PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts Movies

Munsu
Sun, 06-10-2012, 12:04 PM
So, I'm in the mood for some martial arts movies. Any of you got any recommendations?

Over the past few days I've been watching/rewatching IP Man movies, The Protector, Bunraku, Shaolin Soccer, Kung-Fu Hustle, Ong Bak.

Some I'll be watching soon (have you seen any of then?):

The Raid: Redemption
13 Assassins
Shaolin
Merantau
Swordsmen
BKO: Bangkok Knockout
The Sorcerer and the White Snake
Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame
Chocolate

I'm particularly looking for recent movies (last few years), but all recommendations are welcomed, and if it's out on Bluray even better. It doesn't have to be a foreign film.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Older classics:

Once Upon A Time in China (mainly for the 2nd one)
Iron Monkey
Kill Zone

Can't blame me if you get bored of Donnie Yen by the end of all this tho, lol.

Munsu
Sun, 06-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Older classics:

Once Upon A Time in China (mainly for the 2nd one)
Iron Monkey
Kill Zone

Can't blame me if you get bored of Donnie Yen by the end of all this tho, lol.

No worries, as you can see from my list I've been watching and plan on watching some Donnie Yen.

darkshadow
Sun, 06-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Armour of God
BattleCreek Brawl
The prodigal son
Accidental Spy
The fearless Hyena
Spiritual Kungfu
The Myth
Unleashed
A chinese ghost story 1-3
Flashpoint
Iron Monkey
SPL
Wu Xia
Seven Swords
Dragon Tiger Gate
Drunken Master 2
Police story 1-4
New police story
Dragon's forever
Gorgeous, this movie isn't that great in it self, but there is one absolutely great fight scene in it, must see.
Rob-b-hood
The forbidden kingdom
Fearless, not the short 90 minute version
Invisible target

Munsu
Sun, 06-10-2012, 04:15 PM
I see you mention A Chinese Ghost Story, have you seen the supposed remake titled A Chinese Fairy Tale?

Also, any good Japanese movies? They seem like a rarity when talking about martial arts movies somehow, when I would've thought they'd have higher budget films than their counterparts, also considering their animation reputation.

Also, what is SPL? Hard to find info on it.

darkshadow
Sun, 06-10-2012, 04:25 PM
I've been putting off watching fairy tale cause I've heard some bad things about it, like how it felt more like being hong kong's answer to twilight.

And yeah now that you mention it, I personally don't know any japanese martial arts movies...how peculiar.

SPL is Sha Po Lang, Donnie Yen/Sammo Hung movie.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-10-2012, 08:52 PM
SPL is Sha Po Lang, Donnie Yen/Sammo Hung movie.

It's more commonly known as Kill Zone in English releases, if that makes it easier to find/obtain.

I forgot about Armour of God. Really liked that one. (Again, #2 I think was the one I liked better)

Munsu
Sun, 06-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Just finished watching Chocolate, you guys have to have a look. Interesting, an autistic teen kicking ass while collecting money from criminals from her mom's past in order to pay for her cancer treatment. The actress is going to be in The Protector sequel (same director). Also, a sequel for this is being planned.

And man, the after credits stuff is awesome, people getting fucked up doing stunts. I wouldn't be surprised of people getting killed during the filming of these movies, and then covered up somehow.

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 06-10-2012, 11:41 PM
All of the above and;

Oldies:

Heroes of the East ('78 - Gordon Liu, Yasuaki Kurata, nice presentation of Japanese VS Chinese martial arts)
Wheels on Meals ('84 - Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao, Sammo Hung. One of my favs)
The Evil Cult ('93 - Jet Li, Chingmy Yau. Also known as Kung Fu Cult Master & Lord of the Wu-Tang. One of my favs)
Fist of Legend ('94 - Jet Li, Yasuaki Kurata)
Black Mask ('96 - Jet Li, Ching Wan Lau)
Drive ('97 - Mark Dacascos, Kadeem Hardison. Watched it like a gazillion times)

Newbies:

Legend of the Fist: Return of Chen Zhen ('10 - Donnie Yen, follow up on the story of Fist of Legend)
The Legend is Born: Ip Man ('10 - Yu Hang To, Siu-Wong Fan, Sammo Hung)
Reign of Assasins ('10 - Michelle Yeoh)
The Lost Bladesman ('11 - Donnie Yen)
Shaolin ('11 - Andy Lau, Jackie Chan)
The Flying Swords of Dragon Gate ('11 - Jet Li)

Couldn't come up with more. Have fun!

Munsu
Wed, 06-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Watched Swordsmen (Wu Xia) last night, and really enjoyed it. I thought it lost a bit of it's charm in the middle, but overall it was a cool movie to watch.