PDA

View Full Version : Powerpoint presentations

Archangel
Tue, 12-13-2011, 01:14 PM
I got one tomorrow but my powerpoint sucks balls, looks really cheap and shitty.

Any tips on how to jazz it up?

UChessmaster
Tue, 12-13-2011, 01:33 PM
What design are you using? what is it about? can you upload it somewhere?

David75
Tue, 12-13-2011, 01:47 PM
First:
One idea per slide
Second:
Write Big. Done that? Then write bigger!
Third: Got pics?
Fourth:
Got graphs?

That's really all there is about the ppt itself.

The rest is up to you, the guy doing the show.

Speak clearly, not too quickly. Watch people at the very end of the room and try to speak to them.
Do not hesitate to pause for 2 seconds or more at key points.
If you have a powerpoint remote, use the blank screen button when you need attention. Otherwise people will keep staring at the slide and will not even care about your very important point.

if you have time, try watching one or 2 sub 10 minutes TED presentation. That will give you some examples.

Archangel
Tue, 12-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Oh i got the presentation itself in the bag, i'm an amazing speaker. Ideally i wouldn't even need all this crap since i know the material by heart...

Here's what i got so far

http://www.mediafire.com/?7tepalk6ps4ebak

David75
Tue, 12-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Write even smaller if you can, no really, no one needs to read it is your objective?
Titles are ok, it's just the developments that are really written too small.

Would it be possible to follow the colors of the first slide?

Other than that, typical ppt. There's not much you can improve in such a presentation as no one cares and only your added value might be of interrest ;)

Archangel
Tue, 12-13-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm presenting it to a pretty small room though, and only the first 2 rows will be full

Bigger font looks so... cheesy :/

David75
Tue, 12-13-2011, 02:27 PM
You might not know how people have bad vision.
When you're young, usually you either have good eyes or you have good glasses. After that, people tend to not care about their vision or do not regularly have their glasses adapted.

I attend to 2 powerpoint presentation everymonth, everytime people complain they had trouble reading when I have no trouble reading behind a one-way mirror at twice the distance they are...

Bigger font forces you to write more concisely too. And there's too much difference between titles and text.

Also, we get a table, but no graph, no pics. I'm pretty sure there are some statistics that can reflect the 5 levels of gravity in slide 13.

Archangel
Tue, 12-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Even using a huge ass projector? Damn...

I'll work on the size, but in the meanwhile is there any way i could replace those to circumferences in the left with my college's logo?

David75
Tue, 12-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Even using a huge ass projector? Damn...

I'll work on the size, but in the meanwhile is there any way i could replace those to circumferences in the left with my college's logo?

Well, it's been ages since I last used powerpoint (I use opensource software), but there's certainly a way to modify the template.

Janice
Tue, 12-13-2011, 06:04 PM
There are way too many words per slide. You don't want to have full paragraphs, or even full sentences, on any slide. The purpose of a power point is to give visual aid while you speak, not to let the audience read your speech. If the audience is reading paragraphs off your slide, then they aren't listening to what you're saying. You mentioned that you're a good speaker, so cut out everything you're going to SAY from the slides and leave only the base points. I don't know what any of your slides say, but 95% of the words could probably be cut out.

I also think David's recommendation to increase the font size is good. Try including some pictures and vary the format you use on each slide.

Archangel
Tue, 12-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Well it's getting late, i think i'm done. Here's the end result.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bgq166u7rrnkq45

Probably still a little text heavy but i think i added enough images to compensate, especially since those are what i'll be focusing on. The text is just a basis for what i already know.

Thanks for the help, you've all thus been upgraded to bro tier.

David75
Wed, 12-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Font size? But maybe it's the conversion from ms to opensource that changes it?
Next time you need to work on a ppt with someone, try to add a pdf copy so that there's little to no conversion glitches.

Pics? good
Still text heavy

Janice summed most of what I said and more.

Have fun with your presentation!