

Be sure you have all parts of the game with later editions and all.
If you like that universe, you have to play that VN. But to me, a huge Saber fan, that route only would have been enough.
I hated Sakura's route
Eventhough I'm a Saber fan, Rin route was nice.
Illiasviel route was useless, to me. Underage isn't my cup of tea at all.
Sex scenes, but you can chose to install them or not.
Maybe a little long at times

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-20-2012, 12:25 PM
VN readers should try VNs that are less mainstream. It is true that the popular ones are usually good, but there are gems hidden in the less known category as well.

David75
Fri, 07-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Popularity?
Is it really that popular outside Japan, to read/play VNs?

I guess starting there is better than starting with the awfull Swan Song for example.

Then, gems are probably more accessible to people who know Japanese enough to be able to read it?
Because this is another hurdle. You might only get popular VNs if you need to wait for translation...

But I'll check the synopsis for gems, provided there's a translation of course ;)

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-20-2012, 06:14 PM
I am only talking about translated stuff.

There are pretty good ones, like Dear Drops, Quartett!, Hoshizora no Memoria, Katahane, and even the recently translated Dengeki Stryker that people don't even give a chance because they aren't made by Type Moon or Key.

The sequel for Dear Drops is absolutely awesome. Can't wait for it to get translated.

EDIT: I agree that Swan Song is utter crap.

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 07-21-2012, 03:32 AM
I'll throw out G Senjou no Maou - The Devil on G-String.
It has Jun Fukuyama voice acting, hard to pass up.

Xelbair
Sun, 07-22-2012, 01:40 PM
1) Sharin no Kuni - very interesting one due to the usage of 'obligations' as a form of punishment(for example one can be limited to 12h per day etc), very interesting(and some loveable) characters, with very good plot twists.

2) Seikinen no Ignanock - art style is kinda weird - but interesting, world is set up very nicely.