PDA

View Full Version : TV: Sherlock

poopdeville
Sat, 02-11-2012, 03:40 PM
I've been watching a newish series by Stephen Moffat on my local PBS station: Sherlock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_(TV_series))

It is pretty good, so I thought I would share. Sherlock is a lot like the darker side of the Doctor. In fact, he explicitly calls himself a "high functioning sociopath" at one point. (A theme Doctor Who explored quite a bit in Seasons 5 and 6). The mysteries are decent enough.

Links are around, or you can watch it on PBS (in America) or the BBC (but you probably would have heard about it by now)

Munsu
Sat, 02-11-2012, 03:47 PM
I've watched all of it and it's great. I hope we don't have to wait 2 years for next season. But this is pretty kickass, the dude playing Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit is Watson, and the guy Sherlock is actually doing voices for that movie too.

gos27
Sun, 02-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Watched it all and it was excellent, can't wait until the 3rd season. Thought the ending on the 2nd season was brilliant, looking forward to see how they go on from where they left off.

Munsu
Mon, 01-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Season 3 has finished airing, so if you guys haven't watched this show yet it's time to get your ass moving. I'm watching the season now, but it looks like this might be the final season. We'll see once I'm done and look around.

Each season is three 2-hour episodes long so it's not much of a time investment.

Animeniax
Mon, 01-13-2014, 10:47 AM
All the seasons are 3-4 episodes long? Are they following the original written works or something? I need to check this series out. I'd prefer a female Watson for the eye-candy, but then there'd be too many comparisons to Doctor Who.

Munsu
Mon, 01-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Three seasons, all 3 episodes long, but each episode is a double episode... so in normal time, each season is really 6 episodes long. I don't know how closely it follow the original works, particularly considering that it's a modern age Sherlock, but it's quite good regardless.

Sapphire
Mon, 01-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Season one and two were freakin' amazing, but season 3 (I've seen eps one & two) seems to have this slow paced slice of life feel revolving around the relationship between Sherlock and Watson with literally 0 other interesting characters. Well, Mycroft got like 2 minutes of attention when they were talking about their childhoods, but it feels boring as hell with nothing at stake.

Hopefully ep 3 is better!!

-

I think it actually follows the original books quite well. Moffat (showrunner of this and Dr. Who) knows what he is doing. Again, seasons 1-2 were quite brilliant.

@Ani: British shows run short like Japanese ones, with the exception of Dr. Who which is like the Sazae-san of the UK.

Munsu
Mon, 01-13-2014, 12:22 PM
Season one and two were freakin' amazing, but season 3 (I've seen eps one & two) seems to have this slow paced slice of life feel revolving around the relationship between Sherlock and Watson with literally 0 other interesting characters. Well, Mycroft got like 2 minutes of attention when they were talking about their childhoods, but it feels boring as hell with nothing at stake.

Hopefully ep 3 is better!!

-

I think it actually follows the original books quite well. Moffat (showrunner of this and Dr. Who) knows what he is doing. Again, seasons 1-2 were quite brilliant.

@Ani: British shows run short like Japanese ones, with the exception of Dr. Who which is like the Sazae-san of the UK.

I've only watched the first episode of season 3, but I get what you mean. It was fun seeing Sherlock back and all that, but there was certainly something missing, a bit disjointed. I'll see if episode 2 recovers a bit for me. Still a good watch regardless, just a bit subpar.

Penner
Mon, 01-13-2014, 01:07 PM
it looks like this might be the final season.

'Sherlock' seasons 4 and 5 already planned out. (http://uk.eonline.com/news/497310/yes-sherlock-seasons-4-and-5-are-planned-out)

^_^

Edit: The first two eps in this season was mostly 'fanservice' eps i guess(still good tho), but the third ep was pretty great (imo).

Munsu
Mon, 01-13-2014, 01:14 PM
'Sherlock' seasons 4 and 5 already planned out. (http://uk.eonline.com/news/497310/yes-sherlock-seasons-4-and-5-are-planned-out)

^_^

Edit: The first two eps in this season was mostly 'fanservice' eps i guess(still good tho), but the third ep was pretty great (imo).

Nice, the third episode was titled "His Last Vow" so I jumped to conclusions.

Sapphire
Mon, 01-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Thankfully, S03E03 totally makes up for episodes 1-2, it's so remarkably rich that it's super hard to believe they packed all this into an hour and a half.

Munsu
Tue, 01-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Thankfully, S03E03 totally makes up for episodes 1-2, it's so remarkably rich that it's super hard to believe they packed all this into an hour and a half.

Done with season 3, and agree, but I actually liked episode 2 quite a bit as well.

And now the long wait for season 4...

toonice714
Sun, 01-19-2014, 09:56 PM
Season 3 airs tonight for the first time for those without bbc one. PBS is airing the first episode tonight for season 3!! W00t!!!!