PDA

View Full Version : Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-12-2011, 12:12 PM
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4325/54102.jpg

Genres: School, Fantasy.

* Based on a light novel series written by Kawakami Minoru (http://anidb.net/cr24066) and illustrated by Satoyasu.

In the far future, humans abandon the devastated Earth and move to the upper world Tenjo. But Tenjo and the law of causation collapse in a war and humans return to the Earth, which has turned into an inhabitable planet except for Shinshu area.

Shinshu is too small to accommodate all the humans, so they duplicate the area and create Juso Sekai in a parallel world. In order to rebuild Tenjo and the law of causation, the returned humans start reproduction of the history from B.C. 10,000. When the reproduction proceeds to A.D. 1413, a war breaks out in Shinshu and Juso Sekai falls onto the original world.

The humans living in Juso Sekai lose their land and invade the original world. People in Shinshu surrender and the land is divided by the invaders from Juso Sekai. They try to resume the history reproduction from A.D.1457, but the update of the history terminates in A.D.1648. A rumor of apocalypse begins to spread the world. -AniDB

Commie - Episode 01 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=251619), Episode 02 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=252061)

-------------------------------------

I'm not sure why I'm watching this, but I am. It's a big load of wtf at the moment.

Kraco
Wed, 10-12-2011, 01:44 PM
The bloody boob massage, the very highlight of the episode, just had to be censored to boost BD sales. Damn those marketing men.

Other than that, I didn't really get what was going on. The emotions on the characters' faces were interestingly drawn, though, in my opinion.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-12-2011, 02:04 PM
The thing I don't get about this show is why students matter, of all things.

Other than that, the whole "world falls into chaos because shit went down" is pretty easy to swallow.

RyougaZell
Wed, 10-12-2011, 10:35 PM
A big wtf series indeed. Watching just for the heck of it. Onto episode 2 right now actually.

animus
Wed, 10-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Are all the students in this class the same age? And if so, are Tori and his sister twins or something?

Or is age just arbitrary in this universe's school system.

neflight86
Thu, 10-13-2011, 12:15 AM
I tell ya, that kid reminds me of Kumagawa from Medaka Box. I keep waiting for him to snap and kill someone every time I see him...

Buffalobiian
Thu, 10-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Are all the students in this class the same age? And if so, are Tori and his sister twins or something? Or is age just arbitrary in this universe's school system.Hmm, I'm not so sure about the age thing except that none are over 18 (or was that the admission age?). No way in hell to tell the age that dango/jelly/blob.My favourite part's where the chick negotiates the offerings with her god. It's simply such a cute deviation from gods that demand offerings instead.

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 10-14-2011, 04:10 AM
Skin-tight body suits and massive tits. My first impression so far.

Kraco
Sat, 10-15-2011, 05:38 AM
Episode 2 - HorribleSubs (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=252643)

- - - - -

I thought the second episode might reveal something, but this show is still as unfathomable as ever. Maybe it's even more so. I wonder if the only consistent part is Touri fondling a different girl's boobs in every ep... But at least it's refreshing how a pervert like him isn't a social outcast but rather people still gather around him.

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-15-2011, 06:16 AM
I'm not too thrilled at a Nagato Yuki clone character...and she's even voiced by the same seiyuu. The other girl is quite a bit more interesting. Quite the sacrifices she's made.

I did like the wordplay that they used to essentially trick the girl into allowing him to grope her.

But yeah, this series makes no sense. The sky-nations fell because of something the ground-pounders in Japan did, so the WHOLE world of sky-nations attempt to take over Japan. What was Japan is our protagonists (or are they the sky-nation Japan?) are relegated to a tiny corner of the world, and mostly they have to live exclusively on their ship. What makes zero sense is that they are restricted to 18 or younger, while no other nation is. Does that mean that their armies too must be under 18, or only that they have to graduate military academy before they are 18? If it is the former, then that's a really stupid restriction. Their best fighter appears to be their teacher. Why would you keep all your veterans off the battlefield? It's only a disadvantage. Unless the other nations are forcing them to do that as part of some kind of reparations/treaty, it is quite possibly one of the dumbest self-imposed restriction of all time, in all fiction.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 10-15-2011, 07:00 AM
I just turn off my brain when I watch this.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-15-2011, 10:19 AM
This is supposedly based off a light novel, and if it is any good, the random rules should make sense eventually. Turning off your brain when watching something that attempts at such a level of complexity may be a waste, even if that attempt ends up a catastrophic failure.

RyougaZell
Sat, 10-15-2011, 11:01 AM
This is supposedly based off a light novel, and if it is any good, the random rules should make sense eventually. Turning off your brain when watching something that attempts at such a level of complexity may be a waste, even if that attempt ends up a catastrophic failure.

Calling this a light novel is kinda an understatement when...

Volume 1: 1300 pages
Volume 2: 2100 pages
Volume 3: 2400 pages

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Calling this a light novel is kinda an understatement when...

Volume 1: 1300 pages
Volume 2: 2100 pages
Volume 3: 2400 pages
The numbers don't even do it justice. If vol. 3 is 2400...then how long is vol. 4?!

To borrow from an AniDB post:

Index 1-19 on left, Horizon 1-7 on right. Horizon started in 2008.
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3864/rhna6e.th.jpg (http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3864/rhna6e.jpg)

RyougaZell
Sat, 10-15-2011, 11:21 AM
The numbers don't even do it justice. If vol. 3 is 2400...then how long is vol. 4?!

To borrow from an AniDB post:

Index 1-19 on left, Horizon 1-7 on right. Horizon started in 2008.
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3864/rhna6e.th.jpg (http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3864/rhna6e.jpg)

Indeed.
I should have added a disclaimer I found that number on a forum. I was trying to find a better source, but didn't manage. I just knew this novels were massive.

EDIT:
According to the same forum where I got the numbers... each 'volume' was separated in several books... kinda like Haruhi's more recent novel was published in 2 books. 4th volume just came out this month in 3 parts.

Volume One has 2 books
Volume Two has 2 books
Volume Three has 3 books
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=106418

境界線上のホライゾンI<上> 543P
境界線上のホライゾンI<下> 771P
境界線上のホライゾンII<上> 905P
境界線上のホライゾンII<下> 1153P (current leader of the thickest light novel)
境界線上のホライゾンIII<上> 737P
境界線上のホライゾンIII<中> 833P
境界線上のホライゾンIII<下> 897P
7 books 5839 pages

Book 8 - Start of Volume 4 - apparently has 670 pages

animus
Sat, 10-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Is the source material really that good or what? Because so far with what the anime is offering, it's not doing anything justice yet.

RyougaZell
Tue, 10-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Episode 3 Commie (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=253743)

I still don't get it

animus
Wed, 10-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Why the fuck do I still watch this. This is like reading Google translated Japanese.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 10-19-2011, 08:34 AM
I think I heard before that this was based on a light novel that was impossible to adapt to anime...

and they were right.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Why the fuck do I still watch this.

1) Boobs
2) Weapons
3) Lots of weapons
4) Big boobs
5) wtf is going on - watch to find out.

All I can grasp is the world is going to shit (or so they think), Horizon died and her soul was used in the P-01 that Tori wants to confess to ... and Tori's side of the story.

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 10-19-2011, 11:05 AM
I have to say I like Tori's outfit. With those sparkling strings.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-19-2011, 11:48 AM
I have to say I like Tori's outfit. With those sparkling strings.

I'm always confused when I see his outfit. It feels dangerous in two quite different ways:

1) Dangerous for Tori because you can so trip/yank one of those and just pull his earings out
2) Dangerous because they also look like ninja-wires.. which are creepy-dangerously-creepy.

Ryllharu
Wed, 10-19-2011, 04:35 PM
What is the word Kimi calls Tori that they translate as "dear brother"? It sounds like she refers to him as "Good Day." It's been driving me nuts.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-19-2011, 08:35 PM
What is the word Kimi calls Tori that they translate as "dear brother"? It sounds like she refers to him as "Good Day." It's been driving me nuts.

I'm hearing "Gute no Tori"

Kraco
Fri, 10-21-2011, 12:33 PM
1) Dangerous for Tori because you can so trip/yank one of those and just pull his earings out

For some reason I can't shake the feeling his a real badass when fighting. I hope we'll get to see some fighting soon so that I can either get rid of that feeling or it's proven true. So, while I had paid attention to the same thing, I tend to think it's no weakness for him.

But then again, I don't really know what to expect from this show. The scenes with the older folks actually make it seem like there's some sense behind all the nonsense the younger main characters are full of.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Commie - Episode 04 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=255419)

Ryllharu
Wed, 10-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Ryllharu's "So let me see if I've got this straight" Horizon explanation post:

- Before the sky nations (that now make up the Testament Union) fell, nations such as Musashi and Mikawa ruled the east (presumed Japan).
- Someone in the east caused the pillars holding up the sky nations to fall.
- As compensation, the sky nations took over the east, exiling the eastern Land Nations out of their places while the "'world' was rebuilt."
- Our heroes live in Musashi, one such mobile nation currently with no land of its own.
- They are visiting the land of Mikawa because they are allies.
- The president Academy superintendent (Sakai) who doesn't officially run the nation (the school council does?), but totally runs the nation is long-time friends with people who live in Mikawa.
- But Honda "Dacchan" (one of Sakai's friends) more or less runs the nation of Mikawa, but Mikawa is actually run by Lord Motonobu (who is wearing a graduation cap).
- Motonobu is the reason that Masazumi is halfway converted into a boy. It was to make a political alliance, but then he cast them aside.
- Motonobu is in charge of the Genesis project, which also relates to why Sakai' friends are starting to go missing.
- Honda "Dacchan" is trying to prove his loyalty to Motonobu, despite the fact that going along with this plan will certainly get him killed.
- The start of the Genesis project is overloading the Platonic Plate reactor, the act of which will destroy Mikawa.
- Overloading a Platonic Plate Reactor looks a lot like what the pillars that used to hold up the sky nations looked like.
- Knowing Mikawa is going to get destroyed, Honda "Dacchan" sends his daughter Futayo away telling her to make her own choices (obviously hoping she goes to Musashi).
- Futayo has opted to remain neutral at this time.
- For some reason, Motonobu wants to start a war with Italy and Spain (both part of the Testament Union).
- This war will give the Testament Union an excuse to invade Musashi.
- Our heroes are about to get invaded.
- Horizon Ariadust's death may have been orchestrated as part of the setup for the Genesis Project.

Addendums:
- Automated dolls are apparently the most badass thing there is, second only to Gods of War (piloted mecha).
- Of our heroes:

+ Toori isn't particularly well known for being anything other than a pervert and in love with Horizon.
+ His sister, Kimi, is deeply concerned about his emotional well being, but plays it off as a brother-complex to others.
+ Mitotsudaira (drill hair) is probably in love with Toori.
+ Tomo (the archer) is probably in love with him too.
+ Suzu is blind, but has various apparatus to make her hearing overwhelmingly superior. Somehow she can hears ghosts too.
+ The two winged girls, Margot and Marga, are lesbians and lovers. They are also the most powerful casters of the bunch.
+ P-01S lives at the cafe, appeared only a few years ago from Mikawa.

Conclusion: Motonobu is evil, and our gaggle of heroes are going to get caught in the middle because of a twisted man's mysterious ambitions.

---------------------------

Kazuno was totally badass. I can only imagine that Musashi [the doll the country is named for, not the nation] is equally badass because others aboard Musashi [the nation-ship] are afraid of her too. Then where does this put P-01S's capability?

Also, the girls in this series are like every one of my anime-related fetishes combined and refined in one girl or another. Also, they all get skin-tight clothing. Also...boobs.

Xelbair
Wed, 10-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Ryllharu's "So let me see if I've got this straight" Horizon explanation post:

- Before the sky nations (that now make up the Testament Union) fell, nations such as Musashi and Mikawa ruled the east (presumed Japan).
- Someone in the east caused the pillars holding up the sky nations to fall.
- As compensation, the sky nations took over the east, exiling the eastern Land Nations out of their places while the "'world' was rebuilt."
- Our heroes live in Musashi, one such mobile nation currently with no land of its own.
- They are visiting the land of Mikawa because they are allies.
- The president Academy superintendent (Sakai) who doesn't officially run the nation (the school council does?), but totally runs the nation is long-time friends with people who live in Mikawa.
- But Honda "Dacchan" (one of Sakai's friends) more or less runs the nation of Mikawa, but Mikawa is actually run by Lord Motonobu (who is wearing a graduation cap).
- Motonobu is the reason that Masazumi is halfway converted into a boy. It was to make a political alliance, but then he cast them aside.
- Motonobu is in charge of the Genesis project, which also relates to why Sakai' friends are starting to go missing.
- Honda "Dacchan" is trying to prove his loyalty to Motonobu, despite the fact that going along with this plan will certainly get him killed.
- The start of the Genesis project is overloading the Platonic Plate reactor, the act of which will destroy Mikawa.
- Overloading a Platonic Plate Reactor looks a lot like what the pillars that used to hold up the sky nations looked like.
- Knowing Mikawa is going to get destroyed, Honda "Dacchan" sends his daughter Futayo away telling her to make her own choices (obviously hoping she goes to Musashi).
- Futayo has opted to remain neutral at this time.
- For some reason, Motonobu wants to start a war with Italy and Spain (both part of the Testament Union).
- This war will give the Testament Union an excuse to invade Musashi.
- Our heroes are about to get invaded.
- Horizon Ariadust's death may have been orchestrated as part of the setup for the Genesis Project.

Addendums:
- Automated dolls are apparently the most badass thing there is, second only to Gods of War (piloted mecha).
- Of our heroes:

+ Toori isn't particularly well known for being anything other than a pervert and in love with Horizon.
+ His sister, Kimi, is deeply concerned about his emotional well being, but plays it off as a brother-complex to others.
+ Mitotsudaira (drill hair) is probably in love with Toori.
+ Tomo (the archer) is probably in love with him too.
+ Suzu is blind, but has various apparatus to make her hearing overwhelmingly superior. Somehow she can hears ghosts too.
+ The two winged girls, Margot and Marga, are lesbians and lovers. They are also the most powerful casters of the bunch.
+ P-01S lives at the cafe, appeared only a few years ago from Mikawa.

Conclusion: Motonobu is evil, and our gaggle of heroes are going to get caught in the middle because of a twisted man's mysterious ambitions.

---------------------------

Kazuno was totally badass. I can only imagine that Musashi [the doll the country is named for, not the nation] is equally badass because others aboard Musashi [the nation-ship] are afraid of her too. Then where does this put P-01S's capability?

Also, the girls in this series are like every one of my anime-related fetishes combined and refined in one girl or another. Also, they all get skin-tight clothing. Also...boobs.

I don't think that Suzu is blind, my fav character can't be blind :(
I still can't decide what's more awesome, Automated Dolls or Gods of War
I can't wait to see P-01S in action.

Ryllharu
Wed, 10-26-2011, 06:32 PM
I don't think that Suzu is blind, my fav character can't be blind :(
Suzu is blind, she said so herself. Episode 3, 6:06.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Suzu is blind, she said so herself. Episode 3, 6:06.

Yep. Explains why the money man(?) carried her in the race.

I haven't fully digested Ryll's explanation yet. It's more or less as confusing as Horizon (which it has to be, if it has to be right, lol).

animus
Wed, 10-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Gonna just watch this for the tits. Not gonna try to bother to make sense of it.

Ryllharu
Wed, 11-02-2011, 07:48 PM
[Commie] Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon -05 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=257419)

------------------

Ryllharu's "So let me see if I've got this straight" Horizon explanation addendum:

- Automated dolls and super weapons require souls to operate at Awesomeness Capacity.
- Kazuno was powered with Dacchan's wife via her wedding ring.
- Motonobu killed Horizon, then split her soul into nine pieces.
- Eight of those were given to the other Sky Nations as super weapons. We saw Spain's.
- The ninth (and formerly secret one!) is the automated doll P-01s.
- Motonobu wants to blow up his own city to cause a world war, because it would be entertaining.
- Motonobu thinks this is the highest form of entertainment because all the nations are rebuilding the world by recreating history, including any and all historical wars. What he has done will somehow end the world, or cause a brand new world war, as part of saving the world. This war would not be predestined history the Sky Nations are painfully recreating. It would be something the world has never seen before.

- With Motonobu's death, Horizon becomes the rightful leader of Mikawa, despite the fact that it got obliterated. She is sentenced to suicide because...?
- If Toori confessed his love to P-01s/Horizon now that he's knows P-01s is Horizon (at least a part of her), Italia would have killed him, because....?

*Ryllharu gives up.

Seriously, with those last two, it doesn't even make any damn sense no matter how many times I go over it or try to connect it to something else.

------------------

I'm guessing that Toori's plan will be to take, steal, or otherwise win all of the weapons to rebuild Horizon's soul. Right now it's supposed to be separated into various Vices that made up her personality. If he can, then shove them into P-01s, he's pretty much got Horizon herself back. Not the simulacrum that Kazuno was of Dacchan's wife.

Sad to see Kazuno go. That final scene with Dacchan blowing up and Kazuno's soul reverting to his wife was nice to see. As was Spain's princess agreeing to give the holy Shinto spear to Futayo.

It was also a pretty badass fight between Dacchan and Muneshige. Lots of high level techniques. Kind of endearing with Dacchan fighting as Kazuno clung around his neck.

Motonobu was one sick fuck. I'm a bit upset that he got to kill himself because that means that Toori and friends will not get to kill him themselves as revenge for what he intentionally did to Horizon.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-03-2011, 10:55 AM
I doubt any of the academy's kids could match Dacchan or Kazuno's awesomeness in battle. The teacher probably could in technique, but she hasn't shown to possess any supernatural powers yet.

I agree with that you've said so far Ryll (thumbs up for getting through all of that, haha).

edit: well, except for a few parts. Regarding Horizon's soul, Commie subs said that the guy implanted the Jealousy Armour into the soul of Horizon, which was then transplanted into the automated doll. He stated that the Armours were created from the emotions of Horizon, though how one would actually define a soul is debatable.

As Dacchan pointed out, you don't actually HAVE to have a soul to run an automated bot.

- Motonobu wants to blow up his own city to cause a world war, because it would be entertaining.
- Motonobu thinks this is the highest form of entertainment because all the nations are rebuilding the world by recreating history, including any and all historical wars. What he has done will somehow end the world, or cause a brand new world war, as part of saving the world. This war would not be predestined history the Sky Nations are painfully recreating. It would be something the world has never seen before.

Rather than the actual war, I understood it as that Motonobu finds people struggling/thinking to be entertaining. He said this episode that he's starting this apocalypses because it'll be the ultimate trial for people to overcome. What's interesting is that he said he'll reward the one to solve this crisis.

Ryllharu
Thu, 11-03-2011, 03:19 PM
As Dacchan pointed out, you don't actually HAVE to have a soul to run an automated bot.This is why I stressed that it allows them to operate at "Awesomeness Capacity." Motonobu had an army of automated dolls, but Kazuno wasn't the best because she was built to be better, she was better because she had something greater within her than an average automated doll. Those others are just simple androids, capable of walking on walls and murdering people. Channeling Dacchan's wife, Kazuno was something more.

She had abilities that no other doll in Mikawa's service did, and as Dacchan mentioned, she also inherited his wife's foul mouth, a trait that not everyone might like in a robot servant. She inherited more than that too, as she would threaten to murder anyone who talked down to Dacchan, only she was granted that right...just like an extremely loyal wife might to her henpecked husband.

When Dacchan took her soul-channeling gem out, she became little more than an average automated doll.

Kraco
Thu, 11-03-2011, 04:05 PM
I was happy that Kazuno got defeated in such a brutal manner. It was annoying to watch her deus ex machina fight. Although I suppose I shouldn't look for sense in fights in a series making so little sense itself, but nevertheless her fight against the gods of war was one side doing their best with skills and technology and one side waving her hands and things simply happened in her favour. Good riddance. Dacchan's fight, however, was very nice.

Toori disappointed me majorly. I thought from the moment he fondled the untouchable teacher's boobs that he was just a relaxed and perverted personality, but in a tight spot would kick serious ass. Instead he was a bloody loser and nothing more, who couldn't defeat a single nameless enemy grunt. I hope he just drops dead, in an ungracious manner.

animus
Thu, 11-03-2011, 05:21 PM
I honestly can't tell if it's the source material that sucks or just this anime adaptation.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-03-2011, 09:53 PM
This is why I stressed that it allows them to operate at "Awesomeness Capacity."

My quote was a run-on from my previous paragrapgh discussing Horizon's state. I was saying that Dacchan's example showed that you don't really have to use a person's real soul to operate an automated doll, sine he transfigured it from her ring. With that in mind, it's unclear what the nature of the "soul" in P-01S is, even if Motonobu says it's her soul.

Regarding Kazuno's wife-like perks, Dacchan also said she inherited his wife's cooking and sword skills too. Wonder if that meant his wife had telekinetic abilities, since that's what Kazuno's display essentially was. They did mention that she was teaching it to their daughter though, so it may well be just your non-gravity-powered skill that wasn't suited to fighting Gods of War.

Or...Futayo's also got superpowers.

RyougaZell
Sat, 11-05-2011, 04:17 PM
I just don't get it... the guy wanted to make a war because it was entertaining and then he dies...? I just don't get it...

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-05-2011, 08:37 PM
I just don't get it... the guy wanted to make a war because it was entertaining and then he dies...? I just don't get it...
It's like saying "this world needs to change", and then I sacrifice myself in order to make that change.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Commie - Episode 06 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=258986), Episode 07 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=260538)

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Commie - Episode 08 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=262127)

Buffalobiian
Tue, 12-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Commie - Episodes 09 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=263824), 10 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=265831), 11 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=268181)

Ryllharu
Wed, 12-14-2011, 04:50 PM
It may have taken 6 episodes of mind-numbing, confusion-filled episodes of pure setup, but Horizon (the series) is really starting to come into its own, and here's why:

- Now that we've spent so much time getting to know the primary cast of characters and how they interact with each other, the quirks and jokes are pretty funny. Masazumi getting attacked and verbally abused, Futayo being kinda lonely and pathetic ('I don't have any friends, and the chancellor didn't supply me with any either!'), Neito the wolf girl Knight obligated to save Toori but liking that gets the chance to serve him, etc.

- The combat strategies are sound. Musashi took a huge risk in taking out Espana's God of War with the yuri witches, and only then did they launch their own and heavy hitter (Neito), which were both free to dominate the field. They flank, use feints, use deceptions, enrage their opponents, attack morale, use the eccentricities as strengths. Characters learn from past performance too. Muneshige took what he learned from fighting her father, and uses strategies to easily best the capabilities of Futayo's inherited spear. It's fun to watch things play out in an intelligent, yet illogical/eccentric manner.

- Episodes 7 through 9 spent time on something Horizon (the series) is actually pretty good at, non-conventional combat. Let's call it "debate fighting." Amongst themselves, we got to see some of the less conventional members of the cast display their abilities, and why they are important to the mix of Musashi. The comedy was good (poor Masazumi getting harassed from all sides), but what really stood out, and what was important for the recent two episodes, was also clarified. It is the reason for which Musashi is to be feared by the Testament Union.

The Asama Shrine.

From what they are saying, Musashi/Mikawa are one of the only Shinto/Buddhist nations left in the world. Where most of the other nations rely on super-weapons (Gods of War), experienced soldiers and powerful weaponry, Musashi ties nearly everyone to the shrine.

Asama Tomo (the archer) uses traditional offerings of food and prayers for her powers. But others, like Kimi (episode 9) and the boxing guy (in episode 11), exploit the offerings system to the fullest. Kimi powers up her essentially invulnerable defensive combat merely by doing it. She's got the body, and by exposing herself and doing slutty things, she gets stronger. Boxing guy just needs to hit, and each strike powers up the successive ones. Granted, he needs to make contact, but once he does, it just chains.

Furthermore, with Toori subjecting himself to the most extreme offering to the same goddess Kimi uses, he breaks every rule the other nations adhere to. Whatever "Energy" everyone in both Musashi and the Union uses for their abilities, Toori can allow unlimited use, while he gambles his own existence. Huge payoff, enormous price.

The Asama Shrine System is immensely powerful. While other nations might think Musashi is weaker, so long as they maintain the obligations, Musashi students can power up alarmingly quickly.

And then...they even harbor refugees and heretics like the yuri witches (amusingly enough, they act like mahou shoujos).

edit 2: Also, ridiculous feats of strength are backed up by hardware. Tomo's enormous bow and Neito's chain feats. They both have boots with mechanical spikes that can lock them in place to the ground, same as any artillery weapon would.

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 12-14-2011, 05:31 PM
^What he said.

animus
Fri, 12-16-2011, 11:31 PM
I'm a bit disappointed in Tori's abilities, but I'm thoroughly surprised and pleased that they actually gave him something unconventional as a protagonist in an action show with powers. They made him a General that Buffs everyone else. Pretty weird since he doesn't have any combat abilities (or we just haven't seen any), but his abilities make him a true "leader" I guess.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 12-20-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm a bit disappointed in Tori's abilities, but I'm thoroughly surprised and pleased that they actually gave him something unconventional as a protagonist in an action show with powers. They made him a General that Buffs everyone else. Pretty weird since he doesn't have any combat abilities (or we just haven't seen any), but his abilities make him a true "leader" I guess.

Tori's leadership stems from the very fact that he's nothing special. He's put on the spot because he's some average student who is supposed to be easy to manipulate as a figurehead while Musashi outwardly seems like they are allowed to have a proper ruler/leader.

Kimi was pretty hot. Her bagged up look and humongous boobs made her look like an overstuffed doll in previous eps, but you can actually appreciate her more now.

I had a bit of a hard time seeing what exactly Muneshige did to cancel Firefly - it looked like he added detachable, separate soles to his feet.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Commie - Episode 12 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=270217)

Marik
Fri, 12-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere's 2nd Season Slated for Summer (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-12-23/horizon-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-2nd-season-slated-for-summer)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere's 2nd Season Slated for Summer (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-12-23/horizon-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-2nd-season-slated-for-summer)

That's awesome. This show isn't exactly "great", but I do want to see how it all turns out. In the grand scheme of things, it's only just beginning.

Clean cushion or Ero cushion??

Marik
Fri, 12-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Clean cushion or Ero cushion??
I'll go with ero pillow.

Body Pillows from "Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere" and "Heaven's Memo Pad" (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/12/23-1/body-pillows-from-horizon-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-and-heavens-memo-pad)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-23-2011, 10:16 PM
I'll go with ero pillow.

Body Pillows from "Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere" and "Heaven's Memo Pad" (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/12/23-1/body-pillows-from-horizon-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-and-heavens-memo-pad)

Hmm.. I'd rather they made a more stoic Horizon Ariadust.. at least until we see her accumulate more emotions anyway.

Ah well.. not buying that anyway.. (not yet)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Commie - Episode 13 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=272505)

-----------------------------------

Gin's Muneshige's wife?! I always thought she was his sister...but that explains a lot.

Balls of Death - lol

Neito's hipguards seem to serve no purpose other than to stop her swinging her arms in a normal fashion.

So no everyone can see past Musashi's stealth mode? >_>

Ryllharu
Fri, 12-30-2011, 10:16 PM
It was a nice ending to the first half. Horizon got one of her emotions back, and the blast powered by Tori literally tore away at the enemy ship. The pope still has one of Horizon's other sins though, and it seems like Spain's VP has one too.

Neito's hip-guards hold her skirts up. She's a noble lady after all.

I was more amused at Masazumi's discomfort at having to wear girl clothes now. I didn't think there was anything stopping her from continuing to wear pants, but I suppose the Pope's angry rebuke must have gotten to her. Also, Futayo at being a bit stupid in addition to her social ineptitude.

I wasn't sure what the P.A. ODA was. Are they the legion of demons? Whoever they are, they're at war with the Testament Union, but like showing off their power to anyone and everyone. It wasn't clear what Makiko-sensei knew about the blood seal, or who the message referred to needing killing, but it turns out there is a lot more to her past than we were previously led to believe. She's strong, and her past occupation (whatever that carefully guarded secret might be) appears to be a large part of that.

I still have no idea what the ghost-baby between the wheelchair girl Miriam and the little Prince has to do with anything...

Eagerly awaiting the next part. It took a while for this series to start up and get through the introductory exposition, but once it got going, it was surprisingly entertaining.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-26-2012, 08:37 AM
I'll go with ero pillow.

Tsk Tsk.

/me shows off Clean Cushion.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10181230

^ emergency treatment until the June/July.

Ryllharu
Tue, 07-10-2012, 06:13 PM
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2711/horizons2.jpg

Let the overwhelming exposition begin anew!

[HorribleSubs] Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon S2 - 01 (720p) (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=330622)

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Awesome action in the first episode, just like last season.

Awesome confusion in the first episode, just like last season.

Ryllharu
Tue, 07-10-2012, 07:01 PM
It wasn't actually that confusing. It picked up where they left off.

Tres Espana was pursuing Musashi/Mikawa as revenge for the humiliation they suffered at Horizon's execution, and Gin in particular is trying to redeem her and her husband's honor. Not too hard, considering how powerful she is. Tres Espana still wants to bring Mushashi under their yoke, for all the reasons the Ariadust Academy members detailed last season.

And Musashi is fleeing to England's territories according to Masazumi's plan. From there, they will use it as a neutral territory and launch their campaign to peacefully be given all of Horizon's emotions (turned into weapons). They do this under the reasoning that they will use them all to save the world (which would be true if they were able to get them all), and in turn make everyone else, though Tres Espana and Italia in particular, look like the bad guys who are getting in the way of saving the world.

England, confused as much as the viewers are, doesn't know exactly where Musashi fits into these turbulent times, made worse with Tres Espana apparently going rogue against the solidarity of the remainder of the Testament Union for their own egos. Musashi is entering their territory uninvited, and England doesn't want to accept the risk of Musashi entering their ports, so they are attempting to turn them back by force.

Hmm...if I had to write that much, perhaps it is after all.

Awesome characters, glad to have them back. A great deal of funny jokes at each other's expense were made.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Great summary. If you could do that for the rest of the show I (and other confused viewers) would appreciate it.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-12-2012, 01:34 AM
I have no idea why Naruse was crying after being shot. They were communicating about how to get her out of that situation, but I couldn't work out what eventually happened.

Anyway, lots of nice chaotic action with characters I still don't know the name of, not that that matters.

They've got to have introduced all the special weapons by now right? We just had like 4 or 5 introduced in one episode.

Ryllharu
Thu, 07-12-2012, 07:05 PM
They've got to have introduced all the special weapons by now right? We just had like 4 or 5 introduced in one episode.
Testament Armament aren't the same things as Armor of Deadly Sins. The former are powerful weapons with special abilities, and the latter are super-powerful weapons that were forged out of Horizon's emotions.

As far as we know, there are only two Armors of Deadly Sins held by Tres Espana. One that Futayo retrieved from Muneshige and that Horizon/P01S was using this episode (Jealousy), and the one that woman who grabbed Toori's junk was using (Dejection).

edit: The KPA Italia Pope-President uses the third we know about (Lust).

edit 2: Not counting P01S herself, since she was the super secret one.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-18-2012, 02:53 AM
HorribleSubs - S2 Ep02 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=332741)

HorribleSubs - S2 Episode 03 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=334935)

HorribleSubs - S2 Episode 04 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=337126)

Commie - Episode 18 (S2 ep05) (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=339524)

HorribleSubs - S2 Episode 06 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=341858)

NeoCybercoin
Tue, 08-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Double Bloody Mary confirmed. Also lucky lucky Tenzou. Girl was constantly flaunting her ass at you!

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Neito priding herself in being able to evade attacks thanks to her small bust was highly amusing. I wonder if the Trump #2 is what remains of the wife Drake ate.

Talking about Drake, was the mentality to "correct" England's justice all it took to render his armament harmless? It seemed completely ineffective against Gin. Drake did say that Gin had "a bazillion" moves.. but if that alone doesn't make any difference.

If the move bypassed his Armament's defence, then it means it'll be effective even if she keeps using it (unless Drake himself learns a counter). If the move IS repelled by the Armament, but Gin keeps using new moves, then the Armament will just keep repelling all attacks instead of stopping their intention. Whether Gin changes moves or not shouldn't matter.

I "get" everything Mary's said so far, but I still don't know what the entire "Double" part is about. Are both of them supposed to be executed? They both appear to have scars in the same spots (at least on the face).. which is highly improbable if that wasn't the intention.

Edit:.. Ah, I forgot that the Testament Union was trying to re-enact history down to the very people. So "Double Mary" is the title given to the girl who is assuming the identity of both the historical figures Mary Stuart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary,_Queen_of_Scots) and Mary Tudor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_I_of_England) (since one of the mothers couldn't give birth).. and doesn't refer (necessarily) to the fact that there are currently two Marys in front of Tenzo right now.

Ryllharu
Wed, 08-15-2012, 02:50 AM
The other one (her nose scar faded once Tenzo accused her of being an impostor, it was an illusion) is Elizabeth (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=character&charid=43068). We've seen her before, voiced by Tamura Yukari then, and was here too once her voiced changed along with the fading scars. That makes sense, because she was the reigning Queen who defeated the Spanish Armada.

I would guess that the two of them are twins, and one succeeded the name and historical role of Elizabeth and is quite happy being a complete bitch to fulfill that role and exert dominance over many, and as you said, Madam Scarred has been forced to inherit the name of both Marys.

Regarding Gin, she was making lots of little stabs, all 100% different, so they were bypassing Drake's defenses just enough to keep nicking him. Like how Naruse's initial attacks were partially effective. Gin's were avoiding the same problem that Naruse had because she constantly starting over fresh. Somehow, there was no similar motion that the armament could foil before it was initiated. I guess it couldn't "get a bead" on how her attacks worked, so it couldn't really block them. You're right, that's kind of a strange point. She finished it off by taking advantage of the way it causes accidents by "slipping" on a banana peel and verbally announcing how effective that was, giving her the freedom to "fall" some more and raise her arms up. Thus, it wasn't an attack that sliced off his arms, just an accident. ♥~Gin~♥

Speaking of Naruse, I should have mentioned this episodes ago, but I was lazy:
I really appreciate the fact that this series destroyed Naruse's broom/magical girl focus, and it is gone. After the Spanish God of War destroyed it, it doesn't come back, and they've made a plot point in the story that she's trying to still be useful even without it, but usually losing many of her fights anyway. I can't remember another time I've ever seen a series dealing with a magical girl losing her ability to fight, and it not being just a temporary thing. It's really neat. Naruse is starting to get pretty torn up about it, but Margot is letting her do it, rather than trying to comfort her and say that she can stand at the sidelines. I guess she has a lot of faith that Naruse will be able to figure something out with her own raw abilities.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-15-2012, 04:25 AM
The other one (her nose scar faded once Tenzo accused her of being an impostor, it was an illusion) is Elizabeth. We've seen her before, voiced by Tamura Yukari then, and was here too once her voiced changed along with the fading scars. That makes sense, because she was the reigning Queen who defeated the Spanish Armada.

Ah. I recognised her ":3" when she was unmasked, but then Mary showed up and the whole Double thing made me think they were both Marys.. (and I guess the realisation afterwards didn't auto-correct my thoughts enough).

Regarding Gin, she was making lots of little stabs, all 100% different, so they were bypassing Drake's defenses just enough to keep nicking him. Like how Naruse's initial attacks were partially effective. Gin's were avoiding the same problem that Naruse had because she constantly starting over fresh. Somehow, there was no similar motion that the armament could foil before it was initiated. I guess it couldn't "get a bead" on how her attacks worked, so it couldn't really block them. You're right, that's kind of a strange point.

If we boil down Drake's weapon into simple terms, it

nvm.. RandomC's write-up is up (http://randomc.net/2012/08/15/kyoukai-senjou-no-horizon-ii-06/) with some explanations. I'm not in 100% agreement with their explanation on how Gin thwart Drake's Armament, but it's probably as close as a theory can get to making sense. In the episode, Naruse did say that the Armament "rejects anything that could harm justice at some point in time". Even if (according to RandomC) Gin was able to follow up after the armament makes her miss, the resultant "follow up" should still be affected - unless that move had no chance of hurting Drake (which makes it an opening and a useless move).

Drake also said that "this woman's attack had a one-in-two success rate, but now each and every attack is coming straight at me." The "Gin learning to compensate" theory matches with this, but it still doesn't address the point about how the resultant harmful effect doesn't get repelled. Even static objects that don't have a will of their own get repelled, after all.

What Drake's words hint at though, is that perhaps the armament can only reject things that will harm him, not might.

RandomC's theory about Gin "powering through" the Armament's attack is also pretty flimsy. Yours (Ryll's) makes more sense about it pretending to be an accident.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-21-2012, 10:39 PM
HorribleSubs - S2 Episode 07 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=344268)

----------------------

What I don't get about this history recreation thing is... if the whole Testament Union is doing this war thing to re-enact history.. wouldn't Tres Espania let England win because that's what happened in history? Who cares how strong the other person is? And if Tres Espania won, then they're upsetting history and the whole Union gets mad at them. >_>

Horriblesubs - S2 Episode 08 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=346518)

HorribleSubs - S2 Episode 09 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=348860)

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 09-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Can't say I've ever seen a slap that intense before.

oyabun
Wed, 09-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Why the hell is Touru still naked?

shinta|hikari
Wed, 09-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Do you mean Tori? He has always been like that.

Is the censorship on his privates for the viewers only? Do the characters in the show see him completely naked?

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Can't say I've ever seen a slap that intense before.

Yeah, It was good. I like how it turned effectively into an uppercut.

As for Tori.. last time I heard he tried on Masazumi's clothes (as well as Asama's). I guess he wasn't allowed to keep them. His privates are probably only censored to the viewer.

edit: what I don't get is why a half-elf like the blue-haired girl is seemingly normal. I thought you would have been able to tell them apart due to their low IQ.

Ryllharu
Thu, 09-06-2012, 03:23 AM
Tori's nakedness is hilarious. I thought it would only be a few episodes, but now that it has been the overwhelming norm...you have to admit it is pretty clever. It is impossible for their enemies to take their Chancellor seriously as he hasn't been wearing clothing aside from his date, and the only other time, he was half-naked wearing his female vice-chancellor's clothing, and immediately declared he had also tried on shrine maiden clothes. That puts their enemies off guard

So while he's being a major pervert as always, it is serving as a strategic benefit as well. Don't take him seriously, they're not a threat, one's guard is dropped. Shocked by his complete lack of shame, concentrations get broken. It's already worked a number of times, and since the Musashi residents are less appalled at his behavior (because he does stuff to them all the time), they can recover faster and capitalize while their enemies are flatfooted. Masazumi used it to her advantage while negotiating with Elizabeth, Juana lost her concentration and dropped the Armor of Deadly Sins she was using.

The censorship is for everyone, viewers and the characters alike. It's a shrine sigil, the same kind that everyone else in Musashi uses (or the non-Asama sigils that everyone else in the world and the two witches use), and in episode 1, you can see Juana's hand ripple through it momentarily before stabilizing when she inadvertently grabs his junk. I'd put my money on Tomo setting that up to automatically apply to Tori. It disappears slowly when covered (Juana's hand, seaweed) only to reappear automatically. It's not a censorship sticker put on by the animators, it is a functioning element in their world.

edit: Also, don't forget that Tori and Kimi both use the same mouse deity. The one that grants her power from exhibitionist and seductive ritual displays (like biting Malga's lip in this episode). His contract is different, but if being naked all the time makes him happy (which it obviously does) he's fulfilling it.

edit2: Elizabeth sounded pretty upset about Musashi declaring a free for all battle, but from the brief time spent in Avalon, I don't think she's all that happy about losing her twin. She accepted the succession of the Elizabeth name, and acts like it outwardly, but it was starting to break down here.

I do like that while members of the Testament Union are obligated to fulfill their roles in history (Spain losing most of its fleet), they love to twist history and get away with as much as possible. Only losing a flotilla of small dingies was always part of their plan, keeping their actual military might intact.

Musashi spreading of the waves of chaos started by Motonobu being an asshole is probably better in the long run, the Testament Union has been manipulating history to their own individual advantages anyway.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 09-06-2012, 05:12 AM
Ryll's point about the rippling effect of the mark as Juana touches Tori's junk definitely tells us that the censorship in inherent from the start of drawing/concept and wasn't just tacked on as steam or another after-effect.

What I am unsure of, is if such a mechanic exists at all in the LN, where visual censorship is not required. Would Tori have been simply described as "naked" without further description? Not that it discredits any arguments about what happens in the anime specifically..

Ryllharu
Thu, 09-06-2012, 05:58 PM
You're concerned about that...is a world where they shatter through electronic sigils to cast spells, defend against spells, communicate with them, and even use chatrooms in front of their debate opponents (who are also using chatrooms)?

It doesn't matter if it was in the novel or not. It certainly isn't out of place, and honestly makes it funnier.

From its presence alone we can conclude this:

The rest of the students at Musashi have given up on trying to get Tori to wear clothes, and just put a shrine sigil over his junk that activates/deactivates automatically.

Hitokiri
Sun, 09-09-2012, 09:32 PM
one of the most absurd shows I've seen and I'm hooked! Where can I find a batch of the first Season?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-09-2012, 09:49 PM
one of the most absurd shows I've seen and I'm hooked! Where can I find a batch of the first Season?

http://bakabt.me/166820-kyoukai-senjou-no-horizon-horizon-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-zurako-blu-ray-720p-10-bit-aac.html

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-11-2012, 08:40 PM
HorribleSubs - S2 Episode 10 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=351438)

Hitokiri
Mon, 09-17-2012, 02:14 PM
http://bakabt.me/166820-kyoukai-senjou-no-horizon-horizon-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-zurako-blu-ray-720p-10-bit-aac.html

Thank you sir!

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-18-2012, 08:56 PM
HorribleSubs - S2 Episode 11 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=353704)

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-02-2012, 08:45 PM
HorribleSubs - S2 Episode 12 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=355716), 13 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=357999)

MFauli
Wed, 10-03-2012, 06:39 AM
Just started watching this anime. wtf did I just watch?!

It was enjoyable, but I have no idea what´s going on. Everyone is dressed differently, or even shaped completely differently from each other. It looks like some crappy MMORPG-online meet up.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-03-2012, 07:06 AM
While I feel that I know the characters better in S2, it didn't end up being any less confusing than the first series. The first had me more confused about who's who and why they're doing xyz, while the second one had me confused about exactly what goes on in the battles (especially the naval ones).

But it's one of those series where I can let it go over my head and just enjoy it for the action and characters, so that's what I do when it happens.

So many happy-looking, big-boobed girls watching the war 0_o

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 10-03-2012, 10:56 AM
It is a very confusing anime that's for sure but I love it. Plus now we have to wait for the third season which I am pretty sure they will get.

Munsu
Mon, 02-24-2014, 10:28 PM
Just watched the first series, and quite enjoyed it... share pretty much the sentiments of everyone in the thread. Kinda wish I could've seen Tori in action before he got the "upgrades" in the later episodes.

In any case, plan on watching the second series in the coming days.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 02-24-2014, 10:45 PM
This show climaxes really well. A lot of stuff is boring, but if you manage to tough it out til the end, you are rewarded with awesomeness.

S2 had one of the best fight scenes I have ever seen.

Munsu
Mon, 02-24-2014, 10:48 PM
This show climaxes really well. A lot of stuff is boring, but if you manage to tough it out til the end, you are rewarded with awesomeness.

S2 had one of the best fight scenes I have ever seen.

Sounds good... has there been any announcement yet regarding a third series?