PDA

View Full Version : Game: Uncharted 3

Animeniax
Tue, 11-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm getting this game bundled with the console today. A buddy at work mentioned that I should play the first 2 games or I'll miss out. I've never been much for video game storylines, but would it be a good idea to play Uncharted 1 and 2 before 3?

Time is definitely a factor since finals are on the horizon. Though Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks are coming up soon.

Marik
Tue, 11-01-2011, 01:45 PM
If you buy the bundle from Best Buy, they throw in the Uncharted Dual Pack for free.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/images/smilies/gameicons/ps3.gif 320 GB PS3 console with Uncharted 3 + Uncharted 1-2 Dual Pack - $299.99 (http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-1312731-10597222?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2 Folspage.jsp%3Fid%3Dpcmcat256400050013%26type%3Dca tegory)

Animeniax
Tue, 11-01-2011, 02:23 PM
If you buy the bundle from Best Buy, they throw in the Uncharted Dual Pack for free.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/images/smilies/gameicons/ps3.gif 320 GB PS3 console with Uncharted 3 + Uncharted 1-2 Dual Pack - $299.99 (http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-1312731-10597222?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2 Folspage.jsp%3Fid%3Dpcmcat256400050013%26type%3Dca tegory)I will forgive you any slight/smack talk you send my way for the duration of time until I complete the trilogy.

RyougaZell
Tue, 11-01-2011, 09:22 PM

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/images/smilies/gameicons/ps3.gif 320 GB PS3 console with Uncharted 3 + Uncharted 1-2 Dual Pack - $299.99 (http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-1312731-10597222?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2 Folspage.jsp%3Fid%3Dpcmcat256400050013%26type%3Dca tegory)

What the fuck? That offer wasn't there a few days ago when I was undecided betwen GameStop and BestBuy. My pre-order is being picked up about now in GameStop... bah. I could have reselled the Dual Pack (bought it when it came out 2 months ago)

Animeniax
Tue, 11-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Best Buy will ship to Mexico, or do they have Best Buys in Mexico, or do you cross the border to visit one? No offense, honest question.

Most specials like this start on Sundays. It is a pretty good deal, a $40 value. I was all set to buy just the console/UC3 bundle from Gamestop. Glad I didn't go to the midnight release last night. Got the super bundle today at Best Buy. Thanks again, Marik!

Uncharted feels like Tomb Raider without the T&A. I'm liking it so far (playing 3 now).

RyougaZell
Tue, 11-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Best Buy will ship to Mexico, or do they have Best Buys in Mexico, or do you cross the border to visit one? No offense, honest question.

Most specials like this start on Sundays. It is a pretty good deal, a $40 value. I was all set to buy just the console/UC3 bundle from Gamestop. Glad I didn't go to the midnight release last night. Got the super bundle today at Best Buy. Thanks again, Marik!

No offense taken. We do have Best Buy in Mexico. They started last year (or was it this year? can't remember). Although I usually cross the border to get my games. Or rather my brother does. I live in the north, but my brother works on the border. I usually ask him to get me books, games and toys (for my nephews and niece).

I would have switch to the deal Marik posted... but my brother was literally on the states getting the bundle from Gamestop. If I hadn't bought the Uncharted Dual Pack a few months ago I would have been pissed to miss the deal. Now? I'm annoyed but whatever.

Animeniax
Tue, 11-01-2011, 11:37 PM
See some people would have called my question a troll attempt. Thanks for answering.

If you've played 3, does anyone feel like they modeled Drake's image after Gerard Butler? It might be a tie-in to a movie version of the game, starring Gerard Butler.

RyougaZell
Tue, 11-01-2011, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't be able to answer your question. I've literally been PS3-less for the past month and a half thanks to a YLOD. I've been collecting games all this time and I don't think I'll reach Uncharted 3 soon. I have this games on the wait list: Yakuza 4 (was playing this when the PS3 died), Atelier Totori, Dark Souls, Uncharted Dual Pack and Batman Arkham Assylum. I estimate I'll play Uncharted around summer at the pace I play.

Animeniax
Tue, 11-01-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm the opposite usually. If given the choice, I'd rather play the relevant games at the time, then the backlog later when there's nothing new out. That way I can engage in watercooler discussions of the game at work. So I started with UC3 and will play UC1 and UC2 over Christmas break.

RyougaZell
Tue, 11-01-2011, 11:55 PM
That's the problem... those games I listed are the ones I want to play already. I have another 4 games for PS3 on backlog, 5 for PSP, 3 for DS, 2 for Wii, 2 for GameCube, 6 for PS2 and 3 for PS1. I buy too many games :S

Animeniax
Wed, 11-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Which PS3 did you have? I hope they've fixed the YLOD issue, which they supposedly made changes to the new slim version to reduce hardware failure. I'm considering getting the Best Buy replacement plan which gives you a 2 or 3 year warranty instead of Sony's 1 year warranty.

MFauli
Wed, 11-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Seriously, donīt buy U3. I hate how video games keep steering in the direction of hollywood-movies. Not just by applying more and more elaborate stories to them, but actually forsaking deeper levels of interaction for the sake of a cinematic presentation. U3 is the epitome of that bs development. Sure, itīs fun the first time youīre playing it. But the next time, itīll be the exact same experience. And the next time. And the time after that.

Iīm not against a focus on plot/story in video games, but at least make the story part of the gameplay, as can be seen in the Mass Effect-games. If I wanna see a movie, Iīll watch one. No need to buy a video game for that, which lets me use the same fist-combo over and over again.

On another note: Donīt forget to buy Zelda: Skyward Sword!

Animeniax
Wed, 11-02-2011, 12:37 PM
You know I had the same complaint about Playstation games (one of the reasons I didn't play Metal Gear 2-4), too much story and not enough gameplay. But when you put it the way you put it, I'm glad I didn't speak out about it. Sounds unnecessarily whiny.

So far there's been enough gameplay in UC3 and not too much storyline. I don't care about replay value with most games because there are other games to play and other things to do, and multiplayer can make a game worth holding on to.

Marik
Wed, 11-02-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm considering getting the Best Buy replacement plan which gives you a 2 or 3 year warranty instead of Sony's 1 year warranty.

Your new PS3 should have included a 30 day trial for Playstation Plus, so I'd suggest getting the Sony warranty. Playstation Plus members get 2 years for the price of 1 and 25% off. So it would be $44.99 for 2 years, instead of $59.99 for 1 year. Also, the Playstation Protection Plan doesn't start until the 1 year warranty that comes with the system ends, so you'll be covered for 3 years.

animus
Sat, 11-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Started the UC3 multiplayer late, and man there's already level 60s and shit in the games I played in. The matchmaking is pretty broken, my team had like 3 level 20s and me (level 6) against 3 people around 40 to 60.

Animeniax
Sat, 11-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Is the multiplayer free-for-alls, deathmatchs, or capture-the-flag? The gameplay in UC3 doesn't give me the impression it would translate well to a multiplayer scenario.

I know they charge the $60 because of multiplayer content but for gamers like me who just want the singleplayer story experience, it's exorbitant.

animus
Mon, 11-07-2011, 10:20 AM
The multiplayer in UC3 is actually quite prevalent. They now have all the trappings of modern day shooters, ie levels, perk unlocking, boosters, etc. and stuff that they missed in UC2 now present,. It has the usual modes, they have their own variant of Capture the Flag. The only thing I don't like about UC3's multiplayer compared to UC2 is that TDM in UC3 lost their weapon modes, like Rocket Arena, Pistol Arena, etc.

The single player is good, but I found it a bit short. I can't recall the exact amount of hours but it was shorter than the one in UC2 by far. I did play UC2 and UC3 on hard for first playthroughs, to preface. The script and writing is top notch, but there's a few head scratchers and things they didn't flesh out before it's over so quickly, imo.

Animeniax
Mon, 11-07-2011, 03:35 PM
I finished SP in about 10 hours on normal, but it was my first game on PS3 so trying to remember controls and getting aim down contributed to multiple reloads in some missions, plus I spent time looking for treasures and enjoying the scenery. Playing through a second time on hard and it's going a lot faster.

With my poor console shooting skills, I probably won't play MP on UC3. Hope I can get decent buyback from Gamestop or find someone to buy it for $40-45.

animus
Mon, 11-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Uncharted 3 has an Online Pass. So if you haven't used it yet, you could probably sell it for 40 to 45 on craigslist. You would probably get 30 at most from another person if you did activate the Online Pass, however.