PDA

View Full Version : Blasts from the Past: Movies

Animeniax
Sat, 02-11-2012, 07:05 PM
This thread is for movies you've seen recently that are older and don't deserve their own threads or necro-ing threads but someone might care to read a review about before wasting 2 hours watching it.

I just saw Underworld, the first one, and man what a terrible terrible movie. They've been showing it on HBO probably to hype up the new 3D movie in theatres, but I think anyone who sees the first one won't bother seeing any of the sequels.

I think it fits with the tired genre of action films starring non-athletic, non-action type females in the starring role of the badass killer. Kate Beckinsale fits this archetype perfectly, which is to say terribly. It would appear from the movie that her only vampire ability is to survive drops from tall heights, as the only other power she demonstrates is the ability to fire 500 rounds from an 18-round magazine.

I'd say it's 2 hours of mindless fun, but it wasn't funny or fun to watch poorly CGI'd werewolves fight vampires with no special powers, so they just shoot guns at each other the entire movie.

Rating: D-

Animeniax
Sun, 02-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Probably not that far into the past, but I just watched Hereafter with Matt Damon.

Moving story that really makes you wonder about life and death. Thought there was a serious plot hole though. Damon's character has the ability to talk to the recently deceased through their living relative, which has ostracized him into a lonely existence because who wants to date a guy who can talk to their dead relative to learn private information about them? But the hole is, this is only a problem if the person he's dating has a close relative who has died recently. So why doesn't he just date a person who hasn't had any deaths among close relatives lately? Movie solved. Instead they have another way for him to find love which supports the other major character in the movie.

Rating: B-/C+

Animeniax
Tue, 02-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Watched The Hunting Party about the search for a Serbian war criminal by a group of journalists starring Richard Gere and Terence Howard. Kind of disappointing, considering I checked it out because Diane Kruger is in it for all of 5 minutes. The premise is ok, execution not so much. Kind of silly that 3 reporters venturing through hostile backwoods towns in Serbia and they don't die from it. I won't spoil the ending.

Rating: C-

Animeniax
Wed, 06-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Watched Haywire, whose entire drawing power was based on the hotness of a former female pro fighter. Not sure how they got all these big name actors to sign on to the production, maybe because Steven Soderbergh directed.

The movie was terribly slow, unoriginal, and uninspired. The action sequences were poorly done, and the hero took forever to finish anyone off, mainly because she kept forgetting she's a 160lb female fighting 200lb guys. Pretty bad all around. I think the worst part was the background music, which just made the story plod along.

Rating: F-

Abdula
Wed, 06-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Hey. I see you supported a thread all by yourself. Reminds me of Munsu's efforts in the old days. I don't have anything to contribute since I don't really watch movies and I don't really care to give my opinion about most things, hard to believe I know. I would however like to get your opinion on the movie Basic. Its stars Travolta and Sam Jackson and is one of my absolute favorite movies.

Y
Thu, 06-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Haywire is a quite good 2011 action movie and I'm not sure how it belongs in the old movies thread or deserves that rating. Carano's physicality brought a crisp, natural feel to the action sequences, two of which were quite memorable (the scenes against Tatum and Fassbender) and Soderbergh wisely shored up any weaknesses in Carano as a leading woman by putting her aside a cornucopia of talent. Also I found the scene where she drives in reverse along the snowy trail really great because it doesn't look impressive at all on film, but when you think about it doing that is virtually impossible. I certainly enjoyed the film despite the banal plot.

Animeniax
Thu, 06-14-2012, 08:30 AM
@abdula: I haven't seen Basic in its entirety but I don't remember liking it all that much from the part I saw. I'll add it to the Netflix queue and watch it in full and post a review here.

@Y: I'm a fan of Carano's as a fighter, but not sure she has the chops for acting or as an action star. The fight scenes had some uniqueness and realism but were dissatisfying because it's a female fighting men. I wouldn't compare them to the fight sequences in Bourne movies which were a lot more refined and impressive.

I felt the attempt to surround Carano with big name talent back-fired as they mostly seemed to be fluff and had roles with zero character development and no depth. I imagine that was part of the point, shadowy government types whose background and allegiances you can't be sure of. But those roles could have gone to less pricey talent for the same impact and the money could have been spent on special effects or story writing.

The driving scene was thoroughly disappointing. The driving backwards part was impressive in a real world sense, but for a Hollywood chase scene it was very dissatisfying considering the shit you've seen in movies like Ronin and the Bond and Bourne movies. Add in that she got busted at the end of a very short chase by hitting a deer and it was laughable all around.

Y
Thu, 06-14-2012, 01:36 PM
@Y: I'm a fan of Carano's as a fighter, but not sure she has the chops for acting or as an action star. The fight scenes had some uniqueness and realism but were dissatisfying because it's a female fighting men.

You're a class act, Animeniax.

Animeniax
Thu, 06-14-2012, 03:33 PM
You're a class act, Animeniax.

Why thank you! Seriously though, I've seen her fight women for real and barely hold her own. She got crushed in her last pro fight but the she-dude she fought was manish and later got busted for cheating with testosterone. You could see in the movie that she struggled to do "action" sequences. She's not nimble or fast. She should go the same route as Steven Seagal and use moves meant for slower and clunkier people.

And don't forget, she was fighting trained killers/martial artists, so it was even less realistic for her to beat them.

Splash!
Sat, 06-16-2012, 03:56 PM
I felt the attempt to surround Carano with big name talent back-fired as they mostly seemed to be fluff and had roles with zero character development and no depth. I imagine that was part of the point, shadowy government types whose background and allegiances you can't be sure of. But those roles could have gone to less pricey talent for the same impact and the money could have been spent on special effects or story writing.

This. For a very decent cast, the roles they were given didn't amount to anything.

Also as an action move, it was quite dull. Usually one would try to cover up a weak story line with flashy action sequences. In this case, the action was kinda plain. I am sure some would have appreciated the 'realism', but I did not find it as entertaining as the usual high octane stuff. From what I remember when I watched it in theaters, the soundtrack didn't help either.

fahoumh
Tue, 06-26-2012, 11:54 PM
I watched "The Deer Hunter" the other day...I didn't really care for it. It felt somewhat disjointed and I had trouble caring about the characters.

Animeniax
Wed, 06-27-2012, 01:52 AM
I watched "The Deer Hunter" the other day...I didn't really care for it. It felt somewhat disjointed and I had trouble caring about the characters.

I did that too, watched "the Deer Hunter" well after it's time (I think I saw it 5 years ago) and it was interesting but the characters were so unlikeable and self-destructive. Maybe because we don't know war and its stresses (though we've been at war in the Middle East for 10+ years as a country) we can't relate to the characters or events.

fahoumh
Wed, 06-27-2012, 05:40 PM
I did that too, watched "the Deer Hunter" well after it's time (I think I saw it 5 years ago) and it was interesting but the characters were so unlikeable and self-destructive. Maybe because we don't know war and its stresses (though we've been at war in the Middle East for 10+ years as a country) we can't relate to the characters or events.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Animeniax
Wed, 06-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Yeah, you're probably right.

I think it's like post-apocalyptic movies too. If you had watched them in the 70s-80s when there was a very real possibility that the world was going to end via nuclear annihilation, they would resonate more. Watching them these days doesn't have quite the same effect.

enkoujin
Fri, 06-29-2012, 11:10 AM
This might as well be a generic movie review thread that's not upcoming at this point in time.

I watched a 2009 Indian comedy film called "3 Idiots" the other day. The movie was directed by Rajkumar Hirani and is the highest grossing Bollywood movie in the country and overseas. It tore at my heart several times throughout the movie with its emotional scenes and was pretty funny that you don't have to be Indian or to understand Hindi to enjoy it, so I'd definitely recommend anyone here to watch it.

The film is about three adults, in their 30's, who reminisce about their days in college where they attended a well-known school with a rigorous curriculum with a genius named Rancho. The flashback explored many themes of these well-known schools like suicide from stress, parents forcing their children to carry out their parents' wishes instead of their own and points out the holes of the educational system - how most students are forced to memorize their textbooks instead of application and enjoying the learning, etc.

This flashback happens while these three adults look for Rancho, the genius and close friend, who encouraged them through their hardship and supported them whenever they needed help. While they look for Rancho, more flashbacks play out (the flashbacks is pretty much the main story), they learn uncover a huge mystery about him and crash a wedding.

The only things I didn't like about the movie were its random Bollywood music video scenes that I felt were forced in and the length of the movie (2 hours 45 minutes). The spontaneous Bollywood music video scenes must be something cultural because the Indian nation is obsessed with singing and dancing, so that's acceptable. However, there were definitely some scenes that could have been condensed or omitted from the movie.

Definitely worth a watch and may be a catalyst for one to start watching Bollywood movies. 4.5/5.

Animeniax
Fri, 06-29-2012, 04:09 PM
You're brown, enkoujin?? I wouldn't have guessed it. I find Indian/Pakistani movies are just remakes of western movies but with more singing and dancing. Of course, most Hollywood movies are remakes of material from yellow Asia or Europe.

enkoujin
Fri, 06-29-2012, 07:14 PM
No, I'm Chinese.

And yes, I agree with what you said as well with Indian movies initially. This movie might be an exception because, like I said, it is the most grossing Indian film there is. It's kind of like how a lot of people watched Avatar from different countries outside their niche entertainment and rated it very high because it's a high grossing film.

Give it a try - it's definitely worth your time. Make sure you get it with English subs!

Animeniax
Mon, 07-16-2012, 02:07 AM
Watched The Prestige with Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, and Michael Caine. Excellent movie. So many twists and turns and you'll be guessing how it concludes right up to the end. Christopher Nolan directed. He and Christian Bale make magic together.

Rating: A

fahoumh
Mon, 07-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Never saw that movie...but I may have to check it out now.

I watched Jacob's Ladder a few days ago and I really liked it. It's also one of those movies that have you guessing what's going on up until the very end.

Animeniax
Mon, 07-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Cool, added Jacob's Ladder to my dvd rental queue. I've been looking for some "cerebral" psychological twist type movies. I recently watched Solaris (from 2002) and it was pretty good. I can't wait for Prometheus to be available outside theatres.

If you can recommend any others of the dark and thought-provoking genre, it'd be appreciated.

Solaris
Rating: B-/C+

fahoumh
Mon, 07-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Dark City is the first one that comes to mind; and another good one is The Machinist.

I'm also waiting on Prometheus. I was going to see it in theatres but just never got around to it.

EDIT: Memento is another one I just thought of.

Animeniax
Mon, 07-16-2012, 07:49 PM
I've seen all three of those movies, all good. I'd rate them: The Machinist > Dark City > Memento.

Haha I'm in the same boat with Prometheus. I don't see many movies in the theatres these days. Here's hoping for a good telesync release, though I'd like to see if in all its visual glory on blu-ray.

fahoumh
Tue, 07-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Have you seen The Game? That movie had me guessing what was going on up until the very end.

Animeniax
Tue, 07-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Yeah saw that a while back. Good movie, if you suspend disbelief and enjoy it as a movie. I don't remember too many details but I know the twist.

I probably suggested it already, but check out Moon with Sam Rockwell and Another Earth with Brit Marling. Both excellent movies if you don't mind a plot that takes a bit to develop.

fahoumh
Tue, 07-17-2012, 11:44 AM
I watched Moon and I really liked it. I've never heard of Another Earth but I may have to check it out now.

fahoumh
Wed, 07-25-2012, 11:06 PM
So I watched The Breakfast Club a few days ago because every time I mentioned that I hadn't seen it I got the "I can't believe you haven't seen it, blah blah blah...." reaction. It's not that great a movie and I kind of wish I didn't waste my time watching it.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Wed, 07-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Fuck you Breakfast Club is a classic for a reason.

First watch I didn't love it either. But its a damn good film. Gets better every time.

Animeniax
Thu, 07-26-2012, 12:51 AM
So I watched The Breakfast Club a few days ago because every time I mentioned that I hadn't seen it I got the "I can't believe you haven't seen it, blah blah blah...." reaction. It's not that great a movie and I kind of wish I didn't waste my time watching it.

I haven't seen it in its entirety and don't ever plan to. I think it's dated and way past the time in my life where I could relate to the story or characters. It's good you can now say you've seen it, even if it's to say you didn't enjoy it. I think the remake of the scene in "Not Another Teen Movie" is all you need to get the gist of the entire the Breakfast Club movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQj6HCeXlMg

I watched Closer with Julia Roberts, Natalie Portman, etc. Weird movie about love and relationships in a very Hollywood sort of way. I can't imagine real relationships are anything like this, as none of mine have ever been so convoluted and complicated. Good movie though, probably better if watched while drunk or after a bad breakup.

fahoumh
Fri, 07-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Fuck you Breakfast Club is a classic for a reason.

First watch I didn't love it either. But its a damn good film. Gets better every time.

Ehhh...maybe I just didn't get it the first time around and I could give it another watch.

I haven't seen it in its entirety and don't ever plan to. I think it's dated and way past the time in my life where I could relate to the story or characters. It's good you can now say you've seen it, even if it's to say you didn't enjoy it.
I actually didn't find it too dated as the characters can be transplanted to pretty well any era. I knew at least one of real-life version of everyone in that movie. I got along with most everyone because I didn't really care if they were a nerd, prep, joke, artist, or social outcast; I've always held the belief that people are people.

Actually, in retrospect I can understand the appeal of the movie in how it shows that there is more depth beyond the stereotypical facade of the 5 main characters.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Fri, 07-27-2012, 12:56 AM
And its just a good film. The characters are portrayed well enough for you to sympathize with any of them. Its got humor and drama... even suspense when theyr running thru the halls. Its fun. Certain parts and lines can seem a bit campy or dated but its part of the fun.

What was 'Closer' about can you give a quick synopsis? How'd the relationships differ from those you've experienced??

I saw Apocalypse Now for the first time believe it or not. Really some incredible filmmaking. Never seen Martin Sheen in such a way he was clearly one of the best in his day for a reason. Not sure I liked it as much toward the ending tho after he gets off the boat. It wasn't what I was expecting to say the least.

Animeniax
Fri, 07-27-2012, 01:33 AM
I actually didn't find it too dated as the characters can be transplanted to pretty well any era. I knew at least one of real-life version of everyone in that movie. I got along with most everyone because I didn't really care if they were a nerd, prep, joke, artist, or social outcast; I've always held the belief that people are people.Oh I meant for me since it's been a long time since I've been in a situation where people of different stripes hang out together and get along. At my age, people have generally coalesced into an undifferentiated character type, and labels like nerd, jock, prep, etc were experimental phases they've long abandoned.

@Kagemane:Closer is a relationship movie between 4 people, 2 men and 2 women. Basically each person sleeps with the two members of the opposite sex of the group, and the movie leaves you guessing who will end up with whom. They fall in and out of love/lust with each other and torment each other over who gets to be with whom all the way to the end of the movie. I guess my relationships have been a lot less exciting because they've all been monogamous.

fahoumh
Fri, 07-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Oh I meant for me since it's been a long time since I've been in a situation where people of different stripes hang out together and get along. At my age, people have generally coalesced into an undifferentiated character type, and labels like nerd, jock, prep, etc were experimental phases they've long abandoned.
Oh, I get you. Yeah, high-school and, to an extent, university character types do tend to fade after school is finished but I have heard from more than one person that office-culture is very clique-y like high school.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Fri, 07-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Yeah but under the highschool / fitting in nonsense theres a real human story behind all of it. Thats what makes the movie so good, they realize at the end they can all relate to each other despite being so vastly different and that theyr all motivated by the same few basic things.

Animeniax
Fri, 07-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Watched Harold and Kumar 2, it's a better movie than the first, but in ways more frustrating as well. I find Kumar to be so unlikeable because I can identify with Harold (since I'm yellow Asian) and I personally wouldn't hang around someone who caused me so much grief, even anything nowhere near as bad as being sent to Guantanamo prison. But the movie overall was funny and enjoyable, and an improvement over the first one.

darkshadow
Fri, 07-27-2012, 03:43 PM
This thread should really just be renamed to "shitty movie reviews by ani" since you seem to have a very vague understanding of what qualifies as 'blast from the past'.

Animeniax
Fri, 07-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Cry me a river, crybaby. This thread is for any movie that isn't currently at the theater. H&K2 is from 2008. Sorry that's not far enough in the past to not give you something new to whine about.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Fri, 07-27-2012, 11:54 PM
"blast from the not so distant past"

Animeniax
Sat, 07-28-2012, 12:05 AM
Yesterday is the past. Shit, 5 seconds ago is the past. Movies come and go... if they aren't in the news right now, they're in the past. That's how Hollywood sees it.

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-28-2012, 03:32 AM
The thread title confused the shit out of me when I first saw it, thinking it was backward. So I'm going to review Blast from the Past.

This comedy from 1999 is a pretty good one. Brendan Fraser and Alicia Silverstone are funny, and have a number of good gags, but the real reason to watch it is Christopher Walken and Sissy Spacek. He's still obsessed with living in the fallout shelter that's been built over (being an inventor), but his wife has slowly been going insane for the last 35 years, and resorted to drinking cooking sherry. The two of them steal the movie whenever they're on screen.

Animeniax
Sat, 07-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Did you see this movie recently or are you just recounting from when you saw it? This is one of those movies that I've only seen part of while flipping channels, but I might have to see it in its entirety. I remember the days when Alicia Silverstone was the "it" girl in Hollywood, then she disappeared. I've seen her recently on Children's Hospital.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Sat, 07-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Ahhh really? Damn. I was kinda hoping we wouldn't see her for a while then suddenly she'd end up doing porn.

Tasteful porn, but porn.

Animeniax
Sat, 07-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Who knows, maybe she did some porn. But based on what she looks like now, I doubt you'd like what you saw.

I think she settled down to family life and out of the limelight for a while, though imdb shows she's taking more roles lately. She's not chunky, but definitely hasn't aged gracefully and looks all of her 35 years of age.

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Did you see this movie recently or are you just recounting from when you saw it? This is one of those movies that I've only seen part of while flipping channels, but I might have to see it in its entirety. I remember the days when Alicia Silverstone was the "it" girl in Hollywood, then she disappeared. I've seen her recently on Children's Hospital.
It was on TV recently, but I've seen it a few times before.

fahoumh
Thu, 08-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Watched The Prestige with Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, and Michael Caine. Excellent movie. So many twists and turns and you'll be guessing how it concludes right up to the end. Christopher Nolan directed. He and Christian Bale make magic together.

Rating: A
I finally watched this movie and WOW. I had it kind of figured out before the ending but I still thoroughly enjoyed it, nonetheless. Thank you very much for the recommendation; I will definitely be suggesting other people check it out.

Animeniax
Thu, 08-02-2012, 10:21 PM
I finally watched this movie and WOW. I had it kind of figured out before the ending but I still thoroughly enjoyed it, nonetheless. Thank you very much for the recommendation; I will definitely be suggesting other people check it out.

Yeah I know what you mean, it's a pretty awesome movie. I wasn't sure I'd care for the subject matter, but it was intriguing and kept me guessing. I didn't figure out the ending, it was just too weird a scenario in my mind to comprehend until they revealed it.

darkshadow
Fri, 08-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Just saw Dark Knight Rises again, still good.

Animeniax
Fri, 08-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Just think how much you could accomplish if you tried something new.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Fri, 08-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Oh fuck off, that film deserves two watches. You sour bitch.

Animeniax
Fri, 08-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Ahh a simple reply from a simple mind. Too bad you missed the subtle dig of ds's post. Someday you'll catch up, but by then it will be too late.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Sun, 08-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Oh yeah I got that. I didn't catch yours tho. Thought you were being your usually superior self, twisting your mustache whilst typing that.

Animeniax
Sun, 08-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Sure you got it, hence your reply. Go back and edit it and it'll be more convincing.

darkshadow
Sun, 08-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Don't mind him kage, he's just projecting now; he's the only one on this forum who's done what he's suggesting.

Animeniax
Sun, 08-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Oh look, ds has made a friend! Won't his mom be happy?

Abdula
Sun, 08-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Ok you three get a room or atleast mention a movie in addition to throwing jabs at each other.

Don't mind him kage, he's just projecting now; he's the only one on this forum who's done what he's suggesting.
No no, I'm pretty sure Bill used to

Killa-Eyez
Mon, 08-06-2012, 07:59 AM
ANYWAY....

Welcome back, Killa-Eyez! You haven't posted in a while... why not join in the fun? blablabla...

Seen Cliffhanger on aug. 3rd, my sisters birthday. Watched the movie cause it was more interesting than the party. Afterwards came Red Heat with Scharwzenegger but decided to mingle and not be a complete douche. Watching Cliffhanger was loads of fun; the movie was muted so me and my brother thought up our own dialogues along with convincing imitations.

Animeniax
Mon, 08-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Cliffhanger was entertaining for what it was, and it came out when Stallone/Schwarzenegger and some other action stars were mass-producing action movies. I wouldn't watch it again unless I was flipping channels.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Mon, 08-06-2012, 01:17 PM
After hearing about Bronson (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172570/) from a few different people saying if I enjoyed Tom Hardy's work in TDKR to check this out. Its about England's most aggravated inmate. Same director who did "Drive" and I gotta say I went without any expectations other than it to be a pretty good film. But I mean I had no preconceived notions as to what the film might be. After seeing Drive it was pretty clear that this director, Nicolas Refn, does not abide to falling into any categories.

I thought it was definitely worth seeing. Its hailed as Tom Hardy's best performance, and I find it difficult to disagree. If you like something different, something with teeth, you'll enjoy this. I found myself trying to get into his head and rationalize certain actions. Why he would snap at different times. I'd say check it out if that sounds good to ya.

I been listening to this podcast lately, 'How did this get made?'. Its Paul Scheer, the bald dude from The League... and two other comedians who you prolly never heard of. But its great, they're funny, and they talk about movies. Well specifically bad ones. They pick a film for them all to watch... and they just dissect every horrible aspect, from lines in the script, to plot holes, everything. Was thinking it'd be kinda cool if we all did something like that on here. Once a week kind of thing. Could be good for a few laughs. If anyone wants to get the ball rolling with a good, bad, film?? Well they're doing probably one of the best, worst, of all time for the next episode, Batman and Robin. We've all probably seen it but going back and watching it for a laugh and writing down some of the worst parts of the movie could be fun. Want to??

Y
Mon, 08-06-2012, 01:46 PM
I never really understood all the hate for Batman and Robin. It's clearly a nod to the campy, lunatic energy of the Adam West Batman and comes off as a triumph in that sense. There are so many riotously funny bits in the movie. Pretty much the only failure is the Alicia Silverstone plot with her and Alfred.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Mon, 08-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Uma Thurman's acting is horrendous. The whole Poison Ivy / Bane plot gets about as much time as the crazy evil doctor at the start who tries to kill her. George Clooney's portrayal leaves a lot to be desired.... "Hi Freeze, I'm Batman". As if he was saying, "Hi sir, I'm your waiter this evening."

And yes batgirl and alfred completely lag an already slow film.

Y
Mon, 08-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Uma Thurman kills in this movie. She's like if Lady Gaga were a Batman villain. I'll just quote the Comics Alliance review of the film:

Chris: Clooney has joked about this movie a lot -- when he was nominated for the Oscar for Michael Clayton, I remember him telling reporters that he was there to pick up his Lifetime Achievement for Batman & Robin -- but he's actually pretty solid in the role. He does a more convincing Bruce Wayne than anyone else. My real high point, though, is Poison Ivy.

Chris: You talked a lot about Jim Carrey attempting to channel Frank Gorshin as the Riddler in Forever, but while I think that's a pretty miserable failure, Uma Thurman is way more successful at trying to be Julie Newmar.

David: She does a great job doing the campy sex-vamp thing. A GREAT job.

Chris: Ivy's better written than Freeze, in that she doesn't have a constant string of puns, and Thurman's delivery is perfect for the material, right down to her faux-sultry Mae West voice.

Clooney in my opinion shares a problem with all the pre-Bale Batmen - he doesn't really know what to do with himself in the dual role and only really sells Bruce Wayne. Michael Keaton had the same problem, and Val Kilmer doesn't really work in either sense. As for Thurman I thought her performance was great. As for how much time her plot had to develop, don't you think that's kind of beside the point? At one point she invades a social gathering dressed as a giant gorilla and then prostitutes herself out using her pheromones. I'm not really worried about her character arc that much.

Animeniax
Mon, 08-06-2012, 03:04 PM
I never liked the campy slapstick treatment of Batman in the original movies and TV series. Considering the dark nature of his creation, his actions, and the criminals he fights, it's ridiculous to make it kid-friendly and fun. The original movies readily steered the stories in that direction, and for that I'm glad they're forgettable.

Y
Mon, 08-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Yeah it's totally absurd to make Batman kid-friendly or funny. You can pretty much just set fire to his 50 year history pre-DKR, as well as most of the modern treatments of Batman. Only emo, brooding Batman allowed!

EDIT:

Chris: It's part of that weird teenager mindset that comics seem to engender in their fans, where they want their stories about flying space aliens and magic wishing rings and guys dressed as Dracula to be serious and mature, because that stuff's not for kids, man. And look: There is no one -- no one -- who likes Year One and Nolan's The Dark Knight more than me, I assure you. But that's not all there is. or all its faults -- and make no mistake, there are many -- Batman & Robin has a consistent internal logic. It constructs a world in which it's okay for all this stuff to exist. Which is exactly what Nolan does in his films, albeit with a completely different idea of what "making it okay for this stuff to exist" actually means.

Animeniax
Mon, 08-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Yes because all comics should be geared towards the entire 10-81 year old audience to ensure no one is left out. I'm surprised you don't raise a fuss that there are almost zero non-white characters in the entire Batman universe.

Y
Mon, 08-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Yes because all comics should be geared towards the entire 10-81 year old audience to ensure no one is left out. I'm surprised you don't raise a fuss that there are almost zero non-white characters in the entire Batman universe.

Your first troll post was on-point but I'm honestly lost at how you thought this was supposed to be effective.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Mon, 08-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Uma Thurman kills in this movie. She's like if Lady Gaga were a Batman villain. I'll just quote the Comics Alliance review of the film:

Clooney in my opinion shares a problem with all the pre-Bale Batmen - he doesn't really know what to do with himself in the dual role and only really sells Bruce Wayne. Michael Keaton had the same problem, and Val Kilmer doesn't really work in either sense. As for Thurman I thought her performance was great. As for how much time her plot had to develop, don't you think that's kind of beside the point? At one point she invades a social gathering dressed as a giant gorilla and then prostitutes herself out using her pheromones. I'm not really worried about her character arc that much.

Then you aren't interested in it as a movie in a whole you're just enjoying it for what it is. Its flawed and thats obvious, but if you ignore the flaws its a fun film. I loved it when I was younger sure, and I still don't hate it or anything, but it be lying to say the movie isn't lacking. There's plenty to pick apart and laugh at.

Bat nipples for one. I dont care how campy you're going for, bat nipples are inexcusable.

I couldn't agree more with you Y. I for one love Batman Forever and the Animated Series and will continue to. But even as a kid Batman and Robin was a let down compared to its predecessor.

Y
Mon, 08-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Then you aren't interested in it as a movie in a whole you're just enjoying it for what it is.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

EDIT:

An actual reply.

Its flawed and thats obvious, but if you ignore the flaws its a fun film. I loved it when I was younger sure, and I still don't hate it or anything, but it be lying to say the movie isn't lacking. There's plenty to pick apart and laugh at.

I'm not "ignoring" the flaws. They just don't sink the movie. Are people "ignoring" the flaws in The Dark Knight when they say it was a great film? After all, Gordon's plan to capture the Joker makes absolutely no sense and relies on him having precognition.

Thurman's performance isn't a flaw in any way, for the record, she absolutely kills it.

Bat nipples for one. I dont care how campy you're going for, bat nipples are inexcusable.

We just disagree here again. The joke here is turning Batman's crimefighting suit into a fetish statement, a parody of the childish machismo of the comic book hero, and boy does it work. The fact that the first 6 shots of the movie are, in sequence, Clooney's ass crotch and nipples, then Chris O'Donnell's ass crotch and nipples, is hardly a coincidence. It's a fucking STELLAR joke. No lie.

I couldn't agree more with you Y. I for one love Batman Forever and the Animated Series and will continue to. But even as a kid Batman and Robin was a let down compared to its predecessor.

Sims/Uzumeri put forth the argument that B&R is actually the best pre-Begins Batman film. I can't buy into that completely, but it's a damn sight better than Forever. The villains in Forever are trying to one-up each other by aping elements of Nicholson's Joker and it just doesn't work. Kilmer fucking sucks. The movie is stuck between the faux-seriousness of the Burton films (Returns is actually crazier than Batman and Robin) and the camp of Batman and Robin, and I think it's easily the least entertaining Batman film.

The animated series is just a triumph in all respects. The better episodes of the show really fire on all cylinders and work way better than any of the original four films.

Animeniax
Mon, 08-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Like I said, I never liked any of the campy kid-friendly treatments of Batman, and yes that's throughout the 50 year history of the character. And pre-DKR, he's had plenty of dark episodes in his comics, which were some of the most memorable and well-loved arcs. All the pedestrian stuff has long been forgotten, in the comics and movies.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Mon, 08-06-2012, 03:27 PM
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

You said it doesnt matter that Poison Ivy had 0 time to develop. And balance that against all the time she spends sitting on a fucking flower or seducing people and it feels less and less like a batman flick. I haven't seen it in years I need to watch it again but I remember it having almost nothing to do with Batman and more to do with Ivy/Freeze/Batgirl. Clooney needed more screen time and a better director who wouldn't just tell him to be himself.

Y
Mon, 08-06-2012, 03:53 PM
You said it doesnt matter that Poison Ivy had 0 time to develop. And balance that against all the time she spends sitting on a fucking flower or seducing people and it feels less and less like a batman flick. I haven't seen it in years I need to watch it again but I remember it having almost nothing to do with Batman and more to do with Ivy/Freeze/Batgirl. Clooney needed more screen time and a better director who wouldn't just tell him to be himself.

Burton's Batman is pretty much completely owned by the Joker. Hell, The Dark Knight was a Joker movie. I don't have any problem with the film having the villains as a centerpiece - they're the dynamic element of the film next to the hero's static existence anyway. I think Ivy and Freeze play off each other well, with her the sexpot and him the devoted husband. Now if you want a problem with Freeze, it's that he has no reason to be "evil" except the movie requires him to be. He just wants to cure his wife and is stealing shit to get money to do that, and you'd think he could just start a donation drive or something.

Like I said, I never liked any of the campy kid-friendly treatments of Batman, and yes that's throughout the 50 year history of the character. And pre-DKR, he's had plenty of dark episodes in his comics, which were some of the most memorable and well-loved arcs. All the pedestrian stuff has long been forgotten, in the comics and movies.

en.wikipedia.org/List_of_Batman_comics_Animeniax_has_read - Page Not Found - 0kb

Animeniax
Mon, 08-06-2012, 05:54 PM
en.wikipedia.org/List_of_Batman_comics_Animeniax_has_read - Page Not Found - 0kb

Year One, Death of Robin, Knightfall, The Dark Knight Returns, the Cult, etc... all amazing arcs exploring the darker side of Batman, none of them kid-friendly or campy. Ask any comic fan and these arcs will come to mind, not any of the run of the mill superhero tripe that you seem to enjoy.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Mon, 08-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Yeah but stuff like The Killing Joke, while having a very dark plot, its also very over the top with weird baby midget people and psychotic amusement parks. You can't say you like comic books if you only enjoy the 'realistic, darker' stuff.

Anyway 2 movies that I am passionate enough about to post in here to recommend to anyone who hasn't seen them, and they're actually blasts from the past...

Rushmore (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128445/)

Wes Anderson's masterpiece. Jason Schwartzman's coming out party, and Bill Murray at his finest.

and

The Station Agent (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340377/)

Peter Dinklage, aka Tyrion from Game of Thrones, gives a stoic performance. Brilliantly subtle film.

Animeniax
Mon, 08-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Yes but for a particular comic character like Batman, there's nothing wrong with liking only darker stuff that fits his story and character. Save the light-hearted feel-good silly stuff for characters geared towards that kind of storytelling. On the same token, serious stuff for a goofy character like Groo or Lobo was out-of-character and didn't make for good storylines.

I'll second the recommendation for Rushmore. Great movie. I liked The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou better as Anderson's best work, but Rushmore was his freshman effort and a great movie.

Y
Tue, 08-07-2012, 02:27 AM
Year One, Death of Robin, Knightfall, The Dark Knight Returns, the Cult, etc... all amazing arcs exploring the darker side of Batman, none of them kid-friendly or campy. Ask any comic fan and these arcs will come to mind, not any of the run of the mill superhero tripe that you seem to enjoy.

Actually, pretty much no one nowadays talks about how great arcs like Knightfall, the death of Jason Todd, or The Cult are, but you'd know that if you hadn't just Googled those titles off of a list of famous Batman books. Modern Batman writers don't fall into the trap of horseshit like Knightfall, confusing dark and grim with adult storytelling. Frank Miller followed Dark Knight Returns up by parodying himself in Dark Knight Strikes Again. The death of Jason Todd was a marketing stunt, the issue bookended with a phone number to call to either have Jason die in the explosion or barely survive - clearly not just a shitty gimmick but the sign of mature storytelling.

Obviously modern Batman writers like Grant Morrison, Neil Gaiman, and Paul Cornell don't give a hoot about having fun with their Batman comics. If only I read them I'd understand that.

fahoumh
Tue, 08-07-2012, 08:02 AM
I finally watched Wrath of Khan a couple nights ago and I understood why my friend reacted with, "YOU HAVEN'T SEEN WRATH OF KHAN??" when I told him I hadn't seen it. It's a pretty good movie.

Killa-Eyez
Tue, 08-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Seen Full Metal Jacket yesterday. Loved the way it starts but gets a little slow throughout. An okay movie but wouldn't watch it again. Could be my aversion to war/army movies.

Animeniax
Tue, 08-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Actually, pretty much no one nowadays talks about how great arcs like Knightfall, the death of Jason Todd, or The Cult are, but you'd know that if you hadn't just Googled those titles off of a list of famous Batman books. Modern Batman writers don't fall into the trap of horseshit like Knightfall, confusing dark and grim with adult storytelling. Frank Miller followed Dark Knight Returns up by parodying himself in Dark Knight Strikes Again. The death of Jason Todd was a marketing stunt, the issue bookended with a phone number to call to either have Jason die in the explosion or barely survive - clearly not just a shitty gimmick but the sign of mature storytelling.

Obviously modern Batman writers like Grant Morrison, Neil Gaiman, and Paul Cornell don't give a hoot about having fun with their Batman comics. If only I read them I'd understand that.

Cool to see the arcs I grew up reading and remember best are also on lists of famous Batman books. The death of Robin demonstrates that Batman's readership are either older and looking for more gripping and adult themes in Batman, or they are a bunch of sick kids interested in death and graphic violence. The Joker beats Robin near to death before that, surely a feel-good romp of a read for all the kids.

I finally watched Wrath of Khan a couple nights ago and I understood why my friend reacted with, "YOU HAVEN'T SEEN WRATH OF KHAN??" when I told him I hadn't seen it. It's a pretty good movie.Probably the second or third best of the Star Trek movies to me. Undiscovered Country is my favorite, followed by the whale one where they travel back in time.

Y
Tue, 08-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Cool to see the arcs I grew up reading and remember best are also on lists of famous Batman books. The death of Robin demonstrates that Batman's readership are either older and looking for more gripping and adult themes in Batman, or they are a bunch of sick kids interested in death and graphic violence. The Joker beats Robin near to death before that, surely a feel-good romp of a read for all the kids.

That isn't a "gripping, adult theme". It's a ploy to rubberstamp editorial's thinking on removing an unpopular character. Jason Todd was so inessential a character that his crowning moment is to get killed in a crass marketing stunt (and then promptly replaced with another Robin).

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3n7a6Gkos1rq1vcto1_500.png

This is the strong, mature storytelling of a Choose Your Own Adventure book, with some "adult" violence thrown in. That doesn't make the storyline any better, just more bloody. It's a shame that was, and is still, confused for being "adult".

Animeniax
Tue, 08-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Life and death of humans are gripping, adult themes. I'm sure your wiki search will out-do my memory in terms of recounting the lead up and impact of the death of Robin story, including the circumstances behind deciding to kill off Robin, but the storyline when I read it was more adult and compelling than what you're reading on wiki, though it was more than 20 years ago.

Y
Tue, 08-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Zero effort troll, you just shittily copied my own accusation.

Animeniax
Tue, 08-07-2012, 09:10 PM
When beaten, cry troll.

Y
Tue, 08-07-2012, 10:29 PM
When beaten, cry troll.

It's perfectly fine for you to only appreciate dark, brooding, emo Batman stories (it isn't, but you having dumb opinions is a guarantee on any subject). It's just hilarious when you try to pretend like there's some kind of consensus agreeing with you in the industry. When you call fun, lighthearted stories "pedestrian and forgotten", it makes it obvious you're just willing to lie about subjects you know nothing about to win an internet discussion. The state of Batman comics (which you don't read) is important enough for you to bullshit and lie about. God damn.

Animeniax
Tue, 08-07-2012, 10:57 PM
It's perfectly fine for you to only appreciate dark, brooding, emo Batman stories (it isn't, but you having dumb opinions is a guarantee on any subject). It's just hilarious when you try to pretend like there's some kind of consensus agreeing with you in the industry. When you call fun, lighthearted stories "pedestrian and forgotten", it makes it obvious you're just willing to lie about subjects you know nothing about to win an internet discussion. The state of Batman comics (which you don't read) is important enough for you to bullshit and lie about. God damn.

Not sure about "the industry," but meaningful fan reaction has always been geared towards the darker and more adult storylines for a character like Batman, which was my point from the beginning. The kid-friendly goofy storylines are forgettable for pretty much any superhero character, even fluffy ones like Superman and Spider-man. The more meaningful, often more mature and dark storylines are the ones that people remember (this seems like an obvious fact, yet somehow you dispute it).

The easy-going stories may be fine for an occasional light-heartedness, but they are forgettable. The storylines I listed were from off the top of my head, and from comics I haven't read in 20+ years but still come to mind when thinking of Batman. Honestly can you name some arcs with funny or light-hearted stories from the many years of Batman comics? Be honest, don't google that shit.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Tue, 08-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Yeah don't use google like he did Y. Those were off the top of his head.... from 20 yrs ago....

especially batman year one (2011).

Well not to disrupt your little back and forth but what I remember from 15 yrs ago is the batman animated series. And the one episode that I can still see clear in my minds eye or whatever is when the Joker was in like a toy factory? Or was it just his hideout?? Anyway he was riding around on giant oversized toys and they end up going on a runaway train ride. Probably one of the more light hearted episodes.

Animeniax
Wed, 08-08-2012, 12:13 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_year_one:
"Year One", later referred to as "Batman: Year One", is an American comic book story arc written by Frank Miller, illustrated by David Mazzucchelli, colored by Richmond Lewis, and lettered by Todd Klein. It originally appeared in issues #404 to #407 of DC Comics' Batman comic title in (1987).

Like I said, those were off the top of my head even after 20 years because they were some of the most memorable and amazing comic stories I can remember, and they've stayed with me this long because they are so memorable. Even my favorite comics like Archer (Valiant) and X-men didn't have stories that I remember so well.

Y
Wed, 08-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Yeah don't use google like he did Y. Those were off the top of his head.... from 20 yrs ago....

especially batman year one (2011).

Year One is a Frank Miller book from the 80s.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Wed, 08-08-2012, 12:42 AM
ahhh I was thinking of batman earth one which recently came out. a thousand apologies.

but the ones 'meniax listed are definitely the ones i remember seeing when I too googled top batman stories a while back. whether thats coincidence or not, you be the judge.

Animeniax
Wed, 08-08-2012, 01:13 AM
Weird, I just googled top Batman stories and was surprised only Year One and Dark Knight Returns are near the top of the lists I saw.

Y
Wed, 08-08-2012, 01:13 AM
As an avid Batman reader, I'd read the usual suspects, but I actually never read "The Cult". It's absolutely dreadful. Batman is wildly out of character and the script as presented rarely strikes the right tone, not to mention a bunch of ridiculousness in the plot like the goes-nowhere thread about Deacon Blackfire's longevity to the fact that Batman uses guns and drives a monster-truck Batmobile at one point.

I know Jim Starlin, the author of this run, mainly from his Marvel work and his stuff after Infinity Gauntlet drops off markedly, and he really didn't know what he was doing here. I mean Deacon Blackfire's army kills the Mayor, the entire city council, some national guard troops who show up, kills a shitload of cops, some reporters both on the street and in one case on live television... at one point the script is so desperate to sell them as a threat that the TV pundits are discussing treating Blackfire's Gotham as a rogue state or bringing in nuclear weapons, not to mention the whole thing began when he totally shitted on Batman. The fact that multiple people are ludicrously killed by a homeless guy pointing a sniper rifle out of a sewer grate is hilarious. This is a crazy quasi-immortal preacher with an army of homeless drug addicts he trained in the sewer, mind you. It's the worst kind of schlock honestly.'

EDIT:

Despite this conversation this should probably have gone in the Dark Knight Rises thread as at least it's vaguely applicable.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Wed, 08-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Yeah that sounds just about awful.

I was never the biggest comic reader but last few years I been checking out a few more popular ones. Marvel civil war was alright. Reading Scott Snyder's works on Batman right now and been loving it.

Got anything you could recommend there Ser Y??

Animeniax
Wed, 08-08-2012, 01:43 AM
As an avid Batman reader, I'd read the usual suspects, but I actually never read "The Cult". It's absolutely dreadful. Batman is wildly out of character and the script as presented rarely strikes the right tone, not to mention a bunch of ridiculousness in the plot like the goes-nowhere thread about Deacon Blackfire's longevity to the fact that Batman uses guns and drives a monster-truck Batmobile at one point.

So you've never actually read the comics, just a synopsis from a google search, but you're condemning the story? Gotcha. How much of the angst and disapproval is genuine Y, and how much is bleed-through from the author of the snippet you read?

Y
Wed, 08-08-2012, 01:50 AM
Yeah that sounds just about awful.

I was never the biggest comic reader but last few years I been checking out a few more popular ones. Marvel civil war was alright. Reading Scott Snyder's works on Batman right now and been loving it.

Got anything you could recommend there Ser Y??

Certainly. If you want to read the great modern Batman story, get Grant Morrison's Batman R.I.P., which leads into Final Crisis and the first 16 issues of Batman and Robin, all of which have been collected in trade I think. You should probably read the classics (Year One, DKR, Morrison's "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth", and maybe Loeb's pre-Hush stuff like Long Halloween and Dark Victory). As for non-Batman stuff the list would just go on and on. Just start by reading everything Grant Morrison ever wrote, literally.

So you've never actually read the comics, just a synopsis from a google search, but you're condemning the story? Gotcha. How much of the angst and disapproval is genuine Y, and how much is bleed-through from the author of the snippet you read?

You are literally just throwing my accusation of having Googled a list of titles back in my face again. You're kind of stupid as shit to expect anyone to buy into it.

EDIT:

Honestly, do you really not understand I'm the kind of person to download a Batman trade at 2AM and read it just to give it an ugly review? Bitches be trippin'.

Animeniax
Wed, 08-08-2012, 01:57 AM
I'll second the Grant Morrison recommendation, plus most everything by Frank Miller.

Also, the Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE is definitely worth a read. It's pretty dark subject matter, and the art style really makes you feel like you're reading the comic while on acid.

Weird Y, that you're recommending some of the darker material (author and story) from Batman after spending the last page or so giving me shit.

Honestly, do you really not understand I'm the kind of person to download a Batman trade at 2AM and read it just to give it an ugly review? Bitches be trippin'.You literally just typed, "I actually never read 'The Cult'" before stating, "it's absolutely dreadful."

Y
Wed, 08-08-2012, 02:01 AM
You literally just typed, "I actually never read 'The Cult'" before stating, "it's absolutely dreadful."

You cannot be this fucking stupid. I never read it before now, obviously.

Animeniax
Wed, 08-08-2012, 02:04 AM
You cannot be this fucking stupid. I never read it before now, obviously.

It sounds like you read it with the mindset of giving me shit, which is unfortunate. It means you didn't give it a chance from the beginning, and you probably tore through it hoping to post a scathing review to prove your point. That's too bad, since you missed out. Worse, you've now convinced KnJ it's not worth a read, if for no other reason than to spite me. Bravo.

And me claiming you google shit is no more or less valid than your claim I do the same, so suck it.

Y
Wed, 08-08-2012, 02:05 AM
Blanked this. Terrible sequence of posts.

Abdula
Wed, 08-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Wow. Ani you're really getting the rust off huh, this is like Animeniax circa 2007 and Y is Y as usual. Now I have some reading to do, thanks guys.

Animeniax
Thu, 08-09-2012, 03:23 AM
Saw Punisher War Zone, gotta say, the Punisher just doesn't work as a live action character. He's basically just a guy shooting people... lots and lots of people, but there is little pizzazz or uniqueness to his killing. No special weapons or tactics, no appearance of his supervan with all its gadgets and weaponry (would have made for a great chase scene), and pretty straight-forward storylines in both movies so far. He's a poor man's Batman, which takes a lot of the fun out of vigilantism.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Thu, 08-09-2012, 04:21 AM
I liked the first one where he's more sad than angry. Not really like comic book Punisher but was a good film. Thomas Jane is aight.

and I haven't seen that one but heard a really interesting "How did this get made?" podcast where they have the director on. She was this really hip indy director who had done Green Street Hooligans and couldnt get the movies she wanted so she took this. Really interesting listen bout a director's expectations compared to the end product. She actually takes you step by step thru getting interviewed and a lot of the process. Also, patton oswalt is there to say awesome things.

Animeniax
Thu, 08-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Wow, kind of surprised that was directed by a woman. It's very graphic and casual in its violence. I have Green Street Hooligans in my to-watch queue, and I've read it's also very violent. I liked the characterizations and story in the 2nd movie better, it was more like the comics.

Ryllharu
Thu, 08-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Wow, kind of surprised that was directed by a woman. It's very graphic and casual in its violence. I have Green Street Hooligans in my to-watch queue, and I've read it's also very violent.
Wow, another hilariously ignorant comment from Ani. Color me shocked.

American Psycho? Female director.
Pet Sematary? Female director.
The Hurt Locker (not a very accurate movie, but point stands). Female director.
Boys Don't Cry (and its violent gang-rape scene)? Female director.
We Need to Talk About Kevin (quite violent and rather psychotic)? Female director.

By the way, a lot of the drama films directed by women have much more brutal representations of rape.

But don't let facts get in the way of your beliefs.

Animeniax
Thu, 08-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Wow, another hilariously ignorant comment from Ani. Color me shocked.

But don't let facts get in the way of your beliefs.

Wow, another pathetic attempt by Ryllharu to make a mountain out of a molehill! Color me very very tired of your bs.

I guess I'll have to elaborate and add disclaimers to every post and write fucking dissertations covering every angle so you won't have something to complain about. But you'll still find something to complain about.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Thu, 08-09-2012, 11:15 PM
I was more surprised they gave a big marvel franchise film to an indy director for her first studio movie.

Animeniax
Thu, 08-09-2012, 11:50 PM
In most ways she did a better job than the director of the first Punisher film, imo. Of course, the screenplay had a lot to do with the failure of the first movie to capture the Punisher story and character the way the second movie did. Even the short "Dirty Laundry" had the wrong feel for the Punisher that I prefer (the one from the comics). It feels too whimsical and softcore.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Fri, 08-10-2012, 02:25 AM
I'm gonna post a bunch of classics I been telling myself to watch forever now. This is how I'm going to get around to choosing where to start; need you to pick one for me? k, ready? go! (or just list them in order of which to go first since im gonna watch em all anyway)

A. Dog Day Afternoon
B. Old Boy
C. Annie Hall
D. idk i have a whole typed up list filled with em... you think of something

Animeniax
Fri, 08-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Definitely watch Old Boy. I've heard the trilogy (same director, related characters, unrelated stories, iirc) is worth a watch, but Old Boy is definitely worth seeing.

Not sure about older movies. I recently tried to watch Serpico (Pacino from the 70s) and couldn't get through it. The acting, the cinematography, the editing, etc, were all very dated.

woofcat
Sun, 08-12-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm gonna post a bunch of classics I been telling myself to watch forever now. This is how I'm going to get around to choosing where to start; need you to pick one for me? k, ready? go! (or just list them in order of which to go first since im gonna watch em all anyway)

A. Dog Day Afternoon
B. Old Boy
C. Annie Hall
D. idk i have a whole typed up list filled with em... you think of something

Go with Old Boy.

Animeniax
Sun, 11-11-2012, 02:44 PM
They're making an American adaptation of Old Boy directed by Spike Lee. I wonder if it's one of those movies that only works if its made in crazy Asia.

I recently watched The Thing from 1982 after finding it on multiple top sci-fi film lists. Pretty cool movie from its time. Not surprisingly, the crew at a remote science outpost are a bunch of disgruntled miscreants who hate their jobs and have very little survival instinct. Still a worthwhile watch that is as much horror as sci-fi.

Grade: B/B-

Ryllharu
Wed, 11-14-2012, 08:24 PM
I watched JCVD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JCVD).

It's something else to see Jean-Claude Van Damme, whom I always viewed as a bit of a joke, tear himself to pieces in a film, breaking down himself and the persona he created in the 90s down to its bare bones...and build himself up as a better person, a better actor. By the end of the movie, he's not just some cliché action star doing the same shit he always does in movies. There is a definite realism to the film, even after it breaks the fourth wall just a bit. That's what makes it so convincing.

With this movie, he showed me he was a real actor. He may still do cheesy movies, but I respect him as an actor now. That's quite the leap from how I used to view him.

It's very rare that a film can change your way of thinking. JCVD does that.

Animeniax
Thu, 11-15-2012, 12:33 AM
I watched JCVD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JCVD).

It's something else to see Jean-Claude Van Damme, whom I always viewed as a bit of a joke, tear himself to pieces in a film, breaking down himself and the persona he created in the 90s down to its bare bones...and build himself up as a better person, a better actor. By the end of the movie, he's not just some cliché action star doing the same shit he always does in movies. There is a definite realism to the film, even after it breaks the fourth wall just a bit. That's what makes it so convincing.

With this movie, he showed me he was a real actor. He may still do cheesy movies, but I respect him as an actor now. That's quite the leap from how I used to view him.

It's very rare that a film can change your way of thinking. JCVD does that.

I started watching JCVD before but couldn't finish it for some reason. I think I read beforehand how it was a bit of a re-invention of himself, and maybe that made me feel like it was a disingenuous attempt to make himself more likable. I liked the set up and his depiction in the story so far, just something lost me along the way. I'll go finish it soon.

edit: watched the whole movie, it was really good. Some really funny moments and a lot of introspective moments on how we treat celebrities and what we expect of them.

Animeniax
Thu, 11-29-2012, 03:27 AM
Saw Tanner Hall finally after waiting for it to be on Netflix for 2 years. Wasn't sure what it was about, just wanted to see it because Rooney Mara is such a beautiful girl. Turns out it's a girls' coming of age movie. Not sure it's worth watching unless you want to see Rooney Mara, or Brie Larsen acting like a trampy high school girl.

Ryllharu
Sat, 03-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Watched The Lookout from 2007. Joseph Gordon-Levitt playing a high-school jock who made a dumbass decision and now suffers from substantial brain damage. He gets caught up in some shit while trying to get over his grief and make a life for himself.

It a good crime movie, though I suppose it is lacking a bit in the character development end of the spectrum, mostly because Levitt's character, Chris Pratt, can't really develop much at all due to his injuries. It's well played, but it didn't blow me away like some of his more recent work (notably Looper) or even stuff like Brick (2005).

All in all, I enjoyed it a lot, and Jeff Daniels is a great supporting character, doing a believable performance as a blind man and Levitt's roommate. Matthew Goode (Watchmen/Match Point) plays a good villain in it too.

Animeniax
Sat, 03-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Seen that movie, it was fairly mediocre and forgettable. I liked the "sexual tension" between Levitt's character and his social worker (the gorgeous Carla Gugino) and his assertion that he'd be able to kick ass on a bunch of stoners, even though he's a pretty scrawny guy.

Ryllharu
Sun, 03-31-2013, 03:23 AM
If that's what you focus on, you've have indeed clearly "seen" that movie. The first 20 minutes before you changed the channel, anyway.

Animeniax
Sun, 03-31-2013, 12:17 PM
Nah that's just all I remembered from a largely forgettable movie and all I cared to post about. Glad you felt it was a worthwhile use of 2 hours of your day.

Animeniax
Sat, 04-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Had Shawshank Redemption on the tv in the background and heard Red claim near the end of the movie that it was the second time in his life he was guilty of a crime. He forgot about all the contraband he smuggled into prison, including drugs.

Archangel
Tue, 07-09-2013, 12:06 PM
I never watched the Godfather III because of how universally bad everyone told me it was in comparison to the other 2, and now i can say they were right.

What a convoluted, poorly acted ( i laughed when i googled the name of Mary's actress ) and just generally poorly executed piece of crap. I hated the ending as well, Michael didn't deserve all of that. He deserved something like his father's death, or at least something quick and painless.

Animeniax
Wed, 10-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Watched Nothing But the Truth, a drama about free speech, journalistic integrity, and how far someone will go to protect both. Admittedly I watched it because I'm on a Kate Beckinsale film binge, but this is a really good movie.

Unfortunately you don't get to see much of her hot body or great hair as she spends most of the movie in a jail jumpsuit and without makeup on. The most satisfying part of the movie is that she shows she has great acting ability. Plus the twist is pretty awesome, partly because you don't really expect there to be one.

Animeniax
Thu, 10-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Watched Special Forces, a French film about a reporter abducted by the Taliban so the French government sends in a special forces unit to rescue her. I know what you're thinking right, what would the French know about military operations? The movie is a pretty straight-forward military-rescue-goes-wrong kind of movie. It runs a little long and many of the fight scenes are commandos running and shooting enemies that they don't even show on screen.

The main reason to see it is Diane Kruger, who is beautiful even as her physical condition deteriorates over the course of the extended rescue mission. Early in the movie one of the commandos asks if the reporter they are rescuing is pretty. Laughable, since she's freaking gorgeous. During the mission pretty much all of the commandos has a "I want to fuck her and then spoon with her" moment. Unfortunately pretty much all of them die through the course of the movie.

Animeniax
Thu, 11-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Watched Brazil by Terry Gilliam after seeing it on numerous top sci-fi movie lists. It's a hilarious movie about a bleak dystopian future. I don't know if it preceded other movies like this or if it followed, as it did have a basic story for such works where the protagonist is a bored cog in the bureaucratic machine who fantasizes about the impossible and what else there is to life. The mastery of the movie is in the little ways that it portrays the absurdities of autocratic rule and a police state (very Monty Python-esque). Well worth a watch.

lelouch
Fri, 11-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Watched almost all 13 seasons of King of the Hill. Unfortunately Netflix pulled it before I could finish. It's about a redneck family living in Arlen, TX, where the main character Hank is your typical hard-working but often too conservative father whose only activity more enjoyable than drinking Alamo beer in his front lawn is being disappointed in his fat, questionably homosexual son. A great watch - highly recommend.

Animeniax
Fri, 11-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Watched almost all 13 seasons of King of the Hill. Unfortunately Netflix pulled it before I could finish. It's about a redneck family living in Arlen, TX, where the main character Hank is your typical hard-working but often too conservative father whose only activity more enjoyable than drinking Alamo beer in his front lawn is being disappointed in his fat, questionably homosexual son. A great watch - highly recommend.It is a good series for the most part. I hated how Hank was such a pussy at times, especially with his boss at the propane store. He started out as more of a no-nonsense kind of guy who stood up for himself. I just found out today that Bobby was voiced by a chick, the same girl who plays Pamela on Louie.

Best storyline has to be the "Returning Japanese" episodes when he and his father go to Japan and he meets his half-brother.

Animeniax
Mon, 12-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Finally watched Gattaca after all these years. I thought for the longest time that the movie was about Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman representing the (physical) perfection of humanity, neither of which I think even qualify for such a discussion, even in their primes. Instead I found a pretty awesome movie that is still relevant to the present and future of humanity. It deals with eugenics and discrimination, but in a way that speaks to those of us who are considered lesser beings because of our lack of physical or genetic attributes. As with most feel-good stories, nothing beats heart and determination.

Bad parts: the "twist" that the detective is Vincent's brother was kinda cheesy, but necessary for the story to tie up.

Animeniax
Fri, 01-31-2014, 12:32 PM
I know I'll get flak since it's a current release, but who cares. Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is a pretty good movie and deserves more attention than it's getting at the box office right now. It's not really anything like what you see in the trailer where it's all "we all have our secrets" and "not everyone is who you think they are." It's actually a pretty straight-forward origin story for the Ryan character that stars later in the Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games. If you know anything about those movies (or books on which they are based) then that should tell you what this movie and its characters is about, to a T. Definitely worth watching if you're into spy action movies.

The only complaint is that (as with most Hollywood work) the main character is misused (out of character) just to give him more screen time. Ryan has too many action scenes considering he's an analyst, not a field operative.

Animeniax
Wed, 05-28-2014, 08:55 AM
Watching Don Jon, which is a fairly entertaining look into the mind of your average playboy 20 something. Joseph G-L does a good job expanding his roles and playing a character I didn't think he could ever tackle back when watching 3rd Rock From the Sun.

What makes me laugh is how they rate Scarlet Johansson's character a "dime" or a 10 (based solely on her looks of course). Personally, I'd rate her a 6 face and 9 body.