PDA

View Full Version : Manga: Magician

dragonrage
Wed, 03-28-2012, 06:37 PM

In the village of Adatt, Re-Mi, the tomboy granddaughter of a local witch, sees the infamous mage Eldermask en route to her hometown. Wanting to find out who is stronger, she sets off to challenge him with his childhood friend En-Jeu, a novice swordsman who is always being dragged around wherever she goes… However in the background there is a war going on between the two powerful nations Teodorl and Aleumhan in order to rule the sea!

magician link (http://www.mangahere.com/manga/magician/)

Quite a few manga or manhwa or whatever you want to call it have been popping up with this style. The chapters are short so you don't really get a great feel from a single chapter but when read back to back it's pretty interesting. Just wanted to know if anyone else was reading it. I did do a search and didn't find a topic on this.

Augury
Wed, 03-28-2012, 11:15 PM
I've been following this one. No idea what the author wants to do with the plot though... although having an evil (?) protagonist is certainly different from a lot of other stories out there.

dragonrage
Wed, 03-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Eldermask isn't evil, just ruthless when he has to be. He has been alone for over three hundred years and he knows leaving people around can and will bring trouble for him and impede his goal.

The way I figure it there are three main forces, Eldermask, the guy that looks like him and the King that is tired of being control by the guy that looks like him. There is going to be a major clash between all three at that promised day that is quickly approaching. Not sure if this is going to end in a minor scuffle or might bring the manga to a close, most likely a minor scuffle with major injuries. My reason for saying this is En isn't any where strong enough to accomplish his goal of revenge but you never know.

Eldermask might be looking for the secrets to immortality so he can kill the other guy. But you are quite right there is not much to go on from what has been said so far. There is no clear plot, just hints of what might be.

Kraco
Thu, 03-29-2012, 02:35 AM
I've been reading this for a long time (relatively speaking). It's a rather interesting mix of very little originality and quite entertaining characters. Of course without Edermask this would be nothing. I'm glad Iremi hasn't managed to curb his ruthlessness, at least totally.

Augury
Thu, 03-29-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm following five korean web comics (others being Tower of God, Noblesse, Layers, and Chess Isle), and 3/5 of them have very slow-moving stories. I think it's clear that Eldermask and En have their goals in Magician, but it just seems to take a really long time for anything to happen. Perhaps a better word here is that the story isn't focused -- there are several plot threads but each is crawling towards resolution.

I think Eldermask is searching for information about immortality for a more personal reason that hasn't been introduced to us yet. He was surprised when he was told that the other immortal looks exactly like him, so I don't think Eldermask is targeting him.

I'm actually more interested in seeing development of Iremi's magical abilities, or some sort of structure / explanation of how spells work in their world. So far we've seen that magicians have a certain affinity, such as fire, lightning, or nature, but hardly anything in terms of spell acquisition, casting costs, spell possibilities, etc.

dragonrage
Thu, 03-29-2012, 05:46 PM
I think Eldermask is searching for information about immortality for a more personal reason that hasn't been introduced to us yet. He was surprised when he was told that the other immortal looks exactly like him, so I don't think Eldermask is targeting him.

I'm actually more interested in seeing development of Iremi's magical abilities, or some sort of structure / explanation of how spells work in their world. So far we've seen that magicians have a certain affinity, such as fire, lightning, or nature, but hardly anything in terms of spell acquisition, casting costs, spell possibilities, etc.

I did at first think that Eldermask search and goal was pertaining to his own being (namely finding a way to live a normal life; grow old etc). But since he is already seemingly immortal, but still gets wounded and has never had a life ending injury it has led me to believe that his search is pertaining to what happened when he almost destroyed the country. The guy that looks like him certainly know about him and is and has been searching for him and on some level he does know about this, since the whole seeing eye thing. All this leads me to believe it is about the way he became the way he is now and the guy that looks like him is certainly tired to all of that.

Iremi's control over Eldermask is comical and the personalities blend well I don't really think she has any desire to really get stronger as of now, she is already pretty monstrous.

If you like the style maybe you should check out Green Boy. It's another boxing manga (for some reason I seem to like them) but it is pretty good nevertheless.

Augury
Fri, 03-30-2012, 02:20 AM
That's possible too... we'll find out eventually.

I'll check out Green Boy.