PDA

View Full Version : TV: Homeland

Munsu
Sat, 10-08-2011, 01:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqddY2sOk6U

Homeland, new show on Showtime started last Sunday and it's freaking awesome so far. It also has an awesome cast: Claire Danes, Morena Baccarin, Damien Lewis, Mandy Patinkin, etc. Also it's brought from executive producers of 24.

Any of you seen it yet?

http://www.sho.com/site/homeland/about.sho

gos27
Sat, 10-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Seen it a few days ago. Was very impressed with the first episode, let's hope it continues being awesome :D

Assassin
Mon, 10-10-2011, 03:38 PM
another terrorism show? really?

Animeniax
Mon, 10-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Is the pressure of discovery getting to you, Assassin?

I want to check this show out but Claire Danes' overacting in the trailers has kind of soured the show for me. I get that that's her character but she'll always be the angsty whiny girl with no real life problems on My So Called Life, so seeing her in a dramatic role just doesn't work for me. It's kind of like Peg voicing Leela on Futurama.

rockmanj
Mon, 11-14-2011, 12:58 AM
I love this show! Did anyone see the latest one?

rockmanj
Tue, 12-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Nobody else watched this amazing show? Great performances all around, although the daughter really annoyed me. I also saw one of the saddest things ever on this show: The making of a peanut butter sandwich with a ruler. Are you telling me the DoD does not have spoons or knives in the kitchen? I know America has to make cuts, but damn!

Animeniax
Mon, 09-24-2012, 12:28 AM
I'm going to start watching this now that Breaking Bad is on hiatus. Here's hoping it's a worthwhile series.

edit: saw the first episode, this series looks very promising. Lots of angles and complexities. I think they revealed a bit too much in the first episode, but I guess if they hadn't then people might write it off as a conspiracy show and skip it.

Animeniax
Mon, 10-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Spoilers:

Shit, 6 episodes in and they've already debunked the main premise of the show (unless it's a ruse) and I can't say I like the direction they're heading in with the supposedly dead marine. But all the ads say the show, now in its second season, is amazing and one of the best shows on TV. I'll keep watching, hoping they didn't try to wrap up the series in one season not expecting a second.

edit: just when I'm getting into this series after the first fairly amazing season, it's now only on ep2 of season 2.

Animeniax
Thu, 11-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Anyone watching this series? It's pretty awesome, if a bit cliched. And don't let the SNL skit fool you, that's hardly what the show is like.

rockmanj
Sat, 11-24-2012, 12:47 AM
Never saw the skits, but Am really into this show. In fact, I watched the 1st season twice.

Animeniax
Sat, 11-24-2012, 02:11 AM
The SNL skit isn't too hard on the show, though they did lambaste elements of it. The character portrayals are hilarious.

But yeah the show itself is amazing and worth watching. I think the show could use a better intro.

I'm an episode behind, but I don't get how the terrorists were able to come through the front door of the tailor shop. Did the CIA not lock the front door to keep looky-loos out?

Animeniax
Wed, 12-19-2012, 01:26 AM
Man what an explosive ending to the 2nd season!!! I thought the show was going to wind down and get silly. Instead it goes full bore and should be a great 3rd season.

rockmanj
Wed, 12-19-2012, 01:46 PM
I hope they keep Brody away for at least half a season. I would like to see the Saul & Carrie show for a while. Saul has been gret this season. My favorite line: "Are you known as the bear?" "I fuckin hope not."

Animeniax
Wed, 12-19-2012, 02:51 PM
That's what I think will happen. To incorporate him into the show, he'd either have to have his own side story like dodging the authorities or terrorists looking for him, or it will be the occasional phone call from Carrie. Either option isn't a great use of the character.

UChessmaster
Fri, 12-21-2012, 03:30 PM
I`m sure they`ll give Brody something to do, if you take him out of the equation you`ll prob have to take his whole family + Mike out of it too, that`s too many people out, so either give them something to do or introduce new characters.

Animeniax
Fri, 12-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Definitely will need to introduce new characters. Estes' replacement will need to be there to dog on Saul's heels and antagonize Carrie while she tries to clear Brody's name. I can see them operating extensively in Middle Eastern locations during the season. I'd like to see Quinn follow Brody's trail and have a serious confrontation.

UChessmaster
Fri, 12-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Estes` replacement IS Saul though. The one thing i`m looking for is less Dana scenes, i tolerated her up until she started whining over spilled milk, btw guys this series is awesome, do watch it!

Animeniax
Fri, 12-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Saul was in charge as the senior most man, but a person in Estes' position is typically appointed by higher ups. Saul may very well get the job though.

Agreed, Dana is terrible. Her role holds a lot of significance and importance, but it's hard to watch.

Munsu
Sat, 01-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Finally managed to marathon the series, just finished the season 2 finale which was awesome. Starting season 3 now, which I see no discussion of. You guys up to date?

I'll be in a couple of hours.

UChessmaster
Sat, 01-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Season 2 was indeed awsome, season 3 had its up and downs, but I felt the season end was very well done.

Animeniax
Sat, 01-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Season 3 does end very well and in a satisfying manner, and I thought most of the season was exciting and compelling.

***Spoilers***:

I've read the show will continue even with the ending of season 3. The show's producer hopes viewers care enough about the characters to see what happens with them. Carrie will begin her life as a station chief in Istanbul, and Saul will reappear as a private contractor doing work for the CIA. For me, the show is over and I won't watch it anymore, as it's base premise is now concluded. I don't like or care enough for the remaining characters to see what they do next.

UChessmaster
Sat, 01-04-2014, 09:57 PM
You have to consider they probably introduce new characters who might be as popular (if not more popular) than you know who.

Animeniax
Sun, 01-05-2014, 12:21 AM
You have to consider they probably introduce new characters who might be as popular (if not more popular) than you know who.

True, but the remaining core characters don't make me want to watch their further exploits. I thought the use of Carrie in a lot of the episodes was ridiculously unrealistic, particularly when she was on the ground during critical missions after her mental instability was discovered. I get that it's Hollywood and the star has to be in the middle of the action, but the show suffered for it.

If I did continue watching, I imagine they'd intro a new terrorist leader for Carrie to hunt. To be anywhere as good as the original plot, they'd need a character like Brody, but another double agent would be repetitive.

Munsu
Sun, 01-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Finished watching season 3, good stuff... though the season was a bit unbalanced. That said, really lament that we didn't see Brody's family during the finale at any point, I thought it would've been good to see regarding the latest events...including his tour on tv networks.

We know his family has distanced themselves from him, so not all that relevant anymore, but I thought a missed opportunity there to come for circle with this story line.

That said Animeniax, aside from the next story line sucking ass, I think you should remain watching... for all intents and purposes 75%-85% of season 3 simulated what we may see going forward as it is.

Animeniax
Sun, 01-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Weird, I didn't even think of Brody's family during the last 2 or 3 episodes. I thought his "goodbye" to Dana was final, so we didn't need to see her. It would have brought some closure to see his wife and son's reactions, though I think they kinda closed the chapter on them with Mike Faber's reappearance a few episodes ago.

I might continue watching, or marathon it after a few episodes. The show was good through 3 seasons, but I didn't watch it every week, eagerly anticipating new episodes. Now that the main premise is completed, that will be even more so.

for all intents and purposes 75%-85% of season 3 simulated what we may see going forward as it is.
Do you mean with Javadi installed in Iran? I wonder how far they could go with him without it seeming too contrived and impossible. Also, I think Carrie with a kid would be a mess, operationally and story-wise. Plus with her new role as a station chief, she'd play a character more like Saul in previous seasons, overseeing operations and personnel. But being Hollywood they'd most likely keep her on the streets playing an active role in field operations, which would be ridiculous (maybe moreso than psycho Carrie being allowed in the field during seasons 2 and 3).

Munsu
Sun, 01-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Weird, I didn't even think of Brody's family during the last 2 or 3 episodes. I thought his "goodbye" to Dana was final, so we didn't need to see her. It would have brought some closure to see his wife and son's reactions, though I think they kinda closed the chapter on them with Mike Faber's reappearance a few episodes ago.

I might continue watching, or marathon it after a few episodes. The show was good through 3 seasons, but I didn't watch it every week, eagerly anticipating new episodes. Now that the main premise is completed, that will be even more so.

Do you mean with Javadi installed in Iran? I wonder how far they could go with him without it seeming too contrived and impossible. Also, I think Carrie with a kid would be a mess, operationally and story-wise. Plus with her new role as a station chief, she'd play a character more like Saul in previous seasons, overseeing operations and personnel. But being Hollywood they'd most likely keep her on the streets playing an active role in field operations, which would be ridiculous (maybe moreso than psycho Carrie being allowed in the field during seasons 2 and 3).

No, what I meant is that season 3 was quite transitional... after the first couple of episodes we barely saw the family again, and other than a episode here and there, Brody was irrelevant in season 3. So in that regards season 3 was quite experimental on how the action was centered and the people that participated within it. For all intents and purposes, Brody was of little relevance other than Saul coming in the end with "Hey, I have this big plan and Brody is the final piece" sort of converging story lines and bring closure to his story. But you take out Brody from the equation, and season 3 would've still landed on its own to feet regardless.

That's pretty much what I meant, that from a certain angle we've already experienced a show absent of Brody and I still quite enjoyed it.

I think the plan is to have less of the family going forward, for obvious reasons, but I hope we do see them a bit in season 4 just to put the final touches... I'm very interested on the aftermath, I'm still clouded on how Brody is perceived in certain circles. In fact, I'm very much clouded on his public perception, and how much has remained classified and what hasn't.

Mike Faber is currently on The Blacklist, so I guess that's why he was a no-show last season, but it would certainly help for him to make an appearance too.

Animeniax
Sun, 01-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Good points, Brody was largely absent from season 3 and it was still a good season. However, I think us knowing that Brody was still out there and his story unresolved is what kept me coming back for more. With that element gone, anything they set up now would have to be from scratch with only a passing connection to the original story. The new stories could stand on their own, if done right.

I would like to see them explore more of the repercussions on Brody's family (his wife anyway, I'd prefer never to see the daughter on screen again), but Faber is the character I'd really want to see explored further. If he's busy with The Blacklist, I wonder if he'd make time for Homeland. Jessica as an outcast housewife has limited potential in a spy thriller, though threats against her from terrorists could prolong the Brody storyline. I wonder if the son learning about his father's exploits and following in his footsteps (as a marine or as a jihadist) would be a worthwhile story to explore, though he's too young so they'd have to advance the time frame.