PDA

View Full Version : Movie: The Hunger Games

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Sat, 03-31-2012, 08:09 AM
http://static.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/hunger-games-poster_404x598.jpg
IMDB (www.imdb.com/title/tt1392170/)

Hunger Games left me hungry for blood... my own blood
Can anyone out there honestly tell me they enjoyed this movie that I just watched....? Just so that I can tell you how endlessly vapid your head is just like I told everyone who said I should watch this waste of film.

It was like eating cake for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. By that I mean there was no down time.... never took a second to let you and this Katniss chick catch up to what is happening/just happened in the story. Right when you think they're going to have a scene where they talk for more than 1minute they throw you into another 1 minute conversation after another.

Yeah it was relatively exciting and it keeps your interest for the most part. But you're always getting new things thrown at you before you have time to reflect on the other new shit that just happened. More people, more ideas, more places, but none of it ever gets rolled out into its own thing.

I don't mind the lack of explanation for, well just about everything, but if you're going to have someone competing in the games and we're following her story then why wouldn't they have a part where they explain the fucking thing she's competing in? Do they not tell her anything? I guess not since she did seem kindof confused when it started. Soooo fucking talk about that, make that a thing to feel invested in so it makes the audience more nervous for her.

Who wrote this script? If I had to guess I'd say it was done by a committee of the fangirls of the book and they just threw in all their favorie scenes and no one could decide on what the best bits of it were so they just threw in all of em together.

What was the point of having that singer guy in there whats his name the black dude....? He essentially had the same role as Harrelson except he's not as important. So many scenes that seems like they shot twice as much for them and they had to cut the movie to shit just to get it down to under 2and1/2hours. Really should have skipped so many things and instead have a part of the movie where the characters actually can develop an arc in their story.

The end of my review will be quick and erratic in honor of this piece of shit movie:

-Every time something interesting happens the camera man goes into seizures. But the director thought it would be more suspenseful to leave in the seizing cameraman's work apparently even tho you cantevenfuckingtellwhatshappeninghalfthetime. (Director's note: cameraman Joe choked on his own tongue and died, but as he went down he shot a glorius fight scene between blur1 and blur2, worth it)

-She's apparently supposed to be some badass hunter chick who is not just skilled but also smart, yeah? Well why the fuck when you have someone chasing you, literally 30 feet behind you, why in the hell would you climb a tree? You would keep running and stay low in some bushes or something. Not higher up out into clear daylight in a tree without any fucking leaves on it. And then when her brilliant go-to plan would have worked... really the only time it woulda worked... when the dogs were chasing her, she just keeps running. Facepalm.

-She has so many chances to shoot everyone in the fucking face but she just sits there watching them.....

-They never explain why or how people started to team up like that. I get the 2 trained killers from the same district being together but then they have like 3 other people with them. But uhhh weren't these people trying to kill eachtoehr 3 minutes ago? When did they get the time to have a nice little chat about the pro's and con's of joining forces. We'll never know cause cool lets just keep the camera on her the entire time even if it means we have no idea what the hell is even happening half the time. OH WAIT WE DO CUT TO PEOPLE IN A GIANT COMPUTER CONTROL ROOM THROWING TREES AND FIREBALLS AT PEOPLE THRU THE COMP!!!! WHY THO???.. i thought theyr supposed to be fighting eachother and uhhm wasn't hiding and staying alive a tactic she was gonna use?? Nope fireballs.

-If you're going to have a film about people fighting to the death, show the fighting to the death part. And actually have the main girl do something badass...... not one of the kills were tactful. The only interesting death was delivered by mother nature for fucksake when a chick ate some poison berries.

So overall I give this 2 big floppy donkey dicks out of 4. The acting was good and thats really it. So much ineptness in the writing and pacing that I was patiently awaiting the end and praying they would off themselves. That would have been a good ending. Nope we need to make 2 more, or however many more books they want to ruin and cram into 2 hours.

I could see this being an entirely different child of adaptaton if they had gone the smart route and made this into a series for showtime or anyone. This 1 movie would have been more than enough for the first season. In fact it felt like I was watching one really long, "on the last season of the hunger games", summary where you have no sense of the time passing as it just flies past.
That reminds me.... SUNDAY BABY!!! GameOfThrones' triumphant return Sunday at 9. Can't possibly be more hyped~

TL|DR- You have a fat vagina.

darkshadow
Sat, 03-31-2012, 11:49 AM
My polar opposite mini review I wrote like a week ago:

Just saw The Hunger Games,

I'll start straight of the bat saying that I'm not a big fan of books, especially when it concerns young adult fiction.
Though after seeing the trailers I became intrigued.
In The Hunger Games the story is centered around "The Capitol" and 12 districts; The Capitol is basically home to the super rich and the people of the 12 districts are their glorified slaves, whom th...ey need for resources and labour.
I an attempt to rebel a war broke out and the 13th district was destroyed in the process; to provide a reminder to that rebellion, prevent it from happening again, and show how "generous" the capitol is, they started these "hunger games".
Now the trailer explains the rest so just watch that.

I went in with the expectation that this would be a great movie and I was not disappointed; I'll just keep it short with saying that even though I saw a lot of things coming, I still thoroughly enjoyed the story.
The pacing was just as excellent, I actually looked this movie up when I came back home and saw that it apparantly lasts for 142 minutes, I could've easily sat through another hour of it.
The acting had some rough edges here and there, but mostly it was spot on; I expected nothing less from its cast (stanley tucci is always a plus..).
Jennifer lawrence looked hot, but she was still believable; not like a supermodel huntress surviving in a jungle.

I can't say a whole lot about the effects. The "flames" in a particular scene looked ok, though it didn't really take away from the scene itself, I still thought it was pretty awesome; the capitol itself however looked really good, it's just a shame we didn't get to see more of it.
Overall it's more the cinematography which made it come together nicely; all scenes were shot very well, aside from the action shots, which were too much "jason bourne" shaky-cam...

Even with some obvious plot developments and "young adult" clichés, I really enjoyed The Hunger Games; the interesting story and the meld of genres (think of district 9+minority report+in time+battle royale) make me look forward to the sequel planned for next year.

Carnage
Sat, 03-31-2012, 01:15 PM
Everything is tl;dr, but I generally hear its the Twilight of Battle Royal.

Death BOO Z
Sat, 03-31-2012, 03:20 PM
I saw it today, was nice.

felt a lot like battle royal, had some Truman Show vibes, and the Hulk dogs, and some bits from Sliders.
still liked it. despite some missing bits (did the black fashion designer die? why wasn't he in the victory scene? why did the mentor and the #1 zone guy share a look in their intro?) and economy that didn't make any sense.

best part was the flaming dress, a friend said she'd wear a dress like if she had one, I said I'd wear that dress if she had one.

edit: 3500 posts(!)

Y
Sat, 03-31-2012, 03:23 PM
A lot of this rambling post seems like you missed the point of several storyline elements. You were incredulous at the game masters throwing fire at Katniss, saying the kids were supposed to be fighting each other. Obviously the game masters were shaking Katniss out of her secure hiding spot and leading her into conflict with the other kids. But really, the point of the game master's meddling is to reinforce the point that the Hunger Games are not about kids killing each other - they are a symbol of the government's control and oppression, and the games are innately about the government vs the oppressed peoples, with the government always winning.

You complained about her poor strategy in climbing the tree, but shit, she didn't get killed now did she? Staying down and getting run down by half a dozen stone cold killers doesn't seem like a better plan. Hide in the fucking bushes? Really? And the fact that she doesn't just run around killing people like a psychopath isn't a plothole, obviously.

Some of your complaints are more valid, like the story being an endless parade of set pieces, and some are just boring retreads (for god's sake, it's obvious at this point that the majority of film viewers can get enough visual information out of "shakey-cam" style cinematography, you can stop the empty bitching about how unintelligible it makes a scene) or nonsense (of course the film is not going to have hard R style violence, it's an adaptation of a young adult book, don't knock the movie for failing to accomplish something it never set out to do).

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Sat, 03-31-2012, 08:33 PM
First point, alright fair enough.

But the tree grievance stands. Apparently being up in a tree makes a protective bubble appear that deters the trajectory of all arrows/knives/anything from reaching you. Also if anyone is surrounding the tree under you they suddenly can't think of a better plan besides sit there. Weren't they only using the guy Pete or something to track and find Kat? So when the find her in the tree in a just and sane world he would have gotten sliced in half especially since Kat is there to watch.

One thing I'm not just bitching bout but am genuinely confused and wish they'd explained it. But I'm assuming you read the book so... how is it that the alliance formed at the start in the midst of all the bloodshed and chaos? Did they take a mandatory tea break and decide they felt like blindly trusting eachother and turning their backs to their enemies. You would think especially the 1st district badass wouldn't possibly go for such a thing since he could simply just slaughter them all on a whim. As I think about it, makes more sense since he isn't the brightest and prolly cant hunt and isn't accustomed to gorilla warfare in the woods so much so maybeee.... but still how did they even start such a dialogue? Doesn't make sense.

darkshadow
Sat, 03-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Teaming up obviously gives you a surviving advantage, why do you think Rue saved katniss? I'd do the same and then just duke it out at the end/stab you in the back depending on how familiar I am with you; the enemy of your enemy is your friend, mutual interests benefit both parties.

Y
Sat, 03-31-2012, 09:01 PM
One thing I'm not just bitching bout but am genuinely confused and wish they'd explained it. But I'm assuming you read the book so... how is it that the alliance formed at the start in the midst of all the bloodshed and chaos? Did they take a mandatory tea break and decide they felt like blindly trusting eachother and turning their backs to their enemies. You would think especially the 1st district badass wouldn't possibly go for such a thing since he could simply just slaughter them all on a whim. As I think about it, makes more sense since he isn't the brightest and prolly cant hunt and isn't accustomed to gorilla warfare in the woods so much so maybeee.... but still how did they even start such a dialogue? Doesn't make sense.

Firstly, it's just logic that results in them teaming up. The reason anyone would team up in this game is the same reason anyone teams up in Survivor or other reality shows that also only have one winner - it keeps you from being eliminated until the alliance breaks down, and you've got to assume you'll be able to turn that situation into your favor easier than going it alone.

Second, the reason the kids from District 1 and 2 teamed up is explained by them being "Career" tributes, or kids that train specifically to do well in the Hunger Games. Presumably this includes noticing the fact that a group of heavily armed allies killing everyone else significantly increases your odds of success. The reason they got hanger-ons in their alliance as well is because the alternative to accepting their alliance was being immediately, brutally murdered. I don't think there's any reason to assume they only began thinking about alliances once the game had already started, or they would be hilariously stupid.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Sun, 04-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Well thats like, your opinion man. You seem to know exactly what it would be like to be in such a situation. However if you ask me in the midst of a bloody brawl where people are being slaughtered every way I look Im not so sure I'd have the time to accept or offer an alliance. Even if I did, think about that... you're offering up yourself lets say youre the toughest cunt in the lot. And now you're falling asleep next to people who want me dead. Its a bogus premise. The movie sucked, the logic was vacant, and you can't fly up a tree in half an instant and expect to get away/disappear.

Dark Dragon
Mon, 04-16-2012, 02:49 AM
Not hating on the movie or anything, but this was a pretty fun read (http://www.cracked.com/article_19810_if-hunger-games-was-10-times-shorter-100-percent-honest.html?fb_ref=like&fb_source=home_oneline).

Animeniax
Mon, 04-16-2012, 11:00 AM
I have a newfound respect for Jennifer Lawrence after watching Winter's Bone, so I'll check this movie out.

Sapphire
Thu, 05-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Here's the trailer for the second movie.

I LOVED the first one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jyPnQw_Lqds