PDA

View Full Version : Thread for general problems with watching anime

MFauli
Tue, 04-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Creating a new thread since there wasnt one.

Anyway, my problem: I just finished formatting my PC, installed new video players, but now nothing works the way it did before. Tried watching the second episode of Uchuu Kyoudai, but itīs one giant mess of artifacts, stuttering and plain refusing to play the video.

Would someone be so nice and tell me which player and which codecs I need to enjoy anime these days? Thanks a lot!

vejita613
Tue, 04-10-2012, 04:26 PM
http://cccp-project.net/ edit: click the left option. I never messed with the "Insurgent" before.

I've used this for the last few years. You may have to update it every once in a while, but otherwise you shouldn't have any problems.

Out of curiosity, what video players have you downloaded?

TwisT
Tue, 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Since I'm a fan of codec-packs that gives everything you need in one package i went with the newest CCCP codec-pack (released 2011-11-11) when my problems showed up. In the CCCP settings panel there is a "Alternative H.264 decoders"-box. Check "LAV Video (CCCP). This will fix the 10-bit problems with artifacts and liquid effects. I still had problems with AC3 sound on an old movie i have so in the "FFDShow Audio Decoders"-box i checked "ACC" and "AC3" and that fixed that problem.

I use Media Player Classic to play everything (it's included in the CCCP). With this pack and these settings i can play all MKV anime files i have tried so far (both 10-bit and the regular), the "h264 mp4" format that the Scene has just adopted for the regular TV shows, and i can play both new and old movies. Haven't tried to play any OGG files yet but since they are so rare anyways i guess it will be quite some time before i even try playing any of those.

MFauli
Tue, 04-10-2012, 04:57 PM
thank you both. Media Player Classic is working fine now, though Uchuu Kyoudai ep 2 is still full of artifacts and stuttering. At least it didnīt shut down the player anymore. Guess the episode itself is kinda corrupted.

@vejita: When Iīm setting up my PC from zero, I always download Media Player Classic, Gom Player, FLV player, VLC player and the DIVX player. I almost exclusively use MPC, but sometimes you get a crappy video that just wonīt run on MPC, so itīs nice to have a choice of video players.

Kraco
Tue, 04-10-2012, 05:03 PM
MPC-HC with LAV won't play correctly either Yibis or Yonkou's One Piece eps for me. So, I tend to go for MPC-HC, MadVR and the Haali splitter.

I haven't used any code packs for a few years now. I switched my approach to controlled and minimalistic.

darkshadow
Tue, 04-10-2012, 05:06 PM
You don't need any codec packs, just mpc HC really. If I get a video that was artifacting I just turn it the renderer to the haali renderer and everything is fine.

MFauli
Tue, 04-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Um, could you maybe explain those:

MPC-HC, MadVR and the Haali splitter

?
And how to set them up, as well. Thx

TwisT
Tue, 04-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Yea if you really dedicate some time to learning how the codecs work, what the targeted types it decodes and how to set it up, it should always be more effective and reliable. It's the optimal way. Codec packs are more noob friendly since they come almost completely set up and you only have to do small changes to make it work.

If you have the time and the thirst for knowledge it's recommended that you learn how everything works and set up your own shit. It's much more optimal and once you experience a problem you will much easier identify the problem and fix it yourself. I have become to lazy to spend time on it though. Most of my free time in front of the computer goes to playing games with friends or just watch movies, tv shows and anime. Some might argue that it's a sign of being a game addict, but it is what it is ^^.

Marik
Tue, 04-10-2012, 05:31 PM
I use MPC-HC (player) + LAV (audio + video decoders) + (madVR renderer) + Haali's Media Splitter (for ordered chapters). I don't have any problems playing anything.

Shinji Ikari
Tue, 04-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Only problem I've ever had was with 10bit files... Solved that by using latest CCCP together with the 86x version of MPC instead of the 64x version which I tried, but that only gave me a headache with all the problems it caused.

PS. Marik, you sure use a lot of things to watch files don't you ^^

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-10-2012, 08:49 PM
You don't need any codec packs, just mpc HC really. If I get a video that was artifacting I just turn it the renderer to the haali renderer and everything is fine.

I might do that if I ever upgrade my OS. I've just been using CCCP out of convention and ease of use.

It does conflict with some auto-encoders that I've used in the past, but since I don't transcode anything anymore it doesn't matter.

Weirdly enough, despite the point of CCCP, I still have to install quicktime and realplayer afterwards to truly be able play nearly everything.

Shadow Skill
Tue, 04-10-2012, 09:18 PM
I use Zoom Player (For 9 years now) and never had a problem.

For the past 6 or 7 years, I have been using Cole Media codec pack (Advanced) and never had an issue at trying to play any media type.

That does not mean other people will not encounter problems.