PDA

View Full Version : Upotte!! (ONA)

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-10-2012, 08:40 AM
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/2842/82142.jpg

Themes: Weapons

Plot Summary: For those of you out there that remember the OS-tan manga and anime mini-series, this is a bit along the same lines. In this case the characters are not representing computer operating systems, but firearms from around the world. The general storyline is quite funny, and a bit "ecchi" in nature but is well written and not overy silly.

-ANN

HorribleSubs - Episode 01 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=302693)

Kraco
Tue, 04-10-2012, 02:53 PM
The only reason I'd ever watch this would be to see how many guns I'd recognize from my old army and Operation Flashpoint days. And of course to see if any guns from my parts made it to the show.

However, that's not a very heavy reason so I'm in no hurry to watch the ep. Especially since what I've read of the show is hardly high praise.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-10-2012, 11:00 PM
I mostly found the episode amusing from the ecchi connotations. I'll see how the rest of the eps go, but this can get old fast.

oyabun
Wed, 04-11-2012, 12:08 AM
This is one wierd show. As expected from japan o_o. But yea, will watch episode 2.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-14-2012, 11:26 AM
HorribleSubs - Episode 02 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=304860)

Kraco
Sat, 04-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Fortunately this episode had more meaningful fight action than the first one. I have now higher hopes for the later episodes. Also a good idea to make 5.56 middle schoolers and 7.62 high schoolers.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Fortunately this episode had more meaningful fight action than the first one. I have now higher hopes for the later episodes. Also a good idea to make 5.56 middle schoolers and 7.62 high schoolers.

The onee-chans were needed badly to keep things interesting.

Before I started watching this show I was under the impression that "the girls are guns" meant that they transform into guns for their companions to use, but it's apparent that they personify and shoot themselves..

Kraco
Sat, 04-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Episode 3 - HS (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=307130)

- - - - - - - -

And SMGs are elementary schoolers. I should have guessed. However, I'm far more looking forward to the two girls with nonhuman ears shown in the OP (around 1:10). According to some manga spoilers I was subjected to they should be quite interesting characters.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Was all the stuff they said about Eru true? xD

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-28-2012, 07:13 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 04 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=309363)

Kraco
Sat, 05-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Episode 5 - HS (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=311642)

- -- - - -- - -

This episode surprised me positively. I was fully expecting them to censor some of Sako's antics from the anime, or at least mellow them, but it seems they all made it through. For some reason I found those scenes really funny. They are guns, so they won't be killed by getting shot at, which removes any tragedy from scenes like that. Last but not least, I can't claim Sako being Finnish wouldn't make me root for her, as villainous as she is. It's made all the better by how good she is.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 05-05-2012, 07:57 PM
I hope Ichiroku breaks Sako into tiny little pieces for shooting Sig like that. I like crazy villains, but not when they are petty and insecure. It is not cool being insane, but being cool despite being insane is what makes a good villain.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-05-2012, 11:35 PM
I hope Ichiroku breaks Sako into tiny little pieces for shooting Sig like that.

Same, though from the preview, it looks like it might be the other way around.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-12-2012, 11:46 AM
HorribleSubs - Episode 06 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=313596)

Kraco
Sat, 05-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Man, I had such hard time not being a manga prophet when I was reading your comments up there. I didn't hate Sako at any point, so I had no such sentiments after that head shot, but perhaps it's exactly because of that why I found your rage all the more hilarious, considering it only made Sig cuter, especially when she was pouting.

Now that the arc is over, looking back at the whole tournament, the Sako and Galil team's level of fighting skills were quite well above the rest, which makes it all the sadder she needed to leave. She only lost because she was fighting a totally different war from the rest. She wasn't interested in winning the tournament as much as beating the current leader in a humiliating manner. That's a huge handicap she gave herself. It would be easy to say she lost because of arrogance, but since without that arrogance beating Ichiroku would have only yielded winning the standard exam war, it would have meant nothing to her. Well, at least Galil is happy either way. Though Galil staying behind means Sako will now be all alone, wherever she went...

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-13-2012, 08:43 PM
I would never say I was glad Sig got shot, but I will say that she recovered nicely.

I haven't forgotten how she kept shooting Funco after the round ended, so I can never like Sako.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-14-2012, 05:16 PM
I hate Sako, especially with that tacked on "redemption" scene. It just felt unnatural and stupid. I would have hated her less if she kept being insane and evil.

Kraco
Tue, 05-15-2012, 02:44 AM
I hate Sako, especially with that tacked on "redemption" scene. It just felt unnatural and stupid. I would have hated her less if she kept being insane and evil.

What tacked on redemption scene? Her behavior was consistent and straight-forward from the beginning till the end, of course within the bounds of the limited time she stayed in the show. She targeted M16 when we saw her for the first time, but withdrew when Sig appeared. During the middle matches she got personally interested in FNC (the interest in M16 being of the deposing kind). At the very end she lost to M16 and so she did what she could with FNC before leaving, and in doing so actually managed to beat Sig (though whether she knew that or not is unknown).

It's not Sako's fault if FNC as the primary main character is so forgiving.

You simply want to keep hating her. Don't try to come up with flimsy excuses you don't need.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-15-2012, 03:01 AM
Her behavior was consistent and straight-forward from the beginning till the end, of course within the bounds of the limited time she stayed in the show

I don't know about that. She took pleasure in Funco "Usagi" -chan during the match, that's for certain. But then she pumped her full of bullets... and next episode decides she needs to apologise so passionately kisses her.

Seems pretty schizophrenic.

Kraco
Tue, 05-15-2012, 03:43 AM
So, in your opinion suddenly kissing someone you have hardly traded any words with before counts as an apology? You ought to be careful out there, Bill. If you accidentally (or purposefully) bump into a woman in the streets, she might take a dim view of you kissing her passionately out of the blue as an apology. The cops will be no more understanding, either.

I might be inclined to agree on inconsistency if she truly had apologised in a normal manner and looking like she meant it. Now it looked like she merely used it as a pretext to get closer to Funco to steal the kiss. I have no doubt she derived some sadistic sexual gratification from shooting at her back then. The kiss wasn't that different, though less physically painful for Funco.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 05-15-2012, 05:46 AM
@Kraco - I think that you have a bias towards her. I dislike Sako because of really obvious and simple reasons that most people would understand.

The tacked on redemption scene is also glaring. She suddenly accepted her defeat and moved on? How is that consistent with her insane personality?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Kraco: I agree that a kiss is not a usual way of thanking someone (though it's a welcome form of reward for males.. usually...). But..you know, Sako and normal don't belong in the same sentence. I have no idea how much she wanted to make FNC feel better with that kiss, and how much of it was just for her to get off with.

Kraco
Tue, 05-15-2012, 07:04 AM
@Kraco - I think that you have a bias towards her. I dislike Sako because of really obvious and simple reasons that most people would understand.

I most certainly do have. Actually I also think she's a horrible person (though a good gun like these eps showed), but I didn't dislike her. I might have disliked if they weren't guns, though. But since they are guns, things are different. In the end she only left behind good things: She gave Sig a batter hair style. Just from the whole tournament's point of view, she and Galil undoubtly raised the bar. Most importantly: Ichiroku was a real bitch herself who wouldn't have given Eru the time of day as soon as she learned they were in the same team, thinking Eru worthless. She gleefully left her behind to fight alone. Only after facing the superior force of Sako and Galil she realised the error of her ways and made up with Eru.

But do I see you complain about M16? No. That makes you as biased as I am.

The tacked on redemption scene is also glaring. She suddenly accepted her defeat and moved on? How is that consistent with her insane personality?

Uh... Yes, it is? The very first time we saw her, she withdrew as soon as she realised Sig had the upper hand. When the last match ended, Sig was again aiming at her, as well as a few other guns. It was much worse than before. In your bias against her you are also accusing her of things we have no idea of. The fact she waited until this war to beat Ichiroku and didn't attack her in a dark alley means she's more like a proper dojo challenger; she's going from school to school beating the current leaders. Nothing's saying she wouldn't accept defeat when it's hammered down enough.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-15-2012, 07:38 AM
She gave Sig a batter hair style.

Indirectly, yes. I gather Sig had to see a hairstylist or a used a hair straightener to fix it.

Just from the whole tournament's point of view, she and Galil undoubtly raised the bar.

Perhaps. Sig was obviously the top of the school performance-wise, so the duo were only targeting the most popular idol of the school rather than the top sharpshooter, so beating M16 in the manner that she did doesn't really mean much.

The shooting is also very inconsistent in this show to the point where I can't say who is better than another other than Sig > all. The graph from a few episodes back talking about their respective ranges might give an indication of skill. Sako could snipe the hair off Sig all that distance away but couldn't hit M16 or Eru all the other times.

Most importantly: Ichiroku was a real bitch herself who wouldn't have given Eru the time of day as soon as she learned they were in the same team, thinking Eru worthless.

I wonder. She praised Eru when she brought the flag, but I would say the most critical moment was when M16 versed Aug and Taiwan. It was during that fight that she realised her reliability and performance wasn't always great. If Eru had been there to bring the flag that match, things probably would have turned out the same.

I might have disliked if they weren't guns, though. But since they are guns, things are different.

Why do you view them differently based on that? I see them as personalities and sentient beings all the same. The fact that they're guns to me just means they can't die (but I wonder if they can be destroyed), so it means you can deal a lot of damage (along with the pain that comes with it) with a lower risk of permanent damage.

Kraco
Tue, 05-15-2012, 08:26 AM
You wonder too much.

Sniping also isn't a skill of crucial usefulness in the arena they were using. There was plenty of cover plus they needed to be mindful of their own flag all the time. Sig was an outsider all the time, thus able to pick her place and time completely freely, not to mention nobody expected her to do anything. You give her too much credit anyway. For all we know M16 could be better than her in a fight like that where sheer shooting skill doesn't mean everything. Ichiroku and Eru even won by quite unconventional means that had absolutely nothing to do with shooting skills. Besides, Sig might be good but she doesn't have the kind of active and brash charisma Sako was looking for in her opponent.

I don't consider them humans. They don't even consider themselves such, and think their teacher is somewhat troublesome for forgetting they are guns. They only got the bulletproof vests so that it wouldn't hurt so much. So Funco, for example, was never in any real danger. It looked really bad but was more akin to some vigorous harisen beating in a more traditional comedy.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 05-15-2012, 04:26 PM
I find it funny how you argued against my dislike for Sako by saying that I don't complain about Ichiroku.

Also, didn't the kiss fix something for Funko? I remember her saying that something got fixed right after it.

BTW, I hate bullies, and I hate horrible people.

Kraco
Tue, 05-15-2012, 05:20 PM
I find it funny how you argued against my dislike for Sako by saying that I don't complain about Ichiroku.

I don't think there's anything funny about it. I used it to point out that while I'm positively biased in favour of Sako, you are negatively biased against her because you only concentrated on blaming her despite Ichiroku doing her own fell deeds in the background. You even hoped Ichiroku breaks Sako into pieces right after Ichiroku bullied Eru out of the classroom in tears. That's highly two-faced treatment, which speaks of a bias. However, I'm not going to blame you for having a bias, but you ought to realise it yourself, just like I admitted being biased.

Also, didn't the kiss fix something for Funko? I remember her saying that something got fixed right after it.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. If a kid hits their toe against a table leg, they may cry and complain like it's the end of the world, but give them an ice cream and they will forget the pain as if it never happened. For all we know, it was an equivalent effect for Funco.

BTW, I hate bullies, and I hate horrible people.

I would have never guessed!

shinta|hikari
Tue, 05-15-2012, 10:19 PM
The funny thing is, I never claimed I wasn't biased. The last part of my previous post was a clear admission of bias. The very fact that I hate something is biased. I am honestly surprised at how far you are taking a simple clash in opinion as if there is something right or wrong about it.

Kraco
Wed, 05-16-2012, 02:29 AM
Oh, well, in my opinion hating something for a good reason isn't a bias. Hating or liking something for extraneous reasons is. I mean, it'd be useless to watch anime, or any fictional live action, if they didn't generate any feelings, that is, serve as entertainment. You can't call all those feelings biased. Hating a bully like Sako wouldn't be biased. However, only hating her and forgiving or even rooting for Ichiroku would be biased, because Ichiroku was behaving only marginally better.

And sure I'm taking it far, because I enjoyed this conversation. With our dwindling user base, good anime discussions are getting few and far between.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 05-16-2012, 10:50 AM
I guess if it is just for the sake of discussion I can tag along.

I think I see where you mistook my comments as bias of the type you are referring to. Just to be clear, I don't like Ichiroku. I cringed each time she called her partner junk. The only reason why I wanted her to trash Sako was because at that point she was the only one who can. I would much rather have Sig do the honors.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-16-2012, 11:00 AM
I would much rather have Sig do the honors.

Sig.. Mmmmm.

I don't really see the practical point of removing your socks so you can steady the recoil with your bare legs.

But I like it.

Kraco
Wed, 05-16-2012, 11:01 AM
I would much rather have Sig do the honors.

It would have been nice to see Sig's performance in such a fight, not only at sniping. Sako+Galil vs Ichiroku+Sig could have been the ultimate conventional fight (meaning not needing to resort to carrying the opponent's flag around to win).

But then again, I probably took the fights in this show far too seriously after the horrendous disappointment that Jormungand turned out to be.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-16-2012, 11:06 AM
It would have been nice to see Sig's performance in such a fight, not only at sniping. Sako+Galil vs Ichiroku+Sig could have been the ultimate conventional fight (meaning not needing to resort to carrying the opponent's flag around to win).

Apparently they rolled the last tournament, and M16's been blowing the earlier rounds on her own. That should have been the queen-team that Sako+Galil needed to beat, yes.

I did like that they were strong enough to each take one side of the lake when they played against FNC. It really does show their (apparently) superior skill over teams that perhaps don't just prefer teamwork but rely on teamwork.

It'll always be Sig>FNC>Eru>all for me.

Eru scored some major points for me this episode. Her determined face spelled "I'm a shitty gun, but I'll still own you!"

shinta|hikari
Wed, 05-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Funko is surpisingly skilled. I did not expect that bounce shot that she did. If she partnered up with Ichiroku or Sig, they might have won without the technicalities.

Kraco
Wed, 05-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Funko is surpisingly skilled. I did not expect that bounce shot that she did. If she partnered up with Ichiroku or Sig, they might have won without the technicalities.

Impossible to say. Funco doesn't seem to possess the kind of battle savviness that Ichiroku clearly showed. I'd call that water surface reflect shot momentary brightness and luck more than anything, considering how she lost to Sako so pitifully right after it. But clearly she's no failure, though, she just happened to face an opponent too ruthless and capable.

Galil was so much a dog of war that she likely needs an unhesitating leader to perform well, but when she has one, I reckon she pulls through with courage.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-19-2012, 11:13 AM
HorribleSubs - Episode 07 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=315508)

Kraco
Sat, 05-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Somewhat less exciting after the jungle fight. I'd prefer the show to return to fighting action soon, but the preview didn't give much hope in that respect. But then again, this wasn't all about fighting from the beginning, so I guess it makes sense.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Sig's hairclips look like neko-mimis. That's more than enough, with FNC topping everything off.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-26-2012, 08:57 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 08 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=317439)

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-02-2012, 08:19 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 09 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=319579)

Kraco
Sun, 06-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Things got even more real than in the swamp battle. I was sad to see Galil being carried off so early, but on the other hand the scene with Fujiko more than made up for it.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Best jailbait episode I've seen in a while, though it's mainly limited FNC (largely), Sig (somewhat) and HK. Fujiko on the other hand.. :3

I thought Galil was a part of this at first, but if she's taken out of commission, perhaps not.. unless she was responsible for spreading the idea of purchasing a squid cup so the group could have been lured out to get shot in the first place.

I had hoped the Japanese teacher would be more useful. They made the point of him having a perfect stance and all in the first ep, so I don't want to see that potential go to waste. What happens to the personification (eg, purple-haired FNC) when the teacher picks up the gun and uses it? Does she simply disappear?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-09-2012, 11:18 AM
HorribleSubs - Episode 10 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=321607)

Kraco
Sat, 06-09-2012, 12:24 PM
That was also the last episode of the show. For whatever reason it also deviated from the manga (though that started already in the previous ep). I can't begin to guess why. They might have wanted to redeem Sako a bit, but that doesn't explain the changes towards the end. Regardless, as usual, it only made it worse.

I can hardly call this is an outstanding show by any system of measurement, but it was absolutely entertaining.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-10-2012, 05:39 AM
I'll be missing my weekly dose of FNC/Sig and even Eru.

We didn't even get an exposition on who "they" were. And what is the most important thing for a gun?

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Commie - Upotte BD OVA (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=366187)

I'm not even sure this episode is entirely legal here

Kraco
Wed, 10-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Aside from a couple of very short scenes, that could have been a fanservice episode of any average show. I don't have anything against fanservice as such, but I'd have rather watched an episode having something to do with guns and shooting, this being a heavily gun related show, after all.